be careful Lane, you're messing with the big boys now

Nice, stepping right into the rivalry.

No doubt Urban, although a great coach, is shady as hell. That being said, be an interesting response.

Lane has some moxie no doubt.

Was checking to see if this was posted.

WOW!

This upcoming season is going to be nothing short of spectacular.

Ah, motivation. This'll be a nice reason to run it up on this jackass.

Chomp. Chomp.

:smiley_acbe::smiley_acbe::smiley_acbe:

Tell Lane to see what happened to UGA this year after pulling their "celebration" BS in 2007 (and pissing Urban off)..........49-10, baby.

I like Lane Kiffin

Dudes not scared of anyone....

Now, maybe he should be, but I like how he rolls

:36_11_6:

Lane's trying his best to stoke a rivalry that has been DOMINATED by The Gators for 40 years...too bad he didn't show any cajones in the NFL.

I was a big fan of beating Fat Phil and until this I didn't really have a feeling one way or another about Kiffin. Now I want to run him out of the stadium.

They come to the Swamp this year. I can't wait to see Monte realize his defense isn't suddenly stocked with NFL talent.

I'm fine with the Gators putting up 50 on this team.

JP,
this is the first time I don't like you.

All good friendships have their rough patches, TM. We'll get past it.

=)

I was a big fan of beating Fat Phil and until this I didn't really have a feeling one way or another about Kiffin. Now I want to run him out of the stadium.

They come to the Swamp this year. I can't wait to see Monte realize his defense isn't suddenly stocked with NFL talent.

I'm fine with the Gators putting up 50 on this team.

:cheers:

Tampa 2 Zone gonna get abused...Kiffin The Elder gonna let our fast'uns catch the ball in front of them and then TRY and tackle 'em? :36_11_6:

Nothing like getting bitched around all day. It can't feel good to be bent over and grabbing ur ankles twice in 1 day

First there is UF:

2:23 PM ET: Florida isn't going to let this pass. This statement was just released from Gators AD Jeremy Foley:
"There was no rule violation and we have confirmed this with Southeastern Conference. It is obvious that Coach Kiffin doesn’t know
that there is not a rule precluding phone contact with a prospect during an official visit on another campus during a contact period.
"His allegations are inappropriate, out of line and, most importantly, totally false. It is completely unfair to Urban Meyer, our coaching staff, our football program and our institution. The appropriate action at this time in my opinion is for Coach Kiffin to make a public apology. His comments not only slandered our coach, but he violated SEC rules by publicly criticizing another coach and institution."

Then there is the SEC

Florida gets its wish: Kiffin reprimanded

Posted on: February 5, 2009 4:27 pm
Edited on: February 5, 2009 4:48 pm

Score: 95
Part III of our post-signing day snit comes from the SEC. This is a press release from the conference. Notice the final paragraph where the league takes it's own shot at Kiffin's NCAA rules knowledge.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Southeastern Conference Commissioner Mike Slive has issued a public reprimand to University of Tennessee head football coach Lane Kiffin for his public comments made earlier today.
"Coach Kiffin has violated the Southeastern Conference Code of Ethics," Slive said. "SEC Bylaw 10.5.1 clearly states that coaches and administrators shall refrain from directed public criticism of other member institutions, their staffs or players."
"The phone call to which Coach Kiffin referred to in his public comments is not a violation of SEC or NCAA rules. We expect our coaches to have an understanding and knowledge of conference and NCAA rules."

and finally, Kiffin swallows

Kiffin reprimanded by SEC, apologizes

<HR width="100%" noShade SIZE=1>ESPN.com news services

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin apologized Thursday for remarks he made about Florida coach Urban Meyer, where he alleged the Gators coach violated recruiting rules in pursuing wide receiver prospect Nu'Keese Richardson.<INLINE1>

Florida demanded an apology and the SEC publicly reprimanded Kiffin on Thursday.

"At an energetic breakfast with some of our donors and alumni I made a statement that was solely meant to excite the crowd," Kiffin said in a statement.

