CFB Week 15 (12/3-12/6) News and Picks

ASU Volleyball Does A Body Good

3 Dec, 2008 Sports
<center></center> Rachey looks like she was a big loss for the Arizona State University volleyball squad. Judging from their current roster, I think they struggled to find someone to fill out her spandex as well as she did. Luckily for you, after the break you get to see what was hiding underneath those spandex shorts for the past four years. (NSFW unless you work at Victoria’s Secret).

A British nurse turned model turned B actress to get you through the day…
abi1.JPG
More Abi after the jump.

Seriously, who uses a rotary phone anymore?

ND Can Still Epically Fail Some More This Year

from Boiled Sports by J Money
So it appears that Fat Charlie has gotten a reprieve (depending on how you look at it) and will be back to coach the Irish next season. It's, of course, funny to talk like that since the guy has another seven years on his existing contract. And I do still think there's the chance that he gets canned next week as UND has proven themsleves unscrupulous before and could very well be currently sniffing around discreetly for other candidates who won't a) turn them down (ahem, Urban!) or b) lie about their resume (ahem, George!).

Okay, though, assuming the Big Manatee is safe for another year, you might think it's time to put away the UND Haterade for the season because, really, what more can happen to them? Well, I have an answer for you.

Notre Dame currently -- eagerly -- awaits their bowl invite. And while we all wish nobody invites the mediocre 6-6 squad, you know somebody will. And Notre Dame will go and collect their paycheck.

One thing that's not often pointed out, though we try to do it as often as we can, is the fact that Notre Dame's last bowl victory came on January 1, 1994, when they eeked out a win over Texas A&M, 24-21. That was almost fifteen years ago, folks. I was in high school. Boilerdowd had hair. Tim was thin. I mean, it was a long time ago!

But that's not where they can set yet another mark in futility. No, we've heard loads about how this is the worst two-season stretch in UND history. But if UND loses their bowl game, they will drop to 6-7 on the season (after a 4-1 start, no less), which would be their second straight sub-.500 season. And do you know the last time that happened? 22 years ago, in '85 and '86, during the Gerry Faust to Lou Holtz transition.

Being able to compare any UND team to one from the Gerry Faust Era is fun, because Domers who remember Faust's teams almost vomit when you bring him up. Try it, it's fun! And a team run by such a schematic genius as Chuck Weis being compared to a Faust team, often considered the darkest period in UND history?

Well, that would just be a shravesty.

"It is all but certain that Nebraska will be playing in the Konica Minolta Gator Bowl," Big 12...

from Corn Nation by corn blight
"It is all but certain that Nebraska will be playing in the Konica Minolta Gator Bowl," Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe said. "Formal Big 12 procedures prevent the conference from making an official announcement until Sunday afternoon. We are aware that fans from all of our schools, including Nebraska, want to begin making plans to attend these contests."
Gator Bowl Tickets Available for Husker Fans - Huskers.com—Nebraska Athletics Official Web Site

BREAKING...Sarkisian to be named head coach at UW

from Conquest Chronicles by Paragon SC
Just saw it on ESPN
More as I get it...
UPDATE
Hee is the link from ESPN's Joe Schad
Southern Cal offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian will be named Washington coach, multiple sources told ESPN's Joe Schad on Thursday night.
Sarkisian, who was quarterback at BYU, led the Cougars to a 13-1 finish in 1996. He has been the offensive coordinator at USC for two seasons. He was a up for the Raiders head coaching job last year before it went to fellow USC assistant Lane Kiffin, who earlier this week was named head coach at Tennessee.
Texas Tech coach NMike Leach and Fresno State coach Pat Hill also interviewed for the job.

Washington To Hire Steve Sarkisian Unless You Ask Washington's Athletic Director

from The FanHouse - NCAAfootball
by Chas RichFiled under: USC, Washington, Pac 10
ssarkisian1.jpg
News of Washington's head coach search been crawling along the bottom of ESPN since yesterday. First it was Texas Tech coach Mike Leach withdrawing his name from consideration for the position. Then, earlier today, Fresno State's Pat Hill pulled his name from consideration. At that point, it was clear someone else had been tabbed for the job. That someone would be USC associate head coach and offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian.

