Marlo

Check out my DAD BOD
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3919067

The Oakland Raiders reached agreement with cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha on a $45.3 million, three-year contract that makes him the highest-paid defensive back in NFL history.

4489.jpg

Asomugha

Sources said Asomugha is guaranteed $28.5 million in a complicated deal that features a provision in which the entire contract can be guaranteed if the Raiders decide to keep the 27-year-old for the third season.
This was the second major re-signing by the Raiders in two days; on Wednesday, Shane Lechler agreed to a four-year, $16 million contract, the richest ever for a punter.
Both deals were negotiated by agent Tom Condon, with Raiders owner Al Davis having significant involvement in brokering the agreements.

with Raiders owner Al Davis having significant involvement in brokering the agreements.

...and the beat goes on.

Raiders are entertaining; I'll give 'em that.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

considering the recent history and reputation of the raiders, i'd say that is an excellent job of player retention---especially highly coveted players of that caliber

The thing I dont understand about the ripping of Davis, especially by people at ESPN (especially Mortenson) is that he is going through what pretty much every team in the league has gone through at least once in the last 20 years, a bad 5 year period.

They never mention how Jerry Jones is senile and doesn't know what hes doing and the Cowboys haven't won a playoff game in 12 or 13 years and the Raiders were one of the elite teams in the league in the early 2000's and would have won a superbowl if they didn't play a team whose coach wrote their fucking playbook.

The thing I dont understand about the ripping of Davis, especially by people at ESPN (especially Mortenson) is that he is going through what pretty much every team in the league has gone through at least once in the last 20 years, a bad 5 year period.

They never mention how Jerry Jones is senile and doesn't know what hes doing and the Cowboys haven't won a playoff game in 12 or 13 years and the Raiders were one of the elite teams in the league in the early 2000's and would have won a superbowl if they didn't play a team whose coach wrote their fucking playbook.

It's because as God would say it, they are "America's team"

*Barf*

Pure double standard by BSPN...which is in turn parroted by the ignorant and uninformed masses of NFL "fans".

The Raiders called Mort (paraphrasing) "a lying POS" about a story earlier this year that AD was selling part of the team (not true) and further noted that Mort did not even call the team for a comment (a HUGE journalistic no-no).

Mort replied that the Raiders lost their "privilege" of commenting on any of his stories...the media crucified Mort for his arrogance and ESPN forced him to issue an apology to Mr. Davis. :36_11_6:

Saying the Raiders have "lost their privilege" of having Mortensen run his stories past them for comment is both childish and, even more to the point, terrible journalism. From day one in this business, I was taught that there are always two sides to every story and, whether you agree with them or not, it is the basic duties of a qualified journalist to print both sides. ...

Even [his follow-up statement] doesn't hold water because Mortensen said in his first statement that the team had lost its privilege to have him run stories past them for comment. Yet in his follow-up, he says it's an assumption on the Raiders part that he didn't have any contact with them while reporting on the story.

Which is it, Chris? Did you have contact with them or were you not seeking them out for comment because they lost that privilege?

Where has he lost you ask. This guy just dished out Peyton Manning and Tom Brady $ to a CB. Lets not forget the 4 milly a year to a fucking punter.

I'm not questioning how good this guy is...but lets not forget he plays against Marshall x2, Bowie x2, and Chambers x2.

^^^ you must have not watched ASO play the dude takes away half of the field.

Best corner in the game hands down.

and He's the leader of the team. Great fuckin move.

Where has he lost you ask. This guy just dished out Peyton Manning and Tom Brady $ to a CB. Lets not forget the 4 milly a year to a fucking punter.

I'm not questioning how good this guy is...but lets not forget he plays against Marshall x2, Bowie x2, and Chambers x2.

Thank you.

Four million for a punter is a complete joke, even when you consider how much the Raiders have to punt.

As for the CB, yes, he is one of the best CB's in the league, no doubt. Still a lot of money for a position that doesn't matter too much (for one on one coverage) when your pass rush is basically non-existent.

Dude why on earth would I want to watch a Raiders game? Id rather slit my own wrists.

My point isnt about how good he is, my point is he got overy paid by at least 4 million a year.