"If I offended anyone at the University of Florida, including Mr. Foley and Urban Meyer, I sincerely apologize. That was not my intention."

WVLT-TV reported that Kiffin told a group of fans at a signing day breakfast celebration Thursday morning that Meyer phoned Richardson while the recruit was making his official visit to Tennessee recently.

"I'm gonna turn Florida in right here in front of you," Kiffin said, according to WVLT-TV. "While Nu'Keese was on campus, his phone kept ringing. One of the coaches says, 'who's that?' And he said, 'Urban Meyer.' "<INLINE2>

Richardson, a Pahokee, Fla., native, signed with the Volunteers on Tuesday, despite having indicated he would sign with the Gators.

Kiffin told the crowd, "I love the fact that Urban had to cheat and still didn't get him."

The SEC said that Kiffin broke the conference's code of ethics with his comments at the breakfast.

"Coach Kiffin has violated the Southeastern Conference Code of Ethics," SEC commissioner Mike Slive said in a statement. "SEC Bylaw 10.5.1 clearly states that coaches and administrators shall refrain from directed public criticism of other member institutions, their staffs or players."

"The phone call to which Coach Kiffin referred to in his public comments is not a violation of SEC or NCAA rules. We expect our coaches to have an understanding and knowledge of conference and NCAA rules."<INLINE3>

In a statement released Thursday, Florida demanded an apology from Kiffin.

"His allegations are inappropriate, out of line and, most importantly, totally false," Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley said in the statement. "It is completely unfair to Urban Meyer, our coaching staff, our football program and our institution. The appropriate action at this time in my opinion is for Coach Kiffin to make a public apology.

Is the media (BSPN) ready to issue a mea culpa to Mr. Davis?

AD stated that Kiffin was a lying prick in Oakland...and everyone scoffed.

Seems Lane has already proven him correct...Urban is going to ABUSE this fool.

"If I offended anyone at the University of Florida, including Mr. Foley and Urban Meyer, I sincerely apologize. That was not my intention."

Liar.

Either that or he's just flat out stupid, which I don't believe.

I actually think Monte might be able to adapt to the college game, but not in one year, no way. I feel a lot of touchdowns in Gainseville on Sept. 19th.

Lane's trying his best to stoke a rivalry that has been DOMINATED by The Gators for 40 years...too bad he didn't show any cajones in the NFL.

Interesting that a rivalry in which both teams have won the same number of games is being 'dominated'. I shouldn't expect much from Florida fans, they've only had a football program for twenty years.

I love it. I love everything hes done since hes come in. Coachnig staff might be the best in college football top to bottom (already the most costly).

Solid recruiting class. Will be better if he locks down Oku to play some tailback for us.

Not sure how you can say this...the alltime record is 19-19.

Ok I take it back Mulligan, you are correct. Theyve played 38 times since 1916....18 of Florida's wins have been in the last 40 years (since 1969)

Florida is 18-8 against the Vols since 1969

Good stats Mulligan

wowzers

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...preps/entries/2009/02/05/kiffin_pretende.html

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><!-- Alert head here

Alert text here

-->Home > Inside Preps > Archives > 2009 > February > 05 > Entry
<!--COMMON --><!--BYLINE--><!--ORG LINE --><!--RELATED CONTENT PODCASTS --><!--RELATED CONTENT BOX --><!----- COMPILATIONS OF PARTS BELOW ----><!--DONT DELETE THIS LOCAL INCLUDE -->Kiffin pretended to be Nu’Keese while texting

