***2023 Recruiting Thread***

Really good day for Alabama. Hoping to pull Desmond Ricks tomorrow, but it sounds like he's going to LSU

We don’t offer up front NIL money. Maybe he’ll make more at Alabama but it wasn’t paid upfront or as a payment for committing
However it happened, I’m sure something was sweetened. LSU has like 2 CBs on roster returning.

What does “up front NIL money” mean. Surely you don’t believe Bama doesn’t buy players.
Cmon brother.

However it happened, I’m sure something was sweetened. LSU has like 2 CBs on roster returning.

What does “up front NIL money” mean. Surely you don’t believe Bama doesn’t buy players.
Cmon brother.

We need CBs too. As far as I know, our collective does not give out a dime to a player until he is enrolled. I’m sure promises are made, but no money changes hands until they are on campus. Was the basis of Saban’s rant against Jimbo last year. I know people don’t want to believe it, but it’s true. I’m not saying LSU is either. I think we can all list the schools that are.

Base salaries plz then let guys do the endorsement thing.

Simplest "start" to this that was bypassed.
First few years was always going to go nuts

Teams that succeed once it settles are gonna be ones who have an AD or more likely outside consultant for legal reasons, who sets up a system like base salaries for the majority of the team, not just one offs for big names

Even if it's like, company A sponsors the OL every year and every guy gets a base plus bonuses, company B sponsors the WRs etc.

Think a few baskets teams have deals with car dealers where whole team gets a lease while playing and owns if they graduate

That kinda stuff

First few years was always going to go nuts

Teams that succeed once it settles are gonna be ones who have an AD or more likely outside consultant for legal reasons, who sets up a system like base salaries for the majority of the team, not just one offs for big names

Even if it's like, company A sponsors the OL every year and every guy gets a base plus bonuses, company B sponsors the WRs etc.

Think a few baskets teams have deals with car dealers where whole team gets a lease while playing and owns if they graduate

That kinda stuff
I think last year a lot of programs were just feeling it out, while others went balls to the wall. With the first year under their belts, schools were able to adjust and organize. Oregon has like 3 or 4 former Nike executives running their collective, so it's not unexpected that they did really well this year. While NIL will always be a factor moving forward, and maybe the most important one, I don't think it's fair to assume that all these players are "bought." Every serious program will be competitive from an NIL standpoint. And if a program isn't, they will struggle for sure. But things like development, geography, schematic fit and relationships will still matter

So now Peyton Bowen is flipping from Oregon to Oklahoma? That's a lot of action in a couple of days

I think last year a lot of programs were just feeling it out, while others went balls to the wall. With the first year under their belts, schools were able to adjust and organize. Oregon has like 3 or 4 former Nike executives running their collective, so it's not unexpected that they did really well this year. While NIL will always be a factor moving forward, and maybe the most important one, I don't think it's fair to assume that all these players are "bought." Every serious program will be competitive from an NIL standpoint. And if a program isn't, they will struggle for sure. But things like development, geography, schematic fit and relationships will still matter
I do think the benefit is going to end up being guys stay longer too, outside the 1st round guys

Boutte a good example for next year

I do think the benefit is going to end up being guys stay longer too, outside the 1st round guys

Oh 100%. There's a lot of good to NIL. But predictably, the NCAA allowed it to start out as the wild west and are now trying to retroactively police it. Good luck

100%

Don't be surprised when/if Corum comes back to UM next year.

Established guy likely makes more money here next year than as a 3rd to 4th round pick..

Crossing sports... Same school... Hunter Dickinson... Likely a Euro guy when all said and done. Making very solid money here being back...

That's the Mich pitch -- transformative vs Transactional

Get here, make the money. No guarantees up front.

100%

Don't be surprised when/if Corum comes back to UM next year.

Established guy likely makes more money here next year than as a 3rd to 4th round pick..

Crossing sports... Same school... Hunter Dickinson... Likely a Euro guy when all said and done. Making very solid money here being back...

That's the Mich pitch -- transformative vs Transactional

Get here, make the money. No guarantees up front.
Basketball is the big winner imo

We are going to see so many more teams that stay together for 2-3 years compared to the last 20 years, since you only really need to pay 3-5 guys to do it, and like you say just delays europe for a few years for most

We are going to see so many more teams that stay together for 2-3 years compared to the last 20 years, since you only really need to pay 3-5 guys to do it, and like you say just delays europe for a few years for most
Agree totally

Peyton Bowen flipped from N Dame to Oregon on signing day. Flipped from Oregon to Oklahoma today.

No real surprise there. Everyone expected him to sign with OU yesterday. He's only a two-hour drive from the campus. His girlfriend is going to OU next year. His mother wanted him to go to OU. His QB--both of them are 5-stars--is going to OU.

I think it spreads talent out better for sure. CBB was kinda paying anyway at the big schools for years

Same old story. Saban brings up a hot button issue. Last year it was NIL and Jimbo. Media writes story that Saban can't deal with the new rules, etc. Saban then goes Death Star on college football.
Saban doesn’t midnight mauraude anyone else quite like he does LSU

I didn't think about that, but I believe you're absolutely right. Will be much easier to build a program if you can keep some guys around for 2-3 years

Lotta smoke at the Under Armor game that Cormani McLain is leaning Alabama.

Oh, he cancelled his Jorja visit!?

Interesting indeed.

He's in Lincoln with brother and dad even though it's a dead period. Visiting uncle......

Rumor is he's been recruiting for us. Some pretty highly rated kids are scheduled to visit in March.

He's in Lincoln with brother and dad even though it's a dead period. Visiting uncle......

Rumor is he's been recruiting for us. Some pretty highly rated kids are scheduled to visit in March.
Nebraska seems like one of the schools that could really benefit from NIL. Other than recent performance, it is an elite college program in my mind. Top notch support, facilities (I assume, don't know for sure), willingness to invest in program, and tradition/history. Geographic proximity to talent shouldn't be the roadblock it used to be, and with a good NIL program, don't see why they can't elevate. I assume the B1G has stricter admission/eligibility standards than the other conferences, but they can't be that difficult to overcome

Nebraska seems like one of the schools that could really benefit from NIL. Other than recent performance, it is an elite college program in my mind. Top notch support, facilities (I assume, don't know for sure), willingness to invest in program, and tradition/history. Geographic proximity to talent shouldn't be the roadblock it used to be, and with a good NIL program, don't see why they can't elevate. I assume the B1G has stricter admission/eligibility standards than the other conferences, but they can't be that difficult to overcome

They're currently building what they think will be the top facility in the country. If they get Raiola, I think they'll end up with a top 5 class.

Earnest Campbell(refugio) commits to the Ags
10.22 in the 100
4.2 in the 40
Wants to run track and play foots

Back