CFB Week 10 (10/28-11/2) Picks and News

A Defining Week for Auburn Football

from Track Em Tigers by Jay Coulter

These are not the best of times for Tommy Tuberville.

Good morning and welcome to week nine of the great collapse of 2008. If you haven't lost your money already, you've certainly lost your team. Auburn begins this week with what is probably its biggest game of the year - and for all the wrong reasons.​
With four games remaining and two against top 10 opponents, Auburn's only real chance of reaching Shreveport or some other dark destination is stealing a win from Houston Nutt's Ole Miss Rebels. I shake my head just writing that sentence.
When the odds are posted this morning, Auburn will be an underdog. The Rebels won a squeaker over Arkansas on Saturday, 23-21. Both teams will bring in matching 4-4 records overall and both are 2-3 in conference play.
After giving the Auburn players the weekend off, Tommy Tuberville held a late evening practice on Sunday. The focus this week will be on how to play four quarters, something that's eluded the Tigers all season. Somebody joked over the weekend that Auburn is the top ranked team in the country through two quarters. Sad but true.
Coaches and players are having a hard time explaining the second half failures. "We just have to play a full game, four quarters, and find a way to finish so we have to just keep getting better," says center Jason Bosley. "We just have to take the next step and play four quarters instead of two," he says. Thanks for stating the obvious.
The Tigers have owned Ole Miss in recent years, winning the last four games and seven in a row in Oxford. The game kickoffs at 11:30 a.m. CT from Oxford, Mississippi and will be televised by Raycom Sports.
Today's column appears at Talkin' Tigers.com. If you subscribe, it should already be in your inbox. If you don't see it, be sure to check your spam folder. Don't forget to sign your friends up if they are not already members.
Below is a story that was written for Talkin' Tigers last week. We had a glitch and many of you did not receive it. I want to run it again because it's a great story about three Auburn graduates who live in Hollywood and spread the Auburn spirit through a variety show that's on radio stations and podcasts across the country. It's an interesting read. Check it out here...
Auburn Football Goes Hollywood

Southern California is not the first locale that comes to mind when talking about Southeastern Conference football. In Hollywood, it's a safe bet that few know the difference between Tommy Tuberville and Tommy Bahama. So what's a group of Auburn fans in Tinseltown to do come football season?
Simple: create a Hollywood Tiger Mafia.
Stacy and Tommy Smeltzer, along with friend, Lynne Hatcher are three Auburn graduates living in Hollywood and working hard to spread the Auburn Spirit to displaced Tiger fans all over the world. What started as three friends gathering in Los Angeles to watch Auburn football games has grown into a widely popular, syndicated weekly variety show that's available on iTunes and Podcast Alley, as well as on Wings FM 100.3 in Auburn during morning and afternoon drive times on Fridays throughout football season.
Hollywood Tiger Mafia, as the show is called, originated from couch conversations that took place during Auburn games. "Hollywood is such a different place from the South," said Stacy ('87). "It's not traditional. We don't have anybody to commiserate with; people here don't care about Auburn football.
"Before the 2002 Iron Bowl we decided to invite Lynne ('86) over to watch the game," she said. "I remember her saying, 'I'd be happy to come over for the holiday'. We knew exactly what she meant.
"So from there, the three of us started getting together to watch all the Auburn games. We dress up and have themed parties such as serving pork when we play Arkansas or upscale fine dining when we play Vanderbilt. We have a lot of fun with it."
Stacy said it was Lynne's idea to start the variety show. "We'd crack jokes all through the game and couldn't stop laughing," said Stacy. "One day, Lynne said, 'you know we're funny. We should do a show.' So I just kept pressing after that until we finally did it."
As you may have guessed, all three are in the entertainment business. Tommy ('87) does voice-overs and acts while Stacy is a broadcast producer, putting together numerous television ads. Lynne is also a noted actress. So it wasn't a stretch for the trio to go from laughing at one another's jokes to making it happen in the studio.
Tommy's voice may sound familiar. Prior to moving to Los Angeles in 2001, he was the voice viewers heard as a show was concluding. "I was the 'coming up next on TBS' guy," said Tommy. Listening to him, you can understand why. He has the classic read-over voice, never imagining that he attended Auburn and hails from Columbia, South Carolina. He's also appeared on camera in episodes of Boston Public and Charmed.
Doing a weekly show in the studio brings back a lot of memories for Stacy and Tommy. They met while working at WEGL, the student radio station on campus. Tommy was the station's production manager, responsible for training all new on-air talent. Stacy wanted to be a DJ. The rest is history. "I remember laughing when I heard his last name," Stacy said. "It sounded so funny. Little did I know what the future held."
Listening to Hollywood Tiger Mafia, you realize immediately this is not an amateur production with a group of friends sitting around the laptop computer. The quality is as good as any program you'll hear from any source. Because of Tommy's line of work, he has a studio built into his home that comes in handy on Tuesday nights when the show is taped. "I wanted to raise production value and not sound like many of the other podcasts out there," Tommy said.
So how does a show come about and how long does it take to put together?
"After the game, we sit around and ask questions like, 'how are we feeling?' and what's the scuttlebutt going to be this week," Stacy said. "Most importantly, we ask ourselves how we can make it funny. Finally, somebody will throw something out that works.
"One of us will write a script and send it around by email and we'll mark through it and make suggestions until finally we are satisfied," she said. "Lynne is our Auburn encyclopedia. She knows everything about the school. If we have a question about someone, we ask her."
Following the Tennessee game a few weeks back, Stacy noted that, "Auburn people were down even though we won the game." From that observation came a hilarious parody using Dr. Phil as a character examining why Auburn fans felt down even after beating rival Tennessee. Rich Little has nothing on Tommy. He nailed the impersonation.
All three friends gather in Tommy's studio on Tuesday night for the big taping. Once completed, the production work is done and the tape is sent to Wings FM and loaded onto iTunes and Podcast Alley. Finally, another week in the books. A show can take up to 20 hours to write, edit, tape and produce.
Lately, the program has taken on a family feel with son Nathan, 13, taking part in the show. Stacy says they are doing their best to raise him as an Auburn fan. "We make him wear his Auburn jersey," she said. "One time when he was grounded and couldn't watch television, we let him watch the Auburn game. We're doing everything we can to make him a fan. Who knows, he may go to Auburn one day."
During a season where there's been little to smile about on the Plains, three Auburn fans who are more than 3,000 miles away are doing their part to make everyone smile a little more. For that, we should all be thankful.

Why Can't NFL Fans Celebrate Like That?

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
Celebrate_at_NU_.jpg

Morning Coffee Is #1 For One More Week

from Burnt Orange Nation by PB @ BON
hornbullet.gif
Texas stays atop BCS Standings. Not that it's a surprise, but the Longhorns will kickoff in Lubbock as the #1 team in the BCS Standings. Texas earned all but a handful of human #1 votes and scored perfect with the computers to maintain their comfortable margin over Alabama and Penn State. As several Texas players said after the 'Horns hard-fought victory over OSU, the brutal schedule is a blessing in that regard--win and their in.
Texas Tech enters the week #7 in the BCS despite a #5 ranking in both the Harris and Coaches polls--their relatively manageable schedule-to-date hurting them significantly with the computers. Red Raider fans shouldn't lose any sleep over it: If Tech dispatches of Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in November, the computers will love them dearly.
hornbullet.gif
Bonkers, Part 1. Jordan Shipley and Quan Cosby's numbers this season are getting ridiculous:
Shipley--58 catches, 737 yards, 10 TDs
Cosby--56 catches, 688 yards, 4 TDs

hornbullet.gif
Bonkers, Part 2. With his 38-45 performance passing Saturday, Colt McCoy actually managed to better his season completion percentage, which now sits at 81.8 through 8 games. There aren't words to describe this; it's too surreal.
hornbullet.gif
C. Brown x 2. A week after reminding Texas fans that they had a defensive back as freakishly athletic as Missouri's Jeremy Maclin, sophomore Curtis Brown got his first start in place of the injured Chykie Brown. His reward? An afternoon chasing Dez Bryant, that other superfreak receiver in the conference. Curtis done did good, helping hold OSU's explosive playmaker to just 74 yards on 6 catches--no scores.
With Curtis' arrival, Chykie Brown was able to rest a tender ankle on Saturday, which will help enormously this coming Saturday when both are expected to be at full strength for yet another incredible test--Michael Crabtree and the Red Raiders. It won't be easy, but as Texas hits the home stretch, the young talent that excited fans for a 2009 title run is realizing that potential... except the team has reached November without a defeat. The title run is here, now, in Lubbock on Saturday. Thank God for both C. Browns.
hornbullet.gif
Gazelles rolling. With their 3-0 sweep of BYU on Friday, the #3-ranked Gregory Gazelles enter Wednesday evening's home contest versus OU on a 10-match winning streak (which includes a 3-1 pounding of the Sooners in Norman). Assuming the Gazelles can stay hot and win their next six (KSU looking like the toughest test), a monster shodown in Austin with 19-0 Nebraska looms as the biggest match of the season.
hornbullet.gif
Quick Hits. Your best Texas Tech blog destinations this week are at Double T Nation and The Tortilla Retort... Scipio Tex wonders about the implications of MB-TF's awesomeness (My question: why are people still paying $100 a year for Texas news and analysis?)... Adam Jones' Top 10--stellar as always... Sagarin Ratings update: #1 ELO-CHESS (no margin of victory), #4 Predictor (MOV-included), #18 SOS... Dr. Saturday breaks down the BCS race heading forward... Texas opens a 5 point favorite in Vegas.

Tech Week Launch: The 10 Most Impressive Red Raiders Stats

from Burnt Orange Nation by PB @ BON
In no particular order...
1. Texas Tech Sacks Allowed: 3 -- Remarkable for any offense, of course, and a good indicator of what the Red Raiders like to do--strike fast. Quarterback Graham Harrell has improved in this regard from a year ago, when he went down behind the LOS 18 times. Though the Red Raiders schedule is backloaded, they're all but assured to finish beneath that total this year.
2. Texas Tech Yards Per Rush: 5.4 -- A year ago, the Red Raiders only managed 3.13 yards per carry (19 carries per game). This year, they're up a full 2 yards per carry on 7 more attempts per game (25). That helps enormously their already potent passing game.
3. Texas Tech Opponents 3rd Quarter Points: 20 -- A year ago, the Red Raiders allowed just 44 points in the quarter following halftime. Statistical oddity or some kind of trend? I dunno. But 20 points is 20 points. SolidT.
4. Texas Tech Yards Per Catch: 12.2 -- At 34 completions per game, that adds up real fast.
5. Barron Batch Yards Per Touch: 9.01 -- 72 rushes for 545 yards (7.5 ypc) and 24 receptions for 321 yards (13.4) = Awesome.
6. Texas Tech 3rd Downs Converted: 57% -- Up a full 10% so far from 2007. If sustained down the home stretch, they may well be Kansas City-bound.
7. Texas Tech Punts: 14 -- Mike Leach's squad has punted 14 times, gone for it 14 times on 4th down, turned it over 11 times, missed 5 field goals, and scored 57 times.
8. Texas Tech Players with 10+ Receptions: 8 -- Michael Crabtree (60), Detron Lewis (45), Eric Morris (42), Tramain Swindall (31), Baron Batch (24), Edward Britton (20), Shannon Woods (15), Adam James (11).
9. Texas Tech Rushing Touchdowns: 23 -- That total in 2007? Just 18. Leach learned an important lesson.
10. Graham Harrell Passing Yards/Game: 393 -- And after a mortal start to the year, Harrell's caught and joined the pack of Big 12 superfreaks atop the Passer Rating leaderboard.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">5 Thoughts - Does Bama Deserve To Be No. 2? </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
609063.jpg

</td> <td width="3" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Staff
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Oct 27, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Does Alabama automatically deserve to be No. 2 over Penn State? Texas Tech becoming really good, the mediocre play overall (outside of the Big 12), paging Todd Boeckman, and the flawless playoff idea in the latest 5 Thoughts.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
5 Thoughts ... Oct. 27
Five Thoughts: 2007 Thoughts | Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4
- Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Week 8
The Yearly Playoff Beef

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]
1. Every year at this time I start to get a little bit angry. I don't really have a problem with the BCS, it's far better than the old poll 'n' bowl system. I get angry because I have to hear everyone's playoff idea, and they're all weird, unfair, and wrong. As if a gimmicky system would be more fair than a tough war of a regular season (cough, New York Giants, cough).

