Breeders' Cup 2014 @ Santa Anita 10/31-11/1

Hard to get past Goldencents being a single on my pick 4 ticket. The good news is opens the other four races up a little.

Juvy Turf - The Euros appear to have a clear edge in class and performance figs, with only Startup Nation being worth a look of the North American horses. I'm just using four, as Faithful Creek draws in but looks a cut below the others: 1,4,5,7

Dirt Mile - It's Goldencents race to lose, and with only 9 in the field, being the speed of the speed and drawing the shortest trip along the rail, he's as close to a sure thing as there is this year. Will use Tapiture on saver Pick 3 ticket.

Juvenile Fillies - The is probably the most wide open race today as North American fillies Sunset Glow, Conquest Harlanate, Lady Eli and Isabella Sings do not look too far behind the Euros and unlike the boys, this race has a more favorable history for the NA's. Going 8 deep does not look unreasonable: 2,3,4,5,6,11,13,14.

Distaff - Nothing particularly clever here. Untapable has been the brightest and most consistent this year, with only a loss vs the boys in the Haskell as a blemish. Close Hatches was right alongside until that mysterious clunker at Keeneland, but she ran fine on this track last year and as the most accomplished in the group needs to be respected. Iotapa looks like a horse for the course, with a great record at Santa Anita and a performance there which would win this. And I can't ignore the efforts that Belle Gallantey has put in this year, she'll have no trouble with the distance and has had some past success on the west coast. I don't see a pace meltdown here, I'm not sure it's even possible on this track at this point. 3,4,10,11

50 cent P4 - 1,4,5,7 / 1 / 2,3,4,5,6,11,13,14 / 3,4,10,11 $64. Hope to catch a couple of prices around Goldencents to boost the payout.

$78.85 Bleh, not the risk/reward ratio I was looking for. I was ready to live with Goldencents but two more favorites just let the air out of the balloon.

Races 1 and 3 are off the turf, but skies are clearing and the track appears to be drying out nicely

Last edited:
Significant speed favoring conditions on both the main and the turf, which after 2 weeks with the rails out is running on new ground on the inside. 5 straight frontrunners have won.

Stonetastic is the speed of the speed in the F&M Sprint.

Fast Anna could be very dangerous at a price in the 10th.

Late Pick 4 - Time for some Euro's to show up on the turf

1,7 / 4,5,11,12,13 / 3,4,5 / 2,6,11,13 $60

Back