2008-09 CFB Record
59-46-3 +7.95 Units

Picks
Teaser Rutgers -5/Ball St -8 (-110)
Navy -9' (-110)

Last edited:
Croom: Ironically, Croom'd.

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
Scroll down or click here for the Doc's weekly game day live blog.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-903819238-1227984795.jpg
The first black head coach in SEC history came, he saw, he Croom'd. Today, one day after a 45-0 beatdown in the Egg Bowl, he Crooms no more.
I have no affiliation with or affinity for Mississippi State, but most of my family does, and from that perspective I say with a great deal of confidence that Croom had no chance to win at Mississippi State. Come on: It's Mississippi State, now 67 years removed from its last SEC championship, the least-resourced school in the conference, forced to share talent in a low-population state with two other I-A schools and consistently successful poachers from surrounding states. Not many available coaches would wind up much better than 10-30 in SEC games from Starkville, and except for Jackie Sherrill -- who only won in the process of sticking the program with double secret probation in the late nineties -- almost every available coach has: MSU's all-time SEC winning percentage prior to 2004 was 35 percent. The only MSU coach since World War II with a winning tenure (including Sherrill, who was 75-75) is Darrell Royal, who had back-to-back 6-4 seasons in 1954-55 before leaving to build his Xanadu at Texas.
Croom's teams upset Florida, <strike>Georgia</strike>, Auburn and Alabama (twice), put the nail in the coffins of Ron Zook and Mike Shula and managed to win eight games in 2007 despite having no offense whatsoever. He wasn't about to turn a very stale program around. But I don't get the sense than anyone involved with Mississippi State will ever begrudge him that, or think of the last five years as a low point. Sly was just caught in a very long, powerful vortex.
Now: Who wants this job?

The Grohs Deserve to Get Fired

from The FanHouse - NCAAfootball
by IanFiled under: Virginia, ACC
77841752.jpg
It usually only existed in the dreams of Virginia's most inventive and intuitive fans -- Virginia high school record holder Vic Hall at the wheel, running a sort of wildcat-option scheme that could rejuvenate what was usually seen as a terribly conservative Cavaliers offense. And indeed, in the first half, it happened -- Hall ran a 40-yard touchdown in the first half and scored the other touchdown on a running play, garnering over 100 yards in the process. It was the only time in his three years that Hall has been at the controls, and the usually stoic Virginia Tech defense was found to be confused.

And when it came down to brass tacks, with Virginia driving and three points behind on Virginia Tech, what happened? They put in turnover machine Marc Verica, who proceeded to ... throw an interception into triple coverage, ending Virginia's season. Virginia lost to Virginia Tech 17-14, in a game where they had way too many breaks go their way.

To which, I ask -- whaaaa? Exactly what was Al and/or Mike Groh thinking on this? When Vic Hall is in the game, Virginia scores. When Marc Verica is in the game, Virginia turns the ball over. He has thrown 16 interceptions on the year, despite playing in a generally run-happy offense. Are they really stuck off the realness of a Matt Schaub offense? Fortunately, Jameel Sewell and Vic Hall technically have a year of availability left, but will the starch-shirt Groh regime see the writing on the wall? I'm wagering a Congressional Bowl bid they don't.

Charlie Weis' future at ND in jeopardy

from Rakes Of Mallow by Rob
Oh, what a joy it is to be a Notre Dame fan this week. First you hear about Brady Quinn's season ending injury and then you have to listen to the national media discuss the future of Notre Dame football and Charlie Weis. After an embarrassing home loss to 2-8 Syracuse, Charlie Weis' job security is sticky at best. From what I've heard and gathered, I think we may be on the lookout for a new coach if Notre Dame loses it's final regular season game against the Trojans of Southern California. When there's smoke, there's fire, and we haven't heard a peep out of new Irish AD Jack Swarbrick about a public backing of the 4th-year head coach. We've also heard that some of the people who's opinion actually matters (Fr. Jenkins and the Board of Trustees) have not been happy with Charlie since the disastrous 3-9 campaign a year ago. I hate to chime in but I do believe Charlie will be in some big trouble if he drops this game by 10+ points.​
You can't really feel sorry for Charlie. I realize he is an alum and has worked hard to bring in some of the best talent we've had in years, but watching this team struggle over the past two years and hearing way too many stories about the guy's abrasive personality gives me little sympathy for the man. I was a big fan of his and thought he had what it takes to become a legend at Notre Dame, but his inexperience as a head coach and his own arrogance in trying to look like another version of Parcells is ultimately what will do him in. Irish fans should look at the guys that hired Weis (Fr. Jenkins, JAG, and Dr. White) and wonder what the hell they were thinking when their 2004 coaching search brought them to three finalists: Charlie Weis, Tom Clements, and Greg Blanche. Let's say it one more time, "under no circumstances should ND ever consider a first-time head coach for their football program."​

Of course, Charlie has a chance to get all rid of all of this talk with a win tonight, but I just don't see it happening. Should be an interesting couple of weeks ahead of us, that's for sure.​

Is there a way to send Georgia Tech to the ACC Championship game by acclamation?

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-287555510-1227998631.jpg
Virginia Tech 17, Virginia 14 Georgia Tech 45, Georgia 42. Way back in September, Virginia Tech took advantage of three Georgia Tech turnovers to win a game it may not have "deserved" to win, 20-17. So three months later, as Georgia Tech's "quirky" offense rolled up 86 points and 882 yards rushing in consecutive wins over Miami and Georgia, the Hokies had the luxury of just doing what they do; specifically, surviving lackluster offensive performances against the two worst teams in the conference, Duke and Virginia, to wrap up another division championship. Georgia Tech has a better overall record (9-3 to VT's 8-4), will be ranked higher than the Hokies for the third week in a row, just earned the ACC's best non-conference win of the season and, after what the Jackets have done offensively on national television the last two weeks, might constitute an actual draw for the dreaded conference championship next week. The Jackets also beat the Atlantic Division champion, whether it's Boston College or Florida State. For the first time all year, an ACC team looks like it's separated itself from the pack.
But: 20-17 after three turnovers in September. A tiebreaker rule is a tiebreaker rule.
I guess it was always inevitable that the cards would shake out for the Hokies. They were the favorite in the preseason despite possibly crippling attrition; they proceeded to lose to East Carolina in the opener. I thought they were the favorite again in September after surviving tests from Georgia Tech and North Carolina in their first two conference games, then predicted the Hokie stranglehold in mid-October, just before both Tyrod Taylor and Sean Glennon were injured in back-to-back losses to Boston College and Florida State, after which I said their ACC hopes rested on another November miracle. Now, at the end of November, Tech finishes 3-1 for the month, heads to its fourth ACC Championship in five years and I guess I was right like three different times. I mean, you always knew it was going to be Virginia Tech out of the Coastal, right? It's always Virginia Tech.
As for Georgia Tech: The Jackets may have singlehandedly salvaged the ACC's reputation today, and how many hard-luck offenses will take a long look this winter at installing the flexbone after the last two weeks? Paul Johnson's scheme hung 45 on a defense that hadn't allowed more than 17 points to the Jackets in any of their seven straight losses in the series; he looks like the only living Jedi master of one of the most explosive systems in the country. A guy in his position can command an innovator's ransom in consulting fees, if he's into that sort of thing.

Big 12 Undercard Becomes a Simply Sensational Kansas Win

by Chris BurkeFiled under: Kansas, Missouri, Big 12
kansas.jpg
Challenge extended, Oklahoma-Oklahoma State. All eyes are on Stillwater for tonight's gigantic Sooner State showdown, but man oh man, did Kansas and Missouri turn in a spectacular opening act.

For a bit, the Jayhawks looked like they would simply stuff Missouri's powerful offense - opening up a 19-7 first-half lead using some stout defense. But those who have followed the Big 12 all year knew the offenses would eventually start cooking and did they ever. When all was said and done, Kansas had a thrilling 40-37 upset win.

After KU pushed out to a 26-10 lead early in the third quarter, Mizzou finally started cooking with the help of burner Jeremy Maclin and tight end Chase Coffman, who was fighting injury.

Oh right, and Chase Daniel too. The Tigers QB, en route to a four-TD day, hit Maclin, Tommy Saunders and then Coffman for scores - giving Missouri a 30-26 lead.

But the teams were just getting started.

Next Stop on the Brian Kelly Speculation Tour: Notre Dame

by Chas RichFiled under: Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Big East, NCAA FB Rumors, General CFB Insanity
bkelly1.jpg
This week for the Irish fanbase has been one where they and the national media have been intently speculating on the future of Charlie Weis as head coach of Notre Dame. Most of the speculation has not been whether Notre Dame would fire him or not. It has been whether they could afford to.

No one seems to know for sure. His contract has seven more years and no one actually seems to be sure what the buyout could be. It could be $4 million. It could be $15 million.

Of course, never let the fact that no one even knows if Notre Dame can and will be able to get rid of Charlie Weis stop good speculation over who should/will be the next coach. Now that Tennessee has grabbed Lane Kiffen, that leaves Brian Kelly as the "hot" candidate upon which the Irish eyes could be shining.

Border WAR

from Behind enemy lines - A Huskerh8er's view of the world by AJ
Props to my few red-legged KU readers for their team's performance at Arrowhead this afternoon. What started out as just another Mizzou tank job of years gone by, turned into one of the best college football games I've seen this year. Anybody who doesn't think KU will have some sort of say in the Big 12 North next year is an idiot (ie- Husker fans), and that's 100% due to Reesing and the receivers he has coming back.

That little hobbit turned in one of the true great performances I've seen...and even as a fan who hates his guts and the soil he walks on, I can recognize a truly great performance. I'm also pretty proud of my own team, considering they very easily could have packed it up on a cold and snowy day, with their true prize sitting inside the same stadium this time next week.

But regardless, it's a great rivalry, because MOST of us can agree..at least for a short while..the records can go out the window, and it is a thrill to watch two teams who truly hate each other fire every shell they have at each other. Coffman, Meier, Maclin, Sharpe etc...all of these kids battling injury, gutting it out on the field for really what amounts to a game that is completely meaningless sans the bragging rights.

So with that..here's to you KU fan. You've earned your time to crow and you should be proud of your effort. As for you Husker fans who are throwing out kicker smack, "Co-Champions" and other ridiculous amounts of weak propaganda...just remember this:

You had your shot at that "shitty" team in your own stadium, with 85,000 of your own fans. You had history, momentum and a national TV audience on your side. All you had to do was beat a team once...the same way you had since 1978....and yet you couldn't. Not only could you not, but you got gutted like a trout and lost by nearly 6 TD's.

You have earned nothing. Your proxy bashing is humorous to me, in that I used to catch shit from Husker fans about National Titles, Heisman trophies and 63-6 wins over my team. Now I hear from you all about a rivalry loss and a Big 12 North title game appearance that ended a 9 win season. (Something Missouri has only done a handful of times in my lifetime.)

I wish I had a mirror for you people, because you look like idiots.

KU fans, props to you for your win, and good luck in your bowl. Husker fans, see ya at Arrowhead next week wearing your OU or Texas Tech gear.

Best Signs at ESPN College Gameday- Stillwater

from Football Jesus Las Vegas by sportsjesus

Great Turnout at OK State! Cowboy hats off to the guys with the Football Jesus Sign!! and it got on TV twice! keep em coming!
Click Photos for larger Views! Thanks to Joe and the Football Jesus faithful in Stillwater ! Any other great Football Handicappers get thier signs on TV ? More photos coming later, or send em in

Here is the list of the signs I could see on TV :

• Hey Corso -Beer Me!
  • Settle It on the field! Its been settled- Texas 45-35.
  • My High school team can beat TCU and Cincinnatti
  • Payroll: OU> OKC Thunder
  • Tom Gets Married in 37 Days
  • Don’t Do it Tom
  • Scoot ever Corso! You’re blocking my camera Angle
  • I need a Date
  • MY Family is full of sooners , thanks god im adopted
  • Dear Santa, I want to be a man like Gundy
  • Stops wants to be Man too.
  • Sorrry, I Party
  • Why wait for the BCS - Choke now
  • OU leads the nation in BCS losses
  • OU+BCS=LOL
  • The Original Mobile Home ( covered wagon)
  • IM a man Im 21
  • Last time we played #3 they dropped to #12 , sux to be u
  • Every Sooner picks noses
  • Football Is Neat
  • I’m Lou Holtz’d Right now
IF i missed any , let me know

Michael Crabtree Carted Off in Tech Win

by Chris BurkeFiled under: Baylor, Texas Tech, Big 12
crabtree.jpg
Sensational Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree injured his right foot on a reception late in the first half on Saturday against Baylor.
A television replay showed he twisted his right ankle as he landed. He hobbled to the Red Raiders bench and a few minutes later was taken to the locker room on a motorized cart.

