2015 Dollaz Thread (Mostly ODU)

Thanks
thought this 42 might be a bit of a stretch aslong as NSU stack the box and try & slow Johnson and Watson down,try and make Birdsong beat you,if he does so be it.
But just seen that Holliday is going to play Litton aswell as Birdsong https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW3eqUudBGc&feature=youtu.be which tempers my enthusiasm cause Birdsong isnt going to beat anybody..

ty pal

FYI, Marshall is going to play alternating Birdsong and a true freshman QB this Saturday.

Thanks ,I was unaware what playing both meant,thanks for the clarification.

JFC this forum

I know I've been harping on a little bit better defense biota you this year in a slower pace. Mainly the running the ball a lot more. But if you run the ball effectively it will open up things on the passing game. So I don't expect ODU tojust run the ball against NC State like they did in the rain against Norfolk State.

I have this pegged as a higher scoring game than 60 points. Not a big play by any means but I took a stand once it was under 60

Really odd to come out of a 24 point loss and be encouraged but I was. The defense played realively well 79 plays-435 yards for playing against a much bigger and stronger team. Offense just couldnt get anything going; aided bu a ton of drops by WRs. Odd bc we typically have sure handed WRs but its been a problem in the first two games. The defense tackled a lot better and got after the QB (that is so big he was able to escape a few times).

Offense did nothing. Their DL manhandled our OL. One big play and another good drive and that was it. When you drop 4 passes on 3rd down against a better team, you are in for a long night.

Havent dug into App State too much but I thought before the Nc StTe game thate it was 50/50. After the Nc State game, I feel better about ODUs chances. Im shocked at the line of 7 but App State off a bye and ODU fighting bigger guys may be part of it.

Im locking in ODU -7. There wont be such miss matches on the lines. The improvement on defense is showing up and I think there should be more space for the ODU offense. App State wont be able to stop the run with 6 defenders so thru wont be able to mimmick NC St.

Ive never heard Wilder talk so giddy about a team and its potential. Maybe its a bit premature but these guys are just better athletes than we've had. i dont think App State is going to manhandle us. Getting 7 at home surprises me.

31-28 good guys.

Love this thread.

I know you mentioned the drops which is a drive killer and stat killer... but any concerns about the yards per play this team is generating right now?

They had negative yards rushing yesterday. If you remove the 70 yard TD play they had 78 total yards. For the game.

Against Eastern Michigan they were outgained by 31 yards despite being plus three in turnovers and the opponent losing their starting QB who was the best player on either sideline when the game started. And that was with converting a high percentage of third downs in that game. Somehow got to 38 with roughly 440 yards or so?

Team is transitioning right now .. probably for the better long term ... but they aren't there yet on the offensive side of the ball. App state held Clemson to under 400 yards despite the tigers running 75 plays.

Off a bye, with meaningless Wyoming game on deck.

App State closed last year just wiping the floor with teams in this ballpark and have about everyone back.

Going to be tough to line up and run Lawry at them all day. They are going to have to succeed in the air to keep the game competitive.

Would wish you luck but I am going oppo here.

Yes, I'm certainly concerned about the offense. But, 5.7 yards per play vs. both EMU and Norfolk State isn't terribly bad (NSU was in rain). They were just completely overmatched and did nothing vs. NC State. They often stacked the box and play man, but even times when they only had 6 in the box, they shut down the run. The size difference was just massive. Bentley is a very talented QB that has done well in camp the last two years so I really do believe in him; despite his inability to click in the first 3 games. Maybe I'm lower on App State than I should be but, I don't think they are going to be able to stack the box and play man and I don't think they will be able to stop the run with just 6. Not that I expect the offense to all of a sudden be world beaters, but I do expect improvement over the course of the year. Really odd to see so many drops this year, maybe Bentleys ball isn't all that catchable, because these WRs didn't drop anything last year.