Let me help everyone out with the flawless playoff system. What the powers-that-be, including the bowls, don't realize is that they can have their cake and eat it to. Without further ado here's the yearly prayer/begging for this eight-team playoff idea that has absolutely no downside and doesn't have any holes (this has been tweaked over the years after much debating with fans, media guys, and anyone who wants to talk playoff).

Eight teams. 16 would be too many, four would be too exclusionary. Take the six BCS conference champions, put in the highest ranked non-BCS league champion according to a BCS system (you have to give the little guy a shot), and keep one wild-card spot open for the highest ranked remaining team according to the BCS.

The integrity of the regular season is maintained. You have to win your conference to get in; if you can't win your league title, you don't deserve to win the national title. If you're not in the playoff, it's your fault. For all the arguing that would go on about the one wild-card spot, again, you didn't win your conference title so there's no beefing. This one open spot would be a catch-all if there was a tie, like in the Big Ten or Pac 10, or if Notre Dame got really good. It would also encourage better non-conference games. If you're in a nasty league, you'd schedule as many good games as possible to increase your chances of being the wild-card.

Use the Cotton, the Capital One, the Fiesta and Sugar for the first round, the Orange and Rose for the final four, and a BCS national championship game to decide it all. Three weeks, all the games would sell out in a heartbeat (try getting tickets to the basketball Final Four), and everyone would make gobs and gobs of money and be deliriously happy.

How would this have worked out last year? The eight teams in would've been Ohio State, LSU, USC, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, Hawaii, and in the wild-card spot, Georgia. Two years ago it would've been Ohio State, Florida, Oklahoma, Wake Forest, USC, Louisville, Boise State, and in the wild-card spot, Michigan.

This year, so far, it would be Texas, Alabama, Penn State, USC, West Virginia, Florida State, Utah, and in the wild-card spot, Oklahoma.

And someday Jessica Biel will use my left ear as a chew toy. We can all dream.

Maybe the Oklahoma - Texas Game Was The National Championship

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]
2. Sorry, but I just don’t believe in Penn State.

The vaunted defense has yet to face anyone who can throw the forward pass, I still don’t know if Daryll Clark can produce in the clutch, and the first half against Michigan was scarier than the second half was impressive. However, I’m not going to rush out to pick against a JoePa coached team in the national title, not with the talent on the offensive line and the quickness on the defensive front, and I’m sure as shoot not just going to assume Alabama should be in the BCS championship over an undefeated Nittany Lion team. Hasn't the Penn State program over the last 40 years proven to be beyond reproach as far as how it produces in the really, really big games? (But that's for another argument and another day.)

There’s no arguing against Texas right now, just like there will be no arguments against Texas Tech if it runs the table by finishing up with wins over Oklahoma State, Texas and Oklahoma, to go along with a Big 12 title game. In fact, I’ll take a one-loss Big 12 champion over anyone else in the country in the national title pecking order. (But that, too, is for another argument and another day.) My beef is with everyone who’s assuming Alabama should automatically be No. 2.

I dogged Penn State’s schedule last week in various outlets, so to be fair, it’s time to call out what Alabama has done. At the moment, the Tide has played the 79th best schedule in the nation. Penn State has played the 68th best, Texas the 11th best, and Texas Tech the 21st best.

I’m not going to rip on the Georgia win. That victory in Athens was either the best by anyone so far this year, or it was second best behind the Texas win over Oklahoma. However, my problem is with the rest of the Tide's slate.

Bama got the initial love by throttling Clemson, but with 20/20 hindsight, that really wasn’t any better than beating, say, Oregon State (which Penn State did with ease). While throttling Arkansas and Tennessee might seem impressive on paper, and it got the national notoriety, it’s not that big a deal. And then there’s the eye-ball test. If there are issues with the Penn State offense after the first half against Michigan and the entire game against Ohio State, then why are Bama's poor performances in wins over Kentucky and Ole Miss being blown off? The offensive line was shaky and the defense struggled late in those games before holding on for dear life. Don’t just throw out the “every week is tough in the SEC” argument. No it’s not. Not this year. The conference has already lost seven non-conference games, and there will be more.

I’ll give up the Alabama love if it goes unbeaten and beats the Florida/Georgia winner in the SEC title game, the schedule will turn out to be better than Penn State’s, but I don’t want to hear about how winning at LSU in two weeks is that big a deal. Not after the Tigers got 103 points hung on them by Florida and Georgia. And I really don’t want to hear any nonsense about the Auburn game being tough because of the rivalry. This Auburn team sucks. If you’re worthy of a national title, you put that team away at home after two drives.

I’m not telling the coaches and Harris voters to put Penn State into the No. 2 spot ahead of Alabama. I’m just saying they need to think about it before they do.

It Hasn't Started Yet And It's Already Texas 24, Tech 21.

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By
[/FONT][/SIZE] Richard Cirminiello[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2] [/FONT][/SIZE]
3. Although it took me a while to come to this epiphany, Texas Tech is for real.

More than any other team last weekend, I was blown away by the Red Raiders, who blew away a ranked team from Kansas on the road, 63-21. In case you missed the game, Tech might have reached 80 had it played with the same intensity in the final 15 minutes. Graham Harrell and the passing game is humming just like it always has under Mike Leach, but the program is unbeaten and climbing into uncharted territory because it’s getting more than just tacit support from the running game and the defense.

Usually just receivers in this wide-open offense, backs Shannon Woods and Baron Batch have combined for more than 1,000 and 14 touchdowns on the ground this season. Their presence provides an outstanding change-of-pace, giving opposing coordinators one more thing to think about. Ruffin McNeill’s defense is close to making the Red Raiders a complete team. No, they don’t shut people down, but who does these days in the Big 12? What Tech does, instead, is create turnovers, swarm to the ball in run defense, and get to the quarterback with linemen, like Brandon Williams and McKinner Dixon. In the win over the Jayhawks in Lawrence, the Red Raiders created five turnovers, including three picks from Darcel McBath. When you combine that type of defensive production with a 50-point-a-game offense, Texas Tech is one scary opponent.

No one really took the Red Raiders that seriously during the first seven games of the season. That might have changed with Saturday’s dominant performance at Kansas. And just in time for a visit from top-ranked Texas for what could be the biggest game in Lubbock since the 1973 team won 11 games and beat Tennessee in the Gator Bowl.

Maybe the Brians Would Be Off The Milk Carton
By Richard Cirminiello

Are me and Ohio State TE Jake Ballard the only people wondering aloud why Jim Tressel has buried QB Todd Boeckman on the bench since the loss to USC more than a month ago?

Tressel is one of the best in the business, but he’s blown it with the decision to go exclusively with Terrelle Pryor at quarterback. I get that Pryor is a dynamite athlete with a limitless upside in Columbus. What I also get is that he wasn’t ready for the role he was given last month. That was obvious two weeks ago when the Buckeyes failed to reach the end zone versus Purdue. And again Saturday night when they managed just a pair of field goals against Penn State. Pryor is not yet ready to be a passer at this level. I know it, which means every defensive coordinator on Ohio State’s schedule knows it. Sure, he’ll make a great play with his feet every now and again, but that lack of a passing threat means Buckeye playmakers Chris Wells, Brian Robiskie, and Brian Hartline have essentially been neutralized by Pryor’s presence. Boeckman, on the other hand, is a pocket passer that some believe has an NFL arm. The senior has thrown 29 career touchdown passes, 25 a year ago. Why in the world has a platoon not been considered? Give Boeckman a few series to test the secondary and let Pryor do his thing as well. It’s one more thing for the other team to plan for, and it’s not as if the offense could be more inept.

Hey, if Ohio State was a .500 team or had some Steve Bellisari clone at quarterback, you might as well pop the cork on the Pryor era in Columbus. That, however, was not the case. This team was a legitimate Big Ten contender, even after the ugly loss to the Trojans. The fact that the Buckeyes won’t win the league title in 2008 falls squarely on the head of Tressel, who saw firsthand in the 2006 national championship game with Florida that a dual-quarterback system can work if you embrace the concept.

You Call It Parity ...

By Matthew Zemek

5. Mediocrity abounds in major college football.

The Big East is a muddled mess, and the clear favorite, West Virginia, must run the table to get to 10 wins.

The ACC? It's not a bad conference, but there are no elite teams in the league. Florida State is making huge strides, but the Seminoles are winning because they don't commit turnovers and can hit field goals for the first time in Bobby Bowden's FSU career (or at least, it seems like it). The ACC champion is an almost-certain piece of road kill in the Orange Bowl.

Then again, if the ACC winner plays Boise State, perhaps the much-maligned conference will come up with a BCS bowl victory. Chris Petersen's Broncos are winning, but no one who has seen them the past two weeks--in sloppy and uninspired performances against Hawaii and San Jose State--can view them as an elite team at this point in time.

The Pac-10's lack of star quality has been well documented, and the Big Ten's best teams--Penn State and Ohio State--showed their many limitations on Saturday.

In the SEC, Vanderbilt's feel-good run to 5-0 is a distant memory, as a 5-7 season actually looks possible once again. Aside of the Big Four--Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida--the Southeastern Conference has a lot of so-so squads.

Want to find the only place in college football where average action isn't the norm? Try the Big 12 South (the North is, right now, a sorry sight). Four of the six teams in that league have proven themselves on national stages. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, and Texas Tech comprise a fearsome foursome. None of those squads are pansies.

Want to see big-time ball in 2008? Stay in Texas and Oklahoma. The other 48 states? You'll have to look hard to find something more than mediocre.
<rte_text></rte_text>

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Roy Williams scores first TD as a Cowboy, flashes the Horns

from Bevo Sports by Brian
Roy Williams reps the Horns

Texas Ex and new Cowboy Roy Williams is still learning the offense and not playing a ton, but in today’s Cowboys’ game against Tampa Bay he caught the game’s only touchdown with just two seconds remaining in the first half. Roy ran a fade and made a nice catch on a pass from backup QB Brad Johnson. In contrast to his teammate Terrell Owens, Roy celebrated by simply putting his right arm up and flashing the Hook ‘Em hand signal.
This is the same way both he and Limas Sweed celebrated TDs while on campus so it’s great to see Roy still proud of being a Longhorn. He had his ups and downs in Detroit but he’s a great Longhorn and I’ll be rooting hard for the Cowboys as long as he’s on the team.
View the photo at left larger and also an alternate angle.
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WTdju4LwgnQ&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout
Update: Video of the play added. (via)

