2021 offseason thread

Montreal is going to be in for quite the rude awakening if they think that playoff run was anything other than an extreme fluke.
Goal Caufield will be great with Suzuki in the future, but they lack scoring. It showed that the team relied heavily on their D and Price and when they got fatigued, we saw what happened.

Last edited:
Buffalo Sabres forward Jeff Skinner has agreed to waive his no-movement clause, freeing the team from having to protect him during the Seattle Kraken’s expansion draft next week.

there's some noise that weber may not play next year and could actually be done with a few injuries compounding one another.

there's some noise that weber may not play next year and could actually be done with a few injuries compounding one another.
Which would be total bullshit if hes gonna LtiRetire and the preds and canadians dont get the cap recapture

Canucks got it for a deal signed before the fuckin rule was in place in the new CBA, and then luongo decides to retire rather than go on ltir, and the panthers give him a job, so convenient

David pagnotta reporting that the leafs are trying to make a deal with Seattle so they take kerfot and want to pursue landeskog “because” he spends part of his off-season in Toronto. Apparnrly 5.5 was what was offered to landeskog.
Not really buying it, but if it’s truly just a little above what we would have paid hyman I’m okay with it.

Sounds like its between Minnesota and the Rangers for Eichel and I hope Minnesota wins out. Drury should not risk his job on an injured player with a huge cap hit.

Sounds like its between Minnesota and the Rangers for Eichel and I hope Minnesota wins out. Drury should not risk his job on an injured player with a huge cap hit.
Was reading that if you guys did get Eichel there's basically no way to resign zibanajad next year.

I'd take zibanajad and whatever package you'd have to give up over Eichel.

Athletic said rangers are one of the teams in on Tarasenko, panarin is pushing and wants him they are buddies, that makes more sense since he would be way cheaper and only has 2 years left on his deal.

David pagnotta reporting that the leafs are trying to make a deal with Seattle so they take kerfot and want to pursue landeskog “because” he spends part of his off-season in Toronto. Apparnrly 5.5 was what was offered to landeskog.
Not really buying it, but if it’s truly just a little above what we would have paid hyman I’m okay with it.
Don't see anyway he takes 5.5

Was reading that if you guys did get Eichel there's basically no way to resign zibanajad next year.

I'd take zibanajad and whatever package you'd have to give up over Eichel.

Athletic said rangers are one of the teams in on Tarasenko, panarin is pushing and wants him they are buddies, that makes more sense since he would be way cheaper and only has 2 years left on his deal.
Zibanajed has had concussion issue so he shouldn't be resigned regardless but I want no part of Eichel. As for Tarasenko he has his own injury issues so the only way I would take him is if Kreider or preferably Trouba is going back the other way.

Don't see anyway he takes 5.5
With hyman and Freddy likely gone and the idea that kerfoot is going to be out the door they can afford up to 6.5/7 I think. Just don’t know how that works for the depth tbh. Give me Coleman and elite bottom 6

Today’s cap space is 9 million, assuming they don’t bring those guys back and kerfoot is out that’s 12 million ish.. their d, for now is set: dermott, Holl, brodie, muzzin, Sandin and rielly.

you’re going to have to find another goalie and the 4.5 cap hit of kuemper is on the radar maybe even go back to rittich for cheaper . It’s possible, but more in a dreamers world

Today’s cap space is 9 million, assuming they don’t bring those guys back and kerfoot is out that’s 12 million ish.. their d, for now is set: dermott, Holl, brodie, muzzin, Sandin and rielly.

you’re going to have to find another goalie and the 4.5 cap hit of kuemper is on the radar maybe even go back to rittich for cheaper . It’s possible, but more in a dreamers world
I think the move is to trade reilly, hes a ufa next year and gonna get a big raise

Leafs need more depth like you said, I'd take that 7m for landeskog and upgrade the 3rd line with two guys

If they can move Reilly maybe sign dougie Hamilton? Right side is a bigger need with muzzin as a top pairing guy, and sandin should be a top 4 guy soon

Canucks writer says the prices for teams to acquire guys from teams who will need to leave them unprotected is still quite high

Canucks and a few other teams have a free slot or more thsts available on the protection list since they have no one to really protect

But teams as of last night were still asking for a regular deal, rather than a cut price

I think Francis is overplaying his hand thinking he's going to get the same types of deals that Vegas got when most teams have probably wisened up since then.