By Jason Lieser | Thursday, February 5, 2009, 06:09 PM

It’s funny that Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin brought up the issue of cell phone use. It seems ironic considering he did something strange — not a violation, but definitely odd — with Nu’Keese Richardson’s phone while Richardson was in Knoxville, Tenn., last weekend.
Kiffin and Richardson sat next to each other Saturday at Tennessee’s Thompson-Boling Arena for the Volunteers’ basketball game against Florida. When Pahokee coach Blaze Thompson texted Richardson to inquire about the trip, Kiffin was looking over Richardson’s shoulder to monitor the phone — no doubt spooked by Florida coach Urban Meyer’s earlier phone calls.
What he did next might be the strangest element of Richardson’s recruitment. Kiffin asked for the phone and began texting Thompson, pretending he was Richardson.
Thompson had sent a message to Richardson asking if he was enjoying the basketball game and his visit. He got the following response from Richardson’s phone, as he recalled it: “Yes. I love it. My decision is made.”
But Kiffin was the one punching keys.
Richardson confirmed the incident Thursday, though he said the whole thing was a “joke.” Thompson clearly did not find it humorous. He also did not find it funny that Kiffin’s staff had circumvented him at several key points in Richardson’s recruitment.
In any case, what is a college coach doing with a recruit’s phone?
“I don’t know,” Thompson said, shaking his head.
I don’t know, either. I do know, though, that there would have been far fewer questions about cell phones if Kiffin hadn’t brought up the topic. Earlier today he accused Meyer of cheating by calling Richardson during his visit. The SEC pointed out that it was not a recruiting violation and admonished Kiffin for his lack of knowledge on the rules.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gato...ch-confused-saddened-by-kiffins-comments.html

Pahokee coach confused, saddened by Kiffin's comments

GAINESVILLE -- Florida wasn't the only school Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin took a shot at on Thursday. The Vols' coach also called into question the people at Pahokee Middle/High School.
While addressing a crowd of about 1,000 people at the Knoxville Convention Center, Kiffin said that receiving a faxed National Letter of Intent from Pahokee receiver Nu'Keese Richrdson on Wednesday was made difficult by the staff at Pahokee. Kiffin inferred that Pahokee High wanted to somehow prevent Richardson from signing with UT.
"You can't understand how hard this is to get done," Kiffin said. "[UT assistant coach] Eddie [Gran] had this set up at 7 o'clock in the morning. [Richardson's aunts] got the papers signed by the kid. They didn't go do it at the school because they knew somebody at the school was going to screw it up. The fax machine wouldn't work, or they would have changed the signatures, all the things that go on in Pahokee now. The aunts took it over to a junior high, found a fax machine that worked and faxed them over to us at 7 o'clock, and I kept it in a drawer till their 1 o'clock press conference."
Pahokee coach Blaze Thompson said on Thursday he was "confused" by Kiffin's comments. For starters, there isn't a junior high in Pahokee. Pahokee High School and Pahokee Middle are the same school. Thompson said that Kiffin must have been talking about Pahokee Elementary, where Richardson's aunt works.
Thompson said that he has been friends with the Richardson family for 20 years and also said, "I wouldn't think they would say something like that about me."
Thompson was troubled by Kiffin's apparent fear that Pahokee had the intentions to somehow sabotage Richardson's attempt to fax his National Letter of Intent to Tennessee.

"I'm just confused," Thompson said. "I don't know where he would get we screw up faxes or change signatures. No player here has ever been coerced by me or anyone else at the school to go to one school or the other. Pahokee is certainly not a Florida school. [UF cornerback] Janoris [Jenkins] was our first to go there in a long time. We would have been proud for [Richardson] to go to Florida but we're just
as proud he went to Tennessee, although with these statements, I'm confused why [Kiffin] would bash a school he would get a commitment from."

Thompson said he looks forward to speaking with Kiffin and "hearing what this is all about."

"We have to deal with Tennessee and we're going to maintain a professional relationship with them," Thompson said. "They've got a great kid and a great player. We've never had anyone at Tennessee and we're excited about it. This is really sad that Coach Kiffin would make these kinds of statements.

"You put your heart into working with kids and any time your professionalism or your character is questioned it takes you back and makes you concerned."

I think its great, he's already one of my favorite human beings on the planet. Pissing off Al Davis and then Urban Meyer. The guy has to be awesome.

Didnt Fat Phil win a national championship?
What does this fool have to fall back on when things go further south?

Didnt Fat Phil win a national championship?
What does this fool have to fall back on when things go further south?