Headlinin': Travis Beckum goes hobbled into that good draft

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-598661061-1225112057.jpg
And whatever you do, please, don't bend it like Beckum. Anyone who caught the brief glimpse of the volleyball swelling inside Travis Beckum's ankle during Wisconsin's win over Illinois Saturday could see this coming: the Badgers' All-American tight end is out for the season with a broken fibula. Let this be a warning to y'all kids: Beckum passed up NFL millions in the latest draft, only to miss the first two games and most of the third with a gimpy hamstring, leave the field a loser in all four games he actually finished, and have his college career ended by a nasty injury that will inevitably cost him next April. On the bright side for Wisconsin: the Badgers were 3-0 with Beckum out or mostly out, and made its second half surge over the Illini Saturday after he left the game. So maybe he won't be missed, in the cynical, results-based sense.
In other notable injury news: Northwestern running back Tyrell Sutton will require surgery on the wrist he injured in the Wildcats' turnover-heavy loss to Indiana, and the team didn't update the status of quarterback C.J. Bacher, who sat out the final drive with an injured leg. ... X-rays on quarterbacks Tyrod Taylor and Sean Glennon, both injured in Virginia Tech's loss to Florida State, came back negative for major injuries. Both will be in boots through the Hokies' off week and are listed as 'questionable' for next week's Thursday night game against Maryland. ... Pitt quarterback Bill Stull was released from the hospital after a scary-looking concussion that knocked him cold and sent him off on a stretcher during the Panthers' loss to Rutgers. He's iffy for Notre Dame on Saturday. Do not tempt the concussion demons, man.
Jim Delany don't tolerate. Michigan's Brandon Minor hauled in this pylon-stomping, 19-yard pass on a 3rd-and-11 throw Saturday, deemed out of bounds on the field but reversed to a touchdown on review to tie Michigan State 7-7 in the first quarter:
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x2B5JtkaCeQ&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
Problem: by rule, that's not a touchdown. It wasn't exactly a "key play" by the fourth quarter, either, when the Spartans opened up a two-score lead that rendered all disputes moot, but Big Ten commish Jim Delany wasn't in a forgiving mood:
“The people in the replay booth made a mistake,” Delany said at the conference’s basketball media day Sunday. “It wasn’t a mistake of judgment, it was a mistake of an application of the rule. They applied the wrong rule and they applied it improperly.”
[...]
“I expect more from them than that,” Delany said. “You can understand a mistake of judgment on the field, and you can even understand possibly not getting the standard right because we want indisputable video evidence that a play is wrong. But to apply the wrong rule to a situation is not acceptable to me.”
Discipline could follow, vindication for the anger Spartan fans no doubt spewed for the next three quarters before Javon Ringer and Co. quickly wiped it from their memory.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-992820770-1225112079.jpg
The seventh loss spells relief. The Syracuse Post-Standard assures beleaguered Orange fans that the end of the Greg Robinson is very, very near, maybe as soon as next week:
Gross is likely looking at the life support machine on a week-to-week basis. He could turn it off with the next loss or let it run its course. Invariably, all signs continue to point toward a humane and inevitable end to the Robinson era.
The Orange is 1-6 overall. A loss to Louisville on Saturday would make the Orange mathematically ineligible for a bowl. That could be the marker Gross uses to pull the plug.
Robinson seems optimistic, publicly, that the toughest part of the Big East schedule -- West Virginia, Pitt, South Florida -- is already behind him. That will only make it harder to take when Louisville, Rutgers, UConn, Notre Dame and Cincinnati do the same thing. No one expects G-Rob to survive that string as anything but an official lame duck.
In the meantime, Randy Edsall's name keeps popping up, for whatever it's worth.
Quickly ... The Rose Bowl is getting a little old for USC. And how in the world did a USC player actually return a punt out of his own end zone? . . . A nice video review of Rutgers' shocking offensive outburst against Pitt. . . . Even after his team beat UCLA by three touchdowns, at least one Cal fan was upset with Rick Neuheisel. . . . North Carolina quarterback T.J. Yates might practice a little this week, but won't play against Georgia Tech. . . . A few Arizona students suffered minor injuries trying to rush the gates to get into the Wildcats' eventual loss to USC. . . . Tennessee is wounded -- literally, they're injured up and down the roster. . . . And when you're an Indiana fan, who wouldn't rather keep on drinkin' than go to the game?

a few thoughts from a fan

from disco tech! by Aphrodisiac Jackson
I've waited 35 years for Saturday night.

To put that in a little perspective...

I only had to wait 22 years to meet the woman I would marry and have a child with.

I'm pretty sure there's a large group of folks that can say they've waited a hell of a lot longer for their spouse and for this weekend's football dream matchup. So let's just say that this weekend is big. Really big.

If Tech were somehow to lose the game, I just want all of y'all to remember that the season isn't over - that group of guys has more than delivered for us already this year.

Enough of that negative talk, though...

I'm comforted that the Austin sports radio stations and national media have revealed unintentionally that they haven't watched a single Tech Football game this season. Because this team is different, so all of those folks who keep spouting off the same old Tech cliche's (no running game, no defense, weak schedule, gimmick offense, system quarterback, treeless sand dune landscape, etc etc) are only making themselves to look ignorant to the truth.

Regarding the Defense:

Spare me your "Tech is only the 58th best defense in the country" because I'll note that UT is ranked #44 and gives up only 12 yards less per game than does TTU. Please.

Tech is 10th in turnover margin @ +9 (So is OU - see how that helped them in their big game against the Longhorns?)

Tech is 21st in 3rd down conversions allowed - only allowing 32%, Texas is WAY down the list at 47th - but only allow 36%.

Pass defenses between the two units are slight as well, btw - UT allows 265 ypg via the air and Tech 245 ypg.

Texas is so AWESOME on the ground! 183 ypg! Let me tell you what - you'd better be - if you're not going to throw the ball as much as Tech is - you'd better run the ball well - in fact, I'd venture to guess you'd want more than a 45 yard per game average on the ground (Tech runs at 138 ypg).

So spare me your weak stats comparisons - the differences are slight at best.

Coming into the season Tech fans were hungry to play UT because "this could be the year" we could beat them. After all, they had to come to our place and in the preseason even UT was worried about their young secondary and a lack of a pure RB. And so, of course, UT is ranked #1 in the country.... lol ... once again, college football demonstrates its singular awesomeness through its sheer lack of predictability.

Tech is not at all unlike the black sheep of the big state university systems (although the U of H system would quickly disagree). And so having ESPN College Gameday come to Lubbock is not at all unlike having the Griswolds come to Cousin Eddie's for the holidays.

Except that we live in a pretty nice subdivision - and we're going to get to show off our version of how the other side lives on Saturday.

We hope you enjoy our company this weekend, we'll likely only remember parts of your visit. But I can assure you we'll remember the part where we light up the Christmas Tree with TDs.<$BlogFeedsVertical$>

The not so rapid descent of Willingham's Washington

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-625033710-1225152174.jpg
Because he once took Stanford to a Rose Bowl and a rebiolding Notre Dame outfir with no expectations to an 8- start, Ty Willingham was widely expected to succeed at Washington, and seemed to spend most of his tenure on the brink of the vague 'up-and-coming' bubble. People were perfectly willing to believe this: nobody will remember it becuase of the final records and losing streaks, but voters rewarded the Huskies' 4-1 September in 2006 with a brief stint in the top-25, and did it again after their 2-0 start last year. This is true. More likely, you'll remember those losing streaks: six in a row after the hot start in '06, and 10 of 11 in '07, including back-to-back losses to fellow bottom dweller Stanford (now at three losses in a row after the Cardinal's win in Seattle last month) and the first two games of the ongoing nine-game slide. U-Dub almost beat USC two years ago, lost QB Isaiah Stanback, and collapsed; it almost beat BYU in September, got hit with a sketchy penalty and collapsed.
The knock on Willingham from Notre Dame was somewhat indifferent recruiting, which wasn't immediately true -- he brought in Brady Quinn and the core of the group that won 19 games and went to back-to-back BCS games in Charlie Weis' first two years -- but it was essentially the largely bare cupboard Willingham left that fell face-first last year into the awful hole the Irish are still crawling out of. You're aware of this, of course, and I only bring it up because of the records of Ty's first two recruiting classes in Seattle:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-634727792-1225152226.jpg
The '05 class, which should be the veteran heart of the current team, has produced stunningly little (offensive lineman Ben Ossai and defensive lineman Daniel Te'o-Nesheim are the starters), even in the way of leadership from the darker reaches of the depth chart as its members are passed by younger players; the veterans just aren't there. Of the seven starters from the '06 class, the asterisk is there because only five (Jake Locker, Donald Butler, D'Andre Goodwin and Paul Homer) are reliable, full-time starters; Cameron Elisara, Cody Habben and Ryan Tolar are in and out of the first string.
So a sizable majority of this year's lineup -- including as many as seven true freshman starters at times, four on defense -- is made up of first of second-year players, making it by far the youngest team in the Pac-10. It's so young, despite the record, it might even be a lineup with some promise in the immediate future, if Locker's immense talent is ever channeled into developing better accuracy in the passing game. Most of the accounts of Willingham's resignation today include his quote that the team is built to win in the future, and its current youth movement on the field suggests that may be the case. But it was always the case: Willingham was going to get the Huskies back to respectability, eventually, when his kids grew into upperclassmen. But they were just replaced by more kids, who predictably struggled. Every year can't be a rebuilding year. (Although obviously 2009 is now, yeah, a rebuilding year. But Willingham's successor won't get four in a row, either.)

News flash: Ty Willingham 'resigns,' effective end of season

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-909712253-1225137883.jpg
Yeah, so never mind: Tyrone Willingham is officially out at Washington, following Tommy Bowden as bosses axed (er, who "resigned") before the end of their term:
Asked what went wrong at UW, Willingham said: "We didn't win enough games. That's it. We didn't win football games. But I do believe we put the program in a position where it will be able to win football games."
Unlike Tommy, Ty will close out the regular season in pursuit of that final, elusive victory. He'll also make $1 million as a buyout -- you know, a little bonus for going 11-32, and a little headstart on knocking the ol' handicap down a few strokes. As far as leaving Washington in a position to win, maybe: Willingham's recruiting classes improved slightly every year, although they were never better than middle-of-the-pack within the Pac-10. At least that's better than where they finished on the field.
Anyway, now that Clemson has a little official competition on the trail, let the official Lane Kiffin/Will Muschamp Derby begin in earnest. (And don't forget about Chris Petersen, Bronco Mendenhall and ex-UW assistant Gary Pinkel, either. Feel free to throw out whatever name flits through your mind. It's fun.)
UPDATE: Seems Washington might be slightly ahead of the game, having had plenty of lead time on this announcement. A familiar name you might be hearing a lot over the next month: ex-Washington alum/graduate assistant and current Seahawks assistant Jim "Don't Call Me 'Junior'" Mora:
I was listening to Scott Woodward on the Softy show and he affirmed what we all knew and that is due dilligence regarding a coaching hire has been going on for awhile. What that means is Washington has it's list and they want to publically start the hunt.
Softy asked him about Jim Mora Jr and Woodward sidestepped it nicely by accusing him of trying to get Jim in trouble again. Woodward showed Mora a lot of respect but didn't bite.
If you want an early clubhouse leader, Mora seems like a good bet. They don't have to charter a plane to interview him, anyway, which pretty much ruins all the fun of a coaching search.

