Art Briles Fired

Do away with college football, build a minor league system and pay these guys. This is flat out garbage. Baylor and Ole Miss can piss off as can Happy Valley. It's all just a Ponzi scheme.

I don't have a problem with what you're saying but how do you go about paying them

The Universities are pretty unlikely to agree to this. If they agree to pay them then it works. However if they don't....

Is it the responsibility of the NFL to set up a minor league system or are you in favor of the government stepping in and mandating that universities pay the players?

Less government doc, football needs a minor league system set up by the parent company. There isn't enough correlation between university/academia and football these days for me to care about that. The money grab is there obviously. That's all the sport is.

But people love college football and basketball too much for minor leagues to get in the way of the fun. We can bitch about the NCAA milking the free talent or athletes being paid by boosters, but we probably won't watch Alabama v. Auburn if the best 20-year-olds from the south are being seasoned in the NFL minors while Vanderbilt is winning its 5th straight SEC title. Shit, this forum gets stiff year round just about the recruiting process, you think they want things to change?

I'm not an idiot regardless of what detox says. I agree. College sports, football and basketball, are shit and just a revenue stream. Sucks.

But people love college football and basketball too much for minor leagues to get in the way of the fun. We can bitch about the NCAA milking the free talent or athletes being paid by boosters, but we probably won't watch Alabama v. Auburn if the best 20-year-olds from the south are being seasoned in the NFL minors while Vanderbilt is winning its 5th straight SEC title. Shit, this forum gets stiff year round just about the recruiting process, you think they want things to change?

I think that there would be a mild dropoff in fan support but I don't think it would be a huge dropoff. An NFL minor league system still likely wouldn't make Vanderbilt an SEC power. It would just mean the best players at Toledo end up at Alabama while the best players at Furman end up at Vanderbilt. It's not like an NFL minor league is going to be big enough to gut all 120-something FBS teams. Basically your P5 elite players move to NFL minor league, your P5 leftovers and G5 elite move to the big boy programs. Honestly the overall dropoff in play wouldn't even be that noticeable b/c the competition across the board would still remain relatively stable.

Also I'm not sure that an NFL minor league system is going to attract players as much as playing for a current elite program. The MLB draft is already set up that way and a lot of kids choose to go to college where there are far better facilities, a free education and a less stressful lifestyle than there would be playing in the minor leagues at 18 years of age. There is no way an NFL minor league team is going to have the resources that an Alabama or Texas would have. The only way the NFL could compete is with outrageous minor league salaries or by setting up the teams in current NFL facilities and playing the minor league season in the summer. The problem with that would be that if a kid has a great minor league season then you can't move him up for the upcoming NFL season and expect him to play football for 32-34 straight weeks.

I've thought a lot about this and I just don't see a way for it to succeed. Basically the college game has grown to surpass anything the NFL could offer in a sustainable minor league system. Saban would be the 5th highest paid NFL coach

Not saying anyone's an idiot, but big time college sports are just an accepted American thing, no one really wants any revolutionary change. Urban Meyer and Thad Motta are Ohio's two highest paid public employees, by a lot.

I think that there would be a mild dropoff in fan support but I don't think it would be a huge dropoff. An NFL minor league system still likely wouldn't make Vanderbilt an SEC power. It would just mean the best players at Toledo end up at Alabama while the best players at Furman end up at Vanderbilt. It's not like an NFL minor league is going to be big enough to gut all 120-something FBS teams. Basically your P5 elite players move to NFL minor league, your P5 leftovers and G5 elite move to the big boy programs. Honestly the overall dropoff in play wouldn't even be that noticeable b/c the competition across the board would still remain relatively stable.

Also I'm not sure that an NFL minor league system is going to attract players as much as playing for a current elite program. The MLB draft is already set up that way and a lot of kids choose to go to college where there are far better facilities, a free education and a less stressful lifestyle than there would be playing in the minor leagues at 18 years of age. There is no way an NFL minor league team is going to have the resources that an Alabama or Texas would have. The only way the NFL could compete is with outrageous minor league salaries or by setting up the teams in current NFL facilities and playing the minor league season in the summer. The problem with that would be that if a kid has a great minor league season then you can't move him up for the upcoming NFL season and expect him to play football for 32-34 straight weeks.

