Best College Running Back

ProV1Colt

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Let’s hear it…. I am gonna go a few different routes with this question

1. Who is the best college Running Back you have ever seen?

2. Who was your favorite Running Back you have ever seen?

3. Who is the best Running Back from Your Favorite Team?

I wanted to throw a few out there because you may have a favorite that’s not from your favorite school, or someone that wasn’t great but was your “style” RB or one you liked from afar….

Keep in mind, you have to have seen them play….. not just highlights…. This is gonna some of our ages lol.

And Go!

Ricky Williams may be the best college RB I've ever seen, and I'd have to say he was my favorite so I may be biased.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few but hopefully others chime in and we can discuss, but here are some honorable mentions for me...

Reggie Bush
Larry Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Ladanian Tomlinson
Willis McGahee
Edgerrin James

Ricky Williams may be the best college RB I've ever seen, and I'd have to say he was my favorite so I may be biased.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few but hopefully others chime in and we can discuss, but here are some honorable mentions for me...

Reggie Bush
Larry Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Ladanian Tomlinson
Willis McGahee
Edgerrin James
Pretty good one with Ricky. My Saints obv drafted him and I’m sure I motherfucked him here and there but he really did it his way. And his 2nd resurrection with Miami and that offense really not seen used to that extent at that point in the NFL(in my time). Then after football.
Obviously record breaker at UT

In person? That's how I'm treating it. As in I'm not throwing Eric Dickerson in or the bazillions we've seen since ESPN became mainstream

Best I've seen: Barry

Favorite I've seen: Lawrence Phillips

Best from my team: Troy Davis (sorry Breece but not really close)

I'm going to have to go seeing in games on TV as I haven't seen too many in person. There are so many, but for college I think of the Auburn RBs. I was watching college football on TV when Bo was there, but I actually never saw one of his games other than highlights. So I'm talking about Steven Davis, Rudy Johnson, Cadillac, Ronnie Brown. Those guys, man. The Rudy Johnson run vs Wyoming to cover is still one of my favorite ever betting memories.

So many great ones. Lawrence Phillips was a thoroughbred. But how about Ahman Green - great. I grew up a Nebraska fan in the late 80s and early 90s, so all those RBs were my favories. Derek Brown, Calvin Jones - and the Nebraska fullbacks! All of them, loved those FBs up the middle!

Oregon State had tremendous RBs as well, I liked all those guys from Ken Simonton, Jackson, Bernard, Rodgers

My favorite pro RBs Eric Dickerson and Ottis OJ Anderson. I loved Anderson when his career got a second life with the NY Giants. And there was just always something about Dickerson, I nearly idolized him as a kid. I liked Emmit Smith at Florida too, think Dallas had to move up to get him, I was a Cowboy fan in the 80s and 90s, I was pretty excited when they drafted him. Loved Hershel Walker too everywhere he ever was in the NFL I was a big fan of his.

I'm going to have to go seeing in games on TV as I haven't seen too many in person. There are so many, but for college I think of the Auburn RBs. I was watching college football on TV when Bo was there, but I actually never saw one of his games other than highlights. So I'm talking about Steven Davis, Rudy Johnson, Cadillac, Ronnie Brown. Those guys, man. The Rudy Johnson run vs Wyoming to cover is still one of my favorite ever betting memories.

So many great ones. Lawrence Phillips was a thoroughbred. But how about Ahman Green - great. I grew up a Nebraska fan in the late 80s and early 90s, so all those RBs were my favories. Derek Brown, Calvin Jones - and the Nebraska fullbacks! All of them, loved those FBs up the middle!

Oregon State had tremendous RBs as well, I liked all those guys from Ken Simonton, Jackson, Bernard, Rodgers

My favorite pro RBs Eric Dickerson and Ottis OJ Anderson. I loved Anderson when his career got a second life with the NY Giants. And there was just always something about Dickerson, I nearly idolized him as a kid. I liked Emmit Smith at Florida too, think Dallas had to move up to get him, I was a Cowboy fan in the 80s and 90s, I was pretty excited when they drafted him. Loved Hershel Walker too everywhere he ever was in the NFL I was a big fan of his.
Outside of Barry and Thurman growing up, Mike Rozier always left me pissed off...he was insanely great in that offense

Not sure I remember another NU or OU back really from the mid 80s but my memory sucks

Mackovicka (sp?) was one of those special Husker FBs

Outside of Barry and Thurman growing up, Mike Rozier always left me pissed off...he was insanely great in that offense

Not sure I remember another NU or OU back really from the mid 80s but my memory sucks

Mackovicka (sp?) was one of those special Husker FBs

Derek Brown and Calvin Jones each rushed for 1000 yards I'm pretty sure but they were like 90 or 91 I think. Ken Clark would've been one from the late 80s teams.

