As we enter November, what do we know after 9 weeks?

We can discuss more in new B1G thread but I don't even get what they were doing rotating 3 QB each series at end. WTF?????

Total cluelessness at what to do. The coaches must be just stealing paychecks at this point bc there is zero development especially at quarterback. Lewerke has gotten so much worse since 2017. I don‘t think any coach can help Lombardi he‘s fringe D1-caliber I think and he should never see the field
Dave Warner needs to be fired. I don‘t get the unyielding loyalty to bums like him at all.

I learned it's the Pac-12 and nobody cares, but Oregon vs UW and Wazzou were two of the more entertaining games of the year.

OU remembered they were OU and were thoroughly blown off the ball by the K-State o-line.

The Mullett is an easy mark, but he's a pretty damn good football coach. Especially when they play a good opponent. Of course they could easily also lose to Kansas in two weeks.

I deserve what I get betting Sparty and fading Air Force.

Also is there a bigger money burner this year than Army?

I guess it wasn't wise to lay more than a touchdown on Liberty considering they couldn't beat either NM school by that margin.

ACC Coastal is low hanging fruit, but I'm irrationally hoping UNC wins it. I always liked Mack Brown. Although they may kill him if they play anymore nail biters.

Ethically and logically speaking putting in two SEC west teams is absurd.

But I'm cool with it this year because I'd rather not watch oregon lose by 60 or whatever other team the committee would be forced to put in there ahead of a 1 loss bama/lsu.

I learned it's the Pac-12 and nobody cares, but Oregon vs UW and Wazzou were two of the more entertaining games of the year.

OU remembered they were OU and were thoroughly blown off the ball by the K-State o-line.

The Mullett is an easy mark, but he's a pretty damn good football coach. Especially when they play a good opponent. Of course they could easily also lose to Kansas in two weeks.

I deserve what I get betting Sparty and fading Air Force.

Also is there a bigger money burner this year than Army?

I guess it wasn't wise to lay more than a touchdown on Liberty considering they couldn't beat either NM school by that margin.

ACC Coastal is low hanging fruit, but I'm irrationally hoping UNC wins it. I always liked Mack Brown. Although they may kill him if they play anymore nail biters.
Really like the Mullet’s QB

You know there‘s an edit button twinkie :) that way everything you want to ask in one question gets contained in one message

I'm starting to be suspicious of teams that people are super optimistic about but that don't have a pedigree of winning. Some examples that stick out include the Cleveland Browns. And Virginia...not just because the team is sort of stumbling at this point of the season but also thinking of last year which was supposed to be "the" year where the Cavs finally beat Virginia Tech (meaning they had a long pedigree of losing to the Hokies, but people were super optimistic about them winning) and then they blow it in the most comical (frustrating af for a fan!) ways possible.
Like teams don't just magically get highly-touted players then turn from a bad program to a good program. Also look at Florida State, whose culture is in crisis mode.

Auburn and Penn St have championship caliber defenses but Bo Nix sucks and Penn St has one skill player that could compete with the above 4 teams.

Georgia has a Top 5 defense, Top 5 OL, Top 5 RB group and a bottom 5 WR group. Fromm is not the problem there. Their WR are pure trash and he's got nowhere to throw. Shame because the rest of the team is just awesome.

Auburn and Penn St have championship caliber defenses but Bo Nix sucks and Penn St has one skill player that could compete with the above 4 teams.

Georgia has a Top 5 defense, Top 5 OL, Top 5 RB group and a bottom 5 WR group. Fromm is not the problem there. Their WR are pure trash and he's got nowhere to throw. Shame because the rest of the team is just awesome.
PSU best pro on offense is TE probably. Franklins an idiot but frosh RB is a stud he just doesn’t use him enough. Hamler is a star. Its like Kelce and Tyreek. The QB is pretty damn good too tbh.

I’ve watched and faded PSU, both way more than I’d like. They could beat Georgia, no doubt in my mind whatsoever.

