• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

***** Alabama vs. Notre Dame Write-up *****

Yeah I see absolutely no motivational edge for ND whatsoever. I think they would have had one had this been played 3-4 weeks ago.

The regular season just doesn't mean as much to me when capping the national championship game.

I'm thinking something like 31-13

If there were a prop that said Bama o 200 rush and ND u 100 rush, you think the yes would be the chalk? I would take the No at even for a real big chunk.

Without knowing what the defensive strategy is for either team, this is not the type of bet I would make. Any defense can take away the run if they commit enough resources to doing so. If I were to guess, I think both defenses pretty much what they ususally do which is only commit 7 to stopping the run and rushing the passer. If Notre Dame takes that approach, Alabama will run wild on them. If that happens I would guess at some point Notre Dame would commit more manpower to stopping it. I think Alabama can defend Notre Dame's run out of a base set.

In the end I think the numbers will be very close to what I'm saying. I think Alabama will be right around the 200 mark, and I think Notre Dame will probably get close to the 100 yard mark.

Jimmy, that is one hell of a writeup. I would argue a few points in there but I love seeing a detailed writeup from the other side. You certainly had me going back and re-checking my numbers again, which is what good posts around here do. One of us ends up a winner tonight.

Notre Dame played a tougher schedule. No Western Ky, Western Caroline, or Fla Atl.

Also would argue that Alabama is not that much better than Stanford this year.

Overall a down year for the SEC. As evidenced by overrated LSU/Florida losses in bowls. Also Auburn was a joke this year

Golson is the type of QB that would/should give this team trouble. He makes plays with his legs and I won't be surprised to see him join Boyd and Bridgewater in the SEC giant killer category.

Do you know how ridiculous your assessment of Teo is ? He is a middle linebacker for goodness sakes, he isn't going to be making plays behind the los. Urlachler had zero sacks the year he played in a super bowl, and Singletary had four combined in the two seasons he won NFL Defensive POY. Your comparisions to olb's make no sense, and Teo will be far and away better than any defensive player Bama fields tonight.

My assessment shows that Manti Ta'o is not the greatest college defensive player that has ever walked the earth. Do you think he's the greatest defensive player in the history of college football??? If your answer is "no," then you are conceding my point.

Look, I have been a huge Manti Ta'o fan, and not just this season. I know full well how good Ta'o is. That said I also use to be a huge Tiger Woods fan. But ESPN has absolutely ruined it for me. For example, Tiger Woods could be in 23rd place, and the entire golf broadcast is nothing but a wall-to-wall Tiger Woods hugfest. It is beyond nausating. You can watch for 20 minutes and never even know who is winning the event. If Tiger Woods is in 23rd place, I don't want to hear his name anymore than I want to hear the guy's name who is in 22nd place. Now I hope Tiger Woods never wins even so much as a game of tic-tac-toe.

The same thing applies to the Honey Badger and Manti Ta'o. Although I never rooted for the Honey Badger (I always thought he was a scumbag) I was rooting for Ta'o all the way until it reached the point of complete absurdity. I really like the guy. But now I root for him to fail not because I don't like Ta'o, but just to make to pundits on ESPN look like complete idiots.

As for Ta'o's stats, Alabama has a linebacker that has played about half the number of snaps as Ta'o and has almost as many tackles, more sacks and more tackles for a loss. He just doesn't have the interceptions that Ta'o has however. Apparently he isn't very good because I have not heard his name mentioned one time in the lead up to this game.

I think that statement is a joke. Before the season I would've said maybe that was true but as the season played out the only team that was even any good on the ND schedule was Stanford and maybe Oklahoma (with a paper mache defense) Bama on the other hand played A&M, LSU and Georgia, those 3 teams alone are head and shoulders above any team ND played this year. That's just a completely false statement.

while tamu annihilated ou .... that was a 3 point spread. I concede that LSU and Uga are better than the top end of the ND schedule but
1. from the middle to the bottom of the schedule it isn't even close as to who had the tougher schedule
2. the three games you mentioned had final scores of 24-29, 21-17 and 32-28. Only the lsu defense could be mentioned in the same breath as the ND defense as well. Where is the precedent for double digits? Week one was a long time ago.

Very nice write up, spot on. But i'm taking the overrated Manti Teo, who will add to his 7 INTS this year and the Irish +10.

ND 20
Bama 17

Ta'o didn't become overrated until ESPN made him the greatest college defensive player to ever fog a mirror.

while tamu annihilated ou .... that was a 3 point spread. I concede that LSU and Uga are better than the top end of the ND schedule but
1. from the middle to the bottom of the schedule it isn't even close as to who had the tougher schedule
2. the three games you mentioned had final scores of 24-29, 21-17 and 32-28. Only the lsu defense could be mentioned in the same breath as the ND defense as well. Where is the precedent for double digits? Week one was a long time ago.