Profiles in Disillusion: Phil Fulmer is a man of constant sorrow

A weekly look at conquered favorites and other notables picking up the pieces of shattered ambition. Phil's time growing short in the land where he was born and raised. When it came, it was always going to be from Rocky Top Talk, and finally, off another rout at the hands of Alabama to fall to 1-4 in the SEC, Vol diehard Joel has captured the zeitgeist for Tennessee's 2008 season in three visceral minutes:
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RmxU-oNJ9OY&hl=en&fs=1" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
Even the most patient Volunteers are apologizing to the physical genius of Eric Berry and making plans for a new coach in 2009, and the not so patient don't want to wait that long:
Put aside the losses for a moment. Put aside the inept offense. Put aside the decade that has passed without an SEC title. Put aside the utter inability to compete with Nick Saban and Urban Meyer in recruiting or on the field.
Just look at the empty seats in Neyland Stadium. Look at the uncommon number of fans dressed in red.
Look at the man, standing on Phillip Fulmer Way, holding two tickets in the air.
"Where are they?"
"Lower bowl."
"How much?"
"Fifty dollars for the pair."
So that has to be it, right? When $50 can buy two lower bowl tickets to the Alabama game?
Well, no, not necessarily. When Tennessee loses that game by 23 points, then, maybe, yeah. Seems like that's probably it.
Everything you know about LSU's defense: Revise, revise, revise. LSU's defense allowed 38 points, 440 yards and scoring drives of 78, 71, 72, 68 and 63 yards to Georgia's offense, not including a five-play, 51-yard drive by the Dawgs that ended in a missed field goal with the game already out of reach. The problem? The interceptions, of course:
"There were two touchdowns we couldn't do anything about," [defensive end Rahim] Alem said in reference to quarterback Jarrett Lee throwing two interceptions to backup middle linebacker Darryl Gamble that were returned for touchdowns.
[...]
"Everybody has turnovers, but when you throw two interceptions for touchdowns, those are game changers," Alem said. "It's hard to come back from that."
Actually, Alem has enough blame to go around: It's not only the freshman picks. It's also the acute lack of Bo Pelini on the sideline:
"I wish I could comment on the schemes we're playing, but I just do my job," Alem said. "We're giving up too many big plays. In two or three plays a game we're not gap solid, and they just gash us on running plays. That happened at Florida and at South Carolina."
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-362774177-1225136280.jpg
A "no comment" on the schemes you're playing is a comment on the schemes, Rahim (at right, doing his job, more or less), and fortunately for your job, Les Miles happens to agree with you after another cavalcade of big plays and the second 50-plus-point effort by an elite opponent in three weeks. The Tigers are tenth in the SEC in pass efficiency defense, ninth in total D and next-to-last in points allowed, all categories they dominated Miles' first three years. The five opposing SEC quarterbacks to date have a solid 144 efficiency rating, up dramatically from 104 in '06 and '07 under Pelini.
That's not so good for the jobs of first-year co-coordinators Doug Mallory and Bradley Dale Peveto, who get a virtual bye against Tulane to whip something up for Nick Saban's return to Baton Rouge in two weeks. More of the same, and impatient Tiger fans will have a very clear message for them.
A mere 55-point loss, they could have tolerated. Colorado fans know they can't ask for much these days. The Buffs aren't in a position to compete with Missouri for the Big 12 North title or anything. But some freakin' points would be nice:
Plenty of Colorado football fans are angry with coach Dan Hawkins today because of his stubborn refusal to take the easy way out and kick a field goal Saturday night in Columbia, Mo., to avoid the embarrassment of a shutout.
Hawkins chose instead to try to score touchdowns. He defended the decision by saying a field goal would have been pointless when his team was down by 34 and 58 points respectively in the two instances in which he could have kicked one.
"You're not going to go, 'Hey, good for us. We didn't get shutout,'" Hawkins said. "I mean, nobody is ever going to do that."
That's true, although Hawkins true revolutionaries will stay the course, no matter how bad Michigan looks. ... Ron Zook is not happy with his quarterback, or anybody else, really. ... And it's gonna be alright at UCLA. It's gonna be alright at UCLA. It's gonna be alright ...

Whittaker was well but not ready, Davis says

from Bevo Beat

Redshirt freshman tailback Fozzy Whittaker did not play against Oklahoma State, but it had nothing to do with his health. Rather, Texas coaches opted to stick with Chris Ogbonnaya and Vondrell McGee at tailback because of their experience in picking up blitzes. Because of knee injuries, Whittaker has played in just two games this season.
“I think Fozzy is fine. He was fine last week,” offensive coordinator Greg Davis said. “It was just a ballgame where there was a lot going on — unbelievable amount of blitzes from various structures. The other two just had more more reps on it more recently. We just felt more comfortable with that.”

R Tight Okie Touchdown: The trick play that wasn't a treat

from Bevo Beat

Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis was asked today about the trick play on which Colt McCoy pretended to fumble and then tried to hit Jordan Shipley over the middle. “We call it a mistake,” Davis answered when asked the name of the play, adding that it was really called R Tight Okie Touchdown.
He said he put the play in just for the Oklahoma State game. It was designed to be used in a short-yardage situation when Texas might catch the Cowboys in man coverage with the safeties up close to the line.
That’s exactly what happened. But the play went awry when McCoy made a poor pass, and Oklahoma State’s Perrish Cox intercepted it. It worked out for Texas in the end, though, because the Cowboys were flagged for roughing the passer, and Texas scored soon afterward.
“What happened was they brought two people off the tight end’s edge so we only had one blocker there. Colt wasn’t able to set his feet, and because of it, the DB was able to chase the ball down” Davis said. “Other than that, we had the look that we thought we’d get. We had the safeties where we thought we’d get them. He just wasn’t able to put his back foot down and turn the ball loose.”
Davis said he stole the idea for the play from something he saw Boise State do a few years back. Does the play have a future?
“I wouldn’t look for it again in your career,” Davis told a reporter. “Or mine.”

Mack's No. 1 but still concerned

from Bevo Beat
Mack Brown opened his news conference today by focusing on some warts that came to light in Texas’ 28-24 win over Oklahoma State.
“We didn’t finish,” Brown said. “We had a chance at 28-14 to separate from them and finish it out.”
He said he was disappointed by his team’s red-zone offense and its running game down the stretch. “We didn’t run the ball well at the end of the game,” he said.
Other concerns he cited were 12 missed tackles that led to 125 extra yards for the Cowboys, run defense, the need for creating more turnovers and kickoff coverage.
Brown promised that personnel changes would be coming to the kick coverage team. “We’re not doing it right, so we’re going to fix it.”
Among the positives he cited were his team’s ability to keep receiver Dez Bryant in check. He said he was “proud that the defense came in and shut the game down at the end.”
The good news for the Longhorns coming out of Oklahoma State, Brown said, is that the players handled adversity during the game and then saw the need for improvement afterward.
“We have their attention this week,” Brown said. “They were not happy about not finishing against Oklahoma State.”

Brian Orakpo - A Beast, A Monster, A Freak

Posted October 27th, 2008 by Matt
Filed under: Football

0 comments

We all know how good Brian Orakpo has been on the field this season, but wait until you see what he can do in the weight room. Pretty scary.

<object width="440" height="361">
<param name="movie" value="http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=3650227"/>
<param name="wmode" value="transparent"/>
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/>
<embed src="http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=3650227" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowScriptAccess="always" width="440" height="361"></embed>
</object>

Michigan State's taunting is expensive, and a little rusty

Under normal circumstances, a team like Michigan State, still clinging to reasonable conference championship hopes, would treat a win over a 2-6 bottom dweller on a three-game losing streak -- one of those games to a subpar MAC team -- as just another routine rung on the ladder. When that bottom dweller is Michigan, though, even when the Spartans expect a win, it's never routine:
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Kus0TFLbBY&hl=en&fs=1" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
That Web site, if you didn't catch it, is "MichiganIsOurLittleSister.com," a play on Mike Hart's "Little Brother" jab, which has put up a digital billboard outside a shopping center in East Lansing with the final score of MSU's win in Ann Arbor and customized taunts on a loop for the rest of the week. The site also encourages Spartan partisans to send their Michigan "friends" customized greeting cards, calendars, puzzles, playing cards and the like for Christmas, or, you know, any time you're feeling like a quick, vicarious pick-me-up.
I thoroughly support the idea of intra-state hate mongering in all its non-violent forms, even if it's mainly one-sided hate (it doesn't really make sense to put up a billboard when you win every year, as Michigan had for the last six since 2002; the Wolverines might consider a very tasteful placard campaign when they finally break the string against Ohio State). The real problem here is with the lazy execution. Given decades to stew as "the other team" in the state and at least half a dozen message boards on which to toss around quasi-clever puns, putdowns and interchangeable inbred jokes, the wordsmiths came up with the following:
"Leaders and Best? In Your Dreams Maybe"
"Where's the Arrogance Now?"
"Leaders and Best? Seriously?? Lately?? You've got to Be Kidding"
"Holy Toledo! Bye Bye Bowl Streak"
"Oh Well. There's Always Men's Basketball. Oh Wait. My Bad."
"Roses are Red. Violets are Blue. Your Football Team's Terrible. And Your Basketball Team, Too."
"It's Not Over. And It Will Never Be Over. It's Just Starting."
"Pride Comes Before the Fall -- Mark Dantonio, Nov. 5, 2007. He Tried to Warn You."
Holy Toledo! isn't all bad, but overall, this is a just a mess: multiple mentions of basketball (men's basketball, that is, if you were confused) on a clearly football-based taunt; two separate, head-slappingly generic scoffs at "Leaders and Best," both falling extremely flat; <strike>"Just Staring" in print, as if the words were an approximation of actual staring </strike>[My speed-reading mistake; see comments -- ed.]; and who is completely devoid of irony enough to taunt someone else for "arrogance" on a billboard? I know it's been a while for the Spartans, but when you earn the right to be arrogant yourself in one of the most public possible fashions, act like you've been there before.

Horns will need to run for their lives at Tech

Texas will have to grind out at some point.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 Colt McCoy needs to put his Heisman Trophy campaign temporarily on hold Saturday.
Besides, surely he's clinched it by now anyway.
Colt's pretty good, but the running game needs to be as well.
To beat Texas Tech this weekend, McCoy will still need to complete all but a couple of his 40 or so throws, the bulk of them to a beat-up Jordan Shipley and Quan Cosby as always because those two can get open in a phone booth.
But if Texas is to get by an excellent Red Raiders team, it will have to devote itself to a clock-eating, chain-moving ground game.
Not exclusively, but when it counts.
Like when Texas has a lead and wants to milk time off the clock. When Texas faces a critical third-and-short. When the Longhorns need to convert a fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line like, say, against Oklahoma State.
"We've got to be able to run on goal-line and short-yardage (situations)," Texas coach Mack Brown said. "We didn't do well at Colorado and last week, and it's really important to get that back."
That commodity would have come in handy in a collar-tightening, 28-24 win over Oklahoma State. Of the Longhorns' 36 runs, 21 went for 3 yards or fewer. Five went for no gain or lost yardage. There was little there.
We're not necessarily advocating a Chris Ogbonnaya-for-Heisman campaign. For one, it's too hard for voters to spell. Secondly, it might not easily fit on a bumper sticker.
Besides, most Heisman-worthy running backs have run for more than Ogbonnaya's 309 yards, eight weeks into the season. After all, Connecticut's Donald Brown and Michigan State's Javon Ringer have both already topped 1,300 rushing yards.
And, as we said, McCoy has sewn it up already, hasn't he?
We kid, but his teammates need to provide some help for the game in Lubbock in which McCoy and Tech's Graham Harrell will try to outduel each other.
Greg Davis has a proper sense of urgency about the running game.
"I'm still not pleased where that's at after eight games," the Longhorns offensive coordinator said.
He shouldn't be. While adept at protecting McCoy, this offensive line isn't producing gaping holes. The Longhorns' running backs have just seven runs longer than 20 yards. Fozzy Whittaker isn't as tough or durable as the coaches had hoped.
Let's face it. Texas has a workmanlike rushing attack without a special featured back although Ogbonnaya has been one of the most pleasant surprises of the season.
The Longhorns rank 32nd nationally in rushing with 183 yards a game, but six other top 10 teams rank higher. Texas beat one of those (Oklahoma State) but failed to convert a crucial fourth-and-inches play at the goal line when Ogbonnaya wasn't lined up correctly in time and the ball was snapped too quickly.
Davis called it "the worst play we've had this year in terms of execution," one that could have cost Texas its perfect season if the Cowboys had been able to drive 99 yards in 33 seconds and pull off a miracle.
Texas' sensational passing game \— ranked 11th nationally \— more than compensates for the lack of a dominant, between-the-tackles rushing attack. But the Longhorns will need to pound at some point \— Saturday, at Kansas, in the Big 12 title game, maybe in the BCS championship game.
Only Davis sounds an alarm.
"It's a work in progress," offensive tackle Adam Ulatoski said. "The running game's important because we need to keep Tech off the field."
"I think we're fine," Ogbonnaya said. "We're running the ball efficiently. I don't think there's a problem with anything."
Remember that Texas has beaten Tech five straight times. In those games, the Longhorns have averaged 254.6 yards rushing. They scored 17 touchdowns on the ground.
But in the last game they lost to Tech in 2002, they managed just 92 yards rushing and never crossed the goal line via the rush (but also had no healthy defensive linemen either). Texas lost, 42-38.
Chris Simms didn't throw every down but was finally picked off at the end after a 345-yard, four-touchdown performance because the running game was unreliable. Cedric Benson was held to just 75 yards on 21 carries, one in a string of four straight games he didn't top 100.
True, Tech's 606 yards passing had a lot to do with that last Red Raiders victory, but Texas' poor running attack was just as big a culprit. It'll play a meaningful role again on Saturday.

