Bowls? Why not?

Brass I agree with your comments on Cin/GA game. My concerns there are schedule for Cin (90) and whether their defensive backfield can hold up against a really good passing attack. Daniels PYA in three games he played was 10.6, 8.7, 11.1 and GA for the year was only 7.8 so much better depth of target and getting the ball downfield when Daniels played vs. Miss St., SC, Missouri. I was looking to maybe play Cin but will pass. Have lean towards over, but think I will watch and maybe bet live. Happy New Year Brass, always enjoy your threads and perspective on the games.

Brass I agree with your comments on Cin/GA game. My concerns there are schedule for Cin (90) and whether their defensive backfield can hold up against a really good passing attack. Daniels PYA in three games he played was 10.6, 8.7, 11.1 and GA for the year was only 7.8 so much better depth of target and getting the ball downfield when Daniels played vs. Miss St., SC, Missouri. I was looking to maybe play Cin but will pass. Have lean towards over, but think I will watch and maybe bet live. Happy New Year Brass, always enjoy your threads and perspective on the games.
Thanks Timmy, Happy New Year to you as well. Let's hope '21 is maybe slightly better than '20

12. Clemson -7 v Ohio State: I would usually be on the dog in a game like this, but not this time. I realize that Ohio State is really mad, and they feel disrespected, but I am not at all confident in their ability to hang with Clemson in this game, and my reasons are probably not unique. Anyone who has watched Ohio State play this year knows that this is not even in the same zip code with their team last year, and that includes this year's Justin Fields against last year's Justin Fields. Something is just not right with him. We all know that OSU has faced very weak competition, yet the two defenses(Indiana and Northwestern) that have any ability at all made him look extremely flawed, and forced him into all kinds of awkward plays and bad decisions. They don't have the offensive playmakers of last year, and they won't be able to rely on their running game like they did against Northwestern, as Clemson is among the stingiest run defenses in the country, as you would expect. Even worse, Fields has been getting sacked early and often by everyone they've played, resulting in a sack rate that's 115th in the country. Clemson is 4th in sacking the QB. That is a recipe for disaster for the Buckeyes. The bigger mismatch however, looks to be Clemson's offense against the OSU defense. Ohio State ranked 41st in the country in yards per play, but that was against 6 of the worst offenses in the country, In fact, on a yards per play basis, here's where their opponents ranked:

Nebraska 73rd
Penn State: 84th
Indiana: 94th
Michigan State: 109th
Northwestern: 113th
Rutgers: 118th

Rutgers scored 27 points on them. Penn State averaged almost 10 yards per pass attempt on them. Indiana threw for 491 yards on only 27 completions (18 yards per!). If Clemson or Alabama (or Cincinnati or Georgia or even Oklahoma) played that schedule, they'd be #1 with a bullet in pretty much every defensive category. Have they been sandbagging? Maybe. But my guess is that if Michael Penix and Sean Clifford can torch that defense with downfield throws, Trevor Lawrence is merely deciding which receivers he wants to make a star out of as he watches the tape. Clemson likes nothing better than laying the wood to Ohio State, and they'll relish the opportunity to back up the bravado that their coach has been throwing out there without any fear whatsoever. If OSU comes out and hangs with Clemson I'll need Tommy John surgery from all the rapid fire hat tipping I'll be doing, because the Buckeyes look to be walking into an ass beating.
per the last sentence of this writeup, I've blown out my elbow.

Not playing NC State and Kentucky, although my own numbers and a lot of my subjective logic screams at me to play NC State +2.5. However, every pundit, and mean EVERY pundit that I can find is on NC State outright. All 7 of the CBS Sports guys(whoever they are, although I like Tom Fornelli) are on NC State. All 6 of USA Today's guys are on the Wolfpack too. That is terrifying. 1609562283928.png

