CFB Bowl Thread 2012

Timh

CTG Psychiatrist - Dr. Tim
6-1 last week, and up about 5u. Now +32 for the year. I will use this thread for all of my bowl picks and Army/Navy and FCS/Div 2 and 3 playoffs.

Navy -7 -115 1.5* and Navy -6.5 1*
Wofford +14.5 1*
Georgia Southern +6.5 2h 1*
Sam Houston St. -3.5 1*
Utah St. -10 -108 1.5*

BYU/SDST 2h under 21.5 1*
Ball State +7.5 1.5*
Fresno St. -11.5 1.5*
5 Tm 10 pt. Tease Fresno St. -2/SJST +3/Ok St. -6.5/Georgia Pick/Florida -3.5 +180 2/3.6
Western Ky -6 1*
Tease W. Kentucky Pick/San Jose St. -1 1*

ML Parlay Boise St./San Jose St. 1/1.01
Cin -2.5, Minn +19 1*
Louisiana Monroe -7 1*
UCLA -3 1*
4 Team 10 pt Tease: Ohio/LAM over 49.5/Minn +23/VT +11/Mo/UCLA over 142.5 2/2.5
Ohio 2H +6.5 1*
Minn/TT 2h over 28 -115 1*
AF/Rice over 60.5 1*
10 pt. 4 Tm Tease - Navy +23.5, Navy over 44.5, Syracuse +14, TCU/MSU over 30.5 2/2.5
Vanderbilt -7 1.5*
Stanford -6.5 1.5* (That's what I get for playing early and then not betting it again when the line dropped)

Tulsa -2 -108 1*
4 Tm 10 pt Tease NW +9, Ok St. -7.5, MD -14.5 (hoops), Fla -4 2/2.5
NW -2 1*
3 Team 10 pt. Tease Mich +16, Ga +1/2, FSU under 69.5 2.4/2
Ok St. 2h -7 -105 1*
Florida -9 2h 1*
Texas A&M -3 -113 1*
SHSU/NDST under 49 1*
Ole Miss -3 -115 1*
3 Tm 10 pt Tease SHSU +11.5, SHSU under 59, MD -3.5 (hoops) 1.2/1
Kent +3 1*
[TABLE="class: offer"]
<TBODY>[TR="class: TreEven"]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip"]52269091-1
[/TD]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip"]1/4/2013 4:16PM
[/TD]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip"]Teaser
[/TD]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip"]100.00
[/TD]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip"]137.17
[/TD]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip, align: left"]Football - 270 Notre Dame +15½ for Game
Football - 104 Green Bay Packers -1½ for Game
Football - 106 Baltimore Ravens -1 for Game

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: TroOdd"]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip"]52376571-1
[/TD]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip"]1/6/2013 1:15PM
[/TD]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip"]Teaser
[/TD]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip"]200.00
[/TD]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip"]250.00
[/TD]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip, align: left"]Basketball - 814 Kansas -4½ for Game
Football - 270 Notre Dame +19½ for Game
Football - 107 Seattle Seahawks/Washington Redskins over 34½ for Game
Football - 108 Washington Redskins +13½ for Game

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: TreEven"]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip"]52420756-1
[/TD]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip"]1/7/2013 2:59PM
[/TD]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip"]Spread
[/TD]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip"]177.00
[/TD]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip"]150.00
[/TD]
[TD="class: TblTableDescrip, align: left"]Football - 269 Alabama -9 -118 buying ½ for Game
[/TD]
[/TR]
</TBODY>[/TABLE]

Alabama 1H -6 1*
Cooper over 73.5 rec yds
Cooper over 5 rec
Cooper to score a TD

GL on the action
smileys-cheers-788801.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Elbutre and Play, hope you guys enjoy a profitable bowl season.

Western Ky -6 1*
Louisiana Monroe -7 1*

Navy -7 -115 1.5*
Stanford -6.5 1.5*
Western Ky -6 1*
Louisiana Monroe -7 1*

So noted, Tim.
As usual, I don't know who plays whom just yet except for A-N.
GL - I'll be rooting for you. Unless,of course, I wind up on the other side.
LOL

Can you give me some thoughts on the Navy game, Tim? I thought everyone would be on Army.
Dave - I have watched Army play several times this year and a common theme has been their poor tackling at every level on the defense. Army defense has given up 6.9 ypp which is 123rd ranked out of 124 in Division 1. Army giving up 5.8 ypr which is 121st out of 124. Simply put they are a horrible defense and will have their hands full trying to stop Navy. Keep in mind to that Army has achieved these stats playing a pretty watered down schedule. I had this game closer to 11 so I think it's good value especially under 7 where it is sitting now. Navy has a much better chance of stopping Army offense than vice versa. Steelman is a terrible passer also and that factors into what Army does if they fall behind. I think this line is a bargain.

