Big time UT starter/backup arrested--Suspended. But...Brown's Drug Test Negative

SHSUHorn

Thief
Terrell Brown arrested for weed and having a weapon. What the fuck is going on with these guys.

Brown was the guy who shut down Ginn last year.

This is HUGE fellas.

Holy fuck!

Where is Mack to set these kids straight?

Shit. Now you have to move Ross over to cover Ginn and it drops off considerably from there.

Why this week? Seriously.

Good news for the Buckeyes....

Horn one thing about him "shutting" down Ginn. That was Ginn's first full year ever playing reciever. Zwick played half the game and that probably had a lot to do with it....

:bow:
01brown.jpg

WTF is he thinking?

Report: Brown faces drug, weapons charges

ESPN.com news services

Texas starting cornerback Tarell Brown was arrested early Monday on marijuana and weapon charges, the Austin American-Statesman reported on its Web site.
ncf_g_brown_195.jpg

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
Senior cornerback Tarell Brown faces misdemeanor weapons and drug charges in Travis County, Texas, according to a media report.

The newspaper reported that Brown and former Longhorns teammate Aaron Harris, who played on last year's national championship team, were booked at Travis County Central Booking Facility on Monday morning.
Brown was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon, a Class A misdemeanor in Texas, and both Brown and Harris were charged with possession of 2 ounces or less of marijuana, a Class B misdemeanor, the newspaper reported.

Brown was released from Travis County Jail on personal bond on Monday, the newspaper reported.

The newspaper said according to a team official, Texas coach Mack Brown was aware of the situation but had not yet spoken to Brown.
If Brown starts against No. 1 Ohio State on Saturday, he is expected to draw the assignment of covering wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr., a Heisman Trophy hopeful.

yessir, Brown is one of the best corners in the country, I think Steele has him ranked 3rd. He's that good.

Ginn had 3 drops in that game that hit him right in the hands.

Regardless Ginn was probably going to be doubled anyway. Wouldn't surprise me for this game to see Griffin move over to CB and Jackson come in at S.

All Texas DBs are cross trained at every position.

If not Foster gets the start with Ross with Palmer now nickel. After that its true frosh Chykie Brown. Not good.

Yessir--But now you don't have the 2 big receiver threat with the loss of Holmes.

Ginn is going to keyed on big tim with the #1 CB and a safety over the top at all times.

This is huge though. If Brown is suspended for the game. We'll be starting a new CB against tOSU.

Hope that Mack Brown and the alumns have some pull and Brown can play. Suspend him for all the weak games leading up to OU.

Horn- I agree...and I know this guy is a stud....that is why it is great to see him get caught with some sticky

Still not worried. Texas by a touchdown. Not impressed with Ohio St, you cant lose 9 starters on defense then expect to win such a big game. Garret Wolfe ran wild on them.. and now Texas has a far superior OL and their backs are more talented imo just dont get as many carries.

EVERYONE HOLD YOUR HORSES--Thank You Hunt for the Report

If the report is correct, I believe Brown will start and play against the Buckeyes.

There are no felony charges and the most serious charge against him is a Class A weapons misdemeanor. That means, since this is presumably his first offense, the most he will get is a year probation.

The Class B misdemeanor is still serious but not that serious. It is not like Ramonce and enough to possibly have an intent to distribute. However it is more than a mere recreational amount.

See Brown pleading no contest, doing some community service, apologizing to the team and university, sitting out against SHSU and another weak game, and getting probation. That would not be getting off light, I think. It would be an appropriate penalty.

He will sit out at least a half..mack will get so much shit if he plays the whole game IMO...its all over the news now.

It would not be appropriate at all if he played this game and then sat out another game - what kind of message is that? You know how much shit they would take for that?

I can see the range of possibilities.

Let me tell you, it's serious but not as serious as people are making it out.

The bottom line is that people are making it out to be serious. The same people that will write news columns and broadcast these games. No program needs that shit on their plate.

SHSUHorn said:
Suspend him after this game lol.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Mack doesn't suspend him at all. He'll give some excuse about "waiting to see the results of the investigation before acting on it."

rj, Can you fly down and do some pro bono work for Mr. Brown?

If OJ can play golf then Brown can play vs tOSU.

YesSir said:
I knew you would chime in Sooner lol.....I was just waiting

I could say a lot about this and give Horn some much deserved payback, but we Sooner fans have more class than that.
superbiggrin.gif

Statesman is reporting that Tyrell Gatewood was also arrested. There goes a backup safety...

