B1G Week 10, 2016 Thread...

B.A.R. I was 1 year late because last year U of M was 100-1 to win it all last year. yes I bet them just in case U of M did win 10 games not like that fat fucker hoke sometimes I wonder WTF does hoke think of himself he has to know he sucks but he is good at 1 thing eating:popcorn:

sorry VK but just cuz there were upsets this year doesn't mean unworthy teams should be given the chance to fulfill your prophecy by being on the same field.

While I say unworthy, that's all part of this messed up system where we have a committee made up of old, unqualified guys picking who gets into the playoff and that's part of the reason why i don't really care about this sport anymore

Been a few years since Mich has been in this position - both nat'l prominence and coming off Sparty win. Hard to handicap how they respond here against Maryland. I made the line quite a bit lower than 30.5 which is where it's at. Anybody care to forecast the mindset in AA for this game? Does the city/team/fanbase feel relieved or does the win in some ways feel like a loss due to expectations in the game?

Speculation that Harbaugh wasn't interested in trying to run it up on Lovie two weeks ago (or was it to get ready for MSU the following week?). DJ Durkin was not just on Michigan's staff with Harbaugh, but also previously at Stanford.

Hell, most of us spent a lot of our lives thinking Paterno was a good person. We are wrong a lot.

You just can't let it go can you? Stupidity has its own rewards. I do give you credit, you even call yourself a clown. You are nothing more nothing less.

Ya. You are probably right ... Western Michigan probably has about the same chance of beating a playoff team as Wyoming beating Boise State, SMU beating Houston, south carolina beating tennessee, south bama beating mississippi state, penn state beating ohio state, Navy beating houston, south bama beating san diego state, duke beating notre dame ...

the problem is ... all of those events happened already this year.

Hell, even the close calls . Nicholls was a 53 pt underdog or so to uga? Troy was what to Clemson? Arizona was what to Washington? What was virginia to louisville?

Why play the games? If a two loss bigten team makes the playoffs over an undefeated western michigan it is a joke. If an undefeated western michigan is snubbed by the playoff committee and wins their bowl game, they have a claim to the title and potentially a greater claim than the winner of the bcs championship game.

Is this sports or a popularity contest.

We all struggle around here to try and be right 52.5% of the time or more but we are right about what conference is better and what team is better based on opinion? The same opinions that all considered Florida State the best team in the nation, considered Houston a top ten team, considered Stanford a top ten team ... But now we all know that we are right that Western Michigan cannot compete ..... ok whatever.

Do I think Bama, Michigan, Washington, Clemson, Louisville beat up on Western Michigan? Yup. Just like I thought Northwestern would beat them when I put my hard earned money on the Wildcats and was proven wrong.

Is it sports or not? If it is sports, it should be decided on the field and not a conference room. And the first criteria to be met should be .... are you an undefeated team? Include all those first. Second criteria should be whether you won your conference. If you did not win your conference, you should be summarily dismissed from consideration. You couldn't even win your conference which you had every opportunity to do.

Start whining about one conference being tougher, maybe we get some realignment or more competitive recruiting ...

Just don't pretend that you know for certain that Western Michigan couldn't beat Ohio State or Michigan on a neutral field. It could happen. And if they are undefeated they deserve their shot to prove it.

I don't get into the this conference is better thing. But you claiming the Big12 is better than B1G is completely laughable. Back to my previous comment.

Big 12 is trash, you deserve each other. Beat the drum for OU, they surely should get in after they run the table over those vaunted Big12 teams. Fast paced games though, thats important. Chip Kelly would be proud.

Western Michigan should be left out...its a cute story, they beat 2 big 10 teams, great. Illini are a couple whiskers above Kansas...Northwestern was a good win. NW has gotten much better than beginning of the year, I have no idea what their issue was early on, usually its the opposite with that team as they are smaller and wear down come mid to late season in big 10. I think we may be overrating Ohio State this year since a fraud joker Overrated U team got clocked at home to them. Is OU really that good? NO

Pop in Western Michigan vs Eastern Michigan tape and tell me Western should be going to a 4 team playoff. They shouldn't. The MAC as a whole is completely down this year with BG stinking, Central falling flat, Toledo and N Illi have down years from what we are used to. Fleck has done a great job there, I root for them to run the table, but u aren't leaving out a big boy for them nor should u. Western is not beating OSU or Michigan Wiscy and I would be shocked if they beat Nebraska or PSU amongst a few others. Probably a 5-4 Big 10 team at best depending on schedule.

Pop in ohio st two days ago. Hot garbage. One game doesnt tell us the story.

You just can't let it go can you? Stupidity has its own rewards. I do give you credit, you even call yourself a clown. You are nothing more nothing less.

I am a clown of a sort .. my name, however, is a reference to how I defeat clowns and pile them up in a car and that car is now full ... like a clowncar. So when I encounter someone like you, walking around with your big floppy shoes, shiny red nose, green wig and a tear drop painted on your face ... I can humiliate you by letting you humiliate yourself and then pick up the roadkill remains and throw them in the clowncar with the rest of the debris.

