CFB Week 15 (12/3-12/6) News and Picks

Morning Coffee Feels Screwed

from Burnt Orange Nation by GhostofBigRoy
Gary Danielson needs to stop talking. It's going to be hard for someone who gets paid to talk, but it's in the best interests of everyone. He should probably also stop eating paint chips. That's on his family and loved ones to help him out there. Danielson, infamous among Longhorn fans for saying that the Longhorns run a "junk offense," was apparently sad that the Schlabach/Danielson Delusional Club lost a charter member in Mark Schlabach, and is now completing his transition from "Wow, that's ill-informed," to "Stark, raving lunatic."
The target this time are spread offenses, which don't pass the Danielson muster, particularly Michigan, struggling in a transition year without the players to run Dick Rod's version of the spread:
I said in September that Michigan would be the last major program that goes to the spread.I'm sure it's always going to be there for the MAC schools and schools like Kansas and Purdue. But at the top of the food chain, I don't see why you'd risk it. Michigan has really painted itself into a corner.
Danielson goes on to claim that the transition for Michigan could be "cataclysmic" and that it could take five or six years to recover. Or until Rodriguez actually gets the skill position talent to succeed, which could be much sooner than Danielson opines. Generously acknowledged is the fact that the spread offense needs the right personnel to succeed. But then, what offense doesn't need the right personnel?
The author of the article, who now officially joins the Danielson Delusional Club, goes so far as it say that the spread may be dead before noting that there are still some success stories. No kidding? Brian Cook of MGoBlog (tip of the hat for the article link) looked at the 15 top offenses in the country, concluding that 12 of the 15 run some form of the spread. While teams like Purdue have had trouble staying ahead of opposing defenses, I would argue that their lack of success is more a problem of personnel--they haven't been able to recruit the overlooked talent from Texas after losing that pipeline when offensive coordinator Jim Cheney left.
With so many spread teams succeeding, it's ridiculous to use Michigan to claim that spread offenses are going the way of the wishbone. The cupboard was absolutely bare at Michigan after losing Chad Henne, Mike Hart, JJ Arrington and Mario Manningham. Besides, defenses still haven't been able to adjust enough to stop the spread, with all but the elite programs struggling to find enough fast players capable of tackling in space. When Mike Leach can no longer run the same five or so plays he's been using ever since he got to Texas Tech, then it will be time to declare the death of the spread. Danielson sounds old and out-of-touch with his repeated bashings of spread offenses after only watching SEC offenses and concluding that what he sees actually constitutes good offense trumped by better defense. And it all results in losing credibility by the second, the type of loss that suggests he's a few more comments from becoming another clown like Dave Lapham.
Selection committee insanity. ESPN's Brad Edwards sees a problem with the polls. I saw somewhere recently the suggestion that the BCS employ a selection committee similar to the one that college basketball uses, an idea which I like. Edwards accuses human voters of trying to serve as a selection committee, calling for more transparency by the pollsters, alleging that some dropped teams on ballots intentionally to help another, presumably referring to Texas moving ahead of Florida and Oklahoma.
The call for transparency is becoming more widespread, but it's nothing new that the pollsters are working as a selection committee. With human voters constituting two thirds of the final formula, voters became de facto selection committees with the creation of the BCS. The result is propaganda, like that coming from Texas partisans leading the "45-35" campaign, that will become more prevalent and may take nefarious forms, as I wrote last week, but also makes the season some ridiculous beauty pageant targeting people who may only see you play once or twice a year, with everyone trying to earn "style points." Add in the tangled web of coaching allegiances and their own inability to watch many games during the regular season and the whole thing looks worse by the second, a process started years ago. Oh yeah, and Harris poll voters who think that Penn State is still undefeated. What a mess.
Edwards is right to point out the possibilities for manipulation until transparency increases. That's only the first step, though, as the NCAA needs to seriously to consider creating a real selection committee without the biases that coaches possess and without the strange anonymity and unknown qualifications for Harris poll voters.
The two or three-team, one-division conundrum. Conference championship games are a boon to every conference that holds them. They generate money and attention, while ensuring that the final Pac 10 and Big 10 games occur in relative obscurity, sliding from the short attention span of voters. In cases like Alabama and Florida this season, they help settle the debate between two good teams from the same conference, help conclusively decide the champion.
The major issue, of course, is that divisional alignments within conferences mean that having two or three good teams in one divisions completely sends the system into disarray, particularly in the screwy Big 12, where head-to-head match ups don't count and a team gets left out that beat both of the teams in the championship game. The divisional alignment also relies on having consistently good teams evenly split between the two divisions, which clearly hasn't been the case in the Big 12 for years now.
Having two or three or four good teams in one division (like this year) makes the system dysfunctional, since it essentially can't handle more than one good team per divisions. That's why losing to OU is so costly--losing to OU means a slim chance of making the conference championship game, which might rematch OU/Texas were they in different divisions. One possibility is keeping schedules the same, but sending the two teams with the best conference records to the championship game. The other problem is the limit of two BCS bids per conference. Conferences that consistently underperform for multiple years in a row should lose their automatic bid if they aren't as good as a team from a conference that has three good teams stuck in one division.
Why I'm not confident as a Mizzou fan. Sam Bradford is going to absolutely shred the Missouri defense in Kansas City, even in the same weather conditions that Missouri lost in last week. You can bet that Kevin Wilson and his offensive coaches have noticed that sending receivers running up the sideline against Missouri's zone results in open receivers nearly every time. Bradford likely won't even need his lineman to hold repeatedly in an effort to give him more time.
Besides general ineptitude playing zone defense, Missouri also made some glaringly bad defensive decisions against Kansas. The first half brought consistent cornerback blitzes that failed to even bother the diminutive Reesing, while coming exclusively from the man who would otherwise be covering Dezmon Briscoe, one of the best receivers in the conference, leaving him open repeatedly. Followed later by zone blitzes dropping defensive tackle Ziggy Hood (listed at 6-4 and a generous 295 pounds) into coverage over the middle, including the final play of the game. Note to Missouri coaches: Dropping fat defensive tackles into coverage is not the solution to defending spread offenses. I'm not placing much confidence in Missouri staying competitive with Oklahoma because of their poor overall defense (92nd in total defense) and even worse pass defense (117th, worse than North Texas). Explain to me again why this team deserves to play for an automatic BCS bid more than Texas?

Casey Dick's Girlfriend

Actually, it's his fiancee, Felicia. Arkansas quarterback Casey Dick has had a pretty good run the last few years. First, he stumbles across this little southern belle while in rehab for a back injury in 2006. Next, later that same year, Mitch Mustain transfers to USC leaving the QB job all his for his final two years. Casey Dick might not end up as the most high-profile collegiate QB, but the one thing you can never take away from him is that his girlfriend is hotter than Sam Keller's girlfriend, Tim Tebow's fake girlfriend, Colt McCoy's girlfriend, and Chase Daniel's girlfriend.

Said Felicia about when she first met Casey at the clinic, "I remember thinking that he had big ears and I really wanted to rub them! I have a huge ear fetish and I like to rub peoples ears when they are cold. I know call his ears "my refrigerators.""

And one of Felicia's 10 things she loves about Casey: "I love it when he lets me rub his ears when I am tired."

For the engagement album in its digital slide show entirety, you'll want to click here.

The moral of this story is size does matter.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Tuesday Question - If Missouri beat OU ... </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
620950.jpg

Utah QB Brian Johnson
</td> <td width="3" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Dec 2, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Tuesday Question ... If Missouri beats Oklahoma, then who should play for the national title?
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
<table id="table2" align="right" border="0" cellspacing="4" width="200"> <tbody><tr> <td bgcolor="#ffffcc"> Past TQs
- Your Heisman Top 3
-
Favorite college football rivalry
- One change to the BCS
- What one-loss team should play for NC?
- The No. 2 team is ...
- The BCS sleeper is ...
- Midseason Stuff
- OU - Texas, LSU - Fl, PSU - Wisc.

- Where should BYU, Bama, USC & Penn State be ranked?
- Is the MWest better than the Pac 10?
- If USC is No. 1, who's No. 2?
- The best unknown storyline
- Will the week 1 duds rebound?
- Top Week 1 Games
- Predict the 2008 Season
- Does Sean Lee's injury change your view of spring ball?
- Is a CF Final 4 a good idea?
- How good will Terrelle Pryor be?
- 2008 March Madness Picks

- What can college football learn from March Madness?
- Three Big Spring Storylines
- The Combines are missing ...
- Best & Curious Coaching Hires

- 2008 Wish List
- The 3 Big Bowl Questions

- What are you most looking forward to from the bowls?
- Did the BCS get it right?
- Who deserves a spot more, OSU or WVU?

- What BCS matchups do you want?
- 10 Greatest Quarterbacks of All-Time
- 10 Greatest Defensive Players of All-Time
- 10 Greatest Regular Season Games of All-Time
- 10 Greatest Playmakers of All-Time
- 10 Worst Heisman Winners
- 10 Greatest Bowl Games
- All-Time Offensive Team
- All-Time Defensive Team
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2] Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]
Q: If Missouri beats OU, the national title should be ...
A:The SEC champion vs. Utah.

It won't be, it'll be Texas vs. Florida/Alabama, but that wouldn't be fair. If OU loses to Missouri, then, in the overall tie in the Big 12, Texas Tech will have actually been more deserving than Texas because of the head-to-head aspect. USC would be next in line, but as I've said several times before, the Oregon State factor (USC lost to the Beavers while Utah beat them) combined with the Mountain West's 6-1 record vs. the Pac 10, and, of course, the unbeaten record, would make the Utes more deserving.

As far as what I'd like to see, I'd rather see SEC vs. USC or even against Penn State, who actually has just as good a case as the Trojans considering the Oregon State factor (Penn State throttled the team that beat USC). But as far as the deserve factor, if you wouldn't put Utah in this year, when would a non-BCS team ever deserve a shot?

Richard Cirminiello [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2] [/FONT] <o:p> </o:p><o:p> </o:p> [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2] [/SIZE][/FONT] <o:p> </o:p>[/SIZE]

A
: Texas. You know, that team from Austin that wears burnt orange, and got screwed out of playing in the Big 12 Championship game. Oops, wrong rant.

First off, do know that I could care less whether a team has won its league title, division title, or conference spelling bee. As long as the Big East, ACC, and Pac-10 have automatic bids to the BCS, winning your league should not be a prerequisite for playing in the national championship game. Being one of the top two teams in the country should. With Oklahoma out of the way, No. 3 Texas could neatly slide up to No. 2, and begin preparing for the winner of Florida-Alabama. Ever since USC lost to Oregon State, I felt that the best of the Big 12 should duke it out with the best of the SEC in Miami on Jan. 8. Moving up the Longhorns into the spot vacated by the Sooners would achieve that, while serving up a double shot of karma. Why no Texas Tech? You can’t lose a game by 44 points in late November and expect to play for a national title.

You didn’t ask, but USC isn’t getting enough love. Ironic, right? I understand that most of the media is fixated on gaudy offensive numbers the way a junior high-schooler fixates on cleavage. However, why does Oklahoma earn style points for scoring at least 60 in four straight games, but the Trojans don’t for allowing just 55 points in the last 34 quarters? Has the perception pendulum really shifted that far over the last few years?

<o:p> Matthew Zemek</o:p>
A: Texas and the SEC champion would play for the title under this scenario.

11-1 USC, 11-1 Penn State, and 12-0 Utah would not be able to match the Longhorns' stacked resume in a national debate.

Let's make one thing clear in this comment, however, even if it might seem tangential (at best) or completely irrelevant (at worst).

Rest assured, it's not irrelevant. Follow along... especially if Mizzou does beat OU in Kansas City this Saturday night.

I've received a lot of worried e-mails from Texas and especially Oklahoma fans about Florida, and why some pollsters currently have the Gators ranked higher than both the Longhorns and Sooners. One could debate that point, but the reason why that debate is and has been irrelevant is that the Gators have had no controversy surrouding their status as a would-be conference champion (provided Florida beats Alabama, of course). The reason why Texas-OU was such a heated debate is that a national mechanism (the BCS system, with its own computer-aided standings) was being used to decide a local (division/conference) debate. With the Big 12 champion being likely to play the SEC champion in the BCS title game, there was no controversy about the SEC half of the equation; the only controversy surrounded the Big 12 side of the divide. Since conference champions merit--and almost always receive--priority (except for 2003, when Oklahoma lost to Kansas State but still played for the title), there was and is no reason for Big 12 fans to worry that the loser of the SEC title game would still be ranked higher than Texas or OU--whoever would win the Big 12--come December 7.

So while it might seem that there's still a poll controversy surrounding Florida (or Bama) and the Big 12 champion, that's a false debate. Assuming OU beats Missouri, the final poll votes will be adjusted to reflect the priority given to conference champions in a BCS title game debate.

Now, with all that having been said, there is one (but only one) way we could have uncertain polls--polls not dictated or determined by conference championship game results--decide the BCS title game matchup.

It's a long shot, but college football--as this season has proved, with the rare three-way tie in the Big 12 South--always seems to find new loopholes in a BCS system that's full of them.

Here's the one scenario that could create chaos even now, at this late point in the season.

Before a Missouri upset of OU, imagine that Alabama, down by four and without timeouts, faces a fourth-and-goal at the Florida 6 with 30 seconds left in what has been a jawdropping SEC Championship Game, so good that Texas's riveting win over Oklahoma is being forgotten to an even greater degree (not because of the score or the winning team, but because of the sheer quality of the competition). John Parker Wilson throws a pass into the end zone, and Julio Jones clearly gets interfered with by a Gator defender. Wilson also gets hit late on the play.

The officials miss both calls. Florida escapes, but with everyone feeling uneasy about the way the game was decided.

If OU were to then lose to Missouri, we could have a situation in which there would be a heavily politicized and uncertain debate in the polls, without any connection to conference championships, involving 12-1 Alabama and 11-1 Texas. Bama would feel it deserved another shot at the best conference champion in America, for one thing. Tide fans and SEC people would also say--under such circumstances--that since three-loss Missouri won the "mighty" Big 12, the conference's unofficial runner-up (technically and legalistically, its third-best team) wouldn't be worthy of playing in the national title game.

Texas would still be likely to win that debate, but gosh, it really could get dramatic in a 24-hour span, with no guarantees existing to ensure that the Horns could hold off Alabama.

Again, all of the above is a long shot.

Do remember, though, that stranger things have happened in a sport that is almost about to celebrate its 140th birthday.

But if nothing wildly out of the ordinary happens in Atlanta, a Missouri win over Oklahoma would put Texas in the BCS title game against the SEC champion.