There were two Makovicka brothers. And everyone knows Schlesinger!

Reactions: KJ
Derek Brown and Calvin Jones each rushed for 1000 yards I'm pretty sure but they were like 90 or 91 I think. Ken Clark would've been one from the late 80s teams.

There were two Makovicka brothers. And everyone knows Schlesinger!
Amazing all of those crazy wishbone offenses between OU/NU growing up the only outstanding RB I remember is Rozier. Spencer Tillman I remember but he was QB.

Being from Alabama, I have to start with Bo Jackson. Incredible athlete. One of Alabama's huge recruiting blunders. That was early in my life, so I don't really remember watching him. From Alabama the school, I'd say Shaun Alexander and Derrick Henry all stick out as extraordinary backs. I love the others like Ingram, Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy, Kenyan Drake, Damien Harris, etc, but they don't pop the way those first 2 do. And TJ Yeldon will always have a special place in my heart for the 1st down he got against UGA in Atlanta as a freshman, and of course the screen pass at LSU. For non-Bama guys, it's Reggie Bush for me. Every time he touched the ball you knew something was going to happen

For real eyes on them, yea. Those Auburn RBs were insane. Brown and Caddy…

As far as favorite for the homer part.

Kevin Faulk for many reasons. Yes many know him for his SB rings with the GOAT, but he stayed home and LSU got back to the business of National Champ shit.
All Eyes On 3

As far as favorite for the homer part.

Kevin Faulk for many reasons. Yes many know him for his SB rings with the GOAT, but he stayed home and LSU got back to the business of National Champ shit.
All Eyes On 3

I remember him having that carved into his hair. They'd show him on the sideline with his helmet off "all eyes on 3" in his hair. I remember that right? He was the star, but pretty sure they had couple other real good backs at the same time?

@twinkie13 I looked it up in my old Phil Steele book, Cecil Collins and Rondell Mealey with Faulk. Yeah, that was a good group!
Cecil The Diesel was actually my time on campus. Really he could have been the best…troubled guy though but he was better than any of em

I remember him having that carved into his hair. They'd show him on the sideline with his helmet off "all eyes on 3" in his hair. I remember that right? He was the star, but pretty sure they had couple other real good backs at the same time?
He also was the 1st Big recruit to stay home in forever. Set a trend .

Love it!!

Keep Them coming

I totally forgot about Kevin Faulk good he was great even in NE.

And I forgot Ricky too damn I am glad I started this just to remind me.

Those Auburn RBs were just solid

Bo Knows!

And Bama I used to hate Henry too be that big and that fast. But you gotta admire someone that was gifted that body and talent

I wished I would have been able to see Earl Campbell and Jim Brown run wild.

Reggie Bush WOW he was just WOW.

I am surprised I haven’t heard Jerome Bettis yet? Surely we have some Irish fans on the site.

@s--k I was at the RCA Dome when ED ran for 4 TDs. Whata game it was Halloween of 88.
I’ve seen ED run and Marshall Faulk and Edgerrin James all run wild in the RCA Dome

Some Vols RBs I have loved to watch
James Little Man Stewart
Aaron Hayden
CobbWebb - Reggie Cobb & Chuck Webb
Travis Henry (I bumped into him at the UT Library and his legs were tree trunks) like a damn bowling ball
“Give the Ball to Jamal” - Jamal Lewis
I have a story about Jamal too that involves a pound of weed lol
Tony Thompson
Johnnie Jones

@s--k I was at the RCA Dome when ED ran for 4 TDs. Whata game it was Halloween of 88.

Was it Monday night? I remember a Colts game after I came in from trick or treating around the neighborhood, LOL!

Travis Henry (I bumped into him at the UT Library and his legs were tree trunks) like a damn bowling ball

Pretty sure Henry was the RB when they upset Florida on the rescheduled game at the end of the year? SportsCenter, maybe Kenny Mayne during the highlight said "Travis Henry's cookin steak" - just sounded so funny and odd that it has stuck with me.

Earl Campbell is the best I have ever seen
Bo Jackson is the best I have ever seen live but that was when he was a professional
I guess I will give the nod to Walter Payton as my favorite of all time. Maybe R Williams. For a good part of my life it was probably O.J. Simpson but that changed.
John Harvey was probably my favorite RB from my favorite college team

Also, if VY ever lined up as RB he is my answer for all of them.

Been watching CFB since 88 so even though his senior year, I didn't see much of Barry so I'll omit...

Ricky right up there... I'll say the best I saw...

90s had incredible backs...

Eddie George
Faulk
LT
Lawrence Phillips.

Looking back Clarett v McGahee was a complete stud RB show but the injury screwed that up

Those were two CFB stallions

Back