Rangers should absolutely take a stab for Eichel. You're talking a top 5 player in the NHL at 24 years old, how often do they become available?
IF the asking price is too steep, you pass. But the Rangers have plenty of assets to move to make this happen. Even if Eichel sits out half the season it makes too much sense not to do it. Rangers need a center. Eichel's cap hit is of absolutely no concern, the Rangers can easily absorb it.
Eichel's injury is not career threatening. The hang up is that he wants to get surgery, whereas the Sabres wanted to rehab. All this went down when the Sabres were in the midst of a massive losing streak and were obviously not going to make the playoffs, dumped their coach and pretty much punted on the season.
I'm relatively sure the Rangers can find a doctor that can determine the best course of action for Eichel's future.

As far as Tarasenko goes, unfortunately he fits NONE of the Rangers immediate needs. He's a RW and Rangers already have Buchnevich, Kakko, and Kravtsov. Is he better than all of those guys, sure he is, but he's not cheap at all and his not a banger.

This offseason Rangers need two things
1-They need a center, preferably a #1 center and push Mika down to #2 but I could live with a good center that can WIN draws on a very consistent basis and keep Mika on the top line. Strome is okay, but he's not a #1 or #2 center, pushing him down to #3 would be ideal. But really, I'd just assume lose him and keep Chytyl.
2-They need at least one if not a few physical presences/shut down players. Sandpaper guys. They've said as much publicly.

Rangers aren't going to lose much in expansion draft - maybe Gauthier, Kinkaid?, Bitetto.
Rangers have a shit ton of cap space, and a few years before they'll have to deal with extending guys.
Rangers have a fantastic pipeline of players, in particular on defense. They need to move these assets to get top line guys as not all of these guys are going to hit, and you can't bring them all up at once. Moving a few assets for Eichel makes a great deal of sense. Buffalo is also in a shit spot right now because Eichel wants to move on, as do a few of their other players, and Sabres will have their hand forced.

Rangers should absolutely take a stab for Eichel. You're talking a top 5 player in the NHL at 24 years old, how often do they become available?
IF the asking price is too steep, you pass. But the Rangers have plenty of assets to move to make this happen. Even if Eichel sits out half the season it makes too much sense not to do it. Rangers need a center. Eichel's cap hit is of absolutely no concern, the Rangers can easily absorb it.
Eichel's injury is not career threatening. The hang up is that he wants to get surgery, whereas the Sabres wanted to rehab. All this went down when the Sabres were in the midst of a massive losing streak and were obviously not going to make the playoffs, dumped their coach and pretty much punted on the season.
I'm relatively sure the Rangers can find a doctor that can determine the best course of action for Eichel's future.

As far as Tarasenko goes, unfortunately he fits NONE of the Rangers immediate needs. He's a RW and Rangers already have Buchnevich, Kakko, and Kravtsov. Is he better than all of those guys, sure he is, but he's not cheap at all and his not a banger.

1-They need a center, preferably a #1 center and push Mika down to #2 but I could live with a good center that can WIN draws on a very consistent basis and keep Mika on the top line. Strome is okay, but he's not a #1 or #2 center, pushing him down to #3 would be ideal. But really, I'd just assume lose him and keep Chytyl.
2-They need at least one if not a few physical presences/shut down players. Sandpaper guys. They've said as much publicly.

Rangers aren't going to lose much in expansion draft - maybe Gauthier, Kinkaid?, Bitetto.
Rangers have a shit ton of cap space, and a few years before they'll have to deal with extending guys.
Rangers have a fantastic pipeline of players, in particular on defense. They need to move these assets to get top line guys as not all of these guys are going to hit, and you can't bring them all up at once. Moving a few assets for Eichel makes a great deal of sense. Buffalo is also in a shit spot right now because Eichel wants to move on, as do a few of their other players, and Sabres will have their hand forced.
You sound way too much like Larry Brooks with this sandpaper nonsense. All the Rangers need is a good coach which Gallant probably is and the young players need to mature. The bullshit that this team needs a Ryan Reaves type is utterly ridiculous.

