Any truth to this

Marlo

Check out my DAD BOD
Lets say Penn State beats Ohio State.

Penn State runs the table after this

Minnesota Runs the table.

Minnesota plays in the rose bowl? Since Penn State would play in the National title game?

Ohio State beat Minny head to head....but it would be a BCS at large at that point anyways if your assuming PSU in the mNC..

SO know, no truth to it.

They just spewed about this on the radio here. something about a Tie Breaker would put us in the Rose Bowl?

See Illy last year...Rose lost tOSU to the Sugar Bowl and took Illy as an atlarge...if they can keep the Pac/Big 10 matchup, they like too...

Not sure they want the USC/Ohio St rematch, but it would be up to them..

They aren't going to take Minny over Ohio St in a scenario where Ohio St would have only two losses though, I guarantee you that...Buckeyes travel too good.

in a scenario that USC/PSU play in Miami, they would lose both of their reps and have two at larges...

You'd prolly see a Ohio State/Texas or Ohio State/Oklahoma in that scenario...unlikely though..

Just depends who had two losses, etc.

Normally the BSC at large from a random Conference has gone to the Fiesta....

I think if Utah wins out and a Tejas/Oklahoma ends up in teh Orange you'll see Utah in the Fiesta vs the Big East winner.

And prolly favored....

Dear Jump

Thank's for ruining all my hope for a trip to Pasadena.

Sincerely

A Minnesota fan.

I'd be pissed if they have to play another shitty big east team.

I've read somewhere that the orange or sugar bowl would have first choices and probably snatch up the acc and big east winners if Utah was an at large as they don't think Utah fans would travel back east very well. See if I can find it.

Either way Utah has a tough road ahead to get to a bcs game

Agreed...I think Boise is the more likely of the two to pull it off based on schedule...

Beating TCU and BYU will be tough, and a huge trap spot at New Mexico are all big hurdles...

I doubt either wins out though.

A complicated set of rules is used to determine which teams compete in the BCS bowl games.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-2>[3]</SUP> Certain teams are given automatic berths depending on their BCS ranking and conference, as follows:
  • The top two teams are given automatic berths in the BCS National Championship Game.
  • The champion of a BCS conference (ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-10, and SEC) is guaranteed an automatic BCS bowl bid unless two other teams from their own conference finish #1 and #2 in the final BCS rankings.
  • The highest ranked champion of a non-BCS conference will receive an automatic berth if:
    • It is ranked in the top twelve, or
    • Ranked in the top sixteen and higher than another BCS Conference champion.
  • A special case is made for independent Notre Dame, which receives an automatic berth if it finishes in the top eight.
  • No more than two teams from any one conference may receive berths in BCS games.
  • The third-ranked team will receive an automatic berth if it has not already received one, and if it is a member of a BCS Conference.
  • If the third-ranked team did not require an at-large berth, then the fourth-ranked team will receive an automatic berth if it has not already received one, and if it is a member of a BCS Conference.
After the automatic berths have been granted, the remaining berths, known as "at-large" berths, are filled from a pool of teams who are ranked in the top fourteen and have at least nine wins. The actual teams that are chosen for the at-large berths are determined by the individual bowl committees.
If fewer than 10 teams are eligible for selection, then an at-large team will be any Football Bowl Subdivision team that is bowl-eligible, has won at least nine regular-season games and is among the top 18 teams in the final BCS Standings. If fewer than 10 teams are eligible after expanding the at-large pool to 18 teams, then the at-large pool will continue to be expanded by four additional positions in the BCS Standings until 10 or more teams are eligible.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-3>[4]</SUP>
Despite the possibility of an "at-large" berth being granted to a non-BCS conference team, this didn't happen until the 2004-05 season, when Utah received a BCS bid to play in the Fiesta Bowl, in which the Utes convincingly defeated Pittsburgh 35-7. The extra BCS game will relax requirements to give the rest of the conferences better access to a BCS bowl game, possibly ahead of a higher ranked school from a BCS conference.
Unless their champion is involved in the BCS National Championship game, the conference tie-ins are as follows:
  • Rose Bowl - Big Ten champ vs. Pac-10 champ
  • Fiesta Bowl - Big 12 champ
  • Orange Bowl - ACC champ
  • Sugar Bowl - SEC champ
The Big East champion takes one of the at-large spots remaining.

Marlo, lay off the crack pipe my friend.

Here's the deal. In the event of a tie in the BIG 10, the Rose Bowl bid goes to the team who has had the longest drought from the Rose Bowl, Minnesota.

It's the reason Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl in the 90s because they had never been and there was a tie. They take the new team, but seriously, I like MN this year, but I'm not sure they can run the table. Next year they got a legit shot at 1 or 2 losses, but not this year. Hope I'm wrong.

That tie rule only works if PSU doesn't go undefeated Bjorks....Marlo's scenario was assuming PSU did go undefeated I assumed.

what bjorks and jump said... tie breaker goes to team with longest drought for automatic to Rose Bowl, but if they're picking an at large it wouldn't matter

We're all right in a away. Looking at MInny's schedule though, I refuse to believe MN can finish 11-1. I just do. I'm the typical MN pesimestic fpsorts fan. They'll screw it up somehow.

But right now I'd target them in the Cap 1 Bowl.

Back