Alabama vs FSU in the championship game.. Thoughts?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
I think LSU will be able to move the ball tomorrow.....but I worry about the Tiger D. It's been pretty awful on the road this year.

I suspect the spread would be somewhere in the neighborhood of Alabama -4.5 to -7. Tough game to call, it's easy to love the spunk FSU has shown but Alabama has the experience you can't bet against.

Quick read on Ohio State's plight in the BCS standings ...

Why Ohio State, at No. 3 in the latest BCS standings, is being treated like Boise State

13701546-mmmain.jpg

Noah Spence (8) and the Ohio State Buckeyes have to wonder about their future position in the BCS standings after Sunday night. (Marvin Fong, The Plain Dealer)

Print
By Doug Lesmerises, Northeast Ohio Media Group
Follow on Twitter
on November 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM, updated November 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.1384205748.html#_=1384210235296&count=vertical&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cleveland.com%2Fosu%2Findex.ssf%2F2013%2F11%2Fohio_state_buckeyes_bcs_standi.html&size=m&text=Why%20Ohio%20State%2C%20at%20No.%203%20in%20the%20latest%20BCS%20standings%2C%20is%20being%20treated%20like%20Boise%20State&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cleveland.com%2Fosu%2Findex.ssf%2F2013%2F11%2Fohio_state_buckeyes_bcs_standi.html" class="twitter-share-button twitter-tweet-button twitter-count-vertical" title="Twitter Tweet Button" data-twttr-rendered="true" style="border-style: none; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; width: 56px; float: none; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; background-image: none; display: block; height: 62px;"></iframe>
<iframe id="f2b9772f88" name="f2323e0184" scrolling="no" title="Like this content on Facebook." class="fb_ltr" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?action=like&api_key=&channel_url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ak.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter.php%3Fversion%3D28%23cb%3Df6bcad84%26domain%3Dwww.cleveland.com%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.cleveland.com%252Ff1a2d8aacc%26relation%3Dparent.parent&colorscheme=light&extended_social_context=false&href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cleveland.com%2Fosu%2Findex.ssf%2F2013%2F11%2Fohio_state_buckeyes_bcs_standi.html&layout=box_count&locale=en_US&node_type=link&ref=s%3DshowShareBarUI%3Ap%3Dfacebook-like&sdk=joey&send=false&show_faces=false&width=55" style="border-style: none; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; width: 46px; float: none; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; background-image: none; position: absolute; overflow: hidden; height: 61px;"></iframe>

<iframe frameborder="0" hspace="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" tabindex="0" vspace="0" width="100%" id="I0_1384210234883" name="I0_1384210234883" src="https://apis.google.com/_/+1/sharebutton?plusShare=true&usegapi=1&bsv=o&action=share&annotation=vertical-bubble&height=&width=&hl=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cleveland.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cleveland.com%2Fosu%2Findex.ssf%2F2013%2F11%2Fohio_state_buckeyes_bcs_standi.html&gsrc=3p&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en.y4BbbnP-9Ws.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DAQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Frs%3DAItRSTN9foCkrsRDAwSTJiF4Uesy9afnXQ#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_close%2C_open%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2Cdrefresh%2Cerefresh%2Conauth%2Conendinteraction%2Conload&id=I0_1384210234883&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cleveland.com&pfname=&rpctoken=38238077" data-gapiattached="true" title="+Share" style="border-style: none; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; width: 60px; float: none; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; font-size: 10px; background-image: none; position: static; top: 0px; left: 0px; visibility: visible; height: 60px;"></iframe>

