YoungGun11 Breeders Cup

YoungGun11

Collaborating w/ Tip
Well boys here we are, I don't see any reason we can 't make a ton of money. If you have ever read my horse racing threads, I am not a tout or looking to make any money or brag or anything. I only care about passing along knowledge and showing people how easy it is to win at this game. Like sports betting knowledge is key. However the only difference is you are playing other players not the house. I would like to think I am as knowledgeable as any but can always learn. I would love to get a discussion going, and ask any questions you have regarding a play or a take. Saratoga Champ!

I will keep this clean and to the point, so not sifting through a ton of fluff and junk. I am an exotic player and focus only on Pick 4's and Pick 5's. This way I can win 10-20% of my wagers and be profitable. If you want to focus on win wagers, that is great too as this is the weekend to do it. Odds will be generous and you should only need to win 2-3 tickets a day to break even. If you wish to bet on something over 5-1, I recommend putting WPS. I rarely recommend WPS however with big fields and big odds, it makes sense to bet across the board. You don't want to lose by a nose on your 12-1 shot and be down, instead of up. I will post who I am using in my pick 4 or pick 5. I will post a top pick, and in (parenthesis will be horses I would like to use, or am scared of but did not use.

Keeneland Friday 11:30 Central

1: If this is the worst race of the weekend, I am shocked. This race is full of speed and is the start of the pick 5. In a claiming race there is horses in here that have raced against monsters like Runhappy and Rockfall. I cannot figure out who is going to be the speed of the speed here, so I am opting for all of them. 23457 is the play. Top selection will be the 3 Bump Start who is 9-13 in the top 3 and lightly raced. 10-1 on the line but expect him to be bet down exiting a race in the mud against Runhappy. Should like the class relief today and has been favored in 3 of the last 7. Should be rolling late as the speed tires.
1: 23457 TOP PICK 3 BUMPSTART

2: Another 6 furlong sprint. I see this one pretty clearly and pretty chalky. I see the top picks all being between 2-1 and 7-2, as the drop off is quite steep. The 1 Steet Blush is a wild card, witching trainers and winning by open lengths in a 9 horse field at Saratoga is nothing to bat an eye at and could improve. Layoff, Post #1, first time winners kept me from making her my top pick. I will use the 15679 The 56 are the class of the field and could be favored. The 7 Chantline loves to run top 3 and is always competitive. I like 7 the least however I can't bring myself to leave out Santana and Asmussen who win 25% together. The 9 Smooth Caramel is a huge threat winning last 2 by open lengths no idea how good she is off the claim. Top pick is the 5 Titanium. 2nd off the layoff and cutting back. I like the ability to sit close and work out a good trip. I expect all of 3-1 on her as I feel 1 and 9 are likely to be bet down.
2: 15679 TOP Pick 5 Titanium

3: 7 furlong spring where 10 go, and finally see some viable long shots. I will use thje 1 Sweet daddy on my ticket. Any horse regardless of surface or class who wins 3 in a row and is 6 for 19 has my attention. This horse has a desire to win. The knock is never been on the dirt but sports a bullet work at Hawthorne who is notorious for being a deep tiring track. I will use 134679. This is a difficult race as 7 furlongs usually is. I think the 2810 could catch a piece for you exotic players playing tri's and supers. 9 Truth or Else is my top pick. Nothing sexy here, very simple. CLASS OF THE FIELD. 2nd time off layoff, and cutting back again. The others all have potential with great trainers, but will be running for 2nd. Don't leave 1 Sweet daddy off your ticket.
3: 134679 (2810) TOP PICK 9 The truth or else

4: Turf stakes race and here we go full field of 12. I think the 234 are WEAK. They are must uses but they are weak. I also am not crazy about the 9 who could run them off their feet or finish off the board. Horse is only 1 for 4 on the turf, although can never sleep on Lezcano and Mcpeek definitely the class, but will also be hammered at the window. I am using 234891012. The 5 and 6 scare me, good jockeys been running in classy races and scare me but don't fit the bill. Top pick will be the 10. I think Billy's Star will sit a good trip. The races on the turf at woodbine are the real deal and this horse has been competitive. Attfield spots his horses in the right spots and is 20% this year. Love the pick up of Rosario and will get all of 8-1 considering the 23 will be grossly overbet. Don't leave 12 out of exotics. If this horse takes to the turf which he could, watch out!
4: 234891012 (56) TOP PICK 10 Billy's Star

