Baseball Cappers wanted - its past April, time to pony up with commitments

scdoggy

Moderator (Honorary)
Hey fellas. I've tried to get a plan in place for baseball cappers on other sites with minimal success. If there are a few of you that are willing to participate, I'd love to get this going here. The plan is as follows:

Each capper picks a mid market team. Teams that are not eligible are:

Yankees
Red Sox
Dodgers
Cubs
Mets

Ideally I'm looking for people that follow: Brewers, Marlins, Pirates, etc... The more obscure the better. I want to get the games that have lower handles. Think about it, with so many games each night, which games are the linesmakers going to spen less time reseraching. Yankees/RedSox or Pirates/Diamondbacks? We're looking for those diamonds in the rough here.

Anyhow once you pick your team, you are obligated to know these guys inside and out. I realize with bases its difficult to watch every single game, but with Tivo and the MLB package - you should be able to come pretty damn close. By watching the games each night, you pick up things that aren't revealed in the morning paper's box score.

So you will be the in house expert who provides a writeup and analysis for each game. You don't have to bet on the game every night, but give the forum analysis on why you think the fave,dog or total is the best play - or if you're passing on the game let us know why.

If we can get 3-4 guys to really committ to this, it can benefit all of us in the long run. One more thing - try and make it a team you aren't a fan of, if you tend to get emotionally attached. We don't want homers telling us the Devil Rays are going to beat the Yankees every night.

If one of the Mods could make this a sticky since we're a long way from opening day, that would help.

Let me know who's interested. I'm offering to take Baltimore....

ill do white sox. kenny williams is an idiot and is selling me crap right now. more later.

Last edited:
Thanks B.A.R.

Brewer. Perfect. White Sox are yours. Just start a daily White Sox thread come opening day. track your record each day in the thread. I'm curious how we'll do as a group. Like I said, I've always wanted to get this going, but support is always hard to find. Plus the MLB season is a marathon and people usually drop out by the second or third month.

I'm down, I am a full time yanks fan but can become part time reporter for another team..

Trying to decide between Reds, DBacks, Twins

I can do pirates as i reside in that market and can watch damn near every single game. Plus i have i hear the local homer media and get all of the post game press conferences.

I can do pirates as i reside in that market and can watch damn near every single game. Plus i have i hear the local homer media and get all of the post game press conferences.

i can help you a bit with the pirates when i can.

baseball is not a sport i watch, or may much attention too, but whenever the season comes around i always end up getting somewhat involved.... that is until the pirates go on their annual monthly slide and all interest is lost completely.

lucky for me, i dont have a favorite baseball team.

i'm up for it, but the only teams I get regular coverage are the Astros/Braves/Cubs. I dont get any sports packages or have TiVo... but I did fine without that and not watching many games last year.

that is until the pirates go on their annual monthly slide and all interest is lost completely.

Yea, i know what your saying because when they hit losing streaks they hit them hard. That is one of the hardest part of the pirates to cap, but i'll give it a shot and see what happens.:cheers:

Two teams I follow are the Astros and the Royals. I believe the Royals are going to show some further improvement. GM Dayton Moore has them headed in the right direction. Joakim Soria is one of the most underrated closers in baseball, starting rotation could surprise as they have Meche, Bannister, Greinke, and Davies. The Japanese bullpen guy they signed is supposed to be the setup guy. Have some young position players with some potential. I look for further improvement from the Royals.

Astros on paper should be an over machine at home. Shit bullpen, starting rotation outside of Roy-O is questionable at best. Astros decided to strengthen their lineup Kaz Matsui, Renteria, and Bourne(lineup should be improved, defense could be a little down with Tejada instead of Everett).

Two teams I follow are the Astros and the Royals. I believe the Royals are going to show some further improvement. GM Dayton Moore has them headed in the right direction. Joakim Soria is one of the most underrated closers in baseball, starting rotation could surprise as they have Meche, Bannister, Greinke, and Davies. The Japanese bullpen guy they signed is supposed to be the setup guy. Have some young position players with some potential. I look for further improvement from the Royals.

Astros on paper should be an over machine at home. Shit bullpen, starting rotation outside of Roy-O is questionable at best. Astros decided to strengthen their lineup Kaz Matsui, Renteria, and Bourne(lineup should be improved, defense could be a little down with Tejada instead of Everett).

definetly agree about KC, lots of money to be made on them this year

Teams

Ok so far we've got:

Frankiegotti - Pirates (help from mogo too)
sirwinzalot - take KC - that's a team I'd deinitely like to have scoop on
reNewOrleans - take Houston
Brewer - White Sox
chopz33 - Rangers would be great
anythingthatsgreen - let us know which one you choose (Reds, D-Backs, Twins)
Doggy - Baltimore

I'm excited about giving this a shot. A few other teams that would be nice to throw in the mix are: Mil, TB, WAS, OAK, SEA....

we have some resident Mil experts here so they should be able to provide, Fondy knows their farm system better than the GM

