2014 World Cup Draw

Ba0X5GTCYAAcArG.png:large

for the US they basically need Ronaldo not to show up

if he shows up he can walk through that team, if he doesn't (and for the NT it's been a 50/50 thing) they can nick a draw and then just hope for a result from Ghana

or play Portugal in the final group game, where they may already have 6 points and Ronaldo starts on the bench

Ive no idea how that draw was worked out,or how it was done,but 3 European sides in one group isnt right.

Belgium will win every group game,be chalk but an easy cash as group winner.
Also Ive had .02c on them to win the whole thing,with a chance of edging late on.

Group C is what the world cup is all about... a real mix of races,great group.

If the USA win it,they can justifiably call themselves the World Champions.
Suprisingly,looking forward to it. GL

I don't think there is anyway to avoid it manuk, without having some very unbalanced groups..

I believe USA order of opponents is Ghana, Portugal, and germany

Germany is last and even with a Germany backup team is going to include goetze, gundogan, bender, Schurrle, maybe draxler

All who will want to prove they deserve in the first 11

So Germany winning their first 2 and resting the 3rd game isn't a real likely scenario

Klinnmsman vs Germany, come on, this ain't random, lol

Exactly.

Not sure why everyone is panicked about the USA chances, Ghana is ancient and Portugal is a one man team.

US advances and gotta hope Uruguay don't win group D or they go out in the first knockout round again.

Wow I remember before qualifications you could get 100-1 on Belgium to win it all, know they have the 5th lowest odds to win it. What a cakewalk draw.

I will take Brazil/Argentina you can have the other 30 teams straight up...anybody interested ?

I've let ur first few anti-Anerican posts go, but you, my friend, have one of the worse cases of "little brother" complexes I've seen in awhile. Straight delusional. Lol

really dude? it's not like you are the most well liked on this site.

why do people say I'm Anti-American? Prove it, I'm anti homerism predominantly against people who don't know what they are talking about. If I was anti american why the hell do I travel down south on a regular basis and enjoy it there? How is that Anti American? Again maybe you need to stop making false accusations.

Ive no idea how that draw was worked out,or how it was done,but 3 European sides in one group isnt right.

Belgium will win every group game,be chalk but an easy cash as group winner.
Also Ive had .02c on them to win the whole thing,with a chance of edging late on.

Group C is what the world cup is all about... a real mix of races,great group.

If the USA win it,they can justifiably call themselves the World Champions.
Suprisingly,looking forward to it. GL

Thoughts on your fellas. THis is a tough way to start, extremely hot climate vs Italy.
I'm very intrigued by the Suarez factor here wonder if he breaks the hearts of the English fans and perhaps not wanted back in Liverpool lol

Canadians hate the USA
i don't hate americans, i love it there...what I do hate is the ignorance that americans display towards anyone but them selves and this isn't just geared to a specific person here..just some of the encounters are so ignorant it boggles my mind, that being said family are americans and alot of good friends are...even steven...

At first thought this was a terrible draw for US......now thinking they can advance with 4 pts. The schedule is set up great for us (best it could).....getting Portugal after they play Germany.

why are people overlooking Ghana? 2006 same thing happened most US fans thought 3 points vs Ghana was a given and then end up losing.
The chance you'd have would be Portugal as apolous mentioned after they play Germany but other than that the last game is vs Germany?

i don't hate americans, i love it there...what I do hate is the ignorance that americans display towards anyone but them selves and this isn't just geared to a specific person here..just some of the encounters are so ignorant it boggles my mind, that being said family are americans and alot of good friends are...even steven...

I've noticed throughout the years that Canadians have a hate towards the USA soccer team. I don't think anyone here has ever said they were gonna win the World Cup. But a small run after the group stage isn't out of the realm of possibility. It seems like you guys are so pumped when this team doesn't do well (not everyone). I noticed one explanation is we expect too much from this team. I don't think so. No one thinks we can match up with the power houses of Europe and S. America. That's pretty obvious especially when you look at the reaction to our draw, which was despair.

Though I am starting to swing on this and thinking that the Ghana game pretty much is gonna tell you everything you need to know about this World Cup for the USA

why are people overlooking Ghana? 2006 same thing happened most US fans thought 3 points vs Ghana was a given and then end up losing.
The chance you'd have would be Portugal as apolous mentioned after they play Germany but other than that the last game is vs Germany?

I don't think that the Ghana game is a lock, but its the game that they have the best chance of winning. Portugal is winnable or drawable. Really depends on one guy. In terms of the Germany game I think you can just be hopefully that they have already advanced with 2 wins at that point and the game will be meaningless so we might have a smll chance.

The big thing for me is the offense can not disappear. They need to go into the WC hot on offense, thats key

I've noticed throughout the years that Canadians have a hate towards the USA soccer team. I don't think anyone here has ever said they were gonna win the World Cup. But a small run after the group stage isn't out of the realm of possibility. It seems like you guys are so pumped when this team doesn't do well (not everyone). I noticed one explanation is we expect too much from this team. I don't think so. No one thinks we can match up with the power houses of Europe and S. America. That's pretty obvious especially when you look at the reaction to our draw, which was despair.