I can see why this is the case. Kentucky has no passing game, completely relying on running the ball, and even then, they've only really run the ball successfully in 3 games, vs Vandy, South Carolina and Ole Miss. The ran all over all 3 of those teams, with more than half of their rushing yards on the season coming in those 3 games. Other than that, they averaged 3.42 yards per carry against a collection of defenses that nobody would call scary, other than maybe Georgia and Alabama. They failed to crack 300 yards 6 times. That's hard to do in today's college football. Defensively, they really weren't that good either, all the up to their last game against a comatose South Carolina team that ran for 297 yards on them. They ranked 85th against the pass, were outgained by 75 yards per game and finished the year 4-6. Yet somehow, against a 8-3 NC State team, they are favored, and the line has not moved one inch. NC State, against a pretty good schedule, ranked 41st in pass offense, 39th on 3rd down and 47th in total yards per play on defense...not bad. However, their current starting QB Bailey Hochman threw 8 picks in limited duty this year and Kentucky was a ballhawking secondary, and I have no interest in watching another parade of interceptions. They also were very inconsistent against the run...stopping teams like Pitt and Virginia cold, while allowing Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and North Carolina to pile up truckloads of yards. To be honest, I've gotten spooked, and this one looks too easy, so I'm laying off.

13 Outback Bowl: Indiana -9.5 v Ole Miss: This is shaping up as Oklahoma/Florida part II. Indiana had a great year, 7-0 ATS with only 1 outright loss to the mighty Ohio State Buckeyes, a performance that looks even better now. I actually got this earlier today at 8.5, I see it's 9.5 now (which is what I'll list it for because I would play it at that as well. Ole Miss is going to be without a ton of guys due to opt outs and COVID, and I wouldn't be surprised if this game ends up getting cancelled tomorrow at the last minute. The Rebels really don't want to be there, and even at full strength, they were an atrocious defense. Offensively, it's another story, and even without their guys, I assume that they'll put together some good drives and pile up some yards. But if Indiana can pick off Justin Fields 3 times, how many turnovers can they force on Matt Corral? Ole MIss ranked 103rd in the county in giveaways and IU was #2 in takeaways. In addition, as disjointed as Ole Miss will be for this game, you won't find a more unified team than Indiana. They have not a single opt out and they are 100% healthy other than QB Michael Penix, but they have a solid backup that they scored a outright win at Wisconsin with in Jack Tuttle. The team is totally unified and is pissed off that they were slighted by both the committee for keeping them out of a New Years 6 game, and the Big Ten for not helping them get to a better bowl. (It's a lot of whining in my opinion, but what ever unifies them unifies them). The Big Ten is looking pretty good in the bowls so far, and based on these circumstances, I can't see much of a change in this one.

I'm laying off Iowa State/Oregon. I lean to Iowa State here since it appears the Ducks have completely lost all faith in QB Tyler Shough, as they schematically bottled him up after they got a lead against USC. Also, ISU should be able to run on the Ducks with Breece Hall, while at the same time they've stopped the run well all year. Also, the Big 12 has done well in bowls, and the Pac 12 looks shaky in a small sample size. However, ISU struggled stopping passing attacks all year, so if Oregon allows Shough to throw downfield, they should have success. The line has creeped up, and I can't find anyone on Oregon despite their success in bowls in recent years. I'm laying off that one.

14. Orange Bowl Texas A&M -8.5 v North Carolina: The opt out scourge strikes again. The line movement on this one is nowhere near the movement that the Florida/Oklahoma game saw, but the defections are very significant, as the 3 top skill guys other than Sam Howell from UNC are gone on offense, and their best defensive player, Chazz Surratt also opted out. It's another case of one team being motivated while the other is totally disinterested, despite what shaped up to be a great looking matchup on paper. A&M has zero opt outs for this game that I'm aware of other than the guys that didn't play at all this year. UNC was prolific this year in every game other than their tilt with Notre Dame, but this A&M defense is the only one that compares to ND on their schedule, and Sam Howell will be without the vast majority of the production of the offense without Dyami Brown, (1,099 yards), Javonte Williams (1.550 yards) and Michael Carter (1,407 yards). That ends up being 66% of the total yards they gained this year. A&M does pretty much everything well on both sides of the ball. 21st in yards per play on offense, 38th on defense. 3rd on 3rd down, no area worse than 50th, and again, they are motivated to show everyone that they should have been the one getting steamrolled by Alabama in Rose Bowl, not Notre Dame. I hate to be on all favorites, but that's the way it shakes out.