Steve Silverman
A: The winner of the SEC championship game between Alabama and Florida would obviously be team "A" in the championship game. Don't write off Alabama just because they are a double-digit dog, either. Then we have Team B. You can make a case for Texas, you can make a case for Penn State and you can make a case for Boise State. None of those are good cases. You have to go with USC and their hellacious defense. You have to like the way Florida, Oklahoma and USC responded after their losses this season and the Trojans have done it with a defense that is probably the best in the nation. I'm not saying they would walk over the Alabama-Florida winner, but I think it would be the best game. Texas? Do it again next year and then we'll give you a shot.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Mizzou QB gets a little help from a friend

from Bevo Beat
Missouri’s Chase Daniel spent some time on the phone Sunday night with Texas quarterback Colt McCoy after Oklahoma leapfrogged the Longhorns in the BCS rankings and into Saturday’s Big 12 championship game against Daniel’s Tigers.
Daniel said he and McCoy talked for about an hour.
“He was crushed,” Daniel said earlier this week to reporters in Missouri. “He’s obviously pulling for us to win, and so are we. We’re pulling for ourselves to win.”
Here’s a link to the story in the Kansas City Star.

Erin Andrews Has Nice Watch, Sweater Kittens

Published by J Koot at 11:32 am under Celeb-Gasm

Visited 2468 times, 2468 so far today
Who will be the lucky guy to one day put a ring on that finger? [Credit]​
DATELINE - Austin, TX (last week for A&M game)
Reason For Posting - Slow sports day, page views equal money
Importance Of Post - High (for those who track Erin Andrews’ wardrobe)
Why You Should Care? - It’s a woman, in a black stripped sweater and you dream about her constantly while jerking around at your day job.
What’s After The Jump? - A backside shot taken by another smart photographer.

[Credit]​
Conclusion - A day without Erin Andrews is not possible.
Is this photo blurry?
Yes, and we just don’t care.

Take your pick: Memphis or Nashville

from Conquer And Prevail: Front Page Posts by Jarred Amato
After finishing the regular season 6-6, Vanderbilt's bowl destination is down to two possibilities: the Liberty Bowl in Memphis (Jan. 2) or the Music City Bowl here in Nashville (Dec. 31).
Here's a look at the most recent projections:

• SI.com's Stewart Mandel believes Vanderbilt will play Virginia Tech in the Music City Bowl (with Kentucky and Tulsa playing in Memphis).
  • CBS Sportsline predicts that Vanderbilt play Tulsa in the Liberty Bowl (with Kentucky and North Carolina playing in Nashville).
  • Both Bruce Feldman and Mark Schlabach of ESPN.com expect Vanderbilt to play in the Music City Bowl against either Clemson or North Carolina (with Kentucky and Tulsa playing in Memphis).
  • ESPN.com's SEC writer Chris Low expects the Dores to play in the Liberty Bowl (with Kentucky coming to Nashville).
Clearly the pundits are split on this one, and for good reason. Commodore fans should pay close attention to the ACC Championship between Virginia Tech and Boston College weekend because, as Mandel writes:
While the winner of Saturday's ACC title game between Virginia Tech and Boston College will head to the Orange Bowl, the loser could slip all the way to the Music City Bowl. Why? The Chick-fil-A Bowl, which has first choice of ACC teams after the BCS, has to be eyeing hometown Georgia Tech (9-3) following its upset of Georgia; the Gator Bowl will snatch up 8-4 Florida State to face 8-4 Nebraska; and the Champs Sports Bowl is eyeing rejuvenated Clemson, even at 7-5.
Feldman and Schlabach disagree slightly. They expect the Chick-fil-A Bowl to take Virginia Tech if the Hokies lose Saturday. However, if the Hokies win, it's almost certain that Boston College will slide all the way to the Music City Bowl.
As for the SEC representative, it appears as though it's down to Kentucky and Vanderbilt, neither of whom are practically attractive teams. The Cats have played in Nashville the past two seasons and are considerably worse this season.
Meanwhile, taking the hometown team, while a nice storyline, does not bring in as much revenue, which could be even more troubling if the Music City Bowl is forced to take another small-traveling school (B.C.).
We'll find out the Dores' destination on Sunday, but in the meantime, who and where would you like to see them play? What's your ideal matchup? For me, it's Vanderbilt against either Boston College or North Carolina (two prestigious schools) in Nashville.
Also, where do you think the players want to go? I'm sure some of them would prefer to get out of Nashville and actually get to travel for their bowl game, while some would like to play in the comforts of their own city against an ACC opponent. Either way, this team will be making history.

Life on the Margins: UCLA has one minor, fatal flaw

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
Obsessing over the statistical anomalies and minutiae of close and closer-than-they-looked games that could have gone the other way. Be careful before you judge these games by the final score alone ...
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-584207174-1228258557.jpg
Arizona State 34, UCLA 9. In some ways, Kevin Craft's performance Friday really may have been the worst game in history by any single player: UCLA tied an NCAA record by allowing Arizona State to score four defensive touchdowns, and all four turnovers (three interceptions, one fumble) were from Craft; when Texas scored four fourth quarter defensive touchdowns against Houston in 1987, UH quarterback Shannon Kelly was only responsible for three of them. So, almost exactly a year to the day after Osaar Rasshan was an unfathomable 0-for-7 with a -28.6 passer rating in the Bruins' win over Oregon, Craft achieved a brave new standard for contemporary generosity.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-471424261-1228258583.jpg
Looked at another way, though, those disasters represented only four plays out of 129. It's not like you can just take away four turnovers-turned-touchdowns, but UCLA easily outgained the Devils overall and on a play-by-play basis, and Craft finished with more yards, a better completion percentage, more yards per attempt and, amazingly, a higher pass efficiency rating. ASU averaged less than a yard per carry and its longest drive, just 28 yards, ended in an interception. When it actually got on the field, the Bruin defense dominated -- 122 total yards is almost half the Devils' previous low in total offense since 2004, and they essentially failed to score on offense (two field goals followed a big return deep into L.A. territory and a short drive beginning near midfield, aided by a Bruin penalty).
But yeah, it's a little like the old line, "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" This is one of the most bizarre box scores I've ever seen. And seeing as Craft put up a similar line against Tennessee before his second half resurrection in the opener, it's not the kind of thing you can write off as an anomaly -- especially not with the season ending Saturday against USC. I'd be beyond stunned to Craft back under center in 2009.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-189499622-1228258570.jpg
Kansas 40, Missouri 37. By the numbers, this looks like one of the few cases in which field position played a major factor -- 10 extra yards per possession adds up over a dozen drives, and the safety that resulted from Mizzou started from its own one in the second quarter was crucial in a couple ways. One, obviously, is that it was two points in a game ultimately decided by only three. The other is that it set the Jayhawks up with a relatively short field (the KU 44) to score for a 17-7 lead late in the half.
The main thing, though, is that KU kept Missouri off the field (it finished with an 12-minute advantage in time of possession, almost an entire quarter, and ran 15 more plays) by being exceptional on third and fourth down. The Jayhawks converted 12 of 19 of the former and 2 of 2 of the latter, one of them leading to a touchdown and one producing the winning touchdown, when Kerry Meier escaped into the secondary on 4th-and-7 with less than 35 seconds to play -- the ex-quarterback's fifth straight reception on the drive, and a catch that turned a lackluster, 6-6 nothing of a season into a strong finish.

Why Florida won't sweat Texas' hold on the computers (probably)

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-496667871-1228265853.jpg
Sunday night, I referenced the possibility that Florida might win Saturday and still finish behind Texas in next week's BCS standings because of the Longhorns' huge lead in the computer polls, setting up an Oklahoma-Texas mythical championship rematch if the Sooners beat Missouri. This fell into the category of "unlikely but interesting" then, and after reading an assessment in my inbox today from Zach Rosenfield of the stat site AccuScore, it seems even more unlikely -- but no less interesting, by Zach's account:
I actually have access to the BCS spread sheet and have been able to plug in multiple scenarios. Texas will not be able to hold off Florida on the computers alone. But their margin in the computer section of the polls means that this is going to get interesting and will come right down to it.It breaks down as follows. Oklahoma and Alabama win and they are in. That much we know. But here is how Florida can get left out. If OU wins big and Florida struggles, then it gets murky. A big win by OU coupled with Florida struggling could give OU a overwhelming majority of No. 1 votes and could move Texas up to No. 2, or in some cases, No. 1. It is only a matter of time until Mack Brown shifts the discussion to quality losses: UT in the last minute on the road and UF losing at home to Ole Miss. Whatever it takes to creep into the voters minds.
If Texas stabilizes in the human polls, then it gets interesting. Particularly because the only way UT can stabilize is if Florida struggles. If Florida wins big, then the UF will get a bunch of first place votes and be in. But if the Gators struggle, the votes get divided and it gets murky. Very murky.
A Florida win will in all probability increase its computer score from .82 to .88
The magic number is .944 for the Gators. Florida needs to average .944 between the Harris and Coaches Poll to make up the computer defecit. That means they need to go from 2619 points in the Harris to 2669. In the Coaches, they need to go from 1385 to 1439.
To put those numbers in perspective and roughly estimate how many points Florida can expect to pick up for beating Alabama, we can compare some recent historical precedents for other teams making major one-week moves.
There weren't many car-crash moments from 2002-2005, when the teams at the top of the standings tended to get there and stay there, but both Florida and LSU in 2006 and 2007 made the jump Florida is trying to make again Saturday by winning in the SEC Championship, and just to add more data points and get a sense of how the poll has seized and shook at times this year, I've added the point totals for each of the three Big 12 South frontrunners for the weeks before and after their big wins over a previously undefeated rival (as you know, that's over No. 1 Oklahoma for Texas, over No. 1 Texas for Texas Tech and over No. 2 Texas Tech for Oklahoma). According to each of the human polls and the average of the BCS computers (not the final BCS score itself, but the computer score), this is what a big jump in the polls looks like, by the numbers:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-822301590-1228266027.jpg
Going back to Zach's estimates, Florida needs to pick up 50 points in the Harris and 54 points from the Coaches, both well, well below not only the average gains from big wins the last three years, but well below even the lowest gains on the chart. If all the Gators are looking to do is to pick up roughly 50 points per poll, recent history suggests they have no reason to worried about style or running it up. Unless voters launch a full-fledged, conscientious campaign in Texas' favor -- the odds of either poll coordinating anything like that are probably somewhere near zero -- all Florida has to do to pass Texas is win.

Are you mad as (you know) at the BCS?

from Bevo Beat
Texas fan Bobby Gerry is. He’s committed his anger to film — OK, YouTube — in a riff on the famous scene from “Network,” spiced and spliced with Longhornesque images from this season of discontent. Gerry encourages Texas fans to write the Big 12 conference offices to declare (you guessed it) that they’re mad as hell and they’re not going to take it anymore.
(Obligatory language warning: If you’ve seen the movie, you know what to expect.)
Dim the lights, please.
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_-FoMQPARcM&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout

Money Talks, BCS Walks

from The Wiz of Odds by Jay Christensen

Today's question: If Alabama is No. 1 in the Bowl Championship Series standings, why are the Crimson Tide a 10-point underdog to No. 4 Florida?
The BCS' stated goal is "to match the two top-rated teams in a national championship game and to create exciting and competitive matchups between eight other highly regarded teams in four other games."
Bull, we say, and here's the evidence to back it up: A study by Cornell student Max Wasserman that was published in May by the Big Lead.
Wasserman compared the margin of victory of the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar and Orange bowls from the past 30 seasons, the last 10 of which have been under the BCS system. Outside of the Fiesta Bowl, the average margin of victory has increased by at least two points in the 10 years under the BCS.
No wonder TV ratings for four of the five BCS games showed a sharp decline in 2008. The Sugar Bowl experienced a drop of 25%, followed by the Rose (20%), BCS title (17%) and Fiesta (8%). Only the Orange Bowl saw a slight increase (6%) in viewership.
That's right, the BCS makes a regular habit of picking the wrong teams for the wrong games.
The solution is a playoff free of politics, and we have a sure way to take politics out of the equation. Let the sportsbooks in Las Vegas pick the teams and matchups. Check out the top 30 from the Las Vegas Sports Consultants, a true representation of where teams should be in the BCS standings.
Yes, put a little scratch on the line and opinions quickly change. Who wouldn't want to see Jeff Sagarin put 20 large on a team based on his computer rankings? Harris Interactive voters would suddenly remember that Penn State has lost a game.
When money is on the line, people suddenly think with a clear mind. That's why Florida is a 10-point favorite.

Headlinin': Charlie Weis, survivor

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-397766567-1228314624.jpg
He'll be back. Charlie Weis' "week in coaching no-man's land" ends today, according to an anonymous source in the South Bend Tribune, which reports Notre Dame will announce Weis' return for 2009 despite losing four of the last five and suffering back-to-back humiliations against Syracuse and USC. There's no word from Weis or AD Jack Swarbrick, who were both still in California Tuesday night, but a South Bend TV station was apparently reporting the same thing Tuesday.The Tribune focuses immediately on the obvious double standard in keeping Weis for the same record after four years that got Tyrone Willingham fired after three. Why? Race is mentioned, of course, but the other reasons seem more likely to me: Weis, like Swarbrick and university president John Jenkins, is a Notre Dame graduate, and his hastily-orchestrated buyout -- thrown together to protect Weis from the NFL after narrowly losing to the '05 USC juggernaut -- is beyond the pale. And the rest of college football laughs and laughs.
Nobody poaches Phil Knight's coordinators. Oregon wrapped its arms around Chip Kelly and put its much-sought offensive coordinator in a big bear hug Monday, naming Kelly coach-in-waiting behind Mike Bellotti, who'll become Oregon's AD when he steps down. Quotes therein suggest that could be sooner than his age (Bellotti turns 58 in a couple weeks) would suggest, maybe as soon as 2010.
This is typically shrewd: Kelly didn't get anything like Will Muschamp's $900,000 windfall (there is an annual retention bonus), but like Muschamp and fellow heirs-in-waiting Jimbo Fisher and Joker Phillips, Kelly has been heavily pursued the last couple seasons, and had been heavily linked to the Syracuse job even before Saturday's 700-yard romp at Oregon State raised his profile and market value that much more. He was probably going to interview with the Orange today before the ducks promised to hand over the keys to a much flashier ride.
Speaking of which: Nike has begun design on accompanying hideous uniforms-in-waiting. I don't want to give anything away, but ... there will be glow sticks.
Speed kills, size merely maims beyond recognition. First of all, I love this work by the Gainesville Sun:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-317057260-1228314654.jpg
In more substantial news, Terrence Cody's Florida counterpart in the middle of the defensive line, Brandon Antwine, is lost for the postseason to a torn ACL. The good news for the Gators is that Percy Harvin's ankle is getting thumbs up for Saturday since the weekend scare, though he won't be back at practice until later in the week. Harvin was questionable for a near-identical situation in 2006, when he was knocked out of the FSU game with a concussion, was questionable for the SEC Championship against Arkansas and wound up walking away as the game's MVP.
Quickly ... Tommy Tuberville's "evaluation" with Auburn powerbrokers could last the rest of the week. ... 9-3 Georgia Tech is staying in Atlanta for New Year's to play in the Peach Bowl, or whatever they're calling it these days, and 7-5 Clemson is going to the Gator for Dabo Swinney's debut a full-time boss. ... Clemson defensive coordinator Vic Koening resigned ahead of the Gator Bowl to have better prospects in case he's not retained on Swinney's staff. ... New Purdue coach Danny Hope has hired Florida Atlantic coach Gary Nord as the Boilermakers' new offensive coordinator. ... USC wide receiver Vidal Hazelton, an ex-blue chip who's had a somewhat rocky career at USC, has decided to transfer. ... New Wyoming coach Dave Christensen reviews the troops. ... UConn running back Andre Dixon was charged with drunken driving and suspended indefinitely by Randy Edsall. ... Kevin Craft, silent punching bag. ... Kentucky quarterback Randall Cobb is underwent knee surgery Tuesday and hopes to return in time for a bowl game. ... Mark Richt may be loyal to a fault with his assistants. ... Alabama players are going for an SEC Championship beard. ... And Sam Bradford's pass efficiency rating is way, way off the charts, even the best charts.

