2015 Golf Pool Discussion

Not a good round. Needs to just grind out the rest of the round and shoot a score tomorrow

Spieth missing the cut is pretty much like losing twice. Just bad luck to pick him on his only off week in a year. Wells Fargo is a good event, and hopefully the greens are in better shape than they were last year, or may be it was 2 years ago? Pretty strong field with a nice history of winners, with the exception of Derek Ernst. Looking at Phil, Kisner, Na, de Jonge and Rory right now. Furyk also has a good history here, just concerned about fatigue at this point

And what else can you say about Rickie Fowler yesterday? That is golfing your damn ball right there. Happy for him, especially right after that poll came out. Also, good for him on the dime piece

Went with Phil. Almost took Matsuyama, but I figured this might be the only time I'd consider Phil all season. Off to a good start

I tossed the Phil idea around too. But Im so far back in my pool already, especially after last week, that I'm going to be picking lots of longer shots to try and hit something and climb back in it.

I tossed the Phil idea around too. But Im so far back in my pool already, especially after last week, that I'm going to be picking lots of longer shots to try and hit something and climb back in it.

I've thought about that. I figure for now there's enough left in the tournament schedule to try to get back in it with the traditional approach

That's probably the smart idea. I don't see my method working that well lol.

But only two other people out of 300+ have Berger this week!

That's probably the smart idea. I don't see my method working that well lol.

But only two other people out of 300+ have Berger this week!

It's been a year for favorites in our pool. So far (11 tournaments), the most popular pick has won three times. The third most popular has won twice. Spieth was 4th most popular at Valspar. Two other times the most popular pick came in second. Last year was completely different, so either the top guys are playing better, or people are getting better at predicting golf tournaments

This round by rory is just stupid.

One of the best ball striking rounds I've seen. Felt like he went about 2 hours without a putt over 10 feet. As for Phil, he's dropped 5 shots on the 18th hole, and is lucky it hasn't been more. He's hit it in the creek running along the left side twice, and yesterday's got hung up in the rough on the bank or else it would be 3 in the drink. I'm no professional golfer, but it seems he should probably change his strategy off the tee on that hole

Nothing you could do against that freight train this week. Beautiful golf by Rory. Kind of puts the pressure on for when to choose him for the pool. I imagine he'll have another win or two at least, so picking him when he doesn't win is losing one to the field for sure. And I've already lost one with Spieth. Not too disappointed with the Phil pick. If he could have just played #18 in even par, or hell, +2, he gets solo second. Instead, he challenged the creek on the left 3 times, hit it in twice and just missed it the third time for a crowd pleasing +5 on that hole alone. T-4 is fine, and I moved up a bit in the pool.

Colonial - pretty shitty field it looks like. If I hadn't already used him, Zach Johnson would be the play here. Not touching Adam Scott right now. Spieth will probably win. Might have to dig deep this week. Looking at Ryan Palmer, Jimmy Walker, Boo Weekley, Chris Kirk, Kevin Na, Kevin Kisner, and Shawn Stefani right now

Didn't realize until yesterday that Ryan Palmer has home court advantage, and not sure off the top of my head but has a good history at this track. If you don't use him now, when would you?

Didn't realize until yesterday that Ryan Palmer has home court advantage, and not sure off the top of my head but has a good history at this track. If you don't use him now, when would you?

Palmer has a solid history here and next week. If I don't use him one of those, likely won't be used

Went with Chris Kirk. Really wanted to take Jimmy Walker, but decided I can use him later in the season. On Ryan Palmer, he has a good history here, is a member himself at Colonial, and his caddy is a former club champion there. But, Palmer hasn't won on tour since 2010, and only has 2 career wins. Wanted to go with a guy who knows how to win.

I also took Kirk. It's off to a better start than when we both took Spieth ha

You got that right. Had it going real well there for a while. Just ask that he stays within striking distance each day

Glad to get the W last week. Going to need a couple more to get back in it though.

Byron Nelson - Was all set to take Marc Leishman this week, but the weather has me looking elsewhere. Reading comments today from the players, the course is soaking wet and will favor length more than usual. This eliminates some players I was considering: Kuchar, Charley Hoffman for example. More rain is forecasted, but the usual winds will not be an issue. To me, this plays away from Leishman's strengths. So, I'm looking more to long hitters who can make a bunch of birdies. Really wish I hadn't used Justin Thomas at the Zurich. Looking at Gary Woodland, Morgan Hoffmann, Dustin Johnson and Brooks Koepka. Maybe Jimmy Walker. Will finalize tonight

That was pretty much the same list I was working with. Ended up taking Charley Hoffmann though. Good luck with whoever you end up on.