Though I am starting to swing on this and thinking that the Ghana game pretty much is gonna tell you everything you need to know about this World Cup for the USA

Alex the issue is simple, and you cannot deny there is plenty of homerism with the USNT, it's quite disgusting. Banter is fine but when you make comments that sway to being unrealistic then you are asking for backlash. If the fans were more humble then it wouldn't be such a problem but man every big tournament the US is in there's so much nonsense.
Again there is no Anti America it's trying to figure out what goes through the minds of unrealistic fans.

I don't think that the Ghana game is a lock, but its the game that they have the best chance of winning. Portugal is winnable or drawable. Really depends on one guy. In terms of the Germany game I think you can just be hopefully that they have already advanced with 2 wins at that point and the game will be meaningless so we might have a smll chance.

The big thing for me is the offense can not disappear. They need to go into the WC hot on offense, thats key

The US team in the years past have always played as a very good single unit the problem is when they go behind the issue is where are the goals going to come from?

Alex the issue is simple, and you cannot deny there is plenty of homerism with the USNT, it's quite disgusting. Banter is fine but when you make comments that sway to being unrealistic then you are asking for backlash. If the fans were more humble then it wouldn't be such a problem but man every big tournament the US is in there's so much nonsense.
Again there is no Anti America it's trying to figure out what goes through the minds of unrealistic fans.

TM what and who is unrealistic about our expectations? I think reaching the quarters would be something to shoot for and what we should hope for. Of course if you watch the USA media they are gonna spin this optimistically. Of course we are gonna try to be optimistic. I bet you everyone is optimistic in every country plotting there way to figure out how they can advance. I think if our expectations were unrealistic, then you wouldn't have seen a reaction of disappointment from half a million people on twitter this afternoon. You would have seen, easy, no problem.

In terms of the 2nd post, I think you just hope that Altidore comes into the WC with good form and play like he did last summer

Probably because that was 8 years ago versus a young, talented Ghana squad when Boatang and especially Essien had legs. They are ancient and no way in hell does the US lose this match.

TM what and who is unrealistic about our expectations? I think reaching the quarters would be something to shoot for and what we should hope for. Of course if you watch the USA media they are gonna spin this optimistically. Of course we are gonna try to be optimistic. I bet you everyone is optimistic in every country plotting there way to figure out how they can advance. I think if our expectations were unrealistic, then you wouldn't have seen a reaction of disappointment from half a million people on twitter this afternoon. You would have seen, easy, no problem.

In terms of the 2nd post, I think you just hope that Altidore comes into the WC with good form and play like he did last summer

there's a difference between optimism and homerism. You see a ton of that in this forum be it in the NBA forum, NFL, CFB or CBB.
It's great to be optimistic and like you said everyone is optimistic if you aren't why are you at the WC right?
However the issue is that sometimes the posts become a bit comical and i've seen it since 2002. Each big event the US participates in there is a sense of ignorance like "we are better than you all"
If I recall someone here said the US would go far in the WC no matter who they face see now that's a bit of a ridiculous statement. As you said if the US make the Quarters that's quite an achievement, but when you look at this group specifically you cannot just think that getting out of this group is already an accomplishment no? The thing is where are they going to get the points?

Probably because that was 8 years ago versus a young, talented Ghana squad when Boatang and especially Essien had legs. They are ancient and no way in hell does the US lose this match.

Righhhht, i'm pretty sure you said the similar thing in 2006. The US would beat Ghana and oopsy they lost.
Put your money where your mouth is then, put your entire bankroll the US to win?

I think getting out of this group is an achievement, and I think getting out of the round of 16 would be too. Optimistically I think the USA advances with 4 points. They could easily get 0 or 1 point in my mind too. I dont know who said they would get through group stages easily no matter who they faced but they clearly don't know what they are talking about. I've never seen this on this site and from anyone I know to be honest, but maybe I'm talking to the wrong people.

i honestly could careless, in fact if you ask J Galt about the hockey discussions, i actually defended the US against the Canadians...in regards to the football I dont' think they are that great, and your'e right Ghana match will sum it all up....i was more speaking to my experiences in the states and what i've encountered ... i mean i've been asked "do you know bob from Edmonton" as if Canada is that small...

I have noticed that there have been little digs towards Canadians in other parts of this forum, the typical Canadian jokes and everyone has a chuckle, but the minute something seems anti-american it gets called out realllll quick.jsut my 2 cents, i love you fuckers from the south

I really love germany in this tourny though....they have size top through bottom...their midfielders are huge and their forwards are jsut as big their size should help them succeed

there's a difference between optimism and homerism. You see a ton of that in this forum be it in the NBA forum, NFL, CFB or CBB.
It's great to be optimistic and like you said everyone is optimistic if you aren't why are you at the WC right?
However the issue is that sometimes the posts become a bit comical and i've seen it since 2002. Each big event the US participates in there is a sense of ignorance like "we are better than you all"
If I recall someone here said the US would go far in the WC no matter who they face see now that's a bit of a ridiculous statement. As you said if the US make the Quarters that's quite an achievement, but when you look at this group specifically you cannot just think that getting out of this group is already an accomplishment no? The thing is where are they going to get the points?

