***2019 NBA Finals Discussion: Drake Vs Dynasty***

I think GSW wins the series but TOR might surprise everyone and win G1. GSW has 2 starters out and everyone is still high about them sweeping POR. Remember, it was a bad matchup for POR considering the other Leonard was their MVP. Since GSW relies more on shooting and ball movement, I have this feeling that rust is going to be a big factor. On the other hand, TOR's bench is finally showing up and they might continue with the momentum. I say TOR wins G1 then GSW takes the next 3 games.

Have to win game 1 for raptors

I do think its gonna be closer than people think, I think it goes 6 if raps win game 1, dubs take it at home

But if they lose game 1 and 2, this ain't like milly walk ay!, that's a sweep

Siakim is raps key imo, if he can play like he did in the philly series pre calf problem they are dangerous, if he plays like vs the bucks then they are in real trouble, hes their biggest matchup advantage, outside kawhi

Also gonna be interesting how kerr handles iggy, hes their best chance on d for kawhi, but he is so much better at 22 mins a game than 35

Like was pointed out early, 15 point lead means so much more vs a good d than the portland turnstiles

King Kawhi ain't had to guard anybody so far this postseason that can move on the floor like the Splash Brothers, hell even Graymond Dreen can get loose.

He gonna have to do that this series on a bad leg.

Better record, homecourt, just beat a 1 seed winning 4 straight and the most 'in-form' player of the playoffs and you can get it all for a series price of +240 or more...

Where don't I sign up...

What a ruse.

It's simply stunning how everyone everywhere thinks the Warriors are a lock here. You can take that Blazers series and throw it out the window. The Blazers were beat to hell and simply could not put out a lineup that had a hope of getting a stop. The Raptors defense is ELITE and the best the Dubs will have ever faced in a playoff series.

The experience narrative is pure trash. The Raps just went 7 deep and OT with a very talented Philly team and then dug deep down 2-0 in the series and from 15 down last game vs an elite team. Maybe the Raps didn't have "big game/big moment" experience coming into the playoffs as a group, but they sure as hell did individually, and they sure as hell have that as a group now as well.

Toronto and Canada are starving for this. The crowds will be legendary in Toronto and they will have the better home court edge no question.

Getting prices like this with the better team with the best player and home court are the legendary bets that build sport betting bankrolls. Golden State has no chance without Durant here IMO.

It's simply stunning how everyone everywhere thinks the Warriors are a lock here. You can take that Blazers series and throw it out the window. The Blazers were beat to hell and simply could not put out a lineup that had a hope of getting a stop. The Raptors defense is ELITE and the best the Dubs will have ever faced in a playoff series.

The experience narrative is pure trash. The Raps just went 7 deep and OT with a very talented Philly team and then dug deep down 2-0 in the series and from 15 down last game vs an elite team. Maybe the Raps didn't have "big game/big moment" experience coming into the playoffs as a group, but they sure as hell did individually, and they sure as hell have that as a group now as well.

Toronto and Canada are starving for this. The crowds will be legendary in Toronto and they will have the better home court edge no question.

Getting prices like this with the better team with the best player and home court are the legendary bets that build sport betting bankrolls. Golden State has no chance without Durant here IMO.

You have some good points, and Raptors are certainlyno slouches, but "No chance?" Cmon bro. Their record without KD speaks for itself. That's a little bit of an overstatement. Maybe GSW hasn't played a D like the Raptors. But the baby dinosaurs also haven't played an offense like GSW with or WITHOUT KD.

Yeah, because Vegas likes to give away money. Legendary would be the dudes who bet the Raps to win the series when they were down 0-2 vs Milly last time out.

Having an elite defense in the East means little if you peel the layers off the onion.

Mucks blew 12+ leads in both of the final two games of the series and had the lead heading into the 4th in both as well.

The real Kyle Lowry gonna show up big time.

While it’s interesting to talk about US teams winning the Cup that much, and basketball being a US sport, the makeup of the players on the rosters make this a meaningless tidbit. It’s not like it’s Canadian players vs US players in this NBA Finals, nor is it US players on US teams in the NHL. It’s fun to rib Canada about the Stanley Cup fact and all, but it’s simply not really a thing in reality.

What's bolded makes my very point.

The Canadian teams & US teams have both, for most part, majority Canadian players making up their squads. Thus logic dictates that the Canadian teams themselves shouldn't be at a disadvantage (to the lopsided degree of 1-26 over a 28 year period) when it comes to Cup wins, because it's not like the Canadian teams only end up with "the scraps" from the Canadian player base after the US teams have gotten in first to cherry-pick all the best talent going. More to the point, I could've ignored that sole Canadian win (in 1993) and said they're 0-24 over the last 24 cups (excuse my earlier math, it was based on slightly inaccurate memory, incl. forgetting about a lock-out season), which makes even more a mockery of the situation of that largely-even player balance re Canadian player presence in Canadian vs. US teams. Fact is, despite the Stanley Cup's origin and uninformed orthodox perceptions to the contrary, the NHL is now a US sport when 23 of its 31 teams are US based. However, since Canadian teams make up 22.6% of the league, they should be winning, over any particular extended time period, roughly 17-27% of the titles (a +/- 5% differential of their total league presence, and I think a 28 year stretch is more than an ample period that avoids the possibility of capturing a statistically outlier stretch of dominance by either nation relative to their percentage of team presences), given that Canadian player dominance being largely evenly spread. But in the modern era they're nowhere near to achieving that. US teams are all but exclusively winning at what is a US sport despite the nature of player base realities, and have increased their measure of dominance the longer the sport has been around in the US culture to anchor itself as an entity worth audience attention (as opposed to its earlier days when it merely had a novelty presence on the sporting landscape).

