Breaking trade news - Shady

• Thread starter Thread starter Lareux
  • Start date Start date
L

Lareux

The Bills just traded Kiko Alonso to Philly for LeSean McCoy!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12415886/philadelphia-eagles-trade-lesean-mccoy-buffalo-bills

The Philadelphia Eagles have a trade in place to send running back LeSean McCoy to the Buffalo Bills, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. In return, the Bills will send linebacker Kiko Alonso to the Eagles, the source said.
Drafted in the second round of the 2009 draft out of Pittsburgh, McCoy has spent his entire six-season career in Philadelphia.
He rushed for 1,319 yards and five touchdowns last season for the Eagles.
Alonso missed all of the 2014-15 season with a torn ACL, but in his rookie season of 2013, he played every defensive snap and ranked third in the NFL with 159 tackles.
An Oregon product, Alonso will reunite with his former college coach, Chip Kelly, who will enter his third season in charge of the Eagles.
The trade cannot be made official until the new league year begins next Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like Spiller may end up in Philly as well. He's a FA, but Philly has coveted him for a while now.

Well Kiko had an epic rookie year, who knows how he will be after an ACL tear. Losing Jackson/Spiller we need a RB. I love this trade right now.

Birds also dropped my boy Trent Cole.

Cold in Philly right now.

Need a QB real bad.

LeSean probably has 1.5 elite years left. Not sure why chip isn't in won now mode

Who says he isn't though? If they replace Shady with Spiller, they should be all set. Spiller didn't fit here with the scheme they used to run the ball...Philly uses the zone blocking scheme that made Spiller a star when they were using it here in Buffalo with Chan Gailey.

And McCoy is only 26 years old, he should have a few more seasons at an elite level at least. Plus with Jackson here, he's not going to have to get 25+ carries a game.

to all you nfl gurus, who wins this trade at this point in time?

Tough to tell. If Philly needed a LB, which I'm assuming they did, then Kiko will do them just fine. The Bills needed to replace Spiller, and just did that with an All Pro RB. The Bills also have a surplus of LBs, which is why Kiko was expendable...and Mario Williams is supposed to be essentially playing a LB position in the 3-4 and rushing from the edge.

Apparently Kiko asked to be traded.

Well Kiko had an epic rookie year, who knows how he will be after an ACL tear. Losing Jackson/Spiller we need a RB. I love this trade right now.

Jackson isn't going anywhere though GLB. He's still here and under contract, and he's the heart and soul of the team.

Thanks for the edit Fondy....I didn't really have anything to post as I heard it on the local sports talk show literally as it came across Schefter's twitter. They weren't even sure if they should say it on the air because they hadn't necessarily verified it yet.

Thanks for the edit Fondy....I didn't really have anything to post as I heard it on the local sports talk show literally as it came across Schefter's twitter. They weren't even sure if they should say it on the air because they hadn't necessarily verified it yet.

Hope you didn't mind. Wanted to tweet the thread and like to have more in the first post.

Hope you didn't mind. Wanted to tweet the thread and like to have more in the first post.

No, not at all. I was sincere when I said thanks. Like I said, I heard it on the radio and posted a thread right away, from my phone, without having any other info to share.

:shake:

I thought Kelly wanted Mariota? If so, why wouldn't they trade McCoy for picks and try to sweeten the pot for the Bucs?

Bills replace Spiller with an All-Pro level RB without giving up anyone who actually played on last year's very solid D. Nice win for them.

Eagles add a potential long term piece but at a cost. Does Spiller-Alonso work better than McCoy-Cole? Hard to say but at first take I'd say no.

Eagles clearing cap space by the looks of it. Who are they chasing?
i thought this too....

As far as a trade win...who knows? Birds obv thought Shady was on the other side of the hill and Kiko(IF back from injury) can be on the right side of the hill...

was Shady due for a contract soon? Or he got one already?

Also....is this Chip and Shady not seeing eye to eye on Offensive scheme?

Lastly, where in the fuck is smoke?

i thought this too....

As far as a trade win...who knows? Birds obv thought Shady was on the other side of the hill and Kiko(IF back from injury) can be on the right side of the hill...

was Shady due for a contract soon? Or he got one already?

Also....is this Chip and Shady not seeing eye to eye on Offensive scheme?

Lastly, where in the fuck is smoke?

Shady is signed through 2017.

well well well the RB market got interesting then. Is AP still wanting out of Minny?