But ...I would rather be a clown than a person who loves pedophile enablers (assuming JoePedophiliA was not involved in touching boys himself and limited it to looking the other way).

I am comfortable with my level of stupidity the same way you are comfortable with your level of denial.

Hey, keep attacking molesting victims and beating that drum for the guys who let it happen. Pedophiles and their enablers need supporters too, I guess. You must be very proud.

You are a scumbag. I will take stupid in that context.

sorry VK but just cuz there were upsets this year doesn't mean unworthy teams should be given the chance to fulfill your prophecy by being on the same field.

While I say unworthy, that's all part of this messed up system where we have a committee made up of old, unqualified guys picking who gets into the playoff and that's part of the reason why i don't really care about this sport anymore

Why are they unworthy if they win every game they play?

I don't want qualified people picking who gets into the playoffs. In other words, I do not care if they are qualified or not. That is Academy Awards or MTVMusic Awards stuff. It is meaningless. The whole concept of sports is to decide it on the field of play.

If we cannot do that,,,, the least we can do is let the undefeated teams battle it out, since that is the one thing that every team can control ... go undefeated and win your conference. That is under your control as a team. If one team does it and another does not, the team that did it deserves the nod.

If you think it is unfair that some conferences are easier than others .. change out of your conference ... but let's make college football a sport where what actually happens matters. Because if you win all your games and cannot be the champion then it is not a sport, but a popularity contest.

People need to remember that the final 4 isn't a reward, it's part of the process of finding the best team.if Western Michigan remain unbeaten then the semi final is part of the process of finding out if they are the best or not. A team shouldn't be left out of consideration because they weren't somebodies friend 50 years ago when a team was added to another conference. No matter how good Houston, Boise, Western Michigan or any other 50 plus teams were, Rutgers, Purdue, Wake Forest and Kansas were a better chance of being national champions before a game was played

In your top four you have Washington over TAMU. Why?

A playoff game of Alabama vs WMU on New Year's Eve is an incomprehensibly awful idea. Basically some sort of masochistic joke. The system isn't perfect but it will never be perfect and I don't think we should cut off our nose to spite our face by forcing ourselves to ensure the worst possible matchup of all time. I'm not sure how WMU beating NW and Illinois justifies their inclusion in the top 4 but maybe I'm missing something here.

Also, without fail every year we fret about scenarios which have a low likelihood of happening. We're a very long way from having a 2 loss B1G team in the playoff so why sit here and be angry about the possibility? If you want to play the 'what if game'...how about PSU somehow sneaking into the playoffs? Ugh. But I'll wait to see it happen before I lose any sleep over it.

And on the subject of fairness...is it fair that the winner of OSU/mich should have to go out and beat Wisky for a 2nd time this season on a neutral field? Not really. But such is life. And life is pretty unfair most of the time.

I would make the same argument about the 1 loss BIG team. I guess it must be great to sit in an ivory tower where every game that meets your preconceived notion is meaningful and every game that doesn't is because the "better" team was not motivated or it was a sandwich game or they just played bad or it was a fluke ... the thing is, you have 60 minutes and a set of rules (Usually applied unfairly in favor of the "better" team and in favor of the home team as the "better" team always seems to be at home in ooc games) by which we compete to determine a winner. I don't care if Bama beats wmich by 50, I want a true champion and if western michigan goes undefeated, and are not in the playoff, then we don't get a true champion. Paper champion only.

It is the ANTITHESIS of competitive sport.

Let's not play the season at all. Just put the two highest power rated teams in the playoff for one game and after it is over, regardless of result, crown the highest power rated team the champion.

I would make the same argument about the 1 loss BIG team.

Ok, so in this case it would be OSU. Do you really feel that the road taken to the playoffs has been equal for WMU and OSU?

Ironically enough...OSU just beat NW by 4 points and because of this slim margin of victory many people are now writing them off from legitimacy. Yet a 1 point win over NW is WMU's crowning achievement and reason for their inclusion in the final 4?

I guess it must be great to sit in an ivory tower where every game that meets your preconceived notion is meaningful and every game that doesn't is because the "better" team was not motivated or it was a sandwich game or they just played bad or it was a fluke ... the thing is, you have 60 minutes and a set of rules (Usually applied unfairly in favor of the "better" team and in favor of the home team as the "better" team always seems to be at home in ooc games) by which we compete to determine a winner.

You lost me here in how this relates to the discussion at hand.

Also, pardon my ignorance but do we have it written somewhere in the rulebooks that an undefeated team should always take precedent over a 1-loss team as far as postseason play is concerned? Or some unwritten rule that an undefeated team is always superior over the 1 loss team irrespective of schedule? I get that this is something that you hold in high regard but perhaps not to other people or those who have laid out the rules?

I presume you've been watching cfb for many years...and yet it's never been fair. But you've always watched. So why such strong feelings about this now? Or has an unfair setup which favors the blue bloods of the sport always been bothersome to you?