Here the NBA is still largely a novelty on the Canadian sporting landscape (the Raptors have been around all of 2 & a bit decades), and their only other team (the Vancouver Grizzlies) lasted all of 6 seasons in its original location. No "novelty" team making its first-time-ever finals appearance beats the best-finals-team-of-its-era in any sport in any league in the world, with everything being otherwise normal. (An observation that's not tied to national/location-base issues.) It simply doesn't happen with any regularity whatsoever, and understandably so: the logic isn't hard to fathom why. But you never say never, that's why they play the game. Cue my assertion, if they do win it'll truly be one for the books. Nothing about this sporting archetype says Toronto takes the cheese. However, the Warriors are without their main man, so there's one aspect that immediately counters the things being otherwise normal aspect of the equation (I can only agree with the posters with much bigger bball IQ's than mine above who've responded negatively to assertions that the Warriors are better without KD. It's obv. not nonsense to say they're a very different team without him). The only recent finals series they lost was predicated on missing one of their most important players in a close-out home game. Here they're, at least for now, suffering another important absence, possibly for longer than simply one game. The door is ajar for Toronto to see some light, but I see that door weighing a couple of tons, so it being merely ajar isn't really saying much. Some massive muscle is going to be needed to move it from being ajar to being fully wide open to be able to be walked through. I place Toronto winning here to being akin to Boston's winning 4 straight against the Yanks after being 3-zip down in the '04 ALCS. It wasn't expected to happen, precisely because it simply never happens. But there's a first time for everything, so...

Just for fun: (1) I can't ever remember making a post on this site or blankets that mentioned the Vancouver Grizzlies in any context, nor (2) can I ever remember doing a google search about them. The moment I do, guess what pops up in my youtube recommended section in a short space of time later apropos to no viewing or search behaviour of mine on that site in and of itself...

Someone mention Big Brother?

^ I was in Vancouver when TOR won Game 6. I was inside Cactus Club Cafe and there was a giant TV screen and people were cheering for the Raps in the 4th quarter. When I got seated far from the TV, the cheers faded. I honestly thought Raps lost until after I checked the score back in the hotel. Raps may not be Vancouver's but it's still Canada. I thought they'd go wild with Canada going to the Finals but they didn't. I don't think they're a basketball city at all.

Have to win game 1 for raptors

I do think its gonna be closer than people think, I think it goes 6 if raps win game 1, dubs take it at home

But if they lose game 1 and 2, this ain't like milly walk ay!, that's a sweep

Siakim is raps key imo, if he can play like he did in the philly series pre calf problem they are dangerous, if he plays like vs the bucks then they are in real trouble, hes their biggest matchup advantage, outside kawhi
I agree, Green and Siakim are the keys. Green because if he shows up on offense, he is their best option to guard Steph and Siakim needs to show up, because if not, it will allow Dubs much more options rotation wise...

Yeah, because Vegas likes to give away money. Legendary would be the dudes who bet the Raps to win the series when they were down 0-2 vs Milly last time out.

Having an elite defense in the East means little if you peel the layers off the onion.

Mucks blew 12+ leads in both of the final two games of the series and had the lead heading into the 4th in both as well.

The real Kyle Lowry gonna show up big time.

He's played better as the playoffs have progressed this year.

0y0b8E4.png

What's bolded makes my very point.

The Canadian teams & US teams have both, for most part, majority Canadian players making up their squads. Thus logic dictates that the Canadian teams themselves shouldn't be at a disadvantage (to the lopsided degree of 1-26 over a 28 year period) when it comes to Cup wins, because it's not like the Canadian teams only end up with "the scraps" from the Canadian player base after the US teams have gotten in first to cherry-pick all the best talent going. More to the point, I could've ignored that sole Canadian win (in 1993) and said they're 0-24 over the last 24 cups (excuse my earlier math, it was based on slightly inaccurate memory, incl. forgetting about a lock-out season), which makes even more a mockery of the situation of that largely-even player balance re Canadian player presence in Canadian vs. US teams. Fact is, despite the Stanley Cup's origin and uninformed orthodox perceptions to the contrary, the NHL is now a US sport when 23 of its 31 teams are US based. However, since Canadian teams make up 22.6% of the league, they should be winning, over any particular extended time period, roughly 17-27% of the titles (a +/- 5% differential of their total league presence, and I think a 28 year stretch is more than an ample period that avoids the possibility of capturing a statistically outlier stretch of dominance by either nation relative to their percentage of team presences), given that Canadian player dominance being largely evenly spread. But in the modern era they're nowhere near to achieving that. US teams are all but exclusively winning at what is a US sport despite the nature of player base realities, and have increased their measure of dominance the longer the sport has been around in the US culture to anchor itself as an entity worth audience attention (as opposed to its earlier days when it merely had a novelty presence on the sporting landscape).