I agree thats hell of money for a punter but you guys dont realize that AL had drafted the 2 best punters to ever play in the NFL. AL wasnt gonna let Shane walk.

the punter for the bears makes what 2.7 mill a year and he isnt half as good as shane.

I do think that, as much as the Raiders need both these guys--and given the state of their offense, they absolutely do need these guys--that kind of money adds up and can hamstring improving the rest of the team.

The bottom line is they are retaining two of the best players at their position (i rarely say anyone is 'the best') and that's a good thing for The Nation. They definitely could be a team on the rise, depending on the improvement of that guy in your Avatar...I'll be pulling for them...getting sick of the charger fans and their bs down here.

that kind of money adds up and can hamstring improving the rest of the team.

Yeah, that's exactly what i was thinking. i don't know their cap situation admittedly.<!-- / message -->

The bottom line is they are retaining two of the best players at their position (i rarely say anyone is 'the best') and that's a good thing for The Nation. They definitely could be a team on the rise, depending on the improvement of that guy in your Avatar...I'll be pulling for them...getting sick of the charger fans and their bs down here.

yeah if Russell dont improve all of this wont mean shit.

but I have hope after watchin the last 3 games (Pats, Hou,Bucs) Russell looked like a whole new QB. I think he started 2 turn the corner after Kwame Harris got benched. if the raiders improve the o-line and give Russell 2 more WR's this offense is only gonna get better.

look at the young core.

QB. Russell
HB- McFadden
HB- Michael Bush
TE- Zach Miller --- best young te in the game and should make the pro bowl soon if you dont wacth the raiders much watch this kid he is a throwback old school te, if the raiders had some real OT's he woldnt have 2 block much and would be even more of a threat in the pass game.
FB - Oren O' Neal << -- dude was a beast b4 he got hurt last year

WR- Higgins <<--- made a name for himself last season and is only gonna get better at WR
WR- Schillens --- 7th rd pick last year he has height and speed all he needs is 2 bulk up and game experience

Im hoping raiders get a OT, C or RG and a young stud WR in the draft to finish this young core on offense

I like Darris Heyward Bey has the most potential of the wr's imo. then get a vet WR

that kind of money adds up and can hamstring improving the rest of the team.

Yeah, that's exactly what i was thinking. i don't know their cap situation admittedly.<!-- / message -->

the aso deal helps the cap all kinds it made a huge difference.

after the Shane deal they were around 5 mill under the cap if they franchised Aso they would be well over the cap.

also when the raiders cut Kwame Harris and Curry (WR) they will save around 10 million on the cap.

I wish Javon Walker would retire so the raiders would save money on his sorry ass :hang:

Yeah, that's exactly what i was thinking. i don't know their cap situation admittedly.

Before these deals were around $116 million and the cap is supposed to be $124 million.

But if Throw's right and the cutting of Harris and Curry saves them $10 million, it might be sort of a wash--and a much better spend of the money.

Part of me just sort of gets this feeling that shelling out this much money in these spots might lock the Raiders into a position like the Cleveland Indians were in a few years ago. Where everybody said they were so smart for signing these young talents to long term deals only to then end up with other young guys, equally or more talented who they didn't then have the money to sign and they had to watch walk away.

Again, their offense is a nightmare, so to have arguably the best shutdown corner and punter in the conference helps them. But if these contracts pinch them to the point that they cannot import talent at the skill positions, they simply lose 23-13 rather than 31-13.

Truth, however, is guys like Russell & McFadden are still unknown quantities where as Aso and Lechler aren't.

What some here seem to be missing is that The Raiders had ZERO choice but to re-sign these two to have any hope of winning within the next 3 years.

ASO (#1 CB in NFL) & Lechler (2nd Best Punter in NFL History) are the TWO BEST PLAYERS on the Raiders...ASO is a Team Leader and Lechler saves our young offense's ass.

They are both worth the $$$ to The Raiders, people...The Raiders other talent is YOUNG AS HELL. (JaMarcus, McFadden, Bush, Zach Miller, etc.)

Both deals are for 3 years...how the hell does that "hamstring" the team's future?

Al Davis will be 80 years old...y'all think he should be playing for 3-5 years down the road? Especially when the AFC West is so damn WEAK right now?