Tough to say really. Recently the news is that his agent and Minny are having discussions. According to what AP and his pops said last week, he was never going back there ever....and now they're talking, so who really knows.

From the talk in the NFL Draft bust thread I would have thought that trading a RB owed 12mill woiud be a good trade

From the talk in the NFL Draft bust thread I would have thought that trading a RB owed 12mill woiud be a good trade

It probably is a good trade for Philly. It could be the same for Buffalo, regardless of what Shady makes. There's a difference between having one of the handful of RBs who are 'studs,' then drafting one in the 1st round hoping they pan out. RBs have become a dime a dozen in recent years though, so maybe the trade ends up being a horrible mistake for Buffalo in the future....their front office's track record is quite horrible so it's certainly possible that it blows up in their faces.

this deal is a huge win for Philly though, Kiko could be a stud for the next decade

He could be, sure. The Bills defense was just as good w/o him last year though...although that doesn't mean they wouldn't have been even better with him...just pointing out that they didn't miss a beat without him.

He's also now had 2 major knee injuries, which has to be a concern (even if it's just a slight concern). That doesn't mean he can't be a force for 10 more years, but that may be asking for an awful lot out of a smaller LB with a history of knee injuries. I like Kiko though, as does pretty much everyone in Buffalo, so I certainly hope he succeeds in Philly.

He could be, sure. The Bills defense was just as good w/o him last year though...although that doesn't mean they wouldn't have been even better with him...just pointing out that they didn't miss a beat without him.

He's also now had 2 major knee injuries, which has to be a concern (even if it's just a slight concern). That doesn't mean he can't be a force for 10 more years, but that may be asking for an awful lot out of a smaller LB with a history of knee injuries. I like Kiko though, as does pretty much everyone in Buffalo, so I certainly hope he succeeds in Philly.

ya it doesnt need to be a loss for Buffalo to be a win for Philly

they dealt from a position of strength, to pick up a potential game breaker, they are better next year than last year because of it

just think in today's NFL, a top 10 MLB which I think Kiko could safely be, is more valuable than a top 10 RB

Can't say I was shocked chip got rid of shady....his contact is absurd for a RB nowadays and were obviously clearing cap space for something...should be close to 50$ million under now and will go even more under when Ryan's gets cut (no need for him now with Alonzo).

chip just doesn't care who the skill guys are...they're all interchangeable and a product of his offense so no sense in wasting money on them. (Related note: I'll be shocked if Maclin comes back).

also since chip got here McCoy averaged 4.7 ypc...all the other Eagles rbs averaged 4.8 ypc...

ya it doesnt need to be a loss for Buffalo to be a win for Philly

they dealt from a position of strength, to pick up a potential game breaker, they are better next year than last year because of it

just think in today's NFL, a top 10 MLB which I think Kiko could safely be, is more valuable than a top 10 RB

also doesn't hurt when the LB is due 750k and 950k and the RB is due 10.5 mil, 6.9 mil and 7.6 mil...û

Interesting read (and graph) on espn.com that I can't link to bc my iPad won't let me paste for some reason (just google running back production cliff and it's the first hit) about RB production falling off a cliff once they hit 27 - which shady is in July...and he came into the league young so he's got an extra year at least on him than most 27 year olds...just watching him last year he'd definietly lost half a step since 2013 and the dancing was driving chip insane

Also supposedly shady is pissed and wants an extension or he's not reporting...

This is certainly interesting. Seeing as how he's already being paid what he is (which, as you guys have pointed out is A LOT for a RB in today's NFL), and the fact that he's signed for 3 more seasons, what would he possibly be thinking demanding any sort of extension?

Interesting read (and graph) on espn.com that I can't link to bc my iPad won't let me paste for some reason (just google running back production cliff and it's the first hit) about RB production falling off a cliff once they hit 27 - which shady is in July...and he came into the league young so he's got an extra year at least on him than most 27 year olds...just watching him last year he'd definietly lost half a step since 2013 and the dancing was driving chip insane

:shake:

Most people still talk about 30 being the age for RBs to lose their mojo, but this is certainly interesting that the age may have shifted down to 27.

