AFC Championship: Jacksonville @ New England Discussion

So this line went 10 to 9.5 down to 8 and back to 9 then 9.5...

Lotta early movement for this 'free money' game.

Back tomorrow to discuss more.

Jags had only 1 negative yardage play on 60+ snaps vs the Cloth Curtain D, and it was an unforced error on a bobbled snap. Pats front 7 will have their hands full but we thought they might against Tenn and they held Henry to 2.3 yards per carry and collected 8 sacks.

Defensively Jax seems to have the type of formula to give NE fits (i.e. the Giants/Ravens formula): strong pass rush with just 4, solid secondary, and the ability to create timely turnovers and cash them in.

Steelers rarely used a no-huddle and left some plays on the field that NE would almost certainly cash, however Tawmmy isn't going to be able scramble like Ben did, and he won't have the luxury of the playground miracles that AB pulled off either.

After divisional round overs I think this one will flip to the under side. Naturally this makes a two score spread tougher to cover.

This is a gigantic miss match in terms of how the teams play. Gandy nailed, but Tom struggles with mean/strong defensive teams. Yeah i know the Jags gave up 40+ to the Steelers and the 49ers. 49ers was a horrific spot for the Jags (winning the division for the first time in forever) and the Steelers game was never as close as the score indicated. If Ben doesn't have AB-Goat...they're fucked.

This game comes down to Bortles. I think the Pats will stack the fuck out of the box, and allow alot of M2M coverage. I think the anything over a TD is a gift, and I would dabble on the ML

Gandolf I love you buddy but there is no formula to beat the Pats! Trust me on this one.

Sure the ravens beat the pats once and giants win twice. But that was years ago. The pats have learned from that. Giants also fluked crazy catches by Tyree and Manningham. So in reality the pats could have won those games.

Pats cane back from 10 in fourth qtr vs Seattle who was an elite defensive unit.

They came back from 25 down in the second half to one of the all time best offfenses.

There is no formula to beat them.

They have evolved. They are smarter now.

With the pats formations they are just too good for the league.
I mean when they go hurry up you can see the opponents panicking like they are in a navy seals boot camp sucking wind.

They have evolved past competition.

Pats do what they want when they want.
They find the matchups and crush you.

They are clutch. There is no formula

They are one hit away from QB Bobby Hoyer

Brady is too good to get hit. He has fast feet like Rafael nadal and he dictates to the defense what’s up. Not the other way around.

I’m a little shocked at people posting that defenses can give brady trouble.

I’m also shocked about comments about this supposed formula to beat the Pats.

There is no formula.

The only way pats will lose is if Belly and Brady split up.
Or if Brady actually has a life and decides to do regular life things instead of studying film 100 hours a week.
Or if Belly stops caring and doesent put his entire life into this patriots organization.

It sucks when a team is this dominant because like Jordan yiu just know they are winning.

However let’s use this as an opportunity to make some $$$.

Teams like this pats squad are the teams that we should be playing huge plays on. Like 5 grand prop bets to win afc. Like 5 grand to win super bowl.

There is no better opportunity out there. This team is light years ahead of every other team.

Just look at the other 3 qbs and try to convince me we aren’t going to see brady win at least 8 Super Bowls?