5: Fayetter G2. I think the good look good here but there are some sleepers underneath. V.E. day could be sitting on a big one off a nice freshening. Been running against some toughies lately like Honor Code, Liam's Map, tonalist, and Coach inge and running admirably. I hate that baffert ships and never gives an official work over the track. Must use but won't bet! Pletcher enters 3 and all come out of a clunker race. I am not sure if Race day will ever be the same but if he runs back he could win. The sleepers I can't use but would be good for exotics are the 12811. The 11 is sneaky from the 11th post and is jumping in class major, but he is 2-2 at Keeneland and seems to do what needs to be done to win at this track, just likely not good enough.
5: 34569 (18) TOP PICK 4 V.E. Day

6: BC Juvenile Turf. I singled the 8 Airoforce last time at 5-1 from the 14th post, and he ran as expected and crushed. I can't go against a horse who has done everything asked of him. 2-2 winning first time going to turns and from the 14th post is impressive and should onlu improve. The 8th post will be perfect for him with this many entered. I as usually think highly of the euro's but man did they get fucked on the post positions, especially on this track and this distance they will need a lot to fall into place for them. It should be noted the likely favorite the 14 horse is 2-2 and even beat 22 horses his first race out. This race can make your head spin, and will be all about sitting the trip. It pains me that all of my picks are on the outside.
6: 6810121314 (25711) TOP PICK 8 Airoforce

7: BC Dirt Mile. Don't get cute, don't overthink it. LIAM'S MAP LIAM'S MAP. He will be untouched in this race which is why they chose this one. Use 6 in all exotics and underneath, sleeper can run.
7: 13589 (26710) TOP PICK 3 Liam's Map.

8: BCJuvenile Fillies Turf. When I cap Fillies, I often find it is hard to find a consistent female, this is in my personal life and in my horse capping. These things are hit or miss.My top pick is the 10 illuminate. She is 4-4 in the top 2 and been running against some toughies, including wining by 2 lengths in a 18 horse field. The main threats also on my ticket are 3478. I think 4 looks great however he will be challenged all the way around by the 5 who is cheap speed. Harmonize will be over bet and no value. If you use the 8 I am not sure how you don't use the 7, which is 10-1 instead of 7-2.
8: 234781012 TOP PICK 10 ILLUMINATE

9: BCDistaff. I just can't find a way around 7 Wedding Toast. It isn't too appealing being the favorite, but with UNBETTABLE out and no Beholder, I think this horse has the best chance. This will be my single in pick 4 I believe. The others to include are 4891214 some of the main contenders got the worst posts, I think I am most afraid of 9 and 12 don't sleep on those at a decent price. This is a race I would feel great taking my picks and boxing them in exacta's tri's and super's think it is covered.
9: 47891214 (1) TOP PICK 7WEDDING TOAST

WILL BE ADDING MORE, BUT NEED TO RUN NOW. FEEL FREE TO POST ANY THOUGHTS OR QUESTIONS!!!!

Last edited:
I was looking at PP's today and in BC Juv Turf I agree it is hard not to like the 8 Airoforce. Horse really looks good to me. BOL.

I was looking at PP's today and in BC Juv Turf I agree it is hard not to like the 8 Airoforce. Horse really looks good to me. BOL.

Couldn't agree more, but I am biased since I singled at 8-1 in the 14 post, and the horse crushed for fun. So of course I have a sweet spot in my heart

Great work here YoungGun. I've got my Friday card capped and looking forward to the World Series of horse racing. Might start a thread in the am or chime in here with my picks. Best wishes cash tickets.

