CFB Rankings Week #3

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
What a shakeup....kinda shook, but maybe not, huh?

1- Bama....they are pretty good, huh?
2- Ville....I think....?
3- tOSU...I guess..?
4- Wisky...maybe..?

Take a shot CTG lol

1 Bama
2 Clemson
T3 Ohio St
T3 Michigan
4 Ville

I wonder if we see this for the 1st time .... 2 teams ranked the same?
Its bound to happen ... right

1 Bama
2 Clemson
T3 Ohio St
T3 Michigan
4 Ville

I wonder if we see this for the 1st time .... 2 teams ranked the same?
Its bound to happen ... right

Nah, it seems doubtful they'd have a tie in the rankings, especially in the Top 4. I'm just not sure I see the reasoning for having a tie, since the top 4 make the playoff.

Bama
W Mich
Lousiville
tOSU

No I don't really think WMU is the 2nd best team in the country, but they're undefeated so they deserve a shot. More than likely, if they did somehow get an actual fair shake, they'd be at 4 but I'm putting them at 2 because they're one of the only 2 undefeated teams in the country. We've been discussing this for a couple of years, but if a team who is undefeated has virtually no shot at getting in the playoff, what is the point of them even playing, and how is that fair in any way, shape, or form?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Western Michigan, I root for them. I live in Michigan, I partied countless times at their school. My stepfather went there. They are not a top 4 team in the country so they do not deserve to be in the playoff. You cannot compare playing in the MAC to having the stresses and weekly battle teams do in the bigger conferences.

I know the argument, like the Houston's (who's team ly was much better than western this year) and so on have beaten big names in bigger bowl games. But lets remember those teams motivational level playing a team like that in a meaningless bowl game when they are worried about going pro counts for something. I have won a lot of $$ fading teams like that, we all have probably. In a Final 4 that won't be the case. I wish I could sit here and beat their drum, but I just can't. Now over a 2 loss team, no problem. But over a one loss Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, Washington sorry I can't. If those teams get in with 2 losses its a shame. Over any Big 12 two loss team, Wiscy or Penn State, sure.

So I'm cool with it, lets just hope those other guys get upset and it comes down to a 2 loss team or Western. Sign me up for Western vs Bama.......

Bama and OSU are obvious 1 and 2 (not sure why Clemson or mich would be tied with OSU)

after that who the F knows but I would have to go

Lville
Clemson
Mich

I like Western Michigan, I root for them. I live in Michigan, I partied countless times at their school. My stepfather went there. They are not a top 4 team in the country so they do not deserve to be in the playoff. You cannot compare playing in the MAC to having the stresses and weekly battle teams do in the bigger conferences.

I know the argument, like the Houston's (who's team ly was much better than western this year) and so on have beaten big names in bigger bowl games. But lets remember those teams motivational level playing a team like that in a meaningless bowl game when they are worried about going pro counts for something. I have won a lot of $$ fading teams like that, we all have probably. In a Final 4 that won't be the case. I wish I could sit here and beat their drum, but I just can't. Now over a 2 loss team, no problem. But over a one loss Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, Washington sorry I can't. If those teams get in with 2 losses its a shame. Over any Big 12 two loss team, Wiscy or Penn State, sure.

So I'm cool with it, lets just hope those other guys get upset and it comes down to a 2 loss team or Western. Sign me up for Western vs Bama.......

Which is it, though? I mean you cannot say the rugged schedule is meaningful and then say the only reason they lose to a MAC school in the bowl is because they are not rugged and they look past them or don't care about the game. That means Western has to win all these games against lessers and be motivated every week where as Bama gets to be excited to play every week. Just tell me which way is the advantage but don't always move the goal posts so that it is a disadvantage for Bama when they play Central Michigan in a bowl but an advantage for Western Michigan when they play Central Michigan in the regular season.

so basically the playoffs is laid out baring any crazy losses going forward which i guess is possible

bama is def in
vill looks locked barring a loss
clemson looks locked barring a loss
osu/mich will play for a virtual playoff game in 2wks where u expect winner in loser out.. the only scenario where that didnt happen was a undefeated michigan loses a nailbiter to OSU and maybe as a 1 loss team bounces ville.... but with the loser having 2 losses tough to see either staying in hunt