i agree with gandy that the pats struggle with a pass rush that absorbs the middle and doesn't allow tommy to step up into the pocket, not sure i would label their secondary solid, (servicable comes to mind)....but maybe i am not giving them the credit they deserve....i still see brady picking them apart in the 7-12 yard range....i do not see cooks having an impact because i think the jags will physical him and he too small to fight back, he will only be an impact if he gets open and he might, i doubt it....the matchup that i think will be impactful to the largest degree is whether of not lewis can get his yards and i doubt if he can because the jag run d is so good, if he gets his yards the jags have no chance because it just leaves so many options to tommy at the line and he audibles as well as anyone, uncanny actually... but i can't see lewis running much so it will be pass pass pass if he can't and most of those will be the short variety which will chew clock so i can see gandy's point on the under, it was my initial thought, but it's hard to bet under in a pats game because if they put up 35 then all the opponent has to do is score a td and a couple fgs....so as i cap this game i keep asking myself.....how do the jags score any points in this game?....bortles is bortles and he may have a good game but that is questionable and if he does, what makes us think it's going to be enough, the pats d is so underrated, they started the year so poorly as they were getting their shit together that after 5-6 games their stats were so bad that they were never going to look good on overall season stats but look at the last ten games....they haven't been scored on and they are as healthy right now as they have been since hightower went down, the jags don't pass that great, they don't run that great their o line is good but not great....how are they going to score....the pats d in the red zone is very very good, i don't know how they do it, they look like a sieve between the 25 and the 25 and then all of a sudden they stop most every play....so the only way i see this game being close is if the jags d has the game of their life and the pats turn the ball over (which they just don't do often) the jags could do that and if they do it will be a low scoring fight to the finish and they will cover....realistically what will happen is that the jags will have trouble scoring while the pats put up a couple tds in the first half and then another in the 3rd and maybe a fg or two along the way and the final ends up somewhere around 24-9 or 27-10 or something like that....my two cents but i am a homer note: i did take the points with the jags and i teased them up vs pitt ( tomlin my main reason) but you cannot look at that game and use it to cap this one, it was an aberration....all this imho as i realize there are a lot of smart guys on this sight and i value their opinion

There's also a special rub it in their nose factor for Pittsburgh when James Harrison sees 45% of the D snaps for NE while the Steelers give up 38 points to Blake Bortles. That is just delicious.

statistical data

since the rough start (4 games) the pats have surrendered

27 (debacle in miami, i was there,they were asleep, pathetic)
24 (big ben)
14 (playoff)

thats exactly 14 points per game on average for 13 games

take out the debacle in miami and big ben and the other 11 games the average was 11.9 per game

so lets give the jags 14 and add the line 9.5 (current) and ask ourselves...can the jags hold the pats to 24 points...it's possible so it's probably a pretty good line

Totally agree Bj player on Brandin Crooks.

Crooks is pathetic. Just a terrible terrible football player. Very weak and small.

Bree’s used him inside the warm dome and all he can run is straight down the sidelines on a go route. Bree’s was amazing at that type of throw.
The one TEAPOT in Brady’s game is that deep sideline throw, his body trajectory isn’t right for that deep throws.

Jags will beat up crooks and he won’t be a factor.

Pats secondary I believe is the most underrated unit in the history of the league.

2 pro bowl calibre corners in Butler and Gilmore

Pro bowl free safety Devin McCoury.

Strong safety Patrick Chung-

Durian harmon emotional leader.

These guys have played together for a while.

This unit is good.

statistical data

since the rough start (4 games) the pats have surrendered

27 (debacle in miami, i was there,they were asleep, pathetic)
24 (big ben)
14 (playoff)

thats exactly 14 points per game on average for 13 games

take out the debacle in miami and big ben and the other 11 games the average was 11.9 per game

so lets give the jags 14 and add the line 9.5 (current) and ask ourselves...can the jags hold the pats to 24 points...it's possible so it's probably a pretty good line

Jags can’t hold the pats to less than 24 unless the weather is really bad. Or unless they can control the clock with 8 minute drives.

You may be right about Deion Lewis not being able to run on the Jags although currently I have Deion Lewis ranked as the best running back in the league by a mile.
However let’s assume pats can’t run.

What do you get? You get More of brady throwing all day and tiring the jags pass rush out. Brady will try and run as many plays as possible then in order to get to about 60-70 plays so eventually the jags will quit.
They did this to Atlanta. They did it to Seattle the year before.

As with this formula of pressuring up the middle in Brady’s face I’m pretty sure that NO QB can win with pressure right in his face?

With that being said hard to go against perfection!
With the apparent Giants pressure in Brady’s face remember this stat.

Tom Brady has been leading every single super bowl he has played in. Both giants losses he scored late points to give his team the lead. He did it bs Seattle and vs Atlanta.
The guy is as clutch as Jordan if not even way better than Jordan ever was.

Right now as we speak in the Pats locker room I can guarantee this is what is written.

1- STOP LEONARD FOURNETTE AT ALL COST

2-STOP BORTLES FROM RUNNING.

