Better player - Lebron James or Tim Duncan?

Duncan....no contest in my mind....5 ships and really should have been 6....bron 3 and it should have been 1

I liked LeBron when playing for Miami
since then i won't
renegade

Duncan sluggish basketball player,
so-so

Duncan.

A lot of the game is played without the ball and thus without stats.

And the dude improved at FTs. Became an asset.

There’s no excuse for LJ to be awful at them.

Not the question at hand but a thought...

How would Duncan be in the current climate of the NBA? Prime Timmay.

It’s close but I’d go with James. I’d definitely take Duncan over Kobe, though. Not even close there.

I think it is close too. I would definitely take Duncan if I had a choice though .. mainly because of what we know regarding loyalty. Lebron will take off on a whim after you have bent over backwards for him. Duncan more about the team and organization. So with the on the court ability being similar in level (though not in style obviously), I would go with the better human.

As for what Duncan would do in today's NBA, you would have to think as good as or better than what he did vs other big fellas. And his big fella game also translates a little better to some of todays game given that he could make that mid range bank shot in his prime like it was nothing.

I think it is close too. I would definitely take Duncan if I had a choice though .. mainly because of what we know regarding loyalty. Lebron will take off on a whim after you have bent over backwards for him. Duncan more about the team and organization. So with the on the court ability being similar in level (though not in style obviously), I would go with the better human.

As for what Duncan would do in today's NBA, you would have to think as good as or better than what he did vs other big fellas. And his big fella game also translates a little better to some of todays game given that he could make that mid range bank shot in his prime like it was nothing.
The human aspect is another reason I like Duncan. Good point. But Lebron is a much better person than Kobe, too.

Lebron in a landslide. Not even close. Plays all 5 positions. Great two way player. Almost won 3 ships by himself for cle.

Put Duncan on those Cleveland teams and get back with me. Plus lebron has had some baaad coaches.

Lebron in a landslide. Not even close. Plays all 5 positions. Great two way player. Almost won 3 ships by himself for cle.

Put Duncan on those Cleveland teams and get back with me. Plus lebron has had some baaad coaches.

Lebron hand picked his coaches

Prime Timmy would struggle today. Not quick enough to run the floor. Can't stretch out to shoot either. Embiid would be a close comparison and I'd take a healthy embiid over Duncan.

Prime Timmy would struggle today. Not quick enough to run the floor. Can't stretch out to shoot either. Embiid would be a close comparison and I'd take a healthy embiid over Duncan.

I love that type of argument .. Lebron couldn't do what he does now if they played defense like they did when Duncan came in the league (from a rules perspective I mean). And when he drove to the basket he would run into bigs that he doesn't have to worry about now.

I love that type of argument .. Lebron couldn't do what he does now if they played defense like they did when Duncan came in the league (from a rules perspective I mean). And when he drove to the basket he would run into bigs that he doesn't have to worry about now.

Bron been in the league since 2003 vk. Not much separation between the two.ok 6 years. A little separation. Bron basketball iq is so high. He would pass more. He would find a way to adapt.

I don't begrudge a person from thinking it is Lebron. But if you were inferring it was a slam dunk that it is Lebron, I have to disagree ... since I think Duncan has the better career.

He hand picked his firing.

He also hand picked his teammates

Two very different circumstances and different organizations. Spurs organizations is worlds better than cavs. Let's be real. Plus they already had David Robinson.

I don't begrudge a person from thinking it is Lebron. But if you were inferring it was a slam dunk that it is Lebron, I have to disagree ... since I think Duncan has the better career.

It's a slam dunk in my opinion. Not even a question.

I legit get into arguments where people tell me I’m nuts and I refuse to back down about this guy.

But I truly believe Tim Duncan is the most overrated player in the history of the league. He is the definition of a compiler that NEEDED great teammates a HOF genius coach and clutch teammate after clutch teammate to step up down the stretch for so many of those ships.

Name the big shot you’ll never forget Duncan hitting to win the game. I recall one...the 3 vs Phx with Shaq in their playoff series.

Now name all the other SA players who hit huge shots on TD teams...there’s a fucking scroll of dudes who have.

Tell me I’m nuts, used to it.

Spurs were probably actually one of the first few super teams imo. Parker, Duncan, Manu. Manu was very good in his prime.

I legit get into arguments where people tell me I’m nuts and I refuse to back down about this guy.

But I truly believe Tim Duncan is the most overrated player in the history of the league. He is the definition of a compiler that NEEDED great teammates a HOF genius coach and clutch teammate after clutch teammate to step up down the stretch for so many of those ships.

Name the big shot you’ll never forget Duncan hitting to win the game. I recall one...the 3 vs Phx with Shaq in their playoff series.

Now name all the other SA players who hit huge shots on TD teams...there’s a fucking scroll of dudes who have.

Tell me I’m nuts, used to it.

What big shot did Lebron hit?

And we talk about super teams now because Lebron couldn't do it without colluding with his buddies in south beach

I think Duncan made his teammates better. Those guys disappear into nothingness without Duncan. Parker was a good player .. definitely a really good player but Manu? come on.

Lebron has maybe two? two big playoff shots that actually mattered? And he has the ball in his hand every possession (in the playoff series where he hadn't quit already).

I think Lebron is great .. obviously. Just saying, if we are talking clutch shots, he is sort of known for being anti-clutch. Maybe the most famous anti-clutch player ever? It might not be fair but that is what people kind of think about him isn't it?

What big shot did Lebron hit?

Kyle, stop. C’mon. You can make a lot of cases for TD, but LeBron single-handedly willed his weaker teams to victory back when he scored 24 in a quarter in G5 vs the Stones as a pup or dropped 50+ in the Finals vs GS with a team of bozis.

