be careful Lane, you're messing with the big boys now

But will they love him after a 7-5 season intermixed with some huge losses?
(He's like the new chick you're dying to bang and she just won't give it up...once you're finally "in there" it never quite matches up to your expectations.)

All I know is that Lane Kiffin hasn't achieved anything as a HC...and was only co-OC @ USC...what the hell did he do to deserve UT's HC position?

Bring in Daddy? :36_11_6:

I hope that LOSING spirit of Peyton Manning @ UT rubs off on their current crop of QBs...4 years of Peyton @ UT = 4 years of Gator W's.....:shake:

don't appreciate the hate on Peyton Manning, but thats what a rivalry is for i guess. Anyways, the hot girl analogy is a new hear for me, but I find it VERY comparable.

personally I don't see anything wrong with what Kiffin is doing, BUT as long as uncle Urban is in Gainsville it won't matter.

WITH EACH WORD FROM KIFFIN’S MOUTH, AL DAVIS LOOKS SMARTER

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2009, 7:01 a.m.
Quickly, former Raiders coach Lane Kiffin is becoming a reliable source of comic relief in the world of college football. More impressively, the guy who was fired via a press conference that featured strong words and Power Point has managed to make his former boss look good.
As Raiders owner Al Davis told it in September 30, Kiffin had essentially become a chronic pain in the butt. And Kiffin’s behavior since he became head coach at Tennessee has done more to prove than to disprove that notion.
Most recently, Kiffin allegedly told a recruit from South Carolina that a decision to attend his in-state school would result in a career of meeting the fuel needs of his state’s automobile-driving residents.
In fairness to Kiffin, he denies making the comment.
Just like he might have denied accusing Florida coach Urban Meyer of cheating in the recruiting process if, you know, Kiffin’s words hadn’t been caught on tape.
Bottom line? Unless the Volunteers get back to the upper echelon of college football quickly, Kiffin will soon be able to add another “former” to his employment history.

Here is the thing..... People in Knox might love him right now for giving them a much needed shot in the arm, BUT, the man did himself a great injustice by opening his mouth. A 6-6 season will piss a lot of people off. With that schedule they got, they better go 8-4 and that'll be tough to do with the question marks they have. He has eaten up all his goodwill before the season even started.

Here is the thing..... People in Knox might love him right now for giving them a much needed shot in the arm, BUT, the man did himself a great injustice by opening his mouth. A 6-6 season will piss a lot of people off. With that schedule they got, they better go 8-4 and that'll be tough to do with the question marks they have. He has eaten up all his goodwill before the season even started.

Good point ETG..last year was rough in Knox, wonder how much time they are willing to give him?

I know all too well what it is like to transition being a UM fan.

I think the VOLS will take their lumps and get to 7-5 this year, but gotta give hima chance imo.

Good point ETG..last year was rough in Knox, wonder how much time they are willing to give him?

I know all too well what it is like to transition being a UM fan.

I think the VOLS will take their lumps and get to 7-5 this year, but gotta give hima chance imo.

UM is one of the great NCAA institutions...but CFB is a religion in the SEC...IMO, 7-5 and they'll be howling for the Kiffin & the ADs head...6-6 and I doubt he sees a 2nd year.

I know all this and wasn't arguing it, just saying UT was a Top 5 program in two different decades. Historic programs like UT don't stay down long. This is UT's first prolonged struggle in a long time. I believe every major program has had a bad run of 3 or 4 straight bad seasons since UT and Michigan were down. It has happened in the last 4 years and even then Tennessee went to a SEC title game. Tennessee will be back, I just hope it doesn't take 10 years and 4 coaches like Bama.[/quote]

:shake:

As an Oakland Raider fan my hate for Lane Kiffin runs deep...how about two coaches and three years?

I will never believe he's achieved anything deserving a shot at one of the best HC jobs in the NCAA.

Yes, I believe UT is one of the best HC positions in all of CFB............:cheers:

By no means do I think for sure he is a great hire. I'm taking a wait and see approach. As an alum and and fan I have to support the guy. All his BS comments have nothing to do with the on the field play which is all I care about.

couldnt agree with you more, Al Davis is a moron for getting rid of him, he was starting to turn that embarrassing franchise around finally. I love how he is stirring shit up in the SEC.