You make a wrong assumption that every teams' goal going into the season is to win the Stanley Cup such that it is essentially randomly distributed. But that't obviously not the case. You have to factor other influences such as CDN-USA dollar discrepancy (unable to attract top players) when there was little to no cap, drafting poorly, incentive to compete (ie if they sell out arena and are a bottom seed team) in Canada is not worrisome as smaller markets in USA, and the fact that within the past ~30 years the winner of the Stanley Cup was a 1-2 seed going into playoffs. If you weight/index these factors, you'd see the odds are worse than what you calculate.

Silver does a good job summarizing this up.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-cant-canada-win-the-stanley-cup/

AF2r51B.png

^ I was in Vancouver when TOR won Game 6. I was inside Cactus Club Cafe and there was a giant TV screen and people were cheering for the Raps in the 4th quarter. When I got seated far from the TV, the cheers faded. I honestly thought Raps lost until after I checked the score back in the hotel. Raps may not be Vancouver's but it's still Canada. I thought they'd go wild with Canada going to the Finals but they didn't. I don't think they're a basketball city at all.

I would disagree. I think they are currently a BB country. All my friends in Canada are all over the Raps

Disagree

Pacific north west loves basketball, but not necessarily toronto

Most of canada hates everything to do with toronto

Also the cactus club ain't exactly a sports bar

You make a wrong assumption that every teams' goal going into the season is to win the Stanley Cup such that it is essentially randomly distributed. But that't obviously not the case. You have to factor other influences such as CDN-USA dollar discrepancy (unable to attract top players) when there was little to no cap, drafting poorly, incentive to compete (ie if they sell out arena and are a bottom seed team) in Canada is not worrisome as smaller markets in USA, and the fact that within the past ~30 years the winner of the Stanley Cup was a 1-2 seed going into playoffs. If you weight/index these factors, you'd see the odds are worse than what you calculate.

Silver does a good job summarizing this up.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-cant-canada-win-the-stanley-cup/

AF2r51B.png

also in that time period you have 4 canadian teams who have lost a game 7 of the sc

And Calgary actually won the cup in 04, they scored a goal that was disallowed even though it had crossed the line clearly on camera

Drake is just an attention-seeking cheerleader. This series can‘t be that boring that people want to focus on this clown

MaYbE WaRRiORs WoUlD HaVE LOsT BY EvEN MOre WITh dUrANt

Definitely possible. Much easier to guard. Leonard owns KD.

Raps might just be a very elite team. Warriors haven't beaten a top 250 NBA all-time team in any of their championship runs. The best teams they've faced were the Cavs and the Rockets? You could argue the Lakers' team this year had better players than the Cavs did and they weren't a top 20 NBA team THIS year.

I couldn't place the Rockets or Cavs last 4 years as a top 100 team/roster all-time.

Still a long ways to go. But the Warriors' 1.) play harder and 2.) are more fun to watch without KD. No doubt about that. No doubt.

1559413060027.png

Bandwagon ass fan. How the hell do you get tattoos of other guys team and number on you. At least go with a Toronto player.

Draymond is stupid though. He can't help himself. Can't pay Drake any mind, gotta ignore him.

Series price has crept up from a low of G.S. -120 last night, to -145, all the while with the Gm. 2 spread remaining pretty stable at Tor. -2 -15. This suggests... possibly... that we'll see KD in uniform in game 3 ... earlier than expected.

Stay Tuned!

Or, the move on the series price could be a precursor to a significant move on Golden State for Gm. 2, although I favor the former scenario. We'll see.

After watching G1, I feel that it's tough for GSW to win G2. The Big 3 did their part but still came up short. Kawhi wasn't even Jordanesque and Lowry was shooting bricks. Then again, the same can be said after Boston stole G1 vs MIL and Milwaukee winning G1 & G2 vs TOR. If GSW will win G2, I think Cousins will be the factor.

Yeah, very nice thread it turns out to be. Just a bit shock with so many people suddenly thinking Toronto has this series in their pocket.

Series price has crept up from a low of G.S. -120 last night, to -145, all the while with the Gm. 2 spread remaining pretty stable at Tor. -2 -15. This suggests... possibly... that we'll see KD in uniform in game 3 ... earlier than expected.

Stay Tuned!

Or maybe people think that the Warriors will turn it around at some point bc it‘s the Warriors or bc they think that Durant will return. I don‘t think you can assume anything from random people buying a play

Last edited:
Back