The Florida Gator/Urban Meyer Offense

from Smart Football - Analysis and Strategy by Chris by Chris
The book "Spread Formation Football," written by Coach Meyer, begins with the line: "Spread formations are not new to football." Very true.

Wait, I should have been more specific. "Spread Formation Football" was written in 1952 by Coach Dutch Meyer of TCU. Yet that Meyer's edict applies with as much force to today's Coach Meyer as it did then, if not moreso, because it highlights a simple truth. Urban Meyer, and his offensive coordinator, Dan Mullen, are not geniuses, nor are they innovators. Indeed, Florida's offense is not new; it is not novel; it is not even that unique. Urban Meyer would agree and say, that's okay. His offense may not be new; it is merely very, very good.

The Gators have a legitimate shot at another national title, and I can't think of many coaching matchups more fun than Nick Saban's defense pitted against the the Meyer/Mullen/Tebow run 'n gun.

In this post I will briefly overview the philosophy behind Meyer's offense and then some of the core run game concepts, though I can do neither full justice here. But it's worth discussing to dispell some misnomers that get floated (especially by announcers and ESPN-types). Meyer does not run the wing-t from shotgun (his offense is not based around "series football" as those offenses are), he does not run the run and shoot with more running, and the option is only one part of Meyer's offense. Strangely enough, I would say that the inspirational fathers of Florida's offense have to be Joe Gibbs and Dennis Erickson, who helped establish and pioneer the one-back offense. Indeed, as will be discussed below, Florida's main run plays are basically the same ones both guys made popular in the '80s, though from the shotgun and a bit more option sprinkled in.

Surprised to hear these roots? Meyer is not shy; he admits that he was a late-mover to the spread offense, though as the years pass he looks more and more likely to be the last man standing. In the year of the rise of the terrible spread, we still have Meyer's flying Circus, complete with his rhinoceros of a quarterback.

Meyer bounced around as an assistant coach, finally as receivers coach at Notre Dame under the schematically brilliant but instinctively cro-magnon Bob Davie. Meyer has recalled losing to Nebraska in 2001, and being struck when, after they lost, he found one of his best players, David Givens, crying at his locker because he was unable to help his team win: he hadn't touched the ball the entire game. He swore to run an offense that got his playmakers the ball. While at Notre Dame, he began meeting with his intellectual mentor (his actual mentors were guys like Lou Holtz), Scott Linehan. (Yes, that Scott Linehan.) He was hired as Head Coach of Bowling Green, and decided that -- in years that just happened to be the rather formative ones for the spread -- he would have his staff learn at the masters' feet.

So, eschewing typical coaching visit hotspots like Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, and the like, Meyer directed his staff to make a midwest pilgrammage to learn from the likes of: John L. Smith and Scott Linehan at Louisville; Joe Tiller and Jim Chaney (now St. Louis Rams) at Purdue; Randy Walker and Kevin Wilson (now at Oklahoma) at Northwestern; and, of course, with Rich Rod at West Virginia. What all these guys had in common was they were one-back or spread coaches, they had the ability to run the ball (though Meyer focused more on passing with a team like Purdue), and they had an organized, conceptual way of thinking about football. Before Meyer's first season at Bowling Green:

Mullen and three assistants joined Meyer to visit Louisville and then Northwestern, Purdue and West Virginia, looking to blend ideas from each program after Meyer became Bowling Green's head coach in 2001. When all the coaches returned to Bowling Green, Ohio, they gathered in an office at Doyt Perry Stadium for a series of meetings over two weeks, diagramming concepts on a grease board and then converting it to computer.

"Obviously it was a very small foundation at that time," Mullen said, "that has grown into a very big house now, all the people that are running our style of offense."

(Compare this complete commitment to becoming a spread offense with some other programs you may have heard of.) Nevertheless, I don't want to overvalue Meyer's clairvoyance here, and neither would he. While back in 2000 the average fan and sportswriter did not exactly anticipate that schools like Northwestern, Louisville, Purdue, and West Virginia were the cradles of the greatest offensive revolution in thirty years, many in among the football cognoscenti did. (Self-plug: Like me. No seriously.)

But this is not a story solely about schemes. Meyer has always won football games, wherever he has been. When he arrived at Bowling Green he engineered one of the great turnarounds in football history, and I have known many great schemers who failed to win football games (Hal Mumme). In any event, later, Meyer and Mullen spent time with Navy and Georgia Southern (you know, with some obscure coach named Paul Johnson) to continue learning about option football.

So what did Meyer actually learn from these programs and coaches? We can see it from what he eventually did and now does. Broadly, Meyer and his offensive coordinator, Mullen, wanted to be shotgun focused, to spread the field, to be able to throw effectively, and run the ball and run the option. That hardly narrows it down, but that's sort of the beauty. The simplicity comes in how few schemes there actually are, and how almost cliche they are in practice: the inside and outside zones and zone-read, the counter, the trap, quarterback power, and the option game (with jet sweeps sprinkled over top, though I won't address that much here). This is the same spread playbook high school teams are running; indeed, there's little that Meyer runs now that Northwestern and West Virginia weren't running back then. Most differences are simply cosmetic.

I will only summarize his passing game. Meyer learned his passing offense primarily from what Purdue and Louisville were doing in their spread heydays. (Though it is important to note that both Purdue and Louisville at the time were traditional "one-back" spread offenses -- derivative of Dennis Erickson's one-back offense -- so although he focused on their passing games their running games were consistent with the inside zone and counter game Meyer was installing with advice from Rich Rodriguez and the Northwestern folks.) Meyer developed a system based from spread formations, with focuses on quick passes, lots of quick shallows, pivots, and other quick moves. (The biggest evolution in the Meyer/Mullen offense at Florida has been the attempt to improve their play-action game, which has always been tough for shotgun-spread teams to convincingly do.)

I turn next to the Meyer/Mullen approach to offense, followed by some of the primary run game concepts.

Meyer and Mullen's Philosophy

More important than the actual concepts Meyer uses is his approach. Meyer's offense is not like the wing-t (despite what commentators say), nor is it exactly analogous to traditional option offenses, like Paul Johnson's at Georgia Tech. This is because Meyer's offense -- like most other spreads -- is not entirely based around "series football," or a set play followed by its counter followed by the counter to the counter. Instead it is a more conceptual, more pro-style approach.

As mentioned above, the real sea-change for Meyer occurred when he visited Louisville and met with Scott Linehan, who at the time was coaching under John L. Smith. It was then that Meyer began thinking about the spread as more than just a formation, but a comprehensive approach to the game.

The entire theory can be summarized briefly: If the defense plays with two safeties back -- so long as the offense forces the defense to cover its receivers by employing constraint plays -- the offense has a numbers advantage in the box to run the ball against.

If the defense plays with a single-high defense -- again so long as it employs its constraint plays (which are not limited to bubble screens, but include play action passes and draws to be used when defenders begin looking too heavily for the run or pass) --there is no advantage in the box but the offense should be able to pass, as it does have enough numbers to protect the quarterback. So a team like Florida will look to throw. Against soft coverage, the offense will look to throw underneath; against press man, the offense will play around with receiver splits to free guys against man and will employ more routes good against man to man, like corners, option routes, and whip routes (begin like a shallow cross, stop and pivot back out to the sideline at five yards).

Finally, if there is no deep safety then the offense knows the defense is in cover zero and it expects the defense to blitz. The defense is saying, either we're going to get you, or you're going to get a big play; we're betting on us. Florida has a lot of responses, but at some point you have to be willing to go deep against cover 0.

And that's really it. From there, the coaches will look to individual matchups to exploit, slight structural or leverage advantages, and especially for when guys get themselves out of position. So long as the defense stays in its base coverage, Meyer and Mullen run their base stuff and it's just about execution. As soon as guys get out of position or the defense tries to get cute, they go to their constraint plays.

The Run Game

So let's look at some specifics of their run game. I can't cover everything (trust me, it would get boring quicker than you think), and the nuances change from year to year and week to week depending on personnel and defensive adjustment. But at core, Meyer still runs the same major concepts he ran all the way back at Bowling Green, which are run plays that go back as long as teams have run the ball. The major runs are the inside zone (with the ubiquitous QB read attached to it), the counter, the trap, the quarterback power and iso(lation), and various forms of option football. No matter what the defense does, Florida is going to practice and run these plays.

I will not really address the zone-read, though it is still the base of their offense. That play has been addressed extensively, and I discussed the play years ago.

Counter

The base form of Florida's counter play is quite simple. The playside line slow plays (or even pass sets) and then fires out and blocks the man down and double teams to the linebacker; the backside tackle pulls and leads; and the running back takes a counter step and then folds over the ball, looking to follow the pulling tackle's block. The quarterback reads the backside end (there's that zone read again), and if he crashes down the quarterback will take off and run.

Meyer and Mullen keep this same basic structure but do play around with the specifics: instead of the running back, they can have the running back cross in front of the QB and have the quarterback run the ball behind the pulling tackle; they can have the running back line up to the play side and take his counter steps there and circle back; and they can use two backs (or one back and another player faking a jet sweep) to show the counter fake. They can do all this because it is one simple blocking scheme and the backfield actions and ball carriers are the easy part to change, as are what motions or formations you want to use with it.

More recently, Florida has begun running more of the traditional "counter-trey" play so popular in the pros. The difference here is that it involves two pulling players: one who traps the defensive end and the other who pulls and leads. Indeed, this is another play showing how Florida's offense is just the translation of traditional concepts to new sets. Compare Meyer's the version of the counter trey that Meyer ran against South Carolina:

With the traditional I-formation version of that play:

It is also worth noting that Meyer has used more and more "H-back" types in his offense recently, which give him more versatility in his blocking schemes, but still is a micro strategy designed to affects the front and create leverage rather than effect some large change on the style of offense. But, as nice as schemes are, they do not really do the play justice. The Gators ran the counter-trey twice against South Carolina: both times for long (long!) Harvin touchdowns.

<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9qhg9YsKkxc&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout

Trap

The trap is one of the oldest plays in football. Against penetrating defensive tackles, the line initially does not block those guys, then the backside guard pulls and destroys the tackle. Florida runs this play both as a trap to the running back and with the quarterback alone.

Quarterback Power

Obviously, it is in Florida's interest to use their quarterback in the run game. The power play is a team that every I formation team and every NFL team has in their playbook. The fullback kicks out the defensive end, the line blocks down and double teams the defensive line up to the linebackers (coaches often use the term OIL -- "on, inside, linebacker" -- to teach the blocking on this play), and the backside guard or tackle pulls and lead blocks into the hole. From the I, the quarterback hands it off to the tailback. In Florida's offense, the quarterback is the tailback. And this has obvious advantages: as indicated from the discussion above, the offense has a distinct numerical advantage when the quarterback is a threat that necessitates a defender's attention on run plays rather than just a statue who hands it off and gets out of the way, as NFL quarterbacks do. In any event, the play is diagrammed below.

Option ball

During coaching clinics, Meyer often mentions that he likes to ask defensive coaches what they hate to defend, and he says their answer is always option football. (I'd wager that most of Georgia Tech's opponents this season would tell you the same thing.) I am not going to spend much time on the zone-read-triple option, which to me is a nice but ultimately unsatisfactory play. It's a nice wrinkle on the base zone-read, but unlike the traditional triple option, it is not designed in such a way that the offense is correct every time. (That is because the initial read is of the backside defensive end; but even if he stays put, the success of the playside inside zone play still depends on however the blocks turn out, as opposed to the true triple, where you know it will be a success because you have double teamed everyone and the only threat is the man you're optioning off of.)

But Florida has increasingly used a form of the true triple -- the "veer" -- in its gun-run game. Had I written this article earlier this season, this would have been my focus, but as it stands this is still but one tool in Meyer and Mullen's arsenal.

In the traditional veer, the line ignores several of the playside defenders, instead crashing down and crushing the defensive tackle and linebackers. The offense can do this because it "options" off a series of defenders: when done correctly, the offense is always right and the defense always wrong. So the offense gets a good deal: it gets double teams it would not have otherwise gotten by "blocking" defenders through optioning off of them. While option football is not easy, you have a better chance of success optioning off a great defensive end to make him wrong rather than sending overmatched tight ends and fullbacks to try to block them. So this is the advantage. The traditional veer looks like this:

Florida's looks largely similar (though Florida gets into this set through a variety of motions, shifts, and the "pitch man" is often a wide receiver).

More clips, including some pass game clips:

<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ug0FTNTPgC0&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout

<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OsditoWmwNM&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout

A Word on Defending the Spread

This is a topic for another time, but it's worth a word on how you defend the spread offense. It's not difficult -- in theory. And clearly, teams have gotten better at it. But defending a team like Florida, with all their talent, is quite the chore. Defending a spread team where the quarterback is not a threat to run, whether by design or talent (ahem, Michigan) is the simpler task. But if the quarterback can run, the offense gains the advantage of an extra blocker when it can spread receivers and the quarterback can run.

Against the old option attacks, the quarterback's counterpart had to line up on the line of scrimmage and hit the quarterback on the line, and the defense basically had to play without a safety (are you listening, Georgia?). Against the I formation attacks so popular in the '90s (and earlier), the quarterback's counterpart -- the free safety -- could stand back in the middle of the field and keep the quarterback from throwing against single coverage. Indeed, the rage in the '90s was the rise of the "eight-man front" defense, and this was the defense the spread developed to counter.