I learned Ohio St, Bama, Clemson, and LSU are the 4 best teams and it ain't close. As long as neither of them lose twice they are all getting in. It's as simple as that.
Clemson will probably get there , but to say it’s not even close when they escaped UNC is laughable. Let’s not continue to make baseless claims cause we can’t get last year and years prior out of our heads. Florida and Auburn gave LSU a mouthful in Baton Rogue. To think on a neutral, only three teams can compete with them, is just asinine.

Let’s build up said SEC school and Clemson as much as we can so when they lose once or twice we keep them in the playoffs. Deal?

1. I want to insult the skill players on the NW offense. If you guys could just direct me to one .....
2. Plummer does not like a wet football
3. Not sure any player means more to his team than Costello for Stanford
4. Terps have quit
5. MAC race is just crazy.
6. Wolverines clicking
7. I shouldn't bet big ten football
8. Some signs Ville has really turned the corner. As my friend said ... regime change helped there
9. Tulsa is completely snakebit
10. Temple secondary is crap
11. Utah State offense is overrated

Also, while I don't think Oregon is a top four team, i am not sure we should assume they get destroyed by whoever plays them.... they did outplay Auburn in their only loss.

the biggest difference between this years sec and why sec has dominated in the past is the trenches. Don't see it. wouldn't be surprised if both bama/lsu end up with an L or 2. Think auburn may get bama and georgia ripe to win the sec championship game. Feels like Georgia usually has a moment where they turn it on 2nd half of the season.

utah is live. baylor is live.

michigan couldn't move a very lackluster army team off the ball and then pushed a top 5 dline off the ball in penn state and did what georgia couldn't think of vs nd. Can't help but believe the installation of a new offense/line gelling to the scheme took time.

As it stands today I am not sure there is 1 team out of ohio state I would place money on to beat michigan straight up. And by the last game of season they may be able to challenge ohio state with continued improvement.

Missouri I am sure would of beat vandy/kentucky by 50 at home.

Also, while I don't think Oregon is a top four team, i am not sure we should assume they get destroyed by whoever plays them.... they did outplay Auburn in their only loss.

Pac 12 bowl history is not on Oregon's side here.

And there's a limit to how much props I can give for 'almost beating' Bo Nix in his first start.

Oregon just not nearly as talented as the top 4. I'd lay just about any number with that matchup.

7. I shouldn't bet big ten football

There are more teams in the big 10 that are on my "don't bet" list than at any time I can ever remember. Iowa, NW, MSU just to name a few have all been teams I've looked to bet as dogs but if you can't play a lick of offense then I can't ride with you.

And there's a limit to how much props I can give for 'almost beating' Bo Nix in his first start.

Oregon just not nearly as talented as the top 4.

I don't think they get destroyed but maybe we define that differently. They would be deserved significant dogs, let's put it that way.

To date, Oregon has played a tougher schedule than both Clemson and Bama. Just wondering how sure we are of their dominance. And you have to win ... but Clemson was a two point conversion by UNC away of not even being in the discussion, as their schedule has been a joke and there is no one left on it.... South Carolina probably the toughest game left?? I don't think either Oregon or Utah would be outclassed in the playoffs by anyone not named Ohio State.

the biggest difference between this years sec and why sec has dominated in the past is the trenches. Don't see it. wouldn't be surprised if both bama/lsu end up with an L or 2. Think auburn may get bama and georgia ripe to win the sec championship game. Feels like Georgia usually has a moment where they turn it on 2nd half of the season.

utah is live. baylor is live.

michigan couldn't move a very lackluster army team off the ball and then pushed a top 5 dline off the ball in penn state and did what georgia couldn't think of vs nd. Can't help but believe the installation of a new offense/line gelling to the scheme took time.

As it stands today I am not sure there is 1 team out of ohio state I would place money on to beat michigan straight up. And by the last game of season they may be able to challenge ohio state with continued improvement.

Missouri I am sure would of beat vandy/kentucky by 50 at home.

You are right about the trenches in the SEC. There are some great players, and a few elite units, but overall it's not near what it has been. AU has an elite DL. UGA supposedly has an elite OL, though I question it. But neither team does enough on offense to be a championship contender. AU offense is just bad, and it's probably mostly due to inexperience at QB, but their skill talent is very average as well. UGA has a good QB, experienced OL, and a good RB, but their WR are not good. Neither one of them can overcome offensive ineptitude for 4 quarters against an elite offense like LSU or Alabama IMO. AU's defense definitely played well enough to win last weekend, but even the best defenses are going to yield when the offense can't get a 1st down. I woudn't bet on UGA to "turn it on" this year. I've said it a few times, but something is just off with them.