Washington's athletic director, Scott Woodward, had an impromptu meeting with the media shortly before the Oklahoma State-Washington basketball game. He neither confirmed or denied anything.
Once inside the workroom and surrounded by reporters, Woodward said, "We do not have an announcement to make. We're not going to talk about it until I have something to talk about."

Asked specifically about ESPN's unattributed crawl report that USC assistant Steve Sarkisian has been hired, Woodward responded coyly, "I haven't seen it."
Down in Los Angeles, Sarkisian also refused to confirm. He admitted to having the interview, but nothing else. It is expected that Washington is waiting until after the USC-UCLA game to make the announcement.

Meanwhile Norm Chow has to be wondering what it will take to get an offer with Lane Kiffin and now Sarkisian getting head jobs at BCS schools.

Big Titted Blonde Kayleigh Pearson

<!--mfunc tagparser_cache::show_tag() --><!--/mfunc-->
It took me all of three seconds to decide whether or not I should post these pictures of Kaleigh Pearson. On the one hand I have no idea who she is but on the other she’s a blonde with big fucking tits. It was a landslide.

THE BRITISH ERIN ANDREWS

Erin Andrews has been named America’s Sexiest Sportscaster for the second year running, but perhaps Playboy should open up the competition to foreign candidates: Charlotte Jackson of the UK’s Setanta Sports News has the same kind of fervent following across the pond that Erin Pageviews garners here. And by “fervent” I mean “sweaty, unshaven, and likely to masturbate in a public restroom.”
Charlie is an avid soccer fan who, unlike Andrews, happened to do a little bit of modeling before her present gig. In other words, the British version is way way better. What’s the matter, Erin? Think you don’t need to get photographed in lingerie because you’re well-established and credible and competent? Are you too good for us or something?
You are? Oh. All right then. Carry on.

Emily Scott and Marieka Van Den Bergh are nice

Emily Scott might have the best eyes I have ever seen on a woman. You know... her eyes... those things on her face above her stellar breasts. There you go...

No idea who this Marieka Van Den Bergh chick is but the boys at Ralph sure do know how to find some nice ass to fill out a bikini, don't they? I wonder why Ralph and those other awesome lad mags from other countries don't have versions for the U.S.? I know I'd subscribe.

Headlinin': Mr. Sarkisian goes to Washington, and did Tuberville pull his own plug?