But against the spread where the quarterback is a legitimate dual threat, like Florida has with their Heisman winner, the defense must do both of the above. The quarterback's counterpart has to be on the line of scrimmage to hit the quarterback on runs (as with the option attacks), and back in the middle against passes (as against traditional formations). This is not a debatable point; as Homer Smith said, "this is arithmetic, not theory."

The answer is that you have to have safety-type players who can play the quarterback but also can, if it is a pass play, race back and play as either a robber or as a safety. The defense simply must be able to play man, and it must have the ability to blitz and attack both the quarterback and any other backfield player. (Though this is not easy; faking is better than ever, partially because it involved reading and not faking.) Finally, you must have the ability to zone-blitz to put pressure on the quarterback but still take away the short slants and quicks (or at least threaten to be able to do so).

In other words, you have to play defense like Nick Saban does. But there is no foolproof system; speed is king; and players win games. And there is no doubt that a spread like Florida's is a beautiful thing to watch because it forces the defense to play perfect and to succeed it must be able to multi-task like defenses have never been asked to do before.

Conclusion

To understand why Florida's offense is successful -- for reasons other than because it merely unleashes a bunch of great players, though that cannot be understated and Meyer never fails to credit his players -- I think it is helpful to compare Meyer's "spread option" with another "spread option": Paul Johnson's flexbone. The mechanics of Johnson's flexbone has been described in great detail elsewhere, but the comparison is useful.

Some have derided the labeling of Johnson's offense a "spread option" at all. The charge is that it doesn't look like other "spread" teams. But all this view does is highlight the meaninglessness of the term "spread." The bone itself began as an option offense, and became the "spread option" -- i.e. the flexbone -- when coaches began flexing the tight-ends out to become split ends. The purpose was to provide more of a horizontal stretch to create the lanes and the leverage for the offense.

And that is exactly what Meyer does. His offense is "spread option" in the sense that it was spread before it was ever option (and you may go an entire game without seeing any actual option; the zone-read excluded). But Meyer and Mullen are trying to simplify what defenses can do, to make them show their hand. And wants to find the creases, in whatever form and wherever they are.

Woody Hayes built his defenses around his understanding of the converse of this principle.. An autodidact of military history and strategy, Hayes understood that the best and simplest way to stop an offensive assault was to corral it into a controllable space, as small as possible, to limit its available strategies. Having done that, you could then predict your opponent's points and methods of attack and close them off. Johnson's triple-option, in Mark Richt's rueful words, "stretches you from sideline to sideline." Meyer's offense does the same.

But let's go one step further. Why does that work, particularly with regard to the run game? You hear about the benefits of spreading all the time from sportscasters but with little explanation of why (other than vague generalizations or incorrect statements about "one on one matchups.") To answer that question, let's look at another similarity between Meyer's and Johnson's offenses, which is one reason why in a spread offense the run game is often more important than the pass game.

While, from a passing perspective, the "spread" merely gets you one-on-one matchups that your receivers may or may not win, spreading your formation to run gives you something far more valuable: leverage. Meyer's schemes are not tricky, nor and they are original. But they are sound. When you block a front, you do not send your linemen -- however big, and however talented -- to just fly out to hit a guy to try and hopelessly make him go where he does not want to. Instead, you put your kids in position to win. You use double teams. You "trap" defenders who rush hard upfield. You use lead-blockers in a way to give your runner a two-way go that he can win every time. And you option off defenders to make them wrong, every time. Football is still a game about power, strength, and quickness, but it's always better to be smart about how to focus that power, strength, and quickness where it is most likely to be successful.

If the old running offenses of yesteryear, in reflecting earlier times, were like punishing boxers who engaged in matches where the biggest and strongest won, then offenses like Johnson's and Meyer's, in reflecting their times, are like martial arts: without sacrificing either strength or power, they punish you but also use speed, quickness, and cleverness to hit you where you do not expect and probe to find your weak spots, and to exploit them, without mercy.

(As a disclaimer: I am not responsible for any of the musical suggestions accompanying the video clips. I just find clips that seem to do the trick. My site works best without sound, much like a library full of leatherbound books and rich mahogany.)

Blog Pollin': Sooners move to the top, and confronting the Alabama/Utah problem

Now in its fourth year, the Blog Poll is a weekly effort of dozens of college football-centric Web sites representing a wide array of schools under the oversight of founder/manager/guru Brian Cook at MGoBlog, and now appears on CBS Sportsline. It’s an effort to provide a more rigorous check on the mainstream polls that actually, like, count toward the mythical championship, and enthusiastically shines a light on its voters' biases. But mainly, it’s fun.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-249128268-1228320849.jpg
I explained in detail Sunday why I expected Oklahoma to move ahead of Texas in the BCS, based on the same argument I've been making for most of the last month, and it's the same reason I swapped UT for the Sooners at No. 1 this week: Oklahoma has a better overall resumé because of its wins over TCU and Cincinnati, which are 20-2 against the rest of their schedules, and Texas has no out-of-conference wins that come close to matching either one. As anyone who's ever read this space before knows, it's not about who's "hot," or any guess about who'd win tomorrow -- it's only about the resumé. And Oklahoma, at the moment, has it. (See here for a side-by-side comparison of the entire schedules, and note especially Oklahoma's six "quality wins" to Texas' four.)
As for aggrieved Texans, no, it's not fair. It's the BCS. As I said Tuesday: Someone is always screwed when there are more than two qualified teams for only two positions. It could have been Oklahoma; instead, it's you, along with USC, Utah and Penn State. I've tried to make this point several times before, but I don't think I've done as well as Oklahoma-voting Michigander Brian Cook in emphasizing that there is no answer:
So, I say this to Peter and Texas fans everywhere: I don't know. I don't know if you are a better team or had a better season than Oklahoma. I don't know if Florida or Alabama did. I don't know if USC or Penn State did. Since the devolution of college football scheduling has deprived us of more than a half dozen meaningful comparison points between one conference and another, I am guessing. Totally. And in this case attempting to pick between Texas and Oklahoma is impossible. I read Texas supporters' justifications and think they're totally reasonable.
Co-signed. (Except for the exclusion of Texas Tech's win in Lubbock from any head-to-head argument. I could spend the next eight paragraphs explaining why that is not reasonable.)
Anyway, because I've been predicting it for weeks and broke it down Sunday, moving Oklahoma in front of Texas wasn't nearly the most difficult decision this week. That would be, as it was last week: What to do with Alabama? It seems very wrong to rank the Tide below USC and Penn State, whose schedules and quality wins don't quite measure up to those of Oklahoma, Texas and Florida. But compared with the rest of the "Big Eight," I still have a gnawing concern about the shockingly low winning percentage of Alabama's opponents, and the fact that, when I put them side-by-side, I can hardly tell the difference between Alabama's resumé and Utah's:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-375629275-1228321252.jpg
Last week, I solved the Bama/Utah problem by dropping Alabama below USC and Penn State. This seems harsh in retrospect, so this week, I decided to bump Bama back in front and just accept that I may be treating Utah slightly unfairly at No. 7 because of the logo on the side of its helmet; it just seems intuitively wrong to boost a team when the majority of its wins are over Michigan, UNLV, Utah State, Weber State, Wyoming, Colorado State, New Mexico and San State. If only the Wolverines hadn't collapsed ...
Elsewhere: Oklahoma State and even Missouri do not move from Nos. 11 and 12 despite their losses Saturday, partly because only Boise State jumps the Cowboys and Tigers this week (the Broncos replace Georgia at No, 10). Georgia Tech and Boston College have clearly separated themselves from ACC Row, which is looking rather thin this week with Maryland, Clemson, Wake Forest and Miami all falling out of the picture -- only Florida State, North Carolina and Virginia Tech are hovering around those usually ACC-occupied slots between 20 and 30. It's replaced by Pac-10 Row: Oregon, Oregon State and Cal occupy three of the four slots between 20 and 23.
And Ball State: Sorry, bros. BSU's best win, Central Michigan, lost to Eastern Michigan. I can't promise anything for beating Buffalo for the MAC Championship, but win a bowl game to finish 14-0, and I can guarantee the Cardinals will be out of the "Waiting" section on the final ballot.

Virginians are too frugal for the ACC Championship's own good

First of all, I'm going to say something very nice about the ACC, since everyone's had so much fun the last two years beating up on it: As a reader e-mailed me Sunday following the conference's 3-1 weekend vs. the SEC, the ACC is 15-7 in non-conference "Big 6" games (plus Notre Dame) for the season, by far the best inter-league record among the "power conferences." The Big East is next at 9-7, followed by the Big 12 at 7-6. The Big Ten is 6-7; the Pac-10 and SEC are each 6-8. If you took all of the major conferences, ranked the teams from top to bottom in each conference and played them against each other (1 vs. 1, 2 vs. 2, 3 vs. 3, etc.), the ACC would probably lose the games between the elite teams but win the overall series every time.
I make that point because, though Saturday's ACC Championship -- while not featuring the league's most impressive and highest-ranked team at the end of the regular season, Georgia Tech -- should be a solid, hard fought rematch between two well-coached teams that repeated as division champions despite suffering massive attrition from last year's championship efforts, alas, the theme remains ...
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-322805600-1228166554.jpg
I had no intention of breaking out that picture again this week, but the Roanoke Times looks at Virginia Tech's travel potential today, and with the economy and the extra two-and-a-half hours on the drive to Tampa and whatnot, it might be even uglier than last year:
There could be plenty of empty seats at Raymond James Stadium when Virginia Tech and Boston College square off for the ACC title Saturday. Tech was obligated to pay the Tampa Bay Sports Commission for 10,000 tickets to the game but has only sold about 3,000 of them.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-682051941-1228324997.jpg

Virginia Tech assistant athletic director Sandy Smith said Tuesday that ticket sales have been slower than last year, when the game was held in Jacksonville, Fla. Sales "are not as good as we would like," Smith said. "All the ticket people throughout the conference looked at it -- even the ones [at schools] in Florida -- as being, because of the economy, a tough sell."
Many Tech fans interviewed at last weekend's win over Virginia said they would not be attending the title game in Tampa and would instead save their money for the upcoming bowl game.
"The economy's too bad," Bob Rue of Richmond said. "Bowl games are more fun -- a lot more stuff to do."
Tech stands to lose even more than the $203,000 it ate on unsold tickets for last year's game. Meanwhile, Boston College is giving away tickets to students for a chance to witness what Bill, aka dedicated BC blogger "ATL Eagle," calls "BC's most important win in 60 years." Think about the horrible, cubicle-filled life in front of you, kids, and know that you will never regret this trip.

UCLA Supports USC's Color Choices, Agrees to Burn Timeout Saturday

from The FanHouse - NCAAfootball
by Bruce CiskieFiled under: UCLA, USC, Pac 10, NCAA FB Coaching, NCAA FB Fans, General CFB Insanity
rick-neuheisel.gif
Tuesday, our own Brian Grummell told you of USC's intent to wear their home jerseys Saturday, when they play a road game against rival UCLA.

This was a long-standing tradition in the 1960s and 1970s, when both teams played their home games in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. It went away after UCLA moved to Pasadena and started playing home games in the Rose Bowl.

Since the NCAA has really stupid rules sometimes, USC is wearing the home cardinal and gold jerseys knowing that it will cost them a timeout in the game.

At the end of Brian's story, he expressed hope that UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel would even the score, so to speak, by burning a timeout of his own. In a refreshing nod to an old tradition, Neuheisel says the Bruins will do just that.

In addition, the Pac 10 Conference is going to pursue a change in that stupid uniform rule.
The Pac-10 also announced that it intends to again request the Football Rules Committee at its next meeting to eliminate the portion that says one team must wear white and simply have the rule state that the teams must wear jerseys of contrasting colors.
Wait. Contrasting colors? Does that mean we have to call in a fashion consultant before games for confirmation?

Morning Coffee Is A Cranky Cynic

from Burnt Orange Nation by PB @ BON
hornbullet.gif
Don't go grocery shopping stoned. Or, I learned, write critical blog posts while emotionally crushed by the BCS. MGoBrian was a little taken aback by my verbal thrashing of his draft ballot, but though he's not quite 40, he is a Man and took the fisking in stride. Joining what I wrote myself on Sunday, Brian notes that while he finds arguments for both teams perfectly reasonable, there is no Right Answer to this mess -- except perhaps a playoff, an attractive version of which he outlines. (6 teams, no auto-bids, home games for first two rounds, title game in Pasadena.) Also to his credit, Brian ultimately slides Texas up ahead of Alabama on his final ballot.
Though I'd probably write a follow up note out of fairness to Brian regardless, it's also worth doing to point out that even though, as both he and I mentioned -- "It's a Blog Poll ballot that will make no difference; who cares?" -- this entirely academic exercise is for exactly this reason infinitely better than the current human voting schemes:

1. Transparency. A Blog Poll voter's name accompanies his vote. Both other voters and the general public can access the ballots and respond to them.
  2. Timing. Balloting is a two-step process, with a first draft due quickly (by Monday), but leaving final balloting open until Wednesday. Real life voters must have their votes in near-immediately after games conclude on Saturday evening. Time for reflection and analysis is scant, despite there existing no real reason to rush out the rankings.
  3. Dialogue. Blog Poll voters are encouraged to solicit feedback from readers and other bloggers. Disagreements are verbalized and worked through conversationally. This is the difference between analysis and opinion.
All told, though I may still disagree with a number of my fellow bloggers' final analyses, this is a demonstrably better voting schema than the ones that determine which two teams will play for the actual MNC. What's most surprising is that the coaches who suffer from its flaws are complicit in the crimes. Pretty. Damn. Pathetic.
hornbullet.gif
Does everything official have to suck? I really, really don't want to be one of those super-cynics whose default position is anti-establishment, but as a college football fan in general -- and Big 12 fan in particular -- do I have any choice? On the heels of the nausea we're all feeling from the rancid BCS system came yesterday's announcement of the official All Big 12 Awards, which are absolutely, without a question, the biggest joke I have ever seen.
Voted by the 12 coaches (who can't vote for themselves or their players), the final results are so stupendous that they can only be characterized as either corrupt or meaningless. The awards are littered with ridiculous results, but the most egregious of all has to be Bob Stoops as co-Head Coach of the Year. No, really. Think about how outrageous that is:
Oklahoma: five senior offensive lineman, a preseason #4 ranking, and 95% of the preseason first place votes on Big 12 media day.
Texas: predicted third or fourth in the conference, ranked #11 nationally, with more questions than answers on both sides of the ball.
The Longhorns beat the Sooners in Dallas, finished 11-1 overall, 7-1 in conference, and had the toughest Big 12 schedule among the three South Division co-champs. But Bob Stoops is your coach of the year? Either Mack Brown's colleagues don't like him much, envy Texas, or are just hysterically ill-informed -- the latter a consideration only because Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel said in his presser yesterday that he thought Oklahoma was undefeated.
The last week of this season has been hard on the soul. I bleed for this sport, but it's hard to support such blatant buffoonery. I've never been much of a letter writer before, but I seriously might just take the time to pen a rant to our conference commissioner.

hornbullet.gif
Looking forward. Way forward. I've written a lot lately about Texas' exceptionally bright near- and long-term future, a key ingredient of which is Mack Brown and his staff's proven recruiting ability in this talent-rich state. Though Big Roy is starting to take BON's recruiting and scouting coverage to where it needs to be, this is a fine time to note that Texas' Scout.com page has been relaunched under a new team of scouts and writers as BurntOrangeBeat.com. Bobby Bragg -- a good guy and keen observer -- is heading the effort and emailed me this weekend to note their Top 125 juniors list is up and available for perusal in the free content section.
I actually receive quite a few emails asking for advice as to whether any of the pay sites are worth the standard $100 annual subscription fee, to which I generally reply "Caveat emptor," but I will say that for those who desperately want to know before anyone else what's what about the best high school players in Texas, the one guy I've always thought came close to justifying the expense was Gerry Hamilton, who recently left Orangebloods. Officially, no one knows what he's up to now, but unofficially, the anonymous writer who goes by "Burnt Orange Beat Staff" sure does offer familiar doses of the tastiest stuff. So there ya go.

