CFB - Week 1

GameHunter

Pretty much a regular
thefootball.gif
2007 CFB Season Record 112-95, +6.193 units

WEEK 1:

EAST CAROLINA +9.5 (2.5 UNITS) - The Pirates return 16 starters and were very competitive opening weekend last season against a more powerful Hokie squad. VT lost its top 4 WR's from last year and then lost WR Brandon Dillard to an Achilles injury and then projected WR starter Zach Luckett was suspended leaving their starting wideouts to be untested freshman. VT returns just 10 starters overall. Since taking over at ECU, Skip Holtz is 26-11 ATS and catches the Hokies in a good spot getting generous points in somewhat of a neutral site in Charlotte. This is a very strong ECU squad and they have the potential to pull off an outright upset.

ARKANSAS STATE +19 (2.25 UNITS) - New head coach Mike Sherman brings in a new style to College Station and a style that may take a little time for adjustment. QB McGee has to adjust to a pro style offense from an option style offense under Dennis Franchione and A&M is rebuilding in the trenches on both sides of the ball and returns just 10 starters and just one starter on the defensive front seven. Ark State has strong offensive weapons in QB Leonard and RB Arnold (6.6 ypc) and made a strong showing in last season's opener at Texas in a 21-13 loss as a 39 point dog where they outgained the Longhorns 397-340. Ark State was also very competitive in an early season loss at Tennessee last season.

IDAHO +27 (2.25 UNITS) - Arizona is 3-17 ATS their last 20 as a home favorite and returns just 3 starters on defense. Idaho was competeitve in two early season games last season against PAC 10 foes with covers at USC and at Washington State and returns 10 starters on offense including a top flight RB in Deonte Jackson who rushed for 1175 yards last season. Idaho will struggle on defense and Arizona will put up points (look for this game to go OVER), but difficult to see how Idaho won't stay within 27 points here when they should be able to score a bunch of points and could easily backdoor (not counting on needing that though) if they fall way behind.

MEMPHIS +8 (2.25 UNITS) - Ole Miss is another favorite adjusting to a new head coach and faces a very aggressive and tough veteran defense of Memphis. Meanwhile, Ole Miss has taken some huge losses on its defensive front as SEC sack leader, Greg Hardy is expected to miss a few months and NFL prospect, DT Peria Jerry will probably miss all of September. Memphis has a mobile QB in JUCO transfer Arkelon Hall who originally signed at Washington State and two tall W's in 6'* Singleton and 6'4" Calhoun, Memphis should generate some offense against a weak pass rush. Last year Memphis had a 467-275 yard advantage against Ole Miss and a 30-19 FD advantage but was victimized by 4 INT's and a blocked punt returned for a TD. Ole Miss will improve as the season progresses, but this is a good spot for the Tigers. Ole Miss is 13-25-2 ATS as a home favorite.

LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE +10.5 (2 UNITS) - Another double digit favorite ushering in a new head coach with just 10 returning starters. SMiss has limited experience at QB and has a big game on deck against Auburn. LL has 14 returning starters including QB Desormeaux and RB Fenroy who both rushed for more than 1000 yards last year. They were very competitive as a 28 point dog at South Carolina to open the 2007 season in a 28-14 loss.

MIAMI-OHIO -4 (1.5 UNITS) - Vandy returns just 9 starters this season and has the youngest offensive line in the country with no returning OL starters and they go into a MAC environment in front of a packed house (this is the first time Miami O has had a home game against an SEC foe since 1920) against the best defensive team in the MAC. Miami O returns 9 starters on a defense that allowed just 302 ypg last season. Vandy will be without leading receiver George Smith and seems to be in a tough spot for their opening game.

WESTERN KENTUCKY +20.5 (1.5 UNITS) - A lot of wood for Indiana to lay against a scrappy WKU team making their Division 1 debut, particular with Hoosier QB Kellen Lewis (leading rusher and passer) taking snaps with the second team during August due to disciplinary reasons. Indiana is susceptible to the pass and Hilltoppers run an effective spread offense with two quality QB's and will be playing with a lot of enthusiasm.

TEMPLE -7 (1.5 UNITS) - I realize that a team that is 2-29 straight up in its last 31 road games should never be laying points on the road, but I am willing to ignore the obvious. Last year Temple had a 25-14 FD advantage against Army and a 463-330 yard advantage yet lost 37-21 due to two special teams touchdowns and a defensive TD. Temple returns all 22 starters and has had all month to prepare for the option attack of Army. Temple has solid weapons in RB Liverpool, QB DiMichele and WR Shelton

WYOMING -11 (1.5 UNITS) - Have you ever been to Laramie when it is hot? I have. It feels like an elephant is sitting on your chest. Just ask the Virginia Cavaliers who found out opening weekend last year. Wyoming destroyed them 23-3 with a 27-5 FD advantage. The Pokes return 14 starters and stingy rush defense that allowed just 3.0 ypc and had the 22nd toughest defense last year in total yards allowed.

Good stuff GH.

Wyoming is certainly a forum favorite at CTG but I think it will be just fine.

GL this season.

Your WKU play just gained some value with Coach Lynch announcing the suspension of four players. Most notably, Greg Middleton, the nation's leader in sacks, is out for this game. Also, Troy Wagner, who started last year at TE is out. That is not nearly the loss of Middleton but it should be considered nonetheless.

I look for this to be a 31/28-17 type of game in IU's favor. By all accounts, IU's defense has improved (and gained a year of experience), but I expect the offense to be a bit rusty with Lewis missing the spring. The receiving core also took quite a hit from last year with the loss of Hardy and Bailey.

good to see game; i'm on miami, memphis, and ecu...also would lean your way on every other game you have. good to be on the same page and gl to ya this year

I like Idaho and Memphis. When I'm offered nearly half of the total on a spread, I tend to like it (Idaho); and anytime I can get points in a rivalry game that has been historically close, I am usually happy.

GL

Your WKU play just gained some value with Coach Lynch announcing the suspension of four players. Most notably, Greg Middleton, the nation's leader in sacks, is out for this game. Also, Troy Wagner, who started last year at TE is out. That is not nearly the loss of Middleton but it should be considered nonetheless.

I look for this to be a 31/28-17 type of game in IU's favor. By all accounts, IU's defense has improved (and gained a year of experience), but I expect the offense to be a bit rusty with Lewis missing the spring. The receiving core also took quite a hit from last year with the loss of Hardy and Bailey.

Excellent info Dolly!

I just noticed that. Found an awesome injury info site but don't know if I am allowed to post it here.

Great stuff GH, as a WAC follower, I like that Idaho play.....Deontae Jackson at RB is a true BCS starter in the WAC....misplaced and way below his talent level.

Jackson had some injuries and "only" rushed for 1175 yards, and this is when the entire defenses were focused on him. I can only imagine what his yardage would be if he had a half decent QB and Offensive line.....

A huge stretch of comparison, but when you watch him run, he is like Adrian Peterson, runs hard and with disregard for his health....

Probably my favorite player to watch in the WAC......:popcorn:

I like your card a lot, game.
I'll be joining you on Temle, Memphis, Idaho, and Memphis at least.
Plaudits on the write-ups too. Pithy but concise.
I wish I could explain my rationale as well as you do.
bull (taurus) :cheers:

Back