Fresno State Wins by a Foot

from The Wiz of Odds by Jay Christensen
<embed class="content-block-fix" allowfullscreen="true" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vtZR24gFfdQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="470" height="389">PopoutCould not let the week pass without a look at the incredible feat of Fresno State freshman Kevin Goessling, who kicked a 58-yard field goal on the final play to lift the Bulldogs past Utah State, 30-28. The video starts with Utah State taking a 28-27 lead with 38 seconds left, then jumps to Goessling's kick.
Goessling had missed three field goals in Fresno State's 13-10 loss to Wisconsin and three more in a 32-29 overtime loss to Hawaii.

Headlinin': Tennessee's next loss could be Fulmer's last

Next victim, please. First, your obligatory Phil Fulmer Intro:
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hqT5M_rk-_Q&hl=en&fs=1" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
With easy target Ty Willingham officially done at Washington, and Greg Robinson virtually fired already at Syracuse, the instatiable rumormongering and week-by-week status checks turns full force on Fulmer, who has at least one very specific guideline if he has any chance to return to Tennessee in 2009, according to a pair of anonymous sources in the Knoxville News-Sentinel:
No formal decision has been made regarding Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer's future, an anonymous source who would be involved in such a decision told the News Sentinel on Monday, two days after the Vols lost to No. 2 Alabama in Neyland Stadium and fell to 3-5 overall.
[...]
A second source close to the program said a win over Alabama last week would have strongly bolstered Fulmer's chances to be retained next season, especially if UT went on to win its four remaining games.
That source said a 6-6 record would result in a coaching change, adding that Fulmer would not be guaranteed to save his job if the Vols go 7-5 this season.
The schedule has always been kind to Phil in November, which makes the "softer" side of the slate a double-edged sword under these conditions: the best the Vols can do is 7-5, which means a four-game winning streak against South Carolina, Wyoming, Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Any losses there -- and three of those teams currently have better records than UT overall and in the SEC -- and the best bet is Fulmer being shown the door.
Yes, I'm very interested in my rigatoni, I mean, that job you mentioned. The Associated Press tracked down Lane Kiffin at his house Monday night to ask him about his interest in the Washington job, and gauged from this response that he's very interested:
"The University of Washington is a great job, one that I’m sure a lot of people have an interest in," Kiffin told The Associated Press while watching Monday Night Football at his home in the Bay Area.
I dunno. If that's the best they got from him, it's worth throwing Kiffin's name in the hat along with all the other familiar names, but I read "leave me alone" at least as strongly as "I am interested in this job." If Lane's not used to it already, he'd better be ready to say every job that comes open over the next month is "a great job," because apparently he's going to be asked about every one of them.
Meanwhile, Kiffin's old boss, USC offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian expressed actual interest in the job: "It's a great place. If they called, I'd have to assess it."
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-489170550-1225200582.jpg
Crispety, crunchety, untenable at quarterback. Georgia Tech has fumbled 26 times in eight games, and lost 14, both the worst numbers in the ACC and among the highest in the nation. How does Paul Johnson fix the butterfingers?
"I don’t know," said Johnson, when asked if the team’s inexperience was a factor. "[Heck], if I knew, we wouldn’t fumble."
Actually, the fumbling problem was better in Saturday's loss to Virginia, the first time the Jackets have fumbled fewer than three times all season. But the two Tech did lose were both in Virginia territory, one of them at the Cavs' five-yard line. Johnson wouldn't put it on serial fumbler Josh Nesbitt, but he did suggest there might be a faster hook for Jaybo Shaw if Nesbitt loses another one against Florida State.
Quickly ... T. Boone Pickens' bottomless pockets come up with another $63 million for Oklahoma State. Whatever they need, you know? . . . Dave Wannstedt said changes are coming to Pitt's lineup after the Panthers' awful defensive effort against Rutgers, and refused to name a starting quarterback for Saturday's game at Notre Dame. . . . East Carolina is decimated by injuries and a couple suspensions. . . . Vote for the Atlanta-Journal Constitution's best Larry Munson impression. . . . And whatever you do, don't click here.

Morning Coffee Is An Unabashed Loser

from Burnt Orange Nation by GhostofBigRoy
hornbullet.gif
A little nicked up.
During the weekly MB-TF feature, "From the film room" (sorry can't link it), Greg Davis mentions that he has some nicked up offensive players. Looking at the body language on the field and watching Jordan Shipley limp off after getting his leg twisted under him on a tackle, I have to guess Davis is referring to Shipley, Cosby, and Chris Ogbonnaya. All three of them looked a little slower than normal getting up after plays, not unexpected after such a brutal three-game stretch. Ogbonnaya in particular looked like he lacked his normal burst, possibly the result of the early play against Missouri when he fumbled the football and got up limping.
Part of the issue here is the controlled passing game, which leaves the players vulnerable as they catch balls over the middle. Colt McCoy has done an excellent job not putting his receivers into situations where defenders can really tee of on them, but all of them have taken some hard hits this season. Oklahoma State's secondary provided the physical play expected but not delivered from Missouri. Which leads into the next issue...

hornbullet.gif
Not to our standard.
Both phases of the kickoff game have been less than stellar this season. PB raised the question of whether Quan Cosby should be back returning punts and kicks, supporting his position with statistical evidence and concluding that Texas needs more playmaking on special teams. With Cosby rarely coming off the field on offense and starting to look fatigued, the case is stronger than ever to replace him as kick returner. Taking out Shipley's 96-yarder against OU and replacing it with the current average (24.4 yards per return) places Texas at 21.4 yards per return, which would place them in the low 60's nationally. With Curtis Brown playing well on defense and special teams, it's time to give him a chance on kickoff returns.
The kickoff game has been an unmitigated failure the last several weeks, leaving Texas 104th nationally and allowing 24 yards per return, a figure that doesn't even take into account the field position lost with the intentional short and high kicks the last several weeks. Mack Brown dismissed any notions of Justin Tucker having a fatigued leg ($), but did say that some personnel would change on the kickoff unit, notably the reinsertion of Sergio Kindle and other former members of the unit.
hornbullet.gif
Stats are for losers, Part I.
And I am an unabashed loser. Mack Brown must be, too. Perhaps the most interesting and most cogent parts of his Monday pressers are the stats he provides. This week was no exception. And so, without further delay, on to the goodies. Texas gave up 217 rushing yards against Oklahoma State, by far the worst performance of the season (145 yards allowed against UTEP), but 66 yards below their season average. Far more distressing were the missed tackles (12) and yards allowed after those missed tackles (125, nearly one-third of the Oklahoma State offense). Most of those yards are attributable no doubt to the impressive Kendall Hunter, who proved to be the hardest player to tackle the defense has faced all season. Kid's good.
On the positive side, the Longhorns converted 11 of 14 third downs (78%, Tulsa leads the nation at 60%), while also winning the explosive play battle 12-8. Despite Zac Robinson only being sacked four times coming into the game, the Longhorns dropped him five times behind the line of scrimmage, while hitting him 12 times and pressuring him four more. In other words, the Longhorns were three mistakes by Colt McCoy (only two ended up hurting him) and some missed tackles from an immensely impressive performance against an excellent football team. As it was, the game went into the "W" column, which is all you can really expect during this gauntlet the team is running.
PS Mack: Don't tell Muschamp what you did in your presser. It's for the best.
hornbullet.gif
Stats are for losers, Part II.
I'm just going to keep going here because I can't help myself. Over at The Tortilla Retort, sometimes Barking Carnival contributor dedfischer breaks down the upcoming battle in the trenches between Texas and Texas Tech, while Scipio Tex responds. I don't have much to add besides commenting that dedfischer underestimates Brian Orakpo, but the whole discussion brings up some salient points for the Tech game. Namely, can the Texas defense make Texas Tech one dimensional, which would help the pass rush immeasurably? And, on the other side of the ball, can Texas control the clock and limit the number of plays Texas Tech runs?
Since I'm a loser, on to the numbers. Texas controlled the ball for over 40 minutes last year against Tech, 10 minutes more than an average that placed them at #40 in the country. This season, the Longhorns average 33 minutes of possession time per game, good for fifth in the country, while Tech places in the bottom half of the country at just more than 29 minutes per game. So why does this matter? Last season, the Longhorns ran 93 plays to Texas Tech's 57, 21 fewer than Tech ran against Kansas last week. For a team that averages 7.5 yards per play, that amounts to 157.5 more yards. Keeping Tech off the field will be crucial.
So how do the Longhorns do that? Well, the ball control passing team evident all season is a step, but running the ball effectively will keep the passing lanes open and wear out a Tech defense that might not have the depth to stay on the field for more than 33 minutes. The Texas offense bludgeoned Tech last year to the tune of 63 carries for 283 yards, more than 100 yards over the average that left them 82nd in the country. The improved defense has vaulted them to 14th, although they give up 37 more yards per game to winning teams. All this is to say that while Tech is a much better team in run defense this year, the Longhorns offensive line is playing better than it was a year ago, leaving much to be revealed on the Jones Stadium field Saturday night.
hornbullet.gif
Will the real running game please step up?
PB mentioned the issues in the running game in his post-game react, noting that the Oklahoma State stretched the zone plays to the sideline and Ogbonnaya and McGee failed to find running lanes. The zone blocking scheme requires good vision from the running backs and the ability to plant and cut. McGee has struggled mightily with the latter, although in his defense, he has shown much more burst recently than he has since the ugly play against Florida Atlantic. Both backs missed running lanes that opened up on the backside of plays. Ogbonnaya only averaged 2.4 yards per carry, while McGee had 6 for 13 excepting his 14-yard touchdown run. Both could have had more with better vision. Those mistakes spell doom against a good Tech run defense. Did I just say "good Tech run defense"?
So where does that leave Texas? Well, back to the mythical Fozzy creature, who apparently was healthy against Oklahoma State, but didn't play because Greg Davis didn't feel comfortable with him handling the myriad blitzes the Cowboy defense threw at the Longhorns. Frustrating, but understandable. At least it wasn't a health issue. If the blitz pick up is the main issue, though, Tech only blitzes 18% of the time, a number significantly lower than the last several teams played by Texas.

Why I Miss College: Because Partying with These Ohio State Girls Would be Amazing

Published by Natty at 5:20 am under Why I Miss College

Looks like these fans had their own little tailgate
Unfortunately for Ohio State, the Buckeyes fell short to Paterno’s Lions on Saturday in what was a pretty uneventful game. I for one am not into low scoring college games. But it wasn’t the game that caught my attention. It was these Ohio State fans.
You have to figure that the students had good reason to drink on that Saturday. Afterall A. They’re in college and B. They’re in college and days of the week are pretty irrelevant. However, I’m wondering if these kids even made it to the game. The smart money says they never even made it to the tailgate.
And these are the pictures to prove it.

Isn’t college amazing?

