1 Day to August 28 / FCS Week Zero

23 pete maravich.jpg
This guy is famous for causing an explosion in the chemistry lab at my high school. I watched Clemson beat Penn State in the 1987-88 Citrus Bowl in the house where he lived when his Dad was coach at Clemson, including the basement with the concrete floor that he had to keep dribbling on while watching TV.

Last edited:
23 Smiley Sanders.jpg
My favorite Clemson baseball player as a kid, Smiley Sanders. He ended up coaching baseball at my high school. Gotta love the double 23. Don't know who that is trying to make the tackle.

Last edited:
View attachment 57428
This guy is famous for causing an explosion in the chemistry lab at my high school. I watched Clemson beat Penn State in the 1987-88 Citrus Bowl in the house where he lived when his Dad was coach at Clemson, including the basement with the concrete floor that he had to keep dribbling on while watching TV.
Pistol Pete?

Sometimes I just think about how good this guy was.

images

@M.W.

Is that Terry Allen? Didn't he win comeback player of the year in the NFL after bunch of leg injuries? I don't remember him at Clemson, wouldn've been right when I started watching college ball.

@M.W.

Is that Terry Allen? Didn't he win comeback player of the year in the NFL after bunch of leg injuries? I don't remember him at Clemson, wouldn've been right when I started watching college ball.
Looked it up. NFL did not award a comeback player of the year award for a few decades (weird?), but his 1996 season with WAshington was the awesome one!

@M.W.

Yes. It's Terry Allen from Commerce, Georgia, where most people get off I-85 when driving from Clemson to Athens. (Another route, which I preferred, takes you through Royston, Ty Cobb's hometown.) The photo is from the memorable 1987 game where Clemson trailed 20-16 with 6 minutes to play and won with a safety followed by a drive to the UGA 4 to set up a FG as time expired.

Dooley blamed himself for calling a pass play at his own one. Ten years and two days earlier the Tigers had also beaten the Bulldogs by a single point. Clemson led 7-0 until Georgia scored with six seconds to play. Dooley decided to go for two. After a false start, he stuck with the plan, the conversion failed, and Clemson won 7-6. I listened to the game on the radio.

Last edited:
I was pretty impressed that you knew the number of a guy who played 30 years ago at a random ACC school that you‘re not connected to!
The Barber's? - that was back when Virginia was good so I remember!! haha!

Terry Allen? I used to be a bigger NFL fan than I am now so I knew the NFL connection. He was a pretty big deal in the league for a couple years and was a memorable story after the injury because of how good he was after the surgery.

The Barber's? - that was back when Virginia was good so I remember!! haha!

Terry Allen? I used to be a bigger NFL fan than I am now so I knew the NFL connection. He was a pretty big deal in the league for a couple years and was a memorable story after the injury because of how good he was after the surgery.

I remember the Sean Moore to Herman Moore connection for UVA. That was a good team.

I was pretty impressed that you knew the number of a guy who played 30 years ago at a random ACC school that you‘re not connected to!
I'm not sure which player/school you're referring to, but thanks. Tomorrow you will see a UNC tailback whose number I remember from the '70's.

I assure you I remember Lee Raker's, Jeff Lamp's, Jeff Jones's and Ralph Sampson's numbers. Oh, and Othello Wilson's.

I remember the Sean Moore to Herman Moore connection for UVA. That was a good team.
That was a GREAT team. They beat Clemson for the first time ever after 29 straight losses, and Clemson (along with GT, UVA, and Miami) was one of the four best teams in the country.

That was a GREAT team. They beat Clemson for the first time ever after 29 straight losses, and Clemson (along with GT, UVA, and Miami) was one of the four best teams in the country. And they shoukl have beaten Georgia Tech (they lost 41-38).

Oh, and UVA -- in its loss to Tech that spoiled the perfect season -- pulled a Tommy Bowden. They scored a TD with 10 men on the field and 7 men on the LOS. (Bowden lost games to GT and Maryland where Clemson did teh same thing.) The rule has subsequently been changed, but that won't help the Hoos.

