2020 Off-Season Portal Thread

Obviously there are a lot more in portal but anything significant news please report here.

I know there has been a major defection at Stanford as well...

Mich is visiting a few of them once dead period is over.

D'Eriq King entered the transfer portal today. This has disaster written all over it. Rumors are he is looking at Arkansas because his ex-OC is there now.

King was good at Houston because he is fast compared to guys on D in the AAC and he can pass against the level of D-back in that conference. He was on a team with enough talent to compete against other teams in the AAC and they'll be loaded this year. None of that will be true in the SEC. He will be on the least talented team in the toughest division in football and every DB, LB, and most DEs in that division are faster than he is.

It's moronic to transfer to a school merely because you know a coach on the staff. Joe Burrow just provided the blueprint--find a school that is good enough to compete and has no one at your position. Kelly Bryant provided a blueprint of how to destroy your career and reputation.

No official announcement I have seen, but all the ESPN guys are taking it for granted the W Forest QB is going to Georgia.

Chase Bryce is leaving Clemson. This guy is a good QB, just had the bad luck to be behind Lawrence. The one time the needed him last year he came in a led a fourth quarter drive to win and save their national title.

A lot of teams are going to be interested in him

Jeff Duffey from Texas Tech to C Michigan.

Smart move. Some of these QBs who transfer are either deluded about their talent or don't understand the concept of checking to see how loaded a school is at their position and whether they have enough talent to protect him.

Duffy made a good choice. He's not NFL material, but is a good college QB and is going to an excellent coach and a program that has no one as good as he is at his position and enough overall talent to win a conference title.

That Franks to Arkansas transfer is exactly why the transfer portal was set up in the first place. A guy doomed to the bench can transfer and have a chance to finish his career by getting n the field.

Franks was highly touted at one point and had some great games at Florida so maybe he reaches his potential at Arkansas. At least he makes Ark more interesting to watch this year.

Question for any of you who might know the NCAA rules.

The schools are limited to 25 recruits a year. They can massage it a little by counting a guy against the last year's class in some instances or gray-shirting a guy and having him enroll later, but it is still essentially a hard cap.

How do they count portal transfers against the 25? Or do they even count them against the yearly limit at all, or merely count them against the team limit of 85?

The schools are limited to 25 recruits a year. They can massage it a little by counting a guy against the last year's class in some instances or gray-shirting a guy and having him enroll later, but it is still essentially a hard cap.

How do they count portal transfers against the 25? Or do they even count them against the yearly limit at all, or merely count them against the team limit of 85?
The back counting is way tougher now I believe with most programs

Good question as far as transfers.

The back counting is a big thing, hence how you see schools get 28-34 recruits at times for a given year.

As Free Agency gets even bigger here these coming few years this will be an interesting topic.

I'm pretty sure transfers count against the 85 and not the 25

Would y’all be game to do an SEC offseason thread and a B10 one?

All other conferences welcome....but those had their own threads regularly

Would y’all be game to do an SEC offseason thread and a B10 one?

All other conferences welcome....but those had their own threads regularly
I was actually thinking about that the other day... especially with all the movement nowadays. I'll start one this week and if @gps_3 could pen up the SEC one that would be awesome.

Found this article from Sports Illustrated dealing with how portal transfers count against scholarship limits. It is from Feb 2019 so may be out of date by now, but they say a transfer is counted the same as a high school recruit against both the 25 and 85 limit.

Clemson lost WR TJ Chase and DL Xavier Kelly and of course QB Chase Brice. More to come, including at least one corner.

I remember Kelly was a highly rated DL in his class, MW. What happened, just wasn't as good as rated or just too much talent stacked at that position?

He got his degree anyway so that shows he's willing to work.

If I were a guy in his position I'd be looking at the AAC or Sun Belt. Lots of good coaches in those leagues and a guy like Kelly can come in and get a chance to shine. The worst move is to a middle of the pack--or worse--Power 5 program.

Clemson lost WR TJ Chase and DL Xavier Kelly and of course QB Chase Brice. More to come, including at least one corner.
Not a transfer, but Clemson DE Logan Rudolph (mason Rudolph's younger brother) has quit football to go into acting. He started 9 games last year. He hs two years of eligibility left but has already graduated.

Last edited:
How ironic, because Mason is acting like a football player. Dude is awful.
Yeah, well, at least Logan was believable in his role as an undersized defensive end. He was definitely in the team's plans for next year despite the infusion of new talent (which should have a more significant impact at DT than at DE).

Back