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-335130322-1228487598.jpg
Sark gets his bark on. No official announcement, but per ESPN's reporting Wednesday night, independent confirmations of USC offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian followed quickly from most of the relevant places, including one from a Husky who notes wistfully, "They put up 56 on us." Expect a press conference Sunday or Monday, after the Huskies and Trojans close out their regular seasons in very different fashion on Saturday. Sarkisian's first task: Become the Anti-Ty. Husky fans should be aware that Sarkisian's entire career track is one long, elaborately-conceived, beautifully-orchestrated opportunity to take sweet vengeance on Washington from the inside for dealing his beloved BYU Cougars their only loss in a 14-1 season in 1996. You know what they say: Revenge is a dish best served with a middling West Coast offense. I'll be interested to see how Jukin' Jake Locker and his erratic arm fit into Sarkisian's "pro style" system.
It wasn't my idea, fellas, ya gotta believe me. Maybe because he's been taking so much heat about the apparent dismissal of a coach with Tommy Tuberville's track record, Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs was emphatic Thursday that the decision was all Tuberville's:
Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville’s job was not in jeopardy when he decided to step down and he declined several requests from his bosses to reconsider, athletic director Jay Jacobs said Thursday.
Jacobs said Tuberville’s departure after 10 mostly successful seasons was "completely his decision" and that the coach would be leading the Tigers next season if he had not chosen to leave.
"To say the least, I was a little shocked," the AD said. "But after three times of asking him would he change his mind, he convinced me that the best thing for him and his family and for this football program was for him to possibly take a year off and take a step back.
"I asked him three times (to reconsider), and so did the president," he said.
Mother Tuberville definitely does not agree with that recollection, though Tuberville himself isn't saying murder or suicide. He's just saying he's going to get his $5.1 million buyout -- though it wasn't owed him because he wasn't fired, according to Jacobs, it was just "the right thing to do" -- and leave the intrigue to the press.
Jacobs can still get out of this OK if he lands Mike Leach. The other names floating around -- Jimbo Fisher and Houston Nutt, for example -- seem too absurd to take seriously given those coaches' current security. Leach is the only "big name" on the market, and Auburn the only top-20 job with a vacancy. The best reaction the Tigers are going to get with any other hire is "meh."
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-143120346-1228487617.jpg
Krags has the right people in his corner. Even before last night's unmerciful, 63-14 beatdown at Rutgers (actually, as it was 49-0 at the half, Rutgers may have demonstrated considerable mercy) I got a couple rumors in the inbox suggesting Thursday's game would be Steve Kragthorpe's last at Louisville. The loss was the Cardinals' fifth straight, dropped them to 5-7 overall and 1-6 in the Big East, good for dead last -- yes, even below Syracuse, courtesy the Orange's shocking head-to-head win on Nov. 1. That was one of only three conference wins Greg Robinson collected at the 'Cuse, and the second in two tries against Kragthorpe. Even with bowl-eligibility on the line, the Cardinals that showed up Piscataway were listless, hopeless and thoroughly outclassed by an outfit that had plenty of reasons of its own to give up in October: The Knights ran up 671 yards, Mike Teel threw seven touchdown passes (six in the first half) on 17 yards per throw and the same team that began the year 0-5 against I-A competition banked its sixth straight win, by an average of 25 points.
But Louisville AD Tom Jurich immediately defended Kragthorpe, who's 11-13 in two years after taking over a 13-1 Orange Bowl winner. According to Jurich: "He's fighting through it." According to one commenter at Card Chronicle during the game: "Maybe 'Coach' will leave for Michigan State at halftime." No such luck yet, guys.
Quickly ... Michigan wrapped up its season in a terse banquet, and potential transfer risk Sam McGuffie was conspicuously absent. ... Longtime Tennessee DC John Chavis is at the top of Dabo Swinney's defensive coordinator wish list at Clemson. ... Al Golden has rejected overtures from Syracuse, possibly to pursue the Penn State gig in the near future? ... You think the L.A. Times will go one way with USC-UCLA, and they switch it up on you: Rick Neuheisel's still smelling like roses, while USC football just isn't the same without Norm Chow. ... Miami's going to a bowl, but has no idea where. ... Percy Harvin is still questionable for the SEC Championship with a bum ankle. ... Sam Bradford will have surgery on his non-throwing hand the morning after the Big 12 Championship game. ... And serially troubled Tennessee safety Demetrice Morley was arrested Thursday on a warrant and a big misunderstanding.

UConn Players Love Booze, Driving

from Orange::44 by Brian Harrison
Does this look like a man who would drink and then operate a motor vehicle?
The UConnvicts are back at it. This time it is the football team getting in on the action. According to The Connecticut Post, backup running back Andre Dixon was arrested for a DUI in Storrs, and was subsequently suspended from the team.

Andre Dixon, the junior tailback, was arrested by UConn Police on N. Eagleville Road after Dixon failed a series of field sobriety tests. He was stopped because he was following too closely to an officer’s vehicle. He was then placed under arrest and is now out on a $500 cash bail and is scheduled to be back in Rockville Superior Court on December 15th. Meanwhile, UConn Football Coach Randy Edsall has suspended him for the rest of the season.