RJ:

I don't like it when you say "there goes"; because I'm very unclear what's going on here.

Not to lack a personality or seem cold, but I COULD GIVE A FUCK who got arrested. All I want to know is whether any of these guys are going to be playing or not on Saturday.

All the information pertaining to the case is irrelevant to me. Just let me know when you hear any word on suspensions, please, RJ/Horn/others... Anything else is unimportant to me...

:shake:

With you CKR. That description was inaccurate for what we are doing here.

We know that Brown and Gatewood were arrested. How that effects the game is unclear right now. Both were arrested for misdemeanor weapons and drug charges.

For the time being, just watch the news and updates.

Update from Mack and the Statesman

Lawyers now involved. Spinning or not? You decide.

Details emerge on Longhorns’ arrest

By Suzanne Halliburton | Monday, September 4, 2006, 03:39 PM

Austin lawyer Jamie Balagia is representing both Tarell Brown and Tyrell Gatewood, the Longhorn football players who were arrested early Monday with ex-Texas player Aaron Harris on drugs and weapons charges.

He told the American-Statesman Monday that both his clients were drug tested — at their request — to prove that the small amount of marijuana that led to their arrest was not theirs.

“All in all, it was a weird set of circumstances,” Balagia said. “When the facts come out, this will be resolved pretty quickly.”

According to the arrest affidavit, Brown was arrested after deputies pulled over Harris in a traffic stop on Interstate 35 North just before 3 a.m. Brown was asleep in the back seat. Deputies saw a gun in his lap, and banged on the windows of the car to wake him. Balagia said the weapon was a “recreational gun” Gatewood had purchased two weeks ago for target practice. The report said it was a loaded 9 mm handgun. Balagia said that Brown had found the gun on the floorboard of the backseat and picked it up.

Texas Coach Mack Brown released a statement Monday.

“We are aware of the situation with Tarell (Brown) and Tyrell (Gatewood) and have met with both of them,” Brown said. “We’re working closely with the young men and the authorities. At this time, we are holding them out of all team functions as we gather as much information as possible before making a team decision.”

Tarell Brown and Gatewood were released from Travis County Jail about noon today, seven hours after they were arrested on misdemeanor marijuana charges. Brown was also charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon. They were released on a personal bond. Harris was released around 4 p.m., according to Balagia.

Looks like the weapons charge, if any, will be pinned on Gatewood. There will be a record of the purchase.

Question now is is whose pot was it? Looks like the lawyer is trying to pin it on Harris or someone else.

Taking a drug test is not dispositive but does help the argument.

You know, I don't care who's pot it was or who's gun it was they are both guilty by association. If I was coach I'd suspend them for this game for just being stupid enough to drive around with the stuff. Why can't they just shoot steroids like most normal college athletes and be happy with that? lol

Seriously, this was stupid move. I got pissed at Sampson a couple of years back for not disciplining Jabari Brown more severely for Marajuana possession. I don't care if he was from the Islands where a bunch of that goes on, these athletes are in training and they need to have enough sense to cut that shit out.

Who said Maurice Clarett wasn't a role model?

Seriously, it's amazing some of the shit that HC's have to deal with. Not many of us were rocket scientists at age 19-20, but how smart do you have to be to figure out that driving around at 3am with drugs & a gun in your car ain't a great idea?

I agree. Stupid move. They potentially cost the Horns a win just by their actions.

Mack needs to discipline them hard. I don't care if it's internally or publicly but this shit needs to stop. Should have stopped after Ramonce.

Also the weed that was found was a blunt found under Harris' seat. Both Gatewood and Brown took the drug test to prove it was only Harris.

Only question is why the fuck is this kid carrying a loaded gun in his lap.

If Merriweather can play right now for shooting back at someone who shot his buddy in the ass then this isn't a big deal.

Brown should play.

:23_29_107v:

Someone tell Chriss Fowler Brown has started 25 games at corner. He's not a freakin freshman. Unbelievable he's said this 3 different times today.

SHSUHorn said:

That's it? You've gotta be kidding me. This is blown way out of proportion.

First, the marijuana. The marijuana that Brown and Gatewood are charged with is the 1.1 gram blunt found under the driver's seat. It's in the common area so everyone gets arrested until it is figured out. But everything points to Harris. His car, he's driving, cops believe he is DWI, blunt is under his seat, and they find .8 more grams on his person. If Gatewood and Brown pass a drug test, that charge will be dropped.