Bortles running and scrambling has been the story of the season. Bortles is taking off so much for first downs.

I think Belly will take his runs away and also take Fournette away and then the game is on the arm of the one the only Blake Brick Bortles!

Well,

Lets take out the bad teams...

Patriots vs Playoff opponents:

Have given up...in regular season

7 (atlanta fog game)
3/16 (Buffalo)

So, even with a fog game and the buffalo games we are at 19 ppg...

So, not a huge difference but a pretty solid one...

The league is in major decline. Trump was right in ripping the quality of the league.

Brady lost before to the Ravens because the Ravens has guys like Ed Reed A young Suggs Ray Lewis Haloti NGATA.
These guys are all hall of famers.

Denver beat them one year due to home field and hall of famers Ware and Vinny Miller and Talib and Ward and Marshall and Trevathan.

IMO this game’s key is Doug Marrone.

Does he have the balls to say hey you know what The 6’11 Meathead Gronk is going to abuse all our linebackers. Do we put our Alpha Male Jalen Ramsey on the meathead?

The real formula to beating the Pats is for a team to STOP THE MEATHEAD. Not allow the meathead to make his usual 4-5 crucial long catches that result in td drives.
No team in the past 3 seasons has stopped the Meathead. Last team to stop the meathead was Denver and they beat the Pats en route to the super bowl.

Seattle couldn’t stop the meathead. He burned KJ Wright for a long td and burned Kam chancellor on a key long pass on the go ahead score.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE MEATHEAD!

If Marrone puts Ramsey on the meathead it means he wants to win and understands the new formula to beat the PATS.

PUT THE GAME IN AMENDOLA, Hogan and Crooks hands.

Limit the meathead if you wanna win.

I know this is nothing new but front 4 pressure in Brady’s face. Only way to stop pats. If they don’t pats win easy. If they get pressure probably keep it close and could upset them.

Well,

Lets take out the bad teams...

Patriots vs Playoff opponents:

Have given up...in regular season

7 (atlanta fog game)
3/16 (Buffalo)

So, even with a fog game and the buffalo games we are at 19 ppg...

So, not a huge difference but a pretty solid one...

good point actually and reminds me that the pats played a creampuff schedule....easiest of all i think.....which worries me a little

good point actually and reminds me that the pats played a creampuff schedule....easiest of all i think.....which worries me a little

Pats beat the Saints early on this season.
Pats beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh.
Pats beat Titans a playoff team.
Pats beat Atlanta
Pats beat Carolina
Pats beat Houston with desean.

That’s a pretty normal schedule.

Jags played the same schedule with a few harder teams like the ravens and rams.

But as much I would love to see brady and the pats fall it’s not happening.

Pats beat the Saints early on this season.
Pats beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh.
Pats beat Titans a playoff team.
Pats beat Atlanta
Pats beat Carolina
Pats beat Houston with desean.

That’s a pretty normal schedule. I’m fairly sure it’s the jags who played an easy schedule.

Pats did not beat Carolina
Two quality wins there. Zero to hang the hat on. I'm in the midst of writing a post but had to comment

Pats did not beat Carolina
Two quality wins there. Zero to hang the hat on. I'm in the midst of writing a post but had to comment

I agree my friends. Last year the pats didn’t play a hard schedule either.

But you can only play your schedule.

I think it’s about clutchness.

Miami beat the pats.

Cam wake and Suh really pressured brady that game.

It’s pretty much the pass rush vs Brady. If the pass rush can generate crazy pressure you can limit brady.

Because if you cannot pressure there is no secondary now or ever that could stop this guys passes.

