B1G Week 10, 2016 Thread...

I bet Penn State -4 at home against Iowa a couple weeks ago on the GOY lines. It was -1 before Wisky/Iowa and Penn St/tOSU but I didn't bet it then although I wanted to - kicking myself now. I made the line -9.5. BOL has PSU -6.5 -105 currently my gut says BM opens it closer to -4.5. Per usual, no idea how an Iowa team that is trending the wrong way offensively moves it against a defense, and team for that matter, that is improving exponentially each week. McSorley settling in nicely to Moorehead's offense, using his legs more now making a huge difference. Penn St weathered one of the worst situational spots of season and handled Purdue in a way that certainly surprised me, although I didn't watch more than 10 plays. PSU winners of past two and the DL should create major problems for Iowa OL that is still getting consistently beat. Ferentz not very good off bye, I looked it up when capping this awhile back but it's like 6-6 or 7-7 SU and even worse coming off bye and going on road. Night game in Happy Valley with PSU playing for the division.

A lot of people will look at yesterdays score and think badly of UM. Remember, this was MSU's Bowl game basically. They would rather win this than any other game(including actual Bowls) of the year. As I kinda figured, they came out strong. LJ was a beast early on and obviously they were fired up. Michigan offense in 1st half was OUTSTANDING. Obviously they only got one possession in first qtr but the play calling was excellent and it was pretty to watch.

Shotput looked as good as I have ever seen him. He was very decisive with his passes. He still needs to hit in stride more but his improvment is basically on the Rudock level of last year.

Darboh might have the best hands in America.

The defense was sloppy early. I know there was flu or strep throat going around the team but they looked lethargic.

I think I was typing too much in 4th qtr of an apparent blowout that I did not see the awful officiating till today. I was suprised early how solid it was, tbh.

I think you can put the notion to rest of Harbaugh trying to cover spreads etc. After the pick on wheel route, they went way too conservative.

Douchetonio going for 2 down 7 says everything about him. He is defeated. I expect retirement in about 3 years.

My favorite play of game was Dev Bush Junior lighting up that punk Chris Frey who deleted his 'menacing' tweets recently. #whatabitch

And this was good for Michigan. The players underperformed and they got a feel of that. That will help out in Iowa City and C-Bus.

thought mich's back 7 looked slow. slow developing run plays and sparty RB easily were able to get edges. I did bet sparty but was surprised at how easily they moved it.

too much tommy backfoot for neb to pull it out. thought neb looked the better team. wisky isn't capable of committing a penalty in this conf, but that's nothing new. OL held up decent for Neb, which was my chief concern, esp when Farmer went out on the first or second series.

Ohio St. just doesn't look very good to me. I know NW has improved a lot, but Neb absolutely woodshedded them in their house and I thought NW looked basically even with Ohio St. Shocking. I would think Neb would do a lot of what NW did yesterday, except Neb has better players to do it with. Nothing at all wrong with the Husker defense. I'm def interested in taking 3 scores in Columbus.

unfortunately, it looks like Bama again rather easily from what I saw yesterday.

Discussing the merits of the Big10 getting a playoff team in the Big10 thread is trolling?

I will keep it to this weeks games then....

Nebraska vs Ohio State rates to be slowest paced game from this conference, for this weeks games.

Indiana vs Rutgers rates to be the fastest paced game from this conference, for this weeks games.

Kyle,

We all know the B12 is absolute hot garbage.

Give me your merits on why they should get a bid over the B1G?

Right now they should not and the Big have some key ooc wins against oklahoma and lsu that are probably going to matter when analyzing specific teams. Certainly the way things have gone for Houston the last month has hurt Oklahoma.

I might better phrase it as the imbalance in divisions in some of these conferences gives the Big12 hope. What do you do if a three loss team from the bigten wins the conference title game? What do you do if the SEC east team wins the SEC title? What do you do if the Pac12 south team wins the pac12 title game? ACC it won't matter... that champ is getting in. But if WVU or Baylor were to run the table from here then you have a problem. There should be no way for a conference to get two teams into the playoffs. That is absurd on its face .... so I think the big12 does have hope for title game upsets if they have a team in position, which maybe they won't even if they were winning every week. Ironic that Baylor was not getting any credit for their record. They were last year with a similar schedule and no rape cover ups.

I think the big12 is the worst "power conference" (barely pac12) but it isn't like cats and dogs different. Bigten football was hard to watch this weekend. It was played at a very low level save the wisconsin/nebraska game. And that is the point .. We sort of assumed that the bigten winner, sec winner and acc winner were automatics.... now I am not so sure the bigten qualifies for that. Hell the SEC should not qualify for that ... but we all know how that will play out.

