2013 US Open Discussion...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Golf history comes rushing toward us this week, dominates our senses, fills our souls with nostalgia. The U.S. Open starts Thursday at Merion Golf Club outside of Philadelphia, where Bobby Jonescompleted his 1930 Grand Slam, where Lee Trevino outdueled Jack Nicklaus in 1971, where Ben Hogan in 1950 hit the most famous 1-iron in golf history.
To which every player in the field under the age of 40 says: "What's a 1-iron?"
Yes, sports fans, this will be a blast from the sport's past, a rotary phone of a golf experience in a smartphone world. Merion is so old-school and unique, the flagsticks on each green feature red wicker baskets instead of flags. Ask 90 percent of the field about the wicker baskets, and most of them will only associate wicker with their grandparents' patio furniture.
And yet, there are potential downsides all over the Merion experience.
• Four par-4s measure less than 360 yards. Guys like Dustin Johnson hit 330-yard drives these days, and complain that they hit it off the toe of the club.
• Merion's acreage is so tight, the driving range and player locker rooms are a mile away, at the West Course. For players who are used to complimentary deep-tissue massages in trailers near the first tee and caviar as an appetizer in the grill room adjacent to the 18th green, this will be a culture shock.
2013-06-02T235202Z_1_CBRE9511UAV00_RTROPTP_2_GOLF-PGA.JPG
Tiger Woods is seeking his first U.S. Open victory since 2008. (Reuters)• Ambient noise from church bells will ring every half hour, and a train line nearby will rattle Merion with whistles. For players who give major championship scowls if a photographer passes gas during a pro-am, this will be a test of their high-strung nerves.

• Corporate hospitality tents, the money-making faucet for the USGA, have to be severely curtailed and placed in awkward spots, because of Merion's claustrophobic conditions. For a USGA that likes to think of the "S" in their title as an "$," this will surely cause agita.
• The course measures only 6,996 yards. Last year's Olympic Club layout, at 7,100, was considered like a miniature golf course, so today's pros will be wondering if they're hitting from the ladies' tees.
• Heavy rain, a strong possibility during the week, could soften the greens so thoroughly, the players in the field may shout 'Target Practice!' before firing wedges at the wicker.
• Also, potential floods mean a doomsday scenario has the USGA prepared to play two holes from the West Course, a mile away, if needed. Can't you just hear Dan Hicks and Johnny Miller now, whispering into the microphones: "And now we'll see third-round leader Matt Kuchar sliding into the mini-van for his trip to play the 11th hole a mile away … he's asking that the radio be put on a "classic rock" station … his driver wants to hear "adult contemporary" and this could be a problem, Johnny…"
And you know what I say to all of that?
Good!
Let's see something different. Let's see wacky challenges confront these guys. Let's see these guys keep their space-age drivers in their bag and have to hit 4-iron off the tee all day. Let's see these guys get bedeviled by a canted fairway, by a sloped green, by the idea of thinking their way around a golf course, not bombing their way around a golf course. Let's see them get uncomfortable.
The USGA would probably like to patent that phrase for all of their national opens: "The U.S. Open: Let's See These Guys Get Uncomfortable."
Besides, that teensy bit of yardage at Olympic last year? Yeah, Webb Simpson won at 1-over par. Turns out these big boys get all itchy and scratchy when they can't hit it anywhere they want. Merioncould mess with these guys, big.
Who does it all favor? It favors a player with patience, a short game, a strategy and more than just distance off the tee. In other words, it favors most U.S. Open champions. Last year at Olympic Club, Simpson did the best thing possible – shoot a final-round 68 from the front of the pack, then sit back and let the U.S. Open chew up Jim Furyk and Graeme McDowell, inch by inch. Two years ago, Rory McIlroy blew away the field at Congressional, but that was wholly different for two reasons: One, heavy rains and long yardage made it a bomber's paradise, setting up well for Rory's style; and, two, Rory was a whole different guy, unencumbered by Nike dollars, self-doubt and a girlfriend that takes up a lot of his time and attention. But three and four years ago, McDowell at Pebble Beach and Lucas Glover at Bethpage(!) played the sort of grind-it-out golf that makes a USGA champ.
And five years ago? Well, that was Tiger Woods at Torrey Pines. That was a whole different deal, for many reasons. That was Tiger when he was Tiger, and all that it entailed, even on one leg.
Make no mistake. Tiger loves the allure of history. And Merion oozes it. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tiger employ his irons-off-the-tees strategy he used to obliterate the field at the 2006 British Open at Hoylake, and end his five-year drought.
Tiger likes places where names like "Bobby Jones" hang in the air. The two share a common love of St. Andrews and Hoylake, for example. And while Tiger doesn't share common triumphs with Ben Hogan – the Wee Ice Mon won at places like Riviera and Oakland Hills and Oakmont and Carnoustie; while Tiger favors Pebble Beach and St. Andrews and Torrey Pines – Tiger does, after all, know what a 1-iron is. That puts him ahead of 90 percent of the field.
Merion's an old soul in a Twitter world. And I don't care if you can summarize your thoughts in 140 characters. This week, it might be wise to respect your elders.