YoungGun,

Thanks for the write-up, and congrats on your big bet cashing. That was a great story and read. I have to admit that I have VERY limited experience in betting on horse racing, and I'm not sure how to go about it. I was going to try and do some pick 3's and 4's. I use 5dimes, but when I go to their racebook, I only see these options (besides WPS, exacta, and so on):
Race 1: Pick 3
Race 2: Pick 3
Race 3: Pick 3 and Pick 4
Race 4: Pick 3
Race 5: Pick 3 and Pick 6
Race 6: Pick 3 and Pick 4
Race 7: Pick 3 and Pick 4
Race 8: Pick 3

Do you know why pick 5's aren't available in any race, and why only a couple offer pick 4 and 6?

Also, how do I go about actually betting them? Let's say I want to tail you and do a Pick 3 with the first three races. Do I just select 23457 in race 1, then 15679 in race 2, and 134679 in race 3? Or is there some other method where I can weight your top pick in a "higher way?"

I've gone to this link (http://www.horsemenspark.com/horse_racing.asp) to get an idea, but my betting options/slip look nothing like this.

Sorry for all of the rookie questions, but I would like to get into it more but I'd still like to be smart with my money. :)

Hooked,

There's a Pick 5 starting in Race 1 that most horse racing ADW's will carry, but a lot of regular gambling sites won't. Not sure why except that most gambling sites only allow bets in $1 increments and the Pick 5 is a very popular 50 cent bet.

The Pick 4's and Pick 6 match what the Breeder's Cup is using for their betting structure (as are the Pick 3's). They only feature them in a few races in order to guarantee bigger pools as they are popular bets.

From what I know about Young Gun's style he tends to use one "single" in his sequence. So if you were tailing him you'd use all the horses he considers contenders in each of 3 races and use just his top choice in the other race. You'll usually make 2, 3 or 4 different bets for a sequence depending on how many top choices he's willing to single. By using a single it helps keep the cost down, and with multiple bets with different singles, if he's right on all of them you get paid multiple times.

Others will take the group of contenders and weight them as "A" (top choices), "B" (decent shot/decent price) and sometimes "C" (longshot) level based on how much they like each horse. Then they create a series of wagers: All A's, 3 A's with 1 B, 2 A's with 2 B's, 3 A's with 1 C. You have to be discerning with this method and "break some eggs" or else the budget will take a hit.

Best of luck!

Hooked,

There's a Pick 5 starting in Race 1 that most horse racing ADW's will carry, but a lot of regular gambling sites won't. Not sure why except that most gambling sites only allow bets in $1 increments and the Pick 5 is a very popular 50 cent bet.

The Pick 4's and Pick 6 match what the Breeder's Cup is using for their betting structure (as are the Pick 3's). They only feature them in a few races in order to guarantee bigger pools as they are popular bets.

From what I know about Young Gun's style he tends to use one "single" in his sequence. So if you were tailing him you'd use all the horses he considers contenders in each of 3 races and use just his top choice in the other race. You'll usually make 2, 3 or 4 different bets for a sequence depending on how many top choices he's willing to single. By using a single it helps keep the cost down, and with multiple bets with different singles, if he's right on all of them you get paid multiple times.

Others will take the group of contenders and weight them as "A" (top choices), "B" (decent shot/decent price) and sometimes "C" (longshot) level based on how much they like each horse. Then they create a series of wagers: All A's, 3 A's with 1 B, 2 A's with 2 B's, 3 A's with 1 C. You have to be discerning with this method and "break some eggs" or else the budget will take a hit.

Best of luck!

Gandolf,

Thanks for the reply. A lot of that still is a foreign language to me, but I'm closer to understanding it. I don't know how to do the various betting boxes on 5dimes to capture what you're talking about, so I'll play it close to the vest.

Great work here YoungGun. I've got my Friday card capped and looking forward to the World Series of horse racing. Might start a thread in the am or chime in here with my picks. Best wishes cash tickets.

Looking forward to seeing your picks, and would love to discuss. I'm at the track as we speak. Skipping this pick 5 as I don't feel confident I can knock down my ticket enough.