Arizona Vs. Arizona State Ladies The Real Battle In The Desert

Published by J Koot at 11:34 am under Some other School, d-cups

Visited 487 times, 487 so far today
<object data="http://www.youtube.com/v/5S2F-py77z0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="355">
</object>
Yes, the announcer guy was probably not necessary.
Who really cares about this weekend’s Arizona vs. Arizona State football game besides The Hoff, Matt Leinart and a few Pac-10 geeks with spiked hair and a t-shirt with a crazy graphic in the upper left corner.
The real issue between these two schools comes down to the ladies and our friend David Freedman, the knower of all things female and Arizona, at Tempe12 wanted you to see his newest video and some pictures of the ladies from each school.
Yes, the following ladies are students (of something).
Debate amongst yourself.
Ariana - Arizona State
Courtney - Arizona State
And finally, Kara from Arizona

Weis Gets Another Chance to Prove His Worth

from In The Bleachers College Football Blog by Sunny
So what was amounting to be the most publicized “Will-he-or-won’t-he-stay” of the offseason has been put to rest. Yesterday, Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick ended all speculation of firing Charlie Weis during a press conference. He was quoted, “Though this past season fell short of the expectations that all of us have for our football program, I am confident that Charlie has a strong foundation in place for future success and that the best course of action is to move forward under his leadership.”
Was this the right move for Notre Dame?
Contrary to popular ongoing opinion, I think it was. Let me preface, I am NOT sold on Charlie Weis. While obviously a very solid recruiter, I am not yet convinced that he has the head coaching skills to run a program as prestigious as Notre Dame. Don’t tell him that of course, in his world, he was every bit as important to those New England Patriots’ titles as Bill Belichick or Tom Brady. But I digress.
Nobody really seems to know what the deal with his supposed buyout is. I have heard conflicting reports ranging from it being only a couple million (which I am sure the donors would be willing to pony up in a second), all the way to the entire contract being guaranteed. While it is unfortunate, the amount of money being paid to a guy watching the game from the comforts of his home has to be a consideration and I do factor that into my thinking of keeping Weis under contract for another year. If you are going to pay the guy anyway, just be absolutely SURE that he is not the right guy.
In my eyes, 2009 is do or die for Weis. Having a .500 record will not suffice, he is going to have to show on the field that he has what it takes to coach at this level. Barely squeaking out victories against Navy is not going to get it done anymore. Weis is going to have to get his signature win next year to prove to the rest of the world that he can beat legit competition. It was Charlie Weis himself who pleaded that he was not rebuilding at Notre Dame, “May God strike me dead if I use that word,” well then what exactly is going on Charlie?
One thing that Weis apparently has done really well according to all the recruiting experts (sic) is bring talented youth into the Notre Dame program. Weis supporters continue to point as his recruiting rankings since he took over as proof that the Golden Domers are on the right path. Well, his recruits are now upper classmen. Weis supporters can’t keep using Ty Willingham as the scape goat.
Bringing talented recruits in is only half the battle, the other half is to develop that talent into production on the football field. No longer will he be able to tout his work with Brady Quinn if his current QB prodigy Jimmy Clausen continues to regress and take steps back. Clausen was one of the most highly touted recruits in recent memory but has made very little progress into developing into the slam dunk pro which was all but assured of a few years back. Up until now, Charlie Weis has been incapable of doing that.
2009 should be his last chance.

McCoy, Orakpo are AP Big 12 players of the year

from Bevo Beat
Texas quarterback Colt McCoy was named the Associated Press’ Big 12 offensive player of the year and teammate Brian Orakpo was named the league’s top defensive player. The awards are selected by a panel of reporters who cover the conference.
Baylor freshman quarterback Robert Griffin was chosen as the league’s top offensive newcomer, and Oklahoma freshman linebacker Travis Lewis was the top defensive newcomer.

AP votes can make Texas too legit to not split title

<table class="storyHeader" style="background: transparent url(http://images.sportsline.com/images/authors-318x86/257.jpg) no-repeat scroll left top; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; height: 91px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="storyInfo" style="padding-left: 95px;" valign="top"> Dec. 3, 2008
By Dennis Dodd
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
Tell Dennis your opinion! </td> <td class="storySponsor"> <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="0"><tbody><tr><td><!-- AD_TAG_FEAT=off -->
</td></tr></tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td width="10"> </td> <td> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT]
<style type="text/css"> .shareBox {position:relative;width:51px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px;} .shareButton{position:absolute; z-index:1;} .shareBoxi{position:absolute;left:60px;top:-18px;width:90px;background-color:#fff;border:1px solid #636363;visibility:hidden;z-index:1000;} .shareBoxiBorder{padding:4px;width:78px;background-color:#fff;border:2px solid #d5d5d5;} .knob{position:absolute;top:15px;left:-10px;width:12px;height:21px;background:url(http://images.sportsline.com/images/buttons/leftnob.gif) no-repeat top left;} </style> <table class="buttonCnt" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td>
<script type="text/javascript">function fbs_click(){u="http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/11149716";t="AP%20votes%20can%20make%20Texas%20too%20legit%20to%20not%20split%20title";window.open('http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u='+encodeURIComponent(u)+'&t='+encodeURIComponent(t),'sharer','toolbar=0,status=0,width=626,height=436,resizable=1');return false;}</script> <!--a href="javascript: void(0);" onMouseOver="shareLinks.prototype.showButtons('');" onMouseOut="shareLinks.prototype.hideButtons();" onclick="window.open('http://www.google.com/bookmarks/mark?op=edit&output=popup&bkmk=http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/11149716&title=AP%20votes%20can%20make%20Texas%20too%20legit%20to%20not%20split%20title','popup','width=550px,height=440px,status=0,location=0,resizable=1,scrollbars=1,left=100,top=50',0);">
goog_on.gif
<a href="http://reddit.com/submit?url=http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/11149716&title=AP%20votes%20can%20make%20Texas%20too%20legit%20to%20not%20split%20title" onMouseOver="shareLinks.prototype.showButtons('');" onMouseOut="shareLinks.prototype.hideButtons();" target="_blank">
reddit_on.gif
</a-->

</td> </tr></tbody></table>​
<!-- T11149716 --><!-- Sesame Modified: 12/03/2008 12:48:56 --><!-- sversion: 4 $Updated: bjstubits$ -->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Three days after Black Sunday, Texas still has options. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] One is a long shot: 16-point underdog Missouri upsetting Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] <iframe src="http://www.sportsline.com/video/player/embed/collegefootball/MLmn0mNvA4cO_zm7XYGVsNTqnx9UZddM/354/270/false/true/000000" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" width="354" frameborder="0" height="270"></iframe> [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The other is intriguing: The Associated Press media poll. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The oldest and most respected human poll -- there's two adjectives you don't see associated with the BCS -- potentially gives the Longhorns hope. Even if, as expected, Oklahoma beats Missouri on Saturday, Texas is still in the running for a championship -- a split national championship. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The coaches poll voters are locked into picking the winner of the BCS title game as their No. 1. Not so in the AP, which remains gloriously independent. It was that independence that allowed AP to right one of the biggest wrongs of the BCS era in 2003. USC was No. 1 in the polls but only No. 3 in the BCS that year. LSU beat Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl to win the BCS title. USC beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl to finish No. 1 in AP and gain the first split national championship since 1997. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] If Oklahoma wins the BCS title game and Texas beats (most likely) Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl, there could be an emotional swing in the AP poll to reward the 'Horns. There was a little of that last week when Texas passed Oklahoma in AP despite playing a weaker opponent (Texas A&M) than the Sooners (then-No. 11 Oklahoma State). [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] With the possibility of seven one-loss teams lurking near the top of the polls at the end of the season, the deciding factor could be the same one that was ignored in the BCS standings: On Oct. 11, Texas beat Oklahoma on the field. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "I've thought about it, absolutely," said Jimmy Burch, an AP voter from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Texas is currently third in AP, eight points ahead of No. 4 Oklahoma. The best case for Texas would be for No. 2 Florida to beat No. 1 Alabama in Saturday's SEC Championship Game. If that happens, and Oklahoma beats Missouri, here's how the AP poll could change: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT] <table align="left" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="210"> <tbody><tr> <td width="210">
img11149715.jpg
</td> <td width="15"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="210"> Mack Brown still has a shot at title No. 2 in Texas. (AP) </td> <td width="15"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Nov. 30
1. Alabama
2. Florida
3. Texas
4. Oklahoma
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Projected Dec. 7
1. Florida
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. Alabama
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] If that's the case, get ready for more flyovers, more TV appearances and more campaigning by Texas. Voters would be reminded all month, once again, that Texas beat Oklahoma on the field. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The possibility of its game gaining importance has at least crossed the minds of Fiesta Bowl officials. Fiesta executive director John Junker had to choose his words carefully, though. Sure, it would be great for his game to have a hand in a national championship but he's not going to say that publicly just yet. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "It's not our claim to make," Junker said of a possible split champion. "We're always in the interests of the student-athlete. That's not up to us, it's up to AP and other people who award trophies." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Like USC in 2003, Texas is being viewed as a victim. How much of that emotion is left after Saturday is the question. If Oklahoma routs Missouri, setting up a Big 12-SEC national championship game, Texas might fall out of the conversation. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] It won't help the 'Horns' case that they would be playing No. 10 Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. Yes, the Buckeyes are Big Ten co-champions, but they're still the Buckeyes -- recent big bowl disappointments. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "I'm not sure Texas could lay a big enough number on Ohio State," one AP voter said. [/FONT]

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Head Huntin': Introducing the Doc's big Coach Swap Board

It's December, the regular season is over and that magical time of year is just beginning for sketchily-sourced message boarders everywhere. You know what that means -- it's time to break out the first edition of the Doc's official 2008 Coach Swap Board:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-938389148-1228337350.jpg
Washington. Everyone and his brother is a candidate for the Huskies -- the Seattle Times even teased Jeff Tedford as "a potential successor" to Tyrone Willingham in a Tuesday headline ("UW to get a close look at Tedford," during Saturday's Washington-Cal game), only to say inside that Tedford "had not been contacted by UW and indications are that he won't be a candidate." Meanwhile, in connection with his name surfacing around the Mississippi State job, coveted Boise State boss Chris Petersen said he's staying at Boise, while Brian Kelly flatly snubbed the Huskies and, despite the best efforts of the Wikipedians, Jim Mora remains obstinately uninterested.
Mike Leach allegedly flew to Seattle for an interview Monday, which seems preposterous given the lifetime contract and increased recruiting profile he's secured for himself at Texas Tech. More likely candidates as of early this week are Steve Sarkisian, who interviewed on Thanksgiving, and Fresno State's Pat Hill, who talked about his interview a day after Fresno was hammered 61-10 at Boise State. That game that was supposed to decide the WAC championship at the start of the year -- and FSU may not put up much of a fight to keep Hill, who's now lost seven of eight to Boise and still never won or shared a WAC title.
Syracuse. 'Cuse was thrown for a loop by Chip Kelly's "coach-in-waiting" announcement at Oregon, which was probably in direct response to the Orange's strong push for the Duck offensive coordinator. A new name today is Florida offensive coordinator Dan Mullen, but there's no good reason Syracuse won't look up the road at Turner Gill, who has Buffalo -- freakin' Buffalo -- in the MAC Championship game Saturday.
The Orange have also interviewed another MAC up-and-comer, Temple's Al Golden, who seems to be gaining some traction, and Illinois offensive coordinator Mike Locksley. Skip Holtz has lost a lot of the luster on him in September but could still drift further onto the radar, especially if East Carolina wins the C-USA championship Saturday against Tulsa.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-475808537-1228337412.jpg
Mississippi State. Saddled with a shocking $3 million buyout to Sylvester Croom, MSU is looking young and offensive-minded. Tommy Tuberville does not fit either description, but message board rumors indicate Tuberville could be an option ($) if he's booted from Auburn, where he's been holed up in meetings with the higher-ups for two days, apparently teetering on the brink of a termination. The only hangup there may be Tuberville's $6 million buyout, but more than one report says he's all but finished on the Plains.
With Chris Petersen and both Kellys off the board, Holtz is the one name left that comes closer to the "young, offensive-minded" template, but within three days of an unexpected vacancy, they're still in "throwing names against the wall" phase. No one seems to be sticking yet, and probably won't until a few more pieces fall.
San Diego State. The Aztecs' early short list, according to Rivals, is easily my favorite: Gary Barnett, Dennis Franchione and Glen Mason. If SDSU could get Rick Neuheisel to throw his name into the ring, the collection of slick, slightly sleazy, just-better-than-mediocre, huckster retreads will be perfect and complete. Although perhaps this why they've hired a search firm, to cast a little wider net.