Crabtree came out after the second half began with a boot on his right foot and limped along the bench talking with teammates.​
The impact of the injury on Texas Tech's season depends almost entirely on Oklahoma's result at Oklahoma State. If the Sooners win, there would be a three-way tie for the Big 12 North title - and whichever team earns the highest BCS ranking after this week will head to the conference title game. Since Texas Tech sits behind both Oklahoma and Texas in the rankings, and had to rally to beat Baylor, any chance the Raiders have of grabbing that spot is slim.

Should Oklahoma State win, then Texas and Tech would be in a two-way tie - with Tech gaining the spot due to its win over the Longhorns. In that scenario, with Texas Tech having to play against Missouri next week, Crabtree's injury could be a major factor.

Barring an Oklahoma loss, though, Crabtree has until the bowl game to get healthy again.

Bama and Florida, T.C.O.B. in the SEC

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-597524542-1228003507.jpg
Florida 45, Florida State 15Alabama 36, Auburn 0. Even Gary Danielson had to admit the SEC has struggled relative to its reputation, with LSU dropping four straight in-conference and Georgia and South Carolina biting the dust today in convincing fashion to ACC underdogs. At least the bellwethers held up their end of the deal. If you wanted to write a script set up a game of the magnitude of next Saturday's SEC Championship, you couldn't do much better than the Gators and Tide against their overmatched rivals.
Make no mistake: Bama-Florida will be the biggest championship game in any conference in the 16-year history of the format, the closest any of them have come to a winner-take-all semi-final. The only two games I can recall with such obvious national consequences for both teams at the end of a season are Florida-Florida State in 1996 and Michigan-Ohio State in 2006. It's bona fide.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Instant Analysis: UCLA-Arizona State </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
</td> <td width="3" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Matt Zemek
Staff Columnist
Posted Nov 29, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

If Arizona State had any kind of offense, Dennis Erickson’s team would already be headed for a bowl game in 2008. But because ASU’s defense was able to provide plenty of points on Friday night in Tempe against UCLA, the Sun Devils will at least have a chance to make a postseason party of some sort.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">

In one of the most bizarre games college football has ever seen, Arizona State stayed alive in its pursuit of a bowl game by running away from Rick Neuheisel’s Bruins despite a very meager offensive showing. Even though ASU tallied just 101 yards and (technically) just six points, the Devils—despite being smothered by coordinator Dewayne Walker’s UCLA defense—accumulated four touchdowns because their defense had a nose for the pigskin.

Arizona State defensive coordinator Craig Bray rejoiced as his unit produced not one, not two, but three pick-sixes against beleaguered and batted Bruin quarterback Kevin Craft. In addition to those three influential interceptions, the Devils also took a fumble return to the end zone when UCLA receiver Derrick Coleman, who is deaf, understandably assumed that a forward-moving football was an incomplete pass, and not a fumble that flew at an odd angle from Craft’s right arm. While almost everyone else in the ballpark stood around like a statue and assumed the play was over, alert ASU linebacker Paul ‘Unga swooped in to grab the motionless football and run it into the end zone. No whistles blew from the Pac-10 officiating crew, and a few moments later, the home team had its first touchdown of the evening in Tempe. Little could anyone have known that ASU’s defense would score three more touchdowns before the night was through.

No pick-six is insignificant, but two of ASU’s three thefts—by linebackers Travis Goethel and Mike Nixon—were downright pedestrian compared to the consequential catch-and-cruise crusher produced by Sun Devil safety Troy Nolan.

With 9:50 left in the fourth quarter, the Bruins—trailing 17-9 and given a first-and-goal at the ASU 6 on a pass interference penalty—were close to a touchdown that, if followed by a successful two-point try, would have tied the Sun Devils and made life uneasy for the home team. Given that ASU’s offense was AWOL throughout this contest, a 17-all tie—if forged—would have given UCLA a clear advantage heading into the home stretch. Just six more yards, and the Bruins would have a chance to hang a “terrible two” on ASU.

Enter Nolan.

Craft tried to throw a flag route to the left side of the south end zone at Sun Devil Stadium, but his wobbly pass was short and late. Nolan softly tipped the ball away from the UCLA receiver with his right hand, and the ball settled into his mitts about four yards behind the goal line. Because the rest of UCLA’s offensive unit was bunched in the middle of the field, in or near the end zone, Nolan had a clear path along the sideline, and he followed it 100 yards for a touchdown (unofficially, the distance was 104 yards, but college ball—unlike the NFL—caps return distances at 100 yards). In a heartbeat, the Devils had gone from sweating bullets to delivering a dagger into UCLA’s midsection. What could have been a 17-all tie instead became a 24-9 ASU lead. Among the Devils’ four defensive scores, that nifty tip-and-catch combo by Troy Nolan proved to be the most significant statement of the night.

Disregard the fact that UCLA nearly tripled ASU in terms of total yardage. Ignore the fact that the Devils were just 2-of-13 on third downs. Toss aside the meager total of 20 rushing yards compiled by the home team. None of it mattered on a night when Arizona State’s defense scored 28 points, keeping the possessors of the pitchfork alive in the chase for a bowl game. One more day of Devilish defense next week in Tucson against archrival Arizona, and an ASU outfit that was once 2-6 will sneak in the back door to a postseason contest.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script> var premiumFlag = 0; </script> <!--end STORY DISPLAY--> <!--GOOGLE TEST DISPLAY--> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://fimserve.scout.com/?placement=fim_scout_story-page-college-cfn2"></script><script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></script><script>window.google_render_ad();</script><script language="JavaScript1.1" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-fim_scout_js&dt=1228005777653&adsafe=high&oe=utf8&lmt=1227991633&skip=4&num_ads=2&output=js&adtest=off&correlator=1228005777653&channel=fim_scout_story-page-college-cfn%2Cunited-states&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcfn.scout.com%2F2%2F816523.html&ad_type=text&ea=0&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&frm=0&ga_vid=776652468.1228005778&ga_sid=1228005778&ga_hid=1769291600&flash=9.0.124&u_h=768&u_w=1280&u_ah=738&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-480&u_his=1&u_java=true&u_nplug=35&u_nmime=125&dtd=6"></script>

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Instant Analysis: Virginia-Virginia Tech </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
</td> <td width="3" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Matt Zemek
Staff Columnist
Posted Nov 29, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Upstarts from North Carolina and Georgia Tech wanted to knock them off. The old powerhouse from Miami wanted to steal their thunder. Even Duke gave them a battle royale in 2008. But when another regular season ended, an old stand-by defended its ACC Coastal Division title. Yes, the Virginia Tech Hokies earned the right to defend their conference crown.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">

It’s entirely appropriate that Virginia Tech will play for the ACC championship next week in Tampa against Boston College or Florida State (pending the outcome of the BC-Maryland game later today in Chestnut Hill). Frank Beamer’s team, ravaged by injuries and beset by inconsistency at quarterback and placekicker, barely reached the finish line first in a division that—like the ACC at large—has offered one unending parade of mistake-filled and uneven football. Saturday’s three-point triumph over a game but impotent Virginia team provided a perfect case in point.

The simple reason why the Hokies conquered the Cavs was that Virginia, and not Tech, made the last big miscue of this contest. Whereas great offensive shootouts come down to which team can score last, today’s brutal battle in Blacksburg came down to which offense would shoot itself in the foot at the latest possible point in the proceedings. That was the somewhat perverse yet undeniable reality of a rivalry game that, while producing typically spirited and vigorous action, proved to be painfully lacking in precision and polish.

Virginia Tech shouldn’t have allowed this commonwealth collision to come down to the final minutes, because the Hokies reeled off three drives of 13 or 14 plays that penetrated the UVA red zone, and yet scored absolutely nothing. A missed 22-yard field goal by up-and-down kicker Dustin Keys threw one drive down the drain. A Sean Glennon interception stopped another drive in the end zone. On a third foray deep into Cavalier territory, the Hokie braintrust mystifyingly took the ball out of the hands of effective scrambling quarterback Tyrod Taylor and watched “wildcat” running back Greg Boone get stuffed for a four-yard loss on a fourth-and-goal from the 1. At the very least, Tech should have had a nine-point lead in its back pocket entering the home stretch, but because of several implosions, the Hokies enabled the Cavs—always gallant despite their offensive shortcomings—to stay within three points of the lead heading into the final six minutes.

It was at this point that Virginia put an agonizing twist on the old “whoever has the ball last” line of reasoning.

The inspired running of defensive back-turned-wildcat-runner Vic Hall brought Virginia to the Tech 22 with just under four minutes left in regulation. At the very least, it seemed that coach Al Groh’s team would forge a tie and make the Hokies sweat bullets in a Tampa-or-bust overtime filled with pressure.

Instead, the pressure of the moment got to Virginia’s downfield passer, quarterback Marc Verica.

Anemic in his team’s previous loss to Clemson, Verica—on the sidelines for most of the day, due to Groh’s shrewd move to have Hall run the ball from the wildcat formation—was asked to convert a third-and-13 at the Tech 25. If nothing else, Verica had to make sure to avoid a turnover that would enable his team to kick a tying field goal. But in a moment worthy of this sloppy and silly ACC season, Verica couldn’t display ball security. He lobbed a pass into double coverage in the end zone, and Tech’s Dorian Porch picked off the pigskin with 2:15 left, sending Lane Stadium into a frenzy. Despite failing to crack the 17-point mark in each of their past three games, and despite an inability to surpass 23 points since a win over cupcake Western Kentucky on Oct. 4, the Hokies—the princes of parity in the ACC—finally claimed a Coastal crown that no one seemed to want.

Don’t expect a pretty ACC title tilt next week, but the Virginia Tech football family rightly won’t care. As long as they keep winning with their resolute defense and immense willpower, they’ll find themselves back in the Orange Bowl for a second consecutive season.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

BC-Tech in an ACC Title Game Rematch

by Chris BurkeFiled under: Boston College, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech, ACC
bc-vt.jpg
The topsy-turvy, back-and-forth ACC race finally came to an end on Saturday, and we ... are right back where we were at this point last year.

Boston College and Virginia Tech will meet in next week's ACC title game, a rematch of the 2007 championship. The Hokies won last season's version, 30-16.

Both teams needed wins today to claim spots in the ACC finale, and neither disappointed. Well, both nearly disappointed. Hosting a Virginia team in need of a win to become bowl eligible, Virginia Tech nearly provided UVa. that big victory. Virginia Tech rallied from 14-7 down to take a 17-14 lead, but saved that lead only after an end zone interception off Wahoo quarterback Marc Verica.

Boston College also got a tough challenge, with Maryland taking the Eagles down to the wire. BC survived 28-21, though, clinching the ACC Atlantic.

Notre Dame Puts Up a Fight -- Until Kickoff

by Kyle BunchFiled under: Notre Dame, USC, NCAA FB Police Blotter
usc-notredame-240.jpg
Notre Dame came into tonight's matchup against #5 USC at the L.A. Coliseum with nothing to lose. While nobody was bold enough to predict an Irish upset, plenty were predicting that Charlie Weis's team would show some fight against Pete Carroll's Trojans. And they were right -- at least as far as the pregame festivities went.

In a scene worthy of You Got Served (or perhaps Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo), Notre Dame took the field with the zeal you'd expect from a team who's beaten the likes of Washington, San Diego State and Navy, hellbent on showing Southern California who's the man.