This is not Dixon’s brush with rules. Dixon was suspended for the first two games of the 2007 football season for unspecified violations of team rules. Either way, this guy is talking like he blew his second chance opportunity. This very well may be the end of Dixon’s career at UConn as a football player. What a shame. DWI is one of the most avoidable crimes there are. It’s simple, you can either drink or drive your car, but not both. You can walk, get a cab, or get a buddy to take you. This was just a stupid mistake by a young man who should have known better. UConnvicts strike again!​

Miss COED: Kandyce Proia

<abbr class="published" title="2008-12-05T12:30:23+0000"><script type="text/javascript">document.write(time_since(1228498223, "December 5, 2008 - 12:30 pm,"));</script>4 hours, 24 minutes ago</abbr> By COED Staff
kandyce-proia.jpg

Tight-bodied hottie, Kandyce Proia, 25, is one of the hottest up-and-comers around. She’s appeared on FHM.com as their Digital Darlings winner and has been featured on countless other Websites, as well as landing spots in tons of calendars, promotional spots. But if you ask us, she should be a hell of a lot more places than that!
Check out Kandyce Proia’s Miss COED gallery after the jump!
<style type="text/css"> .gallery { margin: auto; } .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 33%; } .gallery img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; } </style> <!-- see gallery_shortcode() in wp-includes/media.php --> <dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>
<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>
<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>

The former Wild On! host to get you through the day…
cindy1.jpg
More Cindy after the jump.

The problem with Wild On! was usually you get to bang the chicks you go on vacation with…

Vandy headed to Music City Bowl

from Conquer And Prevail: Front Page Posts by Jarred Amato
While bowl bids don't go out until Sunday, it's almost certain that Kentucky will travel to Memphis to play in the Liberty Bowl, which means Vanderbilt will remain in Nashville to play in the Music City Bowl.
From The Herald-Leader:
If two bowls make bids on the same team, the team gets to pick which bowl it will attend. Kentucky Coach Rich Brooks said on his radio show Monday night that he and the players would rather go to the Liberty Bowl than make a third consecutive trip to the Music City.
Brooks cited the desire to experience something different as the main reason to opt for Memphis over Nashville.
So there you have it. Whether the Commodores like it or not, they'll be playing an ACC opponent on Dec. 31. What are your thoughts on the news?

Mike Goodson not expected back at Texas A&M

12:23 PM Fri, Dec 05, 2008 | Permalink | <script src="http://d.yimg.com/ds/badge.js"></script>Yahoo! Buzz
Pete Aldrich <!--
bio-icon.jpg
Bio --> E-mail News tips
From Kate Hairopoulos ...
Texas A&M tailback Mike Goodson is not expected to return for his senior season, coach Mike Sherman said Friday. Asked if Goodson was leaving to declare for the NFL draft, Sherman said, "it's a combination of things."
Sherman has been meeting with players all week since the Aggies' season ended with a loss at Texas on Thanksgiving. He has not met with Goodson.

BeatByTexasBowl.com: The Longhorn Banner That Will Haunt Your Dreams All Weekend

by Will BrinsonFiled under: Oklahoma, Texas, BCS, Big 12, NCAA FB Campus, NCAA FB Fans, NCAA FB Gossip, NCAA FB Media Watch, Bowl Games
beatbytexasbowl.com.jpg
The Texas Longhorns are -- as we have already covered an insane number of times -- straight up teed off that they have zero say in the Big 12 Championship. (I for one totally agree, but that's neither here nor there.) Members of this community are, purportedly, so chapped that tomorrow, during the Big 12 Championship game, they have spent enough money to run a "BeatByTexasBowl.com" banner behind an airplane.

I know, it does sound ridiculous and <strike>Texas</strike> crazy; but if Longhorn Nation is right, well, folks, it's happening.
Longhorn Nation has never been much of a conformist, but we'll make an exception, in this case.

Since, the popular thing right now, seems to be flying banners over stadiums and campuses and expressing your disdain for the BCS, we thought we jump in, feet first, and take an active roll in the foolishness.

