CFB coach of the year... opinions?

tee*dub

Head of Loggerhead Turtle Society
discussed this with a few off-line... very interesting discussion IMO..

My top two don't have any games left which is very odd:

May be missing someone, chime in.

here is my list:

1- Bill Obrien---- ( i really think he should win it)
2- Urban Myer---- hate the t but what an outstanding job
3- bill snyder---- one mis-step or he would be landslide... big misstep however
4- brian Kelley---

Last place-- Kirk ferentz..

thread will prolly get messed up as first 10-15 posts seem to disappear.. uggghhhh

here is my list:

4- brian Kelley---

thread will prolly get messed up as first 10-15 posts seem to disappear.. uggghhhh
Bill OBrien should win it...the crap that program went through, de-commits and doing what he did :shake:

Bill OBrien should win it...the crap that program went through, de-commits and doing what he did :shake:

ya, and I wouldn't want to play them in BCS game..especially with fg kicker actually making kicks now..

Brian Kelly for sure.

Reduced penalties, put.ego in check and relied on defense.

Snyder and O'Brien would be at the top of my list. So happy PST beat Wisc today, their kids really deserved to go out on top before the program gets decimated thanks to the fucking NCAA's interpretation of institutional control carrying over to pedophiles.....what a joke to hold the football program accountable for that.

ya, and I wouldn't want to play them in BCS game..especially with fg kicker actually making kicks now..
it's unfortunate cause tOSU and Penn State deserve it, unfortunate that their past effects the kids who weren't even involved (more psu than osu)

speaking of kickers...anyone see baylor's kicker with the mouth guard?!pansy

Snyder and O'Brien would be at the top of my list. So happy PST beat Wisc today, their kids really deserved to go out on top before the program gets decimated thanks to the fucking NCAA's interpretation of institutional control carrying over to pedophiles.....what a joke to hold the football program accountable for that.
yea Snyder's up there as well....in fact I think tOSU has more talent than Kstate so for me right now

OBrien
Snyder
Urban

Jimbo Fisher should challenge Ferentz for the bottom....can't believe how bad Manuel is. FSU great underachievers....and I thought Bowden was bad at the end of his career....

All acc coaches are out from the get go.

Has to go to o'brien. Battled issues never before imagined. JMO

O'Brien. I don't see how you could vote for anyone else. Nobody, anytime, anywhere faced what he did coming in, especially with the kids allowed to leave for the first few weeks. The first two games could've easily been won too, but even still, after every tough loss these kids could've packed their tents. He continually found ways to get them up, as well as getting the most out of guys like McGloin. Did it all with nothing but class too. Never felt sorry for himself or the team.

All acc coaches are out from the get go.

Has to go to o'brien. Battled issues never before imagined. JMO
dont' think edsall should be coach of the year...just asking what he thoguht about him. i hate edsall with a passion

Timmy, how do you rate edsall this year? I've never liked him at all
Personally I hate the cocky fuck...but objectively he is turning the program around. This year was an injury nightmare, but truthfullly MD defense was vastly improved before the injuries to Hartsfield, Vellano etc. their front 7 played very well in the first 7 or 8 gms. Edsall hired that fuck Crowton from LSU last yr as off coordinator and he and his bubble screen ass were a fucking disaster....I've never seen so many fucking horizontal plays called in my life since the Skins had Rod fucking Dowhower as off coordinator under Pettibon with East/West Benny Malone. The defensive coordinator last yr was terrible and credit Edsall for getting rid of both of them. Best thing they have done is get Locksley back, he is the key to recruiting and imo...a very good off coordinator also. Look at what he has done this yr with 5 diff qb's. Amazing that he finds ways to get the ball in Diggs hands. Terps played their fucking ass off today, I couldn't believe they could score that much with Petty at qb. Anyway, to wrap I hate Edsall but he has surrounded himself now with good coaches on off and def and the recruiting is really picking up. I am not happy though going to the Big 10. Just a fan's nightmare....

Last edited:
want to make sure we build the bottom list also:

for me, right after ferentz, Pinkell

I've added his DWI mugshot for effect:

4ec5420d75f77.preview-300.jpg

for those saying Brian Kelly....i know it's based on football, but I'll never forget when he got a team helper killed

PeErsonally I hate the cocky fuck...but objectively he is turning the program around. This year was an injury nightmare, but truthfullly MD defense was vastly improved before the injuries to Hartsfield, Vellano etc. their front 7 played very well in the first 7 or 8 gms. Edsall hired that fuck Crowton from LSU last yr as off coordinator and he and his bubble screen ass were a fucking disaster....I've never seen so many fucking horizontal plays called in my life since the Skins had Rod fucking Dowhower as off coordinator under Pettibon. The defensive coordinator last yr was terrible and credit Edsall for getting rid of both of them. Best thing they have done is get Locksley back, he is the key to recruiting and imo...a very good off coordinator also. Look at what he has done this yr with 5 diff qb's. Amazing that he finds ways to get the ball in Diggs hands. Terps played their fucking ass off today, I couldn't believe they could score that much with Petty at qb. Anyway, to wrap I hate Edsall but he has surrounded himself now with good coaches on off and def and the recruiting is really picking up. I am not happy though going to the Big 10. Just a fan's nightmare....
yea I didn't expect this at ALL from the terps and crowton is terrible for any offense it sucks..

want to make sure we build the bottom list also:

for me, right after ferentz, Pinkell

I've added his DWI mugshot for effect:

4ec5420d75f77.preview-300.jpg

and, to make sure I am fair.. His on field coaching was a bit better than his off field negotiations:

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) - Missouri football coach Gary Pinkel is ending his 39-year marriage to the former Kent State cheerleader he met as a college football player.

