2005-06 CFB Record
77-71, +0.52 Units

2006-07 CFB Record
70-48, +51.29 Units

2007-08 CFB Record
53-52, -33 Units

2008-09 CFB Record
54-41-2 +8.45 Units

Nice start to last week going 5-0 including the Thursday night UNLV game. Then went 2-4 in the late games and was 0-2 with my 2 late Big XII adds. Not good. Still, I'll take a 7-4 week (I'm counting Texas as 2 wins since I had normal bets at 2 different lines).

Picks
Michigan St +16 (-110) (Greek is now telling me its' 14'--Stuck with it now)
CMU +7 (-110)
Vandy -3 (-110)
NC State +12 (-110)
LSU -3 (-110)

Last edited:
Nittany Lions Enjoying Post-Loss Hangover

from The FanHouse - NCAAfootball
by Chris BurkeFiled under: Indiana, Michigan State, Penn State, Big 10
clark.jpg
This had to be a difficult week for Penn State - losing a heart-breaker at Iowa last week cost Joe Paterno's boys a shot at the national title, so a lull could be expected.

And right on cue, the Nittany Lions sleepwalked through the first half against 3-7 Indiana this afternoon. This is an Indiana team that lost at home to Wisconsin 55-20 last week, and came into today as a 35-point underdog, but played the Nittany Lions to a 10-7 halftime score.

You have to give Indiana some credit for going into Happy Valley and playing solid - but this is more about PSU's lack of energy than anything the Hoosiers put together. I'm sure Paterno won't be making any excuses (eh ... maybe he will), but between last week's letdown and next week's Big Ten-deciding clash with Michigan State, this was an easy one to overlook.

There's probably no reason for long-term concern, but given the visit from Michigan State upcoming, a solid second half would be nice for Nittany Lion eyes to see (and it's off to a good start, with a quick touchdown).

Shonn Greene Makes It 11 Consecutive 100-Yard Games

by Mark HastyFiled under: Iowa, Heisman
shonn-greene-180-sm.jpg
It didn't even take him a half. In the third quarter, Iowa's Shonn Greene has 134 yards on 18 carries, meaning no one has held him under 100 yards this season. Turnovers, penalties, and special teams woes have kept Purdue in the game, however. The Hawkeyes have missed two PATs, fumbled once, and have committed two drive-sustaining defensive penalties.

Purdue's Curtis Painter lived up to some of his preseason hype right before halftime, leading the Boilermakers on a quick hurry-up drive which ended with a 12-yard touchdown pass to Desmond Tardy. Iowa's Daniel Murray, hero of last week's game, added a 45-yard field goal early in the third quarter.

Greene isn't close to the all-time record of consecutive 100-yard games. That belongs to Ohio State's Archie Griffin, who had 31 in a row from September 1973 to November 1975. Greene only has one year of elegibility remaining, so he can't catch Griffin if he decides to return for his senior season. He can tie the NCAA record of 12 100-yard games in one season, currently held by Oklahoma's Quentin Griffin and Chadron State's Danny Woodhead.

Greene won't get any Heisman love, because as we all know, college football's most outstanding player is always on a team in the national title hunt.

UPDATE: Greene finished with 30 carries for 209 yards and 2 touchdowns in Iowa's 22-17 victory.

What's next for Joe?
<table class="print_table"> <tbody><tr> <td>
de66b795db3232d68725750100739d0c.jpg

</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photocutline">UNLV's Martin Tevaseu celebrates defeating Wyoming following an NCAA college football game in Las Vegas on Thursday, Nov. 13, 2008. UNLV defeated Wyoming 22-14. (AP Photo/Isaac Brekken)</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
By AUSTIN WARD
Star-Tribune staff writer
LAS VEGAS -- The era hasn't officially ended.

But the Wyoming locker room sure felt like a wake on Thursday night.
Players slowly streamed out in tears, coach Joe Glenn awkwardly called out the Cowboys and athletic director Tom Burman looked very much like a man wrestling with a difficult decision after a demoralizing 22-14 loss at UNLV.

The Cowboys are officially eliminated from bowl contention, incapable of finishing the season with a .500 record and likely starting to prepare for a new coach -- though Burman reiterated any move wouldn't happen until after next week's Border War with Colorado State.

"We'll just talk about it at the end of the year," Burman said. "We'll sit down with Joe and make a decision one way or another and go forward."

All indications point to UW moving on without Glenn after six seasons in Laramie, and rumors have surfaced that Burman might have already contacted possible replacements -- possibly including Gary Barnett.

Burman refused to comment when asked specifically about the former Colorado coach, but at this point it seems clear the Cowboys will be searching for somebody to take over for Glenn.

He seemed resigned to his fate after UW coughed up a second-half lead and couldn't come back when its turnover and special teams problems flared up again, holding court in a somewhat surreal press conference that featured some uncharacteristic criticism of his players.

Glenn never mentioned any specific names, but it wasn't difficult to figure out who he was talking about during the brief postgame comments.

He chastised quarterback Chris Stutzriem for his two late interceptions and accused him of trying "to do too much."

He pointed a finger at punter Austin McCoy for failing to help UW establish better field position and seemed upset at running back Devin Moore for his improvisations against a run defense that has been repeatedly gashed this season.

And Glenn openly admitted he was angry with his team when the season unofficially ended, even though the Cowboys clearly didn't give up when it appeared over two weeks ago or after falling behind in the fourth quarter.

"In spite of all this, I give UNLV credit," Glenn said. "I don't think they turned it over, they played a clean game, made plays over and over when they had to, couldn't stop them on the short passes, didn't tackle very well in my opinion.

"They were just better than us. It was a hard-fought game by both teams, but the best team won (Thursday)."

Other than the costly turnovers down the stretch, UW certainly played well enough to have flipped the roles.

And after last week's improbable upset at Tennessee, there was definitely a belief the Cowboys had corrected their season-long problems and could both earn a bowl bid and save Glenn's job.

The former is dead already, and the latter only seems to be needing confirmation.

"I hadn't really thought about (last week affecting a decision one way or another)," Burman said. "I was excited about the Tennessee win and hopeful that maybe we'd turn the corner."

Instead UW is stuck on the same old street.

Juice Williams just needs time to grow out of being Juice Williams

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
Scroll down or click here for the Doc's weekly game day live blog.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-713291642-1226780185.jpg
Ohio State 30, Illinois 20. A note on Juice Williams: He didn't have the worst day of his life or anything, and Ohio State is about as formidable a defense as Illinois sees all year. But he was responsible for two turnovers (a fumble and an interception), was pulled in the second half for Eddie McGee, and even his first touchdown was a terrible third down throw picked off the turf on a great effort by his receiver (the second was essentially a meaningless throw with less than a minute to go in a three-score game). It was Juice's fourth consecutive game with multiple giveaways, during which time the Illini are 1-3, lost to a MAC team and saw whatever ambitions they had for the season go up in smoke. At 5-6, even a bowl game is virtually out of the question now, in large part due to Juice's late season swoon.
Twice today, Juice was defended -- by Chris Fowler on GameDay and Andre Ware during the broadcast -- as young, but still growing with a bright future. Fowler said he only needs to cut down on the interceptions; Ware suggested that, "once he learns patience," Juice is going to be a great player. This is exactly what they said about him when he couldn't hit the side of a barn as a freshman. Now, he's started more than 30 games in a row over three years. At what point are interceptions and inconsistency attributed to "youth," or some variation, than to Juice being Juice?
Terrelle Pryor, on the other hand, is well ahead of schedule. I refuse to make the obvious comparison at this point to a certain other intensely-recruited, six-foot-six gazelle of a quarterback who makes everyone else on the field look like they're moving in slow motion. But Pryor's progression as a freshman is like a rocket compared to the usual curve: He was interception-free for the fifth time in his last six starts and will still lead the Big Ten in pass efficiency on Monday. He just logged his first 100-yard rushing game. If leapin' Beanie Wells gives any thought to coming back for his senior year, this offense will be beyond frightening.

Navy Almost Does it Again

from The Sporting Blog
Navy.jpg
Down 27-7 in the fourth quarter, Notre Dame seemed assured to avoid a second straight embarrassment at the hands of Navy. Last year, the Midshipmen beat the Irish for the first time in 44 years ... and it took three overtimes to vanquish the longtime masters of the rivalry.

But Navy made this edition interesting, by recovering two onside kicks in the final minutes. After a score with 1 minute 53 seconds, Navy recovered the kick and scored three plays later. The Midshipmen lined up for another onside try ... and three N.D. players watched it sail by and into the arms of a Navy man.

Unfortunately, Navy couldn't move the ball from there and turned it over on downs, sealing Notre Dame's 27-21 victory. It made for excellent viewing, though ... unless you're a Notre Dame fan. In that case, let's hope the antacids were closer to your grasp than the whiskey.

Final: Texas shuts down Kansas, wins 35-7

from Bevo Beat

The Texas Longhorns braved the November cold of Kansas and emerged unscathed from a state that hasn’t always been friendly to them. And Texas even added a few style points, holding the Jayhawks to one touchdown and pulling away in the second half for a 35-7 win.
The fourth-ranked Longhorns improved to 10-1 (6-1 in Big 12) and kept alive their hopes of returning to this area for the Big 12 championship in Kansas City next month and making it to Miami for the national championship in January. Texas’ primary rivals for the Big 12 crown, Texas Tech and Oklahoma, were off today and are gearing up to meet next Saturday in Norman, Okla.
Here in Lawrence, the defenses dominated early, and the Longhorn defense dominated all day.
Colt McCoy and his receivers struggled for much of the day, likely a result of the temperature in the 30s and winds gusting to 30 mph. He ended up completing 24 of 34 passes for 255 yards and two touchdowns. Six Longhorn receivers registered at least 20 yards of receiving, with Quan Cosby leading the way with 70 yards on six catches, one for a touchdown.
McCoy’s counterpart, Lake Travis product Todd Reesing, completed half of his 50 passes, for 258 yards and a touchdown.
The Longhorns now get a Saturday off before facing Texas A&M on Thanksgiving night.