Mad...no offense but you do not know anything about the Oakland Raiders....:angry:

Kiffin killed this young teams spirit...MFer was 5-15 in Oakland...1-3 this year before he got canned for cause....:seeya:

Show me one ounce of proof he was "turning them around" or stop talking out your ass............:shake:

Tom Cable kept their young heads "in the game" and they beat a vastly improved Texans squad in Oaktown and a Tampa team in Tampa fighting for their playoff lives the last two games of the season...that is PROOF of turning a team around.

One more thing, this embarrassing franchise was last in the SuperBowl before 20+ other NFL franchisees. Come with facts or don't come at all...especially when you're disparaging one of the all-time great NFL teams.

Mully :cheers:

Mad...no offense but you do not know anything about the Oakland Raiders....:angry:

Kiffin killed this young teams spirit...MFer was 5-15 in Oakland...1-3 this year before he got canned for cause....:seeya:

Show me one ounce of proof he was "turning them around" or stop talking out your ass............:shake:

Tom Cable kept their young heads "in the game" and they beat a vastly improved Texans squad in Oaktown and a Tampa team in Tampa fighting for their playoff lives the last two games of the season...that is PROOF of turning a team around.

One more thing, this embarrassing franchise was last in the SuperBowl before 20+ other NFL franchisees. Come with facts or don't come at all...especially when you're disparaging one of the all-time great NFL teams.

Mully :cheers:

There are some people smoking some shit in here huh Mully?

