Black Monday for Coaches..

Off the top of my head, the only guys I remember sitting for a few years then turning into studs are McNair and Rodgers. Probably wouldn't have made much of a difference in either case.

It doesn't have to be a few years. Brady didn't start his rookie year...the only reason he played is because Bledsoe got hurt or he would have sat longer.

Off the top of my head, the only guys I remember sitting for a few years then turning into studs are McNair and Rodgers. Probably wouldn't have made much of a difference in either case.
I think Romo might have sat for a year or two as well...

Or getting lucky, if Bledsoe doesn't go down their talent evaluation team didn't evaluate shit

They got lucky, took a flier and it magically worked

It doesn't have to be a few years. Brady didn't start his rookie year...the only reason he played is because Bledsoe got hurt or he would have sat longer.

He would have been cut and jumped ship a couple times before starting his State Farm agency

Or getting lucky, if Bledsoe doesn't go down their talent evaluation team didn't evaluate shit

They got lucky, took a flier and it magically worked

Okay, sure. Brady doesn't fit the "team being fortunate" angle anyway since every team passed on him 5 or 6 times.

He would have been cut and jumped ship a couple times before starting his State Farm agency

It's quite possible. We can only really talk about what happened though right? We could make hypotheticals for every player and every team for the next month or two if we really wanted to. Let's just deal with what actually happened, seems easier that way.

The thing is, there's so few competent QB's league wide nowadays and with the rapidly changing nature of the league from run first to pass first, I don't think any franchise can justify having a first round pick hold a clipboard for two seasons anymore...

The thing is, there's so few competent QB's league wide nowadays and with the rapidly changing nature of the league from run first to pass first, I don't think any franchise can justify having a first round pick hold a clipboard for two seasons anymore...

Until it starts working more often than it fails, I don't know how they can justify playing them before they're really ready though. These teams that haven't won in years (or a decade plus in a few cases) have done nothing more than set their franchises back another couple of years by starting the rookie QB.

I'm sure we could compile a list of guys who were drafted and started in their rookie year in the past decade. A vast majority of those guys probably aren't even in the NFL anymore, and there's probably only a handful (if that) who are currently franchise QBs.

No new head coach can justify that since they are given roughly two years to make a difference, unless they go to a good organization (Pittsburgh for instance) that is stable.

No new head coach can justify that since they are given roughly two years to make a difference, unless they go to a good organization (Pittsburgh for instance) that is stable.

Right...which was the actual starting point for this conversation....coaches getting fired as often as they do, and getting such a short time to win makes little sense when GMs and front offices keep making poor choices on the players (specifically QB) those coaches have to work with. It's like these teams are just chasing their tails over and over and over again.

Until it starts working more often than it fails, I don't know how they can justify playing them before they're really ready though. These teams that haven't won in years (or a decade plus in a few cases) have done nothing more than set their franchises back another couple of years by starting the rookie QB.

I'm sure we could compile a list of guys who were drafted and started in their rookie year in the past decade. A vast majority of those guys probably aren't even in the NFL anymore, and there's probably only a handful (if that) who are currently franchise QBs.
How about only drafting college QB's from pro style offenses then? That would eliminate at least half the guess work...

How about only drafting college QB's from pro style offenses then? That would eliminate at least half the guess work...

Agree 100%.

It really does still boggle my mind that these teams continue to make the same mistake over and over again with the flashy, running, athletic QB who they think will change the game. How many times has that been said? How many times has that come true as of right now? Yet it's going to happen yet again this year with Mariotta and Winston. Maybe one of them will be successful, but based on past performances of Heisman trophy winning QBs, the odds aren't with them. But some team will take each of them waaaaaay too high in the draft, and be stuck with a Geno Smith, Jamarcus Russell, etc, etc, etc.

Ron Wolf use to draft one or pick up a free agent just about every year for GB. Worked out pretty well even when he already had Brett Favre in place... Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell, Kurt Warner, Doug Pederson, Ty Detmer, Aaron Rodgers, etc
please remove doug pederson from this list

Outside of Luck and Peyton Manning, who in the past 20 years has been able to start right away and become a franchise QB w/i the next year or 2? I'm sure there are a couple more I'm not remembering, but you can probably count them all on one hand. They should sit and learn how to play QB in the NFL...it's clearly a different animal.

Lots of guys, it's becoming more prevalent. Cam Newton and Russ Wilson, squaring off tonight, started right away, right? Andy Dalton. Big Ben started the third game of his rookie year. Brady started the third game of his second year. Flacco started right away. RGIII, Eli, Stafford, all right away. Further back, Troy Aikman started right away. Dan Marino. Your boy Jim Kelly, although he had some seasoning in the USFL.

Point is, it can be done. By the good ones.

Browns have had such a problem at the position, I really wouldn't mind them going out and acquiring a guy someone else is tired of. Cutler, Stafford, Eli, Foles, Kaep, I'll take any of those guys.

Tip. They drafted Manziel and ur going to have to live with him for a yr at least

Back