Stop it.

Jimmy, that is one hell of a writeup. I would argue a few points in there but I love seeing a detailed writeup from the other side. You certainly had me going back and re-checking my numbers again, which is what good posts around here do. One of us ends up a winner tonight.

Notre Dame played a tougher schedule. No Western Ky, Western Caroline, or Fla Atl.

Also would argue that Alabama is not that much better than Stanford this year.

Overall a down year for the SEC. As evidenced by overrated LSU/Florida losses in bowls. Also Auburn was a joke this year

Golson is the type of QB that would/should give this team trouble. He makes plays with his legs and I won't be surprised to see him join Boyd and Bridgewater in the SEC giant killer category.

That Alabama played Western Kentucky, Western Carolina or Florida Atlantic really has no relevance to this game at all. Football is a a gmae of matchups, not a game of stats, and Notre Dame cannot matchup with Alabama really anywhere on the field.

If Alabama were playing Stanford instead of Notre Dame, the game also would not be close for the same reasons tonight's game won't be close. A team like Stanford would be anohter ideal matchup team for Alabama. Moreover, even if you accept the notion that Stanford is Alabama's equal on the defensive side of the ball, they are not even close on the offensive side of the ball.

The SEC played in 9 bowl games. I figured they would probably lose two of them. They'll end up 6 & 3, and 6 & 3 is an endorsement of the SEC, not an idictment. Overall it was very much of an up year for the SEC.

As I said in my write-up, Golson will have to have a Tajh Boyd type of a performance for Notre Dame to even be competitive. I've watch every game he's played this season, and I have not seen one thing from him that would give me any indication that he's capable of playing that type of game, much less do it against the best defense in college football. I think there is a much better chance of Notre Dame being shutout than of them reaching their team total.

That Alabama played Western Kentucky, Western Carolina or Florida Atlantic really has no relevance to this game at all. Football is a a gmae of matchups, not a game of stats, and Notre Dame cannot matchup with Alabama really anywhere on the field.

I was responding to your comparison to ND's schedule. Its as relevant as discussing ND's opponents.

If Alabama were playing Stanford instead of Notre Dame, the game also would not be close for the same reasons tonight's game won't be close. A team like Stanford would be anohter ideal matchup team for Alabama. Moreover, even if you accept the notion that Stanford is Alabama's equal on the defensive side of the ball, they are not even close on the offensive side of the ball.

You are missing my point here. You said none of Notre Dame's opponents are anywhere near the same level as Alabama. And while the Tide are probably better than Stanford, I'm not sure its by much at all.

The SEC played in 9 bowl games. I figured they would probably lose two of them. They'll end up 6 & 3, and 6 & 3 is an endorsement of the SEC, not an idictment. Overall it was very much of an up year for the SEC.

I would argue that the conference was better last year. And they are 4-4 ATS in this year's games. Soon to be 4-5 :)

As I said in my write-up, Golson will have to have a Tajh Boyd type of a performance for Notre Dame to even be competitive. I've watch every game he's played this season, and I have not seen one thing from him that would give me any indication that he's capable of playing that type of game, much less do it against the best defense in college football. I think there is a much better chance of Notre Dame being shutout than of them reaching their team total.

Agree that he's going to have to have a strong game here. Boyd and Bridgewater hadn't been called upon to play that well against defenses as stout as their Bowl Game opponents' either, and they both did it. I would make the same argument against McCarron. The only defense he's seen this year that compares to ND's is LSU's. If he plays the way he did in that game, he won't cash this ticket either.

No BYU stat has any legitimacy. Their schedule was a complete joke and they still managed to lose 5 games. That's about as legitimate as Boise having the #1 defense in the nation a few years ago against WAC opponents. Michigan State and Stanford are legitimate. Against Michigan State Notre Dame rush 34 times for 122 yards for about a 3.5 yard average, and went 1-14 on third conversions. Against Stanford they rushed 44 times for 150 yards for about a 3.4 yard per carry average. Neither of those performances are anything to brag about.

I don't disrespect either of Notre Dame's fronts. It's not that they aren't good, it's just that they aren't as good as the fronts they will be playing against, especially Notre Dame's o-line versus Alabama's front seven. Will Notre Dame's offensive and defensive lines make some plays??? I have no doubt they will. They just won't make nearly enough to keep them in the game. I am very confident in predicting that Notre Dame will rush for less than 100 yards, and that Alabama will rush for over 200.

I certainly do not want to disagree with every statement you make, but it is tough.

How could you say no BYU stat has any legitimacy and their schedule was a complete joke?

BYU did play....

Boise State
Utah State
Oregon State
Notre Dame
Georgia Tech
San Jose State

How is that "a complete joke" of a schedule?