The graph you referred to is in this link I'm pretty sure...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/123542/inside-slant-running-back-cliff-after-age-27

Here's another interesting article on the topic...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/16/age-of-decline-rb1/

Yeah that's the link.

on the contract, according to jeff mc lane (Eagles beat guy for the inquirer) only $1 m of Shadys deal is guaranteed...would think he wants more guaranteed

Wonder why these guys want to be able to go pro at 18 instead of donating 3 years to an NCAA institution

Yeah that's the link.

on the contract, according to jeff mc lane (Eagles beat guy for the inquirer) only $1 m of Shadys deal is guaranteed...would think he wants more guaranteed

Sounds like the feeling was he would be released, and he said he would renegotiate his contract for a lower cap hit, but wouldn't eat any salary. He got $20MM guaranteed when he signed the deal, the last $1MM being paid this year, so that may not have been a sticking point. Now that the Bills have him and don't need to free up any cap space (they are still $22MM under the cap, even with his deal), there probably is no reason, on his part, to want to renegotiate since he was seemingly only willing to do that in order to not be possibly cut by the Eagles. Who knows though, once an agent gets in a player's ear, anything can happen.

Funny this article was written a few hours before McCoy was traded to the Bills...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/162778/lesean-mccoys-contract-is-no-problem

Shady not happy being sent to Buffalo but feeling is he will get more guaranteed money now and an extension of sorts and now he actually has the leverage. Aside from Buffalo being a shit hole, I think he would not mind this trade if BUF had a qb. So he figures to live in BUF a few months a year and now get pounded into the ground he better get paid.

Like what smoke said, Kelly just doesnt care much about offensive players. Its why Sanchez was somewhat successful, its just a system. It has translated to the NFL and even at Oregon a lot of his players on offense were not 5 star recruits. Get some 2 or 3 with speed that know a system and wala...

I like Phillys end of this deal better.

Freeing up cap space and getting a good defensive player if healthy.

Shady not happy being sent to Buffalo but feeling is he will get more guaranteed money now and an extension of sorts and now he actually has the leverage. Aside from Buffalo being a shit hole, I think he would not mind this trade if BUF had a qb. So he figures to live in BUF a few months a year and now get pounded into the ground he better get paid.

Like what smoke said, Kelly just doesnt care much about offensive players. Its why Sanchez was somewhat successful, its just a system. It has translated to the NFL and even at Oregon a lot of his players on offense were not 5 star recruits. Get some 2 or 3 with speed that know a system and wala...

Jeez, really Buffalo is a shit hole? Clearly you don't know much about the area. I'm not saying it's the best place to live, because it certainly isn't (where is though really?)....but most players for either the Bills or Sabres end up living here when their playing careers are over because they love the area so much. You can look for some interviews yourself with Sabres or Bills and see how much every single one of them raves about the area.

He also, most likely, won't get "pounded into the ground" either, since Fred Jackson figures to get his carries, and Bryce Brown may get some looks as well.

Who said Shady isn't happy about being sent to Buffalo anyway? As far as I know, he hasn't even made a public comment about the trade at all.

Jeez, really Buffalo is a shit hole? Clearly you don't know much about the area. I'm not saying it's the best place to live, because it certainly isn't (where is though really?)....but most players for either the Bills or Sabres end up living here when their playing careers are over because they love the area so much. You can look for some interviews yourself with Sabres or Bills and see how much every single one of them raves about the area.

He also, most likely, won't get "pounded into the ground" either, since Fred Jackson figures to get his carries, and Bryce Brown may get some looks as well.

Have family in NY...Buffalo is a shit hole like Crapchester. They admit as much about Buff...went to a Bills Raiders game years ago.....armpit.

Lyons Yellin of WWL-TV in Louisiana has "heard rumblings" the Eagles have interest in free agent Mark Ingram.

Whereas Shady McCoy was an at-times improvisational east-west back, Ingram is a north-south runner whose addition in Philadelphia would constitute a changing of the guard. There were rumblings late in the year that coach Chip Kelly was displeased with McCoy's tendency to freelance in his running game, which also led to Bryce Brown's ouster last offseason. A more assignment-sound runner than McCoy, Ingram's fantasy stock would skyrocket in Philly.

A source informed ESPN's Josina Anderson that LeSean McCoy is "frustrated" over being traded to the Bills and is "not going to make it easy, that's for sure."

"Of course he's not happy," added the source. "It'll be interesting to see how this process plays itself out because he's an interesting individual. ... He was like 'why me?'" Some are leaving the door open to McCoy possibly refusing to go to Buffalo, leading to the Bills possibly pulling out of the trade prior to it officially going through when the new league year opens March 10. But in all likelihood, the Bills will hand McCoy a new contract with more guaranteed money through 2015 and 2016 and let coach Rex Ryan work his magic as a coach with the ability to convince his players to "buy in." Ryan's the ultimate players coach.

Back