Cincinnati 28, Louisville 20

from Card Chronicle by Mike Rutherford
It's gross outside and I don't have a sporting event to look forward to today, so I'm going to shelve the initial positivity.
With all due respect to Cincinnati - a team that will almost certainly prove itself fully capable of handling Syracuse in two weeks - that was an awful football game. In fact, this has been a season loaded with almost nothing but awful football games. Even in the tight tilts where I've been near completely focused on willing the Cards to victory, there's always been a moment where, "wow, this is pretty bad" has crept into the back of my mind.
Sometimes you need the take of complete outsiders to gain proper perspective, and I found some of that when I read the U of L/UC game thread over at Burnt Orange Nation where a hoard of Texas fans were pulling for the Cards because a Bearcat loss would hurt Oklahoma and help the 'Horns in the computer rankings. I imagine it'd be sort of like us having to pull for UTEP to beat Rice in order to gain a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Have I shared my feelings on college football's postseason before?
Anyway, here are a few of the thoughts of the UT turned U of L fans during the action last night.
It feels like Miami was about 15 years ago.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
U of L was given every opportunity to seize complete control of the game early in the second half, but the Cards again refused to do so. Cincy kicks the ball out-of-bounds to start the half, U of L gets one first down and punts. Cincy fumbles on its own nine, U of L gains nothing and kicks a field goal. Cincy misses a field goal after a long drive, U of L goes three and out and gives it right back.
The Cards could never find a big offensive play when they needed it. Take two: The Cards could never find a big offensive play that wasn't negated by a holding penalty when they needed it.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
There was a lot to be upset about after the game, but what precipitated the 45-yard field goal attempt made the largest negative stamp on me.
Apparently we have so little faith in our kicker with nothing on the line early in the first quarter that we opt to go for it on 4th and 6 instead of attempting a 25-yard field goal. But then, miraculously, we have so much faith in our kicker down one midway through the 4th quarter that we can run a draw play on 3rd and 16 from just outside the 30. You don't need to try and pick up the first down in that situation, but you do need to put the ball in the air and try to pick up nine or ten yards in order to give the kid a chance.
Ryan Payne was thrown to the wolves, and I found that really upsetting.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
So apparently Brian Kelly's blowing off Kragthorpe after the game was the product of Krag making a fuss over the Bearcat players praying around midifeld before the game.
That's awesome. You get the feeling sometimes that the guy goes out of his way to invent stuff to get worked up about with the hope that he can minimize the lack of intensity criticism.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Sometimes the impact Ron English has had on this team becomes undeniably apparent.
Cincinnati tried to run the same middle screen it used to score its first touchdown on two more occasions later in the game. The first time the receiver made the catch and was hit immediately after a gain of two yards. The second time the linebackers were all over both receivers and the Bearcats ended up being penalized for having an ineligible receiver downfield.
This defense might not be as good as it could possibly be, but I think it's pretty damn close.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
It's ridiculous how much this team needs Scott Long. There's simply no other legitimate deep threat among the corps.
I keep wanting Brohm to give Chris Vaughn a chance to step up and make some plays downfield - and to his credit, Vaughn played more inspired wearing No. 84 than he ever has while wearing No. 9 over the past three seasons - but when you keep your eye on him for an extended period of time, it becomes apparent why he hasn't been utilized any more in Long's absence: the guy doesn't know any of the plays. There were at least four times when the team broke the huddle and Vaughn had to go over to Cantwell and ask a question, and on two of those occasions he promptly went and lined up on the wrong side of the field.
Even on Doug Beaumont's big catch down the middle of the field, Josh Chichester was five yards directly in front of him, meaning one of them (I'm going to go ahead and guess No. 11) ran the wrong route.
Without Long and Guy for so much of the season, guys who weren't anywhere near ready for the spotlight were thrust into it kicking and screaming, and it's been really noticeable from the opening series against Kentucky up until now.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
I feel like Troy Pascley goes deep on every play. It seems like every time a play ends you see Pascley jogging back to the huddle from about 30 yards downfield. He's like the super fast soccer-playing kid who had no hands at recess.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Trying to implement the Wildcat offense for the third-to-last game of the season doesn't make much sense to me. Then again, neither does 3rd grade math.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Cincinnati's offense stalled every time they tried to run no huddle. They'd run a draw for seven yards, then sprint to the line of scrimmage and get stuffed or throw an incompletion. I wish we'd seen more of it in the second half.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
I think the highlight of the game was definitely the playing of "Shout" after the announcement of the VMI/Kentucky score. It was the most excited and unified the crowd has been since the '07 Murray State game.
There were a couple of Kentucky fans in the bathroom at halftime - apparently showing your team pride at a game featuring your arch-rival and a school you have no connection with is more important than actually watching your team play - both of whom were promptly greeted with VMI chants and then one guy in the area saying, "don't worry about it man, I'm sure VMI would give Gardner-Webb a hell of a game."
Oh, bathroom shenanigans.
The night was summed up by a message from a friend in the third quarter who said, "We're beating a ranked team on national television and I've gotten four text messages and a voice mail about UK losing to VMI."
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Get well, Vic. Please, god, get well.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
I expected a half-empty stadium once the rain started, but I was really disappointed in the lack of poncho unification. I'm sure they sell red ponchos somewhere, people. Don't settle for green, yellow or blue and think that's OK.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
I don't think we've had a holding penalty on a play that's gone for less than 15 yards all season. Even when Josh Chichester tried, the ball went right to Brock Bolen and he rumbled for 30 yards.
It's not cool, but it's kind of amazing.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
The Cincinnati fans were very loud and impressive. I suppose playing for a conference championship tends to have that effect.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
It would have been nice if the hooligan who played the Tumbleweed game at halftime had had the decency to put his hat on straight.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
The lead official must have told some girl he's trying to impress to watch the game, because he was sure jumping on every possible opportunity to get himself on television.
I made the remark when they went to review the Bolen play that I've never seen a spot challenge overturned in college or the NFL. Spotting the ball is about as much of an inexact science as there is, so finding conclusive evidence to overturn a call should be nearly impossible.
I still haven't seen the broadcast, but a number of people have confirmed that we got hosed, which I guess figures since there's only three weeks left in the season and getting inexplicably reemed by an officiating crew at least once a year was part of the agreement when the Big East offered U of L a spot in the conference.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
I love Mike Mickens. I said it.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Cory Goettsche has really improved as the season has gone on, and deserves at least a little love. One of you send him a card.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Jon Dempsey made two straight hellacious plays. The first when he stripped Jacob Ramsey and then made the recovery, and the second when he came from the outside and caught John Goebel from behind right around the line of scrimmage. If he can bring that fire consistently next season then he could have a hell of a senior year.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
I really don't understand why we had Travis Norton on an island against Dominick Goodman on 3rd and 4 on UC's last scoring drive. I realize that Goodman had gotten the best of Woodny Turenne for most of the game, but No. 9 is still your best option in that situation.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
There was a stretch of about six or seven straight series' where we ran the ball for a short gain on first down and then threw it on second and third down. When we finally mixed it up and ran a reverse and a play-action pass on first down, both plays worked. The offense has to become as unpredictable as it was under Petrino if the coaching staff wants it to be anywhere near as effective as it was under Petrino.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
How the play action, roll to the right, 11-yard comeback play continues to work after we've run it at least 750 times is anyone's guess.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
I miss the keg.

Michigan Officially Having Its Worst Year Ever

by Chris BurkeFiled under: Michigan, Northwestern, Big 10
northwestern.jpg
The University of Michigan has been playing football since 1879 - and no Wolverine team in all that time between then and now has lost more games than this year's bunch.

Michigan bumbled its way to a 21-14 loss at home to Northwestern today, its eighth defeat this season. Never before has a Michigan team reached that level of futility. The 1934 Wolverines finished 1-7, as did the 1936 Michigan team, and the 1962 team wound up 2-7.

That's it. Those are the three losingest seasons that the men in maize and blue have ever produced. At least, until this team hit the skids.

Rutgers And USF Continue to Travel in Opposite Directions

by Chas RichFiled under: Rutgers, South Florida, Big East
rutgershelmets.jpg
One team started the season 1-5 and was widely considered to be regressing back to the way things had long been. The other started 5-0, was ranked in the top-10, and everyone was once more singing the praises of a coach that didn't just build but created the football program at the school.

Yeah, it's safe to say that a lot has changed for both teams since then. Rutgers, with the 49-16 road whipping on USF. has gone 4-0 since. It includes a 20-point road win over top-20 Pitt. Rutgers has rediscovered its offense and QB Mike Teel has something resembling touch on his passes once more. The defense has remained consistent through most of the season which has helped.

For USF, it is a second straight year of a second-half collapse. This time, a 1-4 stretch where the offense has shot itself in the foot continually with turnovers, penalties and not getting into the endzone. The defense has likewise been sloppy and inconsistent.

This game was a microcosm for both teams in the second half stretch. Rutgers' defense was putting constant pressure upfront that completely harassed Matt Grothe and kept him contained. They forced 6 turnovers. The offense was all about the pass as Teel had just under 300 yards. For USF, six turnovers and 10 penalties for 100 yards. The Bulls threw for over 300 yards, but could only get two touchdowns from the offense. The defense was continually burned for big plays.