The Irish proceeded to interrupt the Trojans' pregame warmups, and the most evenly-matched showdown of the night ensued. Verbal barbs were traded, punches were thrown (but from the looks of things, mostly not landed) and coaches -- and eventually police officers -- had to step in and restrain players on both sides. Fighting extended all the way to midfield, where players from both sides were still trying to get at each other as authorities attempted to separate the two warring factions.

As for the game action, well, through the first half it's fallen vastly short of the pregame festivities. Through two quarters USC leads Notre Dame 24-0.

Montgomery Steps Down at Miami

by Chris BurkeFiled under: Miami (OH), MAC, NCAA FB Coaching
montgomery.jpg
Another FBS head coach spot opened up on Saturday, as Steve Montgomery resigned at Miami University. The RedHawks completed a miserable 2-10 season this week with a home loss to Ohio.
"Shane Montgomery is an extraordinary person who has contributed to our department, university and community in exceptional ways," said Miami-Ohio athletic director Brad Bates. "Ultimately, however, our responsibility to Miami University is to maximize our students' development, and we believe that winning championships facilitates student growth and development in substantial and meaningful ways."​
It's pretty clear from that quote that Montgomery did not have much say in the decision. I guess that's what happens when a program hits the skids for a few seasons - Miami struggled after Montgomery took the RedHawks to a 7-4 mark in 2005. They followed that up with a 2-10 season, then a 6-7 mark (which included a trip to the MAC title game) and this season's stinker.

Montgomery's biggest claim to fame might be helping to develop Ben Roethlisberger while he played in Oxford. He faced heavy expectations, being the head man at the "Cradle of Coaches" and all. It never really worked out, so both parties will move on.

Jackets 45 - Dawgs 42

from Georgia Tech Sports Blog by Jeff
(Photo from the AJC, Brant Sanderlin / bsanderlin@ajc.com)

Obviously a huge day, and a great win. I was at the game, and it was quite the spectacle in person. I'm exhausted from the long day in Athens, but I'll post my thoughts tomorrow.

Enjoy it, Tech fans... It lasts a year, much to the chagrin of your Bulldog friends and coworkers.

Go Jackets!

Mark Sanchez has a strong arm ... but not this strong

Scroll down or click here for the Doc's weekly game day live blog. As if Notre Dame fans following the disaster in L.A. on ESPN's Gamecast weren't going through enough trauma -- they're led to believe Mark Sanchez has defied the laws of physics for an imaginary touchdown, too?
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-440000584-1228014417.jpg
Okay, a 4,813-yard touchdown pass is one thing -- it would land in the Pacific Ocean, but fine. But out-of-bounds for a touchdown? That's just preposterous. Was a 24-yard completion to the ND 18 (which is what the real play-by-play says) too boring, or what?
Seriously, folks, if you want the really amazing statistic on this game as of late in the third quarter, it's this: Notre Dame trails 24-0 and has zero first downs on 17 yards total offense. That is all.

How to lose a Rose Bowl in 700 yards or less

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-621827515-1228018683.jpg
Oregon 65, Oregon State 38. Hey kids, here's a swell plan for submarining your first Rose Bowl bid in over 40 years: Allow 51 points, 694 yards and 10 yards per snap to the opposing offense of your hated rival. Then throw them a couple interceptions they can return for touchdowns while you're at it. Voîla! You've blown your shot at the Rose Bowl.
The Beavers ranked 13th in the country and second in the Pac-10 to USC in total defense coming into tonight, and got gashed like they were Portland State or something. Oregon completed five passes of at least 30 yards and had two 100-yard rushers; Jeremiah Johnson ripped off 219 at 14.6 per carry, and Jeremiah Masoli averaged 16 yards per attempt -- not per completion (he averaged 25 per completion) but per attempt. If anything was going to knock the Beavers off-track, I would have guessed it would be the absence of Jacquizz Rodgers, not of every member of the defense. Just when everyone was actually beginning to believe in those scrappy kids and their sad little beards.
So welcome back, USC, to your annual date with the Rose Bowl, barring the most unlikely set of events yet in the now-long history of unlikely events at the top of the BCS. Ho hum. And the Trojans were so looking forward to New Year's in Tempe or New Orleans. Can't a monolithic juggernaut catch a break every now and then?

Oregon Win Opens Up a BCS At-Large Slot for Somebody, but Who?

by Mark HastyFiled under: Boise State, Ohio State, Oregon, Oregon State, Penn State, USC, BCS, Bowl Games
jeremiah-johnson-240-sm.jpg
With their 65-38 win over the Oregon State Beavers tonight, the Oregon Ducks became heroes to a lot of people in some far-flung places. Boise, Idaho is one of those places, as well as Columbus, Ohio, and a lot of other locales in Big Ten country.

The Ducks left little doubt about who was the better team tonight, rolling up almost 700 yards of offense. Two guys named Jeremiah were at the center of it all. Running back Jeremiah Johnson ran for over 200 yards, while quarterback Jeremiah Masoli passed for 277 more, including three touchdowns. Not even 13 penalties against them could slow down the Ducks.

The loss ends Oregon State's hopes of making it to the Rose Bowl. That's unfortunate. Beaver quarterback Lyle Moevao was as brilliant tonight as he has been all season long, passing for five touchdowns against two interceptions. Throw in two lost fumbles and a Duck offense playing completely over the moon and it's not hard to figure out how Oregon wound up winning so convincingly.

Now Southern Cal will head to the Rose Bowl to face Penn State in a matchup that absolutely no one outside of LA or State College will be looking forward to. Oh, and there's a BCS at-large slot open now.

USC Proves That Notre Dame Is Horrid

by Chris BurkeFiled under: Notre Dame, USC, Pac 10, NCAA FB Coaching
trojans.jpg
I will say this, and then let you make your own judgment about the state of Notre Dame's program following a 38-3 loss at Southern Cal: USC would have won by less points than it did had the Irish not thrown a single pass.

How is that possible? Follow me on this pathetic journey: Jimmy Clausen completed 11 of his 22 passes for 41 yards. He (obviously) threw no touchdown passes. He threw two interceptions.

Those two interceptions led to seven USC points - Joe McKnight rumbled 55 yards for a touchdown after Clausen's second pick. On the Irish's lone scoring drive, a nine-play march that led to a field goal, Clausen completed exactly zero passes - Notre Dame moved exclusively on James Aldridge runs.

So do that math. Notre Dame would have, in theory, put up the same three points minus any passing. And USC may well have scored seven less.

Whether you buy into that math or not, there is no debating that Notre Dame's offense was putrid on Saturday night.

65-38 Post Game Open Thread

from Addicted To Quack by jtlight
It was one of the best offensive performances we've ever seen. It was the most points ever given up by an OSU team, even in their worst years. It was the most yards ever compiled in an Oregon game.
And all this happened in Reser Stadium, when OSU was looking for its first Rose Bowl birth in over 40 years.
This was a great night. Great for Patrick Chung, Nick Reed, Jeremiah Johnson, and many, many others.
So, chatter here, celebrate here, and let's here it for a team that's had it's ups and downs, but came through when it mattered most.
GO DUCKS!
P.S. Enjoy El Paso or Las Vegas rodents.
via photos.oregonlive.com

About that season opener in Stillwater next year

from Georgia Sports Blog by Paul Westerdawg
<center>
defense+dannelle+ellerbe+sacks+bobby+reid+of+osu.jpg

Image by Jim Hipple</center>
Preface: I'll have the posts about the GT game up Sunday afternoon. I'm giving myself a day to cool off

Not sure if you saw the Big 12 South game tonight or not, but Oklahoma State's offense is ridiculously good. They put up 41 points and 452 yards of offense against a strong Oklahoma Sooner squad. Granted, the Cowboy defense couldn't stop a red rover game, but their O is amazing.

According to the O-State Illustrated Depth Chart, the Cowboys return 8 starters on offense for 2009 including all the critical skill positions. They only lose their tight end and two interior offensive linemen. Defensively, they lose most of their secondary and both starting defensive tackles.

In other words, Mark Richt has to get our defensive woes figured out at a DNA-level pretty quickly because things don't get easier next year.

The 2008 Schedule never actually ended up being as tough top to bottom as people thought it would. Yes, UF and Bama are world beaters, and we just got beat by Tech. But we only played
three teams that will finish the season ranked. Plus, we faced the worst LSU, Auburn, Tennessee and Arizona State teams in a decade or more each. It could've been much worse.

Lastly, one positive note about opening the season against Ok State. Our overachiever seasons under Richt have come in years where the team has started with a strong or heavily hyped opener. Our underachiever teams have started with cupcakes.
  • Year: Opening Team = Record
    2001: vs. Ark State = 8-4 season (underachieved)
    2002: vs. Clemson = 13-1 season
    2003: at Clemson = 11-3 season
    2004: vs. GSU = 10-2 (underachieved)
    2005: vs. Boise (hyped) = 10-3
    2006: vs. Western Kentucky = 9-4 (underachieved)
    2007: vs. Oklahoma State = 11-2
    2008: vs. GSU = 9-3 (underachieved)
Maybe starting with a strong team next year will be one more reason for Richt to take a long hard look at everything.

PWD

Suspended in mid-air with the Big 12 South, waiting for the crash

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-920440234-1228024338.jpg
Oklahoma 61, Oklahoma State 41. The sheer number of points is a little surprising, but considering the expectations against a top-15 team, a high-scoring, double-digit win is about what we expected from Oklahoma. I don't think anything has changed about what anyone knows or thinks about the Sooners overall, other than the addition of another strong win to their resumé. In-depth parsing of the relative merits of Texas and Oklahoma will follow in the a.m., but a few immediate thoughts on the heels of OU's final argument tonight:
1. It's a three-way tie, not two, among teams that finished 1-1 against each other. If the BCS is the standard -- that's the Big 12's decision, not mine -- then each team has to be judged on its entire body of work. That's 12 games, not two, and any argument should account for all of them.
2. I'm still not sure Texas is better off with Oklahoma's win, unless the Sooners go on to lose the Big 12 Championship. It's academic now, but the Longhorns probably had a better chance of holding on to the No. 2 spot in the BCS if Oklahoma State had won and Texas Tech advanced to the conference title game; despite the head-to-head thing -- which Longhorn partisans could conveniently forget if the argument was suddenly turned on them in a two-way competition with Tech, I'm sure -- the Raiders are too far back in the BCS to make a run at Texas, even as conference champion. And if they can't be bounced from No. 2, why would the Horns want the risk of a loss? Nebraska in '96, Kansas State in '98, Oklahoma in 2003 and Missouri last year all lost certain mythical championship bids by losing as a big favorite (Missouri excepted) in the Big 12 Championship. Now Texas is forced to either beat Missouri if it gets the nod or root for like mad for the Tigers against OU, instead of sitting comfortably at home with an unassailable lead in the polls.
3. Oklahoma has scored 60 points on four straight opponents, two of them (Texas Tech and Oklahoma State) ranked in the top 15 and another (Nebraska) that finished with eight wins. The Sooners scored on eight straight possessions against Oklahoma State, seven straight possessions against Texas Tech, 8 of 11 against Texas A&M, and 9 of 11 against Nebraska. OU is basically mediocre on defense and from another planet on offense; they're scoring touchdowns almost 80 percent of the time and been virtually impossible to stop over the last month.

4. Texas' pass defense has left something to be desired, but beginning with Oklahoma, the Longhorns have held its last seven opponents at least a touchdown below their season average in points.

5. One of these teams is getting screwed. Whatever method you use to separate them is only because of an extremely flawed system that forces inscrutable parsing of equally deserving teams that have no business being excluded in favor of the other. This extends to USC, Penn State, Texas Tech and Utah. The necessity of this argument is very stupid.
But we have no choice. More in the morning, when I try to determine whether the Horns or Sooners should unfairly screwed by this foolishness.