Other things I learned this weekend in the SEC:

Arkansas is historically bad. If they had kept Bielema, they are an 8-9 win team this year. But they fired him because Miss St and Ole Miss had great runs. He would be mopping the floor with them this year

Alabama can win any game left on their schedule with Mac Jones, but I don't think they can win all of them with him, if that makes sense. They are just an above average team without Tua, though I don't think that's a shock to anyone and the same is true for most teams concerning their starting QB

I think things are turning for Tennessee. They are playing hard and starting to buy into Pruitt. He's probably 2 seasons away from being competitive in the conference, but the team appears to believe in him.

Mentioned it a couple of paragraphs ago, but AU is severely limited on offense. Championship level defense, at least on DL, wasted on a bottom tier offense. They've become Florida under Muschamp. Given what they lose after this season, next year may be rough

Joe Burrow may be the most confident player in college football. I thought he played extremely well against AU in a game where he likely got hit and confused more than in any other game this season. I think he has a limited ceiling, but his floor is as high as anyone playing the position. Absolute gamer

Bottom 8 teams of this conference are a mess with very little to separate them, though Arkansas is by far the worst

Non-SEC thoughts:

Wisconsin is who we thought they were pre-season. But Ohio St is playing unbelievably well. Crazy what a culture change can do for a team

OU losing was a blow to the conference's CFP hopes, but I don't think they ended them. Getting that game back to one score keeps them alive, a 20+ point loss would probably disqualified them, fair or not. But OU hasn't forced a TO in 4 straight games, that's tough to overcome. I don't see them running the table if that doesn't get fixed.

Oregon needs to be part of the CFP discussion until they lose again. I get the arguments against them, but if you are going to penalize a team for playing an OOC game against a legit opponent, why even play them?

I don't think they get destroyed but maybe we define that differently. They would be deserved significant dogs, let's put it that way.

To date, Oregon has played a tougher schedule than both Clemson and Bama. Just wondering how sure we are of their dominance. And you have to win ... but Clemson was a two point conversion by UNC away of not even being in the discussion, as their schedule has been a joke and there is no one left on it.... South Carolina probably the toughest game left?? I don't think either Oregon or Utah would be outclassed in the playoffs by anyone not named Ohio State.

you’re breaking it down logically and your logic is correct.

I’m using subjective eye test nonsense and historical data which really has no place in a playoff committee discussion but I will probably wind up being correct haha. If I’m putting up money I’m not interested in fairness So it’s a separate discussion.

Utah looked foolish in a loss trying to defend SC’s athleticism. That doesn’t bode well for them when stepping up in class level.

I think Clemson steps it up when they’re interested in doing so. Similar to OSU 2015. So in my mind theyre not getting dinged for the UNC game but they should get dinged in a playoff committee discussion.

you’re breaking it down logically and your logic is correct.

I’m using subjective eye test nonsense and historical data which really has no place in a playoff committee discussion but I will probably wind up being correct haha. If I’m putting up money I’m not interested in fairness So it’s a separate discussion.

Utah looked foolish in a loss trying to defend SC’s athleticism. That doesn’t bode well for them when stepping up in class level.

I think Clemson steps it up when they’re interested in doing so. Similar to OSU 2015. So in my mind theyre not getting dinged for the UNC game but they should get dinged in a playoff committee discussion.

Historical data certainly has no place in CFP committee discussion, but when their mandate is 4 "best" teams, it is so open for interpretation that there's no telling what each member will decide as their criteria

Historical data certainly has no place in CFP committee discussion, but when their mandate is 4 "best" teams, it is so open for interpretation that there's no telling what each member will decide as their criteria

I do think it impacts their thinking to an extent.

I don't think ND was going to be given the benefit of the doubt this year if it had come to that.

I do think it impacts their thinking to an extent.