Tomorrow, roughly 2 hours before kickoff (and, while the sun is still up) - this banner will make half a dozen passes or so over the surrounding areas of Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri:

Enjoy the BeatByTexasBowl.com
Jeebus, people. It's one thing to get upset because you got totally shafted and then decide to take action ... but this -- this is just absurd. Okay, I'm lying. This is freaking awesome. Seriously, it is.

Texas fans are saying (essentially): "We care so little about anything else in the world -- the economy, our families, world peace, hunger, yada yada yada, that we want to spend money on a banner solely for the purpose of spiting Oklahoma and anyone who doesn't think we're deserving of being great."

God that's so ridiculous, dumb and stupid. And hells yes it's awesome.

Filed under: Boise State, Mississippi State, SEC, WAC, NCAA FB Coaching, General CFB Insanity
cpetersen.jpg
The rumor today on the coaching carousel was that Boise State head coach Chris Petersen was heading to Mississippi State. This was an early rumor since the Mississippi State athletic director, Greg Byrne worked at Oregon at the same time that Petersen was an assistant coach there. The rumor gained "legitimacy" when an Idaho TV station (KVIV-TV) started reporting an posting that Petersen had been offered a four-year, $9 million deal.

Then Boise State and Chris Petersen issued a statement.
"I have a lot of respect for director of athletics Greg Byrne and the Mississippi State athletic program, but I am not taking the head coaching position at Mississippi State. Mississippi State has not offered me the head coaching position. I normally do not comment on coaching positions at other schools, but felt I needed to do so in this situation. We are very happy here at Boise State and look forward to our upcoming bowl game later this month."
That tanked the rumor and KVIV completely changed the story -- scrubbing any reference to a contract offer in the story. (No one appears to have a screen shot, but at least a couple sites had linked to the article and cited it as mentioning the contract length and money.)

It seems very likely that Petersen is indeed staying at Boise State. At the very least, he is not taking the Mississippi State job. The Bulldog job just does not fit Petersen from a geographic profile. With the exception of one season as the QB coach at Pitt in 1992, the California native's history is all based on the West Coast and Boise.

Petersen, considering how good a coach he is and where he coaches, will continue to be the subject to plenty of rumors and wish lists when there is a coaching change. It seems very likely that eventually he will take a bigger job, just not today.​
Chris Petersen Is Not Heading to Mississippi State or Anywhere Else -- for Now originally appeared on NCAA Football FanHouse on Fri, 05 Dec 2008 22:08:00 EST . Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

NC State Bowl Picture Clears Up If Troy Beats Arkansas State

by Sportz AssassinFiled under: NC State, ACC, Bowl Games
ncsu-grant-halverson.jpg
Last week, I told you that NC State is fighting an uphill battle to get themselves into a bowl game. The Wolfpack are in a pool of at-large teams that are fighting for just a few open spots.

NC State is relying on a Sun Belt Conference game to help determine their bowl fate. Yeah, that's how far the ACC has fallen.

If Troy beats Arkansas State this Saturday, then the PapaJohns.com Bowl will send an invite to NC State. State would play a Big East team (probably UConn or Pitt) in the Birmingham-based bowl.

If Arkansas State upsets Troy, then they are contractually obligated to go to the PapaJohns.com Bowl and NC State would be left out. Then the Wolfpack's options are the Motor City Bowl or Hawaii Bowl. A spot in the Hawaii Bowl opens up if Arizona State loses to Arizona tomorrow.

Ball State Turns the Ball and the MAC Championship Over to Buffalo

by Chas RichFiled under: Ball State, Buffalo, MAC, NCAA FB Coaching
buffalomac.jpg
That crashing sound from Detroit tonight, actually had nothing to do with the American car industry. That was Ball State's perfect season, the MAC Championship and manufactured outrage at being excluded from the BCS bowls all getting the index card from David Letterman through a window sound effect. The Bulls of Buffalo took out Ball State 42-24.

From the beginning, Buffalo came right at Ball State on defense. They kept Ball State's offense off-balance and on the sidelines. Despite the low scoring game, the Cardinals held a 10-7 halftime lead.