Ended up with Jimmy Walker. After reading the reports from the players and hearing about the course conditions, I felt like the course would be playing to Walker's strengths. He doesn't have a great history here, but he hits it plenty far and can make putts. The two defenses of the course are the wind and the rough, and it sounds like neither will be much of a factor from hearing some player interviews, so should set up well for players who can score. Feel like the conditions will resemble the PGA Championship last year, where he finished T-7. Also, I assume they will be playing preferred lies at least some of the tournament, if not all 4 days, and if they play them through the green like last Sunday, it will further lessen the penalty for missing fairways

Feel like this is the first week I made a late change on my pick and it worked out. Not complaining about a T-2 here, but was a little disappointed because Walker missed a half dozen short putts over the weekend. Otherwise, he may have been able to put some pressure on Bowditch. Memorial's field is a solid one. Haven't started too much research, but after a cursory glance I'm looking at Fowler, DJ, Bill Haas, Justin Rose, and a few others

Different paths to the same result for us. Nice call with Walker.

Haven't had a chance to look at anything yet but I'll come by and give my thoughts tonight or tomorrow.

I think I'm leaning toward Bill Haas right now

Congrats on Charley Hoffman last week. Can't argue Haas here. There's a couple other places I was thinking about using him, but may still plug him this week.

Kuchar stumbled around to a pedestrian finish. Never seem to have good luck when picking him. The rest of my list fared better, with Rose almost winning. He looks to be in decent form and I think he'll get another win this season. Looking at him for Congressional or Firestone, maybe hold him to the playoffs. Not sure I want to burn him in a major.

St Jude is a fairly week field with it coming the week before the US Open, and not playing like a US Open course. Some big names that have done well here in the past, but a lot of journeymen and young players that have won here in the past. My list so far is Billy Horschel, Ryan Palmer, DJ, and Brooks Koepka

I'm between Billy and DJ this week, and I imagine they will be the highest owned as well. Leaning Billy at the moment

I took Ryan Palmer. Horschel was taken by 24% of our pool. He's a good pick, when he gets going, he does it in spurts and gets a win. I know I won't take him next week, so no real reason to not take him this week. Good luck

Well Ryan Palmer closed Thursday tied for the lead with a 6 under 64. Played the rest of the tournament in +2. Better than a MC, and it was one of the lowest purses of the season, so no real damage done.

I have no idea what to think of the U.S. Open. Obviously all the top players are on the short list here. I don't like the two straight MCs for Rory, one on a links course, so I think I'll keep him in my pocket for St Andrew's, Firestone, or the FedEx Cup. Looking for a player who plays well in the wind and on fast courses. Sounds like imagination will be a big factor around the greens. US Open usually favors a grinder too. Right now considering Rickie Fowler, Sergio Garcia, DJ, Rose, and Furyk. Also Ryan Moore - has won a USGA event, and is from the area, so has likely played it as much as anyone.

One note from a previous post: I said I was going to use Justin Rose at Congressional, but soon realized that the Quicken Loans has moved venues, and won't be there this year.

I'm thinking that this week, should look at history in British Open as well as US. Maybe more so.

Picked Fowler this week. Plays well in big tournaments, attitude and game fit the course.

Only thing worse than my Rickie Fowler pick was Fox's coverage. Shame that such a great tournament gets FOX, not to mention that course. Thankfully I can't see major championship golf returning to Chamber's Bay unless they do something about those greens. This one stings too, since I managed to pick Jordan in what will likely be his only MC this year. Ugh

Traveler's is up next. Pretty decent field for the week after a major. Several guys that seem to always play well. Will start digging in today

Totally forgot to pop in here last week. Not that it mattered, I took justin rose.

Looked a bit at this week. Already used Sergio, Reed and Horschel. My list is probably between Snedeker, Na and English

Totally forgot to pop in here last week. Not that it mattered, I took justin rose.

Looked a bit at this week. Already used Sergio, Reed and Horschel. My list is probably between Snedeker, Na and English

Good list. I used Snedeker in his T-52 at Valspar, so he's out. I'm looking at Sergio, Horschel, Leishman, and Finau

Took Billy Horschel this week. He's well known to play really well in spurts. Hopefully I'm catching him at just the right time

Back