The defensive line has been extremely impressive. Im not sure how many sacks they had, but other than sacks, they had a couple times and he threw ball away. They hit him a couple times causing errand throws. To do so with several freshman along the DL was the most encouraging aspect of the game for me. Speed, tackling, QB pressure are all huge improvements over the past. So far they have given up 5.4 ypp to EMU, 4.5 to NSU, and 5.5 to NC State.

I don't rate the Sun Belt very highly; slightly below CUSA. I don't know a ton about APP State, but when I looked earlier in the year, I had ODU in the 90 range. I had App State 80-85ish. They are a tough team to read, they lost to Liberty last year. They then had a fairly soft schedule (outside of Ark State) and won games down the stretch. I've never seen a switched flipped like that and it will be interesting to see how they build off that.

The teams that have really given ODU trouble have been teams that were just bigger and more athletic....(Marshall, Midd Tenn State, UNC, Maryland). Last year La Tech was a good team, but they didn't have the size to dominate the lines and they went to ODU and lost.

On offense, they go 275, 295, 275, 315, 290. No real size at WR or RB. (I will say looking at stats, there QB looks awfully impressive and secondary was a concern at the beginning of the year for me; though they haven't really been tested in the first 3 games)

On defense, App Stat plays the 3-4 mainly (but obviously won't be able to play that vs. 4 wide. They have some size at NT, but their ends are relatively small outside of Blair (240ish range). They have an outside linebacker listed at 5-11 195 and the other OLB at 210. Their corners are going to have a size mismatch as well as only 1 of the corners is 6 foot (and exactly 6 foot) ODU has wideouts that are 6-3, 6-2, 6-3, 6-2 and all 200 pounds and above.

Im familiar with some of ASU players because they are essentially a direct recruiting competition. This is a matchup over a more experienced team on the road vs. a team of higher rated recruits. As I said, maybe I'm sleeping on App State, but I don't think they have the advantage athletically (just by looking at depth charts). Even if they are a team in the 70s; 7 points might be a bit out of wack to win on the road.

Good stuff Dollaz. Good news is that one of us will win, bad news is that I will lose.

Lol, I won big on NC State last week (though I wanted to lose bet) and lost a little on the total. (both teams just mailed it in in the 2nd half). I hate to see a capper I respect on the opposite side (and line moved to 7.5 at my shop). Before the NC State game I had this pegged as at best App State -3. It seems to me statistically the NC State game may have moved the line a bit. I've seen some brutal, discouraging beat downs of ODU (Marshall, UNC, Maryland), but I didn't come away from the NC State game discouraged about the team. Maybe it's psychologically the difference between the defense struggling and the offense struggling. We are an offensive staff and I know the offense will get going at some point (despite freshman QB). I guess to see the defense stand relatively stuff has me encouraged.

Getting to other games:

NC State is an impressive running team. The combo of Thornton/Dayes is a pretty tough matchup and Brissett is a capable runner. Cant say I'm terribly impressed with their wideouts, but they do have some speed. The OL looks pretty tough and the defense is very good, imo. Their secondary might be the best I've seen up close. I have South Alabama rated around the same as ODU, maybe slightly below and thus going back to the well. Took NC State -16.

Western Kentucky -20.5
VT -8 (ECU is terrible)
Nevada +2
PSU -13.5 (they have found a running game; where was Barkley vs. Temple?)
Kansas +13
Georgia Southern -17
Auburn -3 (1 last game with faith in them)
TCU -7.5
BC -4
Ball State +18.5

The weather forecast for this weekend looks awful and likely benefits App State more than us.

Locked in under 58.5 for ODU game. 90% chance of rain with some wind in the forecast. I pegged this total high 50s in nice weather so the possibility of bad weather puts me on the under. I would be shocked if this total doesn't drop drastically by Saturday.

Western Kentucky -20.5
VT -8
Nevada +2
PSU -13.5
Kansas +13
Georgia Southern -17
Auburn -3
TCU -7.5
BC -4
Ball State +18.5
NC State -16
ODU +7
OK State -4
Navy -6.5
Rice +35.5
Arm/Eastern o55.5
Tenn/UF u53
ODU u58.5
Southern Miss +21.5 and over 68
Florida Atlantic -12

I forgot to post some or posted in other random threads. Not much substantial movement, but most were a point or 2 in my favor. Middle Tenn is staring me in the face, but I can't pull the trigger. I also like FIU over La Tech.