Ball State, and there is no other way to put it, gave this game away in the third quarter. The two teams exchanged scores to start the second half and Ball State seemed to be getting the game under control. They had forced a Buffalo turnover and were poised to take a two score lead. Instead, QB Nate Davis got stood up at the 1-yard line and stripped of the ball. Buffalo DB Mike Newton picked it up at the 8 and took it all the way back for a touchdown.

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-882669581-1228574593.jpg
Buffalo 42, Ball State 28. Despite being outgained by 200 yards, Buffalo returned two Ball State fumbles 92 and 74 yards for touchdowns and scored three touchdowns on drives that began inside the BSU 30 after another pair of Cardinal turnovers and a long kickoff return. If Ball State hangs on to the ball, it's the MAC champion today at 13-0.
Instead, it boots the title game into the Bulls' hands and Turner Gill's stock inches ever upward. For a long time, I did a feature on my old site called the "Buffalo Line Watch," because the Bulls were never favored to win a game; UB was 12-79 from 1999-2006, won more than two games only once (3-8 in 2001) and remained the most reliably hopeless outfit anywhere, year after year. I had to discontinue the feature once Gill arrived, and now -- four Ball State fumbles or not -- that hopeless outfit is the champion of its conference in his third year. Somebody throw dump trucks full of money at this man.

Added:

Navy -9' (-110)

I wanted to play this one right off the bat. Line is sharp but I still like it. We'll see how improved the Army run defense is.

Let's do it today.

Your Saturday in Detail: Sooners and Tide roll into Miami, in very different fashions

Six hyper-specific predictions.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-753248461-1228577627.jpg
Missouri finishes with well over 400 yards and 30-plus points against Oklahoma, but most of it comes after falling behind by two scores in the first half and never coming closer than 10 points to the Sooners through the final three quarters. Sam Bradford has a so-so game overall, including a turnover or two, but also has three touchdown passes to lift OU into the mythical championship game.
East Carolina becomes just the second defense to hold Tulsa under 500 yards total offense while forcing at least three Hurricane turnovers en route to a moderately high-scoring win for the C-USA championship.
Virginia Tech finishes with less than 300 yards but outscores Boston College on defensive/special teams touchdowns, two to one, and beats the Eagles for the ACC championship in a game neither team reaches 20 points. At the very least, if they don't score non-offensive touchdowns, the Hokies will set up a pair of scores on defense and/or special teams.
Alabama controls the clock behind Andre Smith and its big offensive line, running for at least 175 yards, keeping the chains moving on play-action passes and holding the ball for at least six minutes more than Florida. With Percy Harvin out of the lineup, the Gators are held under 150 rushing and fall on a late, third-and-long interception by the Tebow Child, punching the Tide's ticket to the mythical championship.
Offensively, USC doesn't pull away in the Rose Bowl until late in the second half, but the UCLA offense never threatens to score and, like Notre Dame last week, puts no more than a field goal on the board in another ugly, punishing effort from the Trojan defense.
Following Arizona's fourth sack of the game, Rudy Carpenter completes a screen pass while technically unconscious. The short completion turns into a long touchdown and the winning points for Arizona State.

Wait: How many people were at the ACC Championship game?

Scroll down or click here for the Doc's weekly game day live blog.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-917964810-1228604963.jpg
Official attendance for Virginia Tech's win over Boston College in Tampa: 53, 927. That estimate seems rather ... high. ABC appeared reluctant to give us a full stadium shot, but nothing in that broadcast, nor in the above first quarter shot above, indicated Raymond James Stadium was more than 35-40 percent full, at best. The teams combined to sell less than 5,000 of their 20,000-ticket allotment. Credible reports indicated people were literally giving tickets away.
Capacity at Raymond James is just shy of 66,000. Conservatively, the attendance was probably less then 30,000. Realistically, probably less than 25,000. Pessimistically, you can probably go lower if you have a mind to. But that stadium did not make half of the official 80 percent capacity.