Couldn't agree more on Navy on Sat Tim. Also like Stanford to steamroll Wisky in the Grandaddy....

Good luck

Thanks, Tim. All season I've noticed that Navy is not as good as they normally are. Today, I looked and saw that they have won a lot more games than I thought they did. I've also seen Army play a lot tougher than I thought they would. So, at first look, I though 7 was too many. But, after looking more into it, I saw some of the stats that you pointed out. I guess Navy looked bad because they played a tougher schedule. But, this is normally a game that Navy wins. Thanks, for the input.

[h=1]Barry Alvarez Press Conference: Wisconsin's AD "Not Going to Screw Around" in Rose Bowl[/h]<IFRAME style="WIDTH: 46px; HEIGHT: 61px" id=f190f712699e033 class=fb_ltr title="Like this content on Facebook." src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?api_key=249141081161&locale=en_US&sdk=joey&channel_url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ak.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter.php%3Fversion%3D17%23cb%3Df279701a7146a46%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.buckys5thquarter.com%252Ff2f6e8b521c4106%26domain%3Dwww.buckys5thquarter.com%26relation%3Dparent.parent&href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.buckys5thquarter.com%2Fwisconsin-badgers-football%2F2012%2F12%2F6%2F3736082%2Fbarry-alvarez-press-conference&node_type=link&width=100&font=arial&layout=box_count&colorscheme=light&show_faces=false&send=false&extended_social_context=false" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency name=f247136d86f6ad4 scrolling=no></IFRAME>
<IFRAME style="WIDTH: 55px; HEIGHT: 62px" class="twitter-share-button twitter-count-vertical" title="Twitter Tweet Button" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.1354761327.html#_=1354938597178&count=vertical&counturl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.buckys5thquarter.com%2Fwisconsin-badgers-football%2F2012%2F12%2F6%2F3736082%2Fbarry-alvarez-press-conference&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.buckys5thquarter.com%2Fwisconsin-badgers-football%2F2012%2F12%2F6%2F3736082%2Fbarry-alvarez-press-conference&size=m&text=Barry%20Alvarez%20Press%20Conference%3A%20Wisconsin's%20AD%20%22Not%20Going%20to%20Screw%20Around%22%20in%20Rose%20Bowl&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsbn.to%2FTMnJPk&via=B5Q" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency scrolling=no data-twttr-rendered="true"></IFRAME>
By Mike Fiammetta on Dec 6, 4:00p1
none
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Wisconsin's Director of Athletics will officially coach the Badgers in the Rose Bowl.
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