Onto Charlotte. They got me week 1 vs. Georgia State, (I got them vs. MTSU) but why are they still getting so much respect? They were down 5 touchdowns vs. MTSU in the first quarter (and one of the Charlotte scores was a ill advised onside kick). FAU should wax the field with Charlotte, they are 2-3 years from competing in CUSA, imo. I've seen ODU go through this process, but the difference was ODU got lucky with an NFL QB, while Charlotte has nothing at QB.

FAU has not looked great by any means, but Charlotte was outgained by 476 yards last week and 5.8 yards PER PLAY. FAU can move the ball on offense so I'm not worried about that at all. The starter is questionable, but little Driskell can sling the rock.

App St being hi poss tm will keep OD best feature of the field, I made total 55, got it at under 57...bol dollaz

ODUs best unit right now is defense But they are due for some turnovers so maybe we get 3-4 in the weather today.

I added ODU ML parlayed with FAU.

FAI was my favorite play on the board so I went again at -10 and at -9. If they got me, they just got me. I dont care who the QB is, i have Charlotte as bottom 5 team in college football

This FAU loss is going to be disgusting. 7 fumbles? Charlotte cannot pass block a lick and WR drops a pass directly too him and falls to Charlotte for pick 6.

Just needed to vent. This is disgusting. Fumble at goaline earlier as well. FAU could probably take a knee on offense every down and cover this game.

Edit. 8 fumbles

this is unreal. got a parlay for 5 units payout gonna die with FAU clowning around on that pick 6

FAU pick 6 was life saver. Shew. Im fading Charlotte again bc i think books have them too high. No QB and poor defense; thdy have a big power back that is ok.

Temple -24
Marshall -20.5 (thoughts on this later)
App st -21.5
Mia -4.5
Vandy +3.5
Nc state -5.5
Unlv +12
Colorado St +5.5
BC +6.5
WVa +7.5
Ole Miss -7
Unc +9.5
Georgia southern -7

Really hihgh on UNc and Miami this year so riding them.

Tend to agree on Temple. The problem for Charlotte is just what you mentioned .. their offense is the power back and Temple is pretty good at taking that away and not quite as good at taking the spread pass attack away. It's a CBS game too I think, not an ESPNer so maybe Charlotte not as pumped as they might otherwise be.

Think I only disagree on one of your plays so we are seeing it the same. I see you are going back to the well with NcState .. they are playing some killer ball right now.

I had a shot at the -4 with Miami .. I might at later or something, but I couldn't bring myself to take the -4.5 after passing on -4 .. but agree there.

good luck and look forward to the odu writeup as always... best odu thread on the webs i would venture a guess.

Tend to agree on Temple. The problem for Charlotte is just what you mentioned .. their offense is the power back and Temple is pretty good at taking that away and not quite as good at taking the spread pass attack away. It's a CBS game too I think, not an ESPNer so maybe Charlotte not as pumped as they might otherwise be.

Think I only disagree on one of your plays so we are seeing it the same. I see you are going back to the well with NcState .. they are playing some killer ball right now.

I had a shot at the -4 with Miami .. I might at later or something, but I couldn't bring myself to take the -4.5 after passing on -4 .. but agree there.

good luck and look forward to the odu writeup as always... best odu thread on the webs i would venture a guess.

thanks. I will have some stuff tomorrow. They will get better as the year goes on but ran into a buzzsaw.

I really like NC STate after seeing them in person. Three in a row might be too much to ask? They are impressive right now.

I still feel Charlotte is fortunate to be where they are.

My take on Saturdays game was; "Damn, just how good was Taylor Heinicke?"

