Cincy -2 (-110) L
TTech -4 (-110) L
ECU -3 (-110) L
UConn -6 (-110) W
Florida -3 (-110)

Last edited:
Auburn Granted Permission To Speak With Gill

from Track Em Tigers by kerr024
It looks like Auburn will interview Turner Gill!
According to reports Auburn asked and received permission to speak with Buffalo head coach, Turner Gill.
Gill and his Bulls won the MAC Championship Friday by defeating Ball State who was undefeated. Are they doing this to just make the NCAA happy? I would seriously doubt it. Anyone who has read up on Turner Gill would agree that he would be a good fit at Auburn. It's not the splashy name that we are looking for but his character and ability to turn the Bulls around in a short amount time should be encouraging to all of us!
Source: Evan Woodbery from www.al.com/auburnfootball

Paul Johnson / GA Tech to talk Contract

from Track Em Tigers by kerr024
Evan Woodbery has been busy today so I thought I would keep you informed with what he has been providing for us, the AuburNation!
Ga. Tech to talk contract with Paul Johnson

Posted by Evan Woodbery, Press-Register December 06, 2008 6:24 PM

Categories: Football Georgia Tech first-year head coach Paul Johnson will sit down with Athletic Director Dan Radakovich to discuss his contract early next week, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Johnson, one of the names floated as a possible candidate at Auburn, said earlier rumors are the norm this time of year and he plans to remain at Tech for a while. He will speak to the media Sunday night after the Yellow Jackets' bowl bid is announced.

Sooners claim third straight Big 12 title; next stop is likely Miami

from Bevo Beat
Championship Saturday left a host of one-loss teams, the Longhorns included, for the poll voters and the computers to rank on Sunday, when the final Bowl Championship Standings will set the national championship game pairing.
But is there any real drama left? Not likely.
Oklahoma claimed its third consecutive Big 12 championship with a 62-21 win over Missouri, becoming the first team to ever top 60 points in five straight games.
And Florida pulled away late in the Southeastern Conference championship to beat Alabama by double digits.
That should set up a Gators vs. Sooners national championship on Jan. 8 in Miami — despite the arguments that a one-loss Texas, Alabama and USC might make. And, oh yeah, Texas Tech and Penn State, too, not to mention unbeaten Utah and Boise State.
Expect the Longhorns to wind up in the Fiesta Bowl, to be played Jan. 5, against 10-2 Ohio State.

Maybe Texas-Ohio St isn't a lock. Maybe Texas-Bama is the lock:

Ohio State football: An Ohio State-Utah Fiesta Bowl?

by Doug Lesmerises Thursday December 04, 2008, 1:35 PM

medium_swoop-200x268.jpg
UtahSwoop, the Utah mascot

The Fiesta Bowl has always been the most likely destination for Ohio State, but now a new opponent for the Buckeyes could enter the picture.
Ohio State vs. Utah anyone?
BuckeyeGrove.com, the Rivals site that covers Ohio State, is reporting that possibility today, and I talked enough to the guys there to understand how it could happen.
The BCS and FOX would be making an effort to create not only a national title game but almost an undercard for the national title game by matching up presumably the No. 3 and No. 4 teams in the BCS, Texas and the SEC title game loser, in the Sugar Bowl.
That would be taking a Big 12 team out of the Fiesta, where Texas has been assumed as a sure thing if Oklahoma beats Missouri in the Big 12 title game and goes on to the BCS National Championship against the SEC champion, either Florida or Alabama.
Why would this make sense?

1. Utah in Arizona is better than Utah in New Orleans. That has been a reasonable part of the discussion, given the fact that Utah fans could drive to Arizona instead of fly to Louisiana and given the idea that Utah fans might not be as interested in hanging out in New Orleans.

2. Ohio State is very attractive to the Fiesta Bowl, and all along this has been an either/or discussion with Ohio State and Utah, and now the Fiesta would get both. Getting both those enthusiastic and logical fanbases would lessen the blow of losing out on Texas.
3. Texas vs. the SEC runnerup in the Sugar Bowl would be a huge game. For all that the BCS does wrong, this would be the BCS doing right. This would also keep Texas really in the running for the Associated Press national title with a win, not that the BCS cares about that.
4. The Orange Bowl is going to draw very little interest anyway, so you may as well create one super game.
I like it, and I think Ohio State fans should embrace it as well.
Ohio State-Texas would be an interesting game, but the teams just played each other in 2005 and 2006. So some of the drama would be taken out of that showdown. And if OSU fans are really interested in ending the season on a win, I'm not sure Texas is the opponent you're looking for.
A loss to Utah, though undefeated, would really be a shot to the Ohio State program. But you have to play someone. And no matter how good Utah is, and the Utes are good, they aren't the Longhorns. So embrace that, OSU fans, and assume that the Buckeyes will play well.

But if this does not go down, the Buckeyes could be in the thick of the national title talk, and maybe not in a good way.
Regardless of where Texas plays, the No. 3 Longhorns, ranked ahead of No. 4 Oklahoma in the Associated Press poll, could be in line for the AP share of the national title if Oklahoma wins the BCS National Championship.
Of the 65 voters in the AP poll, 41 have Texas ahead of Oklahoma.
But is Ohio State good enough for anyone to be impressed should Texas thrash the Buckeyes, or would all the AP voters swing to the BCS National Championship winner because everyone agrees that Oklahoma and Florida/Alabama are outstanding teams?
That's a question I'm asking myself as an AP voter, because the AP asked us to respond to that for a story. My brilliant answer? It depends.

In the meantime, that national discussion, should it occur, might include a lot of downgrading of the Buckeyes, talking about their blowout against USC, their loss to Penn State, and the fact that their best win came against a Michigan State team that didn't really beat anyone else. That might not be a lot of fun for Ohio State fans to listen to.
Of course, if Ohio State beats Texas ... great win for the Buckeyes.
But from the Texas standpoint, the Longhorns would definitely be better served by the chance to get a win over Florida or Alabama than by the chance to beat Ohio State.
COMMENT FROM DOUG: In response to Danny, you make some good points. But yes, I think there are Ohio State fans out there that, after, two big national championship losses, would be more than happy to end the season with a bowl win, no matter what team it's against. But to lose to Utah would be another knock that would be hard to shake nationally.

Oklahoma gets defensive (again), just in time for the defense to face the skeptics

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
Scroll down or click here for the Doc's weekly game day live blog.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-889897584-1228627281.jpg
Oklahoma 62, Missouri 21. The focus tonight, deservedly, will be the ongoing exuberance of the Sooner offense, over 500 yards and 45 points for the seventh game in a row, and over 60 for the fifth in a row. For SEC fans, and maybe a few very bitter Longhorns, the focus of the next month will be on the Sooners' lack of D. It's hard to argue otherwise based on the numbers, with U ranking 66th in total defense and 60th in scoring D coming into tonight and having given up 45 and 41, respectively, in its marquee wins over Texas and Oklahoma State.
Twice in the last three weeks, though, the Sooners have two glittering, diamond-encrusted defensive efforts to put in front of the skeptics, against two of the most prolific offenses in the country outside of their own. Against Texas Tech, OU held an offense averaging 47 points in its other 11 games to seven points, three punts, two turnovers on downs and an interception in the first half; the vast majority of the Raiders' eventual 400-yard night came after they trailed 51-7 early in the third quarter. Tonight, against an offense averaging 500-plus yards and 45 points in its first 12 games, Oklahoma held Missouri scoreless on six of the Tigers' first seven drives, and led 41-7 before Mizzou gained the bulk of its 360 yards in the third and fourth quarters. In the first half alone, Chase Daniel was sacked three times, fumbled once and was intercepted once. Look at those scores again if necessary. Daniel and Graham Harrell may as well have played 40 minutes in handcuffs.
Not including gimme wins over Chattanooga and Washington, the Sooners' average halftime advantage for the season is 36-14; since losing to Texas, it's 42-15. Just something to keep in mind when the "one-dimensional/no defense" buzz begins in earnest.

I'm sure any dimwit can see what teams are playing within their own state, but I'm half-sloshed and took Hawaii +7.5 in the Hawaii special as I like to call it...hoping for a solid 3-3 day...anyway, here's the teams that are playing within their borders....

12/24 Hawaii vs______ in the Hawaii Bowl
12/27 Cal vs _________in the Emerald Bowl
12/28 La Tech vs______in the Independence Bowl
12/31 Vanderbilt vs____ in the Music City Bowl
12/31 GA Tech vs______ in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl
1/1 USC vs Penn St in the Rose Bowl

More to come I'm sure....Time to make some bank!

Anybody else feel that USC hands it to Penn State?

me & bar have already been discussing this...and at least for me, it's the very 1st line i'll be looking for.
remember illy? UM? usc was supposed to be all disappointed. bottom line...pete gets them up...and they're gonna put an (early '08) tOSU-type of ass whoopin on PSU.

best defense in the country. shame it won't be Florida/USC in the MNC game.

Tv Tan Line College Football Saturday in Review

from Tv Tan Line by scotty
<embed src="http://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&RGB=0x000000&feed=http%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2Fmugsydog%2Falbumid%2F5276921804451204673%3Fkind%3Dphoto%26alt%3Drss" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="267">Popout

* There are still good seats available for the ACC Championship game. If I recall correctly they had the same problem last year. They should really consider playing that game in smaller venues. I feel embarrassed for them.
* Based on his post game interview he isn't ready for prime time, but some of the better jobs should take a look at the Buffalo coach. It wasn't that long ago Buffalo was a punchline in the NCAA.
* I loved seeing the Sooner Schooner lose it's hitch. It seems fitting in the way they backed into the B12 championship.
* Is Tim Tebow's sister suffering from cramps today? Seriously, when they cut to her in the crowd all she could do was hold her uterus. Many Midols to her and hopefully a happy tomorrow.
* While watching the WVU game tonight I realized I didn't see any great snow games this year. Yeah the WVU game had some snow, but I wanted some 3 inch deep football action somewhere. Damn you Al Gore and your global warming.
* You know, I think I could do without the announcers for most games. Just give me the telecast and crowd noise.
* Related to above, I think it is funny when Al Micheals says "Down (insert city/state) way". e.g. "Down Austin way..."
* I could see the OU team in camouflage like Army sported today. It is the Versace of white trash after all.
* Sam Bradford still looks like a caveman.
* I have heard all week that Stoops has not been running it up. I call "bullshit!" after tonight. Any one that saw how he behaved on the sidelines when 60+ was in reach cannot disagree. Stay classy Norman..of course the OU mascot is a thief so moot point I suppose.
* USC/UCLA both in colors was cool. I suppose it is an officiating deal that both cant wear colors, but still, it looks good on tv.
* AZ vs. AZ St is a top 10 matchup ... Top 10 hottie universities that is ... high-five
* There is a game being played in Hawaii as a I type this.. I just dont have the stamina to watch.