Tuberville out at Auburn; Mike Leach or Bobby Petrino (seriously) may be on deck

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-184431503-1228342318.jpg
Update the coaching board already: Word has emerged from the Auburn bunker, and it is that Tommy Tuberville is out as head coach. Official announcement could come later today.
Auburn lost six of its last seven since the start of October, with the only win coming against Tennessee-Martin, but otherwise, Tuberville only went undefeated four years ago, beat the hated cross-state rival six times in a row and won 45 more games in 10 years than he lost, is all. Along with Phil Fulmer, let the corpse of Tuberville's tenure be a lesson to Lane Kiffin and fellow incoming mercenaries, and the existing mercenaries as well: Woe be unto the SEC coach who takes a wrong turn with his offensive coordinator hire. Half-hearted transitions and young quarterbacks buried two of the longest-serving and most successful coaches in the country in a matter of a few weeks.
Expect the phone calls from Mississippi State to begin right ... about ... now.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-791637632-1228341890.jpg
Rumors are already flying about Tubs' successor, starting with one very intriguing name and one very ... let's say ... familiar name possibly waiting in the wings:
An unofficial Auburn representative has reached out to people close to Arkansas' Bobby Petrino and Texas Tech's Mike Leach to gauge their interest in succeeding Tommy Tuberville if the school decides to fire him, a source familiar with the contacts told The Birmingham News. Those contacts took place before talks between Tuberville and Auburn officials about the coach's future resumed today.
Three sources close to the Leach camp said the Texas Tech coach would consider Auburn if the job were open.
[...]
One source close to the Petrino camp said Auburn's window to hire him all but closed last year when he left the Atlanta Falcons for Arkansas.
Leach is just interesting, for the same reasons he was an interesting candidate at Tennessee, especially for another traditionally conservative program that just got badly burned by its attempt to ride the spread wave. But Petrino, of course, was the target of the infamous Planegate in 2003, from which Tuberville emerged triumphant with the public shaming and resignation of president William Walker and athletic director David Housel and a 13-0 season the following fall. Firing Tuberville would be one thing, but if you really want to wound the man, to rub it in his face, there's probably no better man for the job than Petrino, mercenary par excellence.
Remember also that the Birmingham News is also the paper that got the "Rich Rodriguez-to-Alabama" story completely wrong in 2006, which may be a rather petty thing to bring up two years after the fact. But fool us twice, etc.

Utah State football: Aggies inching closer to naming Andersen new coach

By Dirk Facer
Deseret News

Published: December 3, 2008
A source close to the negotiations expects Utah defensive coordinator Gary Andersen to be named head coach of the Utah State Aggies as early as this afternoon. An announcement, however, will most likely be made on Thursday morning. Andersen spent more than six hours in Logan on Tuesday, where he met with USU athletic director Scott Barnes and the team's leadership committee.
The source said the meetings were "very productive" and that USU is committing "significantly more resources to make the Aggies competitive." More money will be allocated to paying assistant coaches and to bulk up the recruiting budget.
Those were critical points for Andersen in the negotiations.
The only thing left to do, according to the source, is hammer out the details of Andersen's contract. He's expected to make at least six-figures more per year than what former coach Brent Guy made. Guy's base salary was $210,000 plus incentives.
Andersen, who was impressed with USU's facilities on Tuesday, returned to Cache Valley today — this time with his family. He has been Utah's defensive coordinator since 2005 and is a finalist for the 2008 Broyles Award, which honors the nation's top assistant coach.

I was going to say thing as the last paragraph, but it's already in there:

Sooners would be six-point favorites over Longhorns

2:10 PM Wed, Dec 03, 2008 | Permalink | <script src="http://d.yimg.com/ds/badge.js"></script>Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon <!-- Bio --> E-mail News tips
I know this because of a press release sent out on behalf of a Las Vegas oddsmaker.
"Vegas deals in facts, and the betting professionals believe that Oklahoma is clearly the superior team," R.J. Bell of Pregame.com said.
Does anybody remember the score from that game in October that OU entered as seven-point favorites? Horns fans were disappointed that the BCS didn't deal in that fact.

In Defense of the BCS (Well, Sort Of...)

from Burnt Orange Nation by billyzane
This article isn't going to win me any friends, I'm certain of that. Why? Because the other thing I'm certain of is that you hate the BCS. This sentiment has never been as fever pitched in the great state of Texas as it is now. Choruses of "we got screwed" ring out from every corner of Longhorn fandom. I've had countless friends unsuccessfully try to console me by mentioning a playoff. President Elect Obama went on Monday Night Football the day before the election and, while predictably behind the times McCain was rambling about steroids, made a brilliant political pitch to the South in advocating for an 8-team college football playoff. He repeated this advocation on 60 Minutes after the election, showing that he's legitimately serious and wasn't just pandering to a constituency he coveted.
But I beseech you, Mr. Obama, if you are serious about this whole "Team of Rivals" business, bring someone into the fold who has thought endlessly about what the college football postseason should be and who, while agreeing with you on the fundamental issue that the BCS is flawed, does not agree with you on the best way to fix that flaw. This is an incredibly nuanced issue and there should be an incredibly nuanced debate. But to be honest, sir, for someone as enamored of nuance as yourself, you display a shocking lack of nuance in your college football playoff position. Bring someone into the fold who understands the nuance, knows the political angle of it all, and above all else who won't blindly agree with you. Someone like, say, me?
Kidding aside (NB to Obama transition team: not kidding; please call), this mess merits looking more closely at the BCS than most of us have been in our blind calls for a playoff. So let's do that, shall we?
Let's start with the recitation of some facts and then go from there:

• The BCS National Champion is decided on the field, not by a formula. The BCS does not decide the national champion, it decides who plays in the national championship game. Your beef is with how those 2 teams are selected, not how the national champion is selected.
  • The BCS is a playoff. If a certain number of teams play each other on the field after the regular season and the last team remaining without a loss in that postseason is declared the champion of the sport, then it is a single elimination playoff. Thus the BCS is a 2-team playoff. Your beef is with how many teams are in that playoff, not with the fallacious "fact" that there is no playoff.
  • The BCS was meant to pit #1 vs. #2 at the end of the year to create a championship game in which the national champion was determined on the field rather than by a poll. It was not meant to do anything else. Your beef this year is not with the BCS, but rather with the Big 12 for foolishly tying its tiebreaker in with BCS rankings.
First of all, I want to address the third bullet point. What happened to Texas this weekend is not the fault of the BCS and is absolutely no reason to abandon the BCS system. Please stop blaming the BCS for this. This is the fault of the Big 12 and the Big 12 alone. The BCS is not a conference ranking system, it is a national ranking system. A national ranking system takes into account factors that a conference ranking system should not, such as non-conference schedule. The BCS is set up to do one thing and one thing only and the Big 12 decided to use it to do something completely different, and that's the fault of the Big 12, not the BCS.
Moving on to what the BCS was actually meant to do, it must be noted that the BCS was created to rectify the problem of the "mythical" national championship. Teams like undefeated #1 Texas didn't play undefeated #2 Penn State in 1969 to determine the national champion so it was awarded to the team that was #1 in the polls (or, in some cases, by Richard Nixon in the locker room after the regular season), giving such national championship a "mythical" or somewhat illegitimate quality.
[Aside: In fairness, Penn State had the option to play Texas in the Cotton Bowl, but turned it down to go to their pre-assigned Sugar Bowl because, I don't know, they liked debauchery? They were scared? Nixon had already named Texas national champion on national television? Who knows. And for those of you who are curious, yes, Joe Paterno was the head coach in 1969. In fact, JoePa's had 4 undefeated seasons in which Penn State was not named national champion, including BOTH 1968 and 1969 and most recently in 1994 with Kerry Collins, Ki-Jana Carter and Bobby Engram. The BCS was created so things like this didn't happen.]
The national championship is no longer mythical, irrational claims by bloggers notwithstanding. There are rules set forth before the season regarding who gets into a playoff to determine the national champion and whoever wins that playoff is declared national champion of division 1 college football. This is not mythical. This is exactly how every major sport does it. Your beef is simply with how many teams make that playoff and how we decide which teams make it, not with the legitimacy of the national champion named.
No doubt that for most of us (though not all), this system is superior to the previous system. But of course that doesn't make it perfect anymore than it makes Mack Brown perfect for just happening to succeed John Mackovic as head coach. And most people will agree, even those that don't consider themselves "playoff proponents" (considering the connotation that rides shotgun with that term), that there are flaws in the BCS system. As I stated in the facts above, though, those flaws are confined really to merely two categories: how many teams are in the playoff and how such teams are selected. Let's look at each.
How Many Teams Make it to the College Football Playoff: Currently the BCS restricts this to two teams. Barack Obama wants eight. I've heard calls for as many as 64 and I've heard calls that aren't patently ridiculous for as many as 16. The number of teams that make it to a playoff depends on what you want that playoff to be, as I have discussed previously on this site. Loyal and long-time readers know that I have been angling for a Flex Playoff system for over two years (see comments on this post and this post for the first primitive articulation of the system). The general idea is: (a) the college football national champion should be the team that has had the best season overall, (b) the college football playoff should include only those teams that have a legitimate claim to have had the best season overall, (c) the number of teams with such a claim changes each year, and therefore (d) the number of teams in that playoff should change accordingly, under rules for determining who has a legitimate claim to have had the best season overall.
The ultimate articulation of this system was a lengthy two-part treatise I wrote in early 2007 outlining the theoretical basis for the Flex System and then the Flex System itself. That's required reading for anyone who wants to fully understand what I'm talking about here, with the caveat that I will be slightly amending the rules of the Flex System itself this offseason as further thought has led me to slightly different conclusions about how to deal with certain situations. Be advised that these revisions have nothing to do with Texas' exclusion from the Big 12 Championship game (and thus the revisions are not just sour grapes) because (a) that exclusion has nothing to do with the college football playoff, as I have mentioned previously, and (b) Texas would already be in the college football playoff under the current Flex System, no matter what happens this weekend.
At the very least, I think that just about everyone can agree that in at least some years, two teams are not enough to be let into the playoff, most notably in 2003 (no undefeated teams but three indistinguishable 1-loss teams: USC, OU, and LSU) and in 2004 (three undefeated BCS conference teams (USC, OU, and Auburn). I personally believe that in some years, two teams is exactly the right number of teams that should be put into a playoff, most notably in 2005 when USC and Texas were the only two undefeated teams in the country and widely agreed to be the only two with a legitimate claim to have had the best year. But, continuing with the Penn State theme, what if Chad Henne hadn't hit Mario Manningham for a game-winning touchdown at the last second to give the Nittany Lions their only loss of the season? Penn State likely would have been an undefeated #3 and JoePa would have 5 undefeated seasons that didn't result in national championships rather than 4. And that's not fair.
So if there are some years in which two teams are simply not enough to put into a playoff, then you have two options: (1) adjust the number of teams who do get in depending on the circumstances of each year to only include teams with a legitimate claim to have had the best season overall (i.e. the Flex System) or (2) increase the number of teams that get in every year, and thereby let in teams that clearly do not have a claim to have had the best season and allow them the possibility of winning the national championship. Option 2 is what just about every other sport does (though MLB held out against this for a long time and still tries to maintain some semblance of this idea) and it rewards teams who get hot at the end of the season but who may have lost a lot of games early over teams that have had better seasons. Both are viable options and I have my obvious preference. But something needs to be done.
How Teams that Make the College Football Playoff are Selected: The determination of who gets into the playoff is a bone of contention as well. This has to be done in some manner, whether it's by a committee at the end of the season (like college basketball) or it's by only letting in conference champions or it's by a ranking system of some sort. Because very often some of the best teams in the country all come from the same conference, I think that you have to let in teams that did not win their conference if you really want to have a meaningful playoff. So for me, it comes down to a committee or a ranking system. Let's first look at a ranking system.
We're all familiar with the BCS ranking system after the massive amount of posts I've done over the past few weeks trying to figure out a possible way for Texas to make it to KC and Miami. I actually think this is a fine system in theory, with three caveats: (1) there should be nothing that computers can't take into account except for perhaps margin of victory over a certain point (really, beating a team by 42 points isn't much different from beating them by 28 points), (2) there should be more computers to get a meaningful average, and (3) human voters shouldn't be idiots who don't follow college football or coaches who think a team they just voted ahead of Texas is undefeated when they actually lost to Texas or who just vote for the team that played better against their team rather than which had the better season.
Honestly, I think the computers plus humans system is a good ranking tool. Humans are able to detect nuance in a team's performance that computers are not, and computers are able to give objective treatment to the accomplishments of each team whereas humans are not. The BCS can easily fix problem (1) above by executive fiat, and can fix problem (2) by not eliminating the high and low rankings and adding a few more reputable computers. Those are easy. The hard part comes in fixing problem (3). First, the coaches poll has to be eliminated from the system. If the coaches want to have a poll, that's fine. But it should have no bearing on who goes to the playoff. The ideal human poll is something like what the Harris Poll is supposed to be: a group of intelligent college football fans who know the sport through and through and who legitimately respect the job of ranking teams.
But the main problem with the notion of human voters at all is the recent dawning of their enlightenment about the place they hold in the BCS system. One thing that I'm not particularly comfortable with is the fact that human voters are learning how to manipulate their votes in their individual polls to get the result they want from the BCS. Maybe they're not actually doing this and it's just us speculating that they are, but all this talk of "voters won't allow a 1-loss SEC champion to be left out of the national championship game so they'll vote Florida #1 over OU just to make sure Florida goes over Texas" is extremely scary. Voters should be voting on who they think has had the best season and on no other basis, particularly not one with a specific agenda. In a sense, voters should not be sentient about their place in the system. They should, just as the computers do with their unique abilities, use their unique human abilities to rank teams and not worry about the ultimate effect of those rankings. This is a corollary to the stated reason for why the AP pulled out of the BCS: they want to report news, not make it.
Let's not forget that after all our politicking last week, large swaths of human voters moved Texas ahead of OU after Texas blew out a terrible team and OU won fairly convincingly over a good team. Did these two results warrant this change? Absolutely not. Voters were responding to what they saw as an injustice that was about to happen. Voters probably should have had Texas above by a lot to begin with and then considered the possibility of moving OU ahead after they beat OSU, but that's tangential to my point here. My point is that voters can be swayed by politicking. Sometimes it's politicking to get them to actually focus on the results of the season, but sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's to say "Hey, make sure you put Florida ahead of OU and Alabama ahead of Texas on your final ballot so we can make sure that the computers don't send Texas to the national championship game ahead of the Gators."
How do you get rid of that? You don't release any BCS rankings before the last one! You don't release the polls that are included in the BCS formula until late in the season! And you make every single person's vote public every single week that the poll is released along with a minimum 500-word explanation of why they ranked the top 5 they way that they did! These aren't going to cure everything, obviously. But the more transparency there is and the fewer opportunities there are for blatant manipulation of the BCS standings, the better the system will be. If you have read the Flex System proposal, you know that my preference is for taking these BCS rankings and applying certain rules to them for determining who gets into a playoff (i.e. if there are only 2 undefeated teams in the top 5 of the BCS standings and they are ranked 1-2, then there is a 2-team playoff between those 2 teams--like in 2005 with Texas and USC). But however the BCS standings determine who makes the playoffs, that ranking system needs some tweaks.
I owe you a brief word on the committee system, and here it is. It only works if you have a giant playoff where the last few teams in have approximately 0% chance of winning the playoff and where the teams in the playoff have to win a lot of games to win the whole thing. The fewer games there are in the playoff, the more illegitimate the committee will seem. Now, you will say that the same is true of a ranking system which means we should just have a big playoff, but that's not true. For instance, in my Flex System, the rules for who gets into the playoff are set before the season starts, not after the season is over. You may disagree with who gets in and who doesn't but it's not illegitimate because it's not biased against any specific teams. If you decide who gets into a playoff after the season, the decisions are suspect for bias, and if it isn't a huge playoff, there isn't a reason to dismiss any alleged claims of bias.
Conclusion:
I know there appears to be a rift between the title of this post and the content, in which I have criticized the BCS throughout. But if you look closely, the criticisms aren't of the premise of the system, but rather of its methods. It's an affirmation of the BCS, which is a playoff system in which the winner of that playoff is named national champion, and a refutation of numerous arguments against it. But it's also a recognition that the system would be better if sometimes we let in more teams than two, and maybe we slightly reformed the system for determining who gets invited to the playoff. At the least, it's a plea for everyone to make nuanced arguments for what we believe rather than blanket statements condemning the BCS (and that means you too, Mr. Obama).
REAL Conclusion: Seriously though, Mr. President Elect.....shoot me an e-mail on your blackberry while you still can. Team of Rivals!

rj,

please make sure you have a holiday bowl edition special of your thread...thanks for all of the info. man...