MADISON, Wis. -- Wisconsin Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez has a not-so-new hat: head coach of the Rose Bowl-bound Badgers.
Alvarez, who coached Wisconsin from 1990-2005, confirmed Wednesday's reports that had him serving as the Badgers' interim coach after Bret Bielema's stunning departure for Arkansas. Wisconsin's athletic director is 3-0 in Rose Bowls (1993, 1998, 1999), and now he'll also become the first College Football Hall of Famer to coach in the Granddaddy of Them All.
Alvarez said he initially didn't think it would best for him to return to the sideline. But after a group of seniors and team leaders contacted him -- particularly quarterback Curt Phillips and linebacker Mike Taylor, who were both made available to the media -- on Tuesday night, Alvarez said he'd be "honored" to coach.
"My first concern was about the players and how to let the seniors walk out of here with a positive experience in the Rose Bowl and visit with the staff for a while," Alvarez said. "That evening, Curt Phillips texted me and wanted to visit with me prior to naming an interim coach. Later that evening -- you can imagine my phone was blowing up -- I kept getting a Green Bay call. I didn't think that there was anybody in Green Bay that I needed to talk to, so I didn't take the call.
"Finally, in my voice messages, I went to the Green Bay call and it was [Ashwaubenon native] Mike Taylor. Mike asked me, he said the captains and the leaders of the team have discussed the fact that they would like me to coach them in the Rose Bowl. I told him I would be honored to coach them, and I wanted them to understand that if I were going to coach, we weren't going to screw around and we're going to go out there and win."
Alvarez did say this will be just a one-game return to coaching, and that he would largely delegate game prep to the assistants -- all of which he expects to stay on for the Rose Bowl, though he hadn't spoken to each one at the time of the press conference.
If Wisconsin's coordinators do stay in place for the game -- no sure assumption, considering associate head coach and co-defensive coordinator Charlie Partridge has already been linked to Bielema's staff at Arkansas -- Alvarez will rely heavily on offensive coordinator Chris Ash, defensive coordinator Chris Ash and Partridge.
"With the duties of a head coach at the Rose Bowl, there are a number of duties that can be distracting," Alvarez said. "I thought it would be best to allow the assistant coaches to do their jobs and concentrate game-planning and coaching their players and not have to worry about one of them being an interim coach.
"I'll manage the game. But I can't step in there. I will oversee both sides of the ball. I just met with both coordinators, told them I expect them to manager their end of the ball. I'll oversee practices, I'll oversee the game. I'll manage the game, I'll take that pressure off of them."
As far as the coaching search, Alvarez said he has not yet begun interviewing other assistant coaches. That process will begin next week, as Wisconsin has several recruits coming into town this weekend for visits.
"Most of the kids coming in this weekend are commitments," Alvarez said. "I instructed the assistant coaches to put an emphasis on those commitments that we have, to make sure we hold our commitments. I will be involved in the recruiting weekend. My message is this: you committed to come to the University of Wisconsin and play for us. We've got a great university, and we've got a lot to sell here."
Regarding UW's coaching search, Alvarez said he would not begin interviewing candidates until next week. He did slip in, however, that after Bielema first told him of his decision to take the Arkansas job via phone-- Alvarez was in New York for his induction into the College Football Hall of Fame -- Alvarez had the representative of a potential successor to Bielema in the room "five minutes later." Alvarez also said Bielema offered to coach the Rose Bowl, though his response was, "No Bret, you need to go Arkansas now."
Wisconsin also won't necessarily be targeting only coaches with state or program ties, Alvarez added. He will, however, begin the search with candidates who already have head-coaching experience.
"Bret used my game plan to win," Alvarez said. "The coach that I hire will have to be someone that will have to understand who we are, how we go about our business. I don't look to change a whole lot in how we operate things here. The person that I put in place will be someone that cares about kids and someone that understands Wisconsin and will be a good fit for us."
As for that little zinger -- he did have a few, including only saying the program is "at least as good" as it was when he stepped down as coach -- Alvarez denied feeling any sense of betrayal.
"I know the business," Alvarez said. "People move. I was totally caught by surprise, and surprised no one had contacted me for permission.
"Bret has had some other offers and some other things he was interested in, so I don't feel betrayed. I'm pleased, I'm very proud of the job Bret did for me. I thought he did a nice job taking the program, recruiting good kids. His won-loss record speaks for itself; the fact that we're going to our third straight Rose Bowl is off the charts. It's uncharted waters."
Nevertheless, Alvarez couldn't hold back when asked about Bielema's comments in his introductory Arkansas press conference on Wednesday regarding the chance to win a championship at Arkansas.
"I was a little surprised by that, and he said that to me," Alvarez said, before pausing for a moment. "Well, I wish him well. I thought we were very close to playing in the national championship a year ago. He had just won three [Big Ten] championships, so I don't know. I don't try to put words in his mouth."
Alvarez also addressed Bielema's comments about UW not having, or offering, the final resources to keep assistant coaches. Bielema replaced six assistants after last year's Rose Bowl, and according to Tom Mulhern of the Wisconsin State Journal, he had three assistants come to him with job offers from other schools just one day after Wisconsin won the Big Ten Championship Game.
"I think our pay scale for assistant coaches is more than competitive and fair," Alvarez said. "As athletic director, I have to make decisions. I know what people are making, and every time someone has a hint that they may take another job, it's not prudent to jump and throw a pile of money at them. We all see what the salaries are; I know what the salaries are. I'm getting charged with them.
"We're more than competitive, and not only that, we have a great place. It's a wonderful university; it's a great place to live. We have new facilities coming. People want to work here. The quality of life here is top-notch. So we can get good assistants here, we have had good assistants here, we'll continue to have good assistants here and we'll have stability here."

Good stuff on the Army/Navy game Tim.

It's also worth noting that Steelman is a fumbling machine.