For myself, I am going to try and handle the Twins which should be an adventure. Lot of young pitching and not so powerful offense and Liriano finally making it back this yr

For myself, I am going to try and handle the Twins which should be an adventure. Lot of young pitching and not so powerful offense and Liriano finally making it back this yr

I'm very bullish on the Twins this year if they do not trade Santana. I like the way their lineup fills out with Young substituting for Hunter, adding Craig Monroe (whose power numbers will go up in the dome as opposed to Comerica), and i think Brendan Harris will crack the starting lineup at some point and contribute. Biggest concerns would have to be Mauer's health, and Morneau's to an extent. But a lineup of Mauer, Cuddyer, Morneau, Young is a solid 2-5 core. A young starting staff but experienced, and arguably the best 8th-9th inning punch of Neshek and Nathan.

:cheers:

Rolub - Would you like the Twins instead? I will take Reds or DBacks if that is the case.

You make some good points. No doubt their bullpen is solid, they are well coached and they have no problem beating you with small ball. Santana situation leaves the team/starting rotation in a bind but from what I read he is traded before the season or he walks as a FA at the end of the season. Any status on Liriano and how he has progressed? Harris is certainly a defensive upgrade and his offensive numbers arn't bad in terms of avg, still his K/BB ratio is too much and at 27 that is something he should be improving on. He will likely be a .275-.285 hitter with few HR's and around 60rbi. Young still has to grow into his amazing talents but maybe a change of scenerie will be good for this young man. At only 22, he has his best years way ahead of him but no reason he can't hit around .300 with over 100 rbi this yr. Twins were a team who always gave me problems last yr when I bet against them so thats why I started paying so much attention to them.

I'll be happy to do either TB or AZ. Let me know which you want me to do. I'm a Giants fan, but have started following both the Devil Rays and DBacks very closely the last three years due to a certain Keeper league that I'm in. Long story short I am only able to pick up players from those two teams for three years.

Good idea as well Doggy.

Thanks for the offer Green, but I don't have the time during the summer to follow an out-of-town team closely enough as somebody else would. My views are from off-season research that I'm using to prepare for my roto auction, and with little player movement during the year, I won't be paying nearly as much attention to them as I have.

<<<<---------Phillies

EDIT: Wait you said you didn't want a fan's perspective. Totally understandable, I admit I love em. I would never bet against them, but I rarely take them in my plays. You probably want to find someone else, but I'd love to give my .02 on the Phils.

Gimme the Reds if they aren't taken. I get them on TV most nights. They are one of the few teams I don't harbor some completely dumbass grudge against. The other local team on the tube is Atlanta but following the Braves would make me sick to my stomach.

Jpicks - you can take any of those three teams - just as long as you can be emotionally detached from San Fran. It makes no difference to me. They'd all be good ones to include.

Sure - take the Reds Music City. For the early part of last season I had a really good read on those guys, and whether betting for or against them, I did well on my Cincy plays last year, so I'm eager to have someone include them.

Sure - take the Reds Music City. For the early part of last season I had a really good read on those guys, and whether betting for or against them, I did well on my Cincy plays last year, so I'm eager to have someone include them.

They are an interesting team and I think they are going to be improved this season, maybe a lot if things break their way. I liked the Volquez addition. The Reds lost a ton of close games b/c of their pen, something like 28 out of 62 saves which is astounding. They've addressed that with Cordero. There is no way to measure the toll that takes on a team psychologically. As a preseason future, Reds as 7-1 to win the central holds great value.

Jpicks - you can take any of those three teams - just as long as you can be emotionally detached from San Fran. It makes no difference to me. They'd all be good ones to include.

No way I want the Giants. I guess I'll take the DBacks since they play in the same time zone.

The whole thing could be a real success, specifically if we can get local followers of the teams to chip into the daily/weekly thread about things that may have been talked about or uncovered on local media markets.

I loved focusing on one league in CFB and I'm sure this will be just as entertaining/profitable.

I think Weekly team threads might work so there is less forum clutter and it is easier to see what happened that week?

Dbacks are yorus Jpicks.

Everything - If the forum gets cluttered we can definitely go to weekly threads. I can start an Orioles thread and the info regarding their games can go in there. My suggestion would be for each person to start their own thread, and keep thoughts on their team's game in that thread.

The other thing to keep in mind is that people come and go throughout baseball season. Its a lot of discipline to keep your bankroll intact during MLB and if we can get half the people that start this to still be doing it in August, we'll have done OK. Also people take vacations and the summertime gets the best of us. So its great that so many are interested now. Let's PLAY BALL!!!:smiley_acbe:

Wish I was still back in college and I'd take my A's, but not sure 10:00 games are gonna work with my job...miserable

I love this idea. I would love to do the Brewers. Cant wait for baseball season

I love this idea. I would love to do the Brewers. Cant wait for baseball season

No home teams son ;)
I say we let Brewer do the Brewers :36_11_6:

I'd be up for the Pirates or Astro's... Cubs if you decide to do them... I like keeping an eye on the central division foes.