so matchups would be
1 Bama/4Ville one would presume
2osu/mich vs 3clemson

interesting matchups........ still think Bama is head n shoulders above rest... ville is interesting on O but bama should roll em.... osu/clem would be better matchup then mich/clem//// not sold on michigan their D is nasty but they are so limited on offense that clemson D should have no problem putting a game plan together.....tough to win a game when u cant really score 20pts vs a stout team.. osu has had there struggles on O same can be said as Clemson one would think Clemson finds a way Vs either big 10 school setting up a rematch of last yrs game where i think would be better and more entertaining then this years... Bama may be better then last yr team on D i definetly think they are... offensively Hurt is getting better n better.... something is off with Clemson this yr maybe its complacency or expectations thats weighing them down.. maybe once playoffs come or the fact they suffered there first loss since the title game it will even relax them a bit...odd theory i know but sometimes the expectation of having to go undefeated weighs on a team , now they got there first L they still control there destiny maybe loosens them up a bit..... still think they have best chance to beat Bama..... OSU could to cuz of suburban meyer he in Saban head but again something missing with OSU this yr on offense.... everyone wants to see ville vs them cuz of lamar jackson but bama D this yr is built to stop dynamic QB and ville D stinks

If Strength of Schedule is a big deal then you have to rank West Virginia over Michigan, Louisville, and Washington, assuming they have played a tougher strength of schedule (I only looked at sagarin strength of schedule rankings).

Anyway

1. Bama
2. Western Michigan
3. Clemson
4. Ohio State

5. West Virginia

so basically the playoffs is laid out baring any crazy losses going forward which i guess is possible

bama is def in
vill looks locked barring a loss
clemson looks locked barring a loss
osu/mich will play for a virtual playoff game in 2wks where u expect winner in loser out.. the only scenario where that didnt happen was a undefeated michigan loses a nailbiter to OSU and maybe as a 1 loss team bounces ville.... but with the loser having 2 losses tough to see either staying in hunt

so matchups would be
1 Bama/4Ville one would presume
2osu/mich vs 3clemson

interesting matchups........ still think Bama is head n shoulders above rest... ville is interesting on O but bama should roll em.... osu/clem would be better matchup then mich/clem//// not sold on michigan their D is nasty but they are so limited on offense that clemson D should have no problem putting a game plan together.....tough to win a game when u cant really score 20pts vs a stout team.. osu has had there struggles on O same can be said as Clemson one would think Clemson finds a way Vs either big 10 school setting up a rematch of last yrs game where i think would be better and more entertaining then this years... Bama may be better then last yr team on D i definetly think they are... offensively Hurt is getting better n better.... something is off with Clemson this yr maybe its complacency or expectations thats weighing them down.. maybe once playoffs come or the fact they suffered there first loss since the title game it will even relax them a bit...odd theory i know but sometimes the expectation of having to go undefeated weighs on a team , now they got there first L they still control there destiny maybe loosens them up a bit..... still think they have best chance to beat Bama..... OSU could to cuz of suburban meyer he in Saban head but again something missing with OSU this yr on offense.... everyone wants to see ville vs them cuz of lamar jackson but bama D this yr is built to stop dynamic QB and ville D stinks
How does the ACC get multiple teams in the playoff that have a loss? So the winner of the ACC Atlantic gets in and the other gets a free pass at 4?

i think ville falls to 4 based on conf champs trumpin em.... but Wash wisky penn st will get in over ville....... those are the only teams that will threaten them..... and wash i believe would be only team that is conf champ

Yea I was going to ask about Washington if they won out and won conference championship over Ville.

Or maybe an undefeated conference champ Western Michigan????

i think those teams wont jump ville in my opinion .... okla comes all the way up and jumps to 4 as big 12 champ i guess is only team.... 2 loss wisky 2 loss penn st wont jump em

so based off that i would think... wash or okla would have case to jump ville. but that was a bad loss for wash.. and okla still has a bad houston loss on there schedule and ville would have beaten hou if they win out.... but committee has show in yrs past they have no problem putting a team in without winnin conf.... and if ville positions themselves at 3 and sits there rest of playoffs will committee put them there just to drop em once the right teams win conf titles from 3 to 5.....

i guess if they do that then it shows committee favs conf champs which would be contradictory cuz they say that isnt end all be all

furthermore it would show these weekly rankings are shit and just for tv ratings to put a team there and then each week reveal that they drop until they are out in final... for that just do 1 in dec and dont give teams hope when in reality they had no hope.. i think its dumb to do it and then say well this team jumped the other cuz over last 2 weeks there schedule got tougher and won bigger games...... for that just wait till end till it all plays out

who gets in above ville........ hey will be ranked 3..... so they will fall to 5 based on not playing?

Isn't that what happened to TCU 2 years ago? Was #3 the week before conference champ games, fell to 5 even though they won that weekend, albeit not a conf champ game?

yes u are correct but didnt we know that going into it.. there were teams that would jump em if they won.... this yr are the teams strong enough to jump a 1 loss ville team... these teams would all have 2 losses except Wash who isnt that good and schedule is weak

Which is it, though? I mean you cannot say the rugged schedule is meaningful and then say the only reason they lose to a MAC school in the bowl is because they are not rugged and they look past them or don't care about the game. That means Western has to win all these games against lessers and be motivated every week where as Bama gets to be excited to play every week. Just tell me which way is the advantage but don't always move the goal posts so that it is a disadvantage for Bama when they play Central Michigan in a bowl but an advantage for Western Michigan when they play Central Michigan in the regular season.

