CFB Playoff Rankings Discussion...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Well, they put BYU down at 14.

Georgia is way too high, albeit the quality losses.

Thoughts?

Well, they put BYU down at 14.

Georgia is way too high, albeit the quality losses.

Thoughts?
I have no problem with BYU down at 14 given their schedule, and yes totally understand that they are somewhat a victim of circumstance, that is a part of life, so have no issues with 14, and this is coming from a guy who loves betting on them. Wish they could have made that UW game happen as I would have definitely played BYU in that one.

Listening to Heather D??? talk about what it would take to get Cincy into the playoffs is infuriating. She gives two scenarios (ND over Clemson in ACC, BAMA over UF in SEC). Agree on both....But then throws in A&M, which will not play for the conference and has already lost to BAMA. Why the fuck would they even be in the conversation, other than having the SECs cock shoved so far up your ass, you taste shit is beyond me. If not now,when assholes?? Blame it on COVID. You blame it for everything else.

Listening to Heather D??? talk about what it would take to get Cincy into the playoffs is infuriating. She gives two scenarios (ND over Clemson in ACC, BAMA over UF in SEC). Agree on both....But then throws in A&M, which will not play for the conference and has already lost to BAMA. Why the fuck would they even be in the conversation, other than having the SECs cock shoved so far up your ass, you taste shit is beyond me. If not now,when assholes?? Blame it on COVID. You blame it for everything else.
Ags beat fla so they win the East.
Yes I’m joking.

I have no problem with BYU down at 14 given their schedule, and yes totally understand that they are somewhat a victim of circumstance, that is a part of life, so have no issues with 14, and this is coming from a guy who loves betting on them. Wish they could have made that UW game happen as I would have definitely played BYU in that one.
Yeah, the schedule sucks. They got screwed by the Rona as their schedule had power 5 teams etc.

don’t disagree with anything you saying but I don’t think I would favor 13 teams ahead of byu on a neutral field right now. It’s late and I’m not putting a ton of thought into this so I might be able to be talked out this position, this 1st I’m hearing/reading the rankings so just initial reaction. I know the schedule blows but still feel pretty confident saying byu a top 10 team.

amen brotha

I absolutely hate the playoff committee and all the discussion around it. And I hate their rankings.

Cincinnati should be ranked ahead of Ohio State.

Cincy's FBS opponents have a 62% winning percentage in their other games (excluding the losses Cincy gave them). 33-20 (beat four teams with winning records-Army, Memphis, SMU, UCF and one .500 team-Houston)

Ohio State has only beaten one team with a winning record. OSU’s opponents are a combined 47.5% 9-10 excluding the 4 losses Ohio State gave them.

Is one good win vs Indiana worth more than 4 good wins over solid mid-major teams? Ohio State beat Indiana by 7. Cincy has beat their four opponents with winning records by 21 points on average.

Why do we care about what the Ohio State roster looks like, or their "firepower". Don't results of games matter most? Actually no it doesn't. People want to just hand pick who they want and they will manipulate any argument for or against to justify what they want. It's why they reduced the impact the computers had in the early BCS rankings because the human poll influence wasn't influential enough.

So many things need changed. It's not even worth getting into to it. But fuck the committee. A dozen computers and averaging their ranking result would do a better job.

Here is a question...if Ohio State played Cincinnati's schedule where would Ohio State rank? I think we know the answer. There in lies the problem.

I absolutely hate the playoff committee and all the discussion around it. And I hate their rankings.

Cincy's FBS opponents have a 62% winning percentage in their other games (excluding the losses Cincy gave them). 33-20 (beat four teams with winning records-Army, Memphis, SMU, UCF and one .500 team-Houston)

Ohio State has only beaten one team with a winning record. OSU’s opponents are a combined 47.5% 9-10 excluding the 4 losses Ohio State gave them.

Is one good win vs Indiana worth more than 4 good wins over solid mid-major teams? Ohio State beat Indiana by 7. Cincy has beat their four opponents with winning records by 21 points on average.

Why do we care about what the Ohio State roster looks like, or their "firepower". Don't results of games matter most? Actually no it doesn't. People want to just hand pick who they want and they will manipulate any argument for or against to justify what they want. It's why they reduced the impact the computers had in the early BCS rankings because the human poll influence wasn't influential enough.

So many things need changed. It's not even worth getting into to it. But fuck the committee. A dozen computers and averaging their ranking result would do a better job.

Here is a question...if Ohio State played Cincinnati's schedule where would Ohio State rank? I think we know the answer. There in lies the problem.
Let me ask you this. Why couldn’t BYU just play Cinci? BYU takes games as they come available or willing to.

the other Independent school ND in the mix just “joins” the ACC when the fuck they want to.