If I were crafting tickets, Gandolph is right I try to locate a "single" by single I mean a race where I use only one horse. If I say 23457 single 4. It means on every ticket I will use 23457 but on one of my ticket I will single 4 and only use the 4. So for example.

134679 Pick 3=$30

(the way you calculate it is, since it is a dollar wager it is 1x5x6=$30)

134679 Pick 3=$30

9 Pick 3=$25

If I were crafting tickets, Gandolph is right I try to locate a "single" by single I mean a race where I use only one horse. If I say 23457 single 4. It means on every ticket I will use 23457 but on one of my ticket I will single 4 and only use the 4. So for example.

134679 Pick 3=$30

(the way you calculate it is, since it is a dollar wager it is 1x5x6=$30)

134679 Pick 3=$30

9 Pick 3=$25

Gotcha. Out of the races that you have written about, I don't notice any that you have a single horse in any of them, unless you are doing that with your top picks. Would love to hear your thoughts though and whether I'm reading that right or not.

I will detail my singles as it gets closer to races. My top picks are who I think will win and have value at the same time. No one wins if they bet the even money favorite everytime. The first race my picks were the top 4, unfortunately my top pick was only one not included in top 4. I will post my pick 4 here shortly. I am determining my singles now. There is a chance my single, may differ from my top pick in rare instances, as I usually bet with a partner and take their consideration into account. One single is mine, and one is theres at times. Looking forward to chatting. Hopefully get the 5 home here and be-alive in pick 3 to 6 horses.

I will detail my singles as it gets closer to races. My top picks are who I think will win and have value at the same time. No one wins if they bet the even money favorite everytime. The first race my picks were the top 4, unfortunately my top pick was only one not included in top 4. I will post my pick 4 here shortly. I am determining my singles now. There is a chance my single, may differ from my top pick in rare instances, as I usually bet with a partner and take their consideration into account. One single is mine, and one is theres at times. Looking forward to chatting. Hopefully get the 5 home here and be-alive in pick 3 to 6 horses.
That sounds good, and I played the 7 as well. We're still alive, and I'll be on the lookout for more to come. Excited to try and learn more as we go. Thanks so much!

That was a prime example of a horse getting away. You can't let a horse get an open lead going slow. Fractions of 23 and 46 are slow. Rule of thumb for a furlong, every furlong is 12 seconds would be a good workout. So when capping 4 furlongs, a good workout is anything 48 or under. However it should be noted not all trainers work their horses fact. 1 Furlong=12 seconds. 8 furlongs=Mile

By the way it should be noted I am not starting pick 3's every race or singling every top pick. Just trying to be up front and honest. Pick 4 will be posted soon, and feel confident in what I have.

So when you say single 9 and 8 in those races, you make the same bet twice, but one time with just them and another with all of those horses in those races?

Yes that is accurate, I hope you missed it. It is shitty when horses you had in () parenthesis as maybe's or would adds if not for funds... Win ouch. Had 134679 (2810) with 9 being top pick finishes 2nd, and the maybe horse wins. Atleast got money back on WPS on the 9.

Yes that is accurate, I hope you missed it. It is shitty when horses you had in () parenthesis as maybe's or would adds if not for funds... Win ouch. Had 134679 (2810) with 9 being top pick finishes 2nd, and the maybe horse wins. Atleast got money back on WPS on the 9.

Yeah, I had a pick 4 going starting with race 3 that included your picks and some others, but missed. It happens. Would love your thoughts on other races.

Here is what I am rolling with right now. On a day like today all it takes one hit. As you can see in the other thread it only takes one hit.

Pick 3 here, in the first leg I am cutting down. Off to a cold start and saving money for late pick 4 and pick 5.

234891012 single 10 $15
34569 (18)single 4 $21
6810121314 (25711) single 8 $17.50

Parenthesis add at your own risk, but like last time my maybe horse knocked me out.

Here is what I am rolling with right now. On a day like today all it takes one hit. As you can see in the other thread it only takes one hit.