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Cavalcade of Whimsy - The 2009 Top Ten!? </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
609450.jpg

Oklahoma RB DeMarco Murray
</td> <td width="3" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Oct 28, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

2008 was so, well, this year, but that doesn't keep Pete Fiutak from taking the first look at the ten best teams of 2009. From analysis of the steroid issue and online gaming to Nebraska sell outs and Rich Rodriguez, check out the latest Cavalcade of Whimsy.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Fiu's Cavalcade of Whimsy[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
a.k.a. Frank Costanza's Festivus Airing of the Grievances [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]

By Pete Fiutak
What's your beef? ... Fire off your thoughts
Past Whimsies
[/SIZE][/FONT] 2006 Season | 2007 Season
-
Preseason Cavalcade | Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4
- Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Week 8
If this column sucks, it’s not my fault … I got this job by winning a kicking contest at halftime of the Texas Tech – UMass game a few weeks ago.

“Some stupid zombies riding piles of Kleenex down the street? Big deal.” … It’s no longer 1957 and Mary Sue Sweetiepie isn’t going to be swept off her feet by buying her a large glass of fatty chocolate liquid. It’s time to quit thinking that homecoming means anything to anyone actually involved in the game itself. The players certainly don’t give a hoot about it, and only the oldest of fans actually attach some notion of extra pride because of the designation. Yes, there was a time when being someone’s homecoming opponent got a team fired up, but not anymore. There’s no need to play the disrespect card when it comes to this unnecessary and antiquated tradition.

And if you still don’t think America knows enough about you, just buy up a half hour of prime television time ... College coaches need to take a cue from the political campaigns and make sure they get as much face time as humanly possible no matter what the situation. What’s the best time for America to get to know a head coach? On the way to the locker room.

It happens at every halftime. The sideline reporter tries to get a few comments from a head coach as the teams run off the field, and the coach gives vapid answers as quickly as humanly possible so he can be off to adjust and prepare for the second half. Instead, coaches should use this time to stay on camera as long as he can. There’s nothing the coach can say in the locker room that’s more important than the television time he’ll get in every recruit’s living room. When it comes to recruiting and perceptions, nothing is bigger than being able to show off the personality. I’m convinced this helps Pete Carroll immeasurably. He’s always cool, polite, and confident in these moments, and he always speaks like he has an answer to fix the problems.

[SIZE=-1]
609448.jpg
609449.jpg
[/SIZE]
The message to you, Rudy, is to stay away from anything with gravy … ESPN’s Todd Blackledge has to slow down on his Taste of the Town bit in a big hurry. He needs to lose a little weight before getting back to his other gig as the lead singer of The Specials. “I heard that one myself, Bob. Hell, I even thought I was dead til I found out I was just in Nebraska.” … 1962. That’s the last time Nebraska didn’t have a sell-out. The Huskers have gone 295 games in a row in front of a packed house currently putting 85,104 red butts in the seats each and every week. Take a look around the college football landscape and the second anything goes slightly askew with most power programs, there will be a few tickets to be had here and there and a few empty patches in the stands. Not Nebraska. Along with the bar set by Joe Paterno for the most wins by a D-I head coach at one school, this sellout record is another one that won’t be broken in our lifetime.

“I was ordering some fish for you, Audrey and Mom.” …
As the adage goes, it doesn’t matter who the hottest woman in the world is, somewhere there's a guy sick of schtupping her. On the flip side, I’ll find you 10,000 guys ready to step in and fire. It’s more than a little odd, considering her situation, that Christie Brinkley has reprised her tour de force Vacation performance in the DirecTV ads running every commercial break. Basically, she wasn’t bringing home the groceries, the husband, being of a high enough caliber to bag a Christie Brinkley in the first place, allegedly, er, uh, missed being cooked for, and he sampled some of the take out with the hot nanny. And now there’s Brinkley back in her role trying to seduce a married Clark Griswold. The white patent leather shoes are on the other foot.

“I'm sorry, but he knew about our getting hit on three big machines in a row and he did nothing about it. That means, either he was in on it or he was too dumb to see what was goin' on. Either way, I cannot have a man like that working here.” … Because there are actual real world issues to deal with, like our country going into the financial tank, you’re not going to see any grandstanding promo hearings on steroids any time soon like we had last summer when it came to baseball. But trust me; they’ll come soon enough.

Some NFL players are currently getting nailed for using masking agents, and it’s being hailed by some as proving that the drug testing system is working. Whatever.

When was the last time you heard of a college player getting nailed for steroid or human growth hormone use? Either no one, no one is juicing up, or maybe, just maybe, the druggies remain three steps ahead of the tests with their undetectable use. And to make things even worse, the NFL, who has to be the standard bearer on this to set the tone for college and high school football, is getting worse and worse at its reporting on the topic.

When the biggest voices, like ESPN’s Tom Jackson, who played in the 1970s on the same defense as Lyle Alzado in an era when shooting up was the norm for many, say things like, “I’m old school. Just play the game,” it shows a glaring head-in-the-sand ignorance that continues to prevail from the top down. To make matters worse, there’s Mike Ditka, a doorknob who gives doorknobs a bad name. He was as iron fisted as they came in demanding his players suck it up and play through injuries, and then he went on and ran a foundation for injured former players that was inept at best, borderline criminal at worst, saying he never really saw steroid abuse as an overall problem. He was a part of the 1970s Dallas Cowboys as a player and a coach and he didn’t know of anything going on? He knows who's doing them. You know, deep down, who's doing them. A few players getting nailed for periphery use should be the fuse that sets off the bomb, but it won't be.

It's time to start making this a bigger deal, I keep trying, and it's time the NCAA became even more proactive on the subject. Eventually, people will care about this problem and all the talking heads are going to get self-righteous after the fact. Until then, let’s hope the college game can step up teach the pros how to do this right.

“You wanna make it right? Then when you go to nationals, bring it. Don't slack off because you feel sorry for us. That way, when we beat you, we'll know it's because we're better.” … Do you really think the Big 12 or SEC champion will be the slightest bit nervous about playing Penn State? Oh sure, if the Nittany Lions get into the national championship game the opponent will say all the right things and pay the proper respect, as it should against a defense this good, but you know the internal memo, after seeing the Ohio State game and after getting through a real conference war, will be “bring … it … on.”

Oh yeah, and the overtime system is better, too, nyah-nyah ...
To anyone out there, especially the NFL fans, who actually believes the pro replay system is better than the college version, look at what happened in the Atlanta – Philadelphia game. Atlanta was down 20-14 and was going to get the ball back with 2:22 to play. The punt appeared to be muffed, Philly recovered, and put it away with a Brian Westbrook touchdown run. Only, the punt wasn’t muffed or mishandled. It never touched the returner and the officials got it wrong. It wasn’t under two minutes, so it wasn’t an automatic review, and Atlanta couldn’t challenge because it was out of time-outs. Meanwhile, the college replay system has remained seamless and relatively painless. Most importantly, it’s getting the calls right. That’s the whole point. There’s no nobility in a missed call.

“Nyet! Nyet! He beat me. Straight up. Pay him. Pay that man his money.”… If you’re a Republican “investor,” here’s a small silver lining for you before the upcoming clean sweep apparently coming next Tuesday. With an Obama White House and a Democrat controlled congress, you’re going to be able to wager on a sporting event again.

There's word that an Obama government will be trying to find as many creative ways as possible to raise revenue to not only bring down the debt, but to pay for social programs. There’s a better than 50/50 shot that online gaming will be legalized in the next few years, regulated, and taxed up the yang, bringing in billions of dollars. If McCain wins, forget about Internet poker or sportsbooks seeing the light of day ever again. McCain is from Arizona, along with Senator Jon Kyl, the major force behind eliminating the legality of on-line gaming.

“The SEC is going to lose at least six regular season non-conference games against BCS teams.” … I got hammered on that statement in a preseason column with angry SEC fans bombarding me from all sides, a few radio talk show hosts yelling at me for disrespecting the holiest of holy leagues, and Mike Mayock ripping on me during one of our early NFL Network gigs. After the Auburn loss to West Virginia, the SEC has lost seven non-conference games (Cal over Tennessee, Louisiana Tech and Georgia Tech over Mississippi State, Wake Forest over Ole Miss, Texas over Arkansas, and Vanderbilt over Duke). When all is said and done, there could be even more.

'Cause they stand on a wall. And they say "Nothing's gonna hurt you tonight. Not on my watch." ... It’s a simple game. It’s all about the offensive lines. You can put mediocre skill players behind a great offensive line and the attack should shine, and great quarterbacks and receivers should go ballistic behind a great front five. With that in mind, looking back on our Preview, here were our top five offensive lines going into the preseason. 1. Oklahoma, 2. Oklahoma State, 3. Penn State, 4. Ohio State, 5. LSU. We had the Texas line 15<sup>th</sup>, Texas Tech’s 11<sup>th</sup>, Utah’s 20<sup>th</sup>, and Alabama’s line ranked 25<sup>th</sup>. Obviously this is hardly the be-all-end-all judgment on the lines, but there doesn’t seem to be a clear relationship between the front five and a good team.

Rule change of the week … Up 21-14 with 8:49 to play, Colt McCoy dropped back against Oklahoma State, got rid of the ball, which was intercepted, and got popped in the face by Andre Sexton to draw a roughing the passer penalty. It was a personal foul that gave the ball back to Texas, who ended up getting a McCoy sneak for a touchdown two plays later. The late hit had nothing to with the pick. The rule needs to be changed that the penalty is tacked on for the team that just intercepted the ball, but it shouldn’t have to give the ball back unless the hit actually contributed to the turnover.

Basically, it’s a dollar for every turnover …
Rich Rodriguez might not be a beloved man by Michigan fans at the moment, but his contract appears to be a little light. Yeah, yeah, boo-hoo. We have a nation of people going under and here’s a guy making $2.5 million a year for six years, but that seems a bit light for an elite of the elite job like Michigan. Everyone knows Michigan was going to be low, it’s a place that deep down believes coaches should be paying the school for the honor to be working there. That’s part of the reason Les Miles didn’t jump ship immediately.

The C.O.W. airing of the grievances followed by the feats of strength

2008 is so last year. What’s the 2009 top ten potentially going to look like? Remembering that things will change in a big hurry depending on who jets early to the NFL and who sticks around, here’s the first look anywhere for next year.

10. Boise State

It might be time to finally start giving the program the benefit of the doubt. The team that’s stopping everyone cold on the way to a second BCS appearance in three years comes back loaded. WR Jeremy Childs is probably off to the NFL early, but if he’s back, he’ll be on the preseason All-America lists. RB Ian Johnson will be done after what seems like 16 years in the program, but QB Kellen Moore is back as a seasoned sophomore working behind a veteran line. RBs Jeremy Avery and D.J. Harper are big-time playmakers to revolve the offense around, while corners Brandyn Thompson and Kyle Wilson will be as good a tandem as any in America. The defensive front seven loses some key players and some depth, but there are some great young linemen in Billy Winn and Ryan Winterswyk to get excited about.

Oklahoma
This is a pick on brand name. In a horrible year for senior NFL quarterback prospects, Sam Bradford will almost certainly be gone along with four starters on the offensive line. The defensive front should remain intact, while the defensive back seven should be a killer with the loss of FS Lendy Holmes and LB/S Nic Harris the two big loses. The running backs will be the strength early on, led by DeMarco Murray.

8. North Carolina
Next year is when the Butch Davis recruiting classes are going to kick in big-time. The skill players will be the question mark if WR Hakeem Nicks leaves early, as he has the talent to do, but there are a slew of interesting players, like RB Shaun Draughn and WR Greg Little, who should shine with a bigger role. The quarterback situation will be fine no matter if it’s T.J. Yates, Cam Sexton or Mike Paulus running the offense. Losing SS Trimaine Goddard will hurt, but the rest of the ball-hawking secondary returns. The outside linebacking pair of Quan Sturdivant and Bruce Carter might be the best in America, but the strength of the team could be Marvin Austin and a loaded defensive front.