If BAMA cant roll tide tonight maybe they can roll something else with these

c/o sec poon

tvtanline%20-%201205-1900%28TV53%29%5B3%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201205-1900%28TV53%29%5B10%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201205-2220%28TV3%29%5B1%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1106%28TV5%29%5B10%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1110%28TV5%29%5B1%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1111%28TV5%29%5B2%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1245%28TV3%29.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1330%28TV3%29.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1348%28TV3%29%5B5%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1418%28TV3%29%5B7%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1419%28TV3%29.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1419%28TV3%29%5B6%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1431%28TV3%29%5B3%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1530%28TV5%29%5B2%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1541%28TV5%29%5B4%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1556%28TV5%29%5B4%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1607%28TV3%29%5B5%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1628%28TV3%29.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1642%28TV3%29%5B1%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1753%28TV3%29%5B1%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1825%28TV3%29%5B4%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1901%28TV3%29%5B5%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1922%28TV3%29%5B2%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1928%28TV53%29%5B6%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-1932%28TV53%29.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-2007%28TV3%29%5B2%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-2050%28TV3%29%5B3%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-2147%28TV3%29%5B1%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-2153%28TV3%29.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-2209%28TV3%29%5B4%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-2211%28TV53%29%5B7%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%201206-2215%28TV53%29%5B2%5D.jpg

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">The BCS Matchups & Early Previews </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
622258.jpg

</td> <td width="3" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table width="60%" bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Dec 7, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

The official announcement doesn't come until this evening, but it'll be Tim Tebow's Florida vs. Mossis Madu's Oklahoma for the national title as the headliner of a potentially great BCS season. Check out what the matchups will be along with quick breakdowns and early analysis of the five biggest games of the season.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif] Rose Bowl
[/FONT] Penn State vs. USC[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT] Jan. 1 / 5:10 p.m. ET Pasadena, Calif. ABC[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]
BCS vs. BCS (Big 10 vs. Pac 10 if available)

While it would've been a nice storyline if Oregon State was able to find its way to Pasadena, the Beavers already got blasted by Penn State this year and this matchup is far, far more interesting. It's the first time USC and Penn State have squared off since 29-5 Trojan destruction of Joe Paterno's team in the 1995 Kickoff Classic, and the first bowl between the two teams since a 14-3 USC win in the 1923 Rose Bowl. Each team feels it should've been in the national title discussion, but Penn State blew its chance with a 24-23 loss at Iowa, while USC's loss to Oregon State kept it out of the BCS Championship hunt. This is the seventh straight BCS bowl for USC, and its fourth straight Rose Bowl, while Penn State is back in Pasadena for the first time since beating Oregon 38-20 at the end of the 1994 season. Penn State has won three straight bowl games and nine of its last 11. It's a true Big Ten vs. Pac 10 champion matchup for the first time since 2004 (USC vs. Michigan), while the Big Ten won the bowl since a 2000 Wisconsin victory over Stanford.

Quick Breakdown: Defense, defense, defense. USC has been special, allowing just 93 points on the year and have allowed more than seven points just four times. The offense has been less than USC-like, but it's been fine. It's just not the defense. Penn State led the Big Ten in defense big a long shot, and finished fifth in the country, allowing 264 yards per game. The offense never got a lot of credit, but it was almost perfectly balanced averaging 241 passing yards and 212 rushing yards per game. However, the attack hasn't been consistent. The line play is among the best in America, while this will be the most complete team the Trojans have faced by far. It you want to go by common opponents, Penn State beat Ohio State in Columbus 13-7, while USC beat a Beanie Wells-less OSU in a 35-3 blasting. USC lost to Oregon State 27-21, while Penn State beat the Beavers 45-14.

Best Wins: USC 35-3 over Ohio State, Penn State 13-6 at Ohio State

The Buzz Will Be ... that this should be the second best bowl game of the season. If either one wins convincingly, a No. 2 spot in the final rankings will be possible. Penn State and the Big Ten desperately need to show they can play with USC, while the Trojans will look to keep their Pasadena dominance. Whichever team that wins will be screaming that it deserves to be in some sort of a playoff.[/SIZE]

[/SIZE][/FONT] Orange Bowl
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Virginia Tech vs. Cincinnati[/FONT] Jan. 1 / 8 p.m. Miami Gardens, Fla. FOX[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]
BCS vs. BCS (ACC Champion to play here if available)

It's the land of the misfit teams that no one really cares about seeing play. There's a lot to prove for each team as the ACC could desperately use a BCS win. Florida State's 31-26 win over Notre Dame in the 1996 game was the last time the ACC has won an Orange Bowl, while the Big East needs to keep some decent momentum going. West Virginia has represented itself well in the BCS, while Louisville managed to beat Wake Forest two years ago in the 2007 Orange Bowl. Now it'll be up to Cincinnati to keep up the tradition. Virginia Tech is coming off a solid ACC title game win over Boston College, with the defense starting to kick in again to the old Hokie level, while Cincinnati survived Hawaii to close off a fantastic year. No, this won't be the highest-rated game, but it should be competitive and it will go a long way for conference bragging rights for each team's respective lead.

Quick Breakdown: Virginia Tech's offense has revolved around two very good, very banged up players: QB Tyrod Taylor and RB Darren Evans. The time off should do wonders for each of them against a strong Cincinnati run defense that was one of the Big East's best. The Bearcats also need the time off to heal with star WR Dominick Goodman suffering a separated shoulder against Hawaii. UC doesn't have the defense that Virginia Tech has shown, but it's aggressive and it's great at getting into the backfield. The passing game is efficient, the special teams have been fantastic, and the results have been there under head coach Brian Kelly with 21 wins in the last two years. Can Virginia Tech's mediocre offensive line handle the Bearcat defensive front? That's the key to the game. Tech won't show much of a passing game and will need to run well and must come up with big plays from the special teams and defense to win. Taylor and Evans have to be great, too.

Best Wins: Virginia Tech 30-12 over Boston College in the ACC Championship; Cincinnati 28-21 over Pitt

The Buzz Will Be ... which conference will represent? Many believe that the ACC and Big East shouldn't get an automatic bid into the BCS, and this will universally be seen as the least interesting BCS game. The two teams have to change that with a good game. The Orange has been entertaining over the last three years, even though the matchups haven't captured America's fancy. Would a win launch Cincinnati into the big time, or at least the bigger time? Would a win for Virginia Tech reestablish the program as a power after a rough year? It'll be a battle.[/SIZE]

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Sugar Bowl
[/FONT] Utah vs. Alabama Jan. 2 / 8:30 p.m. ET New Orleans, La. FOX[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]
BCS vs. BCS (SEC Champion to play here if available)

Utah had to be stuck somewhere. The Utes desperately wanted to go to the Fiesta Bowl to get their fan base to be able to drive down, but the idea of Texas vs. Ohio State was way too spicy for the Glendale types to pass up. Now the Sugar Bowl gets its second straight matchup of the automatic non-BCS conference team against the grouchy, disappointed SEC team, and America can only hope this is slightly better than Georgia's 41-10 blasting of Hawaii last year. Of course, the Tide was hoping to be off to the national title game, but its hard-fought loss to the Florida Tebows, uh, Gators means the trip to New Orleans will have to do. Before the season, Tide fans would've taken the Sugar Bowl in a heartbeat, but now it's a no-win game. Beat Utah, big deal. Lose to Utah, the season goes from epic to disastrous. The Utes were never seriously in the national title debate, even though they're unbeaten, and they'll be looking to prove they should've been in Miami on January 8th rather than in New Orleans six days earlier.

Quick Breakdown: While the two teams play different styles of offense, they're more like each other than it might seem on the surface. There will be some major league hitting going on highlighted by big, physical offensive line play. Alabama's front five has been special, while Utah's running game is all about power, power, power. Oh sure, the Utes run the spread, though not nearly as well as Florida, but when push comes to shove, they like to push and shove. Utah has an ultra-efficient passing game and an offense that doesn't make mistakes, Alabama has a tough, smart passing game and an offense that doesn't make mistakes. The focus will be on two veteran quarterbacks, Alabama's John Parker Wilson and Utah's Brian Johnson. They've both seen and done it all, and they should ensure a tight, tough game without a lot of offensive sloppiness.

Best Wins: Utah 13-10 over TCU; Alabama 41-30 over Georgia

The Buzz Will Be ... is Utah for real? If the Utes pull this off, then it'll be time to reevaluate Alabama's season and the SEC as a whole, if the league doesn't have a great bowl season. If they win, they'll have a legitimate chip in the national title debate considering they'll be unbeaten with a win every bit as good as Florida's. Meanwhile, a win for Alabama can be a launching pad to what's expected to be a big 2009, even with a slew of top talents gone. This is the curiousity game, and it'll be one that'll get the message boards buzzing with a slew of wild debates about the BCS teams vs. the non-BCSers.[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
Fiesta Bowl [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
[/FONT] Texas vs. Ohio State Jan. 5 / 8 p.m. Phoenix, Ariz. FOX
*BCS vs. BCS (Big 12 Champion, if available)
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]

Utah wanted the Fiesta, the Fiesta wanted Texas - Ohio State. Fine, so it would've been more interesting to have seen Ohio State play Alabama, just to see if the program can get the SEC elephant off its back, but there's no complaining about this matchup that was national title-good not all that long ago when Troy Smith and Vince Young were winging it around. Texas believes it should've been in Kansas City to play Missouri as a pitstop before going off to deal with Florida in the BCS Championship game, but someone had to be screwed in the equation. For those who care about this sort of thing, an impressive performance could mean an AP national title, even if it's a bit far-fetched and doesn't matter compared to the BCS Championship. A win for the Longhorns would allow the ticked off fans to gripe even more about what might have been, while a win for Ohio State would be the big-time victory the program desperately needs after the last two national title games and the fiasco against USC to start the year.

Quick Breakdown: The two run defenses are among the best in America and, while it might not be sexy, you're not going to see a better matchup of punting games all year. That will matter as field position could mean everything. This will be the best defense Texas has faced by far. Colt McCoy and the offense has been able to light everyone up like a Christmas tree, but it hasn't seen a secondary like this one. Meanwhile, Ohio State might actually have to open things up a little bit and start to throw the ball a bit more to keep up if McCoy gets rolling. Can the much-maligned Buckeye offensive line handle the Texas pass rush? It'll have to if this gets into any sort of a shootout.

Best Wins: Ohio State 45-7 over Michigan State; Texas 45-35 over Oklahoma

The Buzz Will Be ... Texas might want to come out and beat Ohio State, Oklahoma, Missouri and Florida in the first quarter. This will be an angry, angry team with a lot prove to the world as it'll want to make a statement. On the flip side, Ohio State had better show up. Another blowout loss in a BCS game would be a nightmare for the program and the Big Ten. Lose this big, and the Buckeyes will struggle to get the benefit of any BCS doubts going forward. [/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif] [/FONT] BCS Championship Game
Oklahoma vs. Florida
Jan. 8 / 8 p.m. Miami Gardens, Fla. FOX[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]
BCS No. 1 vs. BCS No. 2
[/SIZE]

[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]This might not quite be Texas vs. USC at the end of the 2006 season, but it's not far off. If nothing else, the speed and athleticism on both sides will be breathtaking. Putting the whole Texas debate aside, this is the matchup that everyone really wants, at least outside of Austin, with the potential to be among the best BCS games ever if the two teams play up to their capabilities. At the very least the month-long pregame analysis will be a blast. The record-setting Oklahoma offense vs. a Florida attack that's better than anything Steve Spurrier ever put together. Athletes galore on both defenses, questions about the toughness of OU, the secondary of Florida, and the head coaches with mega-watt star power will be among the main topics. Urban Meyer and Bob Stoops will each look to go from elite to a whole other level of legendary with a second national title for the résumé, the Heisman debate will be settled a game too late, and reputation of the two power conferences will be be at stake. It was a down year for the SEC, but a win by Florida would make everything seem fine as the league would take home its third straight national title. For Oklahoma, a win would end the ugly slide of bad performances in BCS games, making amends for past sins against West Virginia, Boise State, USC and LSU.

