Champs League Play

Toronto_Mike

Scent of a Woman
Posted this in another forum:

Inter Milan -0.25 @ 2.15 (5 Units)

Best in Italy vs Best in England, Blue vs Red, Jose Mourinho vs Sir Alex Ferguson. Plenty of intriguing matchups in this fixture, one that many had tip to see in the latter stages but to spice things up this round, one of the titans will have to be knocked out.

Inter are again topping the table in Italy, prior to the season there was lots of internal issues due to match fixing allegations going around, whether or not Inter's titles were credible when teams such as Juventus and AC Milan suffered. Out goes Mancini, in comes Jose Mourinho the "Special One". Mourinho had seen success at one of the top leagues in the world in the EPL with Chelsea. Installing fear to a lot of opposition when visiting the Bridge, having a break wall of a midfield and defense, though the games were not beautiful to watch he knew how to get the job done. He is starting to install a very similar situation with Inter, building from the back and moving on up.

Manchester Utd, the name itself you know will ALWAYS compete at the highest of standards. Again for the last few seasons, Utd has started out slowly but they gain steam and when the engines start rolling this team is just unbeatable, only a fluke goal or just mental frustration causes them to slip up some precious points. This season we've seen a collective TEAM effort. Last season we saw Ronaldo light it up from all parts of the park, however, as expected, his off season surgery has seen a dip on form....or could his mind be elsewhere with transfers? A good mix of experience and youth makes this squad extremely talented. Giggs and Scholes seem to want to play till their 40+ and rightfully so they have produced some superb performances and contributed on key occasions. Fergie has also put some faith on the youngsters such as Rafael, Evans, Nani and Rooney. Along the way the Red Devils a potent hitman in Berbatov, though he is notorious for looking lazy he actually puts out quite an effort and on his day is a very very difficult target man to mark.

Defense:

Inter's defense is filled with quite a few characters, one of them being Marco Materazzi but good thing he doesn't play an important role. Walter Samuel and Christian Chivu have proven to be a stellar defensive duo for Mourinho. On a side note these players were legendary for FM a few seasons back! Chivu is a proven leader, extremely organized and he is very very versatile at times we've seen him play left midfield! It is great to see Samuel at his best again, sidelined through injuries he is not proving his worth and giving back to the team that kept their faith in him. On the right will be Maicon, one of today's top Right Fullbacks. Don't think he's human sometimes with the amount he runs, just non stop and he certainly is quite a package. One gap that might prove to be an issue will be the left. This season for Inter Maxwell and the youngster Davide Santon have rotated that leftback position. They are decent players but when they have to potentially mark a player such as Ronaldo....that could pose a problem.

Man Utd will need to figure out what to do without Vidic or Evans. Last I heard Evans did travel but is unlikely to start so would that mean O'Shea to partner up Rio? On paper this is a BIG BIG blow to lose out Vidic quite simply because he has been their best defensive player this season hands down. He also would of been absolutely perfect to mark Ibrahimovic, I will explain later. I can only assume Ferguson has someting up his sleeve here so perhaps Rafael-O'Shea-Rio-Evra sort of line up? Not too sure about Rafael sometimes, he can be rather erratic and get too excited but he is progressing that's for sure. Evra vs Maicon will be an interesting match, two players with great pace and venture up frequently...loads of running there.

Midfield:

For Inter to win this match it is absolutely crucial for them to control the midfield. There is plenty of creativity on Utd's squad to destroy any team, infact I would love to see Utd play Barca at their best but nevertheless that may happen later. Inter's midfield would consist of Cambiasso, Zanetti, Muntari and Stankovic. Only Stankovic is the more attacking minded player. Cambiasso will prove to be vital here, he needs to be on top notch tackling form and as well not get caught up with silly fouls. Muntari is another second option to play defensively though Mourinho has allowed him some more creative freedom. Captain Zanetti has been lights out this season another one of those classic footballers who works hard, leads by example and is no nonsense. Though age is catching up to him, his presence is KEY to Inter's success. He is calm, composed and always gives 110%.

Man Utd's midfield is rather interesting. A very good mix of youth and width. Carrick and Scholes to settle things in the middle with their much more calm approach, Ronaldo to cause havoc on either of the wings I would presume left if Nani does play ahead of Park. I fear for Ronaldo....I honestly do because without a doubt, Mourinho has probably put a huge target on this player's back. I won't be surprised to see Inter rotate players on Ronaldo and just get him extremely frustrated. When it comes to big games....I think Ronaldo just disappears, not too sure why, is it all the attention or are the opposition just a tad bit more difficult to manuver around. But, Ronaldo isn't necessarily the key here, the midfield has to play as one collective group rather than allowing one player to do all the work, Utd is very good at getting EVERYONE involved so this is very crucial for them.