There is also the Western Michigan problem for the Bigten. If Western Michigan goes undefeated with two wins over the bigten, how could you take a two loss big ten team over them for the playoffs? That would be ridiculous.

Shotput looked as good as I have ever seen him. He was very decisive with his passes. He still needs to hit in stride more but his improvement is basically on the Rudock level of last year.

Darboh might have the best hands in America.

I think you can put the notion to rest of Harbaugh trying to cover spreads etc. After the pick on wheel route, they went way too conservative.

Douchetonio going for 2 down 7 says everything about him. He is defeated. I expect retirement in about 3 years.

:shake2:

Been a few years since Mich has been in this position - both nat'l prominence and coming off Sparty win. Hard to handicap how they respond here against Maryland. I made the line quite a bit lower than 30.5 which is where it's at. Anybody care to forecast the mindset in AA for this game? Does the city/team/fanbase feel relieved or does the win in some ways feel like a loss due to expectations in the game?

time to bump raems thread

Mishitgan looks the part.....i still think they are 2 years out from the ship, but they just might get in the playoffs

i think they can win in the shoe.....the defense is nasty, the offense is more than enough

interesting shit

VK.....no one hates on the B1G more than the twinks

I think UM looks legit

NOW.....I wanna see it in the dance, but UM looks good to me. Not completely sold on the O, and I hate to say it but I will....wanna see it OOC, but I totally see this team undefeated

the shoe is tough, but tOSU looks lost to me

There is also the Western Michigan problem for the Bigten. If Western Michigan goes undefeated with two wins over the bigten, how could you take a two loss big ten team over them for the playoffs? That would be ridiculous.

isaid

this before and no one listens.....with the B10 new schedule teams like Purdon't and NW and whatever can't afford to drop the MAC games that they are married to.....it just won't work....it makes the conference appear shitty.

The Big 10 doesn't have a team that can stay on the field with Bama but I don't think that invalidates the entire conference.

Maybe we'll see some home field magic this weekend in baton rouge but as it stands currently the SEC doesn't even have a team that can stay on the field with Bama.

Been a few years since Mich has been in this position - both nat'l prominence and coming off Sparty win. Hard to handicap how they respond here against Maryland. I made the line quite a bit lower than 30.5 which is where it's at. Anybody care to forecast the mindset in AA for this game? Does the city/team/fanbase feel relieved or does the win in some ways feel like a loss due to expectations in the game?

Do not see how Terps score though. I made it lower too by pr but how are they gonna do it? They cannot power run and hold the way msu does (held notre dame a ton too) and they have no ability to throw the ball. Their defense is a broken dam at this point. Just seems like it will pile up on itself if Michigan shows up. That would be the concern. Line against sparty was inflated and so is this one. Books are going to make you pay a premium like they usually do with bama and it is a question of whether you want to get in the way. I don't like this match up for terps though.

isaid

this before and no one listens.....with the B10 new schedule teams like Purdon't and NW and whatever can't afford to drop the MAC games that they are married to.....it just won't work....it makes the conference appear shitty.

What if Western Michigan is just one of the top four teams? That ever occur to ya?

Do not see how Terps score though. I made it lower too by pr but how are they gonna do it? They cannot power run and hold the way msu does (held notre dame a ton too) and they have no ability to throw the ball. Their defense is a broken dam at this point. Just seems like it will pile up on itself if Michigan shows up. That would be the concern. Line against sparty was inflated and so is this one. Books are going to make you pay a premium like they usually do with bama and it is a question of whether you want to get in the way. I don't like this match up for terps though.

Thanks, appreciate it. They are both teams I still havent seen a ton of live so this is really helpful.

cc - once we get the SEC thread up I have another big fav I made considerably lower I'll ask ya more about that there

One other thing VK,

We will see 4 B1G teams in top 10 when rankings for CFB playoff come out. That has been A-OK for SEC. Why is it not now?

last time the Terps were in AA in 2014 they won 23-16 as a 6pt dog....last year Terps lost in MD 28-0 as a 14pt dog....agree with VK about the Terps ability to score here....not sure how much of a "revenge factor" for that 2014 home loss fits in, but I think we see a similar game to the UCF, PSU, and Illinois games....but WTF do I know, just my two cents....\m/

last time the Terps were in AA in 2014 they won 23-16 as a 6pt dog....last year Terps lost in MD 28-0 as a 14pt dog....agree with VK about the Terps ability to score here....not sure how much of a "revenge factor" for that 2014 home loss fits in, but I think we see a similar game to the UCF, PSU, and Illinois games....but WTF do I know, just my two cents....\m/

Thanks, appreciate it.

I don't disagree.....problem is, and this is where we eternally disagree.....they would not be undefeated in the B12 even...