Quick Breakdown: Tim Tebow has said he'd like to get a crack at the Big 12 defenses. Here's his shot. It'll be asking a lot for Oklahoma to put up 60+ points on the board like it did with regularity over the second half of the season, but the Florida defense hasn't exactly been tested by a who's who of offensive juggernauts. On the flip side, the Sooners haven't faced a team with this much defensive talent since the loss to Texas. Neither team makes mistakes, they're 1 (Florida), 2 (Oklahoma) in turnover margin, Tebow and Sam Bradford are two of the most efficient passers in the history of college football, and each team gets to the quarterback ... there's a lot to chew on, breakdown, and digest.

Best Wins: Florida 31-20 win over Alabama in the SEC Championship; Oklahoma 65-21 win over Texas Tech

The Buzz Will Be ... the reputation maker. Florida will either be the superpower of college football superpowers, with two national titles in the last three years, or Oklahoma will reestablish itself on top of the world with its first national title since 2000. No matter what happens, if Texas beats Ohio State, there will be a major debate. However, the game itself has the potential to be special. Anything less than a classic will be a major disappointment. [/SIZE]
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Box Scorin': Jahvid Best serves the final pie to Washington's face

Weird, wild and prolific stats from Saturday's action.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-498391191-1228664198.jpg
Jahvid Best had seven runs of 15 yards or more in Cal's easy blowout of Washington, including touchdown runs of 60, 20 and 80 yards and another gain of fifty-three. Best finished with 311 yards on 16.4 per carry, captured the Pac-10 rushing title from Jacquizz Rodgers and mercifully left the fourth quarter to the bench. He finishes the regular season averaging 8.0 per carry, a full yard better than the second-highest average (Georgia Tech's Jonathan Dwyer) among players with at least 150 carries.
Navy averaged 4.7 yards on 43 plays when Shun White didn't touch the ball, and 11.9 yards on 14 plays when he did in the Midshipmen's 34-0 rout of Army. For the season, White's 8.7 yards per carry on 118 carries ranks second nationally, behind his "A-Back" counterpart at Georgia Tech, Roddy Jones (just 72 carries).
East Carolina intercepted David Johnson five times and held Tulsa to 399 total yards to win the Conference USA championship, the Hurricanes' lowest output of the year and only the second time it failed to put up at least 500 yards. Tulsa has averaged 560 yards over the last two years under offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, and its 24 points Saturday was less than half its season average.
Pittsburgh had its worst offensive production of the season (228 yards) but tied its fourth highest-scoring effort with 34 points in a win over UConn. The teams combined for six points in the first half and 38 in the second, 31 by the Panthers.
Florida International gained 435 yards total offense in its win over Western Kentucky a week after gaining 512 in a loss to UL-Lafayette, its two best single-game totals since the start of 2006.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-481787894-1228664225.jpg
In his 44th and final start, Rudy Carpenter finished with just 124 yards passing in Arizona State's loss to Arizona, a week after throwing for just 101 in ASU's win over UCLA, the two worst single-game totals of Carpenter's career.
Boston College and Virginia Tech combined for 14 three-and-out possessions -- seven apiece -- in the Hokies' 30-12 win for the ACC championship.
Southern Cal gained 33 first downs on 80 plays, or 41 percent of its total plays, to UCLA's seven first downs on 60 plays, less than 12 percent. To be fair, the Trojans did "earn" an astonishing seven renewals due to Bruin penalties in a very chippy game.
West Virginia and South Florida combined for 43 first downs but only 20 points in the Mountaineers' 13-7 win.
After scoring a short-field touchdown to take a 24-10 lead over Cincinnati at the start of the fourth quarter, Hawaii was held to –8 yards on 12 plays over its final five possessions, which included an interception returned for touchdown and a fumble recovered for a safety in a 19-point Bearcat rally for the win.

BCS Selection Process Explained

from Burnt Orange Nation by awiggo
There has been a lot of speculation about Texas possibly playing Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Let's take a look at how this is almost impossible.
The top two teams in the final BCS poll will play in the national championship game in Miami on January 8<sup>th</sup>. For the sake of this post, I am going to assume those two teams are Oklahoma and Florida. I am also going to assume that Oklahoma is the top ranked team and Florida is the second ranked team.
Now, the national championship game is set: #1 Oklahoma vs. #2 Florida.
The others that are now set involve the automatic bowl tie-ins. The Rose Bowl will get the Pac-10 champion vs. the Big 10 champion. This year, that will be Penn State vs. USC. So, the Rose Bowl is now set.
The Orange Bowl automatically gets the ACC champion. By virtue of their win over Boston College yesterday afternoon, Virginia Tech is headed to the Orange Bowl.
There are now five teams of the ten in place. Next, the bowls which lost their automatic tie-ins to the national championship game will get to pick replacement teams, with the bowl that lost the #1 ranked team picking first. In my assumed scenario, Oklahoma is the top ranked team, and as the Big XII champion, would have automatically qualified for the Fiesta Bowl as the Big XII representative. So, the Fiesta Bowl gets the first replacement pick followed by the Sugar Bowl, by virtue of losing Florida.
The Fiesta Bowl would be crazy not to select Texas. The Longhorns will finish in the top four of the final BCS standings and automatically qualify for a BCS berth. If the Fiesta were to pass on the Longhorns, then Texas would be selected by either the Sugar or the Orange bowls. This is not going to happen.
(Some of you may be wondering what would happen should Florida be #1 and Oklahoma #2 in the final BCS poll, therefore giving the Sugar Bowl the first replacement pick and the Fiesta the second one. In this case, nothing changes. There is a provision in the BCS rules that states a bowl picking a replacement team for the #1 team may not select a team from the same conference as the #2 team without the permission of the tie-in bowl of that conference. What this means is the Sugar Bowl would not be allowed to pick Texas with their replacement pick unless the Fiesta Bowl agreed to it. That is not going to happen without an amazing amount of cash changing hands. Don't hold your breath Longhorn fans.)
Ok, back to the selection process. The Fiesta will take Texas as their replacement pick and the Sugar Bowl will pick Alabama as theirs.
Now, we have the national championship game, the automatic selections, and the replacement picks taken care of. There are three spots left. The bowls alternate the picking order year to year. This year it is Fiesta, Sugar, and then Orange.
The Fiesta gets the next pick and can choose teams like Ohio State, Utah, or Boise State. The most likely pick here is Ohio State. Buckeye fans travel, the television ratings will be very good, and it would be the rubber match of a home-and-home series between Texas and OSU from a few years ago.
The Sugar Bowl gets the next pick and must take either Utah or Cincinnati. Utah is the highest rated conference champion from a non-automatic qualifying conference and is ranked in the top 12 of the final standings. Cincinnati is an automatic qualifier as the Big East champion. The safe money is on the Sugar selecting Utah and letting Cincy fall to the Orange Bowl.
National Championship: Oklahoma vs. Florida
Rose Bowl: Penn State vs. USC
Fiesta Bowl: Texas vs. Ohio State
Sugar: Alabama vs. Utah
Orange: Virginia Tech vs. Cincinnati
There is one final provision which allows BCS officials to change the match-ups to avoid rematches or to align the teams for better television ratings. For those of you hoping to see Texas in the Sugar Bowl, this is what you're basing your hopes on because if the selections go logically, then Texas is headed to the Fiesta Bowl.

USC Offensive Coordinator Takes Washington Job But Will Coach In Rose Bowl

from Black Shoe Diaries by Kevin HD
USC Offensive Coordinator Takes Washington Job But Will Coach In Rose Bowl

The job part isn't really breaking news, it was confirmed via "sources close to the program" late last week.
The interesting part, though, is this:
"According to the Orange County Register, Sarkisian said he will remain at USC through the Rose Bowl, while also recruiting coaches and players for Washington. He also said he will call plays for the Huskies next season but will hire an offensive coordinator."
So pretty much business as usual for their match-up against Penn State.
It may still be a bit of a distraction, of course, but I don't think Carroll would let Sarkisian stick around if he didn't think the assistant was committed.

Bob Stoops: Classless Prick Thread

from Burnt Orange Nation by GhostofBigRoy
Bob Stoops, member of the College Football Golf Prick Club (charter member: the head ball coach, Steve Spurrier), demonstrated on Saturday night why he doesn't have as much class as Mack Brown has in his little finger. With the game well out of reach in the second half, Stoops left in all his starters, including Heisman candidate Sam Bradford, until the end of the game, even throwing the ball into the end zone with less than four minutes remaining in the game. His excuse?
We're in a championship game and we're going to play to the end. If you can't play to the end, I'm sorry.
Say what? What are you proving by playing until the end with your starters? That you're out to embarrass your opponent as much as possible? That you have no sense of sportsmanship or decency? All this coming from a coach who was held up as a paragon of virtue because he declined to do an interview for ESPN during the Texas-Texas A&M game. Wow, what a great guy.
Mack Brown and Texas fans are derided as being whiny, sore losers, yet Stoops is held up as some type of great guy? Excuse me while I barf. Enduring a day of football in which I had to listen to Gary Danielson shamelessly slobber all over Tim Tebow and Brent Musburger and Kirk Herbstreit fail to call out Bob Stoops has left me feeling pretty sick to my stomach. Poop on Stoops.

USA Today Coaches Poll: Florida and OU essentially tied for #1

from Burnt Orange Nation by awiggo
USA Today Coaches Poll: Florida and OU essentially tied for #1

This is horrible news for Texas. The Longhorns are behind Florida by 73 votes. Even with a .04 advantage in the computers, which is about as much as we could hope for, Texas would need to be ahead of Florida in the Harris poll. This isn't going to happen. Last week's Harris had Florida #2, Texas #3, and OU #4. It is not a stretch to predict Florida and OU taking the top spots this week.
Fiesta Bowl bound.

Skip Holtz to Syracuse?

from The Wiz of Odds by Jay Christensen
Plenty of chatter Sunday morning on the coaching front, beginning with Syracuse.
East Carolina's Skip Holtz will be the new coach of the Orange, according to a report on the NFL Network. An announcement is expected Monday.
There is no secondary source on the story, reported by Michael Bradley of the NFL Network, but a site was started last week by Syracuse fans pushing for Holtz to be the new coach. They might be getting their wish.
Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross and Holtz are expected to be in New York Monday and Tuesday for the College Football Hall of Fame Induction ceremony. Holtz's father, Lou Holtz, is being inducted as is former Syracuse quarterback Don McPherson.
Other coaching news:
Rodney McKissic of the Buffalo News reports that Auburn has asked for and was granted permission to speak with Buffalo's Turner Gill.
Georgia Tech, in what appears to be a proactive move, is planning to beef up the contract of Paul Johnson, whose name has come up as a possible candidate at Auburn.
Texas Tech has offered Mike Leach a reworked five-year, $12.1 million contract. Leach is currently under contract through the 2010 season and is scheduled to be paid $2.65 million in 2009 and $2.35 million in 2010.
Under the proposal, Leach would be paid an additional $7 million over the last three years of the new deal, an average of $2.33 a year. If you add in the first two years of Leach's current deal, his average salary in the "reworked" five-year contract would be $2.42 million. He buyout would remain a manageable $500,000.