Not making excuses, I viewed that game terribly and App State is a superior team. They had a bye week and seem to be a bad matchup for a young ODU team. Their offense relies on miss direction and gadget type passing plays and ODUs defense is nowhere near disciplined to be able to handle it. (that was the only thing; team speed was certainly in Apps favor)

The game started slowly and both teams were getting stops. Then ODU on consecutive drives gets into the red zone and flops (missed FG, and untouched fumble on a throw by the QB -2nd year in a row, it's returned for a TD). It seemed liked after that the team just threw in the towel and lacked effort outside of a handful of guys.

This offense is pathetic. I really can't pin in on one thing and that's the sad part. The OL is getting a lot of the heat, but I don't think they are the biggest reason. The QB is also getting a ton of heat (some of it deserving), but the WRs are averaging probably 4 drops per a game on 26/27 attempts. The scary part is teams are loading the box and our WRs are still not getting open on a consistent basis. I thought this change of philosophy was the smart move with a young team, but it failed miserably. Its time to revert back to the system we use to run. Bentley has played in a spread his entire life; the system isn't complicated, just let him play football. Anytime, we have sped up the tempo, we've moved the ball. But, this run on first down and then be 2nd and 12 on every possession is killing us. I think its time to open it up, sling the ball around and let the chips fall. This conservative run game isn't the answer anyways so I'm not as concerned with the defense wearing down. (and the defense is deeper this year, even if they were gashed on Saturday)

On defense, they gave up almost 7 yards per play. Pathetic. Double moves, option plays, miss directions plays all day long. The Monarchs could not stay in their gaps, they were just abused. In retrospect, I should have recognized the young defense would struggle vs. a misdirection type offensive team.

This team will get better. Its young and the best players are freshman and sophomores. But, it's going to take time. I expect better effort on Saturday, but I can't get the Marsahll game out of my head from last year. They were just bigger and stronger and it seemed like they were playing at a higher level. Marshall is suffering with shit QB play, but I don't know that ODU is going to be able to stop them. I took Marshall -20.5 because I expect it to go up.

I will try to have some more thoughts are hearing Wilders press conference today.

Thornton has been dismissed from the NC State team. Not, a gigantic blow bc they have another top back, but still a blow as I think Thornton was a very good back.

Thornton has been dismissed from the NC State team. Not, a gigantic blow bc they have another top back, but still a blow as I think Thornton was a very good back.

We are loaded at RB, Shad was a solid back but with Dayes, Samuels & a couple of strong freshman it was easily the teams deepest position. So you hate to lose the leading returning rusher but he was a secondary back for them at this point anyways.

Also, watch the weather report for the Raleigh area this weekend, we are projected to get heavy rain all weekend. It drove down both the Duke & NCSU totals a couple of points already Should turn this game into even more of a slugfest, and I'm a little concerned that the wind + rain is going to make it difficult for State to utilize Brissett's ability to throw on the run as much as they otherwise would like to. I'm bullish on NCS but a little wary about laying points with them in this spot. Good luck though, I hope they cover for you

Light card after rough week

Rice +3. Are you kidding? Granted, Rice got stomped by the conference elite, but this is out of Wack. Rice always gets killed in non conference then beats cusa mediocre teams.

Southern Miss +7. I havent seen much of them but i was not impressed by Marshall at all so fade of them. Their offense is pretty bad. They couldnt stop run when ODU couldnt move ball thru air.

UGA -2.5. Just think they are a class above.

Ball St +11. I thought 7 here.

That might be it. Leaning Nc ST. I do have Miami +4.5 from before year which is terrible line value but FSU is not good this year.

This ODU team is close despite the awful numbers and final score. The defense giving up 38, 49, 27 is not indicative of the level of defense being played, it's a function of turnovers and poor field position. Marshall ran 75 plays for 324 yards and scored 27 points. Its frustrating that the offense is not good, but every time they do get a drive going they turn the ball over or a bad pass or a dropped pass (another 6 dropped passes....at least and I'm conservative on calling balls a drop)

Defense first since there are some positive...mainly very good defensive line play. Marshall score a TD on a 10 yard drive and a TD on a 42 yard drive. They got a field goal on a 3 year drive. Thats 17 points right there. I worry about the defense vs. a team that can really throw the ball (we haven't faced yet), but the defense has done well against the teams so far.

