• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Big time UT starter/backup arrested--Suspended. But...Brown's Drug Test Negative

blunt was 1.1 grams. jimmy no way that should be a felony.

Brown should be arrested for being stupid if anything.

Fortunately being stupid is not a crime.

Otherwise the entire state of Oklahoma would be incarcerated.

AAAaaaaaaaa...Zinger!

rjurewitz said:
Drugs, depending on type and quantity, can be misdemeanors. Don't know about laws in OK but you can possess small quantities in CA for personal use and it is a citation.

Horn--No idea when that blunt was smoked. You're assuming that Harris was smoking in the car or had just smoked the blunt. It could've been left there for some time.

This kind of scenario of the blunt being found in the car/ashtray isn't all that unusual.

The shooting range is one thing. Need a permit for the gun and the gun should be unloaded and stored while in public. When I think of target shooting, I think of a .25. This is a 9 mm which is a little bigger caliber and is also commonly used for target shooting.

But no competitive target shooter would use it. Too much recoil.

rj, here in OK, if the dog sniffs your wallet and smells any money with drug stuff on it, you get 6 yrs, minimum. Our prison system is so damn over crowded with druggies and child molesters we can't even keep the bank robbers in anymore. They get probation with restitution. But the lawyers are making good money.

Jump---Ahhh, no it doesn't.

Tarrell was not caught with an open bottle of Grey Goose, firearms, and wearing a bullet proof vest while working for the Johnny Mob.

After taking money from boosters.

Not even in the same league.

jimmyd said:
rj, here in OK, if the dog sniffs your wallet and smells any money with drug stuff on it, you get 6 yrs, minimum. Our prison system is so damn over crowded with druggies and child molesters we can't even keep the bank robbers in anymore. They get probation with restitution. But the lawyers are making good money.

Here in the civilized world that doesn't happen for 1.1 grams.

You guys should seriously look up how little that is. It's a roach.

SHSUHorn said:
rj I love your avatar.

Thanks. It's pretty cool. Got it from HornFans.

My wife saw it for the first time yesterday and she wants me to remove it.

But it ain't happening.

rjurewitz said:
Thanks. It's pretty cool. Got it from HornFans.

My wife saw it for the first time yesterday and she wants me to remove it.

But it ain't happening.

That ain't your wife??? Damn. Now all the respect is gone.

rjurewitz said:
Jump---Ahhh, no it doesn't.

Tarrell was not caught with an open bottle of Grey Goose, firearms, and wearing a bullet proof vest while working for the Johnny Mob.

After taking money from boosters.

Not even in the same league.

I'm not talking about Clarett RJ...I don't defend him and never will...he's made bad judgement after bad judgement...

What I'm talkin about is this offseason...Go look at the suspension thread we had for six weeks...it goes about 25 teams deep in there...

Just how things are nowadays...

With you, jump.

Kids are being kids in some cases and in other cases being exceedingly stupid.

Hate to see a higher standard for football players, but that's the way it goes.

jimmyd said:
That ain't your wife??? Damn. Now all the respect is gone.

That isn't his wife. I've been with his wife.

Zinger -- back!
evillol.gif

SHSUHorn said:
blunt was 1.1 grams. jimmy no way that should be a felony.

Brown should be arrested for being stupid if anything.

I think maybe its the Injuns. We still can only sell 3.2 beer (near beer for the semcon people), but you can get all the 151 rum you want. Go figure.

Don't blame me. Sooner was drunk and it was dark. Aparently he did not notice the penis either.

Update from BON:

Update [2006-9-4 22:49:6 by HornsFan]: Things have changed dramatically since the initial report came out that starting cornerback Tarrell Brown has been arrested. Given the nature of those circumstances, and the legitimate questions concerning what, if anything, he did wrong, we're pulling our original post until more information is revealed.

Neither the gun, nor the marijuana, appear to belong to Tarrell Brown. If that proves to be inaccurate, and he is guilty of the charges, we'll react appropriately. Until then, we'll treat him as another college kid doing what we did way too many times during our own college days - making the mistake of hanging out with the wrong crowd at the wrong time.

If that's the extent of his crime, we'll note the danger in those mistakes and hope he makes wiser decisions. Beyond that, there's not much else to be done.

If, on the other hand, he is guilty of something more serious, we'll react to that as appropriate.
--BON-- Entry Link

Saw this on HornFans from someone called S.A. LawHorn:

"Hmmm, lets see, according to the warrant affadavit, Mr. Brown was in a vehicle that was stopped by APD this morning. Mr. Brown was found by an APD officer to appear to be asleep in the backseat of the vehicle with his hand on a 9mm that was on his lap. When the vehicle was searched by APD, a "blunt" marihuana cigar was found under the front passenger seat. Mr. Brown was arrested for UCW and, according to reports, POM 0-2 oz.

(A) Sec. 46.02 Unlawful Carrying Weapon (UCW):
Under 46.02 the mens rea is the usual intentionally, knowingly or recklessly in which the defendant was carrying the weapon on or about his person. Under Sec. 46.15 (Nonapplicability), Sec. 46.02 does not apply to a person who is traveling. Under Sec. 46.15 a person is presumed to be traveling if the person is: (1) in a private vehicle; (2) not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic; (3) not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; (4) not a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01; and (5) not carrying a handgun in plain view.