As strange as it may seem, both teams could end the season 7-5, but Rutgers could finish Big East play 5-2. That record would likely have them finish second in the conference, but it isn't out of the possibility that they could end up finishing with a share of first place in the Big East.

Irish Prove Their Patriotism, Try To Give Game To Navy

from Rakes Of Mallow by mhb
Look, my girlfriend is in the Navy. Her sister is in the Navy. Their father and grandfather were also in the Navy. I've got nothing but respect for the Navy...
BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T PUT IN YOUR BACK-UPS WHEN YOU'RE ONLY UP 20 WITH NINE MINUTES LEFT IN THE GAME!
As I started to write this I couldn't remeber exactly how much time was left when we put Sharpley in. I thought it was 7 minutes tops. Then I went back to espn.com's play chart and OH MY GOD THERE WAS STILL NINE MINUTES LEFT IN THE GAME!

EXPLETIVE! EXPLETIVE EXPLETIVE EXPLETIVE!
The worst thing is that this erases in the minds of the media everything ND did before those final nine minutes. We destroyed them. And all game the announcers are talking about how Navy never quits. THEN WHY DID WE?
I understand that Weis doesn't want to embarrass the academies, but these are men you're playing against, not fifth-grade girls. Taking out your best players doesn't not make other teams feel better. It does make them angrier. And that's fine when you're up 28 with under 5 to play because you're opponent probably has his scrubs in too, but not when they've still got their starters. It's not like things were getting out of hand.
Also, we've apparently never practice how to get an onside kick. The game is over. Navy might've gotten an extra timeout, but they definitely got an extra yard on 3rd and 3 with under a minute. Here ends the live-blogging.
This is not a fire-Charlie post. This is not a Charlie-will-never-suceed post. I still believe Weis is going make this team better and better and better and better. However, all week we heard about how Charlie has never been a head coach before and is still learning. Thanks for illustrating, Weis.
I will say this: If this near snatching of defeat from the jaws of certain victory doesn't teach Charlie to stomp on his opponents' throat when their down, then he never will.
Take this as a valuable lesson, Charlie. It very nearly could've been your last.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Instant Analysis: Texas-Kansas </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
</td> <td width="3" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Matt Zemek
Staff Columnist
Posted Nov 15, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Unlike 2004, the Texas Longhorns didn’t have to sweat out a last-minute victory at Kansas. Like 2004, Mack Brown’s team will need some BCS standings magic in order to get the postseason prize it wants.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">

The boys in burnt orange took care of business against the jolted Jayhawks on Saturday, throwing down a dominating defensive performance to throttle Todd Reesing and the rest of a capable KU crew. As a result of their triumph, the Longhorns didn’t just knock Kansas out of the Big 12 North race; they passed the final road test of their season, taking a big step toward the 11-1 record that will give them a shot at the BCS Championship Game if Oklahoma knocks off Texas Tech next weekend.

Colt McCoy and his offensive teammates were solid on this afternoon, but hardly spectacular. The reason why the Horns hooked Mark Mangino’s men was that their defense stood tall in a rocky first half. Mistakes and misfires from the UT offense didn’t drag down the difference makers on the other side of the ball. At one point in the first half, McCoy fumbled on his own side of midfield, but with Texas hitting hard and preventing Jayhawk receivers from getting any run-after-catch yards, the home team couldn’t dent the scoreboard.

All told, Texas stuffed Kansas on two fourth downs in the first 30 minutes of action, and turned aside the Jayhawks on three separate forays inside the Longhorn 44. With coordinator Will Muschamp getting timely plays from his charges, even in short-field and sudden-change situations, a comparatively meager offensive output of just 14 first-half points still gave Texas a two-touchdown advantage at halftime. But shutting out the Jayhawks early, Muschamp’s defense put the clamps on any hopes of a home-team upset in Lawrence. When McCoy settled down in the third quarter, Texas began to cruise, and now, the only thing separating the Horns from their 11-1 record is a mediocre Texas A&M team, which will have to go into Austin on Thanksgiving night and pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Next Saturday, their two division rivals will take center stage. But at least Texas now knows that when Texas Tech and Oklahoma go at it in Norman, the Longhorns will still be part of the Big 12 South and national title conversations. Today’s win ensured as much.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Auburn Looks to Be Home for the Holidays

by Chas RichFiled under: Auburn, SEC
ttuberville3.jpg
As if the Iron Bowl with Alabama in two weeks wasn't a typically big rivalry game. The possibility of Alabama heading to the BCS Championship and Auburn Coach Tommy Tuberville's shaky job status only added to the hype. Now there is even more pressure for Tommy Tuberville and Auburn.

After the 17-13 loss to Georgia today, the Tigers are 5-6. That puts them on the verge of not being bowl eligible. It means missing out on a bowl trip for the first time since 1999 -- Tuberville's first year. Auburn finished that season 5-6 and 2-6 in SEC play. This season is looking a lot like that as the Tigers are 2-5 in the conference this season heading to the season finale.

As oft discussed, Tuberville has been adept at surviving and deflecting hot seat issues. Whether it was inept backstabbing by the Auburn administration and trustees, well-timed big seasons, continually beating Alabama and just knowing when to throw a coordinator under the proverbial bus. Now, it all seems to be catching up to him in one season.

Knights crush Bulls, Earth's rotation momentarily reverses

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-157027449-1226784574.jpg
Rutgers 49, South Florida 16. A month ago, when USF was barely removed from the top-10 and Rutgers was barely removed from fighting amongst itself, this score would have been inconceivable. Not just unlikely, but actually impossible.
That was before the defense started allowing 93-yard touchdown passes -- one of four Rutgers touchdowns on five second half possessions -- and Matt Grothe turned into a one-man turnover machine. Grothe's three interceptions today give him eight in the Bulls' three-game losing streak; combined with the 11 interceptions he tossed in four losses last year, Matt's officially entered the same "exciting but permanently inconsistent and erratic" zone as Juice Williams. These guys just aren't improving with age.
Here is the situation: Once BCS-bound South Florida is 1-4 since the end of September, with the lone win coming against Syracuse. Over the last month, once hopeless Rutgers has won four in a row. Black is white. Right is wrong. War is peace. There is nothing to see here.

Beanie Wells Hasn't Lost His Hops

by Chris BurkeFiled under: Georgia, Illinois, Ohio State, General CFB Insanity
beanie.jpg
The Heisman campaign of Ohio State running back Beanie Wells sort of fell off the map in the season opener, when he injured his right foot against Youngstown State. Wells then sat out the Buckeyes' next three games - including a blowout loss at USC - and his chance to be named college football's best player went out the window.

Not lost among those paying attention, though, is the fact that Wells is still really, really good.

Wells gashed Illinois for 144 yards and a touchdown in today's Ohio State win. With that effort, and despite playing just eight games this season, Wells is just 42 rushing yards shy of a 1,000-yard season.

And just for good measure, Wells also hurdled an Illinois defender in the Buckeyes' win today - the second time that he's gone for the vertical juke this season. Video of today's leapfrog is after the jump (and apologies in advance for the crappy quality, I'll try to replace with something not involving a camera phone recording a TV shot).

FIVE–OH.

from Every Day Should Be Saturday by Orson Swindle

Smoke. Flames. Bodies everywhere. 56-6. If style points were awarded, they were strictly those of the Grand Guignol/ Marquis de Sade variety, and children should not have been permitted to witness them. If you were the ones being chased through a darkened castle by a man with a broadsword, it was not entertaining; however, if you were the sword-bearer, it most definitely was.
(Also, note to universe: Demps/Rainey/Harvin? UNFAIR.)

Knee Jerk Reaction: Illinois

from Buckeye Commentary by Massey
First Half: Three of Illinois’ first five drives ended in turnovers (including the punt block safety) and less than a minute into the second quarter the Buckeyes had a 16-7 lead that would never get closer. Ohio State had the lead despite giving up huge rushing yards and being out-gained by the Illini.

Each of the Buckeyes first quarter touchdowns followed a giant blunder by Illinois – a Juice Williams fumble and a horrible free kick after the safety – but before the safety the teams were essentially playing dead even. It was the drive after the safety that made it clear that Wells and Pryor were going to be able to run all over Illinois.

Ohio State’s third touchdown drive was the most impressive of the day with Wells starting it off with a 15-yard run, Pryor galloping 35 yards on a scramble, and then Pryor put some sweet touch on a the TD pass to Sanzenbacher. Personally, I thought both of those plays were the best of Pryor’s <s>young career</s> day, respectively.

Interestingly, in the first half Illinois moved the ball at will and Jason Ford and Daniel Dufrene ran right through Ohio State on the way to their lone first half touchdown. Illinois really had the Ohio State defense on its heels with their no-huddle offense.

@ the half: 23-13

Notes –

• I was really surprised to see Tyler Moeller receive the lion’s share of the snaps in Hines absence. I guess I am Donald Washington’s only fan.
  • On consecutive possessions, Illinois and Ohio State punted to start the game. Hartline failed to field the punt and the ball rolled another 15 yards, which resulted in possession beginning at their 17-yard line. When Ohio State kicked virtually the same punt, Benn picked it up after one hop and prevented the ball from bounding down the sideline. This is a huge pet peeve of mine and one more reason why I think Thomas should be back on punt returns. If Hartline is back there (sometimes with another return man) for his hands but fails to catch it, what is the point of putting him back there? Thomas can let the ball roll dead. Personally, I think the coaches have screwed the punt return game.
  • Juice was not very accurate in the first half, but his receivers were consistently bailing him out. Cumberland’s touchdown catch is a great example. The one time his receiver’s did not help was his interception when it looked like the receiver stopped running.
  • I have one thought every time I see Beanie stiff-arm a defender to the ground. “Thank god a stiff-arm is not considered ‘illegal hands to the face.’ Otherwise, Beanie would be the most penalized player in OSU history.”