Boone County court records show Gary and Vicki Pinkel finalized their divorce in mid-October after separating at the beginning of this year. They are the parents of three grown children.

Their legal agreement requires the coach to pay Vicki Pinkel $276,000 a year, or $23,000 per month, as long as he remains Missouri's coach.

and, to make sure I am fair.. His on field coaching was a bit better than his off field negotiations:

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) - Missouri football coach Gary Pinkel is ending his 39-year marriage to the former Kent State cheerleader he met as a college football player.

Boone County court records show Gary and Vicki Pinkel finalized their divorce in mid-October after separating at the beginning of this year. They are the parents of three grown children.

Their legal agreement requires the coach to pay Vicki Pinkel $276,000 a year, or $23,000 per month, as long as he remains Missouri's coach.

as long as he remains Missouri's coach.

images

here is my list:

4- brian Kelley---

1st post predictably disappeared... quoted quickly here...

why not Gene Chizik ? He helped a lot of SEC teams ... seriously can't do PSU due to rest of story but what O'Brien has done is definitely due a lot of credit and admiration in what might have been the worst ever job to apply for
For me it would either be Brian Kelly, kept things organized and prepared the team for a challenging and varied schedule, my other pick would be Sumlin ... even as a Longhorn fan gotta say given what was expected of aTm entering the SEC and the whole coaching change I would say that the gap between what was expected and what has been achieved is bigger than the rest of the candidates. aTm won because of Sumlin not just J Manziel who made it look 'easy' but the coaching and game plans had a lot to do with aTm success ... impressive.

1. O'Brien - with what he had to deal with, to me it seems like no contest and would be an easy vote
2. Urban Myer - close btw him and Brian Kelly in my opinion
3. Brian Kelly
4. Jim Mora
5. Bill Snyder
6. Kevin Sumlin and Art Briles honorable mention.... Briles seems to go unnoticed for what he's done @ Baylor

Brian Kelly wins this one for sure...he trumps Urban Myers 12-0 record by playing for the national championship....he trumps O'Brien by taking a team that was considered irrelevant at the beginning of the year and turns in a 12-0 year... that is something that i dreamed about

PSU head coach hands down followed by Brian Kelly and Will Muschamp.

worse coach of the year award goes to Dumbo Fisher ... AGAIN!

[h=2]Kelly named coach of the year[/h]
Tony Krausz | The Journal Gazette

The awards keep pouring in for Notre Dame.
Brian Kelly became the first two-time recipient of Home Depot coach of the year award Wednesday, the same day that tight end Tyler Eifert, a Bishop Dwenger graduate, won the school's first John Mackey Award, given to college's most outstanding tight end.
Kelly and Eifert will be presented with their awards during the Home Depot College Football Awards show on ESPNU at 6:30 p.m.Thursday.
Kelly, who won the coaching award in 2009 at Cincinnati, led Notre Dame to a 12-0 record this season and the No. 1 Irish will play No. 2 Alabama (12-1) in the BCS championship game Jan. 7 in Miami.
Kelly's 28 victories in his first three seasons are tied for the most by any Notre Dame coach, and he has led the Irish to at least eight wins in each of the last three years.
Kelly's streak of eight or more wins over three seasons surpasses wins from Lou Holtz, Ara Parseghian, Frank Leahy and Knute Rockne, who combined to win 10 consensus National Championships. Parseghian is also being recognized during the show with the NCFAA contribution to college football award.
Kelly and Eifert join linebacker Manti Te'o in collecting postseason honors.
Te'o, who is a finalist for the Lombardi Award (top lineman) tonight inHouston, has already won the ARA sportsmanship award and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy (best defensive player).
Te'o is also a finalist for the Heisman Trophy, Chuck Bednarik Award (defensive player of the year), Maxwell Award (player of the year) and Lott IMPACT Award.

grats to bk,

I still think O'brien did the best coaching job of anyone this millennium though.

I would think UM at tosu did a better job than bk at ND as far as undefeateds go as well.

I will give Hazell some love too ....and Mike Riley.

we can agree to disagree....BK took a program that many said would never be "relevant" ever again and turned it around in 3 years....pretty impressive...took a so called so called 7-5 at best 8-4 schedule and turned it to 12-0. I'm not taking away from what O'brien did because it was very impressive however he took a 9-3 team to 8-4...now i understand everything that has happend..but the talent was still there

but....i'm also a Homer

Back