I think if brady has time to throw he could complretr passes routinely vs even 13-14 defenders.
The guy is too accurate.

i guess i'll pile on with the cat man here.....i love all his posts....lol

how easy is it for the pats this year, everything has gone their way, this may be the easiest they have ever had it to get to and win the bowl, this is who stands in their way...blake bortles, case keenum and nick foles and if that wasn't easy enough the jags best player got hurt this past weekend with an ankle injury

in the brady/belly era they have played a team in the playoffs 14 times that they did not play in the regular season....score 14-0

blake bortles nfl stats 4 years 64 interceptions < 60% completion rate

the pats just manhandled the titans....the titans beat the jags twice

the jags barely got by the bill 10-3.....the pats beat the bills twice with a combined score 60-19

jags vaunted d.....big ben just torched them for 469 yards and 5 td's

bill belichick/tom brady vs doug maroon/blake bortles....somewhere along the line maroon will lose his football mind and bortles will throw a pic

i bet against the pats occasionally when i think the line is too big but last week i unloaded on them and can't see any reason i won't again this week

Maneki. I love the enthusiasm. You have referred to the Patriots as perfect multiple times. This team is far from perfect.

Their offense is solid. Arguably best in the league.

I'm a big DVOA fan because it values every single play. And I like QBR

Here are some of the Defensive DVOA ranks they played this year:

32, 30 (lost) 29, 28 twice (lost once), 23, 21, 18 twice

Highest Defensive DVOA they Faced? 7. The Chargers. The Jaguars rank #1

Speaking of said Chargers, here is a list of QBs the Vaunted 31st rated defense of the Patriots played since that game; (For reference Wentz had a QBR of 75, and Brady 67. Those are good)

Brock Osweiler: Enough Said. QBR 47.1
Derek Carr: QBR worse than Osweiler 46.7
Matt Moore: QBR 38.6
Tyrod/Peterman: It wasn't good
Jay Cutler: QBR of 41. Dropped 263 and 3 TDs
Big Ben: 22/30 282 2 TD and one I'll advised toss. Easily the best QB they faced in this span. QBR of 63
Tyrod again: QBR of 53. Bills had them on the ropes. If that TD doesn't get overturned, Bills go into half with the lead
Bryce Petty: LOL
Marcus Mariota: 13 TD/ 15 INT. Awful season.

I am well aware of the "you play the teams on your schedule" argument and it's not their fault they played these shitbags.

I just very much feel that if you got rid of names, jerseys, etc and put these two teams next to each other, the gap is not a 9.5 point margin. And BB is not going to tap dance all over Marrone like he did Mularkey and would have with Tomlin.

I'll have more as we go but let's get some perspective here. This team finished 6th on the season in DVOA. This isn't a great Pats team in the annals of their history. Could they still win it all, well sure they def could.

I'm just having a hard time reading this Patriots blowjob thread without calling to mind some glaring issues with their "greatness".

Last edited:

bill belichick/tom brady vs doug maroon/blake bortles....somewhere along the line maroon will lose his football mind and bortles will throw a pic

Typically when a team is down 21-0 very early, passing stats do tend to get inflated.

I apparently have a higher opinion of Marrone than most. This team plays hard and disciplined.

Capaholic can you advise us on this character Doug Marrone.

I have a sneaky suspicion that he might be really good.
I say this because of his success at Syracuse.

And then he completely took a team of losers and made them winners. Yiu have to be smart to do that.

He obviously is a good coach. He likely already is in the top 3 coaches in the league.

He could be another Jim harbaugh with the 49 ers.

Capaholic I think a jags moneyline play would be more suitable.

If jags are going to cover it would be an outright win.

A lot has been said about bortles but he is playing the best ball of his career.

Marquise lee is catching a lot.

Bortles running a lot.

Can’t discount that bortles is playing well.

He’s playing much better than Mariotta was.

Also how good is the jags pass rush?

I feel Fowler ya nick or campbell are all capable of no shows.

Their pass rush seems great but they couldn’t sack Big Ben much.

Also brady you won’t sack him as he gets rid of the ball very fast. Add in hurry up and no threat of sacking him.

The game imo is between 2 guys—

Josh McDaniels vs Jags Defense coordinator.

Whoever wins this matchup wins the spread.

If Jags win this matchup they can win outright.

If McDaniels wins this matchup easily Pats win big.

But lately it seems that McDaniels is getting smarter. He adjusts on the fly and really knows how to use formations and multiple receivers and attacking weak links.

Also Pats have the edge with the owners.