Second Half: There was no scoring in the third quarter but that does not mean there was no action. Beanie’s hurdle was killer as Hardeman was practically standing up straight. But the Buckeyes seemed to have lost some focus in that quarter as Wells fumbled later in the “hurdle drive” and OSU’s next possession ended in a three and out. Thankfully, the defense stepped up and limited the Illini to 11 plays and 42 in the quarter allowing the offense to regain its rhythm as it headed into the final quarter.

By the time the fourth quarter rolled around, the Ohio State ground game was killing Illinois. In fact, on Ohio State’s last scoring drive every yard was gained on the ground, aside from penalty yardage. The running dominance resulted in the game I had been waiting for all season: the game when Pryor and Wells ran for 250 yards combined.

Perhaps I did not notice in the first half, but it seemed like Ohio State blitzed much, much more in the second half ultimately causing Juice to be benched. Until Illinois’ final drive, Ohio State totally dominated them in the second half.

Final: OSU 30-20

Notes -

• During the game, a friend of mine pointed out that Wells is like Jim Brown in that he always gets up slowly after plays. I had always noticed his tendency, but never made the connection.
  • Personally, I thought Hardeman’s hit on Hartline was a cheap shot but I did not think it was an illegal play. Nor do I think it changed the course of the game, but it had to be a back breaker for many Illinois fans and players.
  • Illinois does not have a great defense but how impressed were you that Ohio State could run the ball 28 out of 30 plays in the second half and still move the ball? Dare I say that the line was run blocking?
  • Despite a well-played game, Ohio State’s defense gave up a ton of yards (as expected) and had a hell of time wrapping up the Illini all day. Is it me, or does Ohio State have MAC-level safeties? Russell, Coleman, and Moeller are not legitimate heirs to Whitner and co. I can see why Hines made some an impact. The competition is so-so.

Very sorry, sir, but it's all Gator Bait now

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-490682066-1226793908.jpg
Florida 56, South Carolina 6. It's harder than it looks to run out of superlatives with this team. You don't even need them, really. Just the facts: Coming into today, South Carolina had won six of seven with a defense that ranked third in the country, and first in the SEC. One snap into the fourth quarter, Florida was averaging nine yards per snap, had nine plays of 15 yards or longer, three of 40 yards or longer and had just scored to go ahead 49-6.
Next week, the Gators host The Citadel. To steal a line from the live blog, there's probably not going to be a point spread on that one.

5 Q's: Did Texas get enough style points?

from Texas Longhorns Football: Orangebloods.com - Texas Football Headlines by Jason Suchomel
The Longhorns needed a convincing win to help their cause in the team's pursuit of the Big 12 and possible national championship, and Texas went out on Saturday and took care of business. Colt McCoy was his usual stellar self, but it was the showing by a banged-up Texas defense that was the most impressive. The Longhorns completely contained the KU offense throughout the game to secure an easy 35-7 win. We answer five key questions from the win inside.

Maryland Wins, and Miami Says 'Thanks'

by Chris BurkeFiled under: Maryland, Miami, UNC, ACC
maryland.jpg
I could sit here and force you to read a bunch of wisecracks about how the ACC has been a bit of a debacle this season. Or I could say this:

If Miami wins its next three games, the Hurricanes will represent the Atlantic Coast Conference in a BCS game.

That once-baffling possibility became reality courtesy of Maryland, which upset North Carolina today, 17-15. The Terrapins win further clouded what was an already murky situation in the conference.

In the ACC Atlantic, Maryland is now (temporarily) tied with Florida State for first - the Seminoles play Boston College tonight, then visit the Terps next week. Wake Forest, which had been tied for first, lost at last-place N.C. State this afternoon.

But the big beneficiery of the Maryland victory - other than the Terps themselves - is, without question, Miami.

Iowa 22, Purdue 17, T-Mill 85 degrees...

from Boilermaker football blog by T-Mill
Today’s weather in Iowa City, according to my phone game tracker, was 37 degrees with a stiff wind and snow flurries. I saw this as I was sitting in brilliant sunshine and 85 degree weather on Miami Beach. In the end I didn’t have the heart to find a place to watch it. I settled for watching the gametracker on the phone and checking out the highlights later online.

It was a much better use of my time.

This loss was like much of our season. We did a few things well, but one major thing led to our defeat. Today we saw glimpses of the Curtis Painter we have needed all along, but the run defense was finally gashed by one of the good backs it faced. A pair of touchdowns were called back due to mental mistakes, and those four points lost on that drive would have been huge in the end if you add a two point conversion. Iowa made some mistakes, but we made bigger ones.
Now the ignominious Bucket game is here. The loser will finish all alone in the basement of the Big Ten. We have to win in order to avoid this fate, but honestly a loss wouldn’t surprise me at this point. It would be the final insult in what has been a dismal season.

Positives from the Iowa game:

Curtis Painter – For what it’s worth at this point, Painter may have won the starting job back if he’s healthy. Siller is obviously the future. It is sad that his numbers were still not that great and he overthrew the end zone on the final play, but we have to think it was one of his better efforts on the season. The present isn’t very bright, but I really hope Painter can have a solid game against the Hoosiers next week. He’s taken a lot of flack this year. Much of it was deserved, but he was still hurt for a good portion of the year too. I’m sure he is as disappointed as anyone. I want him to have a solid final game just so he can end his career on a somewhat positive note. He found the end zone a couple of times with a pair of seniors that also had much-needed good games. He ran the two minute offense well and earned himself more PT in the second half.

Let’s face it, there isn’t a whole lot else to play for this year. If Curtis Painter can give us the best shot against the Hoosiers he should play. If Justin Siller is that player, he should play. We’ll probably see both at least a little, but since we have only one game to play for now I would go with Painter. He deserves a shot at some minor redemption and I think he will get it. The interception as bad at a bad time again, but we’re used to that. Painter moved the offense and produced points for the first time in months. He was far from the reason we lost.

Joe Tiller – Joe sure played like he wanted to win. He channeled his inner Charlie Weis and went for it on fourth down four times, getting all four. I was shocked to see him go for it on 4th and 3 from the eight early on. Even though that was the drive that had a pair of scores called back it was still gutsy. Watching the gametracker allowed little chance to know situations, so I initially thought he was going for it there because of the assumed swirling winds. At least he played for the win. You get the sense that next week will be a kitchen sink game. We have nothing to lose, so throw everything into making it a big party of a win.

Desmond Tardy – It’s another solid day for a guy that some say should have been playing more all along. Desmond Tardy will be missed. He has shown this year that he can be a special player when we get the ball in his hands. Unfortunately, we haven’t done it enough. I will go on record as saying that Desmond will be missed sorely next season. We have some solid guys in Smith and Valentin that look to be the leading receivers for next season, but neither one of them has shown the ability to separate from defenders after the catch like Dez has.

Anthony Heygood – This is another guy that is having a solid year and has a good chance to be our highest drafted player in April. Hey good always seems to be where the ball is and is there for the tackle. The defense got absolutely gashed on the ground today, but Heygood was still good. It is my hope that he is teaching the younger guys how to play by example because we need linebackers desperately next season. That’s even more true since Jason Werner has “A couple of weeks”-ed his way into not playing at all this year.

Negatives from the Iowa game:

Run defense – This is the first time this year we have made a great running back look even better. Last week’s numbers against Ringer were skewed a bit because we generally did a good job of containing him until he broke a big run late. Greene had no such containment. He ran early, ran often, and could have run for more if we had threatened to score more points. I think Frank Duong is still wondering what hit him.

Another clutch Painter interception – As mentioned, it is sad that this was one of Curtis’ better games. The interception came when my phone gametracker decided to stop working. I didn’t see it until the highlights online, but the throw was just retarded. It cost us a chance at three points there, and three there would have meant at least a field goal attempt for the win. I’ve never even played quarterback and I know not to throw into a crowd of people to a not open running back. At least we only have another week of this.

Dumb penalties – They cost us a touchdown twice. Enough said.

Final thoughts:

I didn’t want to say too much because I honestly didn’t watch the game. I have only stats, a two minute highlight package, and the gamtracker to go on. It sounds like this was yet another game we could have won, but we ended up shooting ourselves in the foot again. It is the story of the season and there is no sense in rehashing it. I had a “meh” attitude about this game, and that’s exactly the way it turned out.

We now have to win the Bucket. This season has been awful, but if we lose to an Indiana team that is lucky to have three wins against a crap schedule it will be a stinging insult. We’ve at least been close in a couple of games. The offense has let us down but for the most part the defense has been solid. Indiana has looked awful on both sides of the ball against nearly everyone from Ball State to Minnesota. They can’t run the ball, they can stop the run or the pass, and the passing game has been touch and go. If we cannot beat them in Tiller’s final game (and the final game for one of our best running backs ever) Tiller’s entire legacy will be tarnished.

Some would say it has already been wrecked beyond repair. I say it can be salvaged, but only a little. A lot of what has happened this year has not been totally his fault. He hasn’t forgotten to read other receivers. He hasn’t gotten hurt. He hasn’t quit in the second half of the Notre Dame game. He is not making dumb mistakes that cost us touchdowns like today. It was a perfect storm of suck this year, though ironically we could be a week away from saying we at least beat a ranked team. Should Central Michigan upset Ball State this week they might crack the top 25, making it our best win in four years.