Email

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

OSU FOOTBALL 2013

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State center Corey Linsley said he studied the BCS last week.
“A lot goes into the BCS rankings,” said the OSU senior, who ran across an academic article on the subject that included about 40 notations, he said, which caused him to find something else to read. “It’s not my place to say whether it’s fair or not. It’s very hard when teams across the country don’t play the same schedule strength.”
Linsley’s research may not do him and the Buckeyes much good this season, because Ohio State’s place in the BCS isn’t much like anything seen in the recent past. Not for a BCS conference team.
The Buckeyes are being treated like they’re Boise State, which is why Baylor passing Ohio State in the coming weeks is even a discussion. That reality is a function of the Buckeyes' nonconference schedule, some less-than-dominant wins, but, in particular, the Big Ten's lack of respect.
Ohio State did move up in the BCS standings released Sunday, from No. 4 to No. 3, after Oregon’s loss to Stanford. But the overall news for the Buckeyes is at least as troublesome as it is positive.
Ohio State’s BCS number is .8926, compared to .8720 last week. That puts the Buckeyes well behind No. 1 Alabama (.9958) and No. 2 Florida State (.9619).
What matters more is where the Buckeyes stand in relation to one-loss Stanford and Baylor. There are four major teams still undefeated (no offense to No. 14 Fresno State and No. 15 Northern Illinois), and the Buckeyes could wind up fourth among those four teams.
The Buckeyes got what it needed out of this big BCS week while they were off – at least one team ahead of them to lose. None of what Ohio State and Baylor does the rest of the season will matter if both No. 1 Alabama and No. 2 Florida State remain undefeated into bowl season.
The idea that Florida State is ahead of the Buckeyes is already a loss for Ohio State. And this week proved that Ohio State needs to be worried about Baylor.
With by far its biggest win of the season, a 41-12 victory over previous No. 10 Oklahoma, the Bears saw their BCS number move from .7745 to .8618, which put them at No. 5. Stanford is No. 4 at .8689.
So Ohio State’s lead over Stanford last week was .0790. Now it’s .0237.
Ohio State’s lead over Baylor last week was .0975. This week it’s .0308.
What matters now for Ohio State is to maintain the position as the team ready to slide into the opening if Alabama or Florida State loses. But with the ground Baylor and Stanford gained this week, and with No. 7 Auburn with a game left against Alabama and No. 9 Missouri with a potential game with the Crimson Tide in the SEC title game, that may not be the case.
For the moment, look at Baylor.
The Buckeyes finish with Illinois, Indiana, a stumbling Michigan team and a Big Ten title game, likely against Michigan State. Baylor next week plays formerly ranked Texas Tech, with No. 12 Oklahoma State, TCU and No. 24 Texas also on the schedule. There is no title game in the Big 12.
So each team has one game left against a highly-ranked team – No. 12 Oklahoma State and almost certainly No. 16 Michigan State - though No. 24 Texas is also ranked, while Michigan no longer is.
Baylor gained ground now, and could possibly gain more ground in the weeks to come. It is set up for the Bears to potentially pass Ohio State in two weeks if the Buckeyes beat Illinois and Indiana while the Bears beat Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. The question is whether the Buckeyes would then get back ahead of Baylor with a Big Ten title win.
Given the history of voting and how traditional powers are viewed, even the idea of Ohio State getting passed by a team like Baylor, without losing, is absolutely stunning. That ESPN's BCS show on Sunday night included talk of whether a one-loss team would pass the Buckeyes is unprecedented. The Big Ten is the new WAC.
In the previous 11 years of the BCS, back to the Buckeyes’ national title in 2002, getting passed without losing was reserved for teams from smaller conferences and an unexpected upstart.
Look at the coaches poll, which counts for one-third of the BCS standings and is the most stagnant of all the polls. Teams typically hold their spots unless they lose. But Ohio State, which started the season at No. 2 in the preseason polls, already was passed by Oregon and Florida State, though the Ducks now lost. Baylor was unranked to start the season, at No. 29 overall, yet now has Ohio State in its sights.
This was week 12 of the polls, and in the previous 11 years, only seven undefeated teams in week 12 were ranked behind other undefeated teams they were ahead of in the preseason.
Those seven teams to stay perfect and lose ground in the coaches poll – Boise State (three times), TCU, Hawaii, Utah and, the only major conference team, Texas Tech.
Now Ohio State, which already fell behind Florida State, is the eighth team to have that happen. It’s because of the way the Buckeyes started the season, and because of the schedule they have played and the conference they are in.
It’s why the only thing Ohio State can do now is blow people out and hope.
“Call it unsportsmanlike, or running up the score, we’re trying to accomplish something nobody else in our conference is trying to accomplish at this point,” Linsley said.
Ohio State has high goals. That holding off Baylor is one of those goals tells you everything you need to know about the Big Ten.
* Corrected decimal place in Ohio State's lead over Stanford and Baylor.