14. Orange Bowl Texas A&M -8.5 v North Carolina: The opt out scourge strikes again. The line movement on this one is nowhere near the movement that the Florida/Oklahoma game saw, but the defections are very significant, as the 3 top skill guys other than Sam Howell from UNC are gone on offense, and their best defensive player, Chazz Surratt also opted out. It's another case of one team being motivated while the other is totally disinterested, despite what shaped up to be a great looking matchup on paper. A&M has zero opt outs for this game that I'm aware of other than the guys that didn't play at all this year. UNC was prolific this year in every game other than their tilt with Notre Dame, but this A&M defense is the only one that compares to ND on their schedule, and Sam Howell will be without the vast majority of the production of the offense without Dyami Brown, (1,099 yards), Javonte Williams (1.550 yards) and Michael Carter (1,407 yards). That ends up being 66% of the total yards they gained this year. A&M does pretty much everything well on both sides of the ball. 21st in yards per play on offense, 38th on defense. 3rd on 3rd down, no area worse than 50th, and again, they are motivated to show everyone that they should have been the one getting steamrolled by Alabama in Rose Bowl, not Notre Dame. I hate to be on all favorites, but that's the way it shakes out.
No idea how unc doesn’t lose by dd here with all those opt outs. Has the making of Florida/ou all over again

No idea how unc doesn’t lose by dd here with all those opt outs. Has the making of Florida/ou all over again

with the Sooners game i thought they were the better team coming in before the opt outs. You could obviously say same thing here. Im
Pretty shocked aggies don’t have opt outs of their own, Seems like they usually do?

I dunno what unc depth chart looks like in way of backup pass catchers or how long/how many practices Howell has gotten with them? I know they said Gators had not gotten to practice with the replacements but 1-2 times! Think that a big issue, did they not decide till late? Heels have known bout these guys for some time correct? That would make a difference I think as timing was awful for Gators.

with the Sooners game i thought they were the better team coming in before the opt outs. You could obviously say same thing here. Im
Pretty shocked aggies don’t have opt outs of their own, Seems like they usually do?

I dunno what unc depth chart looks like in way of backup pass catchers or how long/how many practices Howell has gotten with them? I know they said Gators had not gotten to practice with the replacements but 1-2 times! Think that a big issue, did they not decide till late? Heels have known bout these guys for some time correct? That would make a difference I think as timing was awful for Gators.

valid points but even if they’ve prepped all these guys opting out are studs and there will be significant drop off but maybe I’m wrong.

valid points but even if they’ve prepped all these guys opting out are studs and there will be significant drop off but maybe I’m wrong.

oh I’m not really suggesting unc the play, they lost a shitload their offense and I really Dunno how well they stack up with aggies anyways? Was just pointing out situation might be little different. I doubt I bet that game, gl.

National Title Game: Ohio State vs Alabama: I've been wrong on the MNC games for the past few years, so I'm not going to recommend that anyone follow me on this one, but I figure I'll give my thoughts. I went ahead and played OSU +9 when it got there this afternoon, as their well documented previous history almost demands that you take OSU when they're dogged. The performance against Clemson on 1/1 reminds you of what they looked like in 2014 when they dispatched a Bama team much less potent than this one and then put the wood to Mariota and Oregon a week later. I can see that playing out, but the reasons for it seem less tangible this year than that season because even after that performance last week, I still don't see the mega playmakers on this version of OSU that were prevalent back then. The last we remember of these teams is Alabama losing momentum and failing to cover against ND, and then the stunning emergence of the Buckeyes a couple hours later. I'd caution people to not be fooled by that because after about the second drive in that "Rose Bowl", Alabama might have run 3 different plays. All they did was some sort of version of a handoff to Harris, or a screen pass or a slant. That was it. They showed nothing, and they didn't need to. With the addition of Waddle back on the field, we'll see the full monty from Bama, and that conjures fears of the OSU secondary that we saw all year, yet somehow came away unscathed against Clemson. Can they do it again? I'm betting they at least do enough to cover, but betting against that Alabama offense is something I'm not willing to recommend that others do.