It is terribly sad it has come to that and beating IU for the Bucket for benchmarks in a season. Danny Hope will have to rebuild just as much as Tiller did his first season.

A More Reasoned Response to the Navy Game

from Rakes Of Mallow by Gleason
First of all if you don't recognize the handle, I've recently been hired away from a competing blog - www.creedthoughts.gov.www\creedthoughts - to shake things up a bit here at Rakes. Out of respect for CW, I promise my posts will never infringe on his style. There will be no obscure pop culture references, and I could not hope to approach the depth or frequency of his analysis. For this I apologize. I will however avoid using any <EXPLETIVES!>.

On to the Navy game. What was once an annual feel-good game for everyone involved and an automatic plus-one in the Irish win column has taken a terrible turn for the worse of late. Apparently everyone was put on notice not to take Navy lightly after lass year's embarrassing loss at Notre Dame Stadium - everyone except Charlie Weis, that is.
After a stellar performance in all facets of the game in the third quarter, Rob and I were more than a bit concerned that the Irish coaching staff were willing to send in the reserves with more than nine minutes remaining and only a 20-point lead. Apparently our concerns were justified. The white-knuckle ending of the game will undoubtedly be the highlight of media analysis, more than nullifying any positives in the PR department for either Weis or the team in what was until then a rather mundane and solid performance for the Irish. Fans are frustrated and rightfully so.
First of all some positives from the game:

1. The team was able to recover from two tough losses in a row, and in the end, ugliness aside, the Irish were victorious. At the end of the season, when it comes to bowl selection, this game goes in the win column, and the mismanagement in the fourth quarter will be nothing more than a footnote (and of course fodder for smug remarks from lovable old Mark May).
  2. Schadenfreude is absolutely permitted in sports fandom. Michigan's loss to Northwestern this afternoon solidified their worst season in modern football history. For those of us who unfortunately live in areas with an abundance of Michigan fans, the Wolverines performance this year will most certainly put a stop to any painful reminders of Notre Dame's terrible season last year. When Notre Dame slumps, it's only worse when Michigan is successful.
  3. The defense performed reliably for the majority of the game (let's save the fourth quarter for the negatives column). The defensive line is developing well and making plays. Fortunately, it only took the coaching staff three or four games to realize that John Ryan is nearly incapable of making a tackle. The young-uns had to be allowed to get some reps and make some plays, even if that meant an increase in mistakes. The D-line was my biggest concern coming into the season, and I'm pleased with the development. Not to sell John Ryan short, his best hit of the season was definitely brutal.
  4. Notre Dame rushed for 230 yards, and all of the backs looked pretty solid. Take this with a grain of salt of course. To say that Navy's defensive front is smallish is a gross understatement, but it's still nice to get back to some good old blood 'n guts football, possess the ball, and keep it on the ground.

On to the negatives:

1. The decision to pull the starters with nine minutes remaining was an indictment of Weis' ability to make solid decisions. There's nothing wrong with winning a game emphatically, and whether the players on the other side of the line are CREMINOLES or future United States naval officers, Weis' first responsibility during a game is to ensure a win. MHB mentions this in his rather emotional stream-of-consciousness post below. IF, and this is a big if, Weis' decision was influenced by the fact Notre Dame was playing a service academy, he needs a big reality check.
  2. Our offensive line looked suspect, even against Navy's grossly undersized defensive front. On more than one occasion, our linemen were throttled into the backfield by players who should in no way be capable of manhandling them. I won't mention names. Cough, Dan Wenger. Ok, so I will mention his name, but I'm not convinced he has the strength yet to matchup with top flight defensive tackles or middle linebackers. This bodes very poorly for our prospects with Team Hollywood on Nov. 29. Coach Latina needs to be held accountable for the fact that our offensive linemen, highly touted recruits all of them, are not showing significant progress.
  3. Mental mistakes are a recurring theme this season and that trend continued in the Navy game. The Irish committed six penalties for 72 yards and gave up FIVE (how nauseating is that) turnovers. The coaching staff needs to create a culture within the team in which mistakes are absolutely not acceptable. Why Robert Hughes was square in the middle of our onside kick receiving unit after bobbling his first chance to receive the kick is inexplicable. There's nothing wrong with sitting a player because he makes mistakes. A highly successful coach will get his message across to the team.
  4. Mike Floyd, oh poor Mike Floyd. Let's all hope the injury was minor.

In the end, a win is a win, and we're now bowl eligible ("Out in the West Texas town of El Paso..."). Here's to hoping the team can learn from some of these mistakes. More importantly, lets hope Weis and his staff can do a little bit of soul searching this week, or we might be getting ahead of ourselves by assuming the Syracuse game is a gimme. Like most of you, my patience is running thin with Weis' on-the-job training. Notre Dame's prospects in the next couple seasons are still bright, but our future success is still highly contingent on the ability of the coaches to lead and make good decisions.
Also, apologies for the rather demonstrative post below. I think we were all a bit taken aback by the late-game Navy rally.

We're about to find out how patient Texas A&M can be

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-317378030-1226797179.jpg
Baylor 41, Texas A&M 21. I would like to note here that the last two-thirds of the Aggies' tally is purely cosmetic: Baylor led 41-7 entering the fourth quarter. Four interceptions (in this case, all thrown by Jerrod Johnson) will leave anyone scrambling to put lipstick on one of the more ghoulish pigs in school history, and A&M made it look slightly less ghastly.
You can't lay the humiliating margin on turnovers, though, and that's the real problem here, the real cancer that goes much deeper than a rebuilding year. In a legitimate rebuilding year, a loss to a vastly improved Baylor outfit and its electric young quarterback might just be part of the process. If it was only turnovers, those few plays by an inexperienced quarterback can be corrected with time and maturity. A&M has struggled with Baylor with before. I think they said something along these lines after the loss to Arkansas State.
But there's a big difference between going down in overtime, as the Aggies did in Waco in 2004, and giving up 500-plus yards in (essentially, minus the fourth quarter lipstick) a five-touchdown rout. Coaching transitions don't account for that sort of failure. Against Oklahoma, maybe. Against Baylor, absolutely not. The Bears are the sixth different offense to hang at least 40 on A&M, and it could have been worse if it needed to be. Other teams that have allowed 40 points to Baylor since 2004: the worst Washington State team of the modern era, Northwestern State (twice), Rice, Samford and the worst Oklahoma State team of the last decade. And now the worst Texas A&M team of at least the last 35 years. Mike Sherman's leash must be getting very short.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Instant Analysis: South Carolina-Florida </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Matt Zemek
Staff Columnist
Posted Nov 15, 2008

Steve Spurrier’s first return to the Swamp as South Carolina’s head coach was a lot more suspenseful than this one. After taking his alma mater to the wire in 2006, the Head Ball Coach had no answers on Saturday against Florida, as a fearsome defense removed any suspense from the proceedings while moving Urban Meyer’s Gators one step closer to their dream date with Alabama.

This romp in the Swamp was so decisive for Florida that Tim Tebow was relegated to the background. The Gators needed just 27 total yards to score two of their first three touchdowns, due to turnovers coaxed from an overwhelmed Gamecock team that never stood a chance. With a pick-six from linebacker Brandon Spikes added to the mix, Florida scored 21 points and built a three-touchdown bulge with Mr. Heisman not having to break a sweat. Point-producing defensive dominance enabled Meyer’s men to win another game with ease, staying fresh and fit for the stretch run of their season.

After their loss to Ole Miss, the wounded Gators had to wonder if they’d ever round into form in 2008. But with inspiration from Tebow, who—on the day of that defeat—guaranteed a big-league effort over the remainder of the season, this ballclub has followed its leader to full effect. Florida has answered the call of its Heisman wise-man to such a great degree that the Gators look like the hottest team in America not named Oklahoma.

For a week and a half, Florida will watch the Big 12’s best battle for BCS positioning. With this slaying of South Carolina under their belt, the Gators will gear up for Florida State on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. If they play anything remotely close to how they did today against their old coach, they’re likely to spank the Seminoles and set up that titantic tussle with the Tide.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script> var premiumFlag = 0; </script> <!--end STORY DISPLAY--> <!--GOOGLE TEST DISPLAY--> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://fimserve.scout.com/?placement=fim_scout_story-page-college-cfn2"></script><script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></script><script> window.google_render_ad(); </script><script language="JavaScript1.1" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-fim_scout_js&dt=1226851447742&adsafe=high&oe=utf8&lmt=1226796918&skip=4&num_ads=2&output=js&adtest=off&correlator=1226851447742&channel=fim_scout_story-page-college-cfn%2Cunited-states&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcfn.scout.com%2F2%2F812181.html&ad_type=text&ea=0&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&frm=0&ga_vid=1190561857.1226851448&ga_sid=1226851448&ga_hid=798362903&flash=9.0.124&u_h=768&u_w=1280&u_ah=738&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-480&u_his=1&u_java=true&u_nplug=34&u_nmime=124&dtd=5"></script>

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Instant Analysis: North Carolina-Maryland </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
Staff Columnist
Posted Nov 15, 2008

In a game where two offenses moved the ball slowly, Maryland knew it had North Carolina in a tight spot. A slow-tempo game, after all, is the ultimate domain of a Turtle.

In the first 16 minutes and 14 seconds of Saturday’s crucial ACC encounter between two division leaders, the Terps and Tar Heels tallied 26 total points and moved downfield with appreciable ease. The Tar Heels caught lightning on a 59-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Cameron Sexton to receiver Cooter Arnold, while Maryland accumulated 13 first downs on two flawless scoring marches. It looked as though this game was going to bring a flood of points before the afternoon was over in College Park.

