CFP: Clemson vs Ohio State Discussion

Dabo Sweeney ranked Ohio state 11th in his USA Today coaches poll. I think that’s about right actually. Not to mention funny as hell. And don’t be thinking it will help osu with motivation. I can be as motivated as hell to beat up mike Tyson and he would still kick my ass. GL

Dabo Sweeney ranked Ohio state 11th in his USA Today coaches poll. I think that’s about right actually. Not to mention funny as hell. And don’t be thinking it will help osu with motivation. I can be as motivated as hell to beat up mike Tyson and he would still kick my ass. GL

Swinney always finds ways to motivate his teams in his own right. It's very rare that you don't see Clemson playing with an edge of some sort.

I think he's just as good as Saban right now. 1A and 1B. You choose.

Swinney always finds ways to motivate his teams in his own right. It's very rare that you don't see Clemson playing with an edge of some sort.

Top 2 in the game for sure. Interesting because they do it differently.

recruiting for one. So so different.

Are we just assuming Ohio State gets blown out here?
I gotta think Trevor is on a mission after last year.
I do not see them winning this game....the cover is a different story but with Dabo today and can see him digging in.

If you are into a buy low, sell high perception thing this would fit Ohio State.

Clemson off avenging only loss in blowout fashion vs Notre Dame. Ohio State being the butt of jokes and looked bad vs Northwestern.

Whoops -- I guess someone beat me to the punch.

If you are into a buy low, sell high perception thing this would fit Ohio State.

Clemson off avenging only loss in blowout fashion vs Notre Dame. Ohio State being the butt of jokes and looked bad vs Northwestern.

Clemson doesn't have letdowns.

Clemson doesn't have letdowns.

I know. Or allow 2 point conversions.

No I wasn't saying the teams, the perception of things on buying things that aren't viewed favorably and selling things that everyone likes.

IMO there is no better big game team than Clemson right now. ..so yes, I believe the BC, virginia syracuse games were games they played simple schemes and played more to teach lessons then to win big. If venables wanted too he could of shut all those teams out. Full circle to notre dame, as another example of venables and dabo with more time to prepare for someone.

So I think none of the clemson bad performances matter. Ohio State meanwhile has not yet had 1 of their own great performancess. So the ohio state bad performances matter because it appears when they actually want to blow someone out, they can't. And there were ohio state players saying they needed to blow northwestern out prior. Indiana and northwestern are not teams that should have any business being close with the elite. None.

Last year ohio state put 52 up on northwestern. Was that nw d much worse last year ?? no, it was not. The NW d was much of the same last year. ...the other ohio state games - they put up decent numbers but in comparison to last year they were doing those numbers in 1 half and playing backups in the second. 4 quarter games trying to score points this year.

Obviously the ohio state defense is worse, but the offense is worse too. Protection is an issue. # 116 in sack rate ! How is that going to hold up against venables. Their only hope in this game is too have success running.

I believe ohio state is not just marginally worse than last year. 14 points worse even you could say - I think they beat indiana and nw by 21+ last year. There is really nothing in the data in games played to think Ohio State can hang in this game close besides the word potential and talent because much of it is still there on offense - idea being they can put it together and win a high scoring game because on defense I don't even think they have the potential - they lack talent in the safety position in a big way.

IMO there is no better big game team than Clemson right now. ..so yes, I believe the BC, virginia syracuse games were games they played simple schemes and played more to teach lessons then to win big. If venables wanted too he could of shut all those teams out. Full circle to notre dame, as another example of venables and dabo with more time to prepare for someone.

So I think none of the clemson bad performances matter. Ohio State meanwhile has not yet had 1 of their own great performancess. So the ohio state bad performances matter because it appears when they actually want to blow someone out, they can't. And there were ohio state players saying they needed to blow northwestern out prior. Indiana and northwestern are not teams that should have any business being close with the elite. None.

Last year ohio state put 52 up on northwestern. Was that nw d much worse last year ?? no, it was not. The NW d was much of the same last year. ...the other ohio state games - they put up decent numbers but in comparison to last year they were doing those numbers in 1 half and playing backups in the second. 4 quarter games trying to score points this year.

Obviously the ohio state defense is worse, but the offense is worse too. Protection is an issue. # 116 in sack rate ! How is that going to hold up against venables. Their only hope in this game is too have success running.

I believe ohio state is not just marginally worse than last year. 14 points worse even you could say - I think they beat indiana and nw by 21+ last year. There is really nothing in the data in games played to think Ohio State can hang in this game close besides the word potential and talent because much of it is still there on offense - idea being they can put it together and win a high scoring game because on defense I don't even think they have the potential - they lack talent in the safety position in a big way.
Great stuff

What's the OSU Covid situation after the change to 17 days? All clear?

Fields thumb injury okay?

I see this game kinda like I saw the 2012 Nat'l Championship game Bama vs N.D. In my mind there was no doubt who was going to win but seemed to be a lot of debate on how N.D. might beat Bama. I think line was around Bama -10. Score was 42-14

Pretty much everyone laughed when they hired him and I was certainly one of them. Never could have predicted he would be this successful.