The offense just isn't clicking and I don't have an explanation. It's like it's just off and the team isn't good enough to overcome minor mistakes. One of 3 things are happening in the passing game; the QB screws up, the QB does, or the WR drops a pass. I have hope, but they are going to have to make significant improvements. The good news is ODU was able to run the ball despite the lack of a passing game and the team drove the ball fairly well late in the game.

We have a week off before Charlotte. I've seen Charlotte play a ton. They have a big, powerful running back and a decent defense (considering the level they are at). If ODU struggles vs. charoltte, I'm going to be very concerned. The offense has played 3 games out of 5 in driving rain. (dry vs. NC State and Eastern Michigan) You cannot blame it solely on the weather bc that is not the only reason,but I am very curious to see the offense vs. a low level CUSA team in dry weather. If they don't move the ball, there is no excuse, but I do hold out some hope.

Im rambling, but wanted to get some thoughts on paper. I don't think either offense is going to put up a great display in this game. Based on what I've seen, I think something like 27-13 ODU. With the youth on the team, there is hope that the bye week gets them refocused after 3 really tough games. This is the most talented team (outside of QB) we've ever had. The guys fly to the ball on defense like we've never had. The DL actually controls games. The offense has a stud RB if they can somehow get him a crease. They have talented WRs that just can't hold on to the ball. The QB is the key, if he plays like I think he can, we will have a fun second half. If he plays like he has, then it's going to be 1-2 wins tops.

I watched the game against Marshall. We did have a throw to the end zone to cover that was intercepted (semi-hail mary). Also, there were a few drops .. but the QB isn't throwing very catchable balls. He is kind of awful.... I mean, I see some potential with him .. but right now he is what is holding back the offense. I give Wilder credit .. he is doing it right. Lawry is a beast. The oline run blocks way better than they pass block. The QB is bottom third in cfb. The WR's are not good enough to make plays to help the qb or get open enough to help the qb with margin of error. So I give him credit for doing it the right way with the personnel he has. The problem is that without the playmakers on the outside, their only chance is really Lawry breaking a run. They have to methodically get down the field to score and the QB just can't make enough third down plays to make that work right now. No reason to think the QB doesn't improve but right now .. he, more than the WR's (I saw drops) is to blame for the offensive woes. I thought the defense played well .. not just disciplined and consistent but made some big plays too .. but they are going to tire if that offense cannot generate more first downs and more points to keep them in the game so the defense plays inspired for the full 60. Well coached I think ... for cfb programs the coach matters so much so I think odu will just get better each year and be a middle of the pack lower conference type team. If they cannot get healthy against Charlotte .. uh oh.

I watched the game against Marshall. We did have a throw to the end zone to cover that was intercepted (semi-hail mary). Also, there were a few drops .. but the QB isn't throwing very catchable balls. He is kind of awful.... I mean, I see some potential with him .. but right now he is what is holding back the offense. I give Wilder credit .. he is doing it right. Lawry is a beast. The oline run blocks way better than they pass block. The QB is bottom third in cfb. The WR's are not good enough to make plays to help the qb or get open enough to help the qb with margin of error. So I give him credit for doing it the right way with the personnel he has. The problem is that without the playmakers on the outside, their only chance is really Lawry breaking a run. They have to methodically get down the field to score and the QB just can't make enough third down plays to make that work right now. No reason to think the QB doesn't improve but right now .. he, more than the WR's (I saw drops) is to blame for the offensive woes. I thought the defense played well .. not just disciplined and consistent but made some big plays too .. but they are going to tire if that offense cannot generate more first downs and more points to keep them in the game so the defense plays inspired for the full 60. Well coached I think ... for cfb programs the coach matters so much so I think odu will just get better each year and be a middle of the pack lower conference type team. If they cannot get healthy against Charlotte .. uh oh.

