2007 Revised Copy#2 Of Week 1 Ncaaf Lines

TroyStacks

18" Pythons
These are my lines in accordance to how I cap them if there is a number next to the spread that is the expected line....

BUFFALO
RUTGERS -21...-24

MIOH
BALST +2...+5

LSU
MISST +28...+25

UNLV
UTST +6...+3.5

UTAH
OREST -8.5...-7

NAVY
TEMP +17...+25

WAS
SYR -3...-1.5

UAB
MSU -8...-12

APPST
MICH -32...-35

YSU
tOSU -24...-29

FIU
PSU -30...-34.5

ECU
VT -27...-33

ULL
SC -29...-35

MAR
MIA -17...-22

WMU
WVU -20...-24.5

ARKST
TEX -49...-41

CSU
COL -2...PKEM

CMU
KAN PKEM...+3

UVA
WYM +4.5...+7

UCONN
DUKE +13...+6

WF
BC -8...-5.5

NEV
NEB -16...-13.5

MISS
MEM -4...-2

MIZZO
ILL +7...+4

WAZST
WISKY -13...-11

IOWA
N.ILL +18...+14

HOU
ORE -17...-13

GT
ND +3...+7

UCLA
STAN +14...+10

AZ
BYU -2...PKEM

BAY
TCU -17...-15

UCF
NCST -16...-13

ARMY
AKRON -3...-6

OSU
UGA -13...-7.5

NTX
OU -27....-36

TROY
ARK -17....-21.5

PUR
TOL -7...-4

KSU
AUB -7...-14.5

TEN
CAL -6.5...-3.5

BG
MIN -5.5...-16

SJSU
ASU -17...-11.5

NM
UTEP -3...-6

IDAHO
USC -45...-43

TT
SMU +7.5...+6

FSU
CLEM +6...+2

This are my lines and lines I expect to see. Lets get the debate going once again with better lines IMO. Some are different than #1 where I have changed my opinon on who wins the game or by how much. Anyways hops this helps out. Be critical the time is coming.:cheers:

First, Great work.. I am not at the point yet where I feel I can set accurate lines on every game. You obviously are.

I just think there is no way that the books make ND +7, If the Golden Nugget opened them at -9.5, you are talking about a 16.5 point swing. I think maybe they should be +4 to +7 but imo there is just no way the books make that the line. (Atleast I fuken hope not)

FSU/Clem... I think its hard for me to argue the +2 but think maybe this game is a PK. The first line was a little high at +6 but that again imo is what I might play it up to with a new QB, new OL, vs a very good D.

AZ/BYU...I think at PK, I have to take AZ and fall into the hype with everyone else. They beat them last yr and AZ should be better while BYU should be worse.

NM/UTEP...I think maybe the wrong team is favored here, if not -6 is too much and I would take NM. NM has 18 returning starters. UTEP lost their whole DL, their QB, and 3 of their top 4 receivers. Granted losing the WR's might not matter much with Fred Rouse dominating CUSA but NM won the game last yr 26-13. Now with UTEP -6, that is a 19point swing to cover that game.

Thats all I got for now, I haven't capped a lot of these teams yet.

I really really hope ND+7 is not the line as my Play of the Week is now gone.

Last edited:
Toledo -4 over Purdue....

Purdue has 18 starters back and should have a top offense in the B10 besides Mich. Toledo does have 16 starters back and are 38-4 on their blue turf but I am not sure this B10 team should be a dog to Toledo. Toledo vs. BCS schools last yr lost to Iowa St in double OT, beat Kansas 37-31 in double OT, lost to Pitt 45-3. I have to take Purdue + points here.

Last edited:
I think ND will get bet up to that and will open at 6 range. They think Claussen is the second fucking coming of jesus christ himself.

This game should be a pick which and will be fuck with ebveryones heads. Gimme FSU whatever it is though.