No home teams son ;)
I say we let Brewer do the Brewers :36_11_6:

I'd be up for the Pirates or Astro's... Cubs if you decide to do them... I like keeping an eye on the central division foes.

i dont have the the equivalent of nba league pass for baseball. only teams im capable of watching are chisox, cubs and braves.

Last edited:
I knew the Braves inside and out last year and will watch a ton of their games again. Also watch a lot of Devil Rays(errr.......Rays), A's, Brewers, and Rockies games last year. Don't know if I'll get to stay up as late to watch the Oakland and Colorado games though. Braves would be my best team and could add to someone's thoughts quite a bit on on the Rays, A's, and Rockies. I'm sure the Brewers will have plenty of guys on here.

Yeah fondy, some of those guys on brewerfan.net are just insane with some of the stuff they know. They seriously know almost everything about every player in the Brewers system, and they are just stat gurus. Some of those things I have never even heard of to be honest. But that site has some great discussions and visit it regularly. Totally agree with them though on the Tony Gwynn Jr bashing that goes on there. Just is not a legit option for an every day CF in my opinion

Yeah fondy, some of those guys on brewerfan.net are just insane with some of the stuff they know. They seriously know almost everything about every player in the Brewers system, and they are just stat gurus. Some of those things I have never even heard of to be honest. But that site has some great discussions and visit it regularly. Totally agree with them though on the Tony Gwynn Jr bashing that goes on there. Just is not a legit option for an every day CF in my opinion

I worked for the Brewers Double-A team, the Huntsville Stars, when Gwynn Jr was there and I don't think there is anyway he is a legit MLB CF. The other guys around the Southern League were twice the player Gwynn was. The best thing you can say about him is he does know the game and how to play right, but I just don't think he has enough talent to be an everyday starter.

Sorry about the wrong information I posted earlier, it was late, I mistakenly typed Reteria instead of Tejada. Anyway, Astros on paper should be an over machine.

If anyone else knows of some solid team sites (non mlb affiliated) let me know... I want to start contacting some of these places and getting advertising agreements with them.

If anyone else knows of some solid team sites (non mlb affiliated) let me know... I want to start contacting some of these places and getting advertising agreements with them.

Cleveland Indians: http://www.letsgotribe.com/

like any blog with open comments, you'll get some people who don't really know what they're talking about or are complete homers.

but the guys who run this site (Jay and Ryan) along with some other regular posters, know more about the Indians, including their farm system, than anybody i've read before, and it's not even close. they put all the local beat writers to shame.

I'd like to cover the A's for CTG, but like Seabass said, those West Coast games when I live in the central time zone are killer w/ a job awaiting the next day.

Also, I do not think I am knowledgeable enough to be a successful capper in MLB. I do not know what aspects to consider (stats, situations) and how much weight to give them when capping. I will surely try to learn from whoever wants to give me tips.

scdoggy, I think this is a great idea. I hope it works out.

Cleveland Indians: http://www.letsgotribe.com/

like any blog with open comments, you'll get some people who don't really know what they're talking about or are complete homers.

but the guys who run this site (Jay and Ryan) along with some other regular posters, know more about the Indians, including their farm system, than anybody i've read before, and it's not even close. they put all the local beat writers to shame.

FWIW, i was posting the website to use as a source of information. didn't read Fondy's 2nd part about advertisement.

Been busy the last few days, but this is what I gather so far. Let me know if I screwed any of this up

Frankiegotti - Pirates (help from mogo too)
sirwinzalot - KC
reNewOrleans - take Houston
Brewer - White Sox
chopz33 - Rangers would be great
anythingthatsgreen - Twins
Doggy - Baltimore
Jpicks - Dbacks
Orange&White - Braves
Terpman92 - Nats
signalcaller - if you want the Brew Crew you got em.

Last edited:
If no one does end up taking the A's, I will post my thoughts as frequently as I can. They are the one favorite team I've got where I really do think I'm considerably better at picking their games than any other teams games...

doggy- when should we check in with info.? Start of spring training? Thanks, looking forward to all the great input.

I follow the A's quite closely and I follow the Braves' very closely. However being an East Coaster and in med school will make it tough for me to post every single day. I'd really like to contribute in both of those team threads if the guys who have them don't mind. Also you could assign me to an unassigned team closer to opening day and I'll do my best. Again, I won't be able to post every day b/c I can't log in here from the hospital but I'll do what I can

I follow the A's quite closely and I follow the Braves' very closely. However being an East Coaster and in med school will make it tough for me to post every single day. I'd really like to contribute in both of those team threads if the guys who have them don't mind. Also you could assign me to an unassigned team closer to opening day and I'll do my best. Again, I won't be able to post every day b/c I can't log in here from the hospital but I'll do what I can
Your more than welcome to give any insight with the Braves you want :cheers:. It will be tough for me posting everyday too being in grad school taking a thesis writing class right now.

hey doggy, did anyone take the Reds? If not, can I trade the Twins for the Reds, if they did then I'll keep the Twins

Back