Last edited:
What some here seem to be missing is that The Raiders had ZERO choice but to re-sign these two if they have hopes of winning within the next 3 years.

Actually, I think the only one they 'had' to sign was Aso. I think it was smart to sign Lechler, though I think the actual amount for which they re-signed him can be argued.

Another thing to remember is that the collective bargaining agreement is up after next season. Which means that the 2010 season there will be no cap if I remember correctly.

What some here seem to be missing is that The Raiders had ZERO choice but to re-sign these two if they have hopes of winning within the next 3 years.

Actually, I think the only one they 'had' to sign was Aso. I think it was smart to sign Lechler, though I think the actual amount for which they re-signed him can be argued.

JP...please read my entire edited post...Lechler saves our young offense' ass...they have a BAD TENDENCY of going 3-n-out. (Hell, a great case could be made for Lechler being out Team MVP the past 3-4 seasons.)

He is the only punter to ever average 50 gross & 40 net for a season...the man is AMAZING...hell, The Raiders wasted $8M on DeAngelo Hall for 8 games and y'all think $4M per for Lechler is too much........................:36_11_6:

Especially given the fact they've been one of the WORST teams in the NFL over the last 6 years? (Of course they have to pay a PREMIUM.)

Last edited:
Yeah, that's exactly what i was thinking. i don't know their cap situation admittedly.

Before these deals were around $116 million and the cap is supposed to be $124 million.

But if Throw's right and the cutting of Harris and Curry saves them $10 million, it might be sort of a wash--and a much better spend of the money.

Part of me just sort of gets this feeling that shelling out this much money in these spots might lock the Raiders into a position like the Cleveland Indians were in a few years ago. Where everybody said they were so smart for signing these young talents to long term deals only to then end up with other young guys, equally or more talented who they didn't then have the money to sign and they had to watch walk away.

Again, their offense is a nightmare, so to have arguably the best shutdown corner and punter in the conference helps them. But if these contracts pinch them to the point that they cannot import talent at the skill positions, they simply lose 23-13 rather than 31-13.

Truth, however, is guys like Russell & McFadden are still unknown quantities where as Aso and Lechler aren't.

Disagree: 3 year deals for ASO & Lechler match up well with when Russell, Bush & Miller will need new deals (in 3-4 years)...McFadden is signed for at least 4 more years.

JP...you always look at both sides "of the coin" and I respect that greatly but I think you need to get behind Da Raiders in this case...............:shake:

Mully :cheers:

We're actually a lot closer to being on the same side than you think here, Mully. I think that it was extremely smart to lock these two guys back up. I think it only becomes an issue if they over-paid to the point of it hurting their ability to bring anybody else in--or if it in some way ends up hurting an extension with someone like McFadden or Russell if they pan out.

But I totally agree with you, right now the Raiders are winning the offseason (if there's such a thing) only by hanging on to two of the best guys at their positions in their conference if not the league.

The Raiders wasted $8M on DeAngelo Hall for 8 games and y'all think $4M per for Lechler is too much.

Comparing past Raider contractual transgressions to justify paying 4M a year to Punter is ...:36_11_6:...Mully. The list is endless...

He's a punter for god sakes; if you plan on getting any better on offense in the near future, he'll be even LESS valuable.

The Raiders draft Aztecs...

Morrison...:cheers:

Schillens...:cheers:

:cheers:

Morrison is a hard working, tackling machine...IMO, he's better suited for SLB but he definitely gives 100% at MLB.

Al Davis LOVES him some Schilens...looking for a big year from this kid...athletically gifted (like most Raider draft picks).

We'll have to agree-to-disagree on Lechler...IMO, he's more important to the Raiders than everyone but ASO & Russell...and being the 2nd Best Punter in the HISTORY of the NFL deserves the $$$$. (AS I stated too, have to remember ASO & Lechler are sick of 6 years of LOSING...thus, AD had to overpay to keep them.)

We're actually a lot closer to being on the same side than you think here, Mully. I think that it was extremely smart to lock these two guys back up. I think it only becomes an issue if they over-paid to the point of it hurting their ability to bring anybody else in--or if it in some way ends up hurting an extension with someone like McFadden or Russell if they pan out.

But I totally agree with you, right now the Raiders are winning the offseason (if there's such a thing) only by hanging on to two of the best guys at their positions in their conference if not the league.