KRAFT and his skinny bald headed son are hands down better than Khan and his funny moustache.

the pats just manhandled the titans....the titans beat the jags twice

I hate transitive property in betting. So you bet on the Steelers last week since they beat the Titans who beat the Jags?

the jags barely got by the bill 10-3.....the pats beat the bills twice with a combined score 60-19

So? The Jags beat the Steelers by a wider margin than the score indicated. The Pats squeaked by after a very controversial call

Playing from behind and with nfl‘s best receivers. Quick Steelers scores bred quick scores from Jags O, it was the nature of the game. 49ers torched them too but defense came back after that.

Jags have one thing that pats haven't faced before this year and that's two corners who can cover and potentially win matchups with Ramsey and bouye on Gronk and cooks. With a defense this good this is when the pats finally miss edelman.

Because if the jags DBs play how they have all year. You take away the two big weapons, or minimize them. The rely on the rest of the d to watch Lewis, Hogan, Amendola and the rest.

The issue for the pats is those are all underneath guys who they want to get the ball too quickly or in screen type passes which you can't do against what is probably the fastest d in the league. For them to sustain drives someone is going to need to catch balls of the 10-20 yard variety from that group after Gronk/cooks. If they can get that production and score early they win

For the jags

Fournette should get 25-30 touches but ivory and Yeldon need 5-10 as well. Pats can be run on and they are a pretty small front 7. If you overpower them and force them to play the run it opens play action (scary thing for them is if it gets there this is where the vikings would feast on them)

If you think the jags can run, and that Ramsey and bouye come to play it's a close game and the jags can win. If the pats can take away the run, and everyone will point to belichek being able to take away what someone does best, then pats are going to keep them under 17 barring d/st scores and if you think pats can score in the high 20s they prolly cover

I lean the former, I think jags are so elite on d and have an advantage in rushing vs the pats d that unless they go down 3 score early they control the LOS and it stays within 1 score and comes down to the last few drives

Just don't see this jags team being blown out. That defense is a professional unit. In games that have mattered they have shown up almost all year.

I understand putting best on best, but the Jags have two LBs that will match up well with Gronk in a standard defensive set ( Jack & Smith). Ramsey could be used to cover a WR.

Any significance to Tom Coughlin being in the Jags organization? Seems like he would be a good asset for Marone in this one.

It’s a massive factor because Coughlin already beat the Pats twice in the super bowl.

So if anything he has success and knows how to beat this team.

He is also the only other guy who devotes his entire life to football. He is ruthless.

The combo of Cougjlin and Marrone is smart enough to potentially dispatch the pats.

Coughlin is no joke. He knows how to win

Jags have one thing that pats haven't faced before this year and that's two corners who can cover and potentially win matchups with Ramsey and bouye on Gronk and cooks. With a defense this good this is when the pats finally miss edelman.

Because if the jags DBs play how they have all year. You take away the two big weapons, or minimize them. The rely on the rest of the d to watch Lewis, Hogan, Amendola and the rest.

The issue for the pats is those are all underneath guys who they want to get the ball too quickly or in screen type passes which you can't do against what is probably the fastest d in the league. For them to sustain drives someone is going to need to catch balls of the 10-20 yard variety from that group after Gronk/cooks. If they can get that production and score early they win

For the jags

Fournette should get 25-30 touches but ivory and Yeldon need 5-10 as well. Pats can be run on and they are a pretty small front 7. If you overpower them and force them to play the run it opens play action (scary thing for them is if it gets there this is where the vikings would feast on them)

If you think the jags can run, and that Ramsey and bouye come to play it's a close game and the jags can win. If the pats can take away the run, and everyone will point to belichek being able to take away what someone does best, then pats are going to keep them under 17 barring d/st scores and if you think pats can score in the high 20s they prolly cover

I lean the former, I think jags are so elite on d and have an advantage in rushing vs the pats d that unless they go down 3 score early they control the LOS and it stays within 1 score and comes down to the last few drives

Just don't see this jags team being blown out. That defense is a professional unit. In games that have mattered they have shown up almost all year.

They could totally miss Edelman as he is the best receiver in the league. He is the safety blanket of brady.

Crooks is no factor bro. Doug Marrone himself could probably cover him. Its cold and crooks is scared of cold weather and has really small hands. Not built for outdoor big boy football.