With you on Navy bro. BOL this Bowl season buddy!

Great read on that article, aye timh?? Alvarez taking this game personally?
VK I watched his presser and it reminded me of how much pride Alvarez has in his program and for the University. Great to have a guy like that as an AD, and I always liked him as a coach. I think he was definitely taken back that Bielema would leave for Arkansas and then make the comments that he wanted to go somewhere where he could win a championship. Some questions about budget for the assistants etc..but Barry said it best when he commented that you don't just throw a pile of cash at someone everytime they come with a competing offer. He is very tempered and measured in his approach and process to hiring a new coach and i think he will be successful.

Good stuff on the Army/Navy game Tim.

It's also worth noting that Steelman is a fumbling machine.

With you on Navy bro. BOL this Bowl season buddy!
Thanks Aztec

GO NAVY

GL today Tim
Thanks Blood, look forward to discussing the bowls with you. Hope you are well and in nice warm weather.

good shit timh, hoping to get a good # live..
Hunt looks like it is moving back up to 7, I think it would be nice to have 6.5 as a starting point for trading.

Whats ur latest thoughts on the Navy/Army total. I have a unit dwn on the Under 57 and liking it more and more. I think the 1st half stays under also in a very hard fought game. I know Army team that was hit for a ridiculous 534 rushing yards by Temple in their last outing but both team playing hard will keep this score down imo

??????

Whats ur latest thoughts on the Navy/Army total. I have a unit dwn on the Under 57 and liking it more and more. I think the 1st half stays under also in a very hard fought game. I know Army team that was hit for a ridiculous 534 rushing yards by Temple in their last outing but both team playing hard will keep this score down imo

??????
Blood I couldn't play under with Army defense. You may be right but I think Navy goes for +35 today and Army will score some as well. Think the number is prob close to being right and obviously I like Navy on the side a lot more.

No good on Navy. Thought Army deserved to win the game and outplayed them but the TO's were too much to overcome. Nice job by Army on the edge defending the option. Thought Navy would throw more in the game taking advtg of weak Army pass D. Really felt for Steelman losing that game, very tough for him.