LSU
Now we’ll see just how good the recruiting really has been. The offensive line will lose C Bret Helms, OG Herman Johnson, and junior OT Ciron Black, will all be off to the NFL, while the defensive line will have to go a wholesale change assuming Ricky Jean-Francois is gone to the draft, where he should be a first round draft pick. LB Darry Beckwith will graduate, but the rest of the back seven should be solid. The real key will be the receiving corps. Will Brandon LaFell leave early? Even if he’s gone, QBs Andrew Hatch and Jarrett Lee should be strong with Charles Scott, Keiland Williams and Richard Murphy will be there to hand off to.

6. Georgia
All of the injury issues on the offensive line should turn out to be a good thing going into next year with all five starters returning. Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno will be top ten draft picks if they take off early for the NFL, as expected, but the cupboard won’t be bare. Joe Cox isn’t Stafford, but he’s not bad, and Caleb King will be a special back. A.J. Green is one of America’s best young wide receivers, and he’ll have a little bit of help with TE Bruce Figgins and WR Michael Moore. The defense will lose its share of players early to the next level, but the Dawgs should reload. And if CB Asher Allen, FS Reshad Jones, and if, miracle of miracles, Stafford and/or Moreno return, move the ranking up higher.

5. Alabama
Remember, 2009 was supposed to be the year when everything was supposed to come together. Everything started working a year early.
If Greg McElroy going to be ready to take over for John Parker Wilson, or will Star Jackson take over the quarterback reigns? Whoever’s throwing will get a loaded receiving corps to throw to, led by Julio Jones, while the running back trio of Glen Coffee, Mark Ingram, and Terry Grant will be devastating. The Achilles heel early on should be an offensive line that loses center Antoine Caldwell and will almost certainly be without Andre Smith, who should leave early and be the first lineman taken in the 2009 draft. Star FS Rashad Johnson is gone, but nine starters return.

4. Oklahoma State
This will be the “it” team of 2009. Everyone will jump on the bandwagon with a loaded offense that’ll get all the key parts back except for TE Brandon Pettigrew, who’ll likely be the first tight end taken in the draft. WR Dez Bryant, QB Zac Robinson, and RBs Kendall Hunter & Keith Toston will all return, but the key will be the offensive line where center David Washington is gone. Left tackle Russell Okung will likely leave early for the NFL, but if he comes back, he’ll lead one of the nation’s best lines. The defense will have to replace the defensive tackles and most of the secondary.

Florida
Tim Tebow’s dad is checking in to see exactly what the NFL buzz is. The results are mixed so far, but Tebow should be back if he’s assured he’ll be developed as more of a pro passer. Even if he’s gone, Cameron Newton and John Brantley can produce in his place. Certain to be off to the big leagues will be Percy Harvin, but there are a slew of good receivers coming back along with most of the top running backs. The O line loses the tackles, but should be great inside. And then there’s the defense. LB Brandon Spikes will leave early and DE Jermaine Cunningham will be tempted, but the rest of the D returns intact. The secondary that’s relying so heavily on sophomores will be a killer.

2. Texas
Colt McCoy has already said he’s coming back for his senior season, and he’ll have a slew of good young receivers waiting to step up to take over for Jordan Shipley and Quan Cosby. The big key will be on offensive line that should welcome back four starters, only losing Cedric Dockery. Vondrell McGee, Cody Johnson, and Vondrell McGee will handle the running game. DEs Brian Orakpo and Henry Melton will be gone, but the extremely young secondary will be a year older and a year wiser. The real key will be defensive coordinator Will Muschamp. He’ll be on everyone’s head coaching short list, but there’s a chance he hangs around for another year and cherry picks from whatever job opening he wants at the end of 2009.

1. USC
This is a team three years in the making. Mark Sanchez is nuts if he doesn’t take off early for the NFL, but USC quarterbacks tend to stay as long as possible for seasoning. Even if he bolts, Mitch Mustain is more than just a fill-in, and Aaron Corp will certainly challenge for the job. Losing guard Jeff Byers will hurt, but everyone else returns on the offensive line including the backups. Receivers Damian Williams and Vidal Hazelton will be back along with tight end Anthony McCoy. The backfield will be devastating with Joe McKnight, C.J. Cable, Stafon Johnson and fullback Stanley Havili are all back for at least one more year, possibly two. The offense will have to put up a ton of points on the board until the defense comes around. Assume S Taylor Mays is gone early to the NFL, while CB Kevin Thomas could be gone, too. The linebacking corps is the biggest issue, replacing Rey Maualuga and Brian Cushing, while the defensive front loses star tackle Fili Moala and end Kyle Moore. It’s USC. There will be more defensive stars waiting to fill in.

Random Acts of Nutty … Provocative musings and tidbits to make every woman want you and every man want to be you (or vice versa) a.k.a. things I didn’t feel like writing bigger blurbs for.

- If you’re a fan of a mid-level team that’ll get to six wins but could be lost in the bowl shuffle, root for the better teams in the Pac 10 to lose, and root against Arizona State, UCLA and Stanford. It’ll be a mild upset for any of those three to get to a bowl game, leaving open a few Pac 10 bowl spots.

- No, this year’s Kansas team isn’t the same as last year’s ultra-efficient juggernaut, but the 2007 team didn’t play anyone of note until the Missouri game. A loss. This year, KU has to play Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas Tech from the South, and things haven’t been quite the same.

- Was Jeff Bower really that bad for Southern Miss? Larry Fedora has done a bit more for the offense, but the defense has hit the skids, along with the Golden Eagles. USM is on a five-game losing streak and has the nation’s 104<sup>th</sup> ranked defense.

- I don’t have records on this, but I have to believe Stanford has ever been a 30-point favorite against any Pac 10 team. The line is the Cardinal -30 over Washington State.

- The Big Ten has got to figure out how to get a fairer and more balanced schedule. Minnesota doesn’t play Michigan State or Penn State this year, and has Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa to go.

- There has to be a moratorium on the suggestion that a team has to “outscore Texas” to beat the Longhorns. Lee Corso has been guilty of this twice, and I’ve heard it say two other times. Instead, say a team’s offense will have to outplay the Texas offense in a shootout.

C.O.W. shameless gimmick item … The weekly five Overrated/Underrated aspects of the world
1) Overrated: Penn State promo song, “Its Your Time” ... Underrated: The ESPNU ad, “Reach For The Stars.”
2) Overrated: Illinois CB Vontae Davis… Underrated: San Francisco TE Vernon Davis
3) Overrated: Ohio State No. 1, Boston College No. 2, LSU No. 3 in the Oct. 21, 2007 BCS rankings... Underrated: Texas No.1, Alabama No. 2, Penn State No. 3 in the Oct. 26, 2008 BCS rankings
4) Overrated: Questions about when Paterno is going to retire ... Underrated: Paterno sitting by himself in the press box at halftime
5) Overrated: SEC East... Underrated: Big 12 South

“I hearby designate Colt McCoy, Texas as my First Choice to receive the Heisman Memorial Trophy awarded to the most outstanding college football player in the United States for 2008. To the best of my knowledge he conforms to the rules governing this vote.”

My Second Choice Is:
Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
My Third Choice Is: Graham Harrell, Texas Tech

“You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools/But that's the way I like it baby, I don't wanna live forever” … The three lines this week that appear to be a tad off.

2-1!!!! I break the grip of shame, at least temporarily, but not going 1-2! Ride the wave, baby. Ride the wave.

2-1 last week, 9-17-1 overall.

I press on by taking the three games I’m sure of … 1) Texas A&M -3 over Colorado, 2) East Carolina -3.5 over UCF, 3) Indiana -2.5 over Central Michigan

Last Week: 1) Alabama -6 over Tennessee (WIN), 2) Central Michigan -3.5 over Toledo (LOSS), 3) Tulsa -21.5 over UCF (WIN)

Sorry this column sucked, but it wasn’t my fault … it was going to be better, but the hedge fund that T. Boone Pickens created to finish the renovations lost $123 million in four months.

<table class="card"><tbody class="card-tbody"><tr></tr><tr><td class="ct c">
</td><td class="ctr c">
</td></tr><tr><td class="cl c">
</td><td class="cc c">8:54 AM (8 minutes ago)
West Virginia may be breaking away from the Big East, after all

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-92824584-1225206684.jpg
You're forgiven if you forgot about West Virginia, or just wrote the Mountaineers off. "Wild" could not have described your optimism, in fact, if you were still on the WVU bandwagon after mid-September: the 'Neers scored three points on a paltry 250 yards in a three-touchdown loss at East Carolina (which, you'll note, is not so much the headhunting mid-major giant, after all), badly mismanaged the clock in an overtime loss at Colorado (which, you'll note, is not handling that killer schedule so well, after all). Bill Stewart looked lost and sounded lost. He made the Bill Stewart Face. WVU struggled through close games against hapless Rutgers and Syracuse, both at home. Before last Thursday, you could have made a convincing argument the Mountaineers' best win was over I-AA Villanova. By last Friday, though, whatever you might think of Auburn's tackling, effort or resilience as its own season of pain rolls toward the cliff, you were probably thinking exactly what Randy Edsall was thinking Monday:
"They're really starting to hit their stride right now," Edsall added, referring to the Mountaineers' 34-17 pasting Thursday of Auburn. "They're starting to hit on all cylinders, which is scary for the rest of us here in the Big East. But I think they're very comparable to what they were a year ago."
A year ago, you might recall, Edsall's Huskies got pasted in Morgantown in the de facto Big East Championship, 66-21, just as Noel Devine was jittering his way into the full-time lineup (that was Devine's first game with double-digit carries: 11 for 118 of WVU's 517-yard massacre on the ground). Those were the Mountaineers we got in the Fiesta Bowl rout over Oklahoma, that we expected coming into the season, that we finally saw again in the second half against Auburn and that, with UConn and Pittsburgh dropping their first conference games in consecutive losses to Rutgers, and South Florida falling for the second time at Louisville, must be back in the conference driver's seat. The polls don't agree -- USF is the only Big East team in any of them, ranging from No. 23-25 in the AP, Coaches, BCS and initial Blog polls -- but West Virginia is alone at 2-0 in the conference standings, where the only other team that could conceivably be described as "ascending" at this point is Rutgers, which is crawling out of too deep a hole to play any role but spoiler.
It could be, of course, that Auburn is just that bad -- or the Thursday night atmosphere in Morgantown that electric, or something -- and the mediocre 'Neers of September will come roaring back with a vengeance in the conference's race to lose an automatic BCS bid. Could be. But if Edsall was right, confirming your preseason expectations (and your eyes, if you watched the comeback over the Tigers), we haven't seen the last of Pat White just yet, or even Bill Stewart. We'll see what happens at UConn.

<table class="card"><tbody class="card-tbody"><tr></tr><tr><td class="ct c">
</td><td class="ctr c">
</td></tr><tr><td class="cl c">
</td><td class="cc c">8:54 AM (8 minutes ago)
THE TENNESSEE DEFENESTRATION

from Every Day Should Be Saturday by Orson Swindle
Phil Fulmer is going out the window, but the question is how quickly, in what manner, and how much of the wall must be removed to move his prodigious legacy ass out of the way for whatever and whomever is next. 3rd Saturday in Blogtober claims to be sourced, the mainstream approach seems to be “um well we think he’s probably sorta good” because they don’t have ironclad sources but know he’s gone, and everyone else seems to be waiting for the hammer to fall.