I certainly do not want to disagree with every statement you make, but it is tough.

How could you say no BYU stat has any legitimacy and their schedule was a complete joke?

BYU did play....

Boise State
Utah State
Oregon State
Notre Dame
Georgia Tech
San Jose State

How is that "a complete joke" of a schedule?

Yawn. Maybe not a complete joke, but somewhat of a joke for sure.

btw when jimmy does these kind of write ups on bama he's usually money..just sayin..

not always, but close.

If he was money every time he did a write-up on why he's betting Bama, they'd have covered every game for the last three years.

He doesn't do this massive of one unless he's real confident.

Who knows, I think it should be a good one. Get ur ass posting more linde.

Just my opinion but....

Any huge game like this where there are two great defenses competing and plenty of time to prepare wreaks of a tight, low-scoring game. With your score prediction (34 Bama to 6 ND)...and most of your comments, you are basically saying Notre Dame doesn't show up tonight and gets completely blown out of the stadium. You really think Notre Dame doesn't show up for a National Championship? This is a well-coached team that plays with a ton of heart, I have to believe they come ready to play tonight.

Also..you point out that Bama's defense is going to be pissed off because they were over-looked for awards. How about Teo not winning the Heisman? I gotta think that fires up the ND defense a little bit.

Long story short...two great defenses...two great coaching staffs....neither offense is that great....this has the feel of a 17-13 type ball game. I highly doubt we see Bama put up anywhere near 34 points on this ND defense.

Alabama will be my largest play of the year. Real simple, ND defense is way over rated and their offense is average at best. Bamma has a better defense and a way better offense. Coaching advantage still goes to Saban. -9.5 seems cheap to me. If this game plays out the way it should, ND won't be able to do shit on offense. Alabama will pound the shit out of them, throw in some play action, and get up a few scores. ND will pass, throw interceptions, ugliness ensues. I figure 38-10 Alabama, this is giving ND a meaningless TD at the end. The way to beat Alabama's D is to wear them out, like LSU and Texas AM did, and Georgia tried. ND just doesn't have the ponies to do that, this is going to get ugly and I will enjoy it tremendously.

Well Fuck me I don't know twitter nor have I listened to a podcast. I do know webcams with pretty faces and nice ass n tits.

Yeah I def gotta contribute more often, not sure why I don't. Just always find myself lurking but not posting around here

Good call, this was a real good team against a lot of hype, thank god for ND fans or this line could have been -17, where it probably should have been.

Alabama will be my largest play of the year. Real simple, ND defense is way over rated and their offense is average at best. Bamma has a better defense and a way better offense. Coaching advantage still goes to Saban. -9.5 seems cheap to me. If this game plays out the way it should, ND won't be able to do shit on offense. Alabama will pound the shit out of them, throw in some play action, and get up a few scores. ND will pass, throw interceptions, ugliness ensues. I figure 38-10 Alabama, this is giving ND a meaningless TD at the end. The way to beat Alabama's D is to wear them out, like LSU and Texas AM did, and Georgia tried. ND just doesn't have the ponies to do that, this is going to get ugly and I will enjoy it tremendously.
:clapping:

You are the truth dude...I remember when you did this type of write up for Michigan and I was oh shitting myself.

I never thought it was possible to get 500 yards in the way they did it. I am just so immensely impressed with Bama's OL. Made big holes for the backs and didn't let anyone near the QB. I'm not sure if I've seen a better OL unit in college football. If I have, I can't remember it right now.

Congrats to your team Jimmy. Enjoy the female company.

yes, OL was just supreme to anything else on the field. congrats jimmy, have fun

[TABLE="width: 298"]
<tbody id="yui_3_7_3_1_1357627696035_232">[TR="class: important, bgcolor: #F8F7F2"]
[TH="class: stat-type title"]Net Yards Rushing[/TH]
[TD="class: team, align: right"]265[/TD]
[TD="class: team, align: right"]32[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Your writeup basically could have been summed up as "It is men vs. boys" and that is exactly what it was. ND DL getting pushed 7 yards down field play after play was incredible to watch for awhile ( game was dull so I switched to the bachelor somewhere around halftime ) and I was also impressed at Lacy's ability to avoid the nd tackle in the backfield when they gambled and stormed thru gaps on run blitzes. Not sure I ever saw the first ND defender ever make the tackle.

Anyways, grats on the win .. and the dynasty. Assume the female company goes to ND so she will have no defense tonight.

This deserves to be commended, you nailed this top to bottom in a complete demonstration of how to cap.

You get big propers from me on this

I 100% disagreed with you so I just wanted to stop back and say congrats. Tremendous call on your part.

I would certainly be hesitant drafting Teo after watching his inability to tackle last night.

Back