Raining in Philly today. Thunderstorm potential tomorrow. Another good chance of T-storms rolling through on Thursday. High's only in the 70's all week with light winds. Looks like prime scoring opportunities. My round leading totals: Round 1: -6, Round 2: -9, Round 3: -11, Round 4: -12

Just got back from the course, no real news on injuries.

2 plays though.

[TABLE="class: Grid"]
<tbody>[TR="class: NonAlt"]
[TD]6/12/13 5:54pm[/TD]
[TD="class: MiddleRight Currency"]$60.00[/TD]
[TD="class: MiddleRight Currency"]$50.00[/TD]
[TD]Pending[/TD]
[TD]6/13/13 7:10am Reduced Golf 118 Justin Rose (Tourn) -120* <small>vs</small> Phil Mickelson (Tourn) [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: Alt"]
[TD="class: NoWrap"]-2
[/TD]
[TD]6/12/13 5:54pm[/TD]
[TD="class: MiddleRight Currency"]$71.50[/TD]
[TD="class: MiddleRight Currency"]$50.00[/TD]
[TD]Pending[/TD]
[TD]6/13/13 7:00am Reduced Golf 162 Fredrik Jacobson (Tourn) -143* <small>vs</small> Nicolas Colsaerts (Tourn) [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

The par 3's there are beastly except the one that is a wedge. The green however on that hole will cause all kind of problems. Pretty cool course.

I waited on the fade Phil plays to see this weather. Looks like 80-905 chance before the early starters finish so decided not to play anything :(.

I waited on the fade Phil plays to see this weather. Looks like 80-905 chance before the early starters finish so decided not to play anything :(.

I'm not reading too much into the weather. The morning guys should get through it ok, but in the afternoon they are predicting thunderstorms, which will drag them off the course. If they don't get back on that'll give them soft conditions on friday morning, working out all equal

I'm not reading too much into the weather. The morning guys should get through it ok, but in the afternoon they are predicting thunderstorms, which will drag them off the course. If they don't get back on that'll give them soft conditions on friday morning, working out all equal

From what we got here(in Mich) seems to be moving fast...looks like(if the lines stay how it is) that there will be stoppages middway through the early starters rounds...good points though. I am going to revisit the plays before I hit it in ninety minutes..

184755126_Position1.GIF

Nicolas hot early. He probably left driver at home. By the way 11 was fine when i was there. You couldnt even tell it rained.

15 is just silly the OB is literally 1 yard off the fairway. If you miss it in those bunkers, you are done as well. Some crazy holes to end. 16 isnt that bad but 17 is a beast.

Played this course last year, the last 6 are a bitch, but before that it is pretty easy (relatively). If a guy can play 13-18 at even par all week he should win

Who I'll be pulling for throughout the week. Made 8 small bets and hoping to have a shot on Sunday

Kevin Chappell +10000
Tim Clark +11000
Kyle Stanley +16000
Francesco Molinari +16500
Michael Thompson +18000
Nicolas Colsaerts +25000
Justin Hicks +65000
Gavin Hall +100000

Would be super pleased if Colsaerts and Clark can finish up in their current situations. Afraid there might be some big numbers on the last 4 holes though

I really thought we'd see a 64 today but it's looking less and less likely. If low scores aren't posted today or tomorrow someone may win this thing at about -4

Yup .. if the soft surface doesn't produce scoring these jackalopes are in danger of a -1 winning to be honest .. assuming conditions are less appealing to scoring on the weekend. I took some flyers on guys I thought would benefit from scoring conditions with Clark, Garrigus, Schwartzel, billy horschel, and Haas. But alas .. haas and garrigus have already completely shit the bed. At least Clark and Charles are competing early though meaningless almost .. like a big poker tournament .. you cant win it in day1 but you sure can lose it.

Damn glad I made no fade Phil bets lol.

Too much was made of soft conditions. People predicting double-digit under par, cmon now.

Been seeing it fairly regularly since 2010. Miss any more fairways and we might not see him finish this tourney.

Don't sleep on Gavin Hall. The kid shot -13 for four rounds in the RDGA at Oak Hill West, at age FIFTEEN.

Tiger seemed to be stirking better... still gotta drop those 10 footers... right up there if he dropped those

Back