The Spotlight Is on Leach

from The Wiz of Odds by Jay Christensen
This isn't the first time Mike Leach has tried to get the hell out of Lubbock. He might actually succeed this time.
In 2006, Leach made a run at the Miami job. He even had friend Donald Trump contact Miami president Donna Shalala on his behalf.
Shalala didn't listen and hired Randy Shannon instead. Trump then wrote a letter to Shalala in November 2007, when the Hurricanes were struggling through a 5-7 season.
"You are my friend, but you should have listened to me," Trump wrote. "If you did, your team would be fighting for the National Championship."
The letter was confirmed by Trump assistant Rhona Graff.
Last year Leach desperately wanted the UCLA job but Bruin officials were concerned over his outspoken nature and took a pass.
Don't believe all the chatter you hear about Texas Tech rushing to get Leach a new contract. A member of Tech's Board of Regents said Wednesday that regents would be advised about the parameters of a contract offer before one is proposed to Leach and that hasn't happened yet.
The only action taken to this point is the creation of the Keep Leach site, which is seeking donations to keep the coach in town. But in the end, Texas Tech might not be able to afford Leach.
Washington interviewed the coach on Monday and Tuesday and Fresno State's Pat Hill, who interviewed with the Huskies over the weekend, reportedly has taken himself out of the running.
That leaves Leach and USC offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian as the top candidates, but the Huskies might have to battle Auburn for Leach. The Tigers are expected to move quickly to replace Tommy Tuberville and have already been in touch with the Texas Tech coach.
In other coaching news:
Toledo is expected to name Tim Beckman, defensive coordinator at Oklahoma State, as its new coach, according to Maureen Fulton and Dave Hakenberg of the Toledo Blade.
Utah State will introduce Gary Andersen, defensive coordinator at Utah, as its coach Thursday

THE 12 HOTTEST "SLOPPY SECOND" WAGS

In light of Sean Avery's "sloppy second" comments, we decided to look back at some WAGS who have definitely had their run with men in their lives. In fact, most of them aren't just sloppy seconds, but thirds and fourths in many cases. And while most of these WAGS have ridden the athlete train, a few are having their first go around. Nonetheless, their famous exploits with others are listed here.

Without further adeiu,

The 12 Hottest "Sloppy Second" WAGS

Danielle Lloyd

tnlloyd.jpg

Currently with: Ryan Babel
Why is she a "sloppy second"?: If there was ever such a thing as a professional WAG, Lloyd is it. Her exploits include the entire English Premier League. Teddy Sheringham and Marcus Bent just to name a few

Kim Kardashian

tnkardashian.jpg

Currently with: Reggie Bush
Why is she a "sloppy second"? Um, have you seen the sex tape?

Alyssa Milano

tnalyssa.jpg

Currently with: Whatever baseball player is hot for the month
Why is she a "sloppy second"?: Who hasn't Sam Miceli been with...Carl Pavano, Barry Zito, Greg Maddux, Brad Penny...need I go on

Gisele Bundchen

tnGisele.jpg

Currently with: Tom Brady
Why is she a "sloppy second"?: Leonardo Dicaprio, Surfer Kelly Slater

Jessica Simpson

tnSimpson.jpg

Currently with: Tony Romo
Why is she a "sloppy second"?: Put it this way, she wasn't always a Cowboys fan...Nick Lachey, Jude Law

Hilary Duff

tnduff.jpg

Currently with: Mike Comrie
Why is she a "sloppy second"?: Another girl who couldn't keep her hands off Barry Zito. Dude is a rockstar.

Eva Longoria

tnlongoria.jpg

Currently with: Tony Parker
Why is she a "sloppy second"?: JC Chasez, Hayden Christenson

Kendra Wilkinson

tnkendra.jpg

Currently with: Hank Baskett
Why is she a "sloppy second"?: Just watch Girls Next Door..just once....I don't even want to know what Hugh did to her

Jennifer Walcott

tnwalcott.jpg

Currently with: Adam Archuleta
Why is she a "sloppy second"?: She dated Jake Plummer when he had that nasty stache. That not only makes her sloppy but dirty as well.

Adriana Lima

tnlima.jpg

Currently with: Marko Jaric
Why is she a "sloppy second? You think Marko got to her first? She's part of the Derek Jeter train.

Rachel Hunter

tnhunter.jpg

Currently with: Jarrett Stoll
Why is she a "sloppy second"?: Rachel's been around the block a few times but her relationship with Avery will haunt her for life

Elisha Cuthbert

tnelisha_cuthbert.jpg

Currently with: Dion Phaneuf
Why is she a "sloppy second"?: I'll give you a hint, his name might rhyme with Bavery. But again, not the only hockey player she's been with. Mike Komisarek as well

Headlinin': Tuberville fallout, Part One

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-686601756-1228401177.jpg
Make no mistake: We will take your coach from you. From the three standard Big Questions surrounding Tommy Tuberville's exit from Auburn -- What's the Buyout?, What was the Process? and What's Next? -- come three modestly surprising answers: Tubs' buyout is $5.1 million, not $6 mil; he leaves on better terms with the power brokers than he usually worked under; and though Mississippi State might be interested, Tuberville would be a natural behind the mike, as the newest addition to ESPN's fired coach purgatory, for example. As far as his successor, goes though, there is no shortage of chutzpah -- get a load of perhaps the most ambitious wish list in coaching search history:
AuburnSports.com has identified several prominent candidates for the Auburn job including Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp, Florida State offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher, Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach and Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson.​
The Birmingham News comes out with essentially the same list, minus Johnson and adding Louisiana Tech boss Derek Dooley (son of the Georgia legend) and, yes, Bobby Petrino. I guess when you fire a coach with Tuberville's record, you'd better be shooting for the stars. Two of those names (Muschamp and Fisher, the two highest-paid coordinators in the country) are very recently locked up in lucrative coach-in-waiting deals at their own mega-schools; presumably, they're off the table both ethically and contractually. Another, Johnson, is just one year into a tenure that, from early returns, will be wildly successful at Georgia Tech, and aside from the defensive line has virtually his entire team returning in 2009, including Josh Nesbitt and Jonathan Dwyer. Petrino is not only a longshot and a slap in the face after his ordeal with Auburn in 2003, but apparently has a clause in his contract at Arkansas that prevents him from going to another SEC West school; he'd probably also like to avoid adding to his reputation as an opportunistic climber.
The only name that makes any sense there is Leach, who likely has already been contacted about the job and, if his unlikely dalliance with Washington is any indication, is quite open to leaving the Passing Pirate's Paradise he's built in Lubbock. That talk of an extension at Texas Tech seems to have been a little premature.
Tuberville's exit has already cost the Tigers at least two commitments: Cornerback David Conner from Mississippi powerhouse South Panola backed out as soon as he heard the news, and defensive lineman Terrance Coleman -- nephew of current Tiger DE Antonio Coleman -- quickly followed suit. The next boss had better come fast and be ready to steady a tumultuous, leaky ship.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-417602504-1228401146.jpg
Speaking of the Cap'n ... If Auburn is into Leach, it had better get on its horse: Rumor in Seattle is Leach will be back for a second interview at Washington sometime very soon. With Jim Mora, Chip Kelly, Chris Petersen, Brian Kelly and now apparently Pat Hill off the table for the Huskies, Leach becomes the frontrunner at UW, and one of only two names (with USC offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian) that seems to have any traction at all.
It seems your work is average at best. Welcome to the team! Oklahoma State has never been known for defense, but that didn't prevent OSU defensive coordinator Tim Beckman from landing the head coaching job at Toledo. Beckman is from Ohio and was Urban Meyer's defensive coordinator at Bowling Green. The two units he coordinated at Oklahoma State finished 101st and 85th nationally in total defense, below average even by Big 12 standards. He probably won't coach in the Cowboys' bowl game.
In other mid-major coaching news, Utah defensive coordinator Gary Anderson is probably set to be announced as the new head coach at Utah State today. Good thing DeWayne Walker won't be seeking it, then.
A personal note: It is on. So my alma mater, which began its first season under a new coach a desperate 2-6 through eight games with consecutive losses to Marshall, UTEP, Boise State, Rice and Memphis, rallied to win its last four and was rewarded for finishing .500 Tuesday with a bid to the New Orleans Bowl, sponsored by the fine courier service R+L Carriers. Huzzah, etc.
Southern Miss takes crappy bowl games for granted (including three trips to the not-so-crappy Liberty as conference champion, the Eagles will play in their 11th bowl in 12 years), and usually I wouldn't even bring up a token, watered-down, nothing game you wouldn't even watch on a random Tuesday night. Except that the likely Sun Belt champion/New Orleans Bowl opponent, Troy, is talking awfully tough for, you know, a team from the Sun Belt:
"When you think about it, that’s the only downfall about New Orleans," safety Tavares Williams said. "The trip is great, but we’d play a Conference USA team that we feel like we could dominate. They don’t send their No. 1 or No. 2 team to New Orleans. We get one of the mid (fifth or sixth place) teams that really can’t compete with us, but they’re just in a bigger conference. "It would be nice to play a team that people would think are better than us."
Very, very rarely do I find it necessary -- or even possible -- to defend the honor of Conference USA, but, ahem:
Record of Sun Belt teams vs. C-USA teams in 2008: 1-7
Average score: C-USA Team 42, Sun Belt Team 24
Total non-conference record of C-USA teams in 2008: 18-30 (.375)
Total non-conference record of Sun Belt teams in 2008: 8-27 (.229)
Record of current Sun Belt teams vs. C-USA since 1996 (when C-USA formed): 13-49 (.210)
Southern Miss record vs. Sun Belt teams in 2008: 2-0
Southern Miss record vs. Sun Belt teams since 1996: 7-0
Southern Miss average score vs. Sun Belt since 1996: USM 32, Sun Belt 14
Very lackluster Eagle teams have played Sun Belt champions in the New Orleans Bowl twice in the last four years and dispatched both of them easily. For the first two months of the season, this was a horrible Eagle team, and I suspect Williams is right that Troy will be favored, based on its first half effort at LSU. But any kind of Trojan win -- dominant or otherwise -- will be just another in a series of abject humiliations for Southern Miss as far as I'm concerned. USM's string of winning seasons is on the line, and if it can't extend that number to 16 in a row against a team from the Sun Belt, any team from the Sun Belt, it doesn't deserve the streak and shouldn't be in a bowl game at all.
Quickly ... If you missed it, UL-Lafayette became bowl-eligible with a 42-28 win over Middle Tennessee Wednesday night. ... Looking back with the inventor of instant replay, 45 years later. ... Rice will be at home for a date in the Houston Bowl. ... West Virginia will wear its road jerseys and is trying to encourage a White Out to honor Pat White in the senior's final home game against South Florida. ... Maybe Georgia fans should leave Willie Martinez alone. ... Derrick Thomas' son is a fairly big time prospect. ... Now that he has a little job security, Pete Carroll honestly assesses his performance in 2001, his first year at USC. And finally, some fireworks during UCLA week. ... And Alcorn State might want to work on its communication skills at its next round of professional development.

Adding:

Teaser Rutgers -5/Ball St -8 (-110)

Get some action on the mid-week games. Like both of the home favs who are playing for something real special. L-ville has thrown in the towel and Rutgers is looking very solid. At the same time, Ball St is not showing any signs of a letdown now and will be great on the carpet at Ford Field.

With the teaser, getting nice short lines on both games.