At least next year we will see 4 teams playing in a "playoff" for the National Championship. I still don't think that's enough teams, but it's much better than what's going to happen this year with potentially 2 undefeated teams from BCS conferences not having any chance of going to the MNC game. If Oregon hadn't lost, we'd be looking at potentially 5 teams, which is why I don't think 4 is enough (but again, it's better than this BCS BS).

This ones for jimmydafreak IMO osu matches up with bama in every aspect of the game better than any team in the country esp in the trenches What r ur thoughts

This ones for jimmydafreak IMO osu matches up with bama in every aspect of the game better than any team in the country esp in the trenches What r ur thoughts

I wholeheartedly disagree. I don't think Ohio State would have any shot at staying with Alabama for 4 quarters. I believe Florida State, on the other hand, absolutely does. Alabama and Florida State are the 2 most complete teams in the country from top to bottom. Florida State has all the necessary ingredients to give Alabama a run for their money - a multi-dimensional offense run by maybe the best QB in college football, a front seven capable of slowing down Alabama's rushing attack, and are strong enough on the back end to slow down Alabama's athlete's on he outside. The wild card for Alabama may be TE O.J. Howard.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I don't think Ohio State would have any shot at staying with Alabama for 4 quarters. I believe Florida State, on the other hand, absolutely does. Alabama and Florida State are the 2 most complete teams in the country from top to bottom. Florida State has all the necessary ingredients to give Alabama a run for their money - a multi-dimensional offense run by maybe the best QB in college football, a front seven capable of slowing down Alabama's rushing attack, and are strong enough on the back end to slow down Alabama's athlete's on he outside. The wild card for Alabama may be TE O.J. Howard.

on paper although young ohio states d line is better that florida state. ohio state has arguably the best offensive line in the country and braxton is not as good of a passer although his completion percent is at 73% for the year. yet he is a much better athlete/runner ei johnny manziel. urban is a coach that is never fun to face also. i agree with almost all of ur analysis of college football esp on bama. but this ohio state team is deep, athletic, and well coached in the trenches.

on paper although young ohio states d line is better that florida state. ohio state has arguably the best offensive line in the country and braxton is not as good of a passer although his completion percent is at 73% for the year. yet he is a much better athlete/runner ei johnny manziel. urban is a coach that is never fun to face also. i agree with almost all of ur analysis of college football esp on bama. but this ohio state team is deep, athletic, and well coached in the trenches.

I would disagree with this statement. FSU msy be the most vetran O-line in all of NCAA Football and rotate 8 deep along the defensive front. Recruited exceptionally well along the D front. I am looking at this entirely through garnet glasses.

I've been bashing the Ohio State schedule for years, but the Bucks would give Alabama all they could handle. In FSU's case, when did the ACC get any street cred, that was like an overnight phenomenon? People talk about that win at Clemson like it shook the earth to its core. If everyone wins out, OSU will reap what that shit schedule sowed. But I'd be all over OSU ML at a neutral site against Bama, FSU, Baylor.

What would make Ohio State fans more miserable? Going undefeated and getting "screwed" out of a title shot or getting to the title game and getting their doors blown off by Alabama/FSU/Baylor/Stanford/whoever?