(B) Possession of Marihuana:
Marihuana was not found on Mr. Brown's person, but was found in a vehicle in which he was riding. Classic affirmative links case.

I am not going to speculate other than to say that Mr. Brown's attorney certainly has a lot of issues to work with that are in Mr. Brown's favor. The case is by no means a slam-dunk for the state."

Mirrors my analysis but makes the handgun possession charge even more speculative.

More from DMN:

UT cornerback Brown arrested
[SIZE=+1]Backup LB Gatewood, former LB Harris also involved[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]08:30 PM CDT on Monday, September 4, 2006

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News[/SIZE]

AUSTIN – As if Ohio State wasn't enough to think about this week, Texas coaches and players learned Monday that starting cornerback Tarell Brown was arrested on misdemeanor drug and weapon charges, throwing his availability for Saturday night's game into question.

According to the Travis County Sheriff's Office, Brown was booked into the Travis County Jail at 4:55 a.m. Monday along with backup Texas linebacker Tyrell Gatewood and former Longhorns linebacker Aaron Harris. Brown and Harris both attended North Mesquite High School. Gatewood is a product of Tyler Chapel Hill.

Brown was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon, a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a $4,000 fine. Brown, Gatewood and Harris were all charged with possession of two ounces or less of marijuana, a Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a $2,000 fine.

According to sheriff's records, Harris was driving northbound on I-35 near downtown Austin at 2:48 a.m. when authorities pulled him over for swerving from lane to lane and changing lanes without a signal.

Harris passed field sobriety tests but admitted that he had been smoking marijuana, according to sheriff's records. Brown and Gatewood were asleep in the car, but Brown had a loaded 9 millimeter pistol in his possession, according to sheriff's records.

Authorities located a "blunt" marijuana cigarette weighing 1.1 ounces under the front seat of the car, according to authorities. Authorities also found another .7 ounces of marijuana in Harris' front pocket, according to sheriff's records.

Brown and Gatewood were released from jail at about noon Monday, posting bond roughly seven hours after being booked. Harris was still in jail late Monday afternoon. Harris, Gatewood and Brown weren't immediately available for comment.

"We are aware of the situation with Tarell [Brown] and Tyrell [Gatewood] and have met with both of them," Texas coach Mack Brown said in a statement. "We're working closely with the young men and the authorities. At this time, we are holding them out of all team functions as we gather as much information as possible before making a team decision."

Jamie Balagia, the attorney for Tarell Brown and Gatewood, said the car and gun belonged to Gatewood.

"Tyrell bought the gun legally and signed all the ATF paperwork," Balagia said. "That’s his gun. He had taken it to the shooting range and forgot he had it in the car. It slid out from under the driver's seat, and Tarell picked it up and put in his lap. Then he fell asleep."

0905tb2.jpg

Police mugshot of Tarell Brown

Balagia said Brown and Gatewood took drug tests for Texas on Monday to prove they were not smoking marijuana.

"They don't engage in that kind of activity," Balagia said. "That was something Aaron Harris is taking full credit for."

Balagia said there should not be a rush to judgment.

"This wasn’t a situation where a guy was out with a gun causing trouble," Balagia said. "This was a series of mistakes that caused the pistol to be in the car. And there is no suggestion that anyone was doing anything wrong with this gun. This is something that shouldn't have happened, and now we need to find a way to make it go away. Tarell and Tyrell are looking forward to having their names cleared."

0905tg2.jpg

Police mugshot of Tyrell Gatewood

Texas defensive coordinator Gene Chizik said, "I'm not at liberty to comment. I don't know the details."

Chizik said his defense will be focused for the Ohio State game and won't be distracted.

"Even though we have some young players, our team is mature and this team is focused," Chizik said. "We feel like depth is something we don't have problems with at Texas."

Texas safety Michael Griffin said, "I don't know what happened. I just wish the best for Tarell Brown and whoever else was involved."

When asked about possibly playing without Brown this weekend, Griffin said, "It's an opportunity for some of our young guys to step up. Whether it's an injury or something else, people are always called upon to step up. This is no different."

Brown was expected to line up on Ohio State receiver Ted Ginn Jr. in the slot on Saturday. If Brown is held out of the game, he'd likely be replaced by either junior Brandon Foster of Arlington Bowie or sophomore Ryan Palmer of Arlington Bowie.

This is the second incident involving a starter in less than a year. In July, Mack Brown encouraged former starting tailback Ramonce Taylor to transfer after Taylor was charged in May with possession of four pounds of marijuana. Taylor has since enrolled at Texas College, an NAIA school in Tyler.

Brown’s drug test negative, lawyer says

By Suzanne Halliburton | Wednesday, September 6, 2006, 12:14 PM

The results of Tarell’s Brown’s urine test were negative, his lawyer told the American-Statesman on Wednesday.

Brown voluntarily took the test hours after he was arrested for marijuana and handgun possession Monday morning. The test was administered by the UT athletic department.

Jamie Balagia said that he had yet to receive the test results for Tyrell Gatewood, the backup safety and special teams player.

The two, along with former Longhorn linebacker Aaron Harris, were arrested at 2:48 a.m. Monday by Travis County Sheriff’s deputies.

Back