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree the QB is not playing well. I will say that he would look better if the WRs were performing their jobs. Another problem mentioned by coaches is the WRs running routes at the wrong depth, really throwing off the passing game. You are right though, the QB is a large reason for the struggles. I've seen him at times in the spring game/scrimmages really get in a groove and move the ball, but it has not translated into game action. He's slow footed and he's got to figure out a way to make quick reads and put the ball where it needs to go. There are a couple playmakers outside, but they've been non existent and the only way they've gotten the ball is screens; which we are a pathetic screen team (OL just doesn't move well enough)

Thankfully, there is some depth on defense or it would really get ugly. But, the defense has played well after years of being ugly.

You are right about Charlotte. If they don't come out looking good against Charlotte, then I'm going to be very disappointed.

Dollaz took odu -8.5 today thinking that was a pretty strong play. Would love to hear your thoughts on it. Thanks

Dollaz took odu -8.5 today thinking that was a pretty strong play. Would love to hear your thoughts on it. Thanks

I have Charlotte graded as one of the worst teams in NCAA. I think they are terrible. Ive seen almost all of their games. They have zero QB play- actually a step down from us. Defense is better than i thought it would be and they have a decent RB.

Think there is some class relief for ODU here. Playing at home in hopefully nicer weather than we've seen. I think the bye benefits ODU as I think they continue to get better as the year goes on. This team really does have a lot of confidence for a young/mediocre type team.

But, the goal is 6 wins and i think the coaches saw a 2-3 start. (If lucky, 3-2). This is a game they've penciled all year as one they have to win.

I really do believe in bentley at QB and I read some good reports out of a scrimmage they had last week (team practiced thru bye week, even scrimmaging). I like his mindset and i like his skills, he just hasnt clicked yet, but I think he will. If the team doesnt play well vs Charlotte, season goals may be gone. Its ry a must win and I expect the offensive coaches to come up with a good game plan. Defense hs really stepped up and our DL should really play well.

So, my largest wager I've made is on ODU today at -5.5. I have to even on principle alone. I was more than willing to back ODU at -9.5 and its now under a TD. If you asked me this line before the season, I would say 17+. Even this week, I thought over 10.

What has changed about this game? Charlotte has had some misleading closer type scores in the rain. (got blitzed by a good conference USA team in MTSU) I've seen almost every game for Charlotte......they aren't a good team. ODU has played relatively well this year outside of an abysmal passing game. Defense is much improved and they have possibly the best RB in the conference.

Matching up with Charlotte, I'm not sure where Charlotte has the advantage. Pass defense is inferior despite only playing 1-2 decent passing teams. Run defense is pretty similar when considering level of competition. I think ODU has played a tougher schedule...App State, NC State, Marshall > Temple, MTSU, FAU. I see the teams as a lot a like in some aspects. Even the pathetic play at QB from ODU (so far) is superior to what Charlotte has gotten on offense. Ive been steadfast in saying I expect ODU to improve over the course of the year and I think the bye came at the perfect time. I love the ability of the offensive coaches to find ways to attack a defense and having 2 weeks to focus on Charlotte helps. ODU is pretty healthy as I don't know of any significant players out this game. I think Charlotte plays all out vs. the run and we finally hit some plays in the passing game (hoping the tail end of Marshall game gave Bentley some confidence as well what has been reported as a strong 2 weeks of practice)

Before the season I chalked this up to an easy win. While, I don't think it will be as easy as expected I think Charlotte is a fraud and ODU is a young team that is growing. Good luck if anyone follows me against some good cappers, but that is how I see it.

Really odd game and apologies to anyone that tailed. ODU is just a very inconsistent point at this point. Defense looked like crap the first half and then stepped up in the 2nd half. OVerall, Charlotte ran 106 plays for 536 yards at an uptempo pace. Can't recall that many plays being run in a game before. 5.06 yards per play is not bad, but letting a crappy offense run 106 plays is. I think the youth of the defense is getting some guys out of position and not maintaining gap responsibilities, which is really hurting them vs. read option teams like Charlotte. So far, the pass defense has been solid and not a to complain about on that side.

