AP voter who has Alabama at No. 3 in his poll explains himself to Paul Finebaum

Pyppurs

Pretty much a regular
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sa...s-poll-explains-himself-to-paul-finebaum/amp/

All but one AP Poll voter has Alabama as the No. 1 team in the country. The only holdout? Radio host Soren Petro of Kansas City.

Petro has Clemson at No. 1, Georgia at No. 2 and Alabama at No. 3, and was asked to appear on “The Paul Finebaum Show” on Monday to explain his logic.

As you can see below, he said he doesn’t want to penalize Clemson and Georgia for taking care of business against the teams they’ve faced:

"It really goes back to before the season of why I didn’t have Alabama No. 1 to start,” Petro explained. “Because of all the losses on the defensive side of the ball, and it’s also question marks at the quarterback spot. We saw one great half of football from Tua in the championship game, but can he do it game in and game out?

“I liked what Georgia had and depth Clemson had on the defensive line and the schedule Clemson had. Clemson, Georgia and Alabama one, two, three coming into the season. Once the season starts, I’m not just one to run and hide from what I originally put out there. …

“Clemson is going to have to stumble and take a fall before I just wipe them off the map. … And Alabama is going to have to beat somebody of consequence. …

"Until one of them stumbles and until one of them goes out and beats a big-time opponent, to me, I’m not going to penalize Clemson for showing up and doing what they’re supposed to do. I’m not going to penalize Georgia for showing up and doing what they’re supposed to do.”

Finebaum clearly didn’t buy Petro’s argument, or his aggressive attitude.

What do you think of that logic from the Kansas City radio host?

I get what he is saying but let's please look at the bodies of work first and foremost. That's the easiest way to rank teams. And, again, this is why preseason polls are ridiculous. I give this guy credit for actually putting some thought into it (whether right or wrong) though when so many of these voters half ass their polls.

He's a decent sports radio host, but at times is off base. My friend and I used to play in an auction style fantasy football league with him and we routinely smoked his team. He does put thought into his voting, and for that I'll give him credit. But when it comes to sports handicapping he should leave that to others.

Easiest way to discard all the bullshit is just ask this guy to set a line for neutral site games for these three and see where it lands.......

Not to tangent, but the easiest way to do polls in general is to find people to handicap the teams/sets line/etc and then you would have one of the more accurate representations of a poll.

These guys wouldn't have a clue whatsoever.

They are the type that write an article/tweet that describes a game as an upset (when the victor was actually the favorite).

I don't care where you rank teams this early in the season, but if you are unwilling to have movement after 4 games worth of evidence, then your ego may be too big to be a voter. If you thought LSU was a fringe top 25 team in August, do they stay behind all other undefeated teams you had in front of them until those teams lose? Even if all they've played are FCS and G5 teams?

I heard him on Finebaum yesterday. I don't make lines, I do try and rank teams after 4-6 games for my own fun.

If somebody wants to rank preseason that is one thing, and if somebody wants to stick with those preseason rankings in mind as the season is young that is fine too - not worth much, but fine. Now 4 games into the season, which was Paul's point, 4 games in anything you thought in the preseason doesn't matter for shit now because we have actual game results from the actual 2018 players. Rank on that, not what you thought in August.

Back