So many things can happen between now and the end of the year. The playoff thing is a better discussion for the end of the year when all the games are in the books and we know what all the results are. Feel free to talk about what you all want, but would be better to dig down into this week's upcoming games instead of something determined a month from now.

Indiana vs Rutgers rates to be the fastest paced game from this conference, for this weeks games.

This game is intriguing to me. Rutgers showed signs of life on O vs ILL, but didn't get the points out of their ball movement., see brief analysis from 2 weeks ago:

Rutgers out FD’d ILL 23-10 and outgained them 385-320 (but 4.8-5.6 ypp). Rut also was 56% on 3rd down to 31%. But lost by 17. Difference was Rut lost 5 TOs to ILL’s 1. Rut lost fumble at ILL 8 and was SOD at the 27 following 72 and 62y 1st qrt drives. In the 2nd half Rut threw an INT at the 25 and SOD at the 22 following 33 and 58y drives. While the turnovers and SOD kept Rut pts off the board, only 1 of the 5 resulted in ILL pts (pick-six) the other 4 didn’t lead to any ILL pts as ILL either punted, turned it back over or missed FGs following all of the Rut TOs. Rescigno relieved Laviano.

You may have to account for some Rutgers turnovers every week. Last game vs Minnesota they fumbled at their own 18 and Minny was in the EZ 4 plays later and they also threw an INT in the EZ after a 10p 88y drive before halftime (trailed 10-21 at that time). They kicked a short FG and Min missed a short FG, so maybe that is a wash. If they don't hand Min that TD on the fumble and score a TD rather than INT...not too hard to see the halftime score being 17-14 Rutgers. Kind of fantasy I know to take things away and make things up...but just saying, without those mistakes a different result is likely. They did battle back and had a 32-31 lead at Minn with just 4 minutes left in the game. 22-19 First Downs Rut, 399-372 Total Yards Min, 52-43% 3rd down Rut, 4.6-4.2 rush ypc Min.

Seems like Rutgers could've won either of the last 2 games, lost both...which is what bad teams do, they lose games they can win rather than finding a way. Coming off a bye week, with some improvement on offense..what might this game look like? Just seems odd to see Indiana laying 2 TDs here. Indiana is about as Jekyll and Hyde as the come as well, never know what you will get out of them. I want to look into this game more. Is there spread value here on Knights? Indiana was the only B1G team Rutgers beat last year (kind of an unlikely comeback win) so maybe that gives them a boost and some confidence heading into this one?

Ok, so in this case it would be OSU. Do you really feel that the road taken to the playoffs has been equal for WMU and OSU?

Ironically enough...OSU just beat NW by 4 points and because of this slim margin of victory many people are now writing them off from legitimacy. Yet a 1 point win over NW is WMU's crowning achievement and reason for their inclusion in the final 4?

You lost me here in how this relates to the discussion at hand.

Also, pardon my ignorance but do we have it written somewhere in the rulebooks that an undefeated team should always take precedent over a 1-loss team as far as postseason play is concerned? Or some unwritten rule that an undefeated team is always superior over the 1 loss team irrespective of schedule? I get that this is something that you hold in high regard but perhaps not to other people or those who have laid out the rules?

I presume you've been watching cfb for many years...and yet it's never been fair. But you've always watched. So why such strong feelings about this now? Or has an unfair setup which favors the blue bloods of the sport always been bothersome to you?

1. Of course I hold being undefeated in the highest regard. If a 1 loss or 2 loss major conference team gets in ahead of a 0 loss team from a small conference, you are basically saying the MAC, MWC, CUSA, and sunbelt are disqualified from being a champion. This not only means there is no equal opportunity ...it means there is literally NO opportunity. The one loss Ohio State team did have an opportunity. If they go undefeated and win their conference, they go. How anyone can be ok with this is beyond me.

2. I have watched more college football than a person should ever reasonably do in a lifetime. I watch replays during the week and even watch spring games. I think I can safely say that i have never been comfortable with the sport not crowning a true champion. Furthermore, I make this argument annually.
3. No it is clearly not in the rulebooks that we take an undefeated team over a 1 loss team. I am saying it should be. Clearly and unequivocally should be. So you are not ignorant in that regard, it is simply the most egregious error imaginable for a sports league. Or put another way, the lack of that rule should be an assault to the sensibilities of all but the ignorant.
4. Ohio States schedule is more difficult. Texas A&M has a more difficult schedule than washington. Should a 1 loss tamu get in over Washington? Also note SOS is highly subjective. My goal is to remove the subjective and have an objective system. More short term would be to just ensure that an undefeated team have the opportunity to prove they are the best since no one can prove they are not until they lose.
5. Where "I lost you", as you put it, is that I am trying to show the importance of actually playing the game and having the result based on the outcome of the game. We think Alabama is the best team, for instance. We might be wrong. We think the ACC and SEC are the best conferences but we might be wrong. We put our hard earned money on these games based on our strongest opinions and most of us lose. We are wrong a lot.
5. You consider the NW win the crowning achievement. The achievement is not losing to anyone. And until someone beats them they can say they are the best and no one can prove otherwise.