:shake:

I think it's also important to remember that these guys have had to play through six years of FUTILITY...so, AD had to overpay to keep them.

My main point is that with such a YOUNG team keeping these two goes far beyond just their stats in importance.

Man, us LONG SUFFERING Raider fans finally get some good news...

If the Raiders win more than 7 games in a year over the next few years I will be impressed.

I would say if they can pick up 5 solid OLinemen they may have a shot.

Admittedly, I'm just clowning but I just dont see how they can get in the playoffs if they keep snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I have never seen any team in any sport dominate 90% of a ton of games and only manage to win about 5% of them.

If the Raiders win more than 7 games in a year over the next few years I will be impressed.

I would say if they can pick up 5 solid OLinemen they may have a shot.

Admittedly, I'm just clowning but I just dont see how they can get in the playoffs if they keep snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I have never seen any team in any sport dominate 90% of a ton of games and only manage to win about 5% of them.

It is that LOSING MENTALITY that has killed the Raiders...and why the last two games of '08 & bringing back Tom Cable as HC was so important.

This young team was abandoned by their HC (Kiffen) during the season...and instead of folding they actually beat a hot Texan squad and knocked Chuckie out of the playoffs in games 15 & 16.

Will this positive vibe continue into next season? That's the BIG Q...

If anybody wants to rip the signing of Tommy Kelly or Javon Walker last year, go ahead. But the signing of Aso and Lechler were great moves. Like someone previously said, you signed the 2 best players at their positions.

Somebody posted a stat last football season about the balls thrown Aso's way and he was DOMINANT. He shut down motherfuckers. And Lechler helped our sorry ass offense with field position because we couldn't move the ball.

The season relies on Russell. So far he has been a bust. This is his 3rd season and he has no excuses. Either put up or shut up and get the fuck out if you can't do anything as a #1 overall.

All Russell needs is a solid PASS blocking OL and a couple BIG FAST WRs

I dont follow the Raiders close enough to know the full extent of their OL but my gut tells me it is more tailored to the run. If the OL can give the guy a little time consistently and you give him a reliable BIG WR they will flourish. I'm familiar with Higgins and I like the kid and wish him well but he needs to EAT every chance he gets. Steal Andre Johnson away from the Texans and you are in business.

Cog I don't think anyone here is saying signing them is bad, but paying them top 3 QB money is simply stupid.

All Russell needs is a solid PASS blocking OL and a couple BIG FAST WRs

I dont follow the Raiders close enough to know the full extent of their OL but my gut tells me it is more tailored to the run. If the OL can give the guy a little time consistently and you give him a reliable BIG WR they will flourish. I'm familiar with Higgins and I like the kid and wish him well but he needs to EAT every chance he gets. Steal Andre Johnson away from the Texans and you are in business.
Your right Purple and gold. The offense excels at the run game but does have problems protecting Russell. I think Russell can do a better job at getting rid of the ball and making better decisions too. The success with the run game should make things easier for Russell but so far it hasn't.

But damn, if we could steal Andre Johnson, that would be sick. The WR position hasn't been a bright spot in a few years. Javon Walker....... no comment on that dueche. Randy Moss didn't want to play when losing.

Russell is terrible.

He holds onto the ball too long .. he is amazingly not mobile.....he makes inaccurate passes...he hs no touch on the short routes .... he makes bad decisions ....he lacks leadership qualities ..... he is a nightmare. Big guy with a big arm does not equal a good qb.

The Aso signing was huge. Best DB in the game and if you went back and looked at the great raider teams of the past they always had great cornerback play ... Willie Brown , michael haynes , lester hayes etc etc etc ....... the only real bust we ever had at that position was charles woodson, who i guess is playing better since he left the raiders ... damn that guy was so over rated it made me throwup. He got burned more times than i ever care to count. Besides marcus allen , i think woodson may be my least favorite raider EVER ...( jay shroeder (sp ? ) and marc wilson be damned ).

Anyway , as a fan i liked the signings which makes me think it was good for the raiders.