BYU lost alot but they still have a solid unit. Being it a home game i may have to side with the mormans AT THIS POINT. Still a game I am torn on. Would like to hear a west coaster opinion on this game.

UTEP has the better coaching and its at home to start the year off. Teams are about even IMO and I think this game is actually right around my line at -3. Will be curious to see. CB may have some gpood insight on this matchup.

Toledo matchup I like a lot.The MAC comes to pkay against the big boys. Give me a tough home team against and overrated/hyped B10 team anyday. The glass bpowl is a special place thats for sure. They flat out can roll. I would love to see points in this but its Purdue. They return 18 starters who sucked last year, that means nothing IMO..

Great start to discussion

Claussen will be sitting his ass on the sidelines with his elbow surgery or whatever it was. I am just praying for GT to be a dog or PK, thats all I ask Vegas, pleasssseee.

Agree with FSU being the play.

Not so sure about BYU. Last yr John Beck was 28-37 for 289yds vs. Zona. Max Hall is just a sophmore and I am sure over the course of the yr the QB will put up good numbers but they won't be John Beckish. The good thing for BYU is that they return 4 starters on the OL but did lose their top 4 receivers. Now you have a strong OL, new QB, new WR's, and backup RB who is now the starter (92att-481yds). I think in the first game they lean heavy on the run but last yr they ran 24 times for 24 yards vs. Zona. Beck was also sacked 3 times last yr, the most he was sacked in any game. Zona brings back 9 guys on that defense so they should be equally as tough against the run and do better vs. the pass. My concern about Zona is their lack of offense so maybe the under might be good here. The defense gave up an avg of 19.6points/game while the offense averaged just 16.6points/game.

UTEP-3, I prob wouldn't play but if it was UTEP -6, I have to give NM a hard look.

I hate the MAC and think Purdue has to improve with so many guys back. They didn't exactly blow out the MAC last yr though (38-31 over MiOH in OT and 38-28 vs. Ball St). They gave up 386passing yards to MiOH which is flat out terrible. Interesting that Purdue is 1-2 vs. Toledo and the last meeting was a loss on the blue turf in Tiller's debut as Purdue HC. I think Toledo is outmatched on the line though. Painter can throw, Bryant can catch, and Sheets can run. They should have a 1k rusher, over 1k receiver, and a QB with around 4k yards.

Purdue OL: 6'5 307, 6'3 325, 6'7 303, 6'8 325, 6'8 262.
Toledo DL: 6'2 265, 6-2 275, 6'3 312, 6'3 240.

3 of their DL are giving 40-50lbs in the trenches.

I don't know, have to look deeper here.

Also want to add, I hope to see Washington at PK or +1. Think they can beat Cuse but don't want to lay any points on the road with them. If Cuse ends up laying 3 or so then I will def take the Huskies.

I think the SJST/ ASU game is interesting because the strength of SJST (Front 7) will be tested by the Strength of ASU (Running game). Ryan Torain is a good, powerful back, with some good speed and they have good depth at this position with Keegan Herring. ASU also has the only OL in the PAC10 with all 5 OL starters back. Carpenter should improve on a poor 06' as well. I was looking for a ASU -10 type line here because SJST is not really an unknown to the world after almost shocking Boise and people are aware that they were 8-3 ATS.. ASU OL has big size advantage over the SJST DL. <!-- / message -->

LSU
MISST +28...+25 I think the spread has a good opp. to go be bet past 28 ast he public should be all over LSU in this one. I think that MSU at home in the opener should come up with a decent defensive showing, If they can score a few points they should be able to cover IMO.

WAS
SYR -3...-1.5 i disagree with this one. I really like Washington in this one. I think they are the better team and they really need to get the season off on the right foot with their upcoming schedule. I see the spread as -2.5 for Syracuse. If its -3, I see great value

CSU
COL -2...PKEM Colorado should be the better team this year. At home in a pickem would be nice value

WF
BC -8...-5.5 WF should be good fade material early on

NEV
NEB -16...-13.5 Under two touchdowns for Nebraska looks good to me. There will probably not be a lot of defense in this one.

