Better player - Lebron James or Tim Duncan?

If the Eastern conference wasn't weak sauce I would give him more credit for that. I do still give him credit for it but Duncan played in a tougher conference, certainly the years he met up against Lebron

Not a super team like today, but as close as you could get to one in late 90s early 2000s.

Bron definitely isn't known for game winners. He's known for taking over a whole game though. Or a whole quarter. At least 10x in playoffs.

He's been to 8 straight finals. With shit coaches, I might add. Pretty impressive.

If you want to use stats how many triple doubles has td had? This is just a ridiculous argument. Dunno why I got baited, but I did.

Well, the super team of the 2000's was the 2004 Lakers.

Bron was known as the very opposite of clutch late in games for a long time. In this era, you grab a Dirk Kobe, Wade etc before James. And, he has had a lot of attempts (I cannot find the up to date stats but it is alarming as of a few years ago).

But again, maybe he made the clutch pass or the pass before the pass for big shots.

The one factor that is getting missed here.... is the defense. Basketball may not seem like a 2 way sport anymore but the best team the last handful of years (GSW) is one of the best defensive teams I have ever seen. James is known for 'highlight' defensive plays but he is an awful defensive player for the most part. Duncan was one of the best 2 way players of the past 30-40 years.

Who is a better 2 way player since 1979?

Jordan...absolutely.

Who else? Hakeem? I can argue that but longevity kills some of that argument.

I'll hang up and listen.

(again, no horse in this race -- just discussing).

Obviously Magic and lebron are head and shoulders above everyone else in triple doubles in nba playoff history .. but might surprise you that Tim Duncan is 10th all time.

Pippen and kg have to be up there.

Bron have to give him a little pass there being the primary ball handler most years.

to be fair .. lebron was worked hard in his playoff games (other than the quit games). Despite being the physical specimen he is, it is kind of hard to have legs when you are doing everything.

Quick trivia

4 players all time have a quadruple-double.

Name them

Hint: One is not like the other

Disclaimer: I watched one live in an absolute blowout of a real bad Detroit team when I was a kid. It was amazing.

Pippen and kg have to be up there.

Bron have to give him a little pass there being the primary ball handler most years.

KG is just a step below Duncan.

Pippen, no. He had about 4-5 prime offensive years.

And, no I am not giving James a pass lol. Jordan had the ball in his hands ALL the time and was the best defender in the league.

I said this 5 years ago, 10 years ago etc on this forum.... James could have been much more dominant if he was a SF/PF. He didn't want to be, he wanted the ball in his hands.

Jordan didn't run point most years. Bj, pax, Kerr. Bron has always been primary handler even with kyrie

Quick trivia

4 players all time have a quadruple-double.

Name them

Hint: One is not like the other

Disclaimer: I watched one live in an absolute blowout of a real bad Detroit team when I was a kid. It was amazing.

Shaq?

Jordan didn't run point most years. Bj, pax, Kerr. Bron has always been primary handler even with kyrie

True enough really. But Jordan was very active away from the ball in the triangle. when lebron doesn't have the ball, he usually just stands somewhere

Lebron in a landslide. Not even close. Plays all 5 positions. Great two way player. Almost won 3 ships by himself for cle.

Put Duncan on those Cleveland teams and get back with me. Plus lebron has had some baaad coaches.

He’s an awful defender despite his athleticism.

And he’s an awful GM. He ruined every team he’s been on. Those rosters were his fault.

If the Eastern conference wasn't weak sauce I would give him more credit for that. I do still give him credit for it but Duncan played in a tougher conference, certainly the years he met up against Lebron

Lebron’s Cleveland team was arguably the second best team in the league the year they won (stoke it - GS injuries, Draymomd suspended, Irving bailing LJ out).

Other than that not even a top 3-5 team.

So little to give props to for the Cleveland Finals appearances.

I legit get into arguments where people tell me I’m nuts and I refuse to back down about this guy.

But I truly believe Tim Duncan is the most overrated player in the history of the league. He is the definition of a compiler that NEEDED great teammates a HOF genius coach and clutch teammate after clutch teammate to step up down the stretch for so many of those ships.

Name the big shot you’ll never forget Duncan hitting to win the game. I recall one...the 3 vs Phx with Shaq in their playoff series.

Now name all the other SA players who hit huge shots on TD teams...there’s a fucking scroll of dudes who have.

Tell me I’m nuts, used to it.

DDS? Duncan Derangement Syndrome

DDS? Duncan Derangement Syndrome

Could be...but day in and day out for all of those years I was in Utah, I'd take Karl Malone over Duncan any day of the week. And I can't stand the Jazz...but the dude carried that team and ALWAYS got the ball in the clutch. Stockton passed like nobodies business, but it was always Karl that was taking the big shot for those teams.

So I very well may have DDS, Samuel.

Could be...but day in and day out for all of those years I was in Utah, I'd take Karl Malone over Duncan any day of the week. And I can't stand the Jazz...but the dude carried that team and ALWAYS got the ball in the clutch. Stockton passed like nobodies business, but it was always Karl that was taking the big shot for those teams.

So I very well may have DDS, Samuel.

Next year for Christmas how about we do a gift exchange-- I will buy you a DUNCAN wall mural and you buy me a MAHOMES wall mural.

He’s an awful defender despite his athleticism.

And he’s an awful GM. He ruined every team he’s been on. Those rosters were his fault.

Disagree strongly about him being an awful defender....but you're dead on about being an awful GM. His ego is so damn huge that he has been playing HC, GM and star player for over a decade now...I've never seen a pro athlete catered to as much as this guy. It's ridiculous.

To match the Warriors combo of CURRY and DURANT which other star does LEBRON need to pair with to match Curry and Durant?

Any ideas

Anyone who recalls the moment they "became the greatest player of all time" can suck my fucking dick. No one can deny his talent but he is the definition of classless. I would categorize him in the same thug group as a convict who won the lottery. If you really want to know who someone is look at their parents. Case and point

Duncan's teams for his entire career were contenders and all with the same team.....he was the perennial all star center and shaq (doesn't even compare) was in the game...he wasn't a big cry baby like lebron...he didn't choke in the big games like lebron, he accepted the responsibility and didn't blame others for his short comings like lebron....he didn't go into the spotlight and proclaim himself the greatest like lebron (gag me with a spoon) and he didn't "take his talents to south beach" Lebron is a fantastic physical specimen with an IQ bazball wise that was out of this world but Duncan is the consummate basketball player

Back