I mean obviously the ideal scenario would be for a one loss alabama to play a one loss stanford whilst leaving an undefeated ohio state to get blasted by Oregon in the rose bowl...but thats probably not going to happen so I just wanna know what to root for?

Smoke still a little butthurt over … what was that score last month, 60-nothing?

What would make Ohio State fans more miserable? Going undefeated and getting "screwed" out of a title shot or getting to the title game and getting their doors blown off by Alabama/FSU/Baylor/Stanford/whoever?

your point is well taken, although lazy in your analysis and well kinda sheepish as you seem to follow the mass of them as they are hearded to slaughter. perhaps try watching an ohio state game or the entire slate them that have been played. this isnt your dads jim tresel coached ohio state team. Ohio state would literally maul. oregon and bailor in the trenches. that was proven in 2010 as ohio state manhandled the chip kelly led squad to a double digit loss in the rose bowl. Oregon is and for the most part always will be the same squad as 2010.

2013 is another animal altogether. stanford plays good in the trenches, runs the ball well. but they are given too much credit for overpowering an oregon team that is not built to play big boy football. bama has proven that mobile quarterbacks will give them fits. ohio state has in my biased opinion has the best mobile quarterback in college football. and although some may disagree you would really be splitting hairs. ohio state has a telented d line, a deep d line, a well coached line. they are young and that is their only downside. but being young on the d line is not nearly as big a deal as being young on the oline. this is the area that makes ohio state a complete terror to a team like bama or fsu. our offensive line along with carlose hyde, braxton and dontr wilson are able neutralize the strength of bamas and fla states game on defense. add in there that urban meyer may be the games best game coach. i honstly am confused as to why everyone thinks they would get destroyed unless they are just listening to the talking heads on ESPN and not actually watching the games.

I make Florida State lower every week than everyone else does (this week only 33 for example) and only have them 1 less than Bama if all things were equal. There is virtually little chance that this game would open any higher than 3 and if it did, there would be sharp money on the dog immediately.

I make Florida State lower every week than everyone else does (this week only 33 for example) and only have them 1 less than Bama if all things were equal. There is virtually little chance that this game would open any higher than 3 and if it did, there would be sharp money on the dog immediately.

That. Although I still have FSU 3 points better :)

2013 is another animal altogether. stanford plays good in the trenches, runs the ball well. but they are given too much credit for overpowering an oregon team that is not built to play big boy football. bama has proven that mobile quarterbacks will give them fits. ohio state has in my biased opinion has the best mobile quarterback in college football. and although some may disagree you would really be splitting hairs. ohio state has a telented d line, a deep d line, a well coached line. they are young and that is their only downside. but being young on the d line is not nearly as big a deal as being young on the oline. this is the area that makes ohio state a complete terror to a team like bama or fsu. our offensive line along with carlose hyde, braxton and dontr wilson are able neutralize the strength of bamas and fla states game on defense. add in there that urban meyer may be the games best game coach. i honstly am confused as to why everyone thinks they would get destroyed unless they are just listening to the talking heads on ESPN and not actually watching the games.

Manziel is the best mobile QB hands down this year, maybe ever. That guy is unbelievable. Not that Braxton isn't great, but nobody is as good as JFF. And Urban is certainly a great coach, but Saban has his number. You can't convince me that this year's OSU is as good as Urban's '09 UF squad that got blasted by an Alabama team that wasn't nearly as good as this years

I don't think either guy is a slam dunk NFL guy, but the only thing separating Brax and Manziel are the moments. And the occasional Kenny G appearance. OSU killing everyone kills the drama.

Manziel is the best mobile QB hands down this year, maybe ever. That guy is unbelievable. Not that Braxton isn't great, but nobody is as good as JFF. And Urban is certainly a great coach, but Saban has his number. You can't convince me that this year's OSU is as good as Urban's '09 UF squad that got blasted by an Alabama team that wasn't nearly as good as this years

Like i said said ur really just splitting hairs but ur argument makes u feel comfy cozy because manzel made Kirby smart and his defense look like a Jv squad. Much like Braxton would do. Only difference is brad has a plethora of playmakers at his disposal. And ur 09 comment does hold water. And I would be worried if bama had been game planning to beat osu since January. If the bucks get their shot they cover and win.