Mac Jones playing like the GOAT. Wonder how high he goes after this? Smith cementing a top 3 pick imo. Jets should take him at 2 and give darnold or whoever your qb is a real weapon

Mac Jones playing like the GOAT. Wonder how high he goes after this? Smith cementing a top 3 pick imo. Jets should take him at 2 and give darnold or whoever your qb is a real weapon
I actually don't know how good Mac Jones is. He might be, but it's similar to Tua. Every throw he makes is to a future NFL stud, streaking wide open with unlimited time to wait for a supremely designed play to develop. With the Alabama QBs, I'm sure NFL people know there's a ton more research needed on them. Nothing against Mac Jones, but there are a LOT of college QBs who would look like superstars in that environment. It's risky to assume that he is able to make tight window NFL throws/reads just because he can hit Devonta Smith when he's 10 yards clear of a defender. Again, he might be able to, but we have no evidence of it because it was never required of him at Alabama.

Well Br@ss, this being the last game of a very different college season, I would like to thank you very much for the fantastic write ups you provided. I really enjoyed them.

Take care my friend.
Oakas, that makes me feel great. I wish great arm health to Bassitt, Wendelkin, Frankie Montas and the rest of the boys, and here's hoping for bouncebacks from Laureano and Olson.

I actually don't know how good Mac Jones is. He might be, but it's similar to Tua. Every throw he makes is to a future NFL stud, streaking wide open with unlimited time to wait for a supremely designed play to develop. With the Alabama QBs, I'm sure NFL people know there's a ton more research needed on them. Nothing against Mac Jones, but there are a LOT of college QBs who would look like superstars in that environment. It's risky to assume that he is able to make tight window NFL throws/reads just because he can hit Devonta Smith when he's 10 yards clear of a defender. Again, he might be able to, but we have no evidence of it because it was never required of him at Alabama.
Could have said the same of Joe Burrow and he looks aight, but I hear you. He’s got studs up and down that offense more often than not going up against inferior guys defending them. That said, I find it hard to believe Zach Wilson is better than him. You could argue Wilson isn’t throwing to nfl caliber weapons, but he’s also not facing nfl caliber defensive players. The jury is still out on Tua, rookie qbs tend to struggle more often than not right away, we got spoiled bc a handful lately had success quickly, but he also was just coming back from that hip injury. Let’s see how he goes next season with a year under his belt and another year recovery

Could have said the same of Joe Burrow and he looks aight, but I hear you. He’s got studs up and down that offense more often than not going up against inferior guys defending them. That said, I find it hard to believe Zach Wilson is better than him. You could argue Wilson isn’t throwing to nfl caliber weapons, but he’s also not facing nfl caliber defensive players. The jury is still out on Tua, rookie qbs tend to struggle more often than not right away, we got spoiled bc a handful lately had success quickly, but he also was just coming back from that hip injury. Let’s see how he goes next season with a year under his belt and another year recovery
Oh yeah, I'm not giving up on Tua(although I'm worried about him), just saying these two guys had the same situation coming out. Also, not advocating for anyone else being better, just pointing out that Jones' body of work doesn't tell us much. There's also risk of overthinking things too. Sometimes the evidence is right in front of you and you don't need to perform quantum physics to get the "real story". Trubisky over Watson is the ultimate proof of that.

Key pull by Juwan. That kid looks awesome.
Very impressed with Dickinson, plays with a chip on his shoulder. Competitive and very physical. Dematha H.S. has produced a lot of great players over the years. MD though hasn't pulled a kid from Dematha in a long time. We sure could have used him this year in the BIG, with the plethora of good big men you have to face night in and night out. Michigan doing a great job with their program. Juwan has surpassed my initial expectations as a college coach.

Back