Should Boise State be in the BCS?

from Fanblogs.com by Ben Prather
First of all, there are ten BCS spots so it would seem that the top 10 in the BCS should be in a BCS bowl. Boise State will be in the top 10, so they should be in a BCS Bowl.
The talk last year about teams from conferences like the WAC and MWC needing to soften their schedule to Hawaii like levels to improve their chances of an undefeated season and a BCS berth are silenced. Two undefeated teams, Boise State and Ball State, are likely to miss the BCS this year because a team with a more difficult schedule sits above them.
TCU will become the first team from outside the big 6 to qualify for an at large spot with a loss, and they did it with two losses. They would certainly have been ahead of Ball State with another win, showing even in these conferences differences in schedule can count for more than a single loss in the BCS.
Utah will be higher than Boise State in the BCS and earn the single guaranteed spot. The SEC champion will be in the NCG, and the loser of that game will be in the Sugar Bowl. Either Texas or Oklahoma will play Missouri next week for a chance at the NCG while the other waits to see if they will get an upgrade from the Fiesta Bowl, which would then go to Missouri. Virginia Tech will play Boston College for an Orange Bowl spot where they will play Cincinnati.
With a win over UCLA, USC would earn a Rose Bowl berth against Penn State. With a loss Oregon State would win the tie breaker (Oregon would be eliminated when record vs teams with as many conference wins as California are examined, and Oregon State wins the two way tie with USC), but USC's perception would be greatly tarnished with the loss. For now lets assume they win.
Utah looks set for the Fiesta Bowl. This leaves the Sugar Bowl with a choice between Boise State and Ohio State. A precedent will be set.
Never before had a BCS Bowl been forced to choose to select between a team outside the Big 6 and a lower ranked historical power. Every time a lower ranked team has been selected it has involved a historical tie in for a bowl or Notre Dame. Neither of those would be in play this time, though the assumption has always been that the outsider would draw the short lot. This year the BCS will be forced to make that choice.
Make up your mind. Is the BCS system good enough to use as a conference tie breaker and seed the National Championship game, or is it an arbitrary ranking imposed on college football that should be ignored? If the BCS ignores it in this case, what signal does that send?
Perhaps Boise State did not play the likes of USC. One could argue, neither did Ohio State. I would like to see Penn State vs Oregon.
And before you try to use Hawaii against them, remember Boise State has been here before and won. Boise State sold their tickets to the Fiesta Bowl, and would sell their share again. They travel VERY well, often setting attendance records at opponents stadiums in their conference games. And that is for the regular season. Does anyone question whether the 2007 Fiesta Bowl (after 2006) got higher TV ratings than this years Orange Bowl will get?
Does anyone outside of the Buckeye State want to see Ohio State play a third SEC team in as many years? Isn't it time to let someone else take a shot? Isn't it time Boise State learned what SEC football was like? Or maybe it is time for the East coast to learn what Boise State football is all about.
And if USC loses to UCLA, and it is a three way tie for an at large spot? Does that not diminish both USC and Ohio State? If USC can't beat a team thats not going to a Bowl, do they deserve a spot in a premier bowl? How do you let Oregon State, Cincinnati and Virginia Tech or Boston college in and leave out a top ten undefeated conference champion?
If a conference champion as low as #20 (Pittsbugh in 2004) can get into one of the four premier bowls, certainly a conference champion in the top 10 should get into one of the five premier bowls.
Boise State should be in a BCS bowl this year.

Vote Texas Tech: The More Chaos, the Better!

from Double-T Nation by djollie111
So, we find ourselves frying our brains and everybody’s arguing an unwinnable argument on who should get the trip to the Big 12 Championship game. Well, voters, now is your chance to wreak ABSOLUTE HAVOC on the system all Americans have loved to hate. Vote Texas Tech.
You ask, “Why should I vote for Texas Tech?” My answer: Why the hell not? If anything, to confuse the hell out of everybody and completely blow up this farce we use to determine the mythical championship team. ESPN deal be darned – the people want CHANGE, right?
Secondly, aren’t you tired of all the whining from the Longhorns and Sooners about how YOU should vote? What do you do when you have two kids fighting over the same toy? You take it away from both and give it to the kid across the room. You’re gonna hear the nagging and whining from somebody, so why not ignore both of the squeaky wheels and give a little grease to the wheel that came from the discount parts shop but still got you there?
What, you want like numbers and stuff? Here’s a number for you – 1. One loss is what all three of these teams have. You wouldn’t have any reason to feel guilty. 11-1 is 11-1 is 11-1. Head-to-head is completely useless because you’ll just be turning yourself in circles like Brooke Burke - Mmmmm…I mean…what was I saying? Oh yes, football, chaos, and such.
Another factoid – the best common opponent not including the top 3 – Oklahoma State. While all three won against OSU, Texas Tech was the only team to blow out the ‘Pokes in a 56-20 win. Texas: 28-24. UofO : 61-41. As any Sooner will tell you, margin of victory matters, and last I checked 36>20>4.
Another number – 88. The number of seconds Texas led Texas Tech on November 1. I’m sure you’ve all heard it was a last-second fluke that was the Longhorn’s undoing when, in reality, it was an awful first half. How many opportunities did they have to stop the Red Raiders on that final drive?
So, my dear voter, I ask you: Do you really want to see OU blow another BCS bowl game? Do you really want to give the athletics department at UT even more money? Like the American people wanted for the White House, we need a new, fresh face for college football, and that face looks like Mike Leach.
WHY NOT?

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]The Texas vs. Oklahoma Debate

Who Deserves It?
[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak

For right or wrong, for all intents and purposes, Texas Tech isn't in the three-way argument for the Big 12 South title after getting blasted by Oklahoma. So now, to compare apples to oranges, or BCS Championship games to Fiestas, here are five reasons why each belongs in the Big 12 title game.

[/SIZE][/FONT]The 5 Reasons Oklahoma Should Be In The Big 12 Championship ...

5. The Hot Team Theory
The Big 12 has to look at the potential national title matchup and ask itself which team might really be better equipped to win. Texas might be playing extremely well, but no one's hotter in all three phases than Florida. With all due respect to Alabama, the Gators are the heavy favorites to win the SEC Championship and go to Miami to play for the national championship. Texas is a more complete team than OU, and it could give Florida a hard time, but Oklahoma has the better equipped team to win in an inevitable shootout. Florida is going to put up 45 points on the board against any team it plays in Miami. If you're the Big 12, would you rather have Texas or Oklahoma in a fast-break game? Don't scoff at this notion. It hasn't been unheard of for a conference to break a tie by choosing the team with the seemingly best chance of winning a big game. The Big Ten did this in 1973 when it chose Ohio State over Michigan to play in the Rose Bowl, after the two tied 10-10, because Wolverine QB Dennis Franklin suffered an injury. (BTW, the Buckeyes went on to blast USC 42-21).

4. The Texas Tech Factor
Forget the dog-chase-tail logic that led to the tie-breaker discussion in the first place because this is being broken down by Oklahoma vs. Texas by the pollsters, and they don't really care that Texas lost to Texas Tech. OU loses that argument because it keeps coming back to the Red River Rivalry. However, the pollsters do care that Oklahoma obliterated a Red Raider team that was coming in on a roll. If you beat the No. 2 team in the country 65-21, you've earned your style points for the rest of the year. Considering the circumstances, and the ranking, it could be argued that it was the most impressive victory of the year by anyone in college football.

3. The Non-Conference Games
Everyone has a few duds to blow off, but don't blame OU for getting Washington when it turned horrendous. Remember, the Husky team OU faced still had Jake Locker and was coming off the controversial last-second, celebration penalty loss to BYU. OU went to Seattle and won in a walk, and it also beat Cincinnati, who'd end up winning the Big East title, by 26, and it blowout a strong TCU team 35-10. When all is said and done, the best Texas non-conference victory this year came against Rice. Fine, maybe it was Arkansas, but OU's wins over Cincinnati and TCU were far more impressive.

2. Oklahoma State
It has sort of been washed aside, but Texas needed everything in the bag to get by Oklahoma State at home in a 28-24 win. The Cowboys are certainly good, but Texas had them in its house and struggled to come up with the victory. It was OSU's second road game in three weeks, with the other coming against Missouri. On the flip side, the Cowboys had two weeks off to rest up and prepare for the home date against Oklahoma, and while they played well offensively, they still got ripped up by 20. All the pressure was on OU in the rivalry game, and it came through.

1. The Offense Really Is Unstoppable
Who scores 312 points in a five-game span? On this run, the Sooners have hit the 60-point mark in four straight games, and scored 58 against Kansas State, and have made it look easy. The offensive line, possibly the best in the Bob Stoops era, is giving Sam Bradford ten days to throw, and Bradford is making every throw and every big play. 674 yards against Kansas. 653 against Texas A&M. 625 against Texas Tech. 592 against Cincinnati. 436 against TCU. The Sooners are putting up pinball numbers against some not-that-bad defenses. They're making it look like a scrimmage.

The 5 Reasons Texas Should Be In The Big 12 Championship ...

5. Oklahoma 57 ... Chattanooga 2
If you take the Chattanooga game out of the mix, Oklahoma played a tougher schedule than Texas. But you can't do that. When we're splitting hairs, every little thing counts; just ask the unbeaten 2004 Auburn team that got left out of the national title game partly because it played D-IAA Citadel. Texas will finish with the third toughest schedule in America, while Oklahoma will be around the 20s.

4. Margin Of Victory
Take away that ridiculous OU win over Chattanooga, one of the nation's worst FCS teams, and Texas and Oklahoma actually have almost the same margin of victory. Outside of the Chattanooga win, Oklahoma's average margin of victory is 26 points per game. Texas, over the 12-game season, averages out to a margin of victory of 25.5 points per game. Basically, Texas is blowing out teams just as impressively as Oklahoma, but it's just not doing it with the same bells and whistles.

3. Scoring Defense
Oh sure, the offense gets the chicks, but if you're going to be impressed by the Oklahoma Sooner juggernaut of an attack, then give the same credit to a Texas defense that was the best in the Big 12 by far when it came to the fewest points allowed. Missouri was second in the Big 12 in points allowed, giving up 296, while Texas allowed just 223.

2. The Texas Tech Loss
Lost in the finish of that game was how Texas showed tremendous pluck by getting back in it in the first place. OU got the Red Raiders at home, while Texas had to go to Lubbock. It took the greatest play in the biggest game in the history of Texas Tech football, with a perfect play made by a first round-caliber receiver, to beat the Longhorns with one second to play. Yeah, yeah, yeah, ifs and buts, but if
Blake Gideon had been able to hold on to a sure interception with 11 seconds to play, we wouldn't be having this discussion and we'd be breaking down No. 1 Texas vs. Missouri for the Big 12 title game. One drop and one second. That's the margin we're talking about here between a possible national championship and a BCS game with the hopes of finishing No. 2 in the final polls.

1. Texas 45 ... Oklahoma 35
There's just no getting around it. It's not like it was a fluke, and it's not like Sam Bradford and the Sooners had an off day. The OU offense rolled early, but the defense and special teams struggled in the clutch while the vaunted, supposedly unstoppable, attack scored seven points over the final 26:45. In the end, Texas won by ten points. Double digits. It's obvious, but it bears repeating. If we really are just comparing the two teams, then Texas has the slam-dunk, iron-clad winning argument. It beat Oklahoma. Oklahoma didn't beat Texas. That means the Longhorns might be sitting at home and watching two teams it beat by a combined score of 101 to 67.

GameDay Signs - Stillwater, Oklahoma

from CollegeGameBalls: College Football at its Finest by cgb
Bedlam on the field, hilarity at GameDay. Here are the funniest signs from Oklahoma State versus Oklahoma.

The phrase “I’m Lou Holtz’d” will replace “cocked”, “smashed” and “hammered” in my lexicon.

Bradford is a fluffer. Wow that is dicked up.

Extremely witty, The Sooner Schooner is “The Original Mobile Home”.

Notre Dame has NBC, but Oklahoma State has T. Boone Pickens.

Haha

That’s Wade Boggs requesting beer number 38.

I think the gist of this sign is that Oklahoma has sucked it up BCS games as of late. Unfortunaltely, they are still nasty in the regular season.

Pistol Pete is a man!