Doesn't matter though. Unless the big guys want to stop scheduling cupcakes and prove this to be true (that these teams are that inferior), you can't penalize a team for beating everyone on their schedule, with 2 of them being from a Power 5 conference.

One other thing VK,

We will see 4 B1G teams in top 10 when rankings for CFB playoff come out. That has been A-OK for SEC. Why is it not now?
I don't think anyone would disagree the SEC is down.....its is really the LEAST....
Just like the other side of the B10 I would say.... Could argue that I guess lol

Doesn't matter though. Unless the big guys want to stop scheduling cupcakes and prove this to be true (that these teams are that inferior), you can't penalize a team for beating everyone on their schedule, with 2 of them being from a Power 5 conference.
They aren't penalized though. The Chips will get a New Years Day Bowl of they take care of biz.
Expound on the big guys and cupcakes.
Many of them get a shot...shit the MAC and the Big 10 are married essentially, so they get shots there.

stop scheduling cupcakes is so lame to say when they play 8 (or 9) games against great competition every year and probably 6 of them are better than the best team WMU beats

defeated? He's been dominating UM for a decade and finally loses one and now he's defeated lol right

They aren't penalized though. The Chips will get a New Years Day Bowl of they take care of biz.
Expound on the big guys and cupcakes.
Many of them get a shot...shit the MAC and the Big 10 are married essentially, so they get shots there.

Fuck a New Year's Day bowl...what does that mean anymore anyway? They deserve to play for a title if they're undefeated...or the system isn't the right one.

stop scheduling cupcakes is so lame to say when they play 8 (or 9) games against great competition every year and probably 6 of them are better than the best team WMU beats

What else do you do then? Just let the big guys get all the breaks and make it a self fulfilling prophecy? Seems legit.

I know what you do...expand the playoff. It's not big enough at 4, period. Again, if all 5 power conferences have an undefeated team, how can 1 of them be left out? It's a system that makes no sense...but since it makes a little more sense than it used to, everyone wants to fawn all over it.

Right. And WMU has gone 2-0 vs. the BIG this season. They should be left out because they aren't a "big guy?" GTFO.

Fuck a New Year's Day bowl...what does that mean anymore anyway? They deserve to play for a title if they're undefeated...or the system isn't the right one.

Argue the system, that's fine. But fuck that if they should bump a one loss Clemson or one loss Bama.

We do this every year, and I get the point....but if they played Bama or LSU or TX or UW or you get the point schedule, they aren't unblemished....

We do this every year and I get it.....but let's be real too

A New Years Day bowl also means a shit ton of money for a school like WMU

What else do you do then? Just let the big guys get all the breaks and make it a self fulfilling prophecy? Seems legit.

I know what you do...expand the playoff. It's not big enough at 4, period. Again, if all 5 power conferences have an undefeated team, how can 1 of them be left out? It's a system that makes no sense...but since it makes a little more sense than it used to, everyone wants to fawn all over it.

i'm not sure 8 fixes it. I'm not sure any number fixes it so i'd rather not do anything more

I'm torn on expanding.... I go back and forth.
I'm sure there is a better way.
I know what you mean Lar......how can a team go into the season knowing they can't win it all?

Discussing the merits of the Big10 getting a playoff team in the Big10 thread is trolling?

I will keep it to this weeks games then....

Nebraska vs Ohio State rates to be slowest paced game from this conference, for this weeks games.

Indiana vs Rutgers rates to be the fastest paced game from this conference, for this weeks games.

Big 10 may not be as good as hyped, i don't know, they have a lot of good teams with maybe one true elite in Michigan, TBD...Wisconsin can play with anyone, they have a ton of injuries to LBs on D much like PSU did and both teams have still beat some pretty damn good opponents on their resume. And I still think they are #3 and #4 in the conference if not Nebraska.

The Little 12 is straight trash. Bang the drum for OU getting in a playoff? Baylor? West Vajeen? At least they play D, until they had to go on road and play somebody.

Great Western Michi won 2 big 10 games, CMU who WMU pummeled won at Ok State.

You can have your pace of games, 66-59 games are cool when playing video games with friends drinking a case in high school. OU got pummeled at home by Big 10 team that may or may not be elite. And Houston beat the shit out of them at Reliant. They start a WR who couldn't even make it at PSU so he transferred their to get PT. Texas, TCU, Kansas, Iowa State, K-State, TT,,,,,,straight trash.