One more thing on this topic. The total weight of the weed is less than 2 grams. That is a citation offense in California. You show up to traffic court, pay a fine, do some community service and that's it.

Second, the handgun. This is on Brown only because he was holding it. Weapon should not be loaded in the car but the weapon itself should be legal (hopefully if the attorney is correct). I don't see this turning out to be much either.

I think, due to the urgency of the situation, Brown and Gatewood will be allowed to play.

Dude. I catch the announcers making mistakes all the time. Funny that semi-pro or amateur cappers know more than pro announcers.

Let's play coach of ANY football team for a minute:

You have schooled and lectured your players on being athletes and staying pure through the training during the season. You've lectured them on being smart and not doing anything to jeopardize the team.

Now, you find out that two of your athletes have been stopped in this car with traces of drugs and a loaded gun -- or gun of any kind.

What is your judgement? Do you ask about how much of the drug was found? Do you ask if the gun was loaded or not? If it's your player's car, does it matter to you whether your players fail a drug test or not before you pass down a decision on their eligibility for the upcoming game?

Just curious . . . . .

OK, Sooner.

Agree that these kids need to choose their friends wisely.

Re drugs--Drugs don't seem to belong to the players. The poor judgment is in getting in a car with a kid who has smoked pot earlier. Nothing we all haven't done or that any college student has done. Stupid nonetheless, but not criminal.

Re handgun--I'm waiting to see what comes of this. The gun is referred by the cops as a 9mm and the attorney refers to it as a target gun. Big difference in legal requirements. I believe the cops and will assume that it is a 9 mm. Now, whose gun is it? Gatewood has said it's his. The gun was on Brown's lap in the back seat but Brown was asleep. Enough technically to get him arrested but enough for a plea or a conviction? Don't know. Think my criminal attorney buddies could tear that apart.

Now, what does Mack do? Think he waits to let the suspension stand or be lifted based on the legal issues--which should work a little faster with Ohio St coming into town. Think the drug charge will be dismissed very quickly. Then what happens about the gun charge?

Think Hunt may be right. They might be held out for a quarter or a half against OSU but I think they should play while things are getting ironed out. If it gets worse you can always suspend later.

They also were at a shooting range earlier in the day and supposedly have eyewitnesses of this.

This is pretty hilarious.

My question is why the fuck didn't Aaron Harris throw the blunt out of the window, why did he tell the cops he was high, tell the cops he had weed in the car, and WHY THE FUCK did he not wake up the other guys?

CollegeKingRex said:
RJ:

I don't like it when you say "there goes"; because I'm very unclear what's going on here.

Not to lack a personality or seem cold, but I COULD GIVE A FUCK who got arrested. All I want to know is whether any of these guys are going to be playing or not on Saturday.

All the information pertaining to the case is irrelevant to me. Just let me know when you hear any word on suspensions, please, RJ/Horn/others... Anything else is unimportant to me...

:shake:

CKR, with all due respect, I think the thread was started as a heads up. It may be a couple of days till we hear the fall out of this. Until then, play either side with caution.

Senior cornerback Tarell Brown faces misdemeanor weapons and drug charges in Travis County, Texas, according to a media report.

SHSU, Get me a place down there. I'd love to live where "drugs" and "weapons" are misdemeanors. Here, in OK. drugs are felonies, but guns are OK, as long as you don't use them to shot your wife, unless you catch her with someone else, then its probation.

jimmyd said:

SHSU, Get me a place down there. I'd love to live where "drugs" and "weapons" are misdemeanors. Here, in OK. drugs are felonies, but guns are OK, as long as you don't use them to shot your wife, unless you catch her with someone else, then its probation.

LOL, damn right, Jimmy!
evillol.gif

Drugs, depending on type and quantity, can be misdemeanors. Don't know about laws in OK but you can possess small quantities in CA for personal use and it is a citation.

Horn--No idea when that blunt was smoked. You're assuming that Harris was smoking in the car or had just smoked the blunt. It could've been left there for some time.

This kind of scenario of the blunt being found in the car/ashtray isn't all that unusual.

The shooting range is one thing. Need a permit for the gun and the gun should be unloaded and stored while in public. When I think of target shooting, I think of a .25. This is a 9 mm which is a little bigger caliber and is also commonly used for target shooting.

But no competitive target shooter would use it. Too much recoil.

Back