OU overtakes Texas in first computer poll

from Bevo Beat
Oklahoma has jumped Texas in the first of the six BCS computer rankings to be made public. Jeff Sagarin’s ratings for USA Today put Oklahoma at No. 1 and Texas at No. 2. A week ago, Texas was first and Oklahoma was fourth in the Sagarin rankings.
Since then, Oklahoma handled Oklahoma State, which Sagarin now rates as the 12th best team, and Texas blew out Texas A&M, ranked 91st by Sagarin.
The remaining five computer rankings usually aren’t made public until the BCS standings are released. That’ll come about 3:15 p.m. today.

Decided Schematic Advantage

from Conquest Chronicles by DC Trojan
I spent more than a few plays last night bitching about the strange offensive play-calling. Either it was more obtuse than usual, or the echoes of the 2007 UCLA game weren't my imagination and the coaches were trying to avoid entirely eviscerating the opposition.
On offense.
The SC defense gave up four 1st downs to Notre Dame, the first of which came at the death of the third quarter, and the fourth of which was a late present from Malik Jackson's personal foul (which he followed up by getting himself ejected - learn a lesson from that, young man!)
If you take a look at the summary stats for the game, you can understand why some portion of the Notre Dame fanbase would like to seek their decided schematic advantage elsewhere:
<table style="text-align: left; height: 246px;" border="0" width="276"> <tbody> <tr> <td>
</td> <td style="text-align: center;">Notre Dame</td> <td style="text-align: center;">USC</td> </tr> <tr> <td>First Downs</td> <td style="text-align: center;">4</td> <td style="text-align: center;">22</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Total Yards</td> <td style="text-align: center;">91</td> <td style="text-align: center;">449</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Passing</td> <td style="text-align: center;">41</td> <td style="text-align: center;">274</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Running
</td> <td style="text-align: center;">50</td> <td style="text-align: center;">175</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Penalties</td> <td style="text-align: center;">2 - 22</td> <td style="text-align: center;">8 - 80</td> </tr> <tr> <td>3rd Down</td> <td style="text-align: center;">2 - 11</td> <td style="text-align: center;">5 - 14</td> </tr> <tr> <td>4th Down</td> <td style="text-align: center;">0 - 1</td> <td style="text-align: center;">0-1</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Turnovers</td> <td style="text-align: center;">3</td> <td style="text-align: center;">3</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Possession</td> <td style="text-align: center;">25:59</td> <td style="text-align: center;">34:01</td> </tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> Next time I complain about SC under-achieving on offense, I'll take a look at this.
Surely this has to be testing the patience of the Irish fans; this has been a good rivalry where even most streaks weren't built on blowouts and beatdowns. I may live to regret this post when Notre Dame lays a fifth consecutive beatdown under Brian Kelly, of course.

Texas Tech Sunay Morning Notes - One of These Teams Is Getting Screwed Edition

from Double-T Nation by Seth C
2008_Big_12_South_Championship_medium.jpeg
DTNblackraider174-tiny.gif
Double-T Nation News:
Whenever you miss a couple of days you tend to miss a lot. Texas Tech has no chance of making it to the Big 12 Championship Game and despite having the exact same record as OU and UT. After Oklahoma's win last night, they should pull even with UT in the computers and the voters will continue to vote like they did last week. Voters tend to remember the recent and OU dispatched a very good OSU team while UT did what they should have done against the Aggies. By the time OU dispatches with Missouri there will be little doubt in my mind as to who has the best team in the Big 12. Yes, it would be absolute chaos if Texas Tech did go to the Big 12 Championship team, but had this been any other season, where another team picked up a 2nd loss, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. Dr. Saturday's Matt Hinton had this to say and I think it sums up how I feel as well:
One of these teams is getting screwed. Whatever method you use to separate them is only because of an extremely flawed system that forces inscrutable parsing of equally deserving teams that have no business being excluded in favor of the other. This extends to USC, Penn State, Texas Tech and Utah. The necessity of this argument is very stupid.​
It sucks.
I'm just going to bring you the headlines of quite a few things as I'm still trying to get my feet under me and I think I may have caught some sort of stomach bug while traveling.
DTNblackraider174-tiny.gif
Texas Tech Football:
If anything, yesterday's win shows Texas Tech fans that there is some quality depth and if Texas Tech is going to continue to improve, sometime the 2nd and 3rd team guys have got to step it up. Yesterday, the following players missed time: Michael Crabtree, L.A. Reed, Daniel Charbonnet, Rajon Henley, and Eric Morris. There were probably others, but off the top of my head, all of these guys missed time and that means that someone had to step up and they did.
There's something to be said for that. I think if there's one thing that Mike Leach has done, it's improve the talent on the field between 1st team and 2nd team guys.
LAJ's Don Williams recaps yesterday's game and Captain Leach sounds like he's not conflicted about the play in both halves in the very least:
"I don’t have anything good to say about the first half,’’ Tech coach Mike Leach said, "and I don’t have anything bad to say about the second half, and I really didn’t see much in between. You had the first half, which was pitiful, and you had the second half, which was impressive.’’​
And defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill said that he changed the gameplan in the 2nd half because the Texas Tech defense was too hesitant:
Defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill said he put a spy on Griffin in the first half, but could see it wasn’t working. "I thought it made us hesitate,’’ he said. "Then in the second half, we took the spy off. We just said, ‘OK, let’s go four-man rush.’ That’s when McKinner and them took over and did a good job.’’​
LAJ's Don Williams has some good quotes from all of the seniors about the state of the program:
"I think the program has continued to progress," [Sam] Harrell said recently. "The team has continued to improve. Coach is starting to get better and better players each year, it seems like. I think a lot of people thought we could be pretty special. Others kind of doubted that, but I think he’s set the foundation."​
LAJ's Don Williams and Adam Zuvanich compile the Red Raiders Football Notebook has Leach saying that Michael Crabtree is doing "fabulous", Captain Leach politicking and would like for you to vote for the Red Raiders because of a superior graduation rate, more on the banged up secondary, and Ruffin McNeill being excited about the seniors:
Tech defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill isn’t shy about showing his emotions - or affection for his players. Toward the end of the Saturday’s game, he had an extended embrace with sophomore linebacker Brian Duncan on the sideline, after Duncan had made an interception to set up the game-winning score. When asked about the moment after the game, McNeill had to pause for about 15 seconds while gathering himself.
"The seniors are special in my book, every group, and the biggest thing I wanted them to go out was with a win," said McNeill, his voice quivering. "That was important to me."
Like he usually does, McNeill told Darcel McBath and McKinner Dixon that he loved them as they left the postgame interview room. He later said, "I love all these boys."
LAJ's Adam Zuvanich writes about all of the players who stepped up because of player injuries while Don Williams writes about the impressive Robert Griffin.
<center>
storyend_dingbat.gif
</center> FWST's Dwain Price and DMN's Brandon George each have game stories.

Notre Dame "Not That Far Away"

from Boiled Sports by J Money

After UND got predictably hammered by USC on Saturday night, that was perhaps my favorite theme from a couple of the Domers. They're "not that far away." From what, we're not sure. From detonating the football program?

"Guys," said quarterback Jimmy Clausen, "we're not that far away."

"I really don't think we're that far away," echoed defensive end Pat Kuntz.

When a team is spouting meaningless comments like this and doing it in the glassy-eyed way that they must be doing it... well, your ship is sunk. The Notre Dame football program is a joke... and it's just wonderful to see. Sure, they've won more games this year than last, but you could argue the program has gone backwards.

This was supposed to be the year they made a HUGE step forward -- not a step to .500. Clausen is a sophomore, Golden Tate is supposed to be Superman, and the Domers had the 107th toughest schedule in the nation. Oh, and there's always that "decided schematic advantage."

If you haven't heard this already, that advantage led the Domers to not have a first down until the last play of the third quarter last night. They didn't cross the 50 until the fourth quarter. They had less than 100 yards of total offense. Pickles was 11 of 22 for 41 yards and two INTs. Read that one again. Yikes. But they're "not that far away." The fact that Clausen could say that to reporters after a stat line like that is just more evidence that Notre Dame football is a big, smelly mess. Does Jimmy actually believe that?

And what says The Big Manatee about this performance?

"I think one of the biggest aspects of today was whether we're going to play with passion and emotion," Weis said. "From the beginning of the game to the end of the game, we played with passion and emotion.

"Today, unlike last year (a 38-0 loss), when our guys got a little intimidated, I thought that wasn't the case at all here today."

No, your guys looked courageous.

I can't wait to go back to the archives and find all the arrogant posts by ND blogs about how Charlie was going to make us all pay for laughing... and how Charlie has a master plan, etc. Ha! Fat Charlie is a middling offensive coordinator when he has the right personnel. When he has to evaluate or develop talent, he's terrible. He's 9-15 since 2006. And he's probably out of a job.

Box Scorin': Auburn and Mississippi State pine for the wide-open days of 3 to 2

Weird, wild and prolific stats from the weekend's action.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-713783079-1228057489.jpg
Teams from the ACC won three of four Saturday against bowl-bound teams from the SEC.
Twelve of Auburn's 13 offensive possessions ended in a punt or fumble in the Tigers' 36-0 humiliation at Alabama, and the one that didn't ended with the clock running out on the first half. Auburn went three-and-out (or worse, if it turned it over first) nine times.
Mississippi State was held to 37 yards total offense in the Bulldogs' embarrassing, coach-killing, 45-0 loss to Ole Miss on Friday, finishing with –51 yards rushing, by far the worst effort in school history. Seven different Rebels (including Jerrell Powe!) were credited with 10 sacks for a combined 97 yards in MSU losses.
On Friday, Eastern Michigan and Central Michigan combined for 108 points, 1,171 yards and 63 first downs in EMU's 56-52 upset. The Eagles' Andy Schmitt hit 58 of 80 passes, setting an NCAA record for single-game completions, and Tyler Jones tied a I-A record with 23 receptions (Jerry Rice holds the all-division record with 24 catches for Mississippi Valley State in 1983).
It was the Eagles' second straight upset over the Chippewas as a double-digit underdog, their first game this decade with 600 yards total offense against a I-A defense and their last game with Jeff Genyk as head coach after five losing seasons. The coach went out in, well, if not glory, then definitely a blaze of something.
Tennessee rolled up over 200 yards rushing for the second week in a row and passed only eight times in a 28-10 win over Kentucky, giving the Vols more rushing yards in their last two wins (432) than in their first six SEC games combined (430).
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-537019616-1228057450.jpg
Once high-flying New Mexico State finished with 156 yards total offense, –7 rushing, and did not score on offense in a 47-2 loss to lowly Utah State. USU's Ben Calderwood had three of his team's six sacks, sending off coach Brent Guy with a win in his final game in Logan; it's probably also the last game for NMSU boss Hal Mumme, who wins the award for understatement of the week: "It was a pathetic effort on offense."
Florida Atlantic and Florida International combined for 56 points in the fourth quarter, including two FAU touchdowns in the final 2:08 to force overtime, where the Owls would score and hold FIU to win, 57-50. Between them, quarterbacks Rusty Smith and Paul McCall passed 98 times for 789 yards and nine touchdowns.
Central Florida was shut out at home by UAB, 15-0, the Blazers' first shut out win in 10 years of Conference USA play. The loss leaves the Knights dead last nationally in total offense and last in C-USA in scoring at 16.6 points per game.
Houston and Rice combined for 1,225 yards, 98 points and 57 first downs in the Rice's 56-42 win, clinching an unlikely share of the C-USA West title along with Tulsa for the Owls. Three different players combined for 11 touchdown passes and four different receivers went over 100 yards. Rice's James Casey and Houston's L.J. Castille caught three touchdown passes apiece from Chase Clement and Case Keenum, and Casey added passing and rushing touchdowns. If they let him return kicks, he could have scored for the cycle.
Boise State had 246 yards rushing and 248 yards passing in its 61-10 blowout of Fresno State.
East Carolina scored on each of its first eight possessions in a 53-21 win over UTEP.
Syracuse had twice as many punts, penalties, turnovers and sacks (16) as first downs (8) in its loss to Cincinnati in Greg Robinson's final game as Orange coach. 'Cuse quarterback Cameron Dantley completed 6 of 23 passes (26.1 percent) and was sacked three times.