MISS
MEM -4...-2 This one also looks god under 3

WAZST
WISKY -13...-11 If the spread gets above two touchdowns WSU is good value IMO, under its a wash

HOU
ORE -17...-13 I do not think that Houston has much of a chance in this game. They will not be able to contain the Ducks offense which will put up 30+. I think that their offense will struggle a bit at Autzen and under 14 is a great bet.

UCLA
STAN +14...+10 I've seen projections with a much greater number than both of these. I think Stanford will play harder than the Bruins in this one. 14-16.5 is a good bet, anything higher is great.

AZ
BYU -2...PKEM Maybe Pac-10 bias, but I think that the Cats take this one hard.

TROY
ARK -17....-21.5 Arkansas should also be good fade material early on. Over 3 touchdowns looks decent

TEN
CAL -6.5...-3.5 California should definantly win this game. At 3 its a huge play, up to 6.5 it still should be quality.

SJSU
ASU -17...-11.5 ASU should score a ton of points in this one. At 11.5, I wouldn't mind taking the Devils

FSU
CLEM +6...+2 If you want to get on the FSU bandwagon this season this would be a good place to start

Here are the lines I think are a bit off (lines I would love to see). I'll be posting some line projections of my own here in about a week, when I'm done with all my research.

Ball State +5
Mississippi State +25
Oregon State -7
Temple +25
Michigan State -12
Marshall +22
Kansas +3
Nebraska -13.5
Purdue +4
Bowling Green +16
Arizona State -11.5
New Mexico +6

The ones in bold are about a TD or more off in my opinion. I think Purdue and Kansas are both nearly 10 points off...

Here are the lines I think are a bit off (lines I would love to see). I'll be posting some line projections of my own here in about a week, when I'm done with all my research.

Ball State +5
Mississippi State +25
Oregon State -7
Temple +25
Michigan State -12
Marshall +22
Kansas +3
Nebraska -13.5
Purdue +4
Bowling Green +16
Arizona State -11.5
New Mexico +6

The ones in bold are about a TD or more off in my opinion. I think Purdue and Kansas are both nearly 10 points off...

So you think that Kansas should be a 7 point fav here?

What does everyone think of USC? But 43 points?? Was really hoping to see something more like 28, but fuck...43 points...this is possible, but how probably is that??

What does everyone think of USC? But 43 points?? Was really hoping to see something more like 28, but fuck...43 points...this is possible, but how probably is that??

28 points vs. Idaho? -100%. Not a chance in the world. This line will sniff the 40's because Idaho is a terrible WAC team. USC can score 60 if they want to and Idaho will be lucky to score 10. I might look to hit the first half here. I think Idaho gets shut out (1st half) so its up to the USC offense and how much they want to score.

lindetrain would love to see your lines maybe we can coem to a consensus of safe plays and no plays or stgay away games. i'm open to hear other peoples opinions for sure like the title says revised copy#2 still got about 12 more to go till i get my final lines but i need all of your help guys

Great job Troy, Im at work so really didnt get to glance over all of them but anything under 2TD's for Wisky Im pounding. Their defense is one of, if not the best in the Big 10. Home opener at Camp Randall is always an advantage. Really would like Nebraska only giving that many.

Only about a month and a half away buddy. Cant wait till it starts

So you think that Kansas should be a 7 point fav here?

Maybe not 7, but I think it will be in the ballpark. CMU may look good at first glance, but their defense isn't shit and they have a guy coaching his first collegiate game EVER, at any level. Kansas has the better team overall and a clear coaching advantage here. I don't see any way this line is less than 4.

Am I missing...

something here? SMU + 7 vs the red raiders? Since 2002 Coach Leak doesn't have a veteran qb.
I'll pound this number if it's under a touchdown... any thoughts?