I've thought a lot about this and I just don't see a way for it to succeed. Basically the college game has grown to surpass anything the NFL could offer in a sustainable minor league system. Saban would be the 5th highest paid NFL coach

These are good points, except the baseball comparison. Each MLB team has multiple teams crossing different levels, hundreds of prospects per organization just to fill an organization and field teams. And almost no one cares about college baseball, and even fewer care about minor league baseball. And you have so many international signees in the minor league system. It's just a different animal.

These are good points, except the baseball comparison. Each MLB team has multiple teams crossing different levels, hundreds of prospects per organization just to fill an organization and field teams. And almost no one cares about college baseball, and even fewer care about minor league baseball. And you have so many international signees in the minor league system. It's just a different animal.

Yeah good point on baseball. However even if the comparison isn't a great one it still says a lot when you have a lot of 2nd-5th round pics going to play college ball instead of minor leagues. People care about each of those sports equally so to get an elite football prospect to consider the minor league you're either going to have to pay them a ton out of high school or somehow make people care about minor league football as much as they do college football

the inevitable bailing of recruits has begun

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...part-sexual-assault-scandal-art-briles-052816

Baylor's recruiting class is falling apart in the wake of the sexual assault scandal that cost head coach Art Briles his job, as the Bears lost two more recruits Saturday, including highly-touted WR Hezekiah Jones. The 6-0, 195-pounder had been committed since last June.

Earlier in the day, the Bears lost a commitment from Donovan Stiner, a safety.

Those followed the exits of DT Jayden Peevy on Friday and Kedrick James, a blue-chip tight end. Waco, Texas, native Peevy decommitted hours after Briles was fired on Thursday. James had been committed to Baylor since last July.

The Bears' 2017 class, which already was pretty thin with only six commitments coming into last week, now has only two prospects on board -- and many think dual-threat QB Kellen Mond, one of the two remaining commits, could be next to bail. Mond, a San Antonio native who plays at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, committed to Baylor last June.

I wish they would just let the schools pay the players whatever it takes to get them. For the vast majority, this would still be a full ride scholly. For others, they get the scholly plus a salary or whatever. Bring out in the open what we know goes on and let's find out what a top high school recruit is really worth.

Last edited:
How do you pay the football player and not the tennis player or track runner or swimmer? Where is title 9 gonna fit in with it? It cannot be done at the college level. You can set up minor league football but in the end all you will be doing is fucking a lot of kids out of their only shot at a legit education and career because the minor league squad ain't putting up with kids going to college while they play.

It's impossible to pay them by the system at the college level though. There just isn't enough money.

No play for frosh
Real student athletes
A bowl system that meant something.

Who says the good ole days weren't that great?

Do away with college football, build a minor league system and pay these guys. This is flat out garbage. Baylor and Ole Miss can piss off as can Happy Valley. It's all just a Ponzi scheme.

Wait wait wait....you're comparing the systematic cover up of rape and sexual abuse to loaner cars? Please tell me that you actually didn't read the Ole Miss NOA and are instead relying on the feigned outrage of others who didn't read it.

Think you missed the point there, fuck them all, including the school I pull for

Besides Penn St, if any program ever deserved the death penalty....

It's coming.....Baylor will have Pedo St to thank for it. And the NCAA today, believe it, is scrambling to see how to do it. The NCAA can only hide for so long and sit on hands when they want to.

I think this may be regional. LSU baseball MAKES money.....are they the only one? Maybe, that I do not know.

But I get the point you are after...

I think this may be regional. LSU baseball MAKES money.....are they the only one? Maybe, that I do not know.

But I get the point you are after...