Sunday Hangover: Texas? Oklahoma? Big 12 South Is Season's Biggest Winner

by Ray HollomanFiled under: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, BCS, Big 12
83790763.jpg
Miss any of Saturday's action? Get the storylines and implications every Sunday morning with a shot of humor, two of vermouth and a pot full of what's suspected to be either coffee or the pureed remnants of the Georgia's hype.

And so, like any good championship fight, after 12 rounds of haymakers in helmets and point totals higher than stock market losses, we turn to the scorecards.

Three Big 12 South teams needed a win in Week 14 to keep their title hopes alive, and unlike Plaxico Burress, this trio managed not to shoot themselves in the thigh.

There's Oklahoma, which scores in the 60s more than Tiger Woods. There's Texas, which slowed the Sooners on a neutral field and held Oklahoma to an Auburn-like moment of 35 points. And then there's Texas Tech, the unlikely team led by the kooky coach with permanent bed-head that shocked the No. 2 Longhorns in Lubbock before becoming road kill in Norman, Okla.

And after a series of tiebreakers including head-to-head, record against lower-ranked division teams, and, we think, a swimsuit competition, this is what we come to: A knot tied so inexorably tied MacGyver couldn't untangle it with a blowtorch.

But the question is, do we even want to?

Weis Watch: The end may take longer than we thought. But surely, this must be the end.

In the process of pounding the pavement for a real number on Charlie Weis' much-disputed buyout before Saturday's disaster at USC, Michael Rothstein of the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette was considering Weis' "signature game," Notre Dame's best performance under the big man since 2005. He came up with this:
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a3MU16fpue4&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
Weis thought he had USC beat, and it's been basically downhill since the officials put time back on the clock following Matt Leinart's scramble. From that game to the latest offensive implosion in the Coliseum, in fact, the Irish look like they've regressed well beyond the point of no return. They look like San Jose State. Even with twice the wins, ND ends 2008 in exactly the same place as 2007 -- worse, in fact, since extreme youth and the two-game win streak at the end of the '07 debacle at least offered some promise for the future. Now the future is here, and it's even worse. Lose-to-Syracuse, three-quarters-to-pick-up-a-first-down worse.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-159983882-1228062938.jpg
The chorus is as loud this morning as it could be: Jeff Carroll, who said last week in the hometown South Bend Tribune that Weis should not return if the Irish lost to USC, is playing both advocate -- arguing that the program's "honor" is in greater jeopardy if it keeps Weis -- and disgusted critic, wondering what happened to Notre Dame's fight after kickoff. In the Chicago Tribune Rick Morrissey says Weis has to go. Neil Hayes in the Chicago Sun-Times remembers Weis' "decided schematic advantage" when he descended from the Patriots, and wonders four years later, what, exactly, are the Irish good at? All of them, along with everyone else with a forum the last two weeks, assumes Weis will probably be fired if the mysterious buyout doesn't pose too large a hurdle.
But there was no urgency after the debacle from Irish AD Jack Swarbrick, who's not even four months into the job and is already facing the defining decision of his career. Swarbrick "assumes" he'll meet with Weis next Monday, as usual, since both will be busy in California this Monday. That should be quite the interesting chat, if the partisans haven't stormed and burned Swarbrick's office by then.

Texas makes up big ground in coaches poll

from Bevo Beat
The USA Today coaches poll has been released.
Oklahoma held on to No. 2, but had only a one-point lead over Texas. The Longhorns, in jumping Florida, picked up 41 points over the Sooners on the ballot.
Alabama remained No. 1, while Florida slipped to fourth.
Jerry Palm, a national BCS analyst, just posted this on his blog:
“The coaches’ poll is out. Oklahoma’s lead over Texas is reduced to just one point! That’s obviously great news for Texas. It looks like all that campaigning may have paid off.
“If my computer projection is right - that’s a big if - Texas would need to lead Oklahoma by 31 points in the Harris poll to win the division.
“If they are tied in the computers, Texas only needs a two point lead in Harris.
“If Texas leads by .01 in the computers, the Longhorns need to be within 26 points of OU in the Harris poll. They were 21 behind going into the weekend, which would be good enough in this case. “
The coaches poll counts for one third of the Bowl Championship Series formula. So does the Harris poll. which won’t be revealed until the entire BCS standings are announced.
Texas led the Sooners by .0084 in last week’s standings, thanks to its strength in the computers.
One computer poll already has flipped. Sagarin now has Oklahoma first, followed by the Longhorns. UT was first in that poll a week ago.

Settling the Oklahoma-Texas debate with the big picture

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-781038654-1228070192.jpg
First things first: Of the two relevant polls that have been released as of this writing, the Coaches poll and Jeff Sagarin's computer poll both rank Oklahoma ahead of Texas. The margin in the Sagarin poll is .44 points, out of a possible 100 for any given team. The margin in the Coaches' poll is one point out of a total 19,825 points across the entire poll. Because the BCS uses voting percentages in its calculations, not the rankings, Oklahoma's advantage there is 7.05 percent of all points to Texas' 7.04 percent. Seriously: It's one-hundredth of a point according to the coaches. They're separated by literally one vote. The mysterious Harris poll and the other computer polls won't update until later today, and I'll be somewhere thousands of feet above the Lonestar State when the hammer officially drops on the Longhorns or Sooners tonight (better the hammer than my plane). But if I had to guess -- and it's only a guess because I'd put my money on Oklahoma coming out a sliver ahead, earning the Big 12 Championship bid against Missouri and inspiring heroic acts of anger and anxiety throughout Texas over the next week.
This is not fair. There is no fair: As I've written before and re-emphasized after Oklahoma's win over Oklahoma State, fair is not an option here. The only fair system would include both OU and Texas. Either team is screwed by a BCS snub; I'm guessing that team is Texas not only because of Oklahoma's standing lead in the human polls and strength-of-schedule boost in beating OSU, but because of its overall resumé.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-654130377-1228070215.jpg
For OU and Texas, the margins of victory, strength of schedule (according to Jeff Sagarin) and opponents' winning percentages are virtually identical. What you make of this depends on your emphasis: Texas fans (obviously) are most interested in the Longhorns' head-to-head win, as they've gone to great effort and expense to demonstrate. I'm more interested -- and I think the computers are more interested -- in the number of quality wins over ranked teams and other major teams with solid (7-8 wins) records. Oklahoma's advantage here is more obvious when you look at the entire schedule:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-944912447-1228070246.jpg
The order and "tiers" are based on Sagarin's rankings (if you're wondering why Rice is as high as it is under Texas' schedule, ask him), but the specific order isn't remotely as important as the number of games Oklahoma has in the top tiers compared to the other two. Essentially, the difference is that, as blowout non-conference wins go, TCU and Cincinnati are significantly better than Rice and Arkansas. That's what I see, and I expect that's what the computers will see. That's it.
Of course, I have no idea because I'm not running algorithms, and I can't predict which computer numbers will be thrown out or what effect that might have. I know someone named the "BCS Guru" agrees with me for basically the same reasons. It's not right or wrong -- the fact that we have to have this argument and split these atoms is fundamentally wrong. But as long as one team has to win, Oklahoma is probably going to be that team. We'll sort through the numbers tonight in the weekly "BCS Bustin'" item.

Garcia to start bowl game; changes afoot for coaching staff

from Garnet And Black Attack by Gamecock Man
Garcia to start bowl game; changes afoot for coaching staff

No surprise about Garcia, of course. I only wish Spurrier could have come to this revelation at halftime against Clemson. Hopefully the extra practices will be beneficial to Garcia.
Reports are also out that Spurrier has fired embattled OL coach John Hunt and that QB coach and recruiting coordinator David Reaves will join Lane Kiffin's staff at Tennessee. The Hunt move is a good one, as we have lacked a solid line during Spurrier's time here. Hard to say how much losing Reaves will hurt us. It will be interesting to see how Spurrier addresses the two holes.
There are also reports that Ellis Johnson is on Mississippi State's coaching search list, although I'd be a little surprised to see him go. First of all, he's stated before that he'd like to retire here. Second of all, you'd think the Bulldogs would go for someone with more head coaching experience. Other than a short and unsuccessful tenure as the head honcho at The Citadel, Johnson is a career assistant.

The Alphabetical: College Football, Week 14

from The Sporting Blog
Each Sunday during college football season, Spencer Hall offers a letter-by-letter analysis of Saturday's games. A is for Arena League. Someone must be mistaken. Either the Big 12 South has figured out something about football other teams have missed for the past hundred years or so, or some kind of ban on defense has been declared in the Big 12.
Oklahoma has scored over 60 points four games in a row, and scored on eight straight possessions against Oklahoma State Saturday night in a devastating, game-clinching run that had the Cowboys defense openly weeping on the field. Texas modestly kept things to a 40-point margin of victory against A&M. Texas Tech, on the receiving end of OU's blowtorch last week, has to console itself with a meager 44.6 points a game as the third banana in conference.
This presents a question for the upcoming bowl season: is defense merely optional in the Big 12, or is this just the byproduct of three or four (don't forget Ok. State, which averages 41 a game) offenses all hitting their stride with optimal personnel at the same time?
If you do cast your virtual ballot for Texas, you have one convincing argument on your side: the only team that plays any defense in the Big 12 South is also the only one who dealt the Oklahoma Cloverfield monster a loss. As horrifying as they've looked over the past four games, they still lost to Texas, which sometimes likes to tackle the guy with the ball and prevent him from scoring.
B is for BEEEEEEEES. Just three yards and a cloud of dust. Geico football -- so easy a caveman can do it. Will never work. Too simple. Too predictable. A blast from the past soon to return with a whimper. Cromag football not fit for this century.
The preceding statements? All grossly incorrect assessments of the beguiling flexbone of Paul Johnson. Georgia Tech completed one pass Saturday, allowed 42 points and a career day to Matt Stafford, and still took their missing link offense into Athens and walked out with snippets of the hedges in a 45-42 victory over Georgia. 409 yards rushing, 38 points of scoring offense, and a snapped losing streak to Georgia means Tech will happily get their caveman on any time you care to mock their punishing shell game of an offense.
They'll also have the roast duck and mango salsa. Please send the bill to Willie Martinez at table four, please.
<embed class="content-block-fix" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="never" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iVvBXBZEhkw&hl=en&fs=1" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout
C is for Croom'd. Sylvester Croom made his living as the death cat of the SEC. A visit from him and a subsequent loss meant doom for Ron Zook, Mike Shula, and Ed Orgeron, all of whom were fired in seasons that included a loss to the Bulldogs. Requisite kudos and eulogies will be made about Croom's tenure. It was an historical one, since Croom was the first black head coach in the SEC. It was a sporadically successful stretch, too. Miss State recovered somewhat from the ravages of the Jackie Sherrill era to go to a bowl game last year, and played competitive football throughout Croom's tenure. He also demonstrated a sterling track record with player discipline, ran his program "the right way," and once suited up and played on the line during practice as a motivational gambit for his players. Much good can be said of him.
Niceties aside, Croom should be remembered on the football field as an offensive coach whose offenses never scored. This year's unit is 113th in the nation in total offense, and it never finished in the top 100 nationally. Croom's departure may reduce the total number of black head coaches to a shameful total of three, but being truly colorblind means valuing quantifiable results over all else. Croom resigning -- rather than being fired -- is tacit acknowledgement of this.
D is for Decimated. The act of disciplining a Roman military unit by killing every tenth man. Any number of units suffered this fate, apparently playing one side of the ball with ten men (or at least appearing to.) Notre Dame's offense, which gained their first first down at the end of the third quarter against USC; Georgia's defense, whose safeties appeared to be playing with eyepatches; or Oregon State's entire defense, which prepared for the Oregon game by coating their arms with generous helpings of slick, buttery cooking spray. (More on that ghastly effort later.)
E is for Encourageous. Mark Mangino used the purely invented word "gutty" to describe Todd Reesing's game against Mizzou, and though it's just gibberish, we'll go with it in Reesing's honor: 37-for-51 for 375 yards, 4 TDs, and a game played through repeated hammerings from the Tigers, including one blow so hard his coaches thought he was knocked out. All well worth a 40-37 comeback victory over Mizzou, and outlandacious guttiness from a mantastic quarterback. Reesing is our Mandom Award Winner for the week. Congratulatations, Todd. Gutty, indeed.
F is for Fakery Failed. The first funniest thing we saw this weekend:
<embed class="content-block-fix" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="never" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OQbXqopqdRA&hl=en&fs=1" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout
G is for Grizzly/Grisly. As in the beards and accompanying results on both Tennessee QB Jonathan Crompton and the entire Oregon State team. One helped. Jonathan Crompton, sporting a beard I will dub "the Moonshiner's Neckwarmer," threw for one TD, ran for another, and for the first time, obeyed the prime directive of quarterback play: "Do no harm." Oregon State's beards seemed to grow into their eyes, as they blew a Pac-10 title shot by missing every Oregon runner on the field. (They were wearing neon yellow cleats. How can you miss that?)
H is Hate. From ESPN -- not the paranoid minds of message boarders who insist the opposition holds mini-Mardi Gras whenever a member of their team is injured on the field -- we have real, live nastiness from a fanbase to an injured player in the Florida/Florida State game.
The Seminoles fired up Tebow before last year's game when linebacker Geno Hayes vowed to "take him down." This time, the FSU fans offered Tebow a little extra motivation. They cheered wildly when Harvin, the team's leading receiver, left the game in the second quarter with a sprained right ankle. He limped off the field with the help of trainers and didn't return.
Tebow carried Seminole defenders on his back for a four-yard touchdown a few plays later, and cited the cheering of an injury as motivation. Deplorable work by the Florida State crowd, though some did fine work in cheering the Seminoles on in non-offensive ways that were not dependent on someone else getting hurt.
3070413755_c6a11da059_o.jpg