Utah St.<!--*-->
INSIDE SLANT<!--*-->
Andersen turns down two Pac-12 jobs<!--*-->
It's been such a wild season at Utah State, Aggie fans have been forced in recent weeks to keep an eye on the Pac-12 Conference.
Not that Utah State will get invited anytime soon. But it appeared that its popular fourth-year head coach could have had it happen. Gary Andersen, however, announced Nov. 30 through a school-issued press release that he will remain the head coach of the school despite heavy, lucrative overtures from Cal and Colorado -- which recently fired their respective head coaches.
That's about as good of news as anything for Utah State and its entire program as it tries to put the finishing touches Dec. 15 on what is now a school-record 10-2 season with a game against 9-3 Toledo in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl set to move the Aggies up the historical ladder a few more rungs.
"I plan to remain the head football coach at Utah State University," Andersen stated. "The interest I have received is a compliment to the quality young men in this program. Their hard work and dedication has built a culture that will enable us to continue to be successful at a very high level moving forward.
In October, Utah State athletic director Scott Barnes announced a contract extension for Andersen, keeping him at USU through the 2018 season. Along with Andersen's revised contract, the new deal also calls for continued salary increases for all of his assistant coaches.
"I love Cache Valley, this university and these young men, and I am humbled and excited to continue to be the coach here. The leadership of President (Stan) Albrecht and Mr. Barnes, as well as the support from the fans and community, are big reasons why this is the right place for myself and my family at this time," Andersen said.
Utah State (10-2, 6-0 WAC) just completed its most successful regular season in school history as it set single-season records for wins (10) and home wins (6), while recording its first outright league championship since 1936 and its 11th in school history as it became the first team in USU history to post a 6-0 conference record.
Utah State also claimed possession of the Beehive Boot Trophy, the symbol of gridiron supremacy in the state of Utah, in 2012 for the second time in the past three seasons. The Aggies defeated Utah at home and lost, 6-3, at BYU.
The other loss came at Wisconsin, when a 37-yard field goal in the closing seconds was missed.
Win those two games, remain undefeated the rest of the way as the Aggies did -- including a late-November victory at nationally ranked Louisiana Tech to seal up the WAC title -- and Andersen's probably looking at some national coach of the year consideration.
As it stands, Utah State will keep Andersen. He went 4-8 in each of his first two seasons and then 7-6 last year with a disappointing finish in the same Boise, Idaho-based game where the Aggies will play now.
In all, Utah State has now won 15 of its last 18 games to rank as the best 18-game stretch in school history since the 1962-64 teams also won 15 of 18 games.
NOTES, QUOTES<!--*-->
PLAYERS TO WATCH:
--RB Kerwynn Williams ranks 11th in the nation in all-purpose yards (163.0), 23rd in rushing (106.4), and tied for 34th in the nation in scoring (8.5). One of the country's most unheralded players, this will be a nationally televised showcase to show his value. NFL scouts will be watching, for sure, especially after the rookie-year pro success two former running back teammates (Robert Turbin of Seattle, Michael Smith at Tampa Bay) are enjoying this year. And Williams even offers more versatility.
--Sophomore quarterback Chuckie Keeton ranks second in the WAC and 14th in the nation in passing efficiency (156.7), and 17th in the nation in total offense (305.9). He had a major self-realization about how to run the offense after the heartbreaking 6-3 loss at BYU in early October.
--Senior cornerback Will Davis gets picked on. But he picks back. Davis leads the nation in passes defended (1.75), 11th in the nation in interceptions (0.42), with five interceptions this year. His ability to play "on the island" in 1-on-1 coverage allows USU to implement a roaming strategy for its two strong safeties that gets them closer to the line of scrimmage to help on run support.
--WR Matt Austin is second only to Kerwynn Williams in receptions (43 to 42), but look for the well regarded senior to get some extra passes thrown his way in the bowl game. He's been through a ton of injuries, including a devastating knee injury a few years ago that nearly ended his career. The Aggies will try to send him out the right way, including with a few targets his way from Chuckie Keeton.
BOWL HISTORY: Utah State, who also played in the 2011 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, losing to Ohio in the closing seconds, is appearing in back-to-back bowl games for just the third time in school history joining the 1946 Raisin Bowl and 1947 Grape Bowl teams. Also, the 1960 Sun Bowl and 1961 Gotham Bowl teams. Overall, it is USU's eighth bowl appearance in school history and Utah State has won just twice.
QUOTE TO NOTE: "We just want to keep this going. Get one more win together." -- Utah State senior running back Kerwynn Williams, on getting what would be a school-record 11 wins in a year by avenging last year's loss at the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.
STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL<!--*-->
BOWL BREAKDOWN:
Scouting the running game: It centers around senior Kerwynn Williams, who had 1,277 yards on the ground and averaged 6.4 yards per carry. What may say the most about his attack, and the offensive line creating holes for him, was that in 200 attempts Williams only lost a total of 64 yards for the season. He set up reasonable third-down situations all season. Quarterback Chuckie Keeton is next in line, averaging 4.4 yards on 120 attempts.
Scouting the passing game: Chuckie Keeton is one of the most versatile quarterbacks in the west. Only a sophomore, he is strong at extending the time of plays by moving around the pocket. He's gotten better this season at managing his check-down options. Completed 67 percent of his passes and threw 27 TD's compared to nine interceptions.
Scouting the run defense: Ranks in the top 15 in the country, as head coach Gary Andersen and first-year defensive coordinator Dave Aranda -- formerly of Hawaii -- have united to create a unit that allows less than three (actually 2.9) yards per carry on the ground. Linebacker Jake Doughtry, a former walk-on, leads USU with 72 tackles as he manages the line of scrimmage.
Scouting the pass defense: Utah State ranks eighth nationally in sacks (3.25 per game) and Zach Vigil is the prime reason why. He had 5.5 of them, and 9.5 total tackles for loss. USU's numbers are a touch skewed because it had a school-record 13 against San Jose State in one game.
Intangibles: Nationally, Utah State is one of just 18 teams with 10 or more wins on the season and USU is one of just four teams across the country who have not lost a league game joining Ohio State (8-0) from the Big Ten and Kent State (8-0) and Northern Illinois (8-0) from the Mid-American Conference. Neither the Aggies are Toledo lost to a team that isn't going to a bowl game. Utah State is comfortable and certainly excited to head to the Boise, Idaho, bowl game, close to home. And there's certainly a lot of excitement at advancing the team's first season with a national ranking in nearly 20 years.

ROSTER REPORT
--It will be the first meeting between Utah State and Toledo at the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.
--Utah State is 7-2 against Mid-American Conference teams, including a 24-23 loss last year to Ohio in the same bowl game.