BTW ...teams that have not been to the superbowl since the last time the raiders were in

Longest active Super Bowl appearance drought<TABLE class=wikitable><TBODY><TR><TH>Team</TH><TH>Last League Championship game
Pre-Super Bowl era
(1920-1965)
</TH><TH>Seasons</TH></TR><TR><TD>Detroit Lions</TD><TD>NFL Championship Game, 1957</TD><TD>51</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cleveland Browns</TD><TD>NFL Championship Game, 1965</TD><TD>43</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TH>Team</TH><TH>Last appearance
Super Bowl
(1966-present)
</TH><TH>Seasons</TH></TR><TR><TD>New Orleans Saints</TD><TD>Never (franchise started in 1967)</TD><TD>42</TD></TR><TR><TD>New York Jets</TD><TD>Super Bowl III</TD><TD>40</TD></TR><TR><TD>Kansas City Chiefs</TD><TD>Super Bowl IV</TD><TD>39</TD></TR><TR><TD>Minnesota Vikings</TD><TD>Super Bowl XI</TD><TD>32</TD></TR><TR><TD>Miami Dolphins</TD><TD>Super Bowl XIX</TD><TD>24</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cincinnati Bengals</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXIII</TD><TD>20</TD></TR><TR><TD>Washington Redskins</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXVI</TD><TD>16</TD></TR><TR><TD>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXVIII</TD><TD>14</TD></TR><TR><TD>San Diego Chargers</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXIX</TD><TD>13</TD></TR><TR><TD>San Francisco 49ers</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXIX</TD><TD>13</TD></TR><TR><TD>Jacksonville Jaguars</TD><TD>Never (franchise started in 1995)</TD><TD>12</TD></TR><TR><TD>Dallas Cowboys</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXX</TD><TD>12</TD></TR><TR><TD>Green Bay Packers</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXXII</TD><TD>11</TD></TR><TR><TD>Atlanta Falcons</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXXIII</TD><TD>10</TD></TR><TR><TD>Denver Broncos</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXXIII</TD><TD>10</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tennessee Titans</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXXIV</TD><TD>9</TD></TR><TR><TD>Baltimore Ravens</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXXV</TD><TD>8</TD></TR><TR><TD>St. Louis Rams</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXXVI</TD><TD>7</TD></TR><TR><TD>Houston Texans</TD><TD>Never (franchise started in 2002)</TD><TD>6</TD></TR><TR><TD>Oakland Raiders</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXXVII</TD><TD>6</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tampa Bay Buccaneers</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXXVII</TD><TD>6</TD></TR><TR><TD>Carolina Panthers</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXXVIII</TD><TD>5</TD></TR><TR><TD>Philadelphia Eagles</TD><TD>Super Bowl XXXIX</TD><TD>4</TD></TR><TR><TD>Seattle Seahawks</TD><TD>Super Bowl XL</TD><TD>3</TD></TR><TR><TD>Chicago Bears</TD><TD>Super Bowl XLI</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR><TD>Indianapolis Colts</TD><TD>Super Bowl XLI</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR><TD>New York Giants</TD><TD>Super Bowl XLII</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR><TD>New England Patriots</TD><TD>Super Bowl XLII</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR><TD>Arizona Cardinals</TD><TD>Super Bowl XLIII</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR><TD>Pittsburgh Steelers</TD><TD>Super Bowl XLIII</TD><TD>--</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

they hate al davis because the dude kicks ass.

Russell actually has showed great decision making.

The reason why his completion percentage was so low is because Kiffen had him throwing the ball away whenever there was no one open (which was all the time)
Just look at his interception totals, very low.

Russell has a break out season this year and makes the Pro Bowl

Russell actually has showed great decision making.

The reason why his completion percentage was so low is because Kiffen had him throwing the ball away whenever there was no one open (which was all the time)
Just look at his interception totals, very low.

Russell has a break out season this year and makes the Pro Bowl

he takes the sack. now some of that is terrible oline play .. but some of it is him holding onto the ball way too long.

he had 210 yards of sack yardage lsot on just 368 attempts ... you are right that his interception percent wasn't that bad ( in fact top ten ) ..but that isn't the only determinant of decision making .....

why was russell throwing it away when the guy wasn't open ??? because he cant go past the initial read. kyle orton had a better passer rating for heavens sake.

can he improve ?? sure , i am cheering for him to do so .. but i dont see it.

Back