I think you are exaggerating greatly to try and help your argument...you openly cheer and root for usa failure, and you know that. That is fine I really don't care, but don't try to act like you are the reasonable person here..

I think you are exaggerating greatly to try and help your argument...you openly cheer and root for usa failure, and you know that. That is fine I really don't care, but don't try to act like you are the reasonable person here..

are you serious man? again you are making an assumption and have no valid argument to back that statement. if you are going to say that then Teed is also guilty of this. Or are you going to just pinpoint me. You are now twisting this.

Quite simply the issue on hand is homerism from you guys as oppose to optimism. One can't have a reasonable or intelligent discussion about this sport and the USNT without one of you guys making a ridiculous statement.

you keep making the argument that we are being irrational about the expectations of the usmnt, when in fact we aren't as gurv pointed out.

I'm okay with a rational discussion, as I have clearly pointed out we are the weakest of the four teams in this group.

yes the casual fan who watches soccer once every 4 years who doesn't have a clue is going wonder why USA doesn't always win, but why do you always lump us together with them?

So, yes I believe the majority of the posters in here are rational.

Your americans are so dumb when it comes to the USMNT act is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo drawn out

Portugal aren't really a 1 man team, that's a bs argument

they lack the depth of most European teams but they have but Ronaldo, Pepe, Coentrao, Moutinho, Nani all walk in and become the best player on Ghana or the US

are you serious man? again you are making an assumption and have no valid argument to back that statement. if you are going to say that then Teed is also guilty of this. Or are you going to just pinpoint me. You are now twisting this.

Quite simply the issue on hand is homerism from you guys as oppose to optimism. One can't have a reasonable or intelligent discussion about this sport and the USNT without one of you guys making a ridiculous statement.

Nope, I think they are bad but I don't cheer against the team

I dislike the hype ESPN gives to untalented players who are treated like gods of a 4th tier league (Landy Cakes)

what CarolinaGuy and what someone like Braves or Alex say who actually follow the sport is completely different

the only blatant homerism I have seen was in the other thread I think when someone said they'd finish 4th at the WC after they qualified

Ghana is the important match, they need 3 pts, it would then allow them to take a defensive approach against Portugal and have a somewhat chance to gain a point.

There is a decent chance Brazil/Spain could meet in the round of 16, that would be crazy

Nope, I think they are bad but I don't cheer against the team

I dislike the hype ESPN gives to untalented players who are treated like gods of a 4th tier league (Landy Cakes)

what CarolinaGuy and what someone like Braves or Alex say who actually follow the sport is completely different

Simple answer to why ESPN does this and I'm sure I don't have to tell you. First ESPN has MLS and World Cup coverage. Of course they are gonna promote the best player in the league. Second you can't be ESPN and say the USA is really kind of fucked, you won't get the casual fan. I don't remember how many people watched last time. But I remember the number was pretty big against Ghana.

Moving onto the cheering against the USA. I don't think anyone here is really upset I just think it's strange. I personally don't care what Canada does in anyway shape or form. Only time I'm cheering against Canada is if my team is playing them or I have a bet on something. You not cheering against the USA can't be a serious statement. Look at your posts from when the draw happened. Your posts are in capital letters. It's clear jubilation from you and TM. The unrealistic expectations is a silly reason. I don't see it. I don't see anyone saying it's finals or bust. I don't see anyone saying much other then plotting on how the USA is gonna advance. You are doing the same with England, because naturally you a re a fan, and that makes sense.

Ghana is the important match, they need 3 pts, it would then allow them to take a defensive approach against Portugal and have a somewhat chance to gain a point.

There is a decent chance Brazil/Spain could meet in the round of 16, that would be crazy

I think that is definitely the most important match for both teams knowing that ok playing Portugal and Germany is a huge task to get something, but as you or Alex mentioned before, you can get a tired Portugal team or perhaps catch them off guard after they play Germany then that draw is definitely more likeable.

The one thing that the US will have an advantage playing against Portugal is that the Portuguese prefer playing against a team that attacks them. I think the US may frustrate the Portuguese enough to get them out of their game.

Just an observation is the US plays better when they aren't the ones creating the chances, the offensive creativity is lacking but the counter option is there and they are very good at it.

Ghana will need clinical finishing, most African teams tend to be rather erratic and just play extremely physical football. I don't think that will bother the US as much since they are extremely discipline. The only thing that perhaps maybe the downfall of the US is the pressure on this match to get something. Play too conservative and the opportunities will be missed, play too adventurous and in a snap of a finger there goes the chance.

Back