Last edited:
6. I would also argue that each conference champion make the playoffs and ZERO 2nd place teams do. Objective goals to be met, where each team has the opportunity to win it all or make the playoffs and lose by 50. Subjective results = Nonchampion

Last edited:
A playoff game of Alabama vs WMU on New Year's Eve is an incomprehensibly awful idea. Basically some sort of masochistic joke. The system isn't perfect but it will never be perfect and I don't think we should cut off our nose to spite our face by forcing ourselves to ensure the worst possible matchup of all time. I'm not sure how WMU beating NW and Illinois justifies their inclusion in the top 4 but maybe I'm missing something here.

Also, without fail every year we fret about scenarios which have a low likelihood of happening. We're a very long way from having a 2 loss B1G team in the playoff so why sit here and be angry about the possibility? If you want to play the 'what if game'...how about PSU somehow sneaking into the playoffs? Ugh. But I'll wait to see it happen before I lose any sleep over it.

And on the subject of fairness...is it fair that the winner of OSU/mich should have to go out and beat Wisky for a 2nd time this season on a neutral field? Not really. But such is life. And life is pretty unfair most of the time.
To your last paragraph.....look no further than one of the best teams in CFB as of recent having to do it in 2011

I would make the same argument about the 1 loss BIG team. I guess it must be great to sit in an ivory tower where every game that meets your preconceived notion is meaningful and every game that doesn't is because the "better" team was not motivated or it was a sandwich game or they just played bad or it was a fluke ... the thing is, you have 60 minutes and a set of rules (Usually applied unfairly in favor of the "better" team and in favor of the home team as the "better" team always seems to be at home in ooc games) by which we compete to determine a winner. I don't care if Bama beats wmich by 50, I want a true champion and if western michigan goes undefeated, and are not in the playoff, then we don't get a true champion. Paper champion only.

VK we do this every year though.
I want your honest opinion.....I do not think the system is perfect, but if the Chips take care of biz, they get a really really fucking big bowl game....not big enough for you apparently, but go look at their bowl history.
It's a big payday for the school, a big win for the program and on and on....

And like you said, if they don't like it? Join a bigger conference. Maybe like the Big 12....that seems to be a good place hehe.

But for real. You get the point and we get yours.....but it is just dumb to think that the AAC or CUSA or whatever could produce and undefeated and bump a one loss team like a Ville or whatever.....again, I think we go to a different system eventual but this whole deal is just crazy....I like when Boise plays Okie and wins....I like Utah beating whoever it was....I like Hawaii getting ass blasted by UGA...it's all good.

But let's keep it in check....

6. I would also argue that each conference champion make the playoffs and ZERO 2nd place teams do. Objective goals to be met, where each team has the opportunity to win it all or make the playoffs and lose by 50. Subjective results = Nonchampion
Not a terrible idea, but it would need tweaking....otherwise Bama would take the Chips schedule all day.

NOW...what has happened(and I hope keeps on) is more teams are going OOC hardcore....I think the teams that don't should be crucifies( like a Baylor, for instance)

I think this 1st week of CFB this year was fucking awesome...and the good teams have figured it out....it doesn't bury you. And it gives massive exposure.

I hope you don't misconstrue what my thoughts are. I am well documented here saying 1998 Tulane is the reason the teams even get to where they get....and that team deserved a shot, so I get it it too.

You guys would all make benevolent slave owners. Kudos for that. The system could certainly be more unfair than it is. So we will just continue on with the haves and the have nots in a socialistic system where the central power decides who wins and who loses. Good if you are considered the elites because you always will be and bad if you are not because there is nothing you can do to get yourself out of the lower class.

I am more for breaking the chains and letting every man (team) stand and fall on their own merits rather than arbitrary skin color (team name/conference name) predetermining your lot in life.

But hey, we can just go on voting in champions like we do now but your vote is no better than mine so I might as well say UTEP is the Champion. Played a tough UTSA team and Bama got a cupcake in TAMU.

Not a terrible idea, but it would need tweaking....otherwise Bama would take the Chips schedule all day.

NOW...what has happened(and I hope keeps on) is more teams are going OOC hardcore....I think the teams that don't should be crucifies( like a Baylor, for instance)

I think this 1st week of CFB this year was fucking awesome...and the good teams have figured it out....it doesn't bury you. And it gives massive exposure.

I hope you don't misconstrue what my thoughts are. I am well documented here saying 1998 Tulane is the reason the teams even get to where they get....and that team deserved a shot, so I get it it too.

Remember the last time people widely considered a team undeserving of being in the playoff? When TCU ( a version that would have been a 6 point underdog to a few of their MWC versions) and Baylor were clearly more deserving? Oh ya .. that undeserving team went on and won the BCS Nonchampionship Game. Amazing. It is as if people were wrong about Ohio State's worthiness or ability. When they actually played the opponent they proved themselves. huh. Interesting. Of course, they still might not have been better than Baylor or TCU... they would have been dogged to both (maybe, I could be remembering wrong). But the point is still there. I don't care if you took 64 teams from all the shitty conferences and had the first six weeks be a single elimination tournament with the winner getting a playoff spot. At least that way one of them has a chance even if they have to be perfect when BAMA, LSU, TOSU, MICHIGAN Etc. do not. Not sure why I just capitalized all those names.