Maybe not 7, but I think it will be in the ballpark. CMU may look good at first glance, but their defense isn't shit and they have a guy coaching his first collegiate game EVER, at any level. Kansas has the better team overall and a clear coaching advantage here. I don't see any way this line is less than 4.

I agree with that, but I feel that CMU really matches up favorably with Kansas here. CMU is pretty balanced on offense, and while Kansas can stop the run, they have yet to show that they can stop the pass. While CMU's defense has not been great, I question whether Kansas has the skill players to take advantage, especially with Cornish gone.

I think that this line should be Kansas -3.

texas tech simply reloads every year quietly they will win against SMU by DD i think...

As far as CMU they win this SU. Kansas isn't anything to be worried about

i am still working in generalities but it's nice to have someone ahead of me in the ability to make their lines. nice work here troy, enjoy your contributions to college football boards. usually some really strong info in your threads... keep them coming.

thanks vegas all you guys putting in the time now will pay off. once august comes around this place will be packed with horn and bar and tj and hunt and cb then we can really get things going the month up to week 1 and finalize our plays as a forum.

think its going to be a solid yr for everyone, too much information on this forum for it not to be. the discussions have been good and its still about 8 weeks until opening day, crazy

indeed sir....we need some more homeade lines for sure though or some more thoughts on which lines i may be off on and correct them with what they feel it should be

Troy - Going to go through a few more of these matchups tonight. I got a question for WK2 (I know we have to get past wk1 first)...Assuming UGA beats Oky St, do you have UGA -6 vs. So Car or do you see a different spread on that game?

Alright had a lot of time to go through some of this.

Stacks- First, I disagree about the coaching advantage for UTEP. Going into 06', UTEP was a team who was suppose to battle Houston for the division, they had 29 seniors, preseason #1 offense in the conference. UTEP finished 5-7 which is underachieving at its best and in that case you have to look at the head coach. New Mexico on the other hand was picked to finish last in the MWC, they exceeded expectations and made it to a bowl game, although it was their own and they did only finish 6-7, at the end of the yr they were better than people thought they would be compared to the preseason. NM beat them last yr at home 26-13 in the 4th game of the yr for them, UTEP was 2-0 at that time so its not like they didn't get them at their best. NM rushed for 193yds that game and only threw 19times, 11 completions for 96yards. UTEP ran the ball 23 times for 30yards and passed 37times, completing 26 of them, for 211 yards..UTEP allowed 5 sacks as well. Now NM has 10guys back on defense compared to the 8 that UTEP has back on offense but UTEP lost their QB and 3/4 receivers.. NM has 8 guys back on offense, including a 1300yd rusher in Ferguson while UTEP must replace their whole DL and 7 starters from last yr's defense. Although the game is home for UTEP, I think breaking in a new QB vs. a decent defense will be tough. I think NM will rely heavy on the rush with Ferguson and have a lot of success in doing so and this will allow Porterie to ease into the QB position. I really like NM to win SU here so if they are catching 6 points than it will be a big play for me. I would go as far as to say that UTEP maybe should not be laying any points to NM here.

Gonna post in a little bit on some other lines which I think might be a little off

I am curious why you think UGA should be -13.5 to Oky St, I agree that the line will prob be -6.5 to -7.5 but I am not sure if UGA should be laying basically 2 TD's to Oky St. UGA is going to have serious problems in the defensive backfield without Oliver. They will not be able to contain Adarius Bowman. If UGA had Oliver, they would be able to put him on Bowman and force Reid to find someone else but without Oliver there is no one on UGA that can stop him. Also I think Savage and Toston will give the UGA defense problems rushing the ball. Oky St was able to pound the ball on Bama in the bowl game for over 200yds. UGA defense in its first game with 8 new starters could be in for a tough one here. Now Oky St can't play a lick of defense and they were dog shit on the road but I do not feel that UGA should be laying more than 6 here and Oky St is a live dog that is going to give them a fight.