Yes, Phil (fuck you for saying he is fat, asshole) did win a NC in 1998 (the first year of the BCS).

I will agree with the person that said Lane will either be a huge success or a huge failure. I think that he has put the staff in place that can be very successful to attract top notch recruits. I have yet to see how Lane's personality can hold up in SEC country, which IMO is going to test him more than the raiders gig. The fickle fans at UT will turn on you quicker than a week old casserole.

That being said, if a Qb can develop for 2009, i think UT could be suprisingly good. Their D might lose a step on the line, but the secondary and lb's should still be at an elite level. Lennon Creer is really close to breaking out and being a top level back in the SEC.

I hate Urban Meyer as much as the next guy. But if Lane keeps up these BS antics, especially the one about texting who he thought was Urban on a recruits phone, then he is in for a short stint at UT. He is very cocky, which can be a plus unless you let it overshadow what is trying to be accomplished. I have a feeling that Lane might be in over his head even with his daddy holding his hand.

Lane needs to call out people with his team's play on the field, not his mouth. Even Meyer and Saban know when to stop talking and let fball do the talking.

I love it. I love everything hes done since hes come in. Coachnig staff might be the best in college football top to bottom (already the most costly).

Solid recruiting class. Will be better if he locks down Oku to play some tailback for us.
Yeah, solid recruiters... but who the hell are they going to recruit when they are blackballed from half of southeastern schools?

Yeah, solid recruiters... but who the hell are they going to recruit when they are blackballed from half of southeastern schools?

Not blackballed yet......I hear he plans on reading the rulebook for next season :smiley_acbe:

I'm betting Florida when they play Tenn next season. Urban going to embarrass the kid to welcome him to the SEC

:shake:

I agree. Lane is writing a check that his ass cannot cash.

He's playing in the wrong sandbox....

and they meet @ the swamp too.

Interesting that a rivalry in which both teams have won the same number of games is being 'dominated'. I shouldn't expect much from Florida fans, they've only had a football program for twenty years.

You've never heard of the 1966 Heisman winner? A little ole QB from Gainesville named Spurrier?

You also obviously do not read posts in response to your UT ramblings. My post from 2/2 in reply to your idiotic "these things run in cycles":

Gators (.706) have DOMINATED Tennessee since 1992 (when the SEC split into two divisions and they started playing annually):

GATORS 12 (1993, '94 - '97...Peyton Manning Years, '99, 2000, '02, '05 - '08)

VOLS 5 ('92, '98, '01, '03, '04)

(Just be thankful you're not UGA...Gators 14 UGA 3 since '92, an .824 winning percentage.)

In fact, as I mentioned, over the last 40 years the Gators are 18-8 vs. Tennessee...truly one LONG cycle my SEC brotha...........:shake:

Mully :cheers:

Last edited:
Ok I take it back Mulligan, you are correct. Theyve played 38 times since 1916....18 of Florida's wins have been in the last 40 years (since 1969)

Florida is 18-8 against the Vols since 1969

Good stats Mulligan

:shake: 12-5 (.706) since '92...when the SEC split into E/W divisions.

Last edited:
What did Kiffen accomplish?

Pahokee wide receiver Nu’Keese Richardson is a very good prospect, a fast little guy who can do a lot of things with the ball in his hands. But he’s not exactly Andre Debose or Jelani Jenkins or Gary Brown, the elite prospects in Florida’s recruiting class.
So, really, losing Richardson to Tennessee on signing day wasn’t all that big a deal. Wide receivers like him come along every year. But the way Lane Kiffin is spinning his big signing day coup, you’d think he’d stolen the Pope from under the Vatican’s nose, bragging about how the Vols duped Urban Meyer and the Gators.

Richardson committed to the Gators way back in May 2008 and had been solid throughout the recruiting process. Then he made a relatively secretive visit to Knoxville last weekend and Kiffin sold him on being a Vol. To make sure it happened on signing day, Kiffin plotted a plan to mislead Florida and everyone else, including Edward Aschoff, who covers recruiting for The Sun and Gatorsports.com.