All I want is for there to be the opportunity for each team to win a championship based on performance. That's it. Otherwise it is all mythical.

Good team and you are building a nice program right now with your new coach too.

I am convinced UTAH was the best team in the country that one year .. NFL liked them a bunch too fwiw. But no opportunity. So I actually believe it has already happened.

BELLEFONTE, Pa. -- A jury awarded a former Penn State assistant football coach $7.3 million in damages Thursday, finding the university defamed him after it became public that his testimony helped prosecutors charge Jerry Sandusky with child molestation.

Jurors deliberated for about four hours in Mike McQueary’s defamation and misrepresentation suit.

Judge Thomas Gavin still must decide the whistleblower claim that McQueary was treated unfairly as the school suspended him from coaching duties, placed him on paid administrative leave, barred him from team facilities and then did not renew his contract shortly after he testified at Sandusky’s 2012 trial.

McQueary remained stoic as the verdict was read, and he and his lawyers gave no comment to reporters as they left the courthouse.

Penn State lawyers also didn’t comment after the ruling.

McQueary had been seeking more than $4 million in lost wages and other damages, saying he was defamed by a statement the school president released the day Sandusky was charged, retaliated against for helping with the Sandusky investigation and misled by school administrators.

Sandusky, a former defensive coach at Penn State, was convicted in 2012 of sexual abuse of 10 boys and is serving a 30- to 60-year prison sentence. He maintains his innocence.

“He should not have been the scapegoat,” lawyer Elliot Strokoff said in closing arguments.

In closing arguments earlier Thursday, Penn State attorney Nancy Conrad emphasized that McQueary had said he was damaged by public criticism that he did not to go to police or child-welfare authorities when he saw Sandusky sexually abusing a boy in a team shower in 2001. Instead he reported it the next day to then-head coach Joe Paterno.

“Mr. McQueary was not damaged by any action of the university,” Conrad argued. “Mr. McQueary, as he testified and as he recognized, if he was harmed, was harmed by national media and public opinion.”

McQueary testified he has not been able to find work, either in coaching or elsewhere, but Conrad blamed that on an inadequate network of contacts and the lack of a national reputation.

McQueary was not allowed to coach in the school’s first game after Paterno was fired, a home loss to Nebraska.

“That sends a very clear signal to those in your network that the university doesn’t want you to be supported,” Strokoff said. “’Stay away, you’re a nonperson.’”

Penn State has argued it put McQueary on leave out of safety concerns, as threats were fielded by the university.

Do you think TAMU would be undefeated with Washington's schedule? Only loss is to Bama, who is your #1.

i am not sure, but probably yes. As I have admitted, I don't follow NCAAF closely besides UT and therefore go off the results

This game is intriguing to me. Rutgers showed signs of life on O vs ILL, but didn't get the points out of their ball movement., see brief analysis from 2 weeks ago:

You may have to account for some Rutgers turnovers every week. Last game vs Minnesota they fumbled at their own 18 and Minny was in the EZ 4 plays later and they also threw an INT in the EZ after a 10p 88y drive before halftime (trailed 10-21 at that time). They kicked a short FG and Min missed a short FG, so maybe that is a wash. If they don't hand Min that TD on the fumble and score a TD rather than INT...not too hard to see the halftime score being 17-14 Rutgers. Kind of fantasy I know to take things away and make things up...but just saying, without those mistakes a different result is likely. They did battle back and had a 32-31 lead at Minn with just 4 minutes left in the game. 22-19 First Downs Rut, 399-372 Total Yards Min, 52-43% 3rd down Rut, 4.6-4.2 rush ypc Min.

Seems like Rutgers could've won either of the last 2 games, lost both...which is what bad teams do, they lose games they can win rather than finding a way. Coming off a bye week, with some improvement on offense..what might this game look like? Just seems odd to see Indiana laying 2 TDs here. Indiana is about as Jekyll and Hyde as the come as well, never know what you will get out of them. I want to look into this game more. Is there spread value here on Knights? Indiana was the only B1G team Rutgers beat last year (kind of an unlikely comeback win) so maybe that gives them a boost and some confidence heading into this one?

I’m starting to question if the Indiana defense is all that great. Not that Indiana is known for defense, and there is improvement over last year, it is hard to be that bad again, but is it the kind of improvement that you want to help cover 2 TDs on the conference road? Rutgers is bad, but IU hasn’t been a DD Big Ten road fav hardly ever.

Maryland was able to rush for 33 yards over their average on IU 269 (5.38) 4 game B1G avg was 236. Maryland was also able to pass for 109 yards over their B1G avg. 22-34-248-2-1, 4 game B1G avg was 139. That is skewed because Hills was hurt and they weren't good throwing, but Hills did throw for 200y vs Mich St so still the effort vs IU was better.