Instead, it produced a flood of precipitation, causing the wells to run dry for both Butch Davis and Ralph Friedgen.

The final 43 minutes and 46 seconds of (in)action witnessed a complete slowdown, as the two offenses that took flight at Byrd Stadium came crashing down to earth. Passes became perilous, the football turned slippery, and field position acquired maximum importance in a rain-filled rumble. The turn of events had a lot to do with the wet weather, but the players on the field—in their first ACC race after their programs had struggled in previous seasons—also succumbed to psychological pressures. With Carolina tallying a lonesome field goal late in the second quarter to take a 15-14 lead, it seemed entirely realistic to think that that one-point lead could hold up throughout the second half.

Given the fact that the Tar Heels enjoyed superior field position in the third and fourth quarters—yet were unable to convert short fields into points—it seemed that Maryland, while thoroughly competitive, would not end up on the sunshine side of this vitally important contest. Someone had to make a splash in slick conditions in order for the Terps to triumph, and with their chances dwindling, receiver Ronnie Tyler became the man who would beat the Tar out of the Heels.

With roughly six minutes left in regulation time, and that nagging extra point still sitting on Carolina’s side of the ledger, Tyler did something tremendous on a third-and-10 for Maryland near midfield. UM quarterback Chris Turner zinged a pass toward the left hash marks, with a UNC defender providing superb coverage. Tyler had to catch a difficult ball in traffic at an odd angle, and that’s exactly what he did. Displaying remarkable hands, amazing dexterity, and a large dose of toughness, Tyler leaped to make an improbable catch before enduring mid-air contact and then slamming into the ground with a hard thud, all while keeping the pigskin firmly tucked into his right arm. The astounding grab pulled the Terps out of their third-and-long ditch, and gave the home team a first down at the Carolina 37. In that moment, Maryland men and women began to sense that their beloved boys would finally score again, for the first time since the second minute of the second quarter.

That sense would prove to be accurate.

Turner and the rest of the Maryland offense smartly moved to the Carolina 8, where kicker Obi Egekeze banged in a 26-yard field goal with 1:39 left to give the Terps their first score in nearly three full quarters. On most days, three points in three quarters leads to a loss, but because of the perseverance and pluck displayed by their defense, Ralph Friedgen’s recruits stuck their Turtle noses in front. When Maryland defender Jamari McCollough picked off Sexton in the final minute, the deed had been done, and Team Tortoise had held off the Tar Heeled hare.

Maryland’s entire defense deserved the game ball after this ballsy and brawny display, but the Terps wouldn’t have taken this tilt without one memorable catch by Ronnie Tyler. The receiver’s rousing play was as significant on the scoreboard as it was athletically impressive, and because of that bit of crunch-time courage, the Terps will now host Florida State next week, with the ACC Atlantic Division championship at stake.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Instant Analysis: Cal-Oregon State </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
Staff Columnist
Posted Nov 15, 2008

The Oregon State Beavers have been the most overachieving team in the Pac-10 over the past five seasons, while the California Golden Bears have been the most underachieving team in the league. Saturday’s game in Reser Stadium proved the point, and as a result, the kids from Corvallis are just two wins away from shocking the football world.

Believe it, America. Oregon State is just two wins away from crashing the Rose Bowl for the first time in 44 years, and it’s because Mike Riley’s men have continued to maximize their talents, while teams like Cal flinch in the midst of manhood-making motivational moments. The Beavers weren’t overwhelmingly good, and they rarely have been in 2008, but they’ve almost always been a step ahead of their Pac-10 opponents, and that’s why a Pasadena pageant is getting that much closer to OSU’s grasp.

Oregon State didn’t seal this win until the final minute, when a pick-six against beleaguered Bear quarterback Kevin Riley put the game out of reach. But while Cal always remained close until the dying moments of this duel, Jeff Tedford’s team could never get over the hump against the better-coached and soundly-schooled Beavers.

Cal sabotaged some of its drives with blunders such as a dropped bomb—a 50-yard gain that wasn’t—a fumble on a fake punt from the Oregon State 39, and a dropped screen pass by star running back Jahvid Best, a fourth-quarter foul-up that dramatically altered the trajectory of the proceedings. But as much as the Bears stumbled precisely when they needed to find a higher gear, it was Oregon State who responded in this game’s more critical moments.

On a day when their offense struggled, and freshman sensation Jacquizz Rodgers didn’t get going until the third quarter, the Beavers used two long kick returns—a kickoff runback by James Rodgers, and a punt return by Sammie Stroughter—to score their first two touchdowns. Quarterback Lyle Moevao—back from an injury that sidelined him for a few weeks—might not have had his very best stuff, but as in previous games, the solid signal caller made the right reads and didn’t get his team toppled with an untimely error.

The quick and surprising power of Jacquizz—the younger Rodgers brother—combined with the moxie of Moevao to bleed the clock for the Beavers in the second half, and with Cal’s offense still inconsistent at this late date in the 2008 season, Oregon State used the shortened game to slowly stack the odds in its favor. Without a reliable passing game, and unable to flip field position in the fourth quarter, the Bears never came close to sniffing the end zone when the Beavers held onto their six-point lead (27-21) for most of the final stanza. The late pick-six inflated the point margin, but it didn’t change the fact that the Beavers entirely deserved to win.

This game retained a fair amount of drama into its latter stages, but when all was said and done, Oregon State clearly outplayed Cal in this game’s most significant situations. That’s why these two programs are headed in manifestly different directions.

Wisconsin Discovers Something Called 'Forward Pass', Beats Minnesota With It

by Mark HastyFiled under: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Big 10
dustin-sherer-240-sm.jpg
Paul Bunyan's Axe will spend another winter in Madison after a game that might not appear on either team's season highlights video.

If you heard that the Badgers were held to 116 yards rushing by the Gophers, you'd probably assume the Badgers lost. But not today. The long-dormant Badger passing game didn't exactly explode today, but Dustin Sherer threw the ball well enough to make up for the largely absent running game.

Okay, it wasn't completely absent. PJ Hill did have 117 yards on 24 carries. And, with a 58% completion percentage, it's not like Sherer has anybody saying "Graham who?" Only the final score counts, though, and Wisconsin had the bigger one, 35-32.

If you only saw the first half of this game, you're little surprised by that. The Badgers fumbled four times in the first half and lost three of them. Minnesota could only turn one of those turnovers into point. though. The Badgers were lucky they were only down 21-7 at halftime.

Luck turned the other way in the second half. Two Wisconsin safeties, one on a fumbled kickoff and the other on a sack of Adam Weber, made the difference not just for the game but for both teams' seasons.

Missouri Wins Big 12 North, Which Still Exists

by Mark HastyFiled under: Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Big 12
chase-daniel-180-sm.jpg
It's okay if you forgot the Big 12 had two divisions. Ever since Missouri lost to Oklahoma State and Texas on successive weekends, both the Tigers and the division they call home have been nearly invisible.

Since you forgot about the Big 12 North, you probably also thought that Missouri had locked up the division title a couple weeks ago. In fact, the Tigers needed Kansas to lose to Texas today to make it possible for them to clinch. All they had to do was beat Iowa State, who came into the game 2-8 and winless since September 6.

No problem on both counts. Texas made it look easy, beating the Jayhawks 35-7 in a game that wasn't even that close. The Tigers knew this before their game kicked off and knocked the Cyclones all the way from Ames to Keokuk, winning 52-20.

So the Tigers win the division no matter what happens against Kansas in two weeks. They'll face whoever survives the South, but whoever it is, Mizzou will be the underdog, and probably a sizable one. Given the strength of the South, the Tigers could slip all the way to the Holiday Bowl. And as for the rest of the division?

LSU's season: Halfway to Code Blue vs. Troy

Scroll down or click here for the Doc's weekly game day live blog. I don't know how this game is going to end up, but for the record, here's the stat line for LSU's quarterbacks in the first half of the burgeoning debacle against Troy:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-942837079-1226806445.jpg
Lee's already added to one of the truly incredible stats of the year, tossing his seventh interception run back for a touchdown on the season, but the disaster is all-encompassing. Troy's outgained LSU 254-65, mounted scoring drives of 87, 67 and 53 yards and held the Tigers to two first downs with seven three-and-outs.
Just for fun, a loss to the Trojans would give teams from the SEC losses on the season to teams from the Sun Belt, the Mountain West (Wyoming over Tennessee), the WAC (Louisiana Tech over Mississippi State) and the bottom of both the Pac-10 (UCLA over Tennessee) and ACC (Duke over Vanderbilt).
The good news (or maybe the bad, depending on how things unfold): There's still half to go. They can make up three touchdowns in a half, right?

Now It Can Be Said: Bowl Eligible Vanderbilt

by Chas RichFiled under: Kentucky, Vanderbilt, SEC
vandyline.jpg
It is not the apocalypse. It is not the end of days. It may have something to do with the global recession, but that probably just a coincidence. Vanderbilt got that elusive sixth win with a 31-24 win over Kentucky to become bowl eligible.

For the first time since 1982, Vandy will finish with a .500 or better record. They will finish no worse than 4-4 in the SEC this year. They will have their first crack at going to a a bowl game since the 1982 Hall of Fame Bowl (the Commodores lost to Air Force).

Vanderbilt did it much like they did when they started the season 5-0. They ran the ball (44 carries for 228 yards) and controlled the clock (almost 40 minutes on offense). When they did throw, it was short and not particularly pretty (15-27, 156 yards). It worked well enough, and Vandy held on for the win.