Kiffin revealed the story at a recruiting celebration breakfast Thursday morning in Knoxville, the same event where he falsely accused Urban Meyer of an NCAA violation in the recruitment of Richardson. (Kiffin was later reprimanded by the SEC and apologized to Meyer and UF).
He set up the story by saying how difficult it is for an out-of-state school to pluck a top player out of Pahokee.

"Let me break this down so that you guys understand in recruiting what this means to get this done," he said. "Pahokee is probably the hardest area in Florida to ever go into as an out-of-state school or a school not named Florida Gators and get a guy. And for (assistant coach) Eddie Gran to be hired only less than three weeks ago to go down in there. ... For those of you who haven't been to Pahokee, there ain't much going on.

"You take that hour drive up from south Florida, there ain't a gas station that works. Nobody's got enough money to even have shoes or a shirt on. This is an area that great players have come from for years, but you've got to have the right guy to go in there. If we didn't have Eddie Gran on our staff, we probably don't get in the school.

"Nu'Keese was a champion the whole way through. We set the whole thing up. Nu'Keese came out and said at one point, I believe on Friday in the Miami paper, that he wasn't even coming to visit us. We had a great plan to steer Florida away from this guy so they thought we weren't getting him. The pressure would stay off of him. They'd think they still had him."
After Richardson committed to Kiffin on his visit last weekend, Kiffin instructed Richardson to lie about remaining committed to Florida. And he did. Only hours before Richardson's scheduled announcement at Pahokee, Aschoff texted Richardson to try and find out what his decision was going to be. Richardson replied that he was going to sign with the Gators (the UF coaches were assuming this as well).

At the ceremony, Richardson stunned everyone when he picked up a UF hat and then tossed it on the ground. The audience gasped when he pulled on a UT cap.

"You can't understand how hard this is to get done," Kiffin said. "(Gran) had this set up at 7 o'clock in the morning. They (Richardson's aunts) got the papers signed by the kid. They didn't go do it at the school because they knew somebody at the school was going to screw it up. The fax machine wouldn't work, or they would have changed signatures, all the things that go on in Pahokee now. The aunts took it over to a junior high, found a fax machine and faxed them over to us at 7 o'clock, and I kept it in a drawer until their 1 o'clock press conference."

Two things jump out about this.
One, we don't know if Richardson will catch any passes for Kiffin, but we do know he'll lie for him.
Two, good luck ever going back into Pahokee again. The way Kiffin dissed the school in that last quote, he'll probably be banned for life.

So, was all this really worth it for a relatively insignificant recruiting coup?

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20090206/ARTICLES/902060928

i'm so thankful for Saban after reading Kiffin's quotes above. class less, looking for attention, and a motor mouth to boot.

Kiffin is obviously pretty new to big-time college recruiting to let this level of detail out of the bag...

Tennessee goes to the Swamp...what...the 3rd game of the season? Not sure the LVSC can make that line high enough. Have a good feeling the Gators will give Kiffin a proper welcome to SEC football.

Kiffin better worry about handling SCary and Kentucky before he starts poking at the big bear.

well i was that guy in knoxville last year. tailgated right behind the 98 squad they honored pregame. managed to not die though.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sp...-early-for-tennessee-to-fire-lane-kiffin.html
Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin is an even bigger buffoon than originally thought. Not only did the new Tennessee coach falsely accuse Florida coach Urban Meyer of breaking NCAA rules last week, now it comes out in the Knoxville News-Sentinel that Kiffin himself cheated in the days leading up to National Signing Day.

You heard me, UT's administration self-reported some secondary recruiting violations by Kiffin and his staff. One of the violations involved using a fog machine to introduce recruits as they entered the stadium in simulated a game-day experience. The other violation had recruits participating in a mock news conference during their official visits.