Attack:

Inter's attack also has some characters. Adriano has caused quite a bit of negative attention in 2008, Mourinho has given this fella quite a number of opportunities but sometimes Adriano's mentallity is not in it. The Emperor was one of the most feared strikers in the game a few seasons ago but partying, drugs, alcohol caught up with him, he lost shape and had to retrain even harder than others just to be on the team. Zlatan Ibrahimovic can be either fun or extremely frustrating to watch. Again his body language is similar to Berbatov only difference is when he looks like he's not interested...he really is not interested. He is a cheeky player when things goes his way he rubs it into the defenses, especially younger players but his main problem is he can be a little bit of a tart. Vidic would of been the best man to mark him, fantastic size, speed and also he could talk his mouth out and frustrate Zlatan. There is one player in Italy that Zlatan hates to play and that is Chellini, why? Simple the guy is on him like glue and is the one doing all the trash talking, pinching of the cheek, etc. But without Vidic today, I have a hard time witnessing who would be the one to do it.

What can we say about Man Utd's attack? Ha such a selection for Ferguson, any manager would dream of, but only a few managers can handle such power as well as Ferguson. It's a shame that there has to be an odd player out at times and I wonder what goes through Tevez's mind at times. Seems like he wants to leave then commit then leave then commit. Nevertheless he is a fantastic player to watch because how many forwards do you see put out an effort like a defensive midfielder? Not too many. I think Utd's striking partnership of Berbatov and Rooney is the best one I've seen in years. Both players compliment each other, Rooney does most of the running, but Berbatov's ability to hold up the ball set up through balls makes speed and power such a lethel combination. Against the Inter defense, I believe Rooney will be the more important player. Samuel and Chivu aren't necessarily your fastest centrebacks nor do they enjoy playing against smaller players. Berbatov will not outmuscle either of those players so he must be ready to create his own space. Width wise I Utd will again require their pace of play to do all the talking here, frustrate the Inter players to committing and break them on counters.

Overall:

For THIS match I believe Inter are currently in better shape with their squad selection, but of course you never know with Man Utd because Fergie is such a master at man management. I think Inter's midfield is more than capable enough to contain Utd's midfield at home and with all due respect, Ronaldo is not going to enjoy playing this game at all. This is going to be very very physical and the referee needs to watch out. Inter has all the necessary players for this team but the key will be, is their head in the game as well? All talk and no play doesn't do anything especially when you play a world class team. Utd will know, keep it together, stay patient and limit the amount of turnovers, pace of play is on Utd's court, they can step it up or take it down a notch so watch for them to really try and control the pace of play. However when you have Mourinho around you know that the pace of play will be contained a very minimal rate. This is Inter's best chance to catch Utd off guard with their key missings. Though that should not be their main reason why they could beat Utd. Big games mean big game performances from one team and just a nervy one from another. I think Inter are prepared for this whereas Utd are still trying to figure out a line up. Nevertheless, an encounter to really look out for.

Prediction:

Inter Milan 2-0 Manchester Utd

Very nice preview mate!
I agree with you on this one. I think United's defence will have their hands full of Zlatan and Adriano. Plus Mourinho always has a gameplan against Ronaldo. I think if they an contain him United will have hard time getting decent chanes.
Inter gets it done IMO.

Good luck!

Very nice preview mate!
I agree with you on this one. I think United's defence will have their hands full of Zlatan and Adriano. Plus Mourinho always has a gameplan against Ronaldo. I think if they an contain him United will have hard time getting decent chanes.
Inter gets it done IMO.

Good luck!

Thanks Zecco, I always appreciate your thoughts and I'm glad to see that you are on the same page. Overall though Man Utd will probably qualify but I do think Inter has a great shot to win here.

BOL

This match is really more of Murinho vs Sir Alex.

This is going to be soooo f*** tactical of a game that if anyone of you outthere is a coach you might get a hard-on :36_11_6:

No matter what, great players on the field and a great game to be at. Anyone have any spare tickets and a flight they can hand out???

Sounds like your guys are predicting a game that has a GREAT chance of going under the 2 goal O/U

gl mike and zecco, personally i'm staying away from this one and just enjoying it as a Inter fan, so i really hope you guys are right... but if was forced to make a bet here i wouldnt back inter at all...

to me its all about experience. Inter owns italian league, and thats it, nobody can argue about that. But when it comes down to international games, Inter has been proven to be a really weak side. I know these are quarterfinals and players will step up big time, but still i can't trust a team that struggled so much against Anorthosis, Panathinaikos, Werder Brema. Samuel is out injured, so thats a huge defection too.
Inter is on shape and that is true, but again, we're talking about Italian league, and not Champions League.
Inter won't come out aggressive and desperate to get a win here, cause they know how scary Man.utd can be on fast breaks.. add to that the fact that Inter often tends to allow goals, i can see both teams being very careful therefore my pick would also be an under, but odds are too short...

GL GUYS!

Last edited:
GL Mike great write up. I'm hoping these teams come out to win & not become a tactical defensive show down.

Sounds like your guys are predicting a game that has a GREAT chance of going under the 2 goal O/U

Careful with the total here, very very heavy back on Under 2.25 and down to 2 if anything if there is plus money on the Over i'd take it. But historically these rounds of the CL have seen minimal goals. I just feel that one goal you will see one team start to panic and either of these teams can counter at a world class rate.

Man U is going with a 4-5-1
Rooney and Tevez on the Bench

I'm going under, I think they are going for a draw and hope for a goal on the counter or make a push in the last 10 mins

Back