The use of oil-based paint to prevent smearing in the rainy conditions of Tallahassee? That's planning.
I is for Inquiry: Bill Stewart's clock management with under two minutes left in the Pitt game brings up the issue of what to do when you are out of timeouts and on defense with under two minutes to go ... a question that may be answered by letting Pitt score and getting the ball back.
Situation: At 1:54, Pitt has a 3rd and 1 on the WVU 1-yard line, and is down 15-13. Pitt can score a TD or kick a field goal to win, both extremely likely given the game conditions. The most important thing at this point in the game becomes possession and clock, not preventing the Pitt score. (Preventing it is a heroic but highly unlikely scenario.)
Out of timeouts, there is only one real way to stop the clock and get possession: allow Pitt to score. It is not without precedent -- the extremely uncrazy Steve Mariucci pulled this exact move in the NFL when he was out of timeouts. Stewart opted to grind out the rest and hope for a stop and a FG block.
Pitt scored, missed the two-point conversion, and held a four-point lead and gave the ball back to WVU with 44 seconds on the clock. Had WVU let Pitt score uncontested, they could have had around a minute and a half to get a TD. It's not an easy or conventional call, but it is one that in retrospect could have given the Mountaineers more time to pull out a comeback. (Armchair coaching! Catch the fever.)
J is for Jedi. Sam Bradford's line: 30/44, 370 yards, 4 TDs, and no INTs. Numbers cheapen the way it looked, though. Bradford missed nothing. No space unexploited between linebackers, no ball underthrown ... even his receivers' drops went for TDs, as a tip off the hands of a wide receiver on a perfectly thrown ball went caroming into the air and into the hands of TE Jermaine Gresham for a TD.
He needs to work on his Jedi levitation skills, though.
<embed class="content-block-fix" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="never" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AMULDN99Ss8&hl=en&fs=1" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout
K is Knowshon. As in Moreno, who along with Matthew Stafford is gone to the NFL most likely as a first-round pick. The best backfield Georgia ever had goes out with as bitter a 9-3 season as one can have. Now cue the pitchforks and torch crowd; your target is Georgia defensive coordinator Willie Martinez, and you have evidence aplenty to bring with you to the kangaroo court.
L is for Large. Boise State led Fresno State by a meager three points at the half, 13-10. Boise finished the game by scoring 48 points unanswered. The lesson? Lose early to them, and they may spare you a 48-point half. Boise will accomplish what only one national title contender at this point may claim: an untarnished, shiny, undefeated regular-season record for 2008.
M is for MACnificent. Ball State also finishes an undefeated season, and deserves congratulations not coming from David Letterman
N is for Ninety-Six. Or the total number of yards gained by Notre Dame against USC. Clausen's line alone draws flies and scares the children: 11/22, 41 yards, 4 sacks, 2 INTs, 0 TDS.
O is for Outro. Cue the music for Dabo Swinney, whose audition as the head coach for Clemson proved to be a largely successful one even if he does not get an invitation to coach the team on a permanent basis. Clemson dominated a flummoxed Steve Spurrier's Gamecocks in a game where the OBC seemed to be praying to be hit by a stray meteor on the sidelines.
James Davis got the ball 24 times and scored three TDs, proving if nothing else, Swinney is smarter than his predecessor, since he actually gave the best player on his team the ball when it mattered. If Bowden had done the same thing, you might not even know that an adult actually goes by the name "Dabo," much less that he was a college football coach capable of running a team.
P is for Premier League. Mike Sherman, you are hereby informed that points are not accumulated in league play for a collective score tallied at the end of the year.
Q is for Quaking. Further chaos awaits as the Big 12 will be decided by the BCS rankings. Mack Brown has appeared on the following shows to stump for Texas in the past 48 hours:
--ESPN SportsCenter
--ESPN College Football Live
--ESPN Gameday
--A very special episode of Dexter
--The Colbert Report
--Al-Jazeera (speaking fluent Arabic, weirdly enough)
--Univision's Republica Deportivo
--The View
Mack Brown, please get off of my television. I am voting Texas above Oklahoma, and you can stop stumping like a city councilman on the make. (Though I'm still taking "charitable donations" for my vote, if you're handing them out, Mack.)
R is for Redemption. As in Casey Dick collapsing, overcome after leading Arkansas back in a 31-30 win over LSU.
<embed class="content-block-fix" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="never" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zfc8tt44eHo&hl=en&fs=1" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout
Ryan Mallett told him before the game he would finish his career by throwing a last minute touchdown pass to win the game. Mallett may have powers we don't properly understand. Properly understood, though, is LSU's collapse this year. Confusion and personnel losses on the defensive side of the ball, plus the trial-by-fire of new QBs, equalled misery in big games for the Tigers. Beware the instant top-ten slot for a returning national champion with offseason roster holes.
S is for Sympathy for the Devil. Mark May was ... um ... right about Lane Kiffin? Was I actually agreeing with Lance Smarmstrong when he said he didn't like Tennessee's hire? Did I drink out of a stagnant cattle pond earlier? Am I hallucinating? Do I need medical attention? Or is Mark May just saying something I agree with? Please advise, as I, too, think talking about "what a great staff" someone will hire is a bad, bad sign? (To wit: name one of Paul Johnson's assistants. Who? Thank you.)
T is for Ten. The number of yards Oregon averaged per play against Oregon State. Listening to Versus' announcers discuss LeGarrette Blount's physique was almost as funny as watching Oregon State play rush defense. "His butt and legs are huge!" He's sensitive, and prefers to be called "big-boned," thank you very much.
U is for Unsexy. As in Virginia Tech, ACC championship-bound despite lacking a quarterback or functional offense for two years running. They will face Boston College, a team that cobbled together a division champion out of baling wire, toothpicks, some old duct tape, and the constant tinkering of coach Jeff Jagodzinski. That guy's a freaking genius.
V is for Vainglorious. Charlie Weis, 2007:
"They're going to have to learn about us, OK? Let them try to stop a pro-style offense, which has multiple personnel groups and multiple formations. Let's see how they are going to do. They've had their advantage because I've come into recruiting late. Well, now it's X's and O's time. Let's see who has the advantage now."​
Answers: Pete Carroll, Paul Johnson, and Greg Robinson.
W is for Wanted: As in one offensive coordinator for major SEC football program in Alabama not named Alabama. Must have ability to mesh with new staff, accept any and all blame for failings of offensive subordinates, and should be fond of Golden Flake potato chips. One-year contract with likely payout following midseason dismissal to be negotiated; must run on first down.
X is for Xenogenous. Originating outside the organism or from a foreign substance introduced into the organism, or describing a coach introduced into a relatively new environment.
See coaches succeeding in year two for a positive example of a xenogenous presence, as year two is the new year three, and Alabama is the latest case in point. Jim Tressel, Bob Stoops, and Urban Meyer all took their teams to national titles in their second year as new head coaches, using the potent combination of extant talent and new philosophies to flip their respective houses for immense profits.
Nick Saban stands four quarters from getting a shot to do just that after erasing Auburn 36-0, and would be the fifth coach this decade to hit the national title game in year two of his tenure. (Larry Coker led Miami to the game in his first two years as Miami's coach.)
Y is for Yowza. I watched most of this game, and I didn't see Mark Sanchez throw a 2.75 mile long TD.
Z is for Zapped. As in Washington State by Hawaii, which endured the final loss in a season stocked with them, 24-10. The bad news: you lost to Hawaii. The good news: you're in Hawaii, and the season's over. To those Cougars of legal age, the drinks are on us. Just bill to Sporting News and order as many as you like, gentlemen. You need to forget most of what happened in 2008.

Oklahoma moves ahead of Texas in BCS, gets Big 12 title shot

from Bevo Beat
Oklahoma eased past Texas into second place in the Bowl Championship Series standings.
That means the Sooners will represent the south division at next Saturday’s Big 12 Conference title game.
The computers gave OU the edge. The Longhorns remained second, as they were a week ago, but Oklahoma jumped from third to first.
A consolation prize for Texas is the team is all but assured a major bowl berth. If the Sooners beat Missouri Saturday in the league title game, the Longhorns would go to the Fiesta Bowl, possibly playing Ohio State.
If OU loses to the Tigers, Texas would have an inside track for the national title game, which will be played in Miami.
No one will know for sure until next Sunday when the final BCS standings are revealed.
Earlier in the day, the Longhorns moved ahead of Oklahoma in two of the three major polls.
Texas was third in the Harris poll, six points ahead of OU. The USA Today/coaches poll put OU second, one point ahead of the Longhorns.
The Associated Press media poll, which does not count in the BCS formula, also had Texas third, ahead of Oklahoma.
And in an odd twist, the Longhorns beat both Oklahoma and Missouri by double digits in the regular season.