Bowl Rumblings for Georgia

from Georgia Sports Blog by Paul Westerdawg
We're apparently going to wait til the last minute to find out if we're going to the Capital One or Outback Bowl. The official announcements are slated for roughly 4:00 EST today. UGASports.com thinks it's a near lock that we're going to the Capital One Bowl. I agree with them.

The Orlando Sentinel also thinks we're heading to Orlando. That's a pretty strong indicator. Both projections have us playing Michigan State. Sportsline also agrees.

CFN, in their continuing effort to be unreadable, have us in the Outback Bowl. If they are right, then that'll be news in its own right.

PWD

To the teams on top of the world, just not the world that matters: Keep your head up.

Pete Carroll on Saturday night, victorious for the ninth weekend in a row, but also resigned:
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nft1Ovx6gU0&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="295">Popout​
Here's the nature of the system that Carroll doesn't understand, doesn't endorse and only exasperatingly accepts: In the first BCS computer poll released this morning, Jeff Sagarin's, Carroll's team is ranked seventh, behind not only Oklahoma, Florida and Texas, but also Utah, Texas Tech and Alabama, and only one spot ahead of Boise State. That's the official score (the "ELO_CHESS," as Sagarin dubs it) in this week's standings. But even Jeff Sagarin doesn't believe that. In the section of the rankings he dubs the "Predictor," his mathematical prediction at what would happen on the proverbial neutral field, Southern Cal ranks second behind only Florida, and would be a double-digit favorite against Utah, Texas Tech and Alabama, three of the teams in front of the Trojans in the ELO_CHESS.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-109797689-1228673013.jpg
Even among a specialized audience with an intense interest in college football, I suspect most readers here have no idea what the "ELO_CHESS" is, or why it matters. But, like Pete Carroll, you know it doesn't feel right. USC's defense has held 10 of 12 opponents to 10 points or less; ranks No. 1 nationally in total, scoring, pass and pass efficiency defense, and fifth against the run; is in the top 20 nationally in rushing, total and scoring offense, as well as pass efficiency; has a 3-1 record against Sagarin's top 30, the same as Florida, Texas, Texas Tech and Alabama; and joins Florida as the only teams in the nation winning by 30 points per game. Virginia, Ohio State, Oregon, Washington State, Washington and Notre Dame -- fully half of USC's schedule -- all suffered their most lopsided loss of the season at the hands of the Trojans.
This is not an appeal for USC to play in the mythical championship game, because it frankly doesn't have the overall strength of schedule, and Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, Penn State and Utah all have equally compelling resumés. In SC's case, there was not enough meat on the bone in the last two months to overcome a bad first half against Oregon State. Under the system, only two teams can play for the so-called title, and in that context, USC's exclusion -- and Penn State's, and Utah's, and Texas Tech's and, yes, Texas' too -- is justified.
Under any fair assessment of how well teams are actually performing on the field, it makes no sense whatsoever. Even the computers think USC would trounce most of the teams they rank in front of it. I do too, in the informal "Predictor" in my head. Texas would also stand a very good chance, and I'm not so sure Penn State would fall by the wayside very quickly.
Not that I have idea how this would actually play out, but that's the point: I do know that all of these teams seem about as good as the two destined for Miami on Jan. 8, and that the factors separating them -- while not arbitrary -- are so small as to be completely absurd as barriers for exclusion. So as we begin a month of obsession over the relative merits and demerits of Oklahoma and Florida and their championship prospects, don't be fooled into thinking these are "the two best teams" in the country, or whatever it is. If that title can honestly exist at all, it's not waiting at the top of the ELO_CHESS.

Beamer Ball

from The Wiz of Odds by Jay Christensen
<embed allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="never" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hb7ZVwJ_nlM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="470" height="389">PopoutAt least Frank Beamer takes a punch better than Oscar De La Hoya. Thanks to Sports By Brooks for finding this video of the Virginia Tech coach getting clocked by backup quarterback Cory Holt during the Hokies' dismantling of Boston College in the Atlantic Coast Conference title game.

UT stays third in AP

from Bevo Beat
Florida became the sixth team this season to claim the top spot in the Associated Press media poll.
But despite Oklahoma’s mauling of Missouri in the Big 12 Conference title game, the vote between the Sooners and Longhorns for second and third was very close.
Oklahoma moved from fourth to second with the 62-21 victory, but the Sooners were only 10 points ahead of Texas in this week’s poll.
The Sooners received nine first-place votes. The Longhorns had six, after receiving none in last week’s poll.
Last week, 40 voters had Texas ahead of Oklahoma. This week, UT was ahead of the Sooners on 34 ballots.
The AP is not included in the Bowl Championship Series standings. However, the voters do award their own national championship trophy.

"Let There Be No Question"

from Burnt Orange Nation by whills
There are those times in life when an inch becomes a mile, a second becomes an eternity. When those things occur and you have no power to change those situations, it is time to collect your attention and focus on your intent for the future. In our specific situation, next season begins in January and fulfills the intent of "Let there be no question."
Sometimes your very best is just not enough. That is the nature of competition in this life. While the moment of recognition may send you into an emotional rage or to intense introspection, the wise position is to understand your responsibility in the situation, however large or small it may be, to accept it and to focus outward. Life does not stop just because we get lost in a moment. In fact, that moment is a serious vulnerability if you have enemies at the door and your vigilance is wavering.
Life is not full of replays. But the generations of humans are a spiral in time and sometimes you will get the opportunity to balance the past and reset the future. It is the most human of things to grasp at what slim and diminishing hope that you may have. But when that finally slips from your grasp and you have still survived, life is about the future, about right now.
The Sooners will reap what they have sown, with or without our collusion. We will have our opportunity next October. There is nothing we can do at the moment that will alter their fate. I suspect there are many who are thoroughly enjoying our discomfort. This board is about expressing ourselves and, by definition, is not particularly stoic in the warrior sense. However, that ethic should guide some of our sensibilities. We're Texas - and we're big enough to take it. And we're strong enough to do something about it in the future.
The Horns, as a team, do not have the luxury of dwelling in the past. In a month or so they'll face someone who would just love to wax our ass and to prove this whole interlude was cosmic joke. You youngsters need a little of that Clint Eastwood squint, to screw your butt into the ground and "get mean, get real mean." Because the future is not kind by nature, and it is coming straight at us right now.
Hopefully, the Horns have buried this along with the other artifacts of this season and are strong and wise enough to face the future and begin the quest for next season when they alone can make sure there is no question about who is #1.

Skip Holtz to Syracuse

from Fanblogs.com by Kevin Donahue
After interviewing several top assistants and hot head coaches, the NFL Network (of all places) is reporting that Syracuse will introduce ECU head coach Skip Holtz as the next head coach of the Orange.
The News & Observer has attempted to confirm the report, but could not reach Holtz, ECU athletics director Terry Holland or Syracuse AD Daryl Gross as of noon Sunday.
According to the reports, Holtz will be introduced at a press conference on Monday, and will then attend the College Football Hall of Fame dinner in New York city that evening.
Holtz is 29-21 in three years at East Carolina, where he inherited a team that had three wins in the preceding two seasons.
As far as hires go, this is really about the best that Syracuse could have done. Holtz is a fiery competitor who brought the Pirates to the top of C-USA, knocking off several BCS opponents in getting there. If he can recruit within New York, then he should be able to bring Syracuse back to the top of the Big East in short order.
The News & Observer is reporting that Virginia Tech DC Bud Foster is at the top of the Pirates list if the Holtz reports are indeed correct.

The Alphabetical: College Football, Week 15

from The Sporting Blog
Each Sunday during college football season, Spencer Hall offers a letter-by-letter analysis of Saturday’s college football games.
oklahomaorangeso7.jpg

A is for Absolved. As in the BCS, temporarily. Repeating the existing policy of this column: the only sure, clearly defined championship a team can win (and which a fan may crow about justifiably) is their conference championship. Fans of Florida, Oklahoma, and even the Ragin Cajuns of the Sun Belt ... get your gloat on, as someone (your football team of choice) has earned it for you. The BCS is this kind of franken-creature built from the cartel of the old bowl system that may or may not pick your superb one loss team from the pile of superb one loss teams in the nation. This depends less on absolute quality than the vogue of the moment, the prejudices of voters, and in some cases, the ignorance of the chosen electorate.
Depending on the system to get things right is like depending on your favorite mechanic to properly diagnose a budding brain tumor: that’s not what it’s designed for, and that’s not what it can do. What it does is make a lot of money and, in most years, produce interesting matchups which, at the end, are held up and gainsaid as the “National Champions.”
It is elegant and occasionally thrilling fraud, but it is not a proper way to determine a national champion every year.
B is for But: The BCS has produced a compelling matchup to end the season this year, and the one many -- including guru/cyborg football overlord Phil Steele -- called for at the beginning of the season. Oklahoma-Florida is one of four or five compelling matchups that could have ended the season, and will be a blazing shootout of a game if the previous 13 games are any indicators of their collective talents.
You may not accurately call it a national title. You may also not call it boring, and that, for the moment, is what we of the college football peasantry have to settle for. You’ll drink beer. You’ll watch it. It won’t be work. The goodness of this should not be overlooked.
C is for Cajuns. Their name in old editions of NCAA 2000something spelled out “UL-LAF” on the scoreboard, which I always pronounced as “You’ll laugh,” a statement applying to their defense as you ran over them with whatever musclebound team of demons you’d chosen to be in that particular game.
Laugh no more at the Ragin’ Cajuns. Michael Desormeaux and his unpronounceable last name (Dez-Uh-Moe, according to our Lafayette contacts, is close) threw for four TDs to beat the Blue Raiders of Middle Tennessee State, finish at .500 for the season, and ensure that we get some free gumbo down the line for mentioning the Cajuns in this space. Allez!
D is for Devastated. I sit in the press box typing up a recap for the Florida-Alabama game. A television is turned to the Big 12 Championship game. Chase Daniel passes to Jeremy Maclin and the score becomes 10-7. The thought flashes past: Maybe Mizzou’s got a chance! I put my head down and start typing.
I pull up from my computer 20 minutes later and the score is 38-7 Oklahoma. The Sooners offense is not a scheme, it is a conveyor belt for opposing teams to step on with a bolt gun waiting at the end. Shhhh, other team. It’ll happen so fast that you won’t feel a thing. Just ask anyone the Sooners have faced for the past six weeks.
E is for Egregious. Slowed by injury all season, Cal’s Jahvid Best attempted to collect all his yardage lost to the trainer’s table in one game: 19 carries for 311 yards and four TDs. He averaged 16.4 yards a carry, or the equivalent of 5.47 Woody Hayes Units per touch. (“Three yards and a cloud of dust.”) Jahvid is clearly our Charles Bronson MANDOM MAN OF THE WEEK, and will receive 500 bottles of 35-year-old Japanese cologne as his prize.
F is for Fury. You know it’s a nasty, nasty game when even the kicker takes shots, as Alabama’s Leigh Tiffin did against Florida. Tiffin’s absence while recovery from a concussion forced Alabama into a confused fake field goal that became three crucial Florida points on the ensuing possession.
G is for Gargantua, Farewell. Goodbye to Falstaff-sized Aggie running back Jorvorskie Lane, who leaves the college game as his school’s all-time leader in total rushing TDs with 49. You may have spent your senior season lingering in the fullback spot and looking misplaced, but we’ll always remember you as the Kool-Aid Man in maroon barreling through the line like there was a shopping cart full of cheeseburgers being towed in front of you as bait. Au revoir, big dude: as the spread offense ... um ... spreads, you may be the last great big back for a long, long time.
H is for Horror. The Oklahoma Sooners finished the season with a 4,000 yard passer (Sam Bradford,) two 1,000 yard rushers (DeMarco Murray and Chris Brown) and a 1,000 yard receiver (Juaquin Iglesias). Really, they’re not so much an offense as a terminal illness you can only mitigate, not cure.
I is for Iconic. If you would like Georgia’s season summed up in one sad image of deflated national title hopes, here you are:
gachairsul9.jpg