I am curious why you think UGA should be -13.5 to Oky St, I agree that the line will prob be -6.5 to -7.5 but I am not sure if UGA should be laying basically 2 TD's to Oky St. UGA is going to have serious problems in the defensive backfield without Oliver. They will not be able to contain Adarius Bowman. If UGA had Oliver, they would be able to put him on Bowman and force Reid to find someone else but without Oliver there is no one on UGA that can stop him. Also I think Savage and Toston will give the UGA defense problems rushing the ball. Oky St was able to pound the ball on Bama in the bowl game for over 200yds. UGA defense in its first game with 8 new starters could be in for a tough one here. Now Oky St can't play a lick of defense and they were dog shit on the road but I do not feel that UGA should be laying more than 6 here and Oky St is a live dog that is going to give them a fight.

On top of that, OK. St shouldn't be able to stop Georgia at all. Can't wait for the O/U here.

UCLA is a tricky team to get a read on but with 20 starters back I have to think not much changes between UCLA-Stanford and last yrs 31-0 result. If its UCLA-10, I will be on them pretty big. I think the line maybe should be -17 or so and UCLA should get the respect they deserve on defense. Last yr the defense allowed 49rushing yards on 34carries to go along with 117yards passing and they recorded 7 sacks vs. the Cardinals. Stanford is outmatched here by a lot and even though the home team is 8-1 in this series, UCLA has shut Stanford out twice in the last 3 yrs. Stanford with a new QB in WK1 is not in a good situation and they are going to get bumrushed by a defense with 6 preseason 1st & 2nd ALL PAC 10 players.

Last edited:
damn you muthafuckers work? haha three posts by everythoing in 4 hours while i was gone....i love it haha.....

like i said the smaller schools we'll have to look into better and your starting to get me to think more i need to do more reseaerch on that gamne for sure. i need pags to check it out too hes good with the smaller schools. great points.

i really like UGA this year. richt as a coach is almost as good as it gets especially after the sugar bowl debacle. he reloads that defense every single year so yes i expect them to keep the cowboys under 14 points in that game while they have the firepower to put up atleast 24. don't be fooled when this line comes out georgia is for real and will comptet for the SEC championship.

UCLA hassn't earned the hype IMO however it is stanford and edwards is gone at qb for the cards. gimme UCLA up to -13 range anything more i gotta think a little bit. should be an easy win here for the bruins. they should have a great year but they do not compare to usc this year. i liek their coach though and i see atleast 8 wins for them this year.

I am just going to avoid the ones where we are off by 2 or 3 points in either the direction of the chalk or dog, at this time of year I don't think a 4-6 pt window is too unreasonable. So w/o further ado here are our "major" disagreements, most of which aren't too major.

Miss State won't likely be catching 25 points. That would be somewhat historical in the context of the last five years to have a home dog of that size in SEC play. Florida was laying 20 or more twice in the last five years (0-2 ATS, 1-1 SU!) and UGA was laying 24 to Vandy and 25 to UK (1-1 ATS) in that timespan and that was all that I saw in Phil Steele's mag. I did see a lot of -16s and -17s and that is about where I would expect this number. LSU has a date with VT the following week and is breaking in some new skill position pieces so I wouldn't look for this line to get to 20. I don't think a non-covering shutout by the Bengals is out of the question here. I could see them giving 18 and winning 17-0, its always possible.

I look for the Spartans to be laying a minimum of 17 points, if for no other reason than shear massive talent differential. Speed might not be that big of a gap as the Blazers have brought in some good athleticism in the last few years, but there appears to be a big edge in the trenches for MSU and they definitely have an edge in experience. I am a Dantonio fan as well. If the ball bounces their way a few times this season, they might even go bowling.

33 might prove to be a little bit high for VT with a trip to Baton Rouge over the immediate horizon, but you won't see me taking ECU at any price. That has shutout written all over it as the Hokies defense is going to be really frightening this season. I have them rated about even with USC on that side of the ball.

