1995-96 bulls or 2012-2013 Lakers .. better supporting cast?

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
Bulls 72-10

Pippen
Rodman
Harper
Longley

Key bench

Kerr
Wennington
kukoc

Lakers 15-20

Howard
nash
Peace/artest
gasol

key bench
morris
meeks
jamison
hill

Howard --led league in rebounding 6 times, defensive player of the year 3 times, led league in blocked shots several times
Nash- 2 time league mvp, 6 time league assists leader,canadian athlete of the year, 8 time all star
Gasol with all kinds of international accomplishments
Artest --nba defensive player of the year 1 time

Have to say bulls, jus cause Jordan's shoes have always looked better than Kobe's

Howard >>> longley
Nash >>> harper
pippen>>>Artest
rodman >>Gasol

Starters are an edge to lakers ... bench is a big edge to bulls i suppose

To date, this has to be the biggest underachievement in league history...granted marred by coaching changes, injuries and seeking of chemistry .. and granted a long ways to go ... but wow.

Pippen, Rodman and Harper were the best defenders in their positions in the league at that time (maybe Payton could give Harper a fight for that title). They also played together and weren't built in the offseason. They also didn't have any big injury as far as I can remember, while Lakers just can't catch a break and bench obviously huge edge for the Bulls.

Pippen, Rodman and Harper were the best defenders in their positions in the league at that time (maybe Payton could give Harper a fight for that title). They also played together and weren't built in the offseason. They also didn't have any big injury as far as I can remember, while Lakers just can't catch a break and bench obviously huge edge for the Bulls.

Lol

lets not forget jed buechler.

kerr is 1000x better than any so called 3 pt shooter on the lakers team.
who shoots over 51% from 3?

Ya the bench is a blowout ...but keep in mind that opponents depth in that era was way better than now too ( not to mention starting 5's)

Bulls in the pippen era were my most watched sporting team. He was a good player but when I say most overrated I mean in the context of being included in 5o greatest of all time type of talk .. what a joke.

Bulls in the pippen era were my most watched sporting team. He was a good player but when I say most overrated I mean in the context of being included in 5o greatest of all time type of talk .. what a joke.

he was better than a good player, but I can see the argument against him being one of the 50 greatest.

Didn't see that. I would disagree with Rodman over Gasol. Rodman was a solid defender and excellent rebounder but scored 2pts a game.

Didn't see that. I would disagree with Rodman over Gasol. Rodman was a solid defender and excellent rebounder but scored 2pts a game.

There can really be no arguing nash v harper or howard v longley so if you think that gasol is greater than rodman or that they are near equal then you have a MAJOR advantage in overall starting supporting cast for the lakers, no?

I'm leaving thread after reading pippen most over rated ever n ron Harper being a lock down defender like gp

No vk was rite rodman > gasol

yup. defense and rebounding and effort just makes him a bit better ... but not by much.

The technicals added up though for a player who averaged what ljc pointed out. He was high maintenance too. Similar to artest in that regard probably.

I'm leaving thread after reading pippen most over rated ever n ron Harper being a lock down defender like gp

I get that kobe might be more overrated but who else would you put there? James but he has most of career in front of him still.

pippen 50 greatest of all time ...even the biggest bulls fans in the universe laugh at the concept.

Have fun and start comparing bulls rosters to other rosters of the time ... then come back and tell me jordan isn't head shoulders ( knees and toes, knees and toes ) better than whoever you want to slot in the two hole.

But one thing is for sure .... This laker team better turn it around or they are the biggest underachieving basketball team in history of the sport.

What about the years Jordan was "playing baseball"? Pippen averaged like 22-8-5-3

Bingo. Pip was one play from the eastern conf finals without Jordan. You don't know basketball if you say this roster wasn't good or that he was overrated.

How many games has the lakers starting 5 played together? Just curious. Why even post this? What was the Colts record last year with Peyton? Oh, he didnt play all year..

This is hugely inaccurate. Rodman is in the hall of fame, do you think Gasol will make it there? Give me a break. Pau was one of the biggest losers in the league before joining Kobe. He has proven to be extremely sensitive and soft.

Have fun and start comparing bulls rosters to other rosters of the time ... then come back and tell me jordan isn't head shoulders ( knees and toes, knees and toes ) better than whoever you want to slot in the two hole.

But one thing is for sure .... This laker team better turn it around or they are the biggest underachieving basketball team in history of the sport.

Based off having a 38 year old pg and a guy who is about 70% coming off back surgery? *yawn*

Artest --nba defensive player of the year 1 time

What the fuck are you talking about man. That was nearly a decade ago. A lot can change during that time. Another useless fact.

Thats like saying the pga tour event is strong because it has David Duval and John Daly in it and they won major(s).

All bi-product

nash and howard were the batmans for their awards and accomplishments

"I would have to start my team with Scottie Pippen," he said. "This is why I would take Scottie: Do you remember the time that Michael retired? I watched Scottie Pippen when the Chicago Bulls weren't really good and Scottie led that team in every statistical category, and I just remembered that. Plus, he's a guy who could care less about scoring. He wants to stop the best player on the other team. That would have been pretty cool, to see Scottie guarding Michael." This is Malone talking about who he would take first on his team..

I was an avid follower of the NBA in Jordan's day, and I wouldn't open the curtains to watch it in my driveway today, so my comments shouldn't count for much. But wouldn't the current cast around Kobe be considered a lot softer on the court than Jordan's supporting crew, and probably much less aware and/or accepting of their roles? Horace Grant, Rodman, Kerr, Paxson, Harper ... tough, clutch players. Kobe won't ever be Jordan, but I don't think it's a surprise that the Lakers blow.

Rodman wasn't there to provide scoring though. Rodman's role was to be a rebounder, pure and simple - get offensive rebounds to provide his team with second chance scoring opportunities, and get defensive rebounds to deny the other team second chance scoring opportunities. He was also an excellent defender.

As for Howard, quite possibly one of the most over rated players of his generation (I'm not sure I've ever seen him score from further than 2 feet away from the basket). I think I'd just as soon have Bill Cartwright or Bill Wennington...

whoa whoa ... you guys are making it sound like rodman was in his prime or that pippen was... harper was way past prime .......

I agree that kukoc is better than gasol probably.

I also agree about the softness ... but that is a cultural phenomenon... modern athletes are pussies. So it is across the league and matters less when comparing results. I mean the natural extension of the argument you are making would lead to comparing the quality of teams in the league at the two points in time .. and wow that gets ugly for the lakers current underachievement.

Rodman wasn't there to provide scoring though. Rodman's role was to be a rebounder, pure and simple - get offensive rebounds to provide his team with second chance scoring opportunities, and get defensive rebounds to deny the other team second chance scoring opportunities. He was also an excellent defender.

As for Howard, quite possibly one of the most over rated players of his generation (I'm not sure I've ever seen him score from further than 2 feet away from the basket). I think I'd just as soon have Bill Cartwright or Bill Wennington...

Rodman was poor mans Howard basically .. which is about right.

Back