I think it’s going to come down to Brady and Gronk. There is no indication if Jags will Use Ramsey on Gronk or use Jack Myles and Smith Telvin.

The issue with linebackers is that they are usually around 6’2 with stout bodies. They don’t have a good wing span.

Gronkowski Rob has a 7’3 wingspan making it impossible for shorter linebackers to stop him. When he breaks on his route he creates instant separation.

The only way to cover him is with speed. Someone has to overcome the 7’3 wingspan by being fast enough to cut in front of Gronk to get inside position.

I would just use 2 guys at the line of scrimmage to jam him every play. Take him right out of the game

Then use the other 9 guys to cover Crooks Anrmdila Hogan.

This is how you win. But no nfl coach does what Belly does. He takes away your best player.

Teams never take Gronk away. Just put 2 guys on him at the line of scrimmage and take him out.

I understand putting best on best, but the Jags have two LBs that will match up well with Gronk in a standard defensive set ( Jack & Smith). Ramsey could be used to cover a WR.

Using Ramsey on a wide out is a waste. Crooks is garbage. He covers himself by dropping passes and stopping on routes. Brady rarely connects with him downfield. Brady knows Crooks is garbage.

Ramsey on Gronk is the matchup where jags should exploit. Give Ramsey safety help and take the Gronk right out of this game. Pull a Bellichek and dint allow w him to catch a single pass.

I would feel amazing if I was the jags and I knew that jags only had to cover Crooks AMENDOLA and Hogan. Very winnable matchups.

I can’t see brady winning without the Gronk because they need him without the best receiver in the game Edelman being hurt

Guaranteed you are right.

Edelman single handily won both super bowls vs Seattle and vs falcons.

He made ridiculous catches in the fourth quarters. He caught game tying he caught gane winning cs Seattle.

He made that catch vs falcons 1 on 4 because he is the most clutch receiver in the game.

Missing him hasn’t effected them because brady uses a 6’11 meathead Gronk with a 7’4 wingspan to continually abuse Nfl defenders.

Take Gronk out and I can’t see pats winning.

putting two guys on gronk won't work.....it opens up amendola, cooks, hogan, and white, lewis out of the backfield....too much fire power, brady will pick that secondary apart if they double gronk....you gotta get to brady if your going to stop them and the o line for pats is as healthy and coordinated as it's been all year.....the jags will have a tougher time scoring on the pats d then the pats will have scoring on the jags d

Can the Jags get to Brady? Can Bortles play like he did vs Pitt? Is Fournette going to be 100%? Like Jags to keep it close unless you have a qtr like the “2nd qtr kill” pats vs tenn....refs dominated that qtr for Pats

Z
putting two guys on gronk won't work.....it opens up amendola, cooks, hogan, and white, lewis out of the backfield....too much fire power, brady will pick that secondary apart if they double gronk....you gotta get to brady if your going to stop them and the o line for pats is as healthy and coordinated as it's been all year.....the jags will have a tougher time scoring on the pats d then the pats will have scoring on the jags d

It may not work as McDaniels is very smart. He will find some area to exploit.

There may be no point then for the jags?

Because if they can’t double Gronk he will just run downfield and turn right or left and get 15-20 anytime he wants and there IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING THAT THE JAGS CAN DO IS EXCEPT WATCH HIM DOMINATE.

After the beating the Gronk put on Tomlin in that matchup where he just ran upfield for 3 easy long passes vs double coverage he gave notice to the entire league that he is the Lebron Janes if the nfl. He said no one can cover me.

Now Tennesee got cute and said hey we have a guy #31 Baird who has 8 interceptions and is a pro bowl type guy.
Let’s use him to cover the Gronk. While #31 played hard he was no match for the 7’4 wingspan of the Gronk and brady abused them with the Gronk.

Hard to believe tenny wouldn’t be better off doubling the Gronk ?

Until teams start drafting guys with a Teyshaun Prince body who stand 6’9 tall with a 7’5 wingspan the Gronk will not be stopped. Teams need a guy with the same wingspan to stop him.

Last edited:
Back