Use ‘em while you can: donut jokes are about to be completely obsolete at Tennessee.
A velvety hammer strike it will be, though: like the gears of the Chinese politburo, the Orange Free State Republic’s inner workings are stodgy, hesitant to make unseemly or impolite moves, and prefer to avoid the banana republic antics of their fellow SEC schools in hiring and firing. (See: Auburn.) We know this for a fact, or at least internet fact-like substance: Fulmer’s agent Jimmy Sexton and AD Mike Hamilton have talked. We don’t know about what, but intuiting that this likely surrounds a buyout and the numbers involved is not an unreasonable or circuitous logic path.
Tennessee has plenty of money, meaning the coaching slate for a replacement is wide open, if ill-timed. If Gruden is your choice, he may make the playoffs, complicating the timing of any negotiations and fouling with your recruiting class; if it’s Lane Kiffin, you’re going up against Clemson and Washington in another case of Tennessee having to recruit coast-to-coast to get their personnel. The prevailing winds from Austin are that Muschamp is another year off from taking a head coaching job, and will likely wait it out as a highly-paid assistant under Mack Brown. However it happens, it will be complicated and involve much obsessing over FlightTracker.
(”Laverne! A plane left from Knoxville to Moscow! WE’RE GETTING PUTIN! HOOO–WEEEEE!”)
The goodbye will be slow, plodding, and will go down like an elephant being shot to death with a bb gun; or in other words, much like any of Tennessee’s teams in their losses over the past three years or so. But it is over in Knoxville. Your Krispy Kreme jokes, retire them: Fulmer, ever the company man, will coach nowhere else, and will instead spend his days raking in speaking fees and fishin’.

Muschamp tackles the subject of missed tackles

from Bevo Beat

Both Texas head coach Mack Brown and defensive coordinator Will Muschamp said that the Longhorns need to do a better job of tackling. Brown said this players missed 12 tackles against Oklahoma State, resulting in 125 yards after contact — an unacceptably high YAC total, in his mind.
“We’ve got to tackle better,” Muschamp said. “We’ve got to wrap better in the open field. We’ve got to get people on the ground better. You can’t butt people down in this league.”
That’s especially important against a team such as Texas Tech, which
Kirk Bohls asked Muschamp how much the Longhorns work on tackling at practice.
“We start Tuesday’s practice with a tackling circuit every week, and we use a thud tempo throughout our scout work and when we go against the offense, which I think is a good tackling teacher,” Muschamp said, referring to a technique of wrapping up the ball carrier without taking him to the ground. “That’s what we did in pro ball. It teaches you to bring your feet. It teaches you to wrap. It teaches you to go chest-to-chest in the open field. It teaches you to become a better tackler.”
Muschamp said the Tuesday tackling drill consists of five to 10 minutes spent going through four practice stations. “We make sure that everybody gets at least three pops at every station,” he said.
He said that preventing injury was the reason that Texas does not tackle more often in practice and prohibits things such as going low and slinging ball carriers to the ground.
He expressed confidence that Texas’ tackling woes against Oklahoma State were an anomaly.
“We’ll do that better. We’ve done it well all year,” he said.

At least we know what illicit substances North Texas players haven't been testing positive for

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-941866831-1225210403.jpg
I'm not "behind the scenes" at any specific college program, and even if I was, I'm not sure I'd be privy to the various ways players get they high on (or abstain from said high, as the case may be). So I can't say what might or might not be happening at North Texas, and certainly I am not suggesting that Mean Green coach Todd Dodge, right, is demonstrating any technique in particular after a spree of positive drug tests in Denton:
Fifteen University of North Texas football players failed a drug test conducted this fall at the request of head coach Todd Dodge, according to documents obtained by the Denton Record-Chronicle through the Freedom of Information Act.
Drug tests were conducted on a pool of 86 football players selected by the coaching staff. UNT tested members of the team who were contributing on a regular basis. Fifteen of those tests, or 17 percent, were positive.
The university did not release the names of the players or what drugs they tested positive for.
I can, however, say this: Whatever the illicit chemicals were, they certainly weren't performance-enhancing, because the one-time Sun Belt powerhouse is 0-8 and veering toward one of the worst seasons in modern history. The Mean Green have lost by five touchdowns on average, have only played one team (a 35-23 loss at UL-Monroe) closer than four touchdowns, and are last or next-to-last nationally in pass efficiency defense, passing yards allowed, total yards allowed and points allowed. The NCAA's online statistics only go back to 2000, but the worst defense of the decade over a full season is Eastern Michigan in 2002, which allowed 47.2 points per game. North Texas is currently giving up 50. It could be worse: Rice called off the dogs after running up 77 points in three quarters.
In case you were wondering, yes, this is the same place where assistant coaches got into a fistfight at halftime of a late season game in 2006. The players who tested positive will be subjected to counseling and additional testing, though it takes four positive tests to actually lose a scholarship, according to the Record-Chronicle. The law is never involved through the school or athletic department. There are no apparent suspensions. And since the entire team plays like it's high all the time, anyway, the offenders just blend right in on the field.

Sagarin: SEC is the fourth best conference

<script type="text/javascript"><!-- google_ad_client = "pub-0237893561790135"; google_ad_width = 300; google_ad_height = 250; google_ad_format = "300x250_as"; google_ad_type = "text_image"; //2007-11-27: entries, fanblogs, inpost google_ad_channel = "0603066557+5452098552+3119009114"; google_color_border = "FFFFFF"; google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; google_color_link = "003399"; google_color_text = "333333"; google_color_url = "999999"; google_ui_features = "rc:10"; //--> </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"> </script><script> window.google_render_ad(); </script><iframe name="google_ads_frame" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0237893561790135&dt=1225222011604&lmt=1225222010&format=300x250_as&output=html&correlator=1225222011603&channel=0603066557%2B5452098552%2B3119009114&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanblogs.com%2Fsec%2F007831.php&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=333333&color_link=003399&color_url=999999&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text_image&ea=0&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&frm=0&ui=rc%3A10&ga_vid=538575182.1225222011&ga_sid=1225222011&ga_hid=2031298671&ga_fc=true&flash=9.0.115&u_h=1024&u_w=1280&u_ah=1024&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-420&u_his=1&u_java=true&u_nplug=20&u_nmime=64" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" width="300" frameborder="0" height="250"></iframe> Now that we are well into the midst of the conference schedules, it's time to take an updated look at Jeff's Sagarin's Conference ratings.
The following are updated through October 27, 2008:

1 BIG 12 (78.18)
2 BIG TEN (77.24)
3 ATLANTIC COAST (76.97)
4 SOUTHEASTERN (76.54)
5 PAC-10 (74.33)
6 BIG EAST (73.44)
7 MOUNTAIN WEST (70.27)
8 I-A INDEPENDENTS (67.33)
9 WESTERN ATHLETIC (65.57)
10 MID-AMERICAN (65.18)
11 CONFERENCE USA (63.31)
12 SUN BELT (61.11)​
A find a couple facets of the current rankings rather fascinating:
- The SEC is the fourth best conference, top-to-bottom? Seriously? The SEC is 20-7 out-of-conference against DI-A teams this year. Granted, three of those seven losses are to the ACC, but... the ACC returned the favor in losing three to the SEC. Sagarin has three SEC teams in his top ten, but the ACC gets the slight nod when you contrast the middle and bottom of each conference, which makes sense when you consider that there are... like... forty-seven teams tied for first in the ACC.
- Is another non-BCS blowout in the offing? Cinderella teams from the WAC (Boise State), Mountain West (Utah, TCU), MAC (Ball State), and C-USA (Tulsa) are all looking to qualify into a BCS bowl this year. Sagarin's ratings would seem to indicate that their resumes might be lacking if and when they get to the big stage.
- The BCS conferences are head-and-shoulders above the non-BCS conferences. The separation between the Big East and Mountain West is statically significant, and I don't think we've seen any rankings that dispute that designation in the last four years.

Man, would I LOVE to be the chick behind her...hehe.

:smiley_acbe:

The cigarette while feeling up the chick is a nice touch.

Adding:

Texas/TT o76'

Think this will have to be a shootout, but every time we think that it doesn't happen.

It appears we will be forced to take Minnesota seriously

Breaking down the surprise winners you still don't trust down the stretch.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-277198344-1225226362.jpg
In lieu of this week's "Life on the Margins," I give you Gophers. Less than a year removed from closing out one of the truly rotten campaigns in Big Ten history, Minnesota's win at Purdue Saturday means the Gophers are entering November 7-1, 3-1 in the Big Ten, and one Penn State mishap from hoarding in on the Lions' path to the Rose Bowl. It's like Illinois' worst-to-first run to Pasadena last year, except Minnesota's 'worst' was even worse than the Illini's, and -- by record, anyway -- the Gophers are closer to first in the conference than Illinois ever actually was. Certainly no one saw anything like this coming.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-135529691-1225226703.jpg
Besides being stunning based on everything we knew about Minnesota coming into the year, that record is very good, and also lousy with red flags:
The Schedule. Iowa, Wisconsin and Northwestern are still ahead; Penn State, Michigan State and their combined 16-2 record are conspicuously absent. With Saturday's visitor, Northwestern, out of the polls this week following a loss to Indiana, it's very possible the Gophers can cruise to an 11-1 record without beating a single ranked team, like a less gaudy version of last year's Kansas Jayhawks (What is it with Glen Mason's former haunts? Hire this man, then fire him, take it easy outside the conference, get lucky with the tough conference teams you don't have to play and reap the rewards). The only Gopher victim so far with a winning record is Northern Illinois, which led Minnesota in the opener with less than 30 seconds to play before Minny punched in the winning touchdown. Even the I-AA (Montana State) and other mid-major patsies (Bowling Green and Florida Atlantic) are sitting at .500 or worse, as is Illinois following the Illini's loss to reeling Wisconsin.
The 'Margins' Thing. Aside from Florida Atlantic and, to a lesser extent, Purdue, the Gophers haven't exactly overwhelmed anyone. Their deficits in total yards and yards per play are small enough to call "Push," but not many teams are able to turn "Push" on a down-by-down basis into 7-1 in the big picture. How do you win when you're outgained by two full yards per play? Control the plays: against Indiana, Minnesota ran 81 plays to the Hoosiers' 48 and effectively took away an entire quarter in time of possession. How do you win while being outgained by 238 yards on the road? As I covered two weeks ago, it helps to get a pair of gift turnovers by Illinois inside its own 10-yard line, along with a missed field goal and a touchdown taken off the board on fourth down (a call I agree with, for the record, but which wasn't inevitable).
The Illinois win in particular brings us to the elephant in the chart ...
The Turnover Margin. Plus-15 is the best number in the country, but it's hard to trust any team that rides the giveaway/takeaway fairy to the bank. Minnesota led the nation in turnover margin under Glen Mason in 2006, too, eking out a bowl game by finishing +18, then immediately collapsed in '07 when that fortune didn't go its way again. Last year's national turnover leader, eerily, was Kansas, which also lost the only game it finished in the red (against Missouri). This year, KU is 1-3 when finishing in the 'Minus' column, where the only win was the frantic second half comeback over bottom dweller Iowa State. 2006 turnover leader TCU fell from 11-2 to a disappointing 8-5 with a negative margin in '07. Big turnover margins are hard to sustain
This same backslide can happen within a season, too: if the well dries up, I wouldn't expect the Gophers to win any of their last four based on the way they're actually playing offense and defense (except perhaps at Michigan, where the Wolverines have been far too sloppy to oblige that hypothetical).
Stretch Run Trust Level: Moderate, at best. The aspect that's clearly improved is the defense, which went from atrocious on a historic level to merely middle-of-the-pack, a dramatic leap over a single season. But the overall effect is the same -- the Gophers have improved from rock-bottom to average and parlayed a suspicious glut of fortune (seriously, 12 fumble recoveries in eight games?) into a nice record and a spot in the top-25 with no visible improvement on offense. Statistically, the offense has actually regressed compared to last year's numbers.
Give them credit for winning nine or ten or however many it ends up being. But if there's even a hint of a campaign to draft Minnesota into the BCS with 10 or 11 wins, please, for the sake of the game that would have to accept them and those precious three hours of your New Year, ignore it.

rj,

you are a gentlemen and a scholar for the pics, website and articles!...I've read that Hatch has a fracture in his leg and is out for four weeks...I'm still on LSU this week, they are prepping this Jefferson kid (highly touted freshman) to back up Lee this week...

Back