Last edited:
Western Michigan should be left out...its a cute story, they beat 2 big 10 teams, great. Illini are a couple whiskers above Kansas...Northwestern was a good win. NW has gotten much better than beginning of the year, I have no idea what their issue was early on, usually its the opposite with that team as they are smaller and wear down come mid to late season in big 10. I think we may be overrating Ohio State this year since a fraud joker Overrated U team got clocked at home to them. Is OU really that good? NO

Pop in Western Michigan vs Eastern Michigan tape and tell me Western should be going to a 4 team playoff. They shouldn't. The MAC as a whole is completely down this year with BG stinking, Central falling flat, Toledo and N Illi have down years from what we are used to. Fleck has done a great job there, I root for them to run the table, but u aren't leaving out a big boy for them nor should u. Western is not beating OSU or Michigan Wiscy and I would be shocked if they beat Nebraska or PSU amongst a few others. Probably a 5-4 Big 10 team at best depending on schedule.

It should be expanded to 8 teams I agree, then no problem with Broncos dancing in. None at all. Its not though and they are not a top 4 team in the country. Eye test is all i need for that.

New Years day bowls still mean a shit ton, especially to programs like WMU if they got one. We are all just jaded as fans. New Years day bowl to Michigan now would be horrifying but i think a Nebraska Wiscy or PSU would be completely happy with a trip to Pasadena this year as we stand. Huge for recruiting. Even so for Michigan I don't see the shame in a return to Pasadena. My worst fear but still it puts you on a national stage and shows your back. To the programs who need to show they are back (michigan is already good there) it would be large. Nebraska and PSU come to mind for recruiting.

Ya. You are probably right ... Western Michigan probably has about the same chance of beating a playoff team as Wyoming beating Boise State, SMU beating Houston, south carolina beating tennessee, south bama beating mississippi state, penn state beating ohio state, Navy beating houston, south bama beating san diego state, duke beating notre dame ...

the problem is ... all of those events happened already this year.

Hell, even the close calls . Nicholls was a 53 pt underdog or so to uga? Troy was what to Clemson? Arizona was what to Washington? What was virginia to louisville?

Why play the games? If a two loss bigten team makes the playoffs over an undefeated western michigan it is a joke. If an undefeated western michigan is snubbed by the playoff committee and wins their bowl game, they have a claim to the title and potentially a greater claim than the winner of the bcs championship game.

Is this sports or a popularity contest.

We all struggle around here to try and be right 52.5% of the time or more but we are right about what conference is better and what team is better based on opinion? The same opinions that all considered Florida State the best team in the nation, considered Houston a top ten team, considered Stanford a top ten team ... But now we all know that we are right that Western Michigan cannot compete ..... ok whatever.

Do I think Bama, Michigan, Washington, Clemson, Louisville beat up on Western Michigan? Yup. Just like I thought Northwestern would beat them when I put my hard earned money on the Wildcats and was proven wrong.

Is it sports or not? If it is sports, it should be decided on the field and not a conference room. And the first criteria to be met should be .... are you an undefeated team? Include all those first. Second criteria should be whether you won your conference. If you did not win your conference, you should be summarily dismissed from consideration. You couldn't even win your conference which you had every opportunity to do.

Start whining about one conference being tougher, maybe we get some realignment or more competitive recruiting ...

Just don't pretend that you know for certain that Western Michigan couldn't beat Ohio State or Michigan on a neutral field. It could happen. And if they are undefeated they deserve their shot to prove it.

Hell, most of us spent a lot of our lives thinking Paterno was a good person. We are wrong a lot.

Ya I don't think so either. But we could also just be wrong.

We can start our annual gripe a few days early. How do we not know? They beat two Big 10 teams on the road. They beat Central Michigan on the road, who in turn beat a 6-2 Okie State on the road (albeit luckily, but they were good enough to be in that position), average margin is over 21 points per game. Until somebody beats them we don’t know how good they are.

Nobody talks about the teams Washington have beaten: Rutgers (2-6), Idaho (4-4), Portland State (FCS 2-6), Arizona (2-6), Stanford (5-3), Oregon (3-5), Oregon State (2-6), Utah (7-2). Two teams with a winning record and a schedule that is a combined 27-38. Somehow the thought process is they get a pass on their record to date, but another undefeated doesn’t

We can start our annual gripe a few days early. How do we not know? They beat two Big 10 teams on the road. They beat Central Michigan on the road, who in turn beat a 6-2 Okie State on the road (albeit luckily, but they were good enough to be in that position), average margin is over 21 points per game. Until somebody beats them we don’t know how good they are.

Nobody talks about the teams Washington have beaten: Rutgers (2-6), Idaho (4-4), Portland State (FCS 2-6), Arizona (2-6), Stanford (5-3), Oregon (3-5), Oregon State (2-6), Utah (7-2). Two teams with a winning record and a schedule that is a combined 27-38. Somehow the thought process is they get a pass on their record to date, but another undefeated doesn’t

Good post.

I guess I did end up derailing the thread a little. Sorry for that. Great thread each week and don't want to hijack it.

Good luck on your BIG action this week everyone.

Back