The offense got a shot in the arm with moving Washington from WR to QB. He looked sketchy at times and inconsistent, but also made some great throws. The OL was terrible and his athleticism really helped out the passing game. Good to see all conference WR Pascal break out. One of the best WR performances I've seen at the college level, about 5 of the 11 catches were incredible catches. 37 points- 77 plays for 482 yards against a decent defense is acceptable.

The numbers guy in me thinks its an aberration, but it's incredible to see how this program wins close games. We either win a close game or lose by 2 scores or more.

FIU seems to be opportunistic this year. They were outgained by 300 yards at Mass and only lost by 10. Outgained by 160 at LT and lost by 10. Outgained by 115 and lost by 8 at MTSU. Statistically, both teams are pretty close. FIU averages 0.5 yards per play more on offiense and they give up the same on defense. ODU has the stronger running game and FIU has the strong passing game. On defense, FIU has the stronger run defense and ODU has the stronger pass defense.

I think it's slightly too many points, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with a wager. Washington inserted into the game was a surprise for Charlotte and now FIU will have time to prepare for a mobile QB. He looked really good, but hesitate to put too much stock into it. Was accurate and has a cannon for an arm and has always been able to throw a good deep ball. At this point, I think something like 31-20 FIU, but holding off on any wagers at this point.

Saturday was an example of "how do you cap this sport?"

First downs- 20 to 20
Total Yards 498-448
Rushing Yards 297 to 58 (both 33 attempts)
Passing Yards 201-390 (34 attempts vs. 39)

So you have a team getting 12.5 points put up 498 yards on 67 plays including rushing 33 times for 297 yards......and lose by 30?

Diving deeper into ODU's drives to explain 12 points on 500 yards gained:

First drive- missed field goal
2- nothing
3- 75 yard TD
4- Coaching blunder-go for a run with 5 secs left. (obv thought too hard on this one)
5- 1 play TD
6- nothing
7- Interception
8- fumble on kickoff
9- PUnt
10- Downs
11- Fumble
12- Downs
13- Downs

Overall, the offense drove the ball to the following yard lines:

FIU 26
End zone
1 yard line
end zone
FIU 41
FIU 17
FIU 11
FIU 47

and got 12 total points.

First line I saw this week was +24 vs. Western Kentucky. I'm not sure, I think WKY scores as many points as they want to as I rate them as the best team on ODUs schedule and put them up with Marshall of last year. Situationally, I think it favors the Monarchs (week after LSU), but if I place an ODU bet is strictly on situation. If Western Ky comes to play, this is a 30+ point game. The replacement QB, Washington is out for the game with an injured leg which means a return to Bentley.

First line I saw this week was +24 vs. Western Kentucky. I'm not sure, I think WKY scores as many points as they want to as I rate them as the best team on ODUs schedule and put them up with Marshall of last year. Situationally, I think it favors the Monarchs (week after LSU), but if I place an ODU bet is strictly on situation. If Western Ky comes to play, this is a 30+ point game. The replacement QB, Washington is out for the game with an injured leg which means a return to Bentley.

Curious to know what you made this total? I made it 73-ish on the low end. I think ODU will def be able to move the ball some and with any luck should get into the 20s. And def don't see any way they slow wku down at all if the toppers are even remotely interested. Call it 52-21 ish.

Curious to know what you made this total? I made it 73-ish on the low end. I think ODU will def be able to move the ball some and with any luck should get into the 20s. And def don't see any way they slow wku down at all if the toppers are even remotely interested. Call it 52-21 ish.

I make it lower. I don't really like the over in expected blowouts and I may actually lock in an under bet depending on the total. I think ODU struggles to get to 20. They have already come out and said they are going to try and slow down the pace again and keep Wky off the field. They play extremely conservative when Bentley is under center and I think that continues. I have some respect for the Wky defense this year as well. I think you are going to have to see a lot of turnovers for this total to get in the 70s.