J is for Just Noticed Spencer Forget to Include a ‘J.’ There are something like 50 letters in the English alphabet. You can’t possibly expect Spencer to know them all. Signed, TSB editor.
K is for Killer. Thumbs up for the Army’s “Enforcer” uniforms. There’s not enough camouflage on the football field these days, we say. Now for the next step: Nike unveiling a uniform made exclusively of LCDs designed to help the player blend in with their background like the Predator.
L is for Loopy. As in what Bill Plaschke must've been when he wrote this about the 28-7 loss by UCLA to USC:
In a game that will be remembered for the return of the crosstown colors Saturday, USC scored most of the points, but UCLA applied all the welts. The Trojans outplayed, outclassed and outscored, by a count of 28-7.
The Bruins, however, outfought.
Yes. That’s precisely what I assume when I see a score of 28-7. When I see a prairie dog plucked helplessly from the sky by a marauding hawk, I think: “Man, that hawk got OWNED.” I also think the iceberg in Titanic was the real loser and that the T-Rex will, in the end, get the last laugh on the meteor that temporarily wiped out the dinosaurs. (I say temporarily because I believe Jurassic Park was a documentary, and nothing you can say will convince me otherwise.) M is for Man’d up. Never say, though, that Rick Neuheisel is afraid to face the public following a loss.
N is for Now Available! Tickets for the 2009 ACC Championship Game, which you should reserve now to avoid the rush of over 5,000 fans all charging for only 20,000 tickets! Last year in Jacksonville, VT and BC fans bought 11,000 of the 20,000 tickets allotted for them in the ACC Championship; this year in Tampa that number dove to 5,000. Cameramen covering the game studiously avoided wide shots of the stadium.
O is for Offkey. Another player receiving a bittersweet and off-kilter farewell: Pat White of West Virginia, who finished his career on a snowy, freezing mess at Milan Puskar Stadium with a relatively modest stay in the stat sheets to match a relatively modest 13-7 win over South Florida. The top rushing QB in college football history deserved better than his coaches’ meddling with the Mountaineer offense this season.
P is for Powers. Gary Danielson, he has them. Go to the 3:45 mark of this video and watch Gary Danielson tell you exactly what will happen, and then watch events unfold thusly:
<embed allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="never" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eaCOLmCLxCg&hl=en&fs=1" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout
No. 57, Carl Johnson of Florida, is the key to that play: watch him pull from the left guard spot and cleanly smack the onrushing blitzer away from Tebow. Big feet save the day again, allowing the glowing Heisman boy to get all the credit. (Not that he doesn’t deserve his share, but don’t forget the play of Florida’s line, which took over the fourth quarter of the SEC Championship completely.)
Q is for Quadrillionth. One-thousand-million-million, or roughly the fraction of a chance Texas has of getting a rematch with the Sooners in Miami. “Could” means it is still possible, but it is also possible that I’ll be devoured by wolves when I open my door this afternoon. If this happens, by the way, suspect number one should be Mack Brown.
R is for your Rece Davis Witticism of the Week. On College Football Final last night:
Rece Davis: “Washington-Cal, and maybe the Huskies will bow up one more time for Ty Willingham’s last game ...”
[A shot of Jahvid Best sprinting untouched through no fewer than 342 people in Washington Huskies’ jerseys appears on the screen.]
“...or perhaps not.”
S is for Striking Your Coach With a Closed Fist. Sorry, coach. I just get excited sometimes.
<embed allowfullscreen="true" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hb7ZVwJ_nlM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout
Who says the ACC championship isn’t exciting? (HT: Barstool Sports)
T is for Trash-Talking.
<embed allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="never" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5m-egy9wQxo&hl=en&fs=1" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout
U is for Undignified. The exit Rudy Carpenter got from Arizona State doesn’t square with what you might have imagined the quarterback would have faced in his final game: 13/31 with 124 yards, a TD and an interception in a 31-10 loss to in-state rival Arizona.
U could also go for “Unexpectedly successful:” Arizona finishes 7-5 in a season many expected to be a hatchet season for Mike Stoops, who finishes with the first winning record for the Wildcats since 1998. Stoops was on the cliff’s edge with the wheels half off and leaning following a September 13 loss to New Mexico; way to keep the Conestoga on the mountainside, cowboy.
V is for Variable. Rutgers quarterback Mike Teel had three TDs and seven INTs in his first seven games. In his final game versus Louisville on Thursday night, he threw seven touchdowns, and posted 20 TDs and five INTs over his last five games. Consumer warning: results may vary when using Mike Teel, Quarterback-like substance.
W is for William Butler Yeats.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?​
The answer, judging from eyewitness testimony at the Georgia Dome, is Alabama, a team that finished even the worst of its plays with thunderous tackling and pad-rattling anger. Until Florida put the choke on them in fourth, they slammed into every play with a power and intensity far greater than their collective Rivals stars on the depth chart would have predicted. Once Saban gets the recruiting pipelines flowing, this team will be a two-deep tree shredder running at full bore. X is for Xenomorph. “Good luck with your surgery, Sam.” Sam Bradford played the Missouri game with a broken non-throwing hand and still led the Sooners past 60 points. When you lead your team with that ease past your opponent in the conference title game and Lisa Salters can say “good luck with your surgery” on the way off the field ... I think your awesomeness rends some kind of hole in the universe somewhere. If Bradford wins against Florida and then says ”So long, and thanks for all the fish” before flying into the universe to find a new planet ... you were warned here first.
Y is for Yoke. Or a man-leash, or something to keep Urban Meyer from wondering out 10 yards onto the field. Invisible fencing companies, please contact the SEC to suggest a bulk contract for all coaches to wear your company’s fine, humane pet/coach restraint devices at:
Southeastern Conference
2201 Richard Arrington Blvd. North
Birmingham, AL 35203
458-3000
Representatives are standing by to hear your company’s ideas. No Powerpoints, please.
Z is for Zanzibar. Or where this column may as well be, drinking a cup of tea while gazing at the electric blue waters of the Indian Ocean for the next few weeks before the bowl season cranks up. Hit the anonymous tropical wonderland of your choice and rest up before the St. Pete bowl on December 20th (which yours truly will be at to kick off the bowl season. The glamour never, ever ends.)

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Why The BCS Got It Right (and wrong)
[/FONT]
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak

[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1] At the end of the day, if we had the playoff in place we all wanted, would you be that upset/shocked if it was Florida vs. Oklahoma for the whole ball of wax? No, but that doesn't mean there's not a little bit of an empty feeling when it comes to how everything shook out. After all, if two one-loss teams are playing for the national title, then why weren't Penn State and USC more a part of the mix along with Texas? How about an unbeaten Utah, not to mention a 12-0 Boise State? Here are five reasons why the BCS got it right, and five reasons the whole thing is screwed up.

The BCS Got It Right Because ...
5. The losses really weren't that bad.
Much has been made about Oklahoma's loss to Texas, and rightly so, but the team did adjust since the defeat. Star linebacker Ryan Reynolds got hurt and Colt McCoy took advantage with short throw after short throw that burned the Sooner linebackers. Had Reynolds stayed healthy, the outcome might have been far different. Yeah, yeah, yeah, ifs and buts, Texas still won the game, but the Sooners have gotten better and better on both sides of the ball as the season has gone on, highlighted by the obliteration of then No. 2 Texas Tech. While Texas wins the head-to-head debate with OU, the three-way tie aspect of things can't be ignored. Meanwhile, the Florida loss to Ole Miss, which at the time seemed like the end of the world, appears to be far more acceptable in hindsight. After all, Ole Miss turned out to be the SEC's fourth best team. Like OU, Florida got much, much better as the season has gone on.

4. The schedules.
Florida had a layup against Citadel on the schedule and Oklahoma blew away Chattanooga, but there's no dogging the schedules. If you're just looking at the FBS slates, Oklahoma finished with the nation's toughest schedule with non-conference wins over TCU and Big East champion Cincinnati by a combined score of 87-36. The Sooners played the three toughest teams from the North (Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri) and blew away Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. Florida finished with the nation's fourth toughest schedule having beaten the No. 1 team in America, Alabama, along with a good Florida State team, Miami, and Georgia. The Gators faced 10 bowl teams, along with Tennessee and Arkansas, while Oklahoma played eight teams going to the post-season.

3. Pure statistics.
For those of you who believe that numbers mean everything, these two really are the best all-around teams in America. Oklahoma is No. 1 in the nation in turnover margin, Florida is No. 2. Oklahoma is first in the nation in scoring, first in the nation in pass efficiency, third in sacks, third in total offense, fourth in sacks allowed, and finished first in the Big 12 in pass efficiency defense. Florida finished second in the nation in pass efficiency defense, ninth in total defense fifth in scoring defense, fifth in passing efficiency and has the best special teams in the nation. The weaknesses? Oklahoma can't cover kicks and Florida commits a ton of penalties ... whoopee.

2. Record-setting offenses.
Defense wins championships, and these two can play D, but the offenses are what has everyone buzzing. When you're setting offensive records at Florida and Oklahoma, you're doing something right. This Gator attack scored 587 points and has a near-perfect balance averaging 230 yards on the ground and 213 yards through the air. Oklahoma's numbers a twisted, scoring 702 points, averaging 54 per game, while cranking out 562 yards per game. Even the Barry Switzer juggernauts never put up numbers like these. The ground game is fantastic, averaging 206 yards per game, while the passing attack is third in the nation averaging 357 yards per outing.