Just remember Jeremy Pruitt & Sal Sunseri are at FSU now. 2 men from deep in the Bama bubble, this takes away from the normal bowl gap prep advantage Bama normally has. If there is an area of concern for FSU it's the outside zone run. The off tackle OZ run has been a thorn in FSUs side. Not on Mario Edwards Jrs side but the Eddie Goldman/Dan Hicks side.

Like i said said ur really just splitting hairs but ur argument makes u feel comfy cozy because manzel made Kirby smart and his defense look like a Jv squad. Much like Braxton would do. Only difference is brad has a plethora of playmakers at his disposal. And ur 09 comment does hold water. And I would be worried if bama had been game planning to beat osu since January. If the bucks get their shot they cover and win.

The same Braxton Miller that had a 24.9 QBR against Northwestern would make Bama look like a JV team?

Northwestern played with their hair on fire that night. Example B. Penn State.

The whole process is fruitless. We're a day early and a dollar short. 16 teams would work.

I don't know what jump thinks, he's a more reasonable man than I am, I think Ohio State would beat FSU by 10+.

Yeah, yeah, the Clemson game. Was that a football game or did aliens take over?

Northwestern played with their hair on fire that night. Example B. Penn State.

The whole process is fruitless. We're a day early and a dollar short. 16 teams would work.

Bama was without its best CB and it was the 2nd game of the season. Example B. Pretty much every other game the last 5 seasons including 3 BCSCG

There are 6 or 7 teams that would run the table with Ohio St's schedule. They are good, but they aren't bama or FSU or Oregon good

There are 6 or 7 teams that would run the table with Ohio St's schedule. They are good, but they aren't bama or FSU or Oregon good

Don't disagree. However there is one team that can beat Alabama, and we probably won't see the game.

Why is all of a sudden Ohio St getting so much love?

since really struggling with Wisconsin, NW and Iowa for that matter they have beat the snot out of who? Purdue? Oh that Penn St game on primetime? Penn State sucks, their defense is god awful. You cant even consider any future wins like Illinois and Indiana as quality wins, could care less if they beat them by 40 or 50 or 60. Oh Michigan, yea we are great this year, on the same level as PSUs of the conference, which is a level rivaling Minnesota and Nebraska maybe?

Has anyone seen the big 10 this yr, it is the worst brand of conference football i have ever seen in 35 years. Its sickening.

I guess Ohio St would hang within 3 tds vs bama

They haven't lost in years. Couple tattoos and a soft schedule.

Call me crazy but I think Bama loses to Mizzou and we end up with Baylor and FSU and I think Baylor might win it all
I do not think even with BCS shady dealings that OSU schedule and strength of wins can offset Baylor and FSU winning out

Call me crazy but I think Bama loses to Mizzou and we end up with Baylor and FSU and I think Baylor might win it all
I do not think even with BCS shady dealings that OSU schedule and strength of wins can offset Baylor and FSU winning out

Don't think bama plays mizzou so we'll never know

have u guys even seen osu play or do u get ur info from espn?? i agree they atarted slow but osu is clicking on all cylinders now and their lines are sick

being a gambler you know as well as i do that was a bad spot for ohio state esp off an injury in the rain with the grass3 ft tall... not making an excuse but he has def turned a corner

have u guys even seen osu play or do u get ur info from espn?? i agree they atarted slow but osu is clicking on all cylinders now and their lines are sick

I've watched them a few times as I have bet on them often this year. I agree that they have gotten better since the beginning of the season. Just about every team in the top 15 or so is better now than they were 9 weeks ago.

Ohio St's best chance would be if they played the national championship a week before the SuperBowl in NY and it snowed.

Back