Interesting all around.

Let me ask you this. Why couldn’t BYU just play Cinci? BYU takes games as they come available or willing to.

the other Independent school ND in the mix just “joins” the ACC when the fuck they want to.

Interesting all around.

My understanding on Cincinnaiti - BYU potential has to do with conference obligations and commitments. The AAC is fine to have Cincy play BYU, but they are not fine doing so at the expense of their own conference schedule. And I get that. Winning a conference championship should matter. Games against your league peers should matter. It used to matter. But now all anyone cares about is the playoff. The playoff is ruining everything. It's all people care about, it's all they think other people should care about.

I'm not even sure having Cincinnati play BYU would benefit Cincinnati. BYU is ranked, I don't even know, but they are outside the top12 I think? The only thing that can help Cincinnati is having teams in front of them drop. It would help BYU to move up, but that isn't the AAC's concern in wanting to help BYU do anything.

Cincy just had some covid issues lead to their Temple game last week get canceled. So they have this week off, but if they are not at full strength or have some weaknesses, why risk playing BYU out of conference, maybe they lose or suffer some injuries then they have to comeback and still play Tulsa and the AAC title game. Playing BYU really does not make sense for Cincinnati.

My understanding on Cincinnaiti - BYU potential has to do with conference obligations and commitments. The AAC is fine to have Cincy play BYU, but they are not fine doing so at the expense of their own conference schedule. And I get that. Winning a conference championship should matter. Games against your league peers should matter. It used to matter. But now all anyone cares about is the playoff. The playoff is ruining everything. It's all people care about, it's all they think other people should care about.
If I’m running the American. I’d do it. Make a little noise to the group of 5

I’m of course in a dream world and I’m having a little fun. Also just found it in these times being an Independent in CFB is actually worth something

never forget that

Believe I heard Aresco say that he wasn't sure Cincy playing and beating BYU would help. That's the problem. Throw yourself on the altar of the playoff committee at the expense of your league commitments and the end result would be what? Maybe Cincy moves to #6? Screw the committee anyway.

BYU / Coastal this week would be awesome! Hopefully it happens.....

I remember the first time I heard of "Coastal Carolina", prior to them "making it". Y'all remember this?? Lol, up there with the Gundy "I'm a man, I'm 40" presser and the Hawkins "go play intramurals, brother" presser.

Believe I heard Aresco say that he wasn't sure Cincy playing and beating BYU would help. That's the problem. Throw yourself on the altar of the playoff committee at the expense of your league commitments and the end result would be what? Maybe Cincy moves to #6? Screw the committee anyway.
Cincy won’t get helped unless they go play someone ahead of them. A top 15 opponent doesn’t close the gap enough. They’d have to go get one of the big fish

games don’t matter at all. I heard cowherd a few days ago basically say games should count for 25%! Lmfao. Sad but appears true. The old bcs days were way more fair than this horseshoe committee. Go back to the computer and just take 4 instead of 2!!! Anything that has BYU outside the top 10 is a absolute crock of shit. So there the real problem, eye test only counts when it suites the teams they want in! Cause eye test screams BYU should be a top 5-6 team!!

Five of the six computer rankings the BCS used have rankings this season (no Peter Wolf). Four of the five have Cincinnati in the top 5, one has them #2! But the BCS threw out the teams highest and lowest rank and averaged the remaining 4, so the outlier of Cincy at 2 (Colley) and Cincy at 11 (sagarin) would get dropped and their remaining average would be between 5th, 5th and 5th. They are ranked ahead of Ohio State in none, but are immediately behind them in two (4th to 5th).

I loved the BCS rankings. I thought it was great. But not enough human control for the power that be. They tried to weaken it then ultimately just abolished it for an all human panel and unqualified people to make these decisions.

Find some more computers and do it that way. ESPN could still have their show and debate it all. Human bias and ulterior motives suck in the process. Some complained that computers have bias based on their programs, which can be true. But that is why you throw out the highest and lowest rank and just average the remainders to eliminate skewed results.

What really needs to happen is the NCAA needs to reclassify FBS. 130 teams. Alabama should not be classified in the same division as UAB. Ohio State should not be classified the same as Kent State. Clemson should not be classified the same as Coastal Carolina.

Break FBS into two and have two 4 team playoffs using only computer rankings to determine the eligible teams.

That is what I would do. There are pros and cons with it. There is with everything. Think that would be way better than we have now.

Five of the six computer rankings the BCS used have rankings this season (no Peter Wolf). Four of the five have Cincinnati in the top 5, one has them #2! But the BCS threw out the teams highest and lowest rank and averaged the remaining 4, so the outlier of Cincy at 2 (Colley) and Cincy at 11 (sagarin) would get dropped and their remaining average would be between 5th, 5th and 5th. They are ranked ahead of Ohio State in none, but are immediately behind them in two (4th to 5th).