The first question of the fake news conference should have been: "Um, Coach Kiffin, why are you such boob?"
It's no wonder, one Tennessee columnist, Ron Higgins of the Memphis Commercial-Appeal, has started referring to Kiffin as "Boy Blunder." It's also no wonder that in an Internet poll run by the News-Sentinel, Tennessee fans sadly and overwhelmingly have said they support Kiffin's idiocy.

You want to know how dumb Kiffin is? He actually told school officials, according to the News-Sentinel, that he believed the use of the fog machine "was permissible because he had seen it used while employed at another school. That (school) was most likely Southern California, where Kiffin was an assistant coach for six seasons."

So let's review, shall we? Kiffin lied about Urban Meyer breaking the rules, broke the rules himself, ratted out Pete Carroll at Southern Cal, told a recruit to publicly lie and impugned the integrity of Pahokee High School.
Phil Fulmer never looked so good.
I think it's about time we changed the last line of the school's famous fight song:
Good ol' Rocky Top, Rocky Top TenneSleaze.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]FINEBAUM: Tennessee must cut its ties with Kiffin - Page 2[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
It probably made Tennessee fans yearn for the good old days when the Vols' coach was referred to as the "Big Orange Pumpkin."
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Sure, getting rid of Kiffin now would be unprecedented and expensive. However, I'm sure even Tennessee fans with a working brain would admit his career is DOA. Besides, Alabama dumped Mike Price in 2003 before he ever coached a game. But Price's much-publicized encounter in Pensacola now seems tame compared to what "Lame" has done. [/FONT]
I offer this counsel not only as a sports commentator but as an alumnus of the University of Tennessee. It has become increasingly painful to watch the abhorrent mismanagement of the football program by Hamilton. This man probably should have lost his job after his shaky dealings with Phillip Fulmer (giving him a new contract, including a $6 million buyout several months before firing him). However, his handling of Kiffin has been even more shameful.
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Not only was Hamilton present when Kiffin made his imbecilic remarks last week, he seemed to be beaming with pride in the aftermath. [/FONT]
What's even more disgraceful is that Tennessee has world-class people in other sports. Instead of Knoxville buzzing Friday morning after Pat Summitt made history by becoming the winningest coach in history, fans were running for cover because of Kiffin's stupidity.
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tennessee has another nationally respected figure in Bruce Pearl as well. But nothing up there seems to matter now but Kiffin's youthful offender status. [/FONT]
Gruden would be the perfect replacement. He is available and anxious, having just shockingly lost his job with the Tampa Bay Bucs. His résumé is spectacular, with a Super Bowl championship ring. He actually won with the Oakland Raiders, going 38-26 vs. Kiffin's 5-15. He would get Tennessee immediately back on track. Besides, if UT delays, Gruden will get snapped up by Notre Dame or another major school next year and be gone forever.
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Gruden also has solid Tennessee connections, having been a graduate assistant for two years under John Majors. His wife, Cindy, was a UT cheerleader. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]He was also reportedly Tennessee's top choice but showed no interest, believing his future was safe in Tampa where Kiffin's father, Monte, was his defensive coordinator. [/FONT]
Tennessee can act like there isn't a problem with Kiffin. Yet, the big clock is already ticking in Knoxville. Instead of being known as the coach who conquers Urban Meyer and Nick Saban, his nickname will soon be "Lame duck Lane." He might be the first coach in SEC history to be No. 1 on the Coaches' Hot Seat list before even his first spring game.
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]As soon as he gets blasted by the big guns of the league, including Mark Richt and Steve Spurrier, the fans will turn on him much like they did on Fulmer. His recruiting will become increasingly difficult and an already terrible situation will turn into a complete disaster. [/FONT]
So, as a UT alumnus and as an ardent fan of SEC football, I strongly suggest that Tennessee officials do the right thing. Get rid of him now. Bring in Gruden, someone who will be a rock star in the league as opposed to Kiffin — who seems better suited for open mic night at the local comedy club.
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fire Lane Kiffin. Hire Jon Gruden. End this madness. [/FONT]

http://www.al.com/sports/press-regi...sports/1234260911102670.xml&coll=3&thispage=2

layla-kiffin-5.jpg

Back