I don't think ND was going to be given the benefit of the doubt this year if it had come to that.

Exactly. Same with the Pac 12. And honestly, Alabama will probably get the benefit of the doubt too if we lose to LSU. And we won't deserve it. I do think a 1 loss LSU non-SEC champ has a case depending on how the rest of the games play out though. If we are going to have a committee, they need to have some concrete objective standards that have to be met, before they add subjective measures

This is essentially it.

If it is four best teams then why play the regular season games?

I think that's just it...best "4." Hard to have objective criteria with only 4 teams. Have to have something that distinguishes between the 6 or so each year that have a legit argument

i think OU losing has basically made life easy for committee..... Ohio St Clemson locked in no brainer...... Winner of bama/lsu game locked in loser will most likely get in if it wins out trumping a 1 loss okla oregon penn st etc.........

SEC bias and the media ESPN lovefest are out of control. OU loss yesterday KILLED them. They can not overcome that in almost any scenario IMO

Ohio St lost at home to an awful V Tech team and still made the playoff a few years ago. If there are only 2 unbeatens at the end then OU will definitely be in the discussion still. Even if there are 3...OSU, Clemson and SEC, OU could still get the nod over 1 loss Oregon, Penn St, or 2 loss SEC team.

I'm starting to be suspicious of teams that people are super optimistic about but that don't have a pedigree of winning. Some examples that stick out include the Cleveland Browns. And Virginia...not just because the team is sort of stumbling at this point of the season but also thinking of last year which was supposed to be "the" year where the Cavs finally beat Virginia Tech (meaning they had a long pedigree of losing to the Hokies, but people were super optimistic about them winning) and then they blow it in the most comical (frustrating af for a fan!) ways possible.
They were on a 14-game losing to streak to VPI, yet they were made a four-point favorite in Blacksburg. Pretty funny.

It's not the first for the Wahoos. Back in '85, Clemson was 24-0-0 all-time against Virginia and had beaten them 55-0 the year before, 42-21 the year before that, and 48-0 and 17-0 the two years before that. Somehow, the oddsmakers decided top make UVA a 5.5-point favorite at Clemson. They lost that one straight-up as well, though it was close (27-24).

I learned Ohio St, Bama, Clemson, and LSU are the 4 best teams and it ain't close. As long as neither of them lose twice they are all getting in. It's as simple as that.
Personally, I'd prefer to face anyone but Alabama in the first round. Otherwise, I don't care who gets in, but you're probably right.

Ohio St lost at home to an awful V Tech team and still made the playoff a few years ago. If there are only 2 unbeatens at the end then OU will definitely be in the discussion still. Even if there are 3...OSU, Clemson and SEC, OU could still get the nod over 1 loss Oregon, Penn St, or 2 loss SEC team.
Right?

It’s dicey for sure

Oregon just not nearly as talented as the top 4. I'd lay just about any number with that matchup.

completely understand this but if they hold that against them its just gonna make teams not schedule any competitive early season games. That has been the issue for awhile; we wanna have good football from week 1 on but how u gonna expect Oregon to ever schedule something like that again if they get held out over it? Wasn't half the team hurt in the 2h that night too?

LSU better watch out for the Rebels the week after Bama. An LSU win would set the game up beautifully for an upset, but the Rebels should also be a great ATS play if Bama wins by two TDs or more.

LSU better watch out for the Rebels the week after Bama. An LSU win would set the game up beautifully for an upset, but the Rebels should also be a great ATS play if Bama wins by two TDs or more.

That game sets up well for an Ole Miss bet whatever happens in LSU/Alabama. Probably also for Miss St against Alabama too, but I'm not sure they are good enough no matter how favorable the situation

USC beat UGA, so it's not exactly a gimme. By the way, Clemson has stopped 14/15 two-point attempts under Dabo, so "just a two-point conversion" might be a higher hurdle than you realize.

Given what they did last year and given the numbers they are being asked to cover, I think it's pretty impressive that the Tigers are 6-2 ATS this year with one of those losses by 2 points on a last-minute garbage TD. As for that UNC game, Bateman had a great game plan, and UNC executed well. You can weigh the result however you wish.

Last edited:
Back