I loved the BCS rankings. I thought it was great. But not enough human control for the power that be. They tried to weaken it then ultimately just abolished it for an all human panel and unqualified people to make these decisions.

Find some more computers and do it that way. ESPN could still have their show and debate it all. Human bias and ulterior motives suck in the process. Some complained that computers have bias based on their programs, which can be true. But that is why you throw out the highest and lowest rank and just average the remainders to eliminate skewed results.

What really needs to happen is the NCAA needs to reclassify FBS. 130 teams. Alabama should not be classified in the same division as UAB. Ohio State should not be classified the same as Kent State. Clemson should not be classified the same as Coastal Carolina.

Break FBS into two and have two 4 team playoffs using only computer rankings to determine the eligible teams.

That is what I would do. There are pros and cons with it. There is with everything. Think that would be way better than we have now.

any idea vastly better than we have now. 13 ppl with obvious agendas who know next to nothing about the sport damn sure isn’t the right way to go about it!! Where would the computers have BYU? Cincy might be more deserving but I think BYU better than them.

any idea vastly better than we have now. 13 ppl with obvious agendas who know next to nothing about the sport damn sure isn’t the right way to go about it!! Where would the computers have BYU? Cincy might be more deserving but I think BYU better than them.

Anderson BYU #7
Billingsly (with MOV) BYU #6
Colley BYU #4
Massey BYU #7
Sagarin BYU #9
Wolfe - no rankings

So the 4 and the 9 get thrown out and the remainder would be averaged to 6.66. The number of the Beast! Not sure Mormons want anything to do with that number!

I just noticed that Billingsley with margin of victory has Cincy #3. Without MOV they were #5. So that would change my prior post a little on where their final rank would be.

Anderson BYU #7
Billingsly (with MOV) BYU #6
Colley BYU #4
Massey BYU #7
Sagarin BYU #9
Wolfe - no rankings

So the 4 and the 9 get thrown out and the remainder would be averaged to 6.66. The number of the Beast! Not sure Mormons want anything to do with that number!

lol. That most def a more fair and accurate ranking for them imo. I’d love for them to play cincy and they let the winner in!!! I heard a idea I thought was pretty great even tho never happen (assuming we gotta keep the committee approach). The idea was teams leave a open spot or 2 at end of year and committee says “we wanna see team A play team B” then they play, that be pretty awesome!! Obviously not having the 1-2-3 play but a perfect scenario would be byu/cincy, or one of them playing whatever power 5 they have in the 4-5 spot!

Lemme ask you guys this:

If it ends up being --- Bama, ND, Clem, tOSU --- would that really be some sort of travesty? Would you say those 4 teams are not most likely the best 4 college football teams in the country this season?

I mean, I get the "but this and that, etc" .....but, in my own personal opinion, we almost always (if not just "always") get the 4 best college football teams in anyway. And I don't think there could ever be an argument made that the actual best team or even three best teams didn't get in the CFP in any given year. And I'd take it a step further and say the teams that are typically argued for (like UCF) would stand zero chance whatsoever vs the eventual national champions.

What would be fun would be like an "NIT" version of college football where the next 4 get in for their own lil 4 team/2 week tournament..... This year you could have your Cincy's, BYU's, etc. It'll never happen, but, it'd be fun.

Lemme ask you guys this:

If it ends up being --- Bama, ND, Clem, tOSU --- would that really be some sort of travesty? Would you say those 4 teams are not most likely the best 4 college football teams in the country this season?

I mean, I get the "but this and that, etc" .....but, in my own personal opinion, we almost always (if not just "always") get the 4 best college football teams in anyway. And I don't think there could ever be an argument made that the actual best team or even three best teams didn't get in the CFP in any given year. And I'd take it a step further and say the teams that are typically argued for (like UCF) would stand zero chance whatsoever vs the eventual national champions.

What would be fun would be like an "NIT" version of college football where the next 4 get in for their own lil 4 team/2 week tournament..... This year you could have your Cincy's, BYU's, etc. It'll never happen, but, it'd be fun.

not that I disagree with them being the “best” but as mentioned above that just makes the season practically meaningless, at some point teams need to be rewarded and given a chance based off performance not the recruiting ranks! I don’t think whomever they put 4 stands a chance against bama playing their best so not sure that a fair way to go about lookin at it!