Kiffin won't rebound from rocky start

Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:31 PM
<!-- Mike Condon -->

After spending the last three months looking mighty shaky tooling around Knoxville on a set of SEC training wheels, Lane Kiffin, the pugnacious new kid on the block, has finally found the comfort of the football field.<o></o>
Tuesday’s opening of spring practice at Tennessee didn’t come a moment too soon for the 33-year-old rookie college head coach. Being able to talk about his Volunteers and how they are shaping up for the 2009 season will be a welcomed departure from what has been an undeniably ugly offseason.<o></o>
In the coming weeks, it will be refreshing to hear about who’s emerging at right guard to fill the massive cleats of Anthony Parker or how All-America free safety Eric Berry feels about the new defensive scheme, which figures to feature a lot of NFL-style “Tampa Two.”<o></o>
Up until now, most everything emanating from Rocky Top has been at best rocky bottom.<o></o>
Kiffin has seemingly spent every moment since being hired on Dec. 1, digging a monstrous hole for himself. Guaranteeing victory over Florida was one of the first things he did. Gutsy, yes. Smart, no.<o></o>
He followed that up by falsely accusing Urban Meyer of a recruiting violation. A stern reprimand by the SEC and a public apology from Kiffin were next. Alabama and Georgia also felt the affect of the first stages of Hurricane Lane.<o></o>
Then, he had his own trio of recruiting violations. Minor infractions, but legit nonetheless.<o></o>
Lots of news. None of it positive.<o></o>
Kiffin and his supporters are saying it's all part of the plan. We don’t buy it.<o></o>
Continually screwing up is not how to start a new job, I don’t care how you spin it and if some people are actually foolish enough to believe that this is a well-planned campaign to burst upon the scene.<o></o>
Guess what, Tennessee was already on the scene. Say what you want about Phillip Fulmer, who won the first BCS national title in 1998 and captured the SEC East four times since then (most recently all the way back in 2007), but the Volunteers are not a fixer-upper. Tennessee is in no way a program that should be stooping to garner all the “at least they spelled our name right” publicity it can get.<o></o>
And because of this ignominious start, there is probably no end in sight. Kiffin has spent so much time with both feet in his mouth that he’s now under an incredibly intense microscope. From now on you can expect regular doses of reports about him -- good, bad or indifferent -- in the mainstream and blogosphere. He’s now the Britney Spears of college football.<o></o>
The latest allegations contend that he told a recruit from South Carolina, who chose the Gamecocks over Tennessee and Southern California, that he would “end up pumping gas for the rest of his life, like everyone else who played for South Carolina.” Kiffin flatly denied that he ever said that.<o></o>
No word yet on if he will call the player in question, wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, and his high school coach, Walter Wilson, liars. Reportedly they were both listening to Kiffin’s last-ditch effort via a speakerphone, along with another high school football player.<o></o>
Assuming that there is at least some truth to the rude prediction, perhaps attributed to a combination of youthful inexperience and pressure to succeed, it’s interesting to consider what would have happened if Jeffery told Kiffin that he was going to the West Coast USC and not the East Coast one.<o></o>
How would the former Southern California assistant coach have played that hand? You wouldn’t think that he’d lash into the Trojans and his mentor Pete Carroll. But who really knows with this guy?<o></o>
Making waves is nothing new to Kiffin. He did lots of that during his brief tenure as the head coach of the Oakland Raiders. Of course, those stormy seas up in the Bay Area weren’t entirely of his own making, but he certainly did his share to rock the Raider boat.<o></o>
Al Davis is as wacky as they come, but he did make some points that are worth debating. We won’t do that here, but it is crystal clear that the Raiders were a complete failure on the field.<o></o>
So, the questions have to be asked. What exactly fuels this arrogance? What has Kiffin really done to deserve this lofty post? What was Tennessee thinking?<o></o>
Advocates will state that he did a great job at USC and is the next “Pete Carroll.” USC was a juggernaut when Kiffin served as an assistant coach there. That is certainly true. However, when he was promoted to become the Trojan offensive coordinator for two seasons (2005-06), there were costly missteps.<o></o>
Lost amid the stunning brilliance of Vince Young and the dramatic ending of the 2006 Rose Bowl/BCS title game, was USC’s utterly inept showing on crucial short-yardage plays from the first quarter to the final minutes. Either choosing to be too cute with play calls or too stubbornly arrogant to use Matt Leinart, LenDale White and Reggie Bush in the backfield at the same time, the Trojans lost the ball on downs one too many times.<o></o>
Eleven months later, in the same Pasadena location, the Trojans needed only to beat a beleaguered 6-5 UCLA team in the regular-season finale to advance to another BCS title game. But Kiffin’s offense laid a gargantuan egg, not even breaking into double-digits in an embarrassing 13-9 loss to the Bruins. (And then, of course, Florida went on to slaughter Ohio State for the crystal football instead of the Trojans.)<o></o>
One can understand the desire to hire “the next Pete Carroll,” but let’s remember that Carroll had actual accomplishments on his resume before lucking out and finding his comfort zone at USC. A winning record as an NFL head coach (33-31), along with six seasons as a highly-respected defensive coordinator, isn’t shabby.<o></o>
Perhaps more importantly, Carroll -- and all the other head coaches in the country -- knows how to behave.<o></o>
The Vols will find out the hard way. But that will ultimately come in a year or two. At least for now, we have spring football to obscure the weekly foibles of Lane Kiffin.<o></o>
Or do we?<o></o>
Stay tuned.