I don't get much into college bases but it looks like the West Coast absolutely sucks now. The Pac 10/12 used to be so good with programs and it's all been on the decline, I'm guessing that more interest in X-game type stuff (boarding and skating in particular) has had a massive effect on the baseball programs. MLB needs to look at that issue, and they likely have taken notice. While everyone talks about trying to speed the game up to keep interest for the next generation, that's great, but there are just too many other options with more instant gratification these days than baseball and it's hurting the sport.

Think I read that only one team in the West is in the top 20 of the college baseball power ratings, that's kinda incredible.

I don't get much into college bases but it looks like the West Coast absolutely sucks now. The Pac 10/12 used to be so good with programs and it's all been on the decline, I'm guessing that more interest in X-game type stuff (boarding and skating in particular) has had a massive effect on the baseball programs. MLB needs to look at that issue, and they likely have taken notice. While everyone talks about trying to speed the game up to keep interest for the next generation, that's great, but there are just too many other options with more instant gratification these days than baseball and it's hurting the sport.

Think I read that only one team in the West is in the top 20 of the college baseball power ratings, that's kinda incredible.

yea it is kinda sad what has happened to bases out west...USC, Az St.....even Cal St Fullerton Pepperdine and on and on

those guys used to crush it

They'll be no death penalty, even the NCAA regrets handing it out to SMU.

This is an institutional failure, if all is true.

You can't even say "Lets pay the players who are involved in sports that make money" unless you are willing to market all of the sports with the same amount of marketing dollars. It just cannot work. It will never work. And quite frankly, I don't want it to ever work. They already ruined the olympics with professional athletes.

Again .. make a choice. If playing college football is not a win for you, then don't do it. If it is a win for you, then do it. Why do we assume these athletes and their parent(s) are so stupid that they cannot make good decisions for themselves (their kids)? Regardless, after a year in the program, a kid should have a good idea as to whether he wants to be playing college football or not based on his personal wants and needs. You don't like it anymore? Quit. And quite a few players do just that. You think you can get better training for your career in football somewhere other than our Universities? Then go there. If you think there is a large demand for a minor league of professional athletes playing football at a level below the NFL? Create it yourself and make a fortune.

Sick and tired of the bullshit that these kids are victims or are exploited. Playing football at the University is a privilege and completely voluntary for the player. No one is forcing you to do anything.

Would be a fun sociological experiment to see how paying players would affect the already disturbing prevalence of sexual assaults and violence on campus.

The overall sense of entitlement (from players AND coaches) is through the roof and consequences are non-existent. Let's start fattening the pockets of an already highly stratified group of 18-22 year old campus rock stars and watch the hijinks unfold.

I always get a kick out of seeing these palatial football-only facilities with every amenity and luxury known to mankind...and then picturing the players walking back on to campus and acting like normal students.

CFB is such a clusterfuck that I don't even know if it can be repaired. But I would say the first order of business would be to make sure the adults in charge are acting like actual adults. But again, that might just be a pipe dream.

The AD stll having a job is bullshit. Briles was made to look like a monster here but certainly the blame rests more on the AD. Once people have a chance to digest this Briles could be back on a sideline calling the shots faster than you think.

completely disagree. Briles might as well have been the AD ... as well as the President at Baylor. some will see this as hyperbole and that's fine. college football is soooo big time (duh). And Briles was the man in Waco. Make no mistake of that. Whether he pounded his chest out loud and upwardly or kept his head down and plowed on is irrelevant ... he was the Man. The AD had a job at Baylor as long as Briles and his football team kept winning 9/10/11/12 games every year. Every other sports program be damned at Baylor. who cares? It wasn't the other way around. Briles WAS Baylor. What's the AD's name again?? I don't know it.

... Briles needed to be the first guy gone. Like I sad, he WAS Baylor. I imagine the AD (still don't know his name) will be gone soon as well.

No play for frosh
Real student athletes
A bowl system that meant something.

Who says the good ole days weren't that great?

those day were equally or more than "outlaw". Problem today is social media and the local paper guys aren't all in "your" pocket.

are you saying this with a straight face? the x-games has made an impact on PAC 10 baseball??? Ha! I've heard it all now.

does the NCAA truly regret giving Smoo the DP? I hear young radio personalities say it today (subjective banter). But I've never heard anyone from the NCAA say it or even discuss the matter. I could be wrong about the latter, but not the former.