Kansas won't be a home dog, they'll be favored by a few, but probably not the full 8 that ISU was giving to Toledo in last years MAC @ B12 opener. Maybe -5 or so. CMU brings a lot back, but they lost a lot too, best deep threat, best pass blocker, center, best pass rusher, fastest LBer, best cover corner, head coach, and both coordinators. When you hear that they have 14 returning starters it doesn't sound so bad, but when you hear that they lose two of their three best WRs, two best OL, two best DL, and all three coaches, it paints a very different picture. This is a tough spot for them to walk into. I got to see Kerry Meier a few times last year and the one thing I do remember noting is that although he is a good size, he is certainly no statue. He gave Toledo all sorts of problems and he figures to do that to the Chips as well. Big 12 defenses don't care about that because their backers are fast enough to make up ground on a scrambling QB, but that can be a serious problem for MAC teams.

I would look for NU to be in the 17-21 department against a very young Reno squad. For all his misgivings off the field, Keller is dynamite on the field and those wideouts should be running wild through the Pack backfield.

Norther Illinois is gonna need a lot more than 14 to make that one interesting. The Huskies will need some luck just to reach the end zone. They caught the Hawkeyes in a dreadful spot last year (after UM) and even with Wolfe and company, they were unable to find 200 yards of offense. I see no reason why that would change this year. And as an added bonus for prospective Iowa backers, this year's starter Christensen played against NIU last year when Tate broke his thumb. I would expect this to look something like last year's Poinsettia Bowl, only the line will be much higher as the name Iowa (B10) resonates more than TCU (Mountain West.)

Oregon will be laying closer to 20, but I won't be taking them with trip to the Big House on deck.

Notre Dame won't be a home underdog. I have that line as Irish -2. Maybe it should only be 1.5 or just 1, but for a Gailey team to be a road chalk to a Weis team, my goodness, I think the planets would stop spinning and the end times would be upon us. As much as I like GT's blitz package defense, and I think Tashard Choice is very nice, its worth remembering that the Jackets will be one-dimensional in the early going this year. Notre Dame's talent level and speed are finally getting to a point where they can be competitive with most upper-echelon BCS teams after the dreadful late 90s. I think a lot of folks are gonna be betting on this game and I doubt I will be one of them.

Possible UCLA supporters should expect to lay closer to 20 than 10.

I am expecting to see Purdue favored by about a TD, but I am expecting to be betting on Toledo. In their last 5 chances as a home dog they are 5-0 SU, I believe.

ASU will be a favorite of much more than 11.5, but that game is certainly difficult to handicap. Tomey has things headed in the right direction there in terms of learning to run the football and bringing back the Desert Swarm approach to defense, but this will be the best team they have encountered in his time there other than maybe Boise last season. Dennis Erickson tends to have an immediate impact with teams before wearing out his welcome a couple years down the line.

UTEP -1 or Pick looks better to me. They will as good as their QB on offense, love the addition of Rouse, but their defense might go from bad to worse - if that's possible.

SMU better be catching double digits or something is seriously wrong with the world.

Good thread.

damn you muthafuckers work? haha three posts by everythoing in 4 hours while i was gone....i love it haha.....

no sir, no job. recent college grad sitting on his ass but parents starting to get on me so its job hunting time.. will respond to this thread in the morn, too fuked up to thin correctlyu

Agreed with almost all of your thoughts Garfather...except I have a tough time seeing Stanford get more than about 17. If so, I think it may be hard to pass on them.

I feel the same about the Purdue/Toledo game - I think Purdue is about a TD favorite, and Toledo covers and possibly wins SU. They are damn good as a home dog, as you mentioned.

I see Oregon being around -17...I think SMU is around +12. Texas Tech may not be 15 points better than SMU, but they have dominated that team (and non-conference competition in general) the last few years.

Back