2020 Off-Season Portal Thread

I can see that. Where can you go and not have to go to class?

Well if he only has one more season of eligibility left, he just needs to do enough to stay on a team. Pretty much what he did this year, stop going to class in September, season is over before grades are due

Not sure if it was injuries or what, but Sermon looked like he was going to be a monster when he was a Freshman.

He'll make someone a good back if he is healthy

Sermon will transfer to Ohio State. Kind of surprises me. He had a hard time getting on the field at Oklahoma and Ohio State must have as many top RBs as Oklahoma.

Sermon will transfer to Ohio State. Kind of surprises me. He had a hard time getting on the field at Oklahoma and Ohio State must have as many top RBs as Oklahoma.
They don't... Teague has an ACL and they I don't believe they brought one in last class.

Hence why they will have two top 5 backs in class of 2021.

Not surprised. I never saw him play as well as Kedon Slovis and never saw the team play as hard for him as they did for Slovis.

I thought it was a fool's move for Daniels to reclassify and skip his senior year. That might work in basketball, but football is a different game. It seemed so stupid to me it may have affected my judgement where he is concerned, but he always looked like a kid with arm talent who was in over his head at USC

Last edited:
Not surprised. I never saw him play as well as Kedon Slovis and never saw the team play has hard for him as they did for Slovis.

I thought it was a fool's move for Daniels to reclassify and skip his senior year. That might work in basketball, but football is a different game. It seemed so stupid to me it may have affected my judgement where he is concerned, but he always looked like a kid with arm talent who was in over his head at USC
They definitely rallied behind him. I’m no USC fan but football is better when they are good.
this has been an awful awful stretch

SC is currently their usual self lol

from the 80's on they havent been very good aside from the aberration which was the carrol era

Big JT Daniels fan myself. Good, live arm...flair for dramatic..turnovers will go down....He will be a good get. I like smart, heady qbs.

SC is currently their usual self lol

from the 80's on they havent been very good aside from the aberration which was the carrol era

USC was an excellent football school in the 80's making and winning several Rose Bowls. Sure, no natties in that decade but back then pac-10 teams played for the rose bowl berth and it meant a ton.

USC = most dominant pac 8 / pac 10 / pac 12 school ever.

probably best football school on west coast in history and numerous national titles in it's storied history.

USC was an excellent football school in the 80's making and winning several Rose Bowls. Sure, no natties in that decade but back then pac-10 teams played for the rose bowl berth and it meant a ton.

USC = most dominant pac 8 / pac 10 / pac 12 school ever.

probably best football school on west coast in history and numerous national titles in it's storied history.

SC avg win total by decade:

80's: 7.8
90's: 6.6
Carrol: 10.8 plus lots of trophies
Kiffin/sark era: 8.7
Helton: 8.5

If you want to have a discussion about current SC trajectory/recruiting well that's a different story altogether.

Things are clearly headed in a downward direction but that's as much of a conference/regional issue as it is specific to SC. We had a great thread about it (last summer I think?) where it was all laid out quite nicely.

But as a whole, SC has competed at a level consistent with recent history aside from the Carrol era outlier. Which we all know was an era that clearly wasn't on the up and up. Carrol was a phenomenal coach running a rogue program in a desirable location and the results were what they were. But those results are going to be awfully hard to replicate given what's necessary to get it done.

Last edited:
If you want to have a discussion about current SC trajectory/recruiting well that's a different story altogether.

Things are clearly headed in a downward direction but that's as much of a conference/regional issue as it is specific to SC. We had a great thread about it (last summer I think?) where it was all laid out quite nicely.

But as a whole, SC has competed at a level consistent with recent history aside from the Carrol era outlier. Which we all know was an era that clearly wasn't on the up and up.
Looking at your prior post I was shocked by the 1980s numbers. I started watching CFB in 1988 so my first memories of USC were Rose Bowls vs UM. The middle of that decade they were not good at all.

Looking at your prior post I was shocked by the 1980s numbers. I started watching CFB in 1988 so my first memories of USC were Rose Bowls vs UM. The middle of that decade they were not good at all.

It was far before my time as well.

I got interested in looking into SC history when I learned that Petros Papadakis was a starting rb/captain at SC. And I'm like, how in the fuck did this annoying kermit the frog sounding m'fer start at rb for SC? At the same school where Reggie, OJ, and Marcus Allen toted the rock? Well the answer is...they really sucked back then haha.

SC avg win total by decade:

80's: 7.8
90's: 6.6
Carrol: 10.8 plus lots of trophies
Kiffin/sark era: 8.7
Helton: 8.5

imagine how bad the rest of the pac has been the last 40 yrs that USC has been the overall most dominant school by a longshot.

imagine how bad the rest of the pac has been the last 40 yrs that USC has been the overall most dominant school by a longshot.

Without researching it, I'm guessing the SC teams at their best made more of an impact on the national scene (relative to other PAC schools) which maybe skews perspective as to their frequency/consistency of dominance across the conference itself? I think we all know that SC has the highest ceiling of any other team in the conference (tradition, prestige, location, recruiting base) which means when they get it going they REALLY get it going and can field teams that can legitimately challenge for national titles. On the other end of this spectrum, you have a team like Wisconsin who has been a really really solid program, with a bunch of consecutive rose bowl appearances in the 2010's but those were never teams that threatened nationally...so we tend to not hold them in very high regard and they don't leave much of an imprint on our brain.

I think age also matters here. BAR alluded to this. If you grow up watching a particular team dominate a particular era that can create bias in the way you think about that program.

Last edited:
Without researching it, I'm guessing the SC teams at their best made more of an impact on the national scene (relative to other PAC schools) which maybe skews perspective as to their frequency/consistency of dominance across the conference itself? I think we all know that SC has the highest ceiling of any other team in the conference (tradition, prestige, location, recruiting base) which means when they get it going they REALLY get it going and can field teams that can legitimately challenge for national titles. On the other end of this spectrum, you have a team like Wisconsin who has been a really really solid program, with a bunch of consecutive rose bowl appearances in the 2010's but those were never teams that threatened nationally...so we tend to not hold them in very high regard and they don't leave much of an imprint on our brain.

I think age also matters here. BAR alluded to this. If you grow up watching a particular team dominate a particular era that can create bias in the way you think about that program.

Yes, very good points.

SC has ALWAYS been the power of the Pac 8-10-12. They were a power in the earliest days of college football.

Won endless football titles and all kinds of national titles in other sports. National titles, Heismans, All-Americans, some of the biggest stars of all time. Winning national titles before UCLA even existed. They did more to make the Rose Bowl famous across the country than the Rose Bowl made them famous.

Played the first inter-sectional football game in college history against against N Dame and they've played ever since.

One of the best football experiences you can have is a big game in the Coliseum.

USC doesn't have to take a back seat to anyone in football tradition.

Last edited:
Tarik Black went to Texas.

Injuries have hurt him a lot, and that sucks.

His effort last year was not good at all.

Maybe getting away from a bad influence(DPJ) will help him.

Always has seemed like a good dude, hope he does well.

Back