Meaningless bowl games to regular season trying to get in to Ship apples and oranges. Figure it out.

yes u are correct but didnt we know that going into it.. there were teams that would jump em if they won.... this yr are the teams strong enough to jump a 1 loss ville team... these teams would all have 2 losses except Wash who isnt that good and schedule is weak

Wasn't Ohio St the beneficiary after beating the brakes off Wisconsin in the B1G Champ game? They weren't a lock to get in if I recall. I really wish they hadn't to be honest

How does Oklahoma deserve to be ranked higher than Penn State? Penn State beat Ohio State, OU lost by 21 at home. OU lost by 10 to Houston at Reliant, PSU lost to Pitt by 3 at Heinz on final drive. Pitt just beat Clemson and would be favored over Houston. Big 12 love is funny. Just look at their schedules and their margin of victory.

Big 12 is like if you went to a bar full of 4s and the 5 is the one u got with. Yeah u got the hottest chick in the bar, but she was Fugly.

Cant wait to hear the morons rave about the winner of Overrated U vs West Vag this weekend. Someone's gotta win.

Is clemson really still gonna get in? I would be very pissed if that happens. They lost at home to Pitt as 21 pt favs, and almost lost to freakin NC State if not for a missed chip shot. This is not a top 4 team and I really don't want to see them in.

I MEAN MICHIGAN LOST AS 21 PT FAVS..... AND the yr ur talkin bout OSU didnt they lose braxoton and JT so them blowing the doors off wisky allowed them to get in showing they had no QB deficiency

i mean this is first yr since playoff started where u have more undeserving teams rather then deserving so someone will get in with a bad loss IMO..... i just dont see how wisky/penn st/ wash/ oklahoma/ WVU jump those teams...... and thats who clemson/ville are up against a bunch of 2 loss teams except Wash who has one of the worst out of conf schedules ... WVU i guess if they win out will have 1 loss and could be the sleeper team but they dot have a title game but would the the conf champs wonder if not having a title game would hurt them.... (if thats possible considering ville gets in as a non champ)

Is clemson really still gonna get in? I would be very pissed if that happens. They lost at home to Pitt as 21 pt favs, and almost lost to freakin NC State if not for a missed chip shot. This is not a top 4 team and I really don't want to see them in.

The missed field goal is irrelevant. Clemson is 50-50 with its last-second FG luck, which isn't very lucky when you consider the quality of the kickers. Clemson has a better resume than Louisville. Clemson has the same record against a much-tougher schedule, plus the head-to-head win. Moreover, there's the issue of UL's close calls against UVA, Duke, and Wake, all of which are a lot worse than any team that challenged Clemson. The only teams that could reasonably be ranked ahead of Clemson are Michigan, Ohio State, and Alabama. Well, guess what? It's a four-team playoff.

You have to pick four teams. I guess you won't be advocating an eight-team playoff any time soon.

Nah, it seems doubtful they'd have a tie in the rankings, especially in the Top 4. I'm just not sure I see the reasoning for having a tie, since the top 4 make the playoff.

Bama
W Mich
Lousiville
tOSU

No I don't really think WMU is the 2nd best team in the country, but they're undefeated so they deserve a shot. More than likely, if they did somehow get an actual fair shake, they'd be at 4 but I'm putting them at 2 because they're one of the only 2 undefeated teams in the country. We've been discussing this for a couple of years, but if a team who is undefeated has virtually no shot at getting in the playoff, what is the point of them even playing, and how is that fair in any way, shape, or form?

Who cares if it is fair , most viewers and fans have no interest in watching western Michigan in a college football playoff.

Maybe college football should have like a NIT type playoff , put some mac and big12 teams in it

If Western Michigan thinks it's team is worthy of consideration on the national level, schedule better power 5 opponents in your non-con schedule. If we are whining about 'you have to give undefeated teams a chance' then none of those smaller conference teams will ever schedule difficult because they will just get in if they go undefeated. Not all teams and conferences are created equal. Sucks but that is what it is. If anyone thinks WMU could keep it within 28 of Bama in a meaningful game by all means convince me.

I am usually one to give the smaller schools a fair shake but to be at least considered for the playoff I think you need to have beaten a top 25 opponent at least once during the year.