I see the game as ODU trying to slow it down and run with Lawry but failing to convert 3rd downs. I think Wky can score, but noon start after a brutal LSU game MIGHT mean they come out slightly flat. I can see two scenarios that both cash under tickets. WKy comes out on fire and drops 40 in the first half and just runs the ball in the 2nd half. Or I can see them starting slow and then scoring enough to win but not put up 50.

Wilder has a young team and I expect him to try and protect them in this game. When they are down big and the game is out of hand, he tends to slow it down to just end the game. I don't think ODU stays in it unless it's a very uncharacteristic low scoring game. If I have to make a prediction, I say something like 45-17 ish. Could see 52-10. Could see 42-14. I would be shocked to see a score like 56-24/52-21.

I make it lower. I don't really like the over in expected blowouts and I may actually lock in an under bet depending on the total. I think ODU struggles to get to 20. They have already come out and said they are going to try and slow down the pace again and keep Wky off the field. They play extremely conservative when Bentley is under center and I think that continues. I have some respect for the Wky defense this year as well. I think you are going to have to see a lot of turnovers for this total to get in the 70s.

I see the game as ODU trying to slow it down and run with Lawry but failing to convert 3rd downs. I think Wky can score, but noon start after a brutal LSU game MIGHT mean they come out slightly flat. I can see two scenarios that both cash under tickets. WKy comes out on fire and drops 40 in the first half and just runs the ball in the 2nd half. Or I can see them starting slow and then scoring enough to win but not put up 50.

Wilder has a young team and I expect him to try and protect them in this game. When they are down big and the game is out of hand, he tends to slow it down to just end the game. I don't think ODU stays in it unless it's a very uncharacteristic low scoring game. If I have to make a prediction, I say something like 45-17 ish. Could see 52-10. Could see 42-14. I would be shocked to see a score like 56-24/52-21.
Got ya. Thanks for the response. I was thinking it was more likely that odu is down like 21-3 at end of 1st q and have no choice but to open up the offense and the air game. Could be wrong and you def know more about this game than i do. Just an outsider perspective, playing devil's advocate but i do think wk gets to high 40s minimum. Good luck whatever you choose to play. Thanks again for the reply.

Tough for me to gauge this team right now. Certainly didnt expect them to out up 30 and Bentley looked great.

Not doing a ton of capping here; UTSA is awful (as is ODU). They shouldnt lay double digits to anyone.

Im also on Marshall +1.5. Not sure where that line is coming from. Marshall has been imoroving through the year.

Nice to see us move the ball at will. Have to do better in the red zone, which had been a problem with DW at QB. Look at FIU game too- team moved ball until red zone. They have 2 good red sone WRs but have struggled to run ball in red zone.

Defense played good enough. Strange that Wilder led teams seem to find ways to win close games (any lose is double dogits to blowouts). Is that sustainable? The stats guy in me says no, but its been case for years.

Really excited about the future. Almost everyone of note on the teams is a freshman/Soph and everyone good (except Misher) will be back next year

Glad to see this team get the win yesterday. They have never quit trying. They play hard every single week. They built the prior year teams to be loaded for FBS initiation and as you mention, they are young right now. They will be better than this the next few years.

Anyway, thought of you when I saw the score. Grats.

Thanks CC. Winning 6 games with this team would be a very underrated coaching performance that wont be talked about (even 5 would be good). Wilder does a fantastic job and throws old school people for a loop bc he actually makes sound decisions vs 1970s style thinking. This team is already young and has a ton of injuries (walkon freshman started at RT) and yet they compete like you said. Defense has a way of playing terribly all game and then gettin stops in the 4Q of close games. The DL is going to be a problem for opposing teams in CUSA.

The funny thing about yesterday was DW didnt even throw well. Many balls were well underthrown or overthrown and his WRs bailed him out. Would have neem blowout with good QB play (well throws).

Good luck on the pro game today guys. I think the Skins cover and play well.

Back