Looks like it'll be Utah-Alabama in the Sugar Bowl

from Block U by JazzyUte
The Fiesta is going to pass on the Utes and that leaves the Sugar Bowl and Orange, with the Orange being the less likely of the two. Since Alabama lost to Florida in the SEC Championship tonight, it appears likely that is who Utah will face.
It's going to be a tough contest, but how many times do you get to take on a one-loss Bama team in the Sugar Bowl?
Exactly.
GO UTES! ROLL THE TIDE!

With a foot on his throat, Tebow is Tebow. Only moreso.

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-953210927-1228612326.jpg
Florida 31, Alabama 20. CBS put up a graphic sometime in the fourth quarter, with Florida still trailing 20-17, that the Tebow Child had never led a team from behind to win in the second half. Tebow's line for the rest of the game: 5-of-5 for 74 yards, a first down run on 3rd-and-1, two carries to the goal line to set up scores and, finally, the icing touchdown pass. So there's that on his resumé now, too.
This after a pitch perfect third quarter for Alabama, in which the Tide drove 91 yards for a touchdown, 65 yards for a field goal and held the ball for 11 minutes en route to taking the lead heading into the fourth. At that point, the idea of the big crimson steamroller choking the life out of the speedy Gators looked on the money: They ran and passed, kept the chains moving and kept Tebow standing on the sideline, not leading his team from behind. Out of the locker room in the second half, we got the Tide of Clemson, Georgia, Tennessee and Auburn, a tough, patient, precise bunch barrelling its way to another win.
But as thoroughly as Bama dominated the third quarter, Florida took control of the fourth; the Tide went three-and-out once, and by the time the offense saw the ball again, it was down 11 points with under three minutes to play, and John Parker Wilson's clinching interception under a heavy rush was just a formality.
I do not get the "If they can do this without Percy Harvin, look out" vibe heading into Florida's certain trip to the mythical championship game. The Gators didn't make the big play on the ground for the first time in two months and had to string drives together more than usual. If there's a really impressive takeaway for the next month of scrutiny and speculation, it's not success without Harvin so much as a different, tougher kind of success, against the best defense Florida will face all season, and confirmation that it's still very much Tebow's team when it needs to be.

Oklahoma gets defensive (again), just in time for the defense to face the skeptics

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-889897584-1228627281.jpg
Oklahoma 62, Missouri 21. The focus tonight, deservedly, will be the ongoing exuberance of the Sooner offense, over 500 yards and 45 points for the seventh game in a row, and over 60 for the fifth in a row. For SEC fans, and maybe a few very bitter Longhorns, the focus of the next month will be on the Sooners' lack of D. It's hard to argue otherwise based on the numbers, with U ranking 66th in total defense and 60th in scoring D coming into tonight and having given up 45 and 41, respectively, in its marquee wins over Texas and Oklahoma State.
Twice in the last three weeks, though, the Sooners have two glittering, diamond-encrusted defensive efforts to put in front of the skeptics, against two of the most prolific offenses in the country outside of their own. Against Texas Tech, OU held an offense averaging 47 points in its other 11 games to seven points, three punts, two turnovers on downs and an interception in the first half; the vast majority of the Raiders' eventual 400-yard night came after they trailed 51-7 early in the third quarter. Tonight, against an offense averaging 500-plus yards and 45 points in its first 12 games, Oklahoma held Missouri scoreless on six of the Tigers' first seven drives, and led 41-7 before Mizzou gained the bulk of its 360 yards in the third and fourth quarters. In the first half alone, Chase Daniel was sacked three times, fumbled once and was intercepted once. Look at those scores again if necessary. Daniel and Graham Harrell may as well have played 40 minutes in handcuffs.
Not including gimme wins over Chattanooga and Washington, the Sooners' average halftime advantage for the season is 36-14; since losing to Texas, it's 42-15. Just something to keep in mind when the "one-dimensional/no defense" buzz begins in earnest.

Back