Lots of smoke but no fire

from Conquest Chronicles by Paragon SC

<center> </center><center>
</center><center>AP Photo/Paul Sakuma via ESPN

</center> Lightning did not strike twice but storm clouds were forming. I almost turned this game off in the second quarter I was so pissed at this performance. I did not want Wilner to prove me wrong...so lets call it a draw he was right in the first half I was right in the second half.
This team beats he heck out of me. I know the defense is the best in the nation but you can expect them to get it done every game. They are bound to have an off night so the offense needs to get the stuff together and make some plays.The O-line was pushed around in the first half causing Sanchez to be Sacked 3 times that's what started to piss me off. Sanchez had a pedestrian performance going 11 of 17 for 136 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions. SC had 416 total yards of offense with jst about all of it coming in the second half.
The defensive line had some trouble getting penetration and the let Stanford run all over them. I really thought that SC would stack the box early to stop Gerhart and force Pritchard to throw it but the defense dared them to run it and they run they did. Stanford had 156 yards of rushing in the first alone but SC shut their running game in the second half. Stanford also used that zone-read option a few times that burned SC for some yards as well.
RoJo and CJ had some great kick returns, with CJ scoring a TD on one, but it was the running game that really came alive in the second half and really wore the Stanford defense down.
There are going to be some complaints about this game and there will once again be a lot of questions sbout the offense but SC now has next week off to prepare for Notre Dame and make no mistake there will be some bad blood for that game. So, thats it in a nutsell we'll have more tomorrow or Monday. Leave your comments here...this is our post game thread.

Our long national nightmare is at an end: Vandy a loser no more

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-733261398-1226811074.jpg
Vanderbilt 31, Kentucky 24. Of this year's quasi-revivals among some of the most inept, long-suffering programs in the country, for the most part, nothing really changed. Baylor and Duke were more competitive, certainly, and looked like competent programs under first-year coaches. But the Bears are already assured of another losing record, despite their pantsing of Texas A&M this afternoon, and unless Duke pulls off back-to-back shocker s over Virginia Tech and North Carolina, it's just another last place season for the Devils, complete with seven straight conference losses to close the year. But as Bob Davie said in the closing seconds, Vanderbilt's first .500 season -- almost certainly including its first bowl bid since 1982 -- is like a refrigerator off the Commodores' backs. A huge, industrial-sized, meat-packing refrigerator stuffed with the bodies of Watson Brown, Gerry DiNardo, Ron Dowhower and Woody Widenhofer, among others. Even the relatively beatified Jay Cutler fell short with losses to Middle Tennessee and a rock-bottom Kentucky outfit in 2005, the gold standard season for how quickly and thoroughly everything can collapse, and for demonstrating how staunchly the stars (recruiting and otherwise) were aligned against the Dores, no matter the circumstances.
Bobby Johnson has broken through with wins over Steve Spurrier and Tommy Tuberville in the same season, with Chris Nickson and Mackenzi Adams as his quarterbacks and a roster full of kids who weren't even alive the last time Vandy was in a bowl, and subsequently should have a job for life if he wants it. In the meantime, they'd better get their 25 years' worth of enjoyment while they have the chance.

LSU wins. Now it would like to get off this season, please.

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-732092329-1226813507.jpg
LSU 40, Troy 31. In context, I don't think it's a stretch to call LSU's first half the worst half in school history (at least since the Auburn interception debacle of 1994). A three-touchdown deficit to a Sun Belt team, two first downs, seven three-and-outs on offense, another killer pick six from Jarrett Lee, etc. No offense to Troy, but LSU's season -- to the extent that it could still be considered a marginal success after three losses to top-10 rivals -- might have ended right there. Or it might have ended when Troy took the opening kickoff of the second half 79 yards to go ahead 31-3, or when the Tigers failed on fourth down on their subsequent possession. But it didn't: LSU scored on its last six drives, five of them for touchdowns, just because it's LSU against Troy and that's what needed to happen. Lee turned "readymade scapegoat" into a solid game, the Trojans went six straight possessions without earning a first down and the Tigers rolled up 30 points in the fourth quarter alone. So they're winners, they offset the horror of the first half, everything is exactly where it was before the opening kickoff, right where it's supposed to be. There's still a January bowl in the near future and a fighting chance at 10 wins for the fourth year in a row, easily a school record (Les Miles is the first LSU coach to even win 10 in two straight seasons).
I'd be surprised, though, if Tiger partisans remember the Year of the Pick Six for anything remotely positive since the tense but rapidly depreciating win over Auburn. A 28-point comeback is exciting business, but the necessity of it in the first place exposed just how close LSU is to losing its grip in Auburn-esque fashion. The Tigers finish with Ole Miss and Arkansas, where the only goal in either case should be just getting out of this season alive.

Texas fan rejects Jayhawk angst

One last shot for the day, courtesy a festively-costumed but disgruntled Kansas fan after replay officials awarded a key fumble to Texas in the first half. It's not his sufficiently-forewarned gesture that gets me -- cameras are catching the offensive salute on a weekly basis this year -- but the woman next to him, who, even on enemy turf, will not tolerate:
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9UE5xreaBgU&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
Keep him in line, ma'am: The call was obvious and correct. When they boo the good ones, too, it undermines all forms of jeering. As fans, what do we have if not the lusty disapproval of injustice, as well as attempts to score with the rival chick who happens to be sitting next to us? Just bad form all the way around.

Utes crush Aztecs, bring on BYU!

from Block U by JazzyUte
The Utes did what they needed to do against San Diego State, easily winning 63-14 and now we officially enter RIVALRY WEEK!
All I can say is screw BYU and let's kick some Cougar ass to a 12-0, BCS busting season! The past two years have seen the Utes lose in heartbreaking fashion and I think I speak for every Utah fan when I say: Not. This. Time.
With their victory over the Aztecs Saturday, the Utes claimed at least a share of the conference championship (the first to do so) and can win it outright Saturday against BYU.
I'll have more on this game later and a lot more on BYU, but for now, enjoy the win and let's ready ourselves for a huge Holy War!​
via d.yimg.com
via d.yimg.com
via d.yimg.com

A Good Night In Seattle

from Bruins Nation by Nestor
We all knew about the drama heading into this game:.
Given all the distractions that was around this game from CRN's return to Seattle, Bruins pull off a very impressive win. Bruins roll over the the winless Huskies by a score of 27-7. They came out strong by scoring a TD by Derrick Coleman in a beautiful opening drive:

Photo Credit: AP Photo/John Froschauer (via ESPN)
The Huskies showed a little life early on (thanks to what has become the usual Craft TOs) but our boys clamped down and pull off a satisfying win. Here is the AP recap and box score.
The defense was dominating, highlighted by monster play of Akeem Ayers and tremendous contributions from Moore, ATV, Norris, Harwell, Price, Carter and rest of the gang.
On the offensive side a solid night for our OL who generated a decent running attack. DC got things going early and then Bell came through with a gutty performance rushing for 98 yards in 25 carries.
Yes, we get the fact that the Huskies are a terrible football team. Yet, that shouldn't diminish what our young Bruins accomplished tonight by taking care of business while drama was swirling around the return of their head coach to his previous home.
Bruins still have a shot at a bowl game. If they can use the momentum from tonight by focusing even harder and pull off a win against ASU, they just might position themselves for a memorable ending to CRN's first season. Here is to hope.
Thread away in our post game thread.
GO BRUINS.

Tv Tan Line College Football Saturday in Review

from Tv Tan Line by scotty
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&RGB=0x000000&feed=http%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2Fmugsydog%2Falbumid%2F5269151084337245297%3Fkind%3Dphoto%26alt%3Drss" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="267">Popout

HELL YEAH BITCHES!!! Baylor absolutely destroyed Texas A&M and this perma-grin will not go away. Don't let the final score fool you, A&M scored some garbage TDs. Yeah that is right, Baylor went easy on the aggs...I'll try to compose myself for a few thoughts.

* Does anyone think Florida might have a good team? FU was all over those cocks 21-0 before some had taken their seats ... and Tebow didn't have much to do with that. Console my boy snead here
* Texas took out Kansas as they should have. The D shut down the Jayhawks on four 4th down attempts... Solid (* as I hold a black power fist in the air)
* Oregon St. could nudge out USC for the Rose Bowl birth by beating Arizona and Oregon in the next few weeks
* Did I mention Baylor beat Texas A&M? (* Still grinning)
* I spotted a few snow flakes today which are always a welcome sight.
* Tonight Yale dines in hell!!!!!
* Iowa was a winner Mac G will be happy with that
* Ohio St. was a winner Busted Coverage will be happy with that
* Texas Tech had the night off, but at #2 Disco Tech will be happy with that
* And a special thanks to the Wiz for general awesomeness

(*Still grinning)

Image c/o some self-loathing aggie

Utah notebook: Utes don't want to think about 'what if'