1. Florida and Oklahoma are the two hottest teams going.
Texas might be playing extremely well, but the loss to Texas Tech came on the first day of November. Utah might have the longest winning streak at 13 games, and Boise State has won 12 in a row, but the Utes struggled to get past a TCU team that Oklahoma blew away, and it beat New Mexico 13-10 on November 1st. Boise State has blown away everyone in the WAC, but its one win of note came at Oregon with a 37-32 victory. That was nice, but it's not quite like beating Alabama by 11 or Texas Tech by 44. OU has gone over the 60 point mark in its last five games and is doing it with ease. It's not like this is being done against the dregs; the Sooners put up 62 on Nebraska, 66 on a bad Texas A&M, 65 on Texas Tech, 61 on Oklahoma State, and 62 against Missouri. Outside of the Ole Miss loss and except for Alabama, no one has come close to touching Florida. All 12 of the Gator wins are by 12 or more points highlighted by the dominant run after the loss to the Rebels. During the nine game post-Rebel stretch, the Gators beat seven bowl bound teams, along with Arkansas and Citadel, but a combined score of 445 to 79, or an average of 49.4 to 8.8 per game. In other words, the BCS might really have gotten it right by taking the two best teams right now.

The BCS Got It Wrong Because ...
5. The Ole Miss loss was at home
The point of the whole BCS exercise is to look at the entire season and the entire landscape of what happened. A loss at the beginning of the year is supposed to count as much as a loss at the end. While the humans in the equation always skew towards the hottest teams, the computers are supposed to be more objective, and while they weren't, the fact that Florida lost at home to Ole Miss shouldn't be ignored. Would USC have beaten Oregon State in Los Angeles? Penn State almost certainly would've beaten Iowa in Happy Valley, and Texas probably would've gotten by Texas Tech in Austin. Florida came up with nice wins against Florida State, Alabama and Georgia away from The Swamp, but the fact that the team gacked in a key home battle should've counted for something.

4. Utah is unbeaten
If you're not going to include the "little guys," then what's the point of having them in the FBS? Not including Boise State in the national title mix is one thing because of the WAC schedule and the one decent win this year was against an Oregon team that was in utter disarray at the time, but not even thinking about Utah is a whole other problem. The Utes have the nation's longest winning streak with a good win over Oregon State and wins over highly-respected TCU and BYU teams. It's not Utah's fault that Michigan stunk it up after the season-opening win in Ann Arbor. The Utah offense is 15th in the nation in scoring, the scoring defense is 12th in the nation, and considering the Mountain West might really be better than the Pac 10 and the Big East this year, finishing sixth shows just how far the have-nots have to go before they equal the haves.

3. USC
The USC defense is having an even better year than the record-setting Oklahoma offense, but great D isn't as sexy as a high-octane O. The Trojans aren't just leading the nation in defense; it's not even remotely close. USC is No. 1 in total D allowing 207 yards per game. TCU is second allowing 216, and Alabama is third allowing 257 yards per game. Alabama, Alabama is allowing 50 more yards per game than USC. USC allowed 7.8 points per game. TCU gave up 10.9, and everyone else allowed 12 or more. So teams must have bombed away to try to get back into games; USC had to have given up a ton of garbage passing yards, right? USC leads the nation in pass defense allowing just 123 yards per game, 38 fewer than New Mexico's No. 2 pass defense. The Trojans gave up four passing touchdowns all year long, and everyone else gave up eight or more except for ...

2. Penn State
The Nittany Lions allowed just six touchdown passes on the year. Championship teams come up with wins in the clutch, but Iowa's last-second loss to Iowa was almost (note the word almost) equal to Texas losing to Texas Tech in the final seconds. Along the way, Penn State blew away everyone else except for Ohio State. Arguably, considering the Buckeyes improved over the second half of the year with a healthy Beanie Wells and an improved Terrelle Pryor, beating Ohio State at Ohio State in late October was as impressive a win as anything Oklahoma came up with and is better than anything Florida did outside of the win over Alabama. Talk about your complete teams, Penn State led the Big Ten in total offense, total defense, scoring offense, scoring defense, run defense, passing efficiency, kickoff returns, and sacks allowed.

1. 45-35
The Texas debate is so last week, but ask 2004 Auburn fans or 2003 USC fans about how hard it is to just let it go. The Oklahoma win over Missouri in the Big 12 title game doesn't change anything; Texas blew out Mizzou, too. Had Texas gotten just a few more votes over Oklahoma last week, it would've been off playing for the national title instead of Oklahoma. The results were basically a flip of the coin. The Longhorns might have lost to Texas Tech, but the final three games were all blowouts, and in all, only Oklahoma State came closer than ten points in any of the wins. Of course, until the end of time, 45-35 will always mean something in the world of college football as Texas fans will always use the final score in the win over Oklahoma to discredit anything that happened in the national title ... and rightly so. If Oklahoma wins, then Texas will have said it could've beaten the Gators, too. If OU loses, then Texas will claim the Big 12 took the wrong team in the first place and that the matter still hasn't been settled. However, now the onus is on Texas to not just win the Fiesta Bowl, but to win impressively. A loss, or even a close victory, and there won't be much of a leg to stand on
[/SIZE]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif].
[/FONT]

Fuck the coaches, especially Leach.

How they voted in the coaches poll

from Bevo Beat
Texas coach Mack Brown kept his Longhorns in second place in the last vote of the regular season for USA Today.
Brown’s ballot — 1. Florida; 2. Texas; 3. Oklahoma; 4. Alabama; 5. Penn State.
The Longhorns received four first-place votes. They were from North Texas’ Todd Dodge, Iowa State’s Gene Chizik, UCLA’s Rick Neuheisel and Texas-El Paso’s Mike Price.
Dodge played for the Longhorns and Chizik was UT’s defensive coordinator from 2005-06.
Texas was no lower than fifth on anyone’s ballot.
And here’s who voted Texas fifth — Texas Tech’s Mike Leach, Baylor’s Art Briles, Rutger’s Greg Schiano and Michigan State’s Mark Dantonio.
Leach and Briles each voted the Sooners No. 1.
The Longhorns were second on 15 ballots, including those cast by Dick Tomey, Mike Bellotti, Turner Gill, Dan Hawkins, Gary Pinkel and Jim Tressel.
Tressel’s Ohio State Buckeyes will be UT’s next opponent in the Fiesta Bowl. Check out how everyone voted

Look at Urban Meyer game the system on this one:

How The Coaches Voted

from Burnt Orange Nation by 40AS
Check it out here. Some interesting votes were:
Art Briles -- OU 1, Texas 5
Gene Chizik -- Texas 1, OU 2
Mack Brown -- Florida 1, Texas 2, OU 3
Mark Dantonio -- OU 1, Texas 5
Mike Leach -- OU 1, Texas 5
Howard Schnellenberger -- OU 2, Texas 4
Urban Meyer -- Texas 4, Florida 1
Also interesting were Rick Neuheisel and Mike Price (along with Todd Dodge and Gene Chizik) were the only coaches to put Texas #1, and the fact that Tommy Bowden still has a vote in the Coaches Poll despite no longer being a coach.

Orakpo wins Nagurski

from Bevo Beat
Defensive end Brian Orakpo won the Nagurski trophy Sunday night. The award is presented to the top defensive player in the country.
The Longhorn fifth-year senior is the second Texas defender to win the award. Linebacker Derrick Johnson earned the trophy in 2004.
It’s been a good weekend for Orakpo. He graduated Saturday.

Bad system foils fans

Texas latest but not the last victim.

Monday, December 08, 2008 Year 11 of college football held hostage.
Don't look for Year 12 to be any different. Or Year 13 or ...
In fact, someone should tie a yellow ribbon around Myles Brand until our nation's proud, young men are returned to an actual football field and order is restored to this grand game.
Yes, we're talking a playoff, which will happen about the time the NHL's Sean Avery becomes an etiquette columnist.
We're stuck with what we've got, and a 16-team playoff and the present format are like apples and oranges. Burnt oranges, in this case.
Texas is just the latest but hardly the last victim of the Bowl Championship Sham, losing out to the Sooners in a Big 12 tie-breaker a week ago and falling 18 thousandths of a percentage point behind the Gators to finish third in the final standings on Sunday.
The Longhorns deserve to be in the national title game every bit as much as actual participants Oklahoma and Florida. Something's wrong with a flawed system in which coaches give Texas — a winner over OU on the field — only four first-place votes. And two of those coaches have Longhorn connections: former defensive coordinator Gene Chizik and former quarterback Todd Dodge. (The others were Texas-El Paso's Mike Price and UCLA's Rick Neuheisel.)
In addition, Texas' Mack Brown ranked Texas Tech a lowly eighth with his vote. Uh, Mack, they beat you. At least, Tech's Mike Leach ranked the Longhorns fifth on his ballot as did Baylor's Art Briles. But then, Mack's always had it in for pirates.
While there appears to be a sense of growing dissatisfaction among the elite coaches with the current model, neither Brown nor Ohio State coach Jim Tressel would admit to such in Sunday night's Fiesta Bowl conference call.
"I don't know if it can happen with a flip of the switch," Tressel said. "It's not a perfect system. I don't have the answer what the perfect system is."
Here's a tip, Jim. This ain't it. Start with that premise and work from there.
When I jokingly asked BCS coordinator John Swofford, who is also the ACC commissioner, when the 11 conference commissioners and Notre Dame's athletic director planned to meet with President-elect Obama to work out the details of a playoff, he chuckled. "Nothing scheduled at the moment," he said.
First 100 days, Mr. Prez, first 100 days. Right after the economy.
So in the meantime here's how the good BCS folks can tweak the system if they won't shelve it.
• Have a small group of august coaches like Brown, Pete Carroll and Joe Paterno lobby college presidents for meaningful change. I mean, go into those ivory towers, demand to see the most powerful presidents and lie down on the carpet and kick and scream until these administrators do what's right.
• Break the upcoming ESPN television contract. No other contract is sacred, why should that one be? Swofford said the $125 million ESPN agreement that runs through 2014 "could be adjusted during the course of the contract." I can't imagine ESPN's heart being broken if the cable network were asked if it minded having a 16-team playoff substitute for the current model.
• Replace the current USA Today coaches' poll with a ranking system by retired coaches who don't have as obvious conflicts of interests — including sizable bonuses and grudges against schools or peers — as the active coaches do. Six of the 17-coach panel of the Legends Poll voted Texas No. 1 or 2 on their ballot Sunday.
However, the fact that Tressel voted Texas No. 2 behind OU on his ballot does allow for some juicy incentive for the Longhorns. The Buckeyes boss explained it away, saying the Longhorns "belong up near the top (and) I didn't want to veer off the way I was thinking the past few weeks." Translation: Tressel thinks OU's better.
• Publish all the ballots of whatever human polls factor into the BCS every week to add some transparency.
• Junk the existing selection process so the BCS, which matches up only No. 1 vs. No. 2, could allow for a No. 3 vs. No. 4, namely Texas against Alabama or Southern Cal. Ohio State ranks just 10th in the BCS standings. We're not saying they had to fumigate the buildings where the Buckeyes played in the national championship the last two years, but The University played The Worst it could play with a couple of stinkers against LSU and Florida.
• Force the six conference champions with automatic BCS berths to be ranked in the top 12 of the BCS standings or be replaced in the bowls with higher-ranked runner-up teams or teams from non-BCS leagues. It's all about getting the best teams on the field.
• Allow as many teams from a league as are worthy — say, like adding wrongly bypassed Texas Tech — to play in the BCS, but distribute the money equally among all conferences, not just the six with automatic bids.
These are just for starters. Ideas, we've got a million of 'em.
For one, bail on that God-awful BCS selection show, which did the impossible and actually made college football seem boring.