It's coming.....Baylor will have Pedo St to thank for it. And the NCAA today, believe it, is scrambling to see how to do it. The NCAA can only hide for so long and sit on hands when they want to.

it won't be coming, and baylor can thank penn St for it. None of this is in the NCAA rules, and they would have to do their own (usually incompetent) investigation as they can't rely on 3rd party investigations. Almost all of the NCAA penlties on Penn St have been have been rolled back for this reason.

are you saying this with a straight face? the x-games has made an impact on PAC 10 baseball??? Ha! I've heard it all now.

Really? Ha!

Fuck yeah I said it with a straight face. Kids don't give a fuck about baseball. Did you question me with a straight face? Embarrassing at best, I'll give you a pass. Kids out here care more about skateboarding than fucking baseball, why is that so difficult to digest?

Really? Ha!

Fuck yeah I said it with a straight face. Kids don't give a fuck about baseball. Did you question me with a straight face? Embarrassing at best, I'll give you a pass. Kids out here care more about skateboarding than fucking baseball, why is that so difficult to digest?

Whats ur background that u can act like you know it all here?
i bet 90% of us on here laughed at ur comment
and u come back like with "question me with a straight face?"

most think ur comment is a joke, why is that so hard to digest?

does the NCAA truly regret giving Smoo the DP? I hear young radio personalities say it today (subjective banter). But I've never heard anyone from the NCAA say it or even discuss the matter. I could be wrong about the latter, but not the former.

This was discussed here locally after the reinstatement and it's effects. No one would have cared outside of big D. I'm pretty sure it was real journalism and not bloggers or twitters. Or is it twits?
That works as well.

Really? Ha!

Um, kids give a big fuck about baseball. Like a lot. Travel ball FTW. Just not on the WC (apparently) anymore like thirty years ago. Maybe you were confusing x games with knocker ball ... "The fastest growing sport in America!" Www.knockerball.com

Always thought SMU should sue the NCAA for loss of revenue after what we occured at other institutions, how SMU got the death penalty while Miami didn't is laughable and tragic at the same time.

why so sure?

not that i agree or disagree

but this will be the one.......i really think

or it will be the "new age " death penalty

it won't be coming, and baylor can thank penn St for it. None of this is in the NCAA rules, and they would have to do their own (usually incompetent) investigation as they can't rely on 3rd party investigations. Almost all of the NCAA penlties on Penn St have been have been rolled back for this reason.

we will see i guess. i think the reason you said is why baylor is in trouble....bigtime

Always thought SMU should sue the NCAA for loss of revenue after what we occured at other institutions, how SMU got the death penalty while Miami didn't is laughable and tragic at the same time.

Miami's first run-in with the NCAA was a pell grant issue. Kids today still get these even with full academic Scholly's.

The second run-in with Nevin Shapiro has yet to be fully proven. If all of it could have been vetted, then I agree more than I disagree bc it wasn't any different than Smoo, but you can't simply take the word of a desperate criminal who is rotting in jail without the whole truth on paper or somewhere.

The contempt and disdain for the flamboyance and arrogance of Miami will always outweigh what truly should have happened to their program. Always will in yours and my lifetime.

Would be a fun sociological experiment to see how paying players would affect the already disturbing prevalence of sexual assaults and violence on campus.

The overall sense of entitlement (from players AND coaches) is through the roof and consequences are non-existent. Let's start fattening the pockets of an already highly stratified group of 18-22 year old campus rock stars and watch the hijinks unfold.

I always get a kick out of seeing these palatial football-only facilities with every amenity and luxury known to mankind...and then picturing the players walking back on to campus and acting like normal students.

CFB is such a clusterfuck that I don't even know if it can be repaired. But I would say the first order of business would be to make sure the adults in charge are acting like actual adults. But again, that might just be a pipe dream.

never even considered this. pretty good point.

you shoulda seen what TCU got away with in that same SMU time frame.

Back