Lots of chunk plays for Maryland last week, same for NW passing game 2 weeks ago.

Northwestern was held below their rush average vs IU, however their passing game was on fire early in that one. In the first half NW was 18-31-252-3-0. Thorson only attempted 12 passes in the second half as they shifted to more run plays... Thorson finished 24-43-285-3-0. Still that was almost 50y over their passing average, which NW surpassed in the first half.

Looking back on the Ohio State game now, still a strong effort by the IU D, holding them to 383 and 38 pts, however in light of the last 3 Ohio State games, Buckeyes have only averaged 25 pts in the three since playing IU.

They did hold Nebraska 60y under their B1G O season avg, but Nebraska still scored a FG over their avg.

IU ran for 414 last week, that is almost more than they ran for in all the B1G games to date combined (427). Is that kind of production here to stay now? After averaging just 121 ypg over their prior 6 games. 414 and now they are a great running team, one week? They did surprise Maryland with a new wildcat type formation with little used Fr RB Natee and having either QB (Diamont or Lagow) next to him, or the QB would take the snap and Natee would be next to him. Now it is on tape, Maryland didn’t have that benefit, appears IU did a lot of damage out of that new wrinkle.

I have not been impressed with Lagow this year, so if they want to take the ball out his hands more then that is a good thing for them.

Rutgers is last in the B1G in run D (261 ypg) and also last in seeing the most rush attempts (46). Have to acknowledge that allowing 991 yards rushing vs Ohio St and Michigan is going to negatively impact the numbers. Take those 2 out, over the other 6 games they allow 183 (4.5), still not good. I thought this DL was supposed to be a team strength? DE Quanzell Lambert is out for the year, but they still have what appeared to be good personnel (and some next level prospects). The LBs are an issue, 2 Sophs and a frosh.

Vs Big Ten teams not named Ohio St and Michigan Rutgers is only allowing 24 ppg.

I think Rutgers isn't quite as bad as perception and can see a strong effort off the bye. Rescigno has a couple games under his belt now. Indiana can play well at times, but can also be inconsistent. Might be worth a shot. Opened +11.5, went to 14/14.5/14 and currently at 13.5.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm just not that impressed by J.T. Barrett. The kid can run, but throwing the football is a whole different story. Riley seems to be developing a strong program at Nebraska, they battle and play with a lot of heart. I have a hard time believing that Ohio State is going to blow out the cornhuskers. I honestly thought Wisconsin would handle Nebraska, and I came away impressed by Riley's squad. I'll take Nebraska +17.5.

Kind of feels like a dangerous game for PSU, however, Franklin is making me a believer. Purdue was the ultimate trap game for Penn State, and what they did in the second half was almost unbelievable. I know Purdue is awful, but Penn State doesn't score 60+ points EVER. For past Penn State teams, that would probably have been a field goal type game. Something Franklin is saying in the locker room seems to be resonating with his players. They've been a different team in the 2nd half. The guy seems to be a helluva motivator, and the healthier Penn State gets, the more dangerous they get. Another white out planned at Beaver Stadium. Saquon Barkley is easily one of the best offensive players in college football, and McSorley is getting better. Typical boring and average Iowa team this year. I think PSU gets it done. Penn State -7.

BELLEFONTE, Pa. -- A jury awarded a former Penn State assistant football coach $7.3 million in damages Thursday, finding the university defamed him after it became public that his testimony helped prosecutors charge Jerry Sandusky with child molestation.

Jurors deliberated for about four hours in Mike McQueary’s defamation and misrepresentation suit.

Judge Thomas Gavin still must decide the whistleblower claim that McQueary was treated unfairly as the school suspended him from coaching duties, placed him on paid administrative leave, barred him from team facilities and then did not renew his contract shortly after he testified at Sandusky’s 2012 trial.

McQueary remained stoic as the verdict was read, and he and his lawyers gave no comment to reporters as they left the courthouse.

Penn State lawyers also didn’t comment after the ruling.

McQueary had been seeking more than $4 million in lost wages and other damages, saying he was defamed by a statement the school president released the day Sandusky was charged, retaliated against for helping with the Sandusky investigation and misled by school administrators.

Sandusky, a former defensive coach at Penn State, was convicted in 2012 of sexual abuse of 10 boys and is serving a 30- to 60-year prison sentence. He maintains his innocence.

“He should not have been the scapegoat,” lawyer Elliot Strokoff said in closing arguments.

In closing arguments earlier Thursday, Penn State attorney Nancy Conrad emphasized that McQueary had said he was damaged by public criticism that he did not to go to police or child-welfare authorities when he saw Sandusky sexually abusing a boy in a team shower in 2001. Instead he reported it the next day to then-head coach Joe Paterno.

“Mr. McQueary was not damaged by any action of the university,” Conrad argued. “Mr. McQueary, as he testified and as he recognized, if he was harmed, was harmed by national media and public opinion.”