And eight years later . . . .

ATLANTA, Ga. (AP) – In case anyone missed one of the great college football games of 1990, Georgia Tech and Virginia replayed it Saturday.

Dez White capped a record-breaking game by taking a short pass for a 54-yardtouchdown with 4:40 remaining Saturday, giving No. 25 Georgia Tech a stunning 41-38 victory over seventh-ranked Virginia.

“That score sounds familiar,” Tech coach George O’Leary deadpanned.

O’Leary was defensive coordinator for the Yellow Jackets in 1990 when they beat the Cavaliers by the same 41-38 score, knocking Virginia from its No. 1 ranking while Tech went on to claim a share of the national title.

The parallels between the two games are eerie. In 1990, Virginia raced to a 28-14 halftime lead and finished with 512 yards against the Yellow Jackets. This time, the Cavs led 38-17 five minutes into the third quarter and finishedwith a staggering 600 yards.

It wasn’t enough in either game.

Then there was the 2001 game. Tech led 20-14 going into the fourth quarter. The teams then combined for seven touchdowns (and seven lead changes) and just one extra point the rest of the way. UVA won 39-38.

Somewhere, an executive at ESPN must be kicking himself. Had its cameras been at Scott Stadium on Saturday, as was the original announcement from the ACC office, the network would have had an instant classic. (They chose ECU v. Cincinnati.)

What more could you want? The lead changed hands seven times in the final period. You had a 100-yard kickoff return, a record that will never be broken. You had one quarterback throw for 486 yards, another for 327 and five touchdowns. You had two teams combining for 477 yards in the fourth quarter alone.

And you had a 14 1/2-point underdog winning on the old hook-and-ladder with 22 seconds remaining.

Alvin Pearman took a lateral from Billy McMullen, who had just caught a short pass from Bryson Spinner, and sprinted 27 yards to lift Virginia to a 39-38 victory against No. 20 Georgia Tech. Just when it appeared the Cavaliers would drop their sixth consecutive game, they found a most improbable way to win.

"Great call by Bill there at the end," Groh said, referring to offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave. "Desperate times call for desperate measures, as they say."

You'd have never guessed Virginia hadn't practiced the play since August. (The game was played on November 10.)

Fourth quarter

UVA-McMullen 9 pass from Spinner (Greene kick), 13:12.

GT-Burns 1 run (pass failed), 9:24.

UVA-Mason 100 kickoff return (rush failed), 9:07.

GT-Gregory 12 run (rush failed), 5:55.

UVA-Foreman 8 pass from Spinner (pass failed), 2:51.

GT-Watkins 36 pass from Godsey (pass failed), 1:45.

UVA-Pearman 27 run with lateral after McMullen 10 pass from

Spinner (pass failed), :22.

One of my favorites from the time, we forget who good some these players were as they pass through the sport and our lives as fans
4F0C1B3B-F841-44F3-8E98-958C538CF2A4.jpeg

And one for Twinkie, an all-timer
597113F0-9F13-46A7-AA0E-957C3EA38931.jpeg

I was in Germany trying to see from a table in the back. We all went nuts and danced and celebrated in the streets after...comically almost got into it with someone who roots for a rival region...the regional loyalty at the cost of national unity is always a German thing with a very deeply rooted history

I was in Germany trying to see from a table in the back. We all went nuts and danced and celebrated in the streets after...comically almost got into it with someone who roots for a rival region...the regional loyalty at the cost of national unity is always a German thing with a very deeply rooted history
I was in Atlanta. My dad was there for surgery at Emory. I watched with my parents. My dad was thrilled. Not like when the Phillies won the World Series in 1980 or when Clemson won the national championship in 1981. But it was a great moment. He died 6 months later.

Where is Goetze from? In '94, when the World Cup competition was held in the US, I hung out with a bunch of Bavarians ata the State Bar after Germany's game at Fair Park. The great thing was that a lot of then didn't speak English, so I git to speak German. Several of them were effusive in their praise of Shiner Bock.

Back