Toledo<!--*-->
INSIDE SLANT<!--*-->
Rockets to go bowling on 'Smurf Turf'<!--*-->
About one year ago, Toledo's Matt Campbell had one heck of a debut as a head coach -- the youngest head coach in the Football Bowl Series (Division I) ranks. Campbell led the Rockets to a dramatic 42-41 win over Air Force in the Military Bowl.
Campbell was thrown into the fire, replacing former head coach Tim Beckman first on an interim basis after Beckman made an abrupt departure for Illinois. The role was quickly made permanent for Campbell once the Toledo brass learned how significant the support for Campbell was among the Toledo players.
After leading the Rockets to a 9-3 mark in his first season as their boss, Campbell has Toledo back in a bowl game, this time to face Utah State on Dec. 15 in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl in Boise.
This is not the prize the Rockets had targeted and the one they expected to prepare for when their goals were laid out and they were named the preseason favorites to win the Mid-American Conference's West Division championship and play in the league title game. Losses in two of their final three games of the season pushed Toledo out of the championship game, but an eight-game winning streak prior to that guaranteed a bowl was in the immediate future for Toledo.
Campbell hopes the matchup with Utah State and a trip to play on the infamous blue field in Boise will serve as a quick motivator for his team to bounce back from those late losses and finish 2012 on a positive note.
"Playing in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl is an excellent reward for our players, coaches and everyone involved in our team's success," Campbell said.
In the Aggies of Utah State, the Rockets have a formidable opponent with a strong track record. Utah State (10-2) comes into the bowl game with a six-game winning streak. The only losses for the Aggies came at Wisconsin by a 16-14 score and in a slugfest with Brigham Young that ended in a 6-3 loss.
The Aggies own wins over Utah in addition to San Jose State and Louisiana Tech, two teams that were ranked at one point this season. Utah State played in the same bowl game last year, losing to Ohio University from the MAC by a 24-23 score.
The Rockets should be at full strength for the bowl game, although its mid-December date gives them roughly two weeks to prepare. The ankle injuries that kept starting QB Terrance Owens and starting RB David Fluellen in street clothes for the season-ending win over Akron are considered minor and both are expected to start in the bowl game.
In Utah State, Toledo faces an opponent not unlike the Northern Illinois team that won the MAC championship game after soundly defeating the Rockets. The Aggies averaged about 35 points per game with a balanced offense that pushed close to 500 total yards per game this season.
NOTES, QUOTES<!--*-->
PLAYERS TO WATCH:
--WR/KR/PR Bernard Reedy is the spark behind much of what the Rockets do offensively as a dangerous receiver, and his return prowess earned him first-team all-conference honors as both a punt and kick returner. Toledo expects the Aggies to sculpt their defense to minimize Reedy's impact and force other players to make a difference.
--QB Terrance Owens won the starting job early in the season and led the Rockets to eight straight wins. He is comfortable in the pocket but will face one of the best defenses in the nation in the Aggies, who allow just 15.4 points per game.
--QB Austin Dantin was a starter for much of his career but lost the role early this season to junior QB Terrance Owens. With Owens sidelined due to an ankle injury for the season finale, Dantin knocked the rust off and completed 29 of 35 passes for a career-high 327 yards and five touchdowns. That impressive piece of game film will force Utah State to prepare for both quarterbacks.
--LB Dan Molls led the nation in tackles this season with 166 and had 10 games this year with 13 or more stops. He takes the lead role in stuffing Utah State's rushing attack and forcing the Aggies to become more predictable. Molls will need to use the blitz more as Toledo faces a very strong passing attack from Utah State.
BOWL HISTORY: Toledo has a 9-3 bowl record and last year played in the Military Bowl in Washington D.C., defeating Air Force in a 42-41 shootout. The Rockets have never faced Utah State.
QUOTE TO NOTE: "I think the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl will provide our student-athletes with an outstanding bowl experience, as well as the opportunity to play against a very tough Utah State team." -- Toledo head coach Matt Campbell on taking his team to Boise to face the Aggies.
STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL<!--*-->
BOWL BREAKDOWN:
Scouting the running game: The Rockets will have a rested and healthy RB David Fluellen back for the bowl game. Fluellen sat out the season finale after suffering an ankle sprain in the 11th game of the year against Northern Illinois. Fluellen rushed for 1,460 yards and ranks seventh in the nation with 132.7 yards per game. He runs behind one of the best offensive lines in the MAC but one that will have its hands full against the athletic and stout defensive front of Utah State.
Scouting the passing game: The Rockets gave their eventual bowl opponent more to think about when they used senior QB Austin Dantin in the season finale and Dantin shredded Akron for 327 yards passing and five touchdowns. With dynamic WR Bernard Reedy on the outside, Dantin and regular starting QB Terrance Owens have helped the Rockets to about 260 passing yards per game. Reedy has 82 catches for 1,051 yards and six touchdowns. Freshman WR Alonzo Russell had 925 yards receiving and was second in the conference at 17.1 yards per catch.
Scouting the run defense: The Rockets have allowed 168 rushing yards per game and 14 rushing touchdowns this season. Their run stopping is led by senior LB Dan Molls, the nation's leading tackler. Utah State averages nearly 200 yards rushing per game, so the Aggies will test the Toledo defenders and hope to use the run to set up their very effective passing attack. Utah State senior RB Kerwynn Williams had more than 1,200 yards on the ground this season and scored 12 rushing touchdowns.
Scouting the pass defense: Utah State QB Chuckie Keaton, who threw for 3,100 yards and 27 touchdowns this season, will test Toledo's secondary in the most severe manner. Toledo allowed about 300 passing yards per game this season and 26 passing touchdowns. Senior DB Jermaine Robinson led the MAC with four interceptions this season and needs to have a big impact in the bowl if the Rockets are to hinder Keaton's operation.
Scouting the special teams: The Rockets feel like they own a big advantage in this aspect of the matchup since senior WR/PR/KR Bernard Reedy owns touchdown returns in both areas and ranks 10th in the nation in all-purpose yards with 163.5 per game. The Rockets have a solid option in PK Jeremiah Detmer should their offense bog down in the red zone. Detmer has hit 21 of 26 field goals and made his last 14 attempts.
Intangibles: Utah State played the tougher schedule and will have a larger following at the bowl game due to its much closer proximity to Boise. The Rockets are also dealing with the deflated team psyche as a result of their collapse down the stretch that saw them lose two of their last three conference games and fail to meet the expectations they had as preseason favorites to win the MAC West crown.