McQueary testified he has not been able to find work, either in coaching or elsewhere, but Conrad blamed that on an inadequate network of contacts and the lack of a national reputation.

McQueary was not allowed to coach in the school’s first game after Paterno was fired, a home loss to Nebraska.

“That sends a very clear signal to those in your network that the university doesn’t want you to be supported,” Strokoff said. “’Stay away, you’re a nonperson.’”

Penn State has argued it put McQueary on leave out of safety concerns, as threats were fielded by the university.

Any reason you are absolutely obsessed with the negativity surrounding Penn State?

Going to go out on a limb and assume you were one of the victims. Best of luck kid, life will get better.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm just not that impressed by J.T. Barrett. The kid can run, but throwing the football is a whole different story. Riley seems to be developing a strong program at Nebraska, they battle and play with a lot of heart. I have a hard time believing that Ohio State is going to blow out the cornhuskers. I honestly thought Wisconsin would handle Nebraska, and I came away impressed by Riley's squad. I'll take Nebraska +17.5.

Kind of feels like a dangerous game for PSU, however, Franklin is making me a believer. Purdue was the ultimate trap game for Penn State, and what they did in the second half was almost unbelievable. I know Purdue is awful, but Penn State doesn't score 60+ points EVER. For past Penn State teams, that would probably have been a field goal type game. Something Franklin is saying in the locker room seems to be resonating with his players. They've been a different team in the 2nd half. The guy seems to be a helluva motivator, and the healthier Penn State gets, the more dangerous they get. Another white out planned at Beaver Stadium. Saquon Barkley is easily one of the best offensive players in college football, and McSorley is getting better. Typical boring and average Iowa team this year. I think PSU gets it done. Penn State -7.

Agree with you on Barrett - may be due in part to how poor OL has been as of late. I think both OL's will really struggle in that game to do much. I bet Under 54 and if I had to take a side it would be Neb for sure.

I love the Moorehead hire by PSU and agree their adjustments have been great. With you on PSU

Maybe just keep in mind that 4 of PSU's 2nd half TDs were due to short fields and a failed onside kick. Two TD "drives" of 24 yards, a 40y and 28y drive...4 of their TDs on 116 and then there was a 1 play 81y Barkley run.

At halftime the yardage was 224-222, 2 yards in favor of PSU in that 17-17 game. Pretty even. It got out of hand in the 2nd due to Purdue lost 3 TOs plus a failed an onside kick.

It's the same Purdue team that allowed Iowa to score 49 (35-7 halftime) and Maryland 50 (29-0 halftime). Penn St may have avoided the trap, but I wouldn't want to put too much stock in that one game when evaluating PSU, Purdue isn't the best benchmark.

i like Barrett, but thought their last drive against PSU was clueless for both time conservation and for understanding how far behind the sticks they were. Think coaching deserves a lot of blame there, but plenty can go to him too as he didn't look at all concerned with the gameclock running out on him.

As for PSU, i think it was mentioned but i read that PUR essentially gave them points for the entire last 30 minutes

Agree with you on Barrett - may be due in part to how poor OL has been as of late. I think both OL's will really struggle in that game to do much. I bet Under 54 and if I had to take a side it would be Neb for sure.

I love the Moorehead hire by PSU and agree their adjustments have been great. With you on PSU

Betting "unders" in college football is too painful for me, however, I would be with you, I don't see a high scoring game here.

100% agree, the Moorehead hire has been very beneficial thus far. Had never heard of him before he came to PSU, but I'm very pleased with what I've seen so far.

Maybe just keep in mind that 4 of PSU's 2nd half TDs were due to short fields and a failed onside kick. Two TD "drives" of 24 yards, a 40y and 28y drive...4 of their TDs on 116 and then there was a 1 play 81y Barkley run.

At halftime the yardage was 224-222, 2 yards in favor of PSU in that 17-17 game. Pretty even. It got out of hand in the 2nd due to Purdue lost 3 TOs plus a failed an onside kick.

It's the same Purdue team that allowed Iowa to score 49 (35-7 halftime) and Maryland 50 (29-0 halftime). Penn St may have avoided the trap, but I wouldn't want to put too much stock in that one game when evaluating PSU, Purdue isn't the best benchmark.

No doubt, Purdue is awful, but I've watched just about every PSU game over the past 5 years, and no matter the opposing team's talent level, this would have usually been a game they either lost or won at the end of the game. Granted those 2nd half drives were mostly with short fields to work with, but they still executed and got the ball in the end zone. This wasn't the only game they've looked really strong in the 2nd half though, there have been a couple of them ie vs Ohio State.

i like Barrett, but thought their last drive against PSU was clueless for both time conservation and for understanding how far behind the sticks they were. Think coaching deserves a lot of blame there, but plenty can go to him too as he didn't look at all concerned with the gameclock running out on him.

As for PSU, i think it was mentioned but i read that PUR essentially gave them points for the entire last 30 minutes

Fair enough, Purdue sucks, we all know that. My point was, no matter how bad their opponent has been, very rarely has Penn State had 2nd halfs like this in recent years. Feels like a different program this year.