For the record, this isn’t a love fest for LeBron, I fucking HATE that prick. He’s an arrogant, ignorant douche...but he presented a physical mismatch with size, speed and strength allowing him to play all 5 positions on both ends of the court.

He’s probably underrated all-time for how talented he is. Too bad I think his egocentric personality force-fed the teams he was on to catering to him EVERY FUCKING TIME HE BITCHED (which is always).

Dude may have been the GOAT if he put his ego aside and allowed himself to actually be coached into being a better player. But his lovefest for himself is so sick he thinks people are stupid and doesn’t know he is actually player, coach and GM.

His arrogance is his biggest downfall. And I agree with you he picks his teammates and has for years. He loved Mike Brown...until he didn’t.

Embiid is solid but I’d prefer AD or the Greek Freak.

Head to head playoffs:

Duncan 2
James 1

H2H Regular Season

10-10

Rings:

Duncan 5
James 3

Finals MVP's:

Duncan 3
James 3

Regular Season MVP:

Duncan 2
James 4

All-Defensive Teams:

Duncan 15
James 6

I won't compare stats until/unless James plays a few 'dead seasons' at the end of his career so we can fully compare.

Lets ask Lebron 5 years ago

I have no position here myself. We can look back 5 years ago and it was still a very hot debate about Kobe and Lebron. James is still in our everyday lives... so we are conditioned to think more highly perhaps?

Comparing eras is tough as well. You could put David Robinson in this era and he would be an absolute freak averaging around 30-15 min a game, and he was Duncan's teammate.

Going to the point of being clutch late in games.... Scarf may well be correct... but...more times than not maybe Duncan made the key defensive play/key pick/ or helped facilitate a game-winning play in other ways. It isn't as easy for a big man to be the 'man' in a late game situation as it is the 1-2-3 spots on the floor. Also, I'd like to see how many more times James has 'had' to make a big shot late in a game than Duncan or others.

I think a good authority on big-men in the modern era is Shaq. He bridged the 80's era with the 00's era. Ask him about Duncan...

Meanwhile, as I have said for years... Lebron is the hybrid Malone/Magic. We haven't see anything like him when he came into the league.

My last point, the James 'aura' has flourished the past 3 years or so...maybe 4...

Kyle, stop. C’mon. You can make a lot of cases for TD, but LeBron single-handedly willed his weaker teams to victory back when he scored 24 in a quarter in G5 vs the Stones as a pup or dropped 50+ in the Finals vs GS with a team of bozis.

For the record, this isn’t a love fest for LeBron, I fucking HATE that prick. He’s an arrogant, ignorant douche...but he presented a physical mismatch with size, speed and strength allowing him to play all 5 positions on both ends of the court.

He’s probably underrated all-time for how talented he is. Too bad I think his egocentric personality force-fed the teams he was on to catering to him EVERY FUCKING TIME HE BITCHED (which is always).

Dude may have been the GOAT if he put his ego aside and allowed himself to actually be coached into being a better player. But his lovefest for himself is so sick he thinks people are stupid and doesn’t know he is actually player, coach and GM.

His arrogance is his biggest downfall. And I agree with you he picks his teammates and has for years. He loved Mike Brown...until he didn’t.

I am not saying he isn't great, though. We are comparing two great players.

Lebron has a shot at kareem if he can stay healthy and interested (I think he will stay healthy at this point and it will be hard for him to pass on the opportunity if he can pass Kareem) as far as most points ever. But TD is at 14 in that category. I wont ding lebron for all the turnovers for the same reason I wont give him as much credit as some do for his assists but he could potentially end his career as the turnover king (so to speak), though career turnover lists are going to be a who's who of great players. TD is fifth all time in blocked shots. TD is sixth all time in rebounds. TD has 5 NBA Championships to Lebron's 3. 3 Finals MVP's to Lebron's 3. Both won rookie of the year. TD 2 regular season MVP's and Lebron 4. TD was all defensive team more times than any player in NBA history .. 15 times.

Spurs were probably actually one of the first few super teams imo. Parker, Duncan, Manu. Manu was very good in his prime.
LOL

Stop

'Super Team'?

Manu 57th pick in the draft

Parker 28th pick in the draft

--------------------------------------------------

Super Teams were 70's Lakers, 80's Lakers and 80's Celtics due to shrewd trades etc.

Lebron has maybe two? two big playoff shots that actually mattered? And he has the ball in his hand every possession (in the playoff series where he hadn't quit already).

Again, no dog in the fight but two points here...

1. Again, James is more liable to have the ball in his hands.

2. People tend to forget LeBron quitting in playoffs more than once.

Also, they were averaging around 90 possessions back in 2003-2004 and now it is around 99 or 100. So that is gonna effect stats in a major way.

Not a super team like today, but as close as you could get to one in late 90s early 2000s.

Bron definitely isn't known for game winners. He's known for taking over a whole game though. Or a whole quarter. At least 10x in playoffs.

He's been to 8 straight finals. With shit coaches, I might add. Pretty impressive.

If you want to use stats how many triple doubles has td had? This is just a ridiculous argument. Dunno why I got baited, but I did.

Also, they were averaging around 90 possessions back in 2003-2004 and now it is around 99 or 100. So that is gonna effect stats in a major way.

Stats for comparing anything NBA have to be taken with a grain of salt since Silver took over, especially.

This goes for any players.

The mid 2000's Suns would average more points than any team in the NBA playing, Golden State and Sacramento included. Now, they couldn't defend like GSW, hence the lack of true success.

Back