2015 Dollaz Thread (Mostly ODU)

I missed ODU -2.5. Would have played it. Jumped to 3.5 before i could touch it. Not sure I will touch it.

ODU and UTEP each have 5 conf-usa games. ODU-2-3 with wins over Charlotte and UTSA; UTEP 2-3 with wins over FAU and Rice. ODU's losses were Western Kentucky, FIU, and Marshall; while UTEPs losses were UTSA, FIU, and Southern Miss. Conference SOS is clearly in ODU's favor having facing the tougher teams.

In those 5 games, UTEP has been outscored 30-16. They have averaged under 50% passing with 5.7 yards per passing attempt. They have average 35 carries for 122 yards. The best offensive game was either 77 plays for 410 yards (FAU) or 392 yards on 70 plays-24 points (Rice). Both games at home, btw. On defense, they gave up 62% passing for 9.4 yards per attempt. They have given up 35 carries for 154 yards. Overall, the defense has given up 62 plays for 406 yards. They are getting out gained by almost 2 yards per play.

Over those 5 games, ODU has been outscored 38-24. THey have averaged 53% for 6.2 yards per passing attempt. They have average 36 carries for 183 yards. OVerall, the offense has averaged (last 5) 76 plays for 431 yards or 5.7 yards per play. Defensively, they have given up 70% passing for 7.9 yads per play. They have given up 42 carries for 172 yards per game. Overall, the defense is giving up 84 plays for 436 yards and 5.2 yards per play.

Comparing the two teams, ODU has the advantage in every spot. They are both passing for more yards per play and given up less yards per play in the pas game and the run game. The offensive numbers likely look better if not for Bentley playing at Marshall in the rain. In the 3 games David Washington has played, the team has put up:

77 plays for 482 yards (6.3 ypp)
67 plays for 498 yards (7.4 ypp)
85 plays for 548 yards (6.5 ypp)

They only have 2 common opponents; FIU and UTSA.

Against FIU:

ODU lost 41-12. They put up 498 yards (7.4 ypp) and gave up 448 yards (6.2 ypp). They just couldn't convert in the red zone. FIU beat UTEP 52-12 with UTEP putting up 267 yards (3.8 ypp) and giving up 518 yards (9.8 ypp)

Against UTSA:

ODU won 36-31. They put up 548 yard (6.5 ypp) and gave up 424 yards (5.6 ypp). UTEP lost 25-6 putting up 275 yards (3.8 ypp) and giving up 335 yards (4.2 ypp)

ODU's defense has not been good, obviously, but they have been "ok" against the run in converence. They gave up 2.8 yards per carry to Marshall, 4.4 to Charlotte, 1.8 to FIU, 7.7 to Wky, and 3.7 to UTSA. IT's been the pass defense that has been the issue with teams completing passes at will (though yards per pass isn't too damning at 7.9) On offense, ODU has moved the ball well the last 4 games with 3 of them being with DW under center. The run/pass threat of DW has opened up the run game. ODU is capable of moving the ball through the air and on the ground. One bit of concern for UTEP is the height of ODU's WRs...saw it a lot vs. UTSA, they throw it up and let these tall WRs go get it.

UTEP has been an up and down team and this is a must win for both teams as it is only chance for a bowl. There offense has had trouble moving the ball. 3.5 yards per carry and under 50% passing at under 6 yards attempt. ODU's porous defense won't shut them down, but will UTEP be able to get much more than 400 yards on offense, if that? Thats a good question. UTEPs defense is possibly inferior to ODU's. They have allowed 9.4 yards per pass in the last 5.

UTSA 6.2 yards per pass
FIU 16.7 ypp
FAU 9.5 ypp
Southern Miss 8.4 ypp
Rice 8.2 ypp

Only Southern Miss out of those 5 teams would be considered a great passing team, though FIU's QB is decent. Still, teams are just gouging them through the air. On defense, they are giving up 4.4 yards per rush so that isn't terrible.

This is a noon game on the east coast for a team traveling 2,000 miles. That can't be a good thing in their favor. They are 0-19-1 lifetime on the east coast. (straight up)

Is there reason to believe UTEP has turned the corner? I don't see it. They beast a bad Rice team that hasn't beaten anyone of note this year. ODU seems to have the advantage all around except for special teams. Motivation is there for both sides. I think they may actually be a comfortable win for ODU. I ended up locking in -3.5.

Also made plays on App State, UTSA, and Baylor.

wow great write up Dollaz, I took ODU with the -3 after seeing ODUs conference stats are second behind WKU in the passing game while UTEP has been getting gashed. I am definitely with your boys for the second week in a row

Fantastic write up Dollaz, I like the matchup for ODU passing game to thrive. GL this week.

The teams that concern me against ODUs offense are the teams that can stop the run with their front 6 and still can cover. The teams that don't have to load up the box and have big, physical corners in the back end. Teams that can get after the QB. UTEP doesn't have this so I expect them to have some trouble defensively. (average under 2 sacks per game) Incarnate Word put up 7.8 yards per pass and ran for 4.1 yards per rush vs. UTEP.

The concern is always the defense and even pitiful Charlotte moved the ball vs. ODU. But, the difference ended up being their inability to throw the ball. I don't think UTEPs offense is capable.

Game played out almost as expected. Defense played better than I expected as they wound up at 300 yards....50 of them came in garbage time. Team is improving as you would expect a young talented team to do. Now 19-2 in November overall. I like where they are at and have a chance at a bowl game. Of course, the change at QB has been big as well. This game may have been worse if Lawry didn't get hurt.

I have a lot of respect for Southern Miss. Been on them a lot this year. What Im trying to figure out is if they are as good as Wky or just good at being terrible teams bc they have had an awful schedule this year. Id be tempted to go ODU at over 3 tds, but I'm going to hold off now and dig some more. ODU is typically close win or blowout loss.

Dollz, good stuff from your boys this weekend. I have also been on Southern Miss almost every week and even said this in my write up for this weeks game: they can not compete with the upper in CUSA but have definitely so far shown that they can stomp the lower end of the CUSA 49-14 NT, 32-10 UTSA, 44-10 Charlotte, 34-13 UTEP, 65-10 Rice (but off a bye in a great spot) Think there have defnitely been some adjustments for Sou Miss with their ATS record and covering -7.5 by 50 last week, and may potentially be in a look ahead with La Tech last game of the season.

Yikes, all indications were that Lawry was in next week, but he is now "out" with a foot sprain. Yikes....big loss.

Odu +22.5
O19
O60.5

Line doesnt reflect the improved play in OdU lately. Granted SM is good but i see 41-24ish

Won 2 out of three but frustrating to be up 10 in 3Q and lose by 25. Team just fell apart.

Up 10 and give up drive for TD. Then fumble in own end followed by tipped pass int at the 3. All of a sudden frim up 10 to down 11.

Young team just doesnt recover from that. Team stood toe to toe woth USM for 2.5 quarters after starting QB went out.

Biggest game in history next week and will be without Washington and maybe Lawry. Team has really grown this year and played well lst half of the season. I expect team to be fired up and FAU to come out flat playing for nothing after almost winnig their game of the year. Expect ODU to be a short fav and them to win.

BOL everyone.

No idea what is going on, but my local still doesn't have this game listed. It's the only game off the board and hasn't ever been placed on the board. I see that its around FAU -4 in most places which would mean an incredibly large bet on ODU for me. (maybe it's good the book has it off the board :)

I think these teams are pretty much even. I think ODU has a slight edge in running the ball and will be the better team on the ground. They have home field advantage and all the motivation in the world.

Back