Brandon streeter will be calling plays. Clemson has employed the “dual threat OC” since Chad Morris went to SMU. Started with Elliot and Jeff Scott (USF HC). Streeter was hired as QB Coach in 2014 when Morris left. He knows the system well and is front runner for “head” OC when Elliot takes a HC job. I think it will effect Clemson some, but it’s not as bad a loss as one might expect. Also, Lawrence essentially has free reign of the offense anyways.

Biggest question is does Streeter go to the booth where TE was or does he call plays from the field? Also, never good to lose an extra set of eyes. Wonder if Jeff Scott can be an analyst for Clemson, a la Saban?

Brandon streeter will be calling plays. Clemson has employed the “dual threat OC” since Chad Morris went to SMU. Started with Elliot and Jeff Scott (USF HC). Streeter was hired as QB Coach in 2014 when Morris left. He knows the system well and is front runner for “head” OC when Elliot takes a HC job. I think it will effect Clemson some, but it’s not as bad a loss as one might expect. Also, Lawrence essentially has free reign of the offense anyways.

Biggest question is does Streeter go to the booth where TE was or does he call plays from the field? Also, never good to lose an extra set of eyes. Wonder if Jeff Scott can be an analyst for Clemson, a la Saban?
Good notes

This game is going to be awesome....last year's Fiesta was one of the best CFB games I've ever seen. Both teams not quite as good this year IMO but the motivational angles for both teams are just off the charts. I have some Clemson ML and will probably come back with tOSU + the points in some fashion. I think Fields will play his best game of the year and keep it close but Lawrence should be awesome as well. Probably do more running than he's done all year....his big run last year is what turned the tables IIRC.

Ohio State's depth chart won't have as many holes for Friday's College Football Playoff semifinal at the Sugar Bowl, but coach Ryan Day said that doesn't mean the Buckeyes are back to full strength.

Ohio State was without several key players for the Big Ten Championship Game on Dec. 19, including star receiver Chris Olave and linebacker Baron Browning, along with 20 others. At the time, Big Ten protocols required anyone exposed to COVID-19 to spend 21 days in quarantine, but the league reduced that requirement following the Buckeyes' win that secured a spot in the playoff.

The rule change means Olave and others will be back on the field for Friday's game against the Clemson Tigers, but Day said it's impossible to gauge just how game-ready those players will be after most spent two weeks or more away from football activities.

"Full strength is a floating target right now," Day said. "Those guys who come off quarantine and isolation, they have a protocol to get back on the field. You don't just play football after not doing anything for nine or 10 days. All those guys we were missing for the last month are working their way back. We are getting a lot of guys back, but to say 100%, it's different. The good news is they're working their way back and getting stronger every day."

In addition, quarterback Justin Fields is dealing with a thumb injury that he suffered in a Big Ten title game that ended with the worst passing performance of his career. Day and Fields both said earlier this week that Fields should be fine by kickoff, but neither elaborated on the injury.

And Ohio State isn't quite out of the woods on COVID-19 concerns yet, either. While the ACC's testing protocols mean Clemson has already tested for the last time, Ohio State still has two more rounds of PCR testing to go, including prior to Thursday's departure for New Orleans.

"It's a unique situation that we don't have the same protocols going into the game, but I'm not gong to spend time thinking about that," Day said. "I'm tired of that. As long as the guys are healthy playing the game, that's what matters. We'll have PCR before we get on the plane and go from there. At the end of the day, the goal is to have a clean field, so we'll follow the protocol that's been set forth."

Not sure it's relevant at all, but Streeter *played* under OC's Steve Ensminger and Rich Rodriguez.

Starting LG Harry Miller did not make the trip to New Orleans after testing positive for Covid. (per Jeff Snook, per Harry Miller's mother Kristina). Unconfirmed rumors that starting LB Baron Browning will miss his 2nd straight game. And unconfirmed rumors that DE Zach Harrison did not make trip to New Orleans because of Covid. None of these losses would be huge, but certainly wouldn't help matters for OSU. Miller is likely the weakest link on the OL right now, and Justin Hilliard was likely an upgrade over Browning again N'Western. Harrison is in the DL rotation, and at this point is probably their second best option at DE right now.

Starting LG Harry Miller did not make the trip to New Orleans after testing positive for Covid. (per Jeff Snook, per Harry Miller's mother Kristina). Unconfirmed rumors that starting LB Baron Browning will miss his 2nd straight game. And unconfirmed rumors that DE Zach Harrison did not make trip to New Orleans because of Covid. None of these losses would be huge, but certainly wouldn't help matters for OSU. Miller is likely the weakest link on the OL right now, and Justin Hilliard was likely an upgrade over Browning again N'Western. Harrison is in the DL rotation, and at this point is probably their second best option at DE right now.
Appreciate the updates

Browning is playing from what I've read.
Seems like most here think it's a Clemson blowout.

Clemson 1H o17.5
19.5 at my shop

I know Ohio St is not as loaded as they were last year especially on D but I can’t seem to forget last year where the Buckeyes outplayed them for a big chunk of the game. Not sure if they have that in them or not right now....

16 players unavailable for Ohio State. Other than midseason injuries (Cam Brown) the list all looks like role players, nothing really. Teague #2 RB maybe something if Sermon gets hurt.

Attachments

• 2668BFF0-2F22-488A-8A3F-616DE32883EE.jpeg
    2668BFF0-2F22-488A-8A3F-616DE32883EE.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 11
Back