Pick 3 here, in the first leg I am cutting down. Off to a cold start and saving money for late pick 4 and pick 5.

234891012 single 10 $15
34569 (18)single 4 $21

Parenthesis add at your own risk, but like last time my maybe horse knocked me out.

Gotcha, thanks. Unfortunately I wasn't able to add this one in time. I still don't totally get what the betting box should look like (i.e. for race #5, should I do one with 4 by itself and then another with all paired or something else). Don't know what size bets you are making to get to those dollar amounts either. I'll tail as best I can. Haha.

234891012 single 10 $15
34569 (18)single 4 $21

Broken down your tickets would look like this.

Does that make sense? I just condense it down. So when I say single, I mean on one ticket I will only use that horse.

Like here would be an example of a pick 3 I would play if I was starting right now. $.50

5x6x1=$30 divided by2 since it is .50 and not $1, =$15

Paid $42.50

Last edited:
Here is what I am thinking for this 1.5 million pick 4. I am debating on picking 2 singles.

6:6810121314 (25711) single 8
7:13589 (26710) single 3
8:234781012 (5) single 10
9:47891214 (1) single 7

Will likely play 2 of these 4 tickets.Currently leaning towards singling the 3 in the 7th and the 7 in the 9th.

Last edited:
Final tickets

26810121314 (5711)
13589 (26710) single 3
147891214 Single 7

Last edited:
Last pick 4 of the day, looking to hit a biggy. Have had every winning horse in my selections, yet haven't cashed and haven't been on top. Some days will go like this, I am just happy that every winner was written down and on a ticket. Just need to get a single right

7: 13589
8: 10
9: 47891214
10: 24891314

$90

No worries, only way to see it before the race is to look at the "will pay" tab before the final race

This is how we all learned at one point. Let's get some longshots here or the 10. It is fun when your single has already won.

Alive in the pick 4 on both tickets. If 7 wins, hit it twice.

1: $319
4: $420
x2 7: $488
8: $692
9: $615
12: $405
14: $412

WON $420

Last edited:
Alive in the pick 4 on both tickets. If 7 wins, hit it twice.

1: $319
4: $420
x2 7: $488
8: $692
9: $615
12: $405
14: $412

Man, I hit two pick 3's (.50 bets) and lost money. I clearly didn't tail properly. May need a better understanding before I move forward.

I got off to a very very late start this morning so this is late, but wanted to get it posted.

3: 127910 single 10
4: 13567
5: 456714
6: 36891112 single 3

missed getting something in for the 5th, was considering a pick 3 for the 6, 7 8th. any horses you like in the 8th?

missed getting something in for the 5th, was considering a pick 3 for the 6, 7 8th. any horses you like in the 8th?

8: 3456791112

haha can't nbarrow it down. I love Tepin but a Filly against the boys is tough. As always Euros on the turf.

Pick 3 I posted in the 5th race is a $30 ticket and is alive to the 5 and 13. The payouts are

5: 288
13:350

Pick 3 posted In the 6th race is alive in the 8th race I have 8 horses that payout.

3: 102
4: 175
5: 290
6: 333
7: 120
9: 112
11: 199
12: 233

Last edited:
Pick 4

8: 3456791112
9: 12345791013 single 9
10: 1478910

11: 123459 single 4

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER $762. awesome WAY TO GO OUT ON AN AWESOME HORSE.

Last edited:
More pick 3's and pick 4's up about $200 today so far.

Pick 3
10: 1478910 single 1

Pick 4:
10: 1478910 single 1
11: 123459
12: 45678

pick 3 paid $113

Last edited:
Last pick 3 set here and going out with a bang. so much money on the table is insane, let's get it.

10: 147891011 single 1
12: 45678 Single 5

paid $136

Last edited:
What an amazing amazing way to end the weekend. I couldn't imagine Pharaoh winning and the pick 4 pays $762. Brings me to tears seeing that horse go out like that, and to win $762 on it as well.

I couldn't imagine winning pick 4's back to back days. I hope you guys had a good weekend. What a ride.

Back