I like to see teams prove it and earn it. Otherwise we could select the best teams in August and just set up the playoff then. Is Ohio State one of the best teams this year? Beating 2 bad teams (Penn State and Nebraska), one so-so team (Rutgers) and one good team by 7 points who typically isn't that good (Indiana) and also beat a couple bad teams and the same so-so team...I mean what is so great about that?

I like to see teams prove it and earn it. Otherwise we could select the best teams in August and just set up the playoff then. Is Ohio State one of the best teams this year? Beating 2 bad teams (Penn State and Nebraska), one so-so team (Rutgers) and one good team who typically isn't that good (Indiana) and also beat a couple bad teams and the same so-so team by 7 points...I mean what is so great about that?

pretty much exactly what cowherd wants, he says recruiting ranks and draft picks should determine the playoff more so than on the field achievement. That sucks imo,

not that I disagree with them being the “best” but as mentioned above that just makes the season practically meaningless, at some point teams need to be rewarded and given a chance based off performance not the recruiting ranks! I don’t think whomever they put 4 stands a chance against bama playing their best so not sure that a fair way to go about lookin at it!
I agree to that to some extent, but, this year is much different than a normal season. The other bowl games are a reward indeed for most teams, especially the bigger bowls. Unfortunately, many bowl games this year have been cancelled for obvious reasons.

I also think only one team per conference should ever be in a playoff or national title game. Why should a team that already lost to another team in the playoff have a second chance? And why not use the conference title games as a prequalifier and prerequisite for playoff eligibility? That makes way more sense to me than saying...well this team is the second best team in their division or the second best team in their conference but we are going to allow them to compete for the national title. Makes no sense to me.

While I understand your point I do kinda think it a travesty that the smaller teams don’t get rewarded or judged based off the merit of their season. Yet a osu team who as mentioned has played one decent team and all of 4 games just gets handed a spot cause we think they more talented on paper! Just doesn’t seem right to me.

I agree to that to some extent, but, this year is much different than a normal season. The other bowl games are a reward indeed for most teams, especially the bigger bowls. Unfortunately, many bowl games this year have been cancelled for obvious reasons.

Yes it is different, but some teams are proving on the field how good they are or how good they aren't and some teams are falling victim to cancelations for one reason or another or having to play bad teams. Life ain't fair and the world is mean. The teams proving it should be the ones who get the shot, the other ones who don't, sorry. Not up to anyone to fix your problems.

I also think only one team per conference should ever be in a playoff or national title game. Why should a team that already lost to another team in the playoff have a second chance? And why not use the conference title games as a prequalifier and prerequisite for playoff eligibility? That makes way more sense to me than saying...well this team is the second best team in their division or the second best team in their conference but we are going to allow them to compete for the national title. Makes no sense to me.

absolutely agree with that. How can you be the national champ if you didn’t win your region?? I don’t care how fair it is, that just common freaking sense!! The season should matter more than anything else imo.

I think this year being so different all the more reason to give byu/cincy a chance. I do think they need to play each other tho.

I like to see teams prove it and earn it. Otherwise we could select the best teams in August and just set up the playoff then. Is Ohio State one of the best teams this year? Beating 2 bad teams (Penn State and Nebraska), one so-so team (Rutgers) and one good team by 7 points who typically isn't that good (Indiana) and also beat a couple bad teams and the same so-so team...I mean what is so great about that?
I get it, but, it's not really anybody's fault this year, lack of games, etc. It is what it is.

The best teams will get in. I love BYU, love watching them, love their all business approach, fundamentally sound-ness, etc. But, do I think they're better than tOSU and would I rather see them vs Bama instead of Bama vs tOSU? Hell no! At some point you just have to be realistic. BYU would get stomped, unfortunately. Nobody wants to see that.

What I wanna see, don't even know if it's possible, but...... BYU vs Cincy in the Fiesta Bowl.

THAT would be fun! And in any other year outside of 2020, BYU fans would all drive down the road (or fly) to Phoenix and pack that place.

It shouldn't be what we want to see. Shouldn't have anything at all to do with it.

But that's why the committee is there to ensure they get what they want to see and what the broadcasters want to see and what the viewers want to see so they can get big ratings and sell advertising and such.

Why I stopped caring at all. Until this week and these posts.

I don't even think BYU themselves wants to see them get stomped 63-7 by Alabama.

You just gotta be realistic.

BYU is fun and all, but, they're not on the same level as the Bama's and Clemson's of college football. Simply, it is what it is.

Yes it is different, but some teams are proving on the field how good they are or how good they aren't and some teams are falling victim to cancelations for one reason or another or having to play bad teams. Life ain't fair and the world is mean. The teams proving it should be the ones who get the shot, the other ones who don't, sorry. Not up to anyone to fix your problems.

well said, damn shame you not on committee! They would hate you! Lol

Back