Pretty obvious it's right. Rangers got fucking owned by Tom Wilson. You need more physicality in this league other wise your top guys get treated like bitches. Even the dynasty teams, Oilers, Isles, Penguins, all of these teams had guys up and down the lineup you didn't fuck with. Rangers have none of that.
I loathed David Quinn and glad he's gone, but it's not like Gallant is the savior. I was actually hoping they got Tocchet, as a guy who's fiery nature would carry over onto the ice. Rangers have a chance to be a great team over the next 4-5 years. Ping pong balls have obviously been juiced, need to take advantage.

The athletic article that linked them with tarasenko said it would probably have to be kravtsov going back

I think Francis is overplaying his hand thinking he's going to get the same types of deals that Vegas got when most teams have probably wisened up since then.
Which is why teams should move guys rather than lose them for free

If you have 8 good forwards and can only protect 7, trade the 8th guy for a draft pick rather then lose him for free to seattle

Dont do what Anaheim did and worry about losing vatanen, so you give them Theodore to not take him

Or minny, not wanting to lose someone of no consequence and giving them tuch and a 1st

The only way I'd trade with seattle, is if it's a salary dump

So make them take your worst contract and give them a 1st or if it's real long term a bit more

Seattle needs to get to I think 60 million through the expansion draft, so they have to take some high salaries, Francis said they will be a cap team too

Pretty obvious it's right. Rangers got fucking owned by Tom Wilson. You need more physicality in this league other wise your top guys get treated like bitches. Even the dynasty teams, Oilers, Isles, Penguins, all of these teams had guys up and down the lineup you didn't fuck with. Rangers have none of that.
I loathed David Quinn and glad he's gone, but it's not like Gallant is the savior. I was actually hoping they got Tocchet, as a guy who's fiery nature would carry over onto the ice. Rangers have a chance to be a great team over the next 4-5 years. Ping pong balls have obviously been juiced, need to take advantage.
Tocchet is a horrible coach. I was hoping for Brindamour to shake loose but Gallant at the very least is a huge upgrade over Quinn.

The only way I'd trade with seattle, is if it's a salary dump

So make them take your worst contract and give them a 1st or if it's real long term a bit more

Seattle needs to get to I think 60 million through the expansion draft, so they have to take some high salaries, Francis said they will be a cap team too
I would give the Rangers first round pick if Francis would take Trouba.

See no reason to trade for that bloated contract when the Rangers have more than enough on the wings.
If you wanna win now, while fox, kaako, and laf are on ELCs, and tarasenko is fully healthy

Makes a ton of sense on an upgrade

Helps the pp a ton

I would give the Rangers first round pick if Francis would take Trouba.
Ya, hes not getting moved

But even if he was a salary dump, vegas got 1sts for guys making 4m a year, or guys with 1 or 2 years left

8m for 5 years or whatever is probably three big futures being sent

If you wanna win now, while fox, kaako, and laf are on ELCs, and tarasenko is fully healthy

Makes a ton of sense on an upgrade

Helps the pp a ton
The Rangers are not contending for a Cup in the nest two seasons. They can make the playoffs and go from there. Tarasenko doesn't make them a championship level team so just go with what you have and build from there.

Ya, hes not getting moved

But even if he was a salary dump, vegas got 1sts for guys making 4m a year, or guys with 1 or 2 years left

8m for 5 years or whatever is probably three big futures being sent
If Keith was movable for no salary retention then Trouba can be traded as well to either Seattle or Detroit who has a ton of cap space and where Trouba is from. No way do the Rangers have to send three future assets to get out of that contract.

If Keith was movable for no salary retention then Trouba can be traded as well to either Seattle or Detroit who has a ton of cap space and where Trouba is from. No way do the Rangers have to send three future assets to get out of that contract.
Yes it was a 2 year deal and the actual dollars are super low, like 3.4 total instead of the 11 million on the cap hit

Marleau was a 1 year deal to Carolina and cost a 1st at 5m a year

8 million at 5 years left is costing way more than 1 asset

He has a NMC though so it's a moot point, theres a 0% chance hes moved this offseason

Bunch of trades today before the expansion draft freeze

Dickinson to the canucks for a 3rd good deal for both, canucks get a 3rd line c, dallas had too many forwards was always gonna lose 1 for free, now they dont

McCann to the leafs for a prospect, like McCann a lot, can be 3rd line c or play wing up higher in lineup