Tv Tan Line College Football Saturday in Review

from Tv Tan Line by
* There are still good seats available for the ACC Championship game. If I recall correctly they had the same problem last year. They should really consider playing that game in smaller venues. I feel embarrassed for them.
* Based on his post game interview he isn't ready for prime time, but some of the better jobs should take a look at the Buffalo coach. It wasn't that long ago Buffalo was a punchline in the NCAA.
* I loved seeing the Sooner Schooner lose it's hitch. It seems fitting in the way they backed into the B12 championship.
* Is Tim Tebow's sister suffering from cramps today? Seriously, when they cut to her in the crowd all she could do was hold her uterus. Many Midols to her and hopefully a happy tomorrow.
* While watching the WVU game tonight I realized I didn't see any great snow games this year. Yeah the WVU game had some snow, but I wanted some 3 inch deep football action somewhere. Damn you Al Gore and your global warming.
* You know, I think I could do without the announcers for most games. Just give me the telecast and crowd noise.
* Related to above, I think it is funny when Al Micheals says "Down (insert city/state) way". e.g. "Down Austin way..."
* I could see the OU team in camouflage like Army sported today. It is the Versace of white trash after all.
* Sam Bradford still looks like a caveman.
* I have heard all week that Stoops has not been running it up. I call "bullshit!" after tonight. Any one that saw how he behaved on the sidelines when 60+ was in reach cannot disagree. Stay classy Norman..of course the OU mascot is a thief so moot point I suppose.
* USC/UCLA both in colors was cool. I suppose it is an officiating deal that both cant wear colors, but still, it looks good on tv.
* AZ vs. AZ St is a top 10 matchup ... Top 10 hottie universities that is ... high-five
* There is a game being played in Hawaii as a I type this.. I just dont have the stamina to watch.

If BAMA cant roll tide tonight maybe they can roll something else with these

c/o sec poon

:36_11_6: Great article. :36_11_6:

Buckeyes to the Fiesta: No Party Included

from Buckeye Commentary by Massey
Oh, [insert expletive]! Someone, please, talk me off the ledge. This is not the game I wanted to see and maybe that is what led me to predict a Sugar Bowl matchup with Alabama a while ago. I gave them a punchers' chance against the Tide. Texas, uh, not so much.

Phoenix used to be the best possible location for Ohio State in January. And, then Urban Meyer and Roy Hall had to screw it up. Now, the negative mojo in the dessert is palpable and Ohio State will have to play its best game since 2006 to have a chance.

Let me get this straight. Ohio State has to travel across the country to play the team that beat Oklahoma by double digits? And, now they are angry? For some reason, I have archival footage of World War II fighter planes repeatedly crashing into the ocean running through my head. Not good.

I know it is fashionable to say that Texas "has not seen a secondary/pass defense like Ohio State's," but if you watched any college football this season you know the Buckeyes have not slowed down any meaningful offense. The top 3 passing offenses that Ohio State faced this season: Illinois, Troy, and Purdue, in that order. The fourth best passing team, statisticlly speaking, carved them up to the tune of 4 touchdowns and threw a 35-yard wheel route to the fullback!

I will preview this game more fully in the future, but for now I need to get a good night’s sleep and see if I can wake up with a new perspective.

For now, I will await your optimistic words of solace.

5 reasons the Gators will win ... and 5 reasons they won't win it all

Orlando Sentinel posted by Tim Stephens on Dec 7, 2008 8:25:51 PM

The matchup is set, and with all apologies to those who claim otherwise, the BCS got it right. Florida vs. Oklahoma for the national title matches the two most dynamic, dominant teams in college football for 2008. Here are five reasons why the Florida Gators will win it all on Jan. 8. And five reasons why they won’t.

The Gators win because:
1. Tim Tebow won’t let them lose.
The Gators’ gutsy quarterback has been on a mission since that September loss to Ole Miss. In crunch time, he’ll drive Florida to a victory just like he did over Alabama in the SEC Championship Game.

2. Percy Harvin will be healthy.
Oklahoma has plenty of dangerous weapons but none quite like the Gators’ multi-talented star. His ankle should be well by gametime and he’ll make a difference catching and running.

3. They play defense in the SEC.
Florida’s SEC-leading defense won’t be one of those matador units Oklahoma is used to seeing in the Big 12, where defense is something to waste time until you get the ball back.

4. Urban Meyer is a better big-game coach than Bob Stoops.
Meyer has won two BCS bowls, including a national title romp. Stoops has lost four BCS bowls in a row.

5. The game’s in Florida.
Oklahoma will get its share of tickets but this will feel like a game in the Swamp for the Gators.

The Gators will lose because:
1. Sam Bradford is the best quarterback in America this season.
The Sooners sophomore is pinpoint-accurate and has a convoy of great receivers. UF hasn’t seen offensive skill players this dangerous except maybe in practice.

2. OU has the best offensive line in America.
Alabama gashed some gaping holes in Florida’s thin defensive front in the SEC title game. Oklahoma is better. The Sooners combine Alabama’s power with Florida-like athleticism.

3. They play offense in the Big 12.
Don’t talk about the Big 12’s lack of defense. SEC defensive stats are skewed because SEC offenses are horrible. UF can’t keep pace.

4. The SEC is overrated this year, anyway.
Florida was so dominant because the SEC is uncharacteristically weak. Oklahoma emerged from a Big 12 South that was arguably the strongest division in history.

5. It’s someone else’s turn.
The SEC has won the past two national championships. No conference has produced three consecutive national champs since the 1940s.

Official Big Ten Bowl Selections

from Zombie Nation by Mike 2
The Big Ten will send seven teams to the college football post season, with the marquee game in Pasadena between Penn State and Southern Cal. You could say it's important for the conference as a whole to have a strong showing, especially since every opponent will be from a BCS conference. But you could also argue that if Penn State loses to USC, no one in the main stream media will care what the rest of the Big Ten does. Here's a quick rundown of all the Big Ten bowl games:

Rose: Penn State vs. USC - "The Grand Daddy Of Them All" could earn its weight in TV ratings this New Years Day, especially if Penn State pulls the upset. Would it really be an upset? Anyone who watched Penn State closely this year will tell you, not really. USC is a bit overrated, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if the Trojans win another Rose Bowl. This could be the best bowl game of the season, outside of the national championship game.

Mark May opened his fat mouth again, saying he doesn't think it will be close. Lou Holtz is a Penn State (or at least, a geriatric for JoePa) homer and said Penn State should win. I don't think I've disliked an "analyst" as much as I do Mark May.

Fiesta : Ohio State vs. Texas - How great is this game? I love it. Texas is a monster, who I feel should have played for the national championship. Ohio State should come out ready, particularly since this isn't a national championship game against the SEC. I don't think the Buckeyes will win this game, but you have to remember just how good this Texas team is. The Longhorns could be the best team ever, not to play for the title.

Capital One: Michigan State vs. Georgia - Georgia will be out for blood, after coming into the season as the anointed national champion, only to lose three games. The Bulldogs are probably one of the most overrated teams in recent history. Michigan State couldn't be happier, emerging as a late contender for the Big Ten title after years of mediocrity. This game will probably come down to

Outback: Iowa vs. South Carolina - This won't be as good a game as ESPN would like it to be. South Carolina is not a very good team, in a vastly overrated conference this year. Did you think that should a game come down to quarterbacks, Iowa would have the edge over anyone? Well, the Hawkeyes have a much better offense, led by Shonn Greene, and a much better defensive front than the Gamecocks. It could get ugly in Tampa.

Alamo: Northwestern vs. Missouri - Missou doesn't deserve to be this low in the bowl pecking order, a victim of the best conference in college football this year. Northwestern had a great run this year, and deserved a good bowl game against a good opponent. The Tigers could prove to be too much for the Wildcats, but there's always hope.

Champs Sports: Wisconsin vs. Florida State - Two brand-name teams in an off-brand bowl game. I'll watch this bowl, just because I enjoy big-name teams facing off in the post season. I don't expect it to be good football, though. The Badgers might get caught in the "if only" mentality, after falling from their lofty preseason hype.

Insight: Minnesota vs. Kansas - The Golden Gophers are headed to a bowl game, but it probably feels like the national championship after going 1-11 last year. This year wasn't just a turnaround, it was a complete re-direction of the program, and could end with an exclamation point with a win over the Jayhawks.

*Ed- Every few days, I'll post a preview of all the Big Ten bowl games, in chronological order. Then I'll tackle the non-Big Ten BCS bowls. Also this week, I'll post the normal stuff, like my Top 25 tomorrow.

Bevo's Daily Roundup 12.08.08

from Burnt Orange Nation by dimecoverage

The Fiesta Bowl

We are heading to Phoenix, well actually Glendale. It is the Fiesta Bowl and Ohio State Buckeyes. FoxSports' Pete Flutak gives you his quick breakdown of the game as he goes through all the BCS bowl match-ups.
Ohio State knows the Fiesta Bowl pretty well. This is their fourth trip to Phoenix (or Glendale) since 2003.
It seems the Buckeyes and Longhorns have something in common. We both got jilted.

More stuff

Mack Brown voted Texas #2 in the coaches poll last week. Why?
Although it would’ve helped his team’s standing in the BCS, Brown said he didn’t think Texas deserved to be ranked ahead of Alabama.
"I was concerned that maybe I had cheated our team," Brown said, "but, very honestly, I thought you go through the SEC undefeated and No. 1 Alabama, in my estimation, should stay No. 1."
The Dallas Morning News picks Colt McCoy as their Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year.
The Oklahoman asks if Colt McCoy will get the sympathy vote for Heisman. This is the same reporter from the same rag that caused Mike Gundy's infamous rant.
Brian Orakpo was named the Bronko Nagurski Trophy winner as the nation's top defensive player. He has also received his UT diploma in Youth and Community Studies major.
A great piece on the New York Times web site about UT by our very own Peter Bean.

Football

The Big 12 coaches are not in favor of a title game. But as long as the game provides money to athletic departments, it is probably here to stay.
Football is definitely not a game for the weak. Graham Harrell was injured in the second quarter of the Baylor game and continued to play with nine breaks in his hand.
Austin American's Statesman's Randy Riggs asked Texas A&M players Trent Hunter and Alton Dixon their thoughts on the best team in the South division. Both agreed on the answer: The Sooners.
Hunter based his decision on OU’s superior rushing attack. Dixon’s opinion was a little more personal.
"I don’t like them," he said, referring to the Longhorns. "I’m not going to say anything else."
Aggie tailback Mike Goodson will probably not return for his senior season.
Kansas State's Bill Snyder faces a tough battle ahead in a very competitive conference.
The Big 12 is a different animal than the Big Eight he entered in 1989, or even the Big 12 he left in 2005. Missouri is an annual contender for the conference championship game. Nebraska is on the rise. Kansas went to the Orange Bowl last season. Kansas State will have to play three South Division opponents each year. The South has established itself as equal to the SEC East with four teams currently ranked in the top 11.
Sure, he is used to playing those teams, but that was when Kansas State was a power. Now it is trying to lift itself up. Again. As great a coach as he is, Snyder had a great staff that went on to great careers. At his age, can he assemble the 2008 equivalent of his coaching tree -- Bob Stoops, Mike Stoops, Mark Mangino and Jim Leavitt?
Nebraska's Bo Pelini got some very high praise this season.
"Sometimes the greatest coaching jobs in the world are done by people who have a losing record. You just have to go with what you've got. I don't know that you can evaluate on the won-loss record, although it was very good. I was pleased with it. They did a great job turning around some things that needed to be turned around."
Osborne's opinion matters, and not just because he's Pelini's boss.
Osborne, 71, remains the face of the Huskers' glory years, having been an assistant under Bob Devaney and then head coach from 1973 to 1997. As head coach, he never won fewer than nine games a season. He won 255 in all and national titles in 1994, '95 and '97.
The Big 12 Bowl line-up.