By Dirk Facer
Deseret News

Published: November 16, 2008
SAN DIEGO — What if Utah's Bowl Championship Series hopes are derailed by BYU next Saturday at Rice-Eccles Stadium? It's a scenario Utah fans likely don't want to hear about.
Anything less than a trip to the Fiesta, Orange, Rose or Sugar bowls wouldn't sit well at this point.
A win over the Cougars is pretty much all that stands in the way of the Utes' second BCS berth since 2004.
A loss, however, would alter the landscape significantly — and probably bring the Utes back to Qualcomm Stadium for a second straight appearance in the Poinsettia Bowl. They defeated Navy, 35-32 in last year's game.
Larry Baber, president of the Holiday Bowl committee which oversees the game, said such a scenario is possible because he believes the Las Vegas Bowl would take BYU with the first pick it has of Mountain West Conference teams. The Poinsettia Bowl has the second selection.
"Then we would get Utah," Baber said. "We'd be fine with that. How could we argue with an 11-1 team?"
Though having the same team back for a second consecutive year is not ideal, Baber acknowledged it would be in such a circumstance.
"We wouldn't pass over them for TCU," he said. "What are our other choices? Utah would be it."
The most likely opponent? A team from the Western Athletic Conference because the Pac-10 likely won't have enough bowl-eligible teams to meet its contractual obligation to the Poinsettia Bowl.
Boise State tops the list, but would likely go to the BCS if Utah loses to BYU.
If the Utes prevail, the Poinsettia Bowl has hopes of pitting the Broncos against BYU or TCU.
"There's been conversations," Baber said of the possibilities.
"Obviously there's a lot of things that have to happen. But it is nice to fantasize."
QUALCOMM FUTURE: SDSU officials had to secure a "special two- game permit" in order to play Saturday's game at Qualcomm Stadium. It'll also cover next week's visit by UNLV as the school and stadium officials negotiate a new pact. A long-term deal between the parties expired at the end of the 2007 season and led to a pair of special permits this year — a four-game agreement and then the latest deal.
A stadium official told the San Diego Union-Tribune that the current negotiations have been "very difficult" and "very, very frustrating."
The newspaper reports the city lost approximately $310,000 hosting SDSU football games over 2006 and 2007 and is no longer interested in "subsidizing" the Aztecs.
"I'd hate to be in a position where we might say 'Sorry, but the stadium's not available next year.' But it could be," Jeff Jeffery of the Qualcomm Stadium advisory board told the Union-Tribune.
SDSU athletic director Jeff Schemmel, however, told the newspaper a deal would eventually be done.
"It has been slower than we hoped it would be, but not because both sides haven't been working hard to get it done," Schemmel said.
"There is not a single bit of doubt, nor has there ever been any doubt, that we're getting this done."
SDSU's football future is a concern, however, because there are no other facilities in the area large enough to host games.
Hill declined to speculate on the matter, but wasn't overly concerned about it.
"Jeff's pretty much on top of those things," he said. "I would have to defer to what he says about it."
EXTRA POINTS: Utah's 12-game winning streak is tied with Alabama and Texas Tech for the longest-active run in the nation ... The Utes held SDSU to just 22 yards rushing over the second, third and fourth quarters ... The attendance was generously announced as 19,342 ... Former baseball star Mark Grace and ex-NFL standout Isaac Curtis were among a group of athletes inducted into SDSU's Athletic Hall of Fame at halftime ... Representatives from the Holiday and Poinsettia bowls attended the game, as did scouts from the New England Patriots and New York Jets ... Safety Joe Dale led the Utes with six tackles ... Brian Johnson threw for more than 200 yards for the 19th time in his career. He also had his 50th touchdown pass ... Former Ute Eric Weddle of the San Diego Chargers, who spent time with his ex-teammates during last year's Poinsettia Bowl, wasn't in town this time around. The Chargers are in Pittsburgh for a game on Sunday.

Paul Bunyan's What, Brad Nessler?

Saturday, November 15, 2008

A hilarious exchange took place during the UNC-MD game this evening. As Brad Nessler was talking about the Minnesota-Wisconsin game he tried to mention the trophy that both teams play for in the rivalry, Paul Bunyan's Axe. Nessler, however, called it something else and Bob Griese was there to question him....

<center><object width="425" height="355">

<embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/k4MJNZOygDyZw6QhJb&related=1&canvas=medium" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="425" height="355"></object>
</center>

Pretty sure that was a Paul Bunyan's "Ass" that Nessler said the Gophers and Badgers were playing for. He tried to save it there, but I don't think he quite did. Too funny.

Sexy Saturday: Miss Hooters Wisconsin 2007 and 2008 Krissy Marie

Published by Natty at 11:00 am under Sexy Saturday

My name is Krissy and I won the title of Miss Hooters Wisconsin 2007 and 2008, since then things have really started to take off for me. Thanks everyone for all our support with voting and for watching me on the Hooters International Swimsuit Pageant. You have all been a great help! My next adventure will hopefully be getting into a couple of magazines like Playboy, Maxim, and FHM, so watch for this face!
I don’t know about you guys but I’d say I’m 100% rooting for Krissy to make it into Playboy. But I’d also have zero problems seeing her in Penthouse as well.
In the meantime I’m more than happy to check in on her Myspace Profile from time to time.
More of Miss Hooters after the jump

Lessons Learned

from Conquest Chronicles by Paragon SC
Strange things come in odd packages.
For three years we have watched USC start off sluggish only to right the ship with 2nd half adjustments that grab the win. How many of you wanted to throw yourself off a bridge when SC went down 21-0 to Oregon St.? How many of you wanted to scream at the top of your lungs to get this team a kick in the pants and turn it around. Well they did briefly in that game in Corvallis but they never seemed to get over the hump until it was too late.
Last night we saw some of the same things. Missed tackles, ineffective pressure on the QB and soft coverage in the passing lanes. All of these allowed Stanford to rack up 156 yards rushing in the first half and 17 points on the board. It looked like Corvallis all over again and once again I wanted to throw myself of the GWB and scream at the top of my lungs to make the adjustments.Thankfully, this time they figured it out.
“We came together in the second half,” senior linebacker Brian Cushing said. “We weren't down, 21-0, either.”
That was the halftime deficit in Corvallis that USC couldn't overcome. This time the Trojans fought through their struggles and forged a halftime tie that made them feel as if they had hit the restart button.
“Coming back in the second half,” junior guard Alex Parsons said, “we're thinking it's a 0-0 game.”
USC played like a different team, seizing control of the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball to remain alive for the Rose Bowl or a BCS berth.
That was missing in Corvallis but had we not had our teeth kicked in up in Corvallis we may not have have learned those lessons that helped us overcome our poor play last night. Don't get me wrong, I am still not happy about las night's first half performance but the team dug down deep and figured out what needed to be done to turn it around.
On the BCS...
I have been saying for weeks that SC was out of the BCS Title chase if for no other reason SC just didn't impress the voters with dominant performances. Nobody cares about 3 shut-outs when two of the three come against two of the worst teams in Division I. The ASU shut-out would have been more impressive had SC not struggled in the second half with 4 Mark Sanchez turnovers. The fact is SC is either going to the Rose Bowl if Oregon St. loses a game or they have a 50/50 chance of being an at-large team in the BCS if the Beavers win out.
Its easy say that if SC didn't lose in Corvallis they would control their own destiny in regards to the title chase but if SC goes to some other bowl other than the Rose or as a BCS at-large team it will once again show just how flawed the system is. Sure, props to OSU for their win in Corvallis but could you imagine a a Rose Bowl rematch with OSU and PSU?
At this point SC does not deserve a shot at the championship game, but if the BCS is about the best teams and the best match-ups then they once again need to look at how they get the best teams and best match-ups because this aint it. I get it about tradition but no one wants to see USC play tOSU in the RB anymore than they want to see Ore. St. play PSU in the RB. I am not sayng that Ore. St. doesn't deserve it if they win out but does anyone really want to see those games? Heck the Holiday bowl might be a better BCS game than the Rose Bowl on sheer talent alone.
One other thing that is on my mind. How in Gods name is Texas BEHIND Oklahoma in the coaches poll last week?! If we are going to criticize the writers for some of their picks the coaches need to be taken to task for their bone head picks. Some of those guys need to have their membership cards pulled.
It just shows how flawed the whole system is...

Beanie Wells ascends, contemplates the limits of mortality

For unfortunate viewers who weren't watching the third quarter of Ohio State's win over Illinois, the following is not a precise account of 235-pound Chris Wells' spectacular hurdle of Illini safety Donsay Hardeman as it was actually broadcast by humans with very limited powers of description. Artistically, however, it is a truer recreation than mere journalism could ever provide:
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1opisGofQiY&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
All that's missing are the bullets he avoided in mid-flight, while sharing a humorous anecdote with Terrelle Pryor via telepathy. But the essence remains.

Sunday Hangover: Too Much Florida Fawning?

by Ray HollomanFiled under: Florida, SEC
83706664.jpg
Miss any of Saturday's action? Get the storylines and implications every Sunday morning with a shot of humor, two of vermouth and a pot full of what's suspected to be either coffee or the pureed remnants of Tulsa's defense.

The only problem is that we have to wait.

And it's not just any kind of wait. It's a the-cable-company-will-be-here-shortly wait. It's sitting-through-an-MLS-match-boring kind of wait. It's a morning economics lecture, spend an afternoon in the dentist waiting room with Al Gore, Christmas morning won't ever come, kind of wait.

For that we have Florida to thank. And Florida to blame.

Week 12 was bland, dull and full of all the flavor of hospital pudding as game after game played by a script Baywatch might have found predictable. By mid-day, Joe Paterno probably wasn't the only one considering napping instead of football.

And then, in the middle of a sea of the non-descript, there was Florida's 56-6 tattooing of South Carolina.

There was Steve Spurrier looking more flabbergasted than Sarah Palin when she realized Africa was a continent and not just a Toto song. There was Percy Harvin blowing the Gamecock secondary out of the television frame like Usain Bolt had just decided to stage an impromptu race with your living room couch. And there were the Gators, running, running and running more like they were headed for a Black Friday sale.

But as sublime as Florida's win was against the landscape of the blindingly mundane, it only reminded us that we'll still have to wait. Wait, that is, to see just how good this Florida team is against someone its own size.

Back