If Western Michigan thinks it's team is worthy of consideration on the national level, schedule better power 5 opponents in your non-con schedule. If we are whining about 'you have to give undefeated teams a chance' then none of those smaller conference teams will ever schedule difficult because they will just get in if they go undefeated. Not all teams and conferences are created equal. Sucks but that is what it is. If anyone thinks WMU could keep it within 28 of Bama in a meaningful game by all means convince me.
I am usually one to give the smaller schools a fair shake but to be at least considered for the playoff I think you need to have beaten a top 25 opponent at least once during the year.

LSU wins out, I bet they get WMU in the Sugar, should they win out also.

Then we see what they got.

What a shakeup....kinda shook, but maybe not, huh?

1- Bama....they are pretty good, huh?
2- Ville....I think....?
3- tOSU...I guess..?
4- Wisky...maybe..?
Take a shot CTG lol

Anyone have anything closets this?
Clempson just doesn't do it for me(no dis to CTG guys)....
No one has Wisky right there?

Guess if I am gonna rant I should post mine. I am a big believer in conference champs over anything else if all other things are equal (like an upset by some 4 loss scrub from the Coastal), so mine at this point knowing what we know would be:

1-Bama (they can afford one loss IMO, whether that be Auburn or the SEC title game)
2-ACC champ assuming its Clemson or Louisville
3/4-Big 10 champ (regardless if its Michigan, Ohio State, Penn St or Wisconsin)...3 seed or 4 depends on who the winner is
3/4-Depends on the final games, but Washington if they win out and win the Pac 12...if they get upset then the winner of OU-WVU assuming they don't lose their other game...depending on who this is and the above Big10 champ would be the difference in a 3 or 4 seed

Last edited:
It's tough to see both Clemson and Louisville making it as one of them won't even make the conference championship game. It'd be awfully tough to justify a team not even making their conference title game being in the playoff over other teams who would seemingly be as deserving.

It's tough to see both Clemson and Louisville making it as one of them won't even make the conference championship game. It'd be awfully tough to justify a team not even making their conference title game being in the playoff over other teams who would seemingly be as deserving.

The idea of any conference getting two teams is ridiculous enough ... beyond ridiculous enough ... but the idea of a team that couldn't even win their division making the playoffs is flat out absurd. Could not agree more.

Who cares if it is fair , most viewers and fans have no interest in watching western Michigan in a college football playoff.

Maybe college football should have like a NIT type playoff , put some mac and big12 teams in it

Right. As long as we are upfront about the fact we are making the games for tv and not determining a champion. Some on here appear ok with that concept. I am not. But regardless, it would be nice for us to just admit what we are talking about to begin with ... the fact that if Western Michigan is the best team, it will never matter in this system. Not this year, not any year. It is predetermined that they cannot win the national title game whether they are the 30th best team or the best team ... that isn't sports in my opinion ... you guys prefer figure skating judges to actual objective measures. Works well for boxing at least ... oh wait ....

Right. As long as we are upfront about the fact we are making the games for tv and not determining a champion. Some on here appear ok with that concept. I am not. But regardless, it would be nice for us to just admit what we are talking about to begin with ... the fact that if Western Michigan is the best team, it will never matter in this system. Not this year, not any year. It is predetermined that they cannot win the national title game whether they are the 30th best team or the best team ... that isn't sports in my opinion ... you guys prefer figure skating judges to actual objective measures. Works well for boxing at least ... oh wait ....

see I don't even think they are really coy about it anymore, pretty much anyone that follows this sports knows ratings play somewhat of a factor in this

also, this is a sport that used to determine a champion by polls, so I'm ok with the system now. Add more teams, then I fear Ville/Clemson, OHio State/Michigan, etc doesn't mean as much.

I can live with Western Michigan not getting a shot.

see I don't even think they are really coy about it anymore, pretty much anyone that follows this sports knows ratings play somewhat of a factor in this

also, this is a sport that used to determine a champion by polls, so I'm ok with the system now. Add more teams, then I fear Ville/Clemson, OHio State/Michigan, etc doesn't mean as much.

I can live with Western Michigan not getting a shot.

I can respect the honesty of why you are ok with it, and agree it is better than the prior system.

As long as the person defending leaving western Michigan out is admitting we are not determining a true champion and an undefeated western Michigan would have a claim as champion then I can at least respect the rest of what they are saying. If you don't think an undefeated western Michigan has a claim to the championship and accept the playoff winner as a true champion, rather than make-believe-land champion, then I cannot have respect for that line of thought.

That is just my opinion. And everyone knows opinions are like Detroit187. We all have one.

It'd be awfully tough to justify a team not even making their conference title game being in the playoff over other teams who would seemingly be as deserving.

This will probably be the case with tOSU though. Right now PSU holds the tie breaker and would go to the conference championship game. For tOSU to go, they have to win out and have PSU lose to Rutgers or Michigan State (my guess is they win both of those games).

Back