3 way deal - ryan Ellis to philly, nolan patrick to vegas, cody glass and phillipe Myers to nashville

Philly the big winner, Ellis is a legit top pairing d man
Glass hasn't scored yet at nhl level but will likely get top 6 role to try in nashville
Patrick is probably only a middle six center now, and has had huge injury issues, vegas gm was his coach in junior and friedman is saying patrick loves mccrimmon, would run through a wall for him, so if he has any chance to get going its probably there

Philly fucked up big time in that draft, the 3 picked after patrick at 2 are heiskenen, makar, and petterson. Probably the two best players under 23 in the league in makar and petey

Rangers got the rights to Barclay goodrow for a 7th, hes a ufa and about to get overpaid if cj is right

Then traded Brett Howden to vegas for a 4th and nick desimone

Red wings getting nick leddy for a 2nd is a really good deal, could be a real solid top 4 d man, also I bet they could get more for him at the trade deadline if they want

The blues arent protecting tarasenko
Blue jackets arent protecting max domi

That's a decent 1st line for seattle if they want

They may have made side deals with seattle to take other players too, so it's not for sure

Andrew ladd to arizona for two 2nds and a 3rd

He has 2 years left at 4.3m it's a pure cap dump

So again, he has a nmc and will never be moved, but trouba would cost an insane amount if hes really that bad and was a cap dump

Andrew ladd to arizona for two 2nds and a 3rd

He has 2 years left at 4.3m it's a pure cap dump

So again, he has a nmc and will never be moved, but trouba would cost an insane amount if hes really that bad and was a cap dump
I'm pretty sure that Arizona is the one receiving the draft picks for taking that contract. As for Trouba no he's not that bad but he's a third pair guy on this team going forward and his cap hit is untenable for a team that has a bunch of young players due big increases in salary over the next year or two.

Vegas must have never seen Howden play if they were willing to actually trade for him. Great move from Drury that will all go out the window if he gives Goodrow anywhere near the contract he is rumored to have available on the market. Whoever signs him will be doing the classic overpay for a veteran from a winning team when everyone knows he wouldn't be getting this interest if he played for a run of the mill franchise like Nashville.

Vegas must have never seen Howden play if they were willing to actually trade for him. Great move from Drury that will all go out the window if he gives Goodrow anywhere near the contract he is rumored to have available on the market. Whoever signs him will be doing the classic overpay for a veteran from a winning team when everyone knows he wouldn't be getting this interest if he played for a run of the mill franchise like Nashville.
I don't mind what Vegas did here, they desperately needed to add some C depth, we saw what happened with Stephenson went down... Krebs will be back next year after that freak injury and some of their C's are better wingers for them. Agree with Teed that Patrick is likely a bottom 6 guy, but his game can translate to be one of the more effective third line C's in the league, no pressure like in Philly to be a top 6 guy.

there's no rules on trading players you're going to draft for seattle is there? I would take on Price, eat some of his Salary and try to mortgage something out of a team that is a goalie away from truly contending with Price.

there's no rules on trading players you're going to draft for seattle is there? I would take on Price, eat some of his Salary and try to mortgage something out of a team that is a goalie away from truly contending with Price.
He only waived his NMC for the expansion draft. So he would need to approve anything

I think it's more likely they do that with a Giordano, he has 1 year left. Eat half the salary and he's only on 3.75m

Some contender that needs help on the blue line should move for that.

Toronto makes a ton of sense, pair him up with Brodie again

I'm pretty sure that Arizona is the one receiving the draft picks for taking that contract. As for Trouba no he's not that bad but he's a third pair guy on this team going forward and his cap hit is untenable for a team that has a bunch of young players due big increases in salary over the next year or two.
Ya I wrote it wrong.

Arizona gave nothing back

Montreal would never admit this, but they have to be hoping Seattle takes price.

Would get them out of a contract that's only gonna get worse, he has 5 more years at 10.5m cap hit and he's 33.

He only waived his NMC for the expansion draft. So he would need to approve anything
yea, but my understanding is that I don't Price would want to play there. Although it is much closer to home in BC.. and I agree with your sentiment, you would be bailing out montreal a ton getting rid of his contract. This year was the run for him, don't know if they will get another chance.

Back