Breaking CLOSER News Thread for 2013

KowboyKarl

Live. Breathe. Blue.
I was thinking a thread like this could be very valuable for all of us fantasy baseball players here at CTG... I'm hoping we can all "pitch" in and help each other out.

Unfortunately, in the league's I'm in I usually find myself just missing out on a new closer free agent pickup. Occasionally I'll get news before anyone else and get the newly announced closer that's available, but, I usually find myself late to the party.

***** So, the goal here is for all of us to post any new info on closer situations: closer being replaced, closer going on DL and being replaced by _______, closer coming off DL and getting his job back, talks of ______ taking over for disappointing current closer, etc. *****

I don't know much about anything new at the moment, but, I'm going to do a little research on closer situations today.

Boston - Hanrahan has been activated from the DL, but, from what I'm seeing, Bailey will retain the closer job, at least for now.

This news sucks for me since I've got Hanrahan as my #1 closer on one of my squads. I tried picking up Bailey when Hanrahan got hurt, but, he was already gone.

not really. always a fluid situation.

and DeFaz doesnt need to trade rape me for Javy Guerra again. Thats the only reason he won our league last year.

Chicago (north side) - Similar situation to Boston with the Cubs... Gregg has been very successful, so, with Fujikawa coming back, he may not get his closer job back as was previously expected (until Gregg started his nice run with the 9th inning role). Strangely enough, the Cubs still have a short-term goal to get Carlos freaking Marmol back in the 9th inning role.

lol

i was joking.

not even a month into last season we made a completely irrelevant trade that some how stirred the pot and got one of the members irate. He thought it was one sided on defaz's side.

bud norris for javy guerra. guerra then proceeded to implode immediately after and lost his job. norris was pretty much unownable.

Arizona - According to reports, even though he blew his 4th save of this young season already, JJ Putz's role as closer is still safe.

hmmmm good luck with the guys in the CTG leagues contributing lol
Haha. Thought the same thing! Ordinarily would love to contribute to this; but I'd be cutting off my nose to spite my face. I have a lot of thoughts on this, but I don't think it would be wise to share.

Chicago (north side) - Similar situation to Boston with the Cubs... Gregg has been very successful, so, with Fujikawa coming back, he may not get his closer job back as was previously expected (until Gregg started his nice run with the 9th inning role). Strangely enough, the Cubs still have a short-term goal to get Carlos freaking Marmol back in the 9th inning role.
I will comment on this one. I thought about Kevin Gregg before he even saved one game, but I made my mind up that the situation in Chicago will be a mess all season long and not worth the trouble IMO unless you are completely desperate for saves. I think it stays in chaos form all season, for a team that stinks, too.

I understand guys don't wanna feed others info in CTG leagues, but, why not share if you've already successfully picked up a guy that just became closer or something to that affect?

So, of course, I leave Hanrahan on my bench...with Bailey unavailable tonight, Hanrahan gets the save.

Fuck

Against you there, renew. Got him in that league and just picked him up in another league where another guy dropped him the other day.

Boston - Junichi Tazawa becomes the closer with Bailey and Hanrahan both on the DL.

Arizona - Heath Bell may have won the closer job last night. Putz walked the first batter he faced on 4 pitches last night and yanked. Bell came in and closed the door with 3 outs.

Back