The Wannabe Wagerer's losing streak is officially OVER

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Doug Gillett
Hey Jenny Slater's Doug Gillett offers betting advice without bias, malice or credibility. Or, you, know, money. Pop quiz, everybody! 0-3-1 is:
a) Jimmy Clausen’s line against Southern Cal on Saturday
b) Georgia free safety Reshad Jones’s tackling success rate against Georgia Tech
c) My picks record last week
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-411005658-1228408921.jpg
The first two answers might be tempting, but no, the answer is c), which puts me at a dismal 2-9-1 over the last three weeks. I’m still up more than five grand since the start of the season, but a couple more bad weeks like this and I’m gonna have to find someone else to start my car for me.
The Pick: Southern Cal (-33) at UCLA
I'm Willing to Bet: 24 white replica USC jerseys
Approximate Value: $1,440 at eTrojans.com
OK, Pete Carroll. You screwed me on the Stanford game, letting the Cardinal score a meaningless TD on the last play of the game that pulled them within the sizable point spread. So now it’s time to pony up. This weekend you’re facing the local rival, whose new head coach who unilaterally declared your L.A. football monopoly "officially over" back in August. Aren’t you mad? Don’t you just feel like runnin' it up? You’ve got BCS computers to convince, brah!
Actually, even without the BCS number-crunchers or the too-big-for-their-britches newspaper ads, the Trojans should romp here. UCLA’s offense has regressed to the point of negative production -- they effectively scored touchdowns for the other team last Friday -- while USC’s defense is allowing fewer than eight points per game and recently held Notre Dame without a first down for nearly three full quarters. Maybe Rey Maualuga will be the game’s leading scorer, or maybe the Bruins will find a way to score negative points for the first time ever, but either way, USC would have to go out of its way to not cover 33 here. After seeing both the Trojans and their cheer squads in action live and in person last week, I really wanted to find a Song Girl uniform to wager on this. Instead, Trojans, here’s enough road whites for both your starting elevens and your punter and kicker, if y'all change your mind about donning the home reds on the Bruins' turf. (If anybody knows where to get a Song Girl uni, by the way, holler. I’m trying to coax my girlfriend into one.)
The Pick: Ball State (-15) vs. Buffalo (in Detroit)
I'm Willing to Bet: David Letterman-autographed issue of TV Guide
Approximate Value: $34.99 on eBay
Both BSU and Buffalo were dead programs walking for about a decade before their recent resurgence under head coaches Brady Hoke and Turner Gill, but their respective paths to the MAC Championship game haven't been all that similar. UB has succeeded by playing a disciplined, turnover-light brand of football on offense, but their defense has run into trouble when it’s had to face the better offenses both inside and outside the league. Ball State's attack certainly qualifies, averaging 37.7 points behind quarterback Nate Davis and diminutive RB MiQuale Lewis.
Only 2006-07 champ Central Michigan has finished within single digits of BSU this season, and it won’t happen again Friday night, as Ball State covers a pair of TDs to punch its ticket to ... well, right back to Detroit for the Motor City Bowl. Playing the conference title game and the champion’s bowl game in the same stadium within a few weeks of one another -- what kind of sense does that make? Something tells me noted BSU grad David Letterman would find something very funny about that, if it weren’t his alma mater having to spend two weekends in Detroit.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-133897054-1228409020.jpg
The Pick: Boston College (-1) vs. Virginia Tech (in Tampa)
I'm Willing to Bet: Autographed box of Flutie Flakes
Approximate Value: $79.95 (including shipping) at eBay
There were any number of reasons why I went a dismal o-fer last week, but one of the biggest was the way that Boston College managed to overcome what I’ve started calling Maryland Karma: Despite being unbeaten against ranked teams, despite performing particularly well against the ACC’s division leaders, despite going up against a BC's backup quarterback, the Terps couldn’t get it done and basically shoved the Eagles right into the ACC title game.
If BC can overcome the dark, mysterious power of Maryland Karma, then they should be able to overcome the Hokies, who had to slog through an ugly 17-14 win over Virginia just to get to the title game and currently languish at 103rd in the nation in total offense. BC’s offense isn’t much better, but they’ve been getting help from an eighth-ranked D that’s scored a pick-six in four straight games, which means they’re probably licking their chops at the combined 5-10 TD-INT ratio assembled by Tyrod Taylor and Sean Glennon this season. And after losing to VaTech 30-16 in last year’s ACC championship, the revenge-minded Eagles will win a pick-’em in Tampa, securing just their second January bowl since the Flutie years.
The Pick: Navy (-11.5) vs. Army (in Philadelphia)
I'm Willing to Bet: Handmade model of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter
Approximate Value: $119.95 at Modelworks
2001: That’s the last time Army beat Navy. Check that -- that’s the last time Army came within two touchdowns of Navy, so complete was the Midshipmen’s revival under current Georgia Tech mad scientist Paul Johnson. And with the Middies continuing to run a triple-option offense as diabolical as the last name of their new head coach, Ken Niumatololo, they have every intention of keeping the Commander in Chief’s Trophy in Annapolis for years to come.
Army, meanwhile, has had a typical Army season: The Cadets beat the Tulanes and the Eastern Michigans of the world, but mostly just serve as a snack for the better-regarded teams on the schedule. And for the last six years, a “typical Army season” has included a beatdown by Navy, by an average of four touchdowns. I don’t know that this year’s margin will be quite that large, as the Black Knights have figured out how to play a little defense, but I’m still picking Navy to cover eleven and a half and bring home the CiC’s Trophy for the seventh year in a row, which will look great in the Bancroft Hall trophy case next to a scale version of an $83-million flytoy.

This may be an interesting take on tonight's game:

Resignation rumors dominate the final day of the 2008 season

from Card Chronicle by Mike Rutherford
We (I) ordinarily try to avoid acknowledging the hot message board rumor of the day or the week, but to ignore this one would be ignoring the issue dominating the minds of the vast majority of U of L football fans on this final day of the regular season.
The "Steve Kragthorpe will resign after the Rutgers game" rumors have slowly been gaining momentum since the tail end of last week, and hit their peak with the following, which was posted by "OfficeCard97" on Inside the Ville last night.
Let me preface this first before I post this. Steve Kragthorpe is a stand up guy, even though there was more to the SMU situation last year, I believe Steve Kragthorpe is one of the better guys in football. He definitely is a quality person, and he may very well succeed at a smaller program. He's the type of guy who could likely do well at a smaller type program where football is a priority, but it's not a high pressure situation and he can get to know the players.

Anyway, I've posted before, one of my friends is a high ranking booster, and you don't have to believe anything just thought I would share. But Steve Kragthorpe is definitely gone after the Rutgers game, win or lose. It would be a small miracle if we win at Rutgers in the first place the way I've heard the team has practiced the last week in the first place, but he is definitely gone.

The siutation can be summed up at this: Steve Kragthorpe is not a right fit, and with the next year being very important to the program, it has become too much to overcome with him returning. An expansion on the way, the fans will simply not accept another year of this. It's become a threat to the funding of the program. There will be a mutual sort of agreement where Steve Kragthorpe will be paid a lump sum of money to leave. Possibly around $500,000 is the word. Note, that this is a mutual agreement, so any sort of previous buyout agreement is not going to be upheld.

Things are NOT looking good for the program in general, so this is a measure that needs to be taken. Steve Kragthorpe himself is a major part of this sentiment, the stress on him and his family is not something he feels will drop, and he knows that this is a thing that could happen either this year, or next year, so he is opting to get this over with and move on. It is somewhat similar to the Tubby Smith situation. Even though Kragthorpe could likely come back next year, because Tom Jurich would allow it, that isn't the issue. The feeling is, the writing is on the wall, next year things are not expected to be better, so the feeling is this will eventually happen one way or another so Kragthorpe will opt to not put himself or his family through any more stress and save himself as much face as possible. For what its worth, I've heard Tom Jurich will go lengths for Steve Kragthorpe to be considered for another job, although Kragthorpe may take the following year off althogether and return to Tulsa. Similar to John L Smith returning here.

It's still premature in the future coach process, the feelers stage. I once heard that Ron English would be considered for the position, and given a year or two to see how things go. That is out of the question now. It's considered a certainty that Ron English will be the next head coach at Eastern Michigan. Any future coach here will be made up of almost an entirely new staff. Early names I've heard are Scott Linehan, the ex-Rams coach, who has ties here. Both coordinators at Florida will be pursued, it depends on what the other job offers are for these individuals on which to pursue, either Charlie Strong, or Dan Mullen. Even Brian Kelley has been mentioned, but this is considered a long shot to switch programs within the conference.

That's my information, take it for what its worth. And also by the way, would not be surprised for things to leak out shortly around the Rutgers game or after it.
For what it's worth (a free taco at Taco Bell), I've heard absolutely nothing about this one way or the other, but I'll still say that I'd be more surprised if Steve Kragthorpe weren't the head coach next season than I will be if he is.
There's certainly a solid chance that there's zero truth to this rumor, but if nothing else it gives the otherwise disinterested a reason to pay attention tonight, which is something...I guess.
Go Cards?

Mystery plane flying over campus as battle of the banners continues

from Bevo Beat

A small plane was flying over the UT campus around noon Thursday, carrying a banner that says:
HEY MACK. QUIT WHINING U KNEW THE RULES
An eyewitness says that few students were even bothering to look up at the banner. In other words, it’s not causing a stir.
Best guess on who is responsible? How about Oklahoma fans.
OU slipped past Texas into second place in the Bowl Championship Series rankings. That ranking broke a three-way tie in the south division and allowed the Sooners to play in Saturday’s Big 12 Conference championship game against Missouri.
Coincidentally, the Longhorns beat both participants by double-digits in the regular season.
Texas fans rented a plane to fly over Stillwater last Saturday morning. It carried a banner reminding people that the Longhorns beat the Sooners 45-35. The plane flyover was designed to coincide with the telecast of ESPN’s College Football GameDay.
The Longhorns took the lead over OU in two of three three major human polls. In the third, Texas trailed the Sooners by one point. However, OU was able to edge out Texas after the six computer polls weighed in.

Charlie Weis has a job. Tommy Tuberville and Phil Fulmer do not. What a country!

Here is Nick Saban, talking Wednesday evening about many things, among them the axe that fell on Tommy Tuberville earlier in the day (hang around: he brings it up early and again later on):<table style="border-style: none; border-width: 0px; padding: 0px; text-align: center;"><tbody><tr><td style="text-align: center;">
</td></tr><tr><td style="text-align: center;">
</td></tr></tbody></table>There seem to be two perspectives coming from the Auburn side of things, though there's really only one from the national perspective, briefly summed up in the instant reaction here: Tuberville was 85-40 over 10 years, had the 11th-highest win percentage in the country and third-best in the SEC in the eight years between his first season (1999) and his last, went undefeated in 2004, had a winning record against top-10 and top-25 teams and beat Alabama six straight times.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-171278089-1228415260.jpg
That's a near-impeccable resumé in the big picture, and the reason a large segment of Tiger fans are hurt, sickened, angry and ashamed while hugely successful, respected coaches like Saban are left to think, "I guess I'm 5-7 away from the same thing."
You'll find the other side at The Joe Cribbs Car Wash, who is appreciative of Tubs' overall body of work, but can see his next two weeks of posts unfolding before him:
I'm going to end up a broken record on this over the next several weeks (or months, or years), but: this was NOT a case of Auburn having "one bad year." Statistically, the 2006 team was in no way an 11-2 team and represented a substantial step down from the 2005 quality team. 2007 was another dramatic step down, this time with the losses to accompany it. And the 2008 record is not a fluke: Auburn is tied for 107th in the country in offensive yards-per-play and was a missed Miss. St. field goal and a botched Tennessee handoff from going winless in the SEC.
This is the lament of someone who's watched the games and had a sinking feeling in his stomach long before it showed up on the record. I know what it's like to have a vastly different opinion than the media looking from the outside in about the direction of a beloved program under a largely successful coach; in Jerry's case at TJCCW, as he pointed out two weeks ago and again Wednesday, that malaise that showed finally showed up in the record has been present in the declining level of Auburn's average play over the last five years:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-684514871-1228415315.jpg
Jerry is patient enough to emphasize that he would have preferred to have Tuberville back for an 11th season. But when you consider watching that decline in person, you can understand his forgiving attitude toward the administration -- if, in fact, it actually was the administration's decision rather than Tuberville's, which isn't certain at this point.
So Tuberville and Fulmer, long-tenured, championship-winning coaches with career winning percentages above 60 percent, one of them at his alma mater, have been shown the door. Such is life when Urban Meyer, Nick Saban and Mark Richt are glowering from the opposite sideline, making a mint and turning bricks into gold in two or three years. And when the new kingpins get slightly complacent and briefly lose ground to the next round of mercenaries, Saban is right: He'll be next. If you're going cutthroat, shelling out $4 million a year for championship games, mega-payouts from bowls and huge gates, you can't afford luxuries like patience and rebuilding.
That brings us to Notre Dame, where, in contrast to Fulmer and Tuberville, there isn't much of a debate about the Irish's decision to bring back Charlie Weis: the Chicago Tribune thinks it's a bad idea, the Sun-Times' Neil Hayes says four years is long enough to evaluate anyone, the South Bend Tribune says Weis' return proves an ugly double standard, Rakes of Mallow makes the case for firing Weis and the Blue-Gray Sky just assumes the school is keeping the seat warm for Weis' successor. No one publicly evaluating Notre Dame's thinks Weis has any long-term prospects except Jack Swarbrick, who's opinion happens to be the only one that matters.
That is loyalty, patience and commitment to a man who has led ND to its worst two-year run in program history. And it is universally expected to fail miserably.

Al Golden Believes Temple Is a Better Job Than Syracuse

by Chas RichFiled under: Syracuse, Temple, Big East, MAC, NCAA FB Coaching
templeowlmascot.jpg
Maybe Al Golden is just really loyal to the Owls. Or maybe it's a message to Syracuse of just how far they have fallen.
"Syracuse asked for permission to speak with Coach Golden, and it was granted," said Temple Director of Athletics Bill Bradshaw. "However, Coach Golden has indicated that he is not interested in pursuing the position."
Ouch. It's not like Syracuse hasn't been suffering enough the last few years. Now the coach of a team kicked out of the Big East isn't even interested.

On the other hand, this could be about Golden looking at a bigger brass ring. The Penn State alum has long been mentioned as a possible successor to Joe Paterno. He might think that possibility is actually getting closer than ever. Or he could be eying the Virginia job. The former Hoo defensive coordinator had to notice that Al Groh was not getting the additional year on his contract after this season.

Both jobs might be available in the next year or two. Golden just might be waiting a little longer for a better opportunity.Al Golden Believes Temple Is a Better Job Than Syracuse originally appeared on NCAA Football FanHouse on Thu, 04 Dec 2008 13:17:00 EST . Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Dabo Swinney Already Cleaning House At Clemson

by IanFiled under: Clemson, Tennessee, ACC, SEC, NCAA FB Coaching
56248314.jpg
Now that the term "Clemson interim head coach" has been lifted off of Dabo Swinney's c.v., he's ready to build a staff in his own image. And while defense rarely seemed like too much of a problem for the Tigers (not while their more high-profile offensive stars were getting injured and/or benched), it looks like Vic Koenning will be moving on in favor of Maryland assistant Danny Pearman (a former Clemson TE) and a few Mississippi State guys who share Swinney's ties with 'Bama. From the sound of things, Koenning was the guy who laid out the ultimatum and despite accepting defeat (sorta) when Swinney couldn't commit, he didn't mind clapping back a little on his way out:
"They were being very noncommittal with our future, and we had already been through seven weeks of that," Koenning said. "With what we'd done on defense here, not just this year, but four years in a row, the best they've had over a span in the school's history by a lot. ... Over a four-year period there might be one or two defenses that have been better. For them not to be able to commit ... I just didn't think it was fair."​
And keeping with the SEC theme, reports indicate that Swinney has already contacted longtime Tennessee assistant John Chavis. Well, it's not Fulmer, but on the same path...
Dabo Swinney Already Cleaning House At Clemson originally appeared on NCAA Football FanHouse on Thu, 04 Dec 2008 13:48:00 EST . Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

PERCY HARVIN’S INJURIES: AN ILLUSTRATED HISTORY

from Every Day Should Be Saturday by Orson Swindle
Percy Harvin is injured. Big deal, we say: Percy Harvin is always injured. Just before the national title game in 2006, Percy Harvin sneezed and severed his femoral artery. Bleeding profusely and on the brink of death, he put on his pants, strapped on the helmet, and after three cups of Gatorade ripped off 82 yards of total offense and a TD against the Ohio State Buckeyes. He then died immediately postgame, but recovered in time for spring practices.
Like a finely tuned sports car, Percy runs at top speed and, more frequently than not, is on blocks during the week receiving physical therapy, being massaged by virgins, and laughing gustily at the jesters and midgets who amuse the court at Florida. For the uninitiated, here’s an easy summary of Percy’s injuries over the years.

We left out an ingrown toenail that had him in the ICU until three hours before the South Carolina game. He was slowed to a mere 8 carry, 167 yard performance as a result. Our apologies. (HT: Holly.)

Back