Kiffin won't rebound from rocky start

Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:31 PM
<!-- Mike Condon -->

After spending the last three months looking mighty shaky tooling around Knoxville on a set of SEC training wheels, Lane Kiffin, the pugnacious new kid on the block, has finally found the comfort of the football field.<o></o>
Tuesday’s opening of spring practice at Tennessee didn’t come a moment too soon for the 33-year-old rookie college head coach. Being able to talk about his Volunteers and how they are shaping up for the 2009 season will be a welcomed departure from what has been an undeniably ugly offseason.<o></o>
In the coming weeks, it will be refreshing to hear about who’s emerging at right guard to fill the massive cleats of Anthony Parker or how All-America free safety Eric Berry feels about the new defensive scheme, which figures to feature a lot of NFL-style “Tampa Two.”<o></o>
Up until now, most everything emanating from Rocky Top has been at best rocky bottom.<o></o>
Kiffin has seemingly spent every moment since being hired on Dec. 1, digging a monstrous hole for himself. Guaranteeing victory over Florida was one of the first things he did. Gutsy, yes. Smart, no.<o></o>
He followed that up by falsely accusing Urban Meyer of a recruiting violation. A stern reprimand by the SEC and a public apology from Kiffin were next. Alabama and Georgia also felt the affect of the first stages of Hurricane Lane.<o></o>
Then, he had his own trio of recruiting violations. Minor infractions, but legit nonetheless.<o></o>
Lots of news. None of it positive.<o></o>
Kiffin and his supporters are saying it's all part of the plan. We don’t buy it.<o></o>
Continually screwing up is not how to start a new job, I don’t care how you spin it and if some people are actually foolish enough to believe that this is a well-planned campaign to burst upon the scene.<o></o>
Guess what, Tennessee was already on the scene. Say what you want about Phillip Fulmer, who won the first BCS national title in 1998 and captured the SEC East four times since then (most recently all the way back in 2007), but the Volunteers are not a fixer-upper. Tennessee is in no way a program that should be stooping to garner all the “at least they spelled our name right” publicity it can get.<o></o>
And because of this ignominious start, there is probably no end in sight. Kiffin has spent so much time with both feet in his mouth that he’s now under an incredibly intense microscope. From now on you can expect regular doses of reports about him -- good, bad or indifferent -- in the mainstream and blogosphere. He’s now the Britney Spears of college football.<o></o>
The latest allegations contend that he told a recruit from South Carolina, who chose the Gamecocks over Tennessee and Southern California, that he would “end up pumping gas for the rest of his life, like everyone else who played for South Carolina.” Kiffin flatly denied that he ever said that.<o></o>
No word yet on if he will call the player in question, wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, and his high school coach, Walter Wilson, liars. Reportedly they were both listening to Kiffin’s last-ditch effort via a speakerphone, along with another high school football player.<o></o>
Assuming that there is at least some truth to the rude prediction, perhaps attributed to a combination of youthful inexperience and pressure to succeed, it’s interesting to consider what would have happened if Jeffery told Kiffin that he was going to the West Coast USC and not the East Coast one.<o></o>
How would the former Southern California assistant coach have played that hand? You wouldn’t think that he’d lash into the Trojans and his mentor Pete Carroll. But who really knows with this guy?<o></o>
Making waves is nothing new to Kiffin. He did lots of that during his brief tenure as the head coach of the Oakland Raiders. Of course, those stormy seas up in the Bay Area weren’t entirely of his own making, but he certainly did his share to rock the Raider boat.<o></o>
Al Davis is as wacky as they come, but he did make some points that are worth debating. We won’t do that here, but it is crystal clear that the Raiders were a complete failure on the field.<o></o>
So, the questions have to be asked. What exactly fuels this arrogance? What has Kiffin really done to deserve this lofty post? What was Tennessee thinking?<o></o>
Advocates will state that he did a great job at USC and is the next “Pete Carroll.” USC was a juggernaut when Kiffin served as an assistant coach there. That is certainly true. However, when he was promoted to become the Trojan offensive coordinator for two seasons (2005-06), there were costly missteps.<o></o>
Lost amid the stunning brilliance of Vince Young and the dramatic ending of the 2006 Rose Bowl/BCS title game, was USC’s utterly inept showing on crucial short-yardage plays from the first quarter to the final minutes. Either choosing to be too cute with play calls or too stubbornly arrogant to use Matt Leinart, LenDale White and Reggie Bush in the backfield at the same time, the Trojans lost the ball on downs one too many times.<o></o>
Eleven months later, in the same Pasadena location, the Trojans needed only to beat a beleaguered 6-5 UCLA team in the regular-season finale to advance to another BCS title game. But Kiffin’s offense laid a gargantuan egg, not even breaking into double-digits in an embarrassing 13-9 loss to the Bruins. (And then, of course, Florida went on to slaughter Ohio State for the crystal football instead of the Trojans.)<o></o>
One can understand the desire to hire “the next Pete Carroll,” but let’s remember that Carroll had actual accomplishments on his resume before lucking out and finding his comfort zone at USC. A winning record as an NFL head coach (33-31), along with six seasons as a highly-respected defensive coordinator, isn’t shabby.<o></o>
Perhaps more importantly, Carroll -- and all the other head coaches in the country -- knows how to behave.<o></o>
The Vols will find out the hard way. But that will ultimately come in a year or two. At least for now, we have spring football to obscure the weekly foibles of Lane Kiffin.<o></o>
Or do we?<o></o>
Stay tuned.

The Britney Spears of college football:36_11_6:

Back