Not a Barrett fan at all. Extremely unimpressed with his arm. Thought he looked terrible at Happy Valley. Didn't impress me at all vs Northwestern either. Stack the box and make him throw deep. He can't do it.

Any reason you are absolutely obsessed with the negativity surrounding Penn State?

Going to go out on a limb and assume you were one of the victims. Best of luck kid, life will get better.
It was probably the biggest college football story of my lifetme but i am hardly obsessed by it. I have maybe 7 poata on it this year. Subject came up and this article is recent news. Too lazy to find the old thread and the search function doe vbulletin or whatever this runs on is horrible. Make 4 posts in this thread about a pedophile and a coach more interested in having a legacy than protecting kids and I am obssessed with it? I was not molested as a kid because i only went to campuses of some of the other 127 schools where the coaches, students and alumni think pedophilia is a bad thing. This is the BIG thread and the fall from hero to zero for that scumbag joepa was kind of a big deal. Please tell me you aren't a pedophile enabler sympathizer.

You know what killed Tulane? 1998 was the first time since WWI that Tulane didn't schedule a single SEC team.

It was probably the biggest college football story of my lifetme but i am hardly obsessed by it. I have maybe 7 poata on it this year. Subject came up and this article is recent news. Too lazy to find the old thread and the search function doe vbulletin or whatever this runs on is horrible. Make 4 posts in this thread about a pedophile and a coach more interested in having a legacy than protecting kids and I am obssessed with it? I was not molested as a kid because i only went to campuses of some of the other 127 schools where the coaches, students and alumni think pedophilia is a bad thing. This is the BIG thread and the fall from hero to zero for that scumbag joepa was kind of a big deal. Please tell me you aren't a pedophile enabler sympathizer.

That is your opinion of Joe Paterno, others disagree. I have no opinion. My only thought on the matter is that Sandusky should be tortured and killed. And you vent your frustrations like an absolute idiot; not every coach, student, or Penn State alum condones pedophilia. At the most, maybe 4-5 people at Penn State knew what was happening at that time. You are lumping hundreds of thousands of people into the "pro pedophilia" category. Can't even imagine what you do for a living.

Your pure hatred for Penn State convinces me that you were molested at some point. Again, I feel bad for you, I know you were helpless, but move on. Don't let it ruin your life.

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by s--k

No doubt, Purdue is awful, but I've watched just about every PSU game over the past 5 years, and no matter the opposing team's talent level, this would have usually been a game they either lost or won at the end of the game. Granted those 2nd half drives were mostly with short fields to work with, but they still executed and got the ball in the end zone. This wasn't the only game they've looked really strong in the 2nd half though, there have been a couple of them ie vs Ohio State.

I would've liked them to play better in the second half vs Temple (a wager I lost). But that was 5 games ago. Minnesota, was a good comeback win and I know they are healthier now.

Hey, I have a Penn St over 7 wins ticket so I want them to do well. Just a few weeks ago I wondered if I might be lucky to get a push on that. Today I hear radio people saying Penn St is winning 10 games now. Things change so fast, overreactions happen so fast. You just can't assume they will win out now can you? Will they be favored in their final 4? Probably? Doesn't mean they will win them all. I'm just not in love with them -8 this week. Easy to not be impressed with Iowa by comparison...but to me this Iowa-Penn St game feels alot more like what the Minnesota game was like than maybe the Purdue or Maryland games. Penn St has improved as the season has progressed and that is worth something. I really don't want to sell them too short, I just want to give a perspective that beating Purdue isn't the stick all teams should get measured by. If PSU answers the bell this week and wins convincingly (which most people around seem to think they will) then that will tell me what I want to know. I will probably be waiting and seeing on that before I invest in them to do it. Would probably rather have the points and Iowa at this particular moment.

That is your opinion of Joe Paterno, others disagree. I have no opinion. My only thought on the matter is that Sandusky should be tortured and killed. And you vent your frustrations like an absolute idiot; not every coach, student, or Penn State alum condones pedophilia. At the most, maybe 4-5 people at Penn State knew what was happening at that time. You are lumping hundreds of thousands of people into the "pro pedophilia" category. Can't even imagine what you do for a living.

Your pure hatred for Penn State convinces me that you were molested at some point. Again, I feel bad for you, I know you were helpless, but move on. Don't let it ruin your life.

Would fantasize about me being molested by old men.

Did you go to penn state? If so, we know who was at higher risk of it happening.

And the defense of joepa by students, alumni and administration is shameful. The rest of America finds him disgusting and we admired him and his program prior to finding out he was a scumbag.

I am a little worried that you are obsessed with visualizing me as a child naked and an old man having his way with me while joepa watches from the closet. Were you a molester of aome kind? Did you get help? If ai was your neighbor would you have to knock on my door and let me know you are a registered sex offender? Do you hang out exactly 501 yards from an elementary school or is it easier to just go to a penn state football camp?

Back