ROSTER REPORT
--QB Terrance Owens missed the season finale with a nagging ankle injury but will have had about four weeks without contact by the time the bowl game rolls around. He is expected to be as healthy as he has been since the beginning of the season and available to start.
--RB David Fluellen missed the last game of the regular season against Akron after suffering a high ankle sprain the previous week against Northern Illinois. He has benefited from the extra rest and therapy and is expected to be back in the starting lineup when Toledo faces Utah State.
--DE T.J. Fatinikun, Toledo's best pass rusher, was lost for the season after suffering a torn Achilles tendon in the Western Michigan game.
--DE Christian Smith was lost for the season with a knee injury he suffered in the win over Western Michigan.

Thanks Elbutre, GL on the bowl season and have a great holiday.

Sam Houston St. -3.5 1*

Thank you fellas, wish you all the BOL and a great holiday.

Georgia Southern +6.5 2h 1*

Lol. Kinda losses I think about for a few days. Hard to get outta head. Been there plenty myself. I remember having Minnesota I think in a bowl game against Texas tech and minny was up I think 38 maybe, lost outright.

Lol. Kinda losses I think about for a few days. Hard to get outta head. Been there plenty myself. I remember having Minnesota I think in a bowl game against Texas tech and minny was up I think 38 maybe, lost outright.
The one that will always stick with me not from a betting standpoint but actually being at the game and watching it was Duke/MD at Cole. Terps had a 9 pt lead with like 26 seconds left and this friend of mine turned me to and said "I don't want to speak too soon, but we've got this one". Boom, the absolute kod...Blake fouls out. Duke full court pressing Dixon and trap him a couple of times, thought he got fouled but refs swallow their whistles. Jason Williams hits a couple of 3's and the fucking gm goes to OT and we lose. If I didn't believe in jinxes before, I now do....lol. We never let that guy live it down and still break his balls over it to this day.

Hunt I will never forget it unfortunately. Beating the Rat is one of the great pleasures for me.

BYU/SDST 2h under 21.5 1*

GL Mars - no good for us on the Doodadders....

ML Parlay Boise St./San Jose St. 1/1.01

5 Tm 10 pt. Tease Fresno St. -2/SJST +3/Ok St. -6.5/Georgia Pick/Florida -3.5 +180 2/3.6

Back