Those damn Sooners

I'm sure you already know this, but it is Florida vs. Oklahoma for the national championship. The Sooners had a chip on their shoulder. They seem tired of everyone bringing up the whole Texas issue.
"We wanted to prove a point," said OU quarterback Sam Bradford.
OU demolished Missouri in the Big 12 championship game. Missouri coach Gary Pinkel was a litle more than impressed with quarterback Sam Bradford.
"The guy's playing probably as good as anybody I've seen play," said Pinkel, who called Bradford's 48-6 TD-INT ratio "borderline staggering."
Sam Bradford is the leading candidate for the Heisman trophy.
A dramatic statement from The Oklahoman. They believe the Sooner offense is one for the ages.
On the way, the Sooners reached historic heights, becoming the first team in college football's modern era to break the 700-point barrier and score at least 60 points in five consecutive games.
Who really knows if this is the greatest offense since Walter Camp introduced line of scrimmage and down and distance to football in the 1870s.
But good luck finding one better.
In the last 130 years of college football, only two schools, 1886 Harvard and 1904 Minnesota, have totaled more than 700 points in a season.
CBSSports' Dennis Dodd says the OU-Florida match-up example of how the two best conferences made it to the top.

The supercilious Stoops. Your Monday just would not be the same without Bob.

Bob Stoops takes the high road again. OU's coach bristled at the suggestion he is creating a dynasty at Oklahoma.
"I don't like any of that stuff," Stoops fired back. "You won't get a comment from me about any of that. It wouldn't be right."
The BCS made him do it. Don't blame Bob Stoops for the huge score in the Missouri game. The fault belongs to the BCS.
Bob gives the BCS what it wants. He felt the need to make a statement.
Stoops defended the decision to aggressively shoot for 60 in his postgame comments, suggesting that the BCS system demands style points.
"After all that’s been said about us, we’re  in a championship game and we’re going to play till the end," Stoops said. "That’s a pretty convincing win in a championship game, when we had to have it. That makes a pretty big statement, if [voters] want it to."
Bob has principles. Stoops gave up his vote in the coach's poll.
"You know, I'm not going to speak about it ... I had my reasons,'' he said.
''Do I wish I'd had it back? I don't know. I felt I didn't do it for certain principles, so I've got to stick by that and trust my gut that that's the right thing to do.''

'Round The Blogs

Barking Carnival's srr50 discusses Mike Leach's wish to the leave the thriving metropolis of Lubbock, but no one will give him a pass to get out. CloseToJumping's Turd Soup for the Sunshine Pumping Soul has what could be called the winter of discontent.
Rock M Nation has a rant on the Big 12 tie-breaker. I wonder how they feel about Oklahoma today?
Bring On The Cats TB defends his post about the Big 12 commissioner not caving to pressure from a certain school.
I Am The 12th Man's Beergut discusses a permanent home for the Big 12 title game.
Fair warning. The Crimson and Cream Machine will not allow any flaming from whiney, boneheaded Texas fans. Maybe we'll make him feel better if everyone goes on over and thanks him for his letter of apology? Gosh, we would just hate to upset a Sooner.

BCS- Beyond Common Sense

FoxSports' Pete Flutak looks at five reasons that the BCS got it right and five reasons why the BCS got it wrong.
Dennis Dodds has a way to fix the BCS. His answer? Two national champions.
More BCS Realpolitik from Dr. Saturday.

The Coaching Carousel

It seems Dennis Franchione has surfaced again. He may be a candidate for the coaching vacancy at San Diego State University.

Following the gravy train of college sport... money.
Mike Leach was offered a contract extension from Tech, a five-year deal worth a total of $12.1 million. This may take away some of the pain of living in Lubbock. The Wiz of Odds has some more on the pirate soap opera going on in The Hub.
Mike Gundy can buy a lifetime supply of that oily substance he uses in his hair. He just got a a seven-year, $15.7 million deal.
The Wall Street Journal discusses the rise of southern football and what it means in terms of a growing economy and a population boom. They also look at coaching salaries and who actually foots the bill.

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Joanna Krupa continues to astound and amaze

Note to self: Subscribe to the Leg Avenue Lingerie catalog. Sorry, had to take care of some business there... Now then, I want all of you who voted against Joanna Krupa in the first round of our 2008 Sexiest Woman in the World contest this past year to get a frying pan or a baseball bat or some other blunt object and hit yourself over your head. Then come back and look at these pics for the reason why...

Now what do you have to say in your defense? OVERRULED!!

Bama vs. Florida recap:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KebWfNecMzg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KebWfNecMzg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Please, God. Give us this after fucking us.

Also, McCoy wins but VY doesn't? WTF?

McCoy moves to top of final Heisman poll

from Bevo Beat
Texas quarterback Colt McCoy’s Heisman stock is peaking at the right time. He moved to the head of the pack today in the final poll of 10 Heisman Trophy voters surveyed each week by the Rocky Mountain News.
The poll has correctly predicted the Heisman winner in 18 of the previous 21 years.
McCoy had been second a week ago, but he leaped Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford in this week’s poll — the final poll before ballots are due this week. The Heisman will be awarded Saturday night.
McCoy was listed atop five of the 10 ballots this week. Bradford received three first-place votes, Florida’s Tim Tebow received the other two. The overall point totals are razor-thin, with McCoy at 42 points, Bradford at 41 and Tebow at 34, setting up one of the tightest Heisman votes in a while.
A week ago, McCoy received only two first-place votes to Bradford’s seven.
A Longhorn leapfrogging a Sooner? Hm, that’s pretty unusual this season.

Our Coach Can Eat Your Coach Shirt Entrepreneur On Kansas AD Lew Perkins : “He’s An Asshole”

Published by J Koot at 6:48 am under Some other School

Visited 308 times, 308 so far today
[Credit]​
Who woud have ever guessed that a shirt playing off the fact that Mark Mangino is fat and likes to eat could turn grown men into sworn enemies.
That is exactly what’s going down in Lawrence, Kansas where the maker of the “Our coach can eat your coach” shirt is embroiled in a copyright infringement controversy with the University of Kansas over that tee and others.
The Daily Kansan caught up with Larry Sinks and gave him the chance to set the record straight about KU AD Lew Perkins and the financial judgments against him.
“I hate the guy,” Sinks says. “He’s the only guy in the world that I hate. I don’t care what happens to that man, ever.”
The school contends Sinks is infringing on their licensing rights and has the guy and his company joe-college.com on the hook for $127,000.
But Sinks isn’t the only guy cashing in on Mangino being a huge fat ass who can chow.
Smack Apparel has the above option available for $17.99 with a disclaimer.
The Mangino shirt has spawned all sorts of competitors and must keep KU busy.
Even CafePress is in on the business.
We let Sinks have the final message via the Kansan on Perkins and the shirt saga.
“He’s an asshole,” Sinks says. “I wouldn’t wish what he’s done to me on anybody.”

Headlinin': Early money likes the Gators (barely)

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-53623363-1228748082.jpg
When all the money goes one way ... Florida opened as a 1.5-point favorite over Oklahoma in the earliest lines Sunday night, and has already been bid up to a three-point favorite in the mythical championship game -- just as well for Bob Stoops, who doesn't need the pressure after losing the last three bowl games OU was favored to win. The smarter bet might be on the over: The line is at just 72 now, down from 73 at opening, for teams that combine to average just shy of 100. The other games aren't as enticing: USC (-10 over Penn State) and Alabama (-11 over Utah) are double-digit favorites, and Texas (-8 over Ohio State) will probably get there within a few days (it already has on some offshore books). Gambling guru The Wizard of Odds is not happy with this slate, though I suspect everyone is underrating Penn State, a frequent blowout winner, and possibly Utah, too -- the Utes beat three teams in most year-end top 25 polls and definitely are no Hawaii. And look on the bright side: Cincinnati-Virginia Tech is a pick 'em.
Skippy, my boy, where are we going here? It was a schizophrenic Sunday for the Skip Holtz Watch in Syracuse, with the NFL Network claiming late Saturday that Holtz is in, Holtz denying that report through several television stations in North Carolina, Lou Holtz confirming that his son will meet with Syracuse AD Daryl Gross today at National Football Foundation Hall of Fame proceedings, Skip eventually indicating he would "like the opportunity to talk to Gross," Syracuse contacting Kevin Gilbride in the meantime and 'Cuse media wondering if anyone actually wants this job.
So to be clear: Skip Holtz is not the new coach at Syracuse. But it still seems he probably will be, if premature reports don't scare him away.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-776925350-1228747513.jpg
You're a cold one, Mr. Groh. Christmas at the Groh house should be interesting this year, just a few weeks after Virginia boss Al Groh fired his son, Matt Groh, along with two other assistant coaches. You might remember Matt from his star turn in one of the great games of the nineties, UVA's Thursday night upset over Florida State in 1995. Cav fans are more likely to remember him for leading an offense that failed to finish in the top 100 in any of his three years as coordinator.
It's hard to criticize Groh when so many other coaches -- Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, Steve Spurrier, even Lou Holtz, when now-sought-after Skip was his offensive coordinator at South Carolina -- promoted and held on to their kids far longer than their performance warranted. If nepotism is the real problem in college coaching ranks, count Al Groh as a progressive reformist.
Quickly ... Steve Sarkisian will call his own plays at Washington, and make about $1.85 million, more than Dennis Erickson, Rick Neusheisel, Mike Riley, Mike Stoops or Jim Harbaugh. ... Florida offensive coordinator Dan Mullen has spoken with Mississippi State about the MSU opening, and New Mexico has contacted Gator defensive line coach Dan McCarney, late of a head job at Iowa State. ... The outcome of the mythical championship game will have no bearing on Tim Tebow's decision to stay or go from Florida. ... Sam Bradford made it through surgery on his non-throwing hand Sunday morning and was back at Oklahoma's BCS party Sunday night. ... Miami assistant Stephen Field pulls a man from a smoking car, says it's nothing. ... Utah named inside linebackers coach Kalani Sitake its new defensive coordinator. ... Bill Stewart is very pleased, but not satisfied (?) with his first year at West Virginia. ... Tom Osborne says Bo Pelini's first season was fine, just fine. ... Brian Orakpo won the Nagurski Award, which is like that one trophy, but for defense. ... And the Austin American-Statesman knows how you voted, Mike Leach.

Back