Numbers Game: So You're Saying There's a Chance!

from Burnt Orange Nation by billyzane
Well, that sucked. Everyone needs to read Peter's beautiful tome on how to handle ourselves in this incredibly unfortunate (and in our minds unjust) situation. But the chances of Texas going to the BCS National Championship game are not gone. Take a look at the BCS standings:

<table style="clear: both;" border="1" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"> <tbody> <tr align="center" valign="top"> <td colspan="2"> </td> <td colspan="2">BCS</td> <td colspan="3">Harris Poll</td> <td colspan="3">USA Today</td> <td colspan="8">Computer Rankings</td> </tr> <tr align="right" valign="top"> <td valign="top"> </td> <td align="left" width="15%">TEAM</td> <td>BCS AVG</td> <td>PRVS</td> <td>RK</td> <td>PTS</td> <td>%</td> <td>RK</td> <td>PTS</td> <td>%</td> <td>COMP AVG</td> <td>A&H</td> <td>RB</td> <td>CM</td> <td>KM</td> <td>JS</td> <td>PW</td> <td>%</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="left" valign="top">1</td> <td align="left" valign="top" width="100">Alabama</td> <td>.9713</td> <td>1</td> <td>1</td> <td>2815</td> <td>.9965</td> <td>1</td> <td>1521</td> <td>.9974</td> <td>3</td> <td>25</td> <td>25</td> <td>23</td> <td>21</td> <td>22</td> <td>22</td> <td>.920</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="left" valign="top">2</td> <td align="left" valign="top" width="100">Oklahoma</td> <td>.9351</td> <td>3</td> <td>4</td> <td>2569</td> <td>.9094</td> <td>2</td> <td>1397</td> <td>.9161</td> <td>1</td> <td>22</td> <td>24</td> <td>24</td> <td>25</td> <td>25</td> <td>25</td> <td>.980</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="left" valign="top">3</td> <td align="left" valign="top" width="100">Texas</td> <td>.9223</td> <td>2</td> <td>3</td> <td>2575</td> <td>.9115</td> <td>3</td> <td>1396</td> <td>.9154</td> <td>2</td> <td>23</td> <td>22</td> <td>25</td> <td>23</td> <td>24</td> <td>24</td> <td>.940</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="left" valign="top">4</td> <td align="left" valign="top" width="100">Florida</td> <td>.8851</td> <td>4</td> <td>2</td> <td>2619</td> <td>.9271</td> <td>4</td> <td>1385</td> <td>.9082</td> <td>6</td> <td>20</td> <td>23</td> <td>22</td> <td>20</td> <td>20</td> <td>19</td> <td>.820</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="left" valign="top">5</td> <td align="left" valign="top" width="100">USC</td> <td>.8076</td> <td>5</td> <td>5</td> <td>2378</td> <td>.8418</td> <td>5</td> <td>1298</td> <td>.8511</td> <td>8</td> <td>17</td> <td>21</td> <td>19</td> <td>19</td> <td>18</td> <td>17</td> <td>.730</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="left" valign="top">6</td> <td align="left" valign="top" width="100">Utah</td> <td>.7844</td> <td>6</td> <td>7</td> <td>2111</td> <td>.7473</td> <td>7</td> <td>1153</td> <td>.7561</td> <td>5</td> <td>24</td> <td>19</td> <td>21</td> <td>22</td> <td>21</td> <td>21</td> <td>.850</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="left" valign="top">7</td> <td align="left" valign="top" width="100">Texas Tech</td> <td>.7805</td> <td>7</td> <td>8</td> <td>2090</td> <td>.7398</td> <td>8</td> <td>1116</td> <td>.7318</td> <td>4</td> <td>21</td> <td>20</td> <td>20</td> <td>24</td> <td>23</td> <td>23</td> <td>.870</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="left" valign="top">8</td> <td align="left" valign="top" width="100">Penn State</td> <td>.7373</td> <td>8</td> <td>6</td> <td>2177</td> <td>.7706</td> <td>6</td> <td>1176</td> <td>.7711</td> <td>9</td> <td>18</td> <td>16</td> <td>17</td> <td>16</td> <td>16</td> <td>18</td> <td>.670</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="left" valign="top">9</td> <td align="left" valign="top" width="100">Boise State</td> <td>.7034</td> <td>9</td> <td>9</td> <td>1937</td> <td>.6857</td> <td>9</td> <td>1044</td> <td>.6846</td> <td>7</td> <td>19</td> <td>18</td> <td>18</td> <td>18</td> <td>19</td> <td>20</td> <td>.740</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="left" valign="top">10</td> <td align="left" valign="top" width="100">Ohio State</td> <td>.6340</td> <td>10</td> <td>10</td> <td>1856</td> <td>.6570</td> <td>10</td> <td>999</td> <td>.6551</td> <td>11</td> <td>16</td> <td>17</td> <td>16</td> <td>11</td> <td>13</td> <td>14</td> <td>.590</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> Follow me after the jump for a little bit of thought on Texas' remaining opportunities.
Fact 1 that People are Forgetting: Our beef today was not with the BCS but with the Big 12 tiebreaker scheme. We won't know if the BCS did it's job this year until after next weekend. The BCS was never meant to break conference ties. You can't blame the BCS for this, only the conference that intertwined its conference rankings with a preliminary BCS poll that was not meant to do anything of the sort.
If Fact 2 is Relevant, it will be the Best of Both Worlds: Missouri beating OU sends Texas to the National Championship game and OU to the Cotton Bowl. USC is too far back to pass Texas even if it beats UCLA and wins its conference. Even voters won't be able to muster enough chutzpah to put USC ahead considering the fact that if OU loses to Missouri, Texas will be viewed as a team that got screwed.
Fact 3 is Something We've All Been Slowly Realizing: If Florida beats Alabama, it's possible that the Gators will not pass Texas in the BCS. I posted about it last week, a few people have brought it up in the comments and 54b wrote a FanPost about it. Florida is way behind in the computers. A win over Alabama will certainly help, but who knows how much. If Florida and OU split the #1 human vote (so that each is effectively ranked 1.5, while Texas is ranked a solid number 3 (or a little bit higher by some who still have Texas above OU on their ballots)), then it's possible that Texas will retain enough of a computer advantage to lead Florida in the BCS. It's unlikely because I think Florida will make up enough ground in the computers to take the BCS lead, but it's not a given that Florida will be above Texas even if it beats Alabama.
Blind Opinion States its Case to be Fact 4: If Texas cannot make it to the National Championship game, then my greatest rooting interest in the Orange Bowl is for OU to get the shit beat out of it for the 5th straight BCS Bowl game. I think Florida has a better chance to effect such a beatdown than Alabama and because of that, and combined with Fact 3 (and the fact that Nick Saban is quite possibly the devil incarnate), I'll be rooting for the Gators on Saturday.
Above all else though, Go Mizzou! Beat the Hell Outta The Land (and Big12) Thieves!

Big 12 commissioner addresses UT-OU-Tech

from Bevo Beat
League commissioner Dan Beebe just released the following statement:
“I would like to congratulate Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech for winning a share of the Big 12 south division,” Beebe said. “This has truly been a memorable season thus far for the Big 12, including the first three-way, first-place tie in the Conference’s 13-year history.
“The tiebreak process currently in place was carefully considered and voted upon by our athletics directors years ago, although I doubt they envisioned the scenario we have this year with a tie including the No. 2 and 3 teams in the country in one of our divisions.
“The use of the BCS Standings is one of multiple steps used and occurs when other steps in the process are unable to break the tie. As part of our season review, other tiebreak options will be assessed, and presented for consideration.”
Chances are, the Big 12 may look at how the Southeastern and Atlantic Coast Conferences breaks its ties.
Those leagues look at the top two conference teams in the BCS, then see if there’s a head-to-head matchup between them.
With the SEC and ACC tiebreaker, the Longhorns would have advanced thanks to their 45-35 win over Oklahoma.

Dave Christensen to be Wyoming’s Next Head Coach

from The Mountain West Conference Connection by Jeremy

Missouri offensive coordinator Dave Christensen will be named the head coach of Wyoming, according to ESPN. The official announcement is going to be made Monday at a press conference in Laramie. Christensen is familiar in the area as he served as an assistant coach at Idaho State and the University of Washington, and he played for Don James at Washington in 1980-82.
This is a solid hire for Wyoming since their offense has been terrible the past few years and while at Missouri In 2007, Missouri’s offense scored a school-record 558 points and ranked in the top 10 in the nation in scoring offense, passing offense and total offense.
Prior to that Missouri’s offense was no where near those levels, and also in 2007 Christensen was a finalist for the Frank Broyles Award, which is handed out annually to the nation’s best assistant coach.
This will be Christensens’s first head coaching job, and as of now it is not clear if he will finish out the season with Missouri or begin the Wyoming job immediately after the Monday press conference that Christensen will be attending.

Statement from Mack Brown

from Bevo Beat
Texas coach Mack Brown has released the following statement:
“Going into the last couple of weeks, we knew that a good team was going to be left out of the Big 12 Championship. Unfortunately, in this situation, it was us. It is what it is. We don’t like it, we don’t agree with it or think it’s fair, but, like anything else, we’ll handle it and move forward.
“I’m really disappointed for our kids that two teams we beat this season will be playing for the Big 12 Championship. I’ll try to explain it to them, but most importantly, my message will be that you’ve done enough to put yourself in position to play for the conference championship, you had a great season and there still is a lot out there for you to play for.
“We’ll wait and see how everything plays out and where the system sends us, then be ready to play our best game of the year wherever that is. I do appreciate all of the respect many of the poll voters and fans gave to our season and the importance they placed on the head-to-head matchup in the end, but, unfortunately, it was not enough.
“Since this situation has never happened before in the Big 12, I think the conference should follow the lead of all of the other BCS leagues with championship games (ACC/Conference USA/Mid-American/SEC) in how they settle three-way ties. I think their systems are fairer and give more credit to how the two highest ranked teams performed against each other on the field.”

BCS Realpolitik: Oklahoma it is, but a new route to chaos from the Gator-hater computers

In a perfect world, the Doc would be given carte blanche to publicly torch the Bowl Championship Series in effigy and institute the elaborate, double-elimination battle royale of his dreams. But we live in the world we live in, so each Sunday the Doc looks at what the new BCS numbers mean for the rest of the season. Rooting interest: chaos. Always chaos. As predicted, the machines bit hard for Oklahoma's win over Oklahoma State, despite the paper-thin finish in the human polls: Oklahoma finished one measly point ahead of Texas for No. 2 in the Coaches' poll, 1,397 points to 1,396, and just six points back of the Longhorns in the Harris poll, whose members were apparently swayed enough by the Horns' "45-35" sloganeering to move UT back in front of the Sooners, 2,575 points to 2,569. If you had to pick a winner in the human polls, by the narrowest possible margins, it's probably Texas. But essentially, it's a tie.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-985434131-1228090186.jpg
It's not as close according to the computers: Oklahoma took three first-place votes from the machines to only one for Texas (which was subsequently dropped from UT's average as the high score) and finished in front of the Longhorns in four out of six computer ballots. The Sooners are headed to the Big 12 Championship game because of the computers, and it has nothing to do with "style points" -- the algorithms aren't even allowed to note OU's gaping point totals or margins of victory. If the conference schedule was basically a wash, I have to think the difference was strictly Oklahoma's non-conference wins over a pair of top-20 teams, TCU and Cincinnati, which were vastly better than Texas' best out-of-conference wins, over Arkansas and Rice.
This is simultaneously fair to Oklahoma and unfair to Texas, and also not the most interesting result of this week's effort. Take a look at the computer averages: Alabama ranks third, behind the 'Horns and Sooners, and the Tide were ranked fourth or fifth by three out of the six machines (again, strength of schedule, people. Think twice about those body bag games with Tulane and Western Kentucky). In the same vein, an email from a worried Florida voter popped up this morning in my inbox for the second time in just a few days:
UF is still #6 in Sagarin's rankings today, and not really anywhere close to #5 Utah. How sure ARE we that the computers will jump UF up after playing a 13th game? And how sure are we that if they don't, even a #1 ranking from the humans would be enough to keep UF #2 ahead of the Big 12 South runner-up? I would like someone somewhere to run through this with more than just a "Florida and Alabama in a semi-final" bit of "analysis."
This is a great point that I'm not sure I would have considered otherwise, and that most people are overlooking in their rush to deem Alabama-Florida the winner-take-all primer for the mythical championship. That's certainly true for Alabama if it finishes 13-0, and I assume it's true for Florida in the human polls if the Gators take the mighty SEC at 12-1. But the computers? That's not so certain.
My concerned emailer is right: Florida's highest rank in any of the six computer polls is third (Richard Billingsley); after that UF is fouth, sixth, sixth, sixth and seventh, respectively. Compare that with Texas:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-641302283-1228090203.jpg
There is at least three positions difference between the Horns and Gators in every computer poll except Richard Billingsley's. So how much is beating Alabama -- which, again, comes into the game ranked behind Texas and Oklahoma in the computer average -- worth? The humans are all but guaranteed to vote Florida into the championship with a win Saturday, any kind of win. But will it be worth enough in the computer polls (I'm thinking at least two positions per computer) to close that very wide gap with Texas? That's a shaky guess.
Chaos is not Missouri upsetting Oklahoma; in fact, that's very clean: Texas will play the SEC champion, whoever it